PDA

View Full Version : Romanian gymnasts get 5 year ban

Warrior
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Three Romanian women gymnasts have been punished by their national federation for giving a nude performance in Japan.

Double Olympic gold medallist Lavinia Milosovici, 26, Claudia Presecan and Corina Ungureanu were barred for a period of five years from coaching or refereeing in gymnastics in Romania.

Milosovici, who won the floor exercise and vault titles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and was a five-time world champion, no longer competes at international level.

The trio had "tarnished the image of gymnastics" with their naked performance on competition-standard apparatus such as the balance beam in a DVD filmed in Chiba prefecture outside Tokyo, said the Romanian gymnastics federation president Nicolae Vieru.

"This decision is a result of the negative reaction in Japan after the broadcasting of pictures of the three gymnasts in the nude," said Vieru.

The gymnasts' performance was partially broadcast in a late-night show on a private Japanese television network.

Vieru said the International Gymnastics Federation would consider punishing the trio when it met in January.

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Lavinia :eek:
i quite liked her ........ :o

omg :eek:

The Crow
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:28 PM
This can't be legal, can it?? (I assume it wasn't an official tourney, so what the gymnast "do" in their spare time is their business)

jrm
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Lavinia :eek:
i quite liked her ........ :o

omg :eek:

i liked her to

she was one the last gymnasts who got perfect 10

salima
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Gymnastic video:
http://members.aol.com/gymcrash5/ceg.mpg

gmt
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Well, it is obvious that those athletes did what they did for money and not for sports (Lavina stated more or less that much). And what the Japanese federation chairman said has some truth in it about the message thus given to young gymnasts.
On the other hand, I find it rather amusing to view the controversy under the light of the word "gymnastics" and its etymology... It comes from ancient Greek gymnos=nude. As a matter of fact, ancient Greeks sometimes did openly what even bold and morally "free" people would hardly dare to do at home nowadays, to follow André Breton's comments on Aristophanes's Lysistrata astonishing play ;)

G-Ha
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Can't a girl(s) make a few bucks? What is the big deal?

And I'd hardly be concerned about Japan having a "negative reaction", afterall, this is the country that still finds pubic hair offensive and won't allow it to be shown in print or video.

irma
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:58 PM
in what century do we live?

rated_next
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:57 AM
:eek:

TS
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:08 AM
Naked on the balance beam?

Ouch and woah :o :eek:

DutchieGirl
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:15 AM
stupid romanian federation... if it's not at a proper tourney, then they can do what they want... the fedration should have no say in that! :fiery:

Martian KC
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:31 AM
Lavinia was my favorite gymnast after Zmeskal left the sport!:eek:

Dawn Marie
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:21 AM
GIRLS GONE WILD:D

Warrior
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:31 PM
Five years ban is certainly too harsh and unfair!

selesfan1
Dec 21st, 2002, 09:47 PM
21st I believe. the reason for the ban is not because they are from Romania it is because they also work with the Romanian Federation as coaches and staff. If they weren't working for the federation they wouldn't care. It is a mater professionalism. Riht now if Anna K,Barbara S, Daniela H,and Jelena D. played a nude doubles matc the same thig would hppen. but once they are retired o are no longer involved in tennis no one would care.

Warrior
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Nudity scandal proves costly

TIMISOARA (Romania) - Former gymnastics star Claudia Presecan has quit her job as a sports teacher after appearing nude in a DVD film and photographs published in Japan.

A scandal erupts after (from left) Presecan, Milosovici and Ungureanu appear nude in a DVD film and pictures. -- AP
The film and a photo album shows her with fellow-former gymnasts Lavinia Milosovici, 26, and Corina Ungureanu, 22, posing and performing gymnastics naked. Some pictures show the women wearing Romanian gymnastics uniforms.

Presecan took the all-around gold and the team gold at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, while Milosovici won two gold medals at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Presecan, 23, resigned from her teaching job after her nude photos appeared in the Romanian media and parents called on the school to fire her.

''She said she was too ashamed to come back,'' said the school's principal Maria Jula.

Presecan had taught sports at the school in Timisoara - a city about 500km north-west of Bucharest - for about four months. She retired from gymnastics in 2000 and went on to complete a university degree in sports.

The nude photos have sparked a scandal in Romania and Japan, with Romania narrowly escaping a ban on its gymnasts participating in competitions in Japan.

Ungureanu, a member of the Romanian team that won the World Championship in 1997 and 1999, said she accepted the punishment as ''fair'', adding that she and her former team-mates were wrong to use the emblem of the Romanian federation. AP

Messenger
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by G-Ha
Can't a girl(s) make a few bucks? What is the big deal?

And I'd hardly be concerned about Japan having a "negative reaction", afterall, this is the country that still finds pubic hair offensive and won't allow it to be shown in print or video.

It's all to do with cultural differences. Japan isn't necessarily more conservative - for example nudity is not viewed as inappropriate in kids cartoons but perhaps they are less open to real-life nudity.

DiNaPic
Dec 24th, 2002, 08:11 AM
for those who want to see the pics, click on

http://forum.mokkels.nl/

go to section
Buitenlandse Mokkels
look for thread
Turnsters uit Roemenië

sorry, no direct link possible :angel: