PDA

View Full Version : In tennis history has their been anyone more beautiful than Anna K?

selesadmirer
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Yeah im intersted to know in tennis history has their been anyone that has been more beautiful than kournikova,or that comes pretty close?

Evonne Goolagong
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, to me there are two ... Gabriela Sabatini and Carling Bassett-Seguso.

Rocketta
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:38 PM
I would say yes Gabriela Sabatini, Kimiko Date.

anton
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:49 PM
no not if you consider the "standard" idea of beauty which is cute, blue eyes, blonde hair, but this is not the only way to be beautiful. People such as Hally Berry and Naomi Campbell are just as good looking IMHO.

GoDominique
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't call Anna 'beautiful'.

anton
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:53 PM
why not? a lot of people love a "baby face".

GoDominique
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Well, that's exactly my point. Anna might be sexy and everything, but her face is not beautiful IMO.

Yak
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
Well, that's exactly my point. Anna might be sexy and everything, but her face is not beautiful IMO.

Well that's your opinion and you are allowed to think whatever you want but :rolleyes:

anton
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:58 PM
well a "baby face" represents youth so she could have a lot worse things. this means she will look younger than she is which is not a bad thing i think she would say

Havok
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Jelena Dokic is way hotter than Anna IMO!

Experimentee
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:13 PM
I dont even think shes the most beautiful currently on tour. Beauty is so subjective anyway, you cant have a record for "most beautiful" coz everyone will have a different opinion.

way
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Leaving aside pesonal opinions about Anna's supposed beauty, the same (almost the same) impact on the media Anna provoked was caused by lots of tennis players n the fifties when they started wearing "unorthodox" dresses.
Go and check "Blast for the past" for this (and many more :) ) details!

To my knowledge, a similar impact was the one Andrea Temesvari had just in Italy and, yes, Gabriela Sabatini, in a minor way but all over the world.

Volcana
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:46 PM
selesadmirer - The genral concensus answer to your question seems to be, 'yes'.

nuriboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Hahahahaha! I don´t think Anna is the most beautiful player ever in tennis. She´s cute and everything, but I think that there many players who are as if not more beautiful than her!! She´s more sexy( the shorts & all) than beautiful to me.

Roseie
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:16 PM
SO, now it's the media whose opinion counts on who is the most beautiful woman.
To me, Anna is not beautiful, & my opinion is just as good as theirs.
Who voted them in as judges of beauty. She is so media hyped, it's getting boring.

Glenn
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Gabriela Sabatini, Steffi Graf.

angele87
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:26 PM
IMO, Anna isn't even the most beautiful girl on tour right now (far from it actually) so the answer to your question would be no!

Yak
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry, she is!

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Anna is by far the most gorgeous player on tour! God people! Everyone has the right to their opinion, though. I think there are the few of you that may honestly feel that she isn't the best-looking, but most of you are simply in denial! She didn't win the Sexiest Woman in the World 2002 in the United States AND Europe for no reason! She won it because she is STUNNINGY gorgeous and sexy as hell...

Infiniti2001
Dec 20th, 2002, 03:55 PM
In tennis history has their been anyone more beautiful than Anna K?

HELL yes!! I personally don't find puffy cheeks and beady eyes beautiful, then again who the hell am I?? If any of you think that she gets all this male attention because of her beauty, you are sadly mistaken... The problem is that she is being marketed as a sex kitten. And in the case of most guys, give them some skin and you could have a face like a troll; they wouldn't notice.:eek:

Rocketta
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by dlandy22
Anna is by far the most gorgeous player on tour! God people! Everyone has the right to their opinion, though. I think there are the few of you that may honestly feel that she isn't the best-looking, but most of you are simply in denial! She didn't win the Sexiest Woman in the World 2002 in the United States AND Europe for no reason! She won it because she is STUNNINGY gorgeous and sexy as hell...

umm, fyi at the time FHM did that poll by the end of 2001 they had a circulation under 50,000. So how exactly does that number reflect the US & Europe?

besides I never voted in that poll and don't know anyone who did. did you?

Pureracket
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Take a serious look at that one tennis player. I think her name is Krueger or something like that. She is from Austria or Germany or something. If she could play better tennis, you all would see what I'm talking about.

M&M
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:36 PM
http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/590/518pry3.jpg
:kiss:marta domachowska:kiss:

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/587/518magda.jpg
:kiss:magdalena grzybowska:kiss:

http://stud.pam.szczecin.pl/~krzysb/images/nowe/jsako9.jpg
:kiss:joanna sakowicz:kiss:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:38 PM
You guys, get real! Your *personal opinions*, don't matter! GENERALLY, there has never been a woman more gorgeous than Anna who has been THIS phenomenal JUST from her beautiful. Yeah Jelena and Sabatini may be beautiful. But my man friends know Anna and have her calenders. Dokic and Sabatini are not as much, household names. Come on, name someone who has had the kind of following and monetal success that Anna has had from their beauty--ugh, no one! Of course, there is no judge as to who the most beautiful girl is ever. But I think this question is generally speaking, because there has never been quite as big a phenom as Anna is.

Mrs. Peel
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by RUS_4_EVER
I'm sorry, she is!

I'm sorry,, SHE AIN'T!! :rolleyes: lmfao...she's a total sex kitten but the most beautiful? NOT

BK4ever
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Everyone's idea of whats beautiful is different. Anna's PR agency should get lots of praise for successfully marketing her as the prettiest.

They have done a great job.

Having seen anna up close I would define her as simply cute by my standards.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Rocketta
umm, fyi at the time FHM did that poll by the end of 2001 they had a circulation under 50,000. So how exactly does that number reflect the US & Europe?

besides I never voted in that poll and don't know anyone who did. did you?

FHM USA and FHM Europe are different (fhmus.com) (fhm.com). And more than 50,000 people voted for both of the polls FYI. And yes, I did vote by the way and I know other people that voted. Of the 30 or so people I know who voted on the poll, half of them voted for Ms. Kournikova.

Steffica Greles
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Many:

Beauty, to me, encompasses many features. True, you can't really put Martina Navratilova in the list, because however charismatic, she made no real effort to look elegant.

But aura, personality, style, grace, femininity and mannerisms are each important, and make many players outweigh Anna Kournikova in the "beauty" stakes.

Gabriela Sabatini
Evonne Goolagong
Chris Evert
Mary Pierce
Sabine Appelmans
Anke Huber
Steffi Graf
Monica Seles
Kimiko Date
Chanda Rubin

selesadmirer
Dec 20th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Gabriela was also pretty.

Ma. Estefania
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Marta Marrero is very beautiful, just as Jelena, Martina H., Dementieva(doll's face!)
Apart, there was also Gaby Sabatini.

GrandSlammed
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Grown men are infatuated with Kournikova for ONE reason only - FANTASYF-CK .. has nothing to do with beauty. I can see all kinds of more beautiful women than Kournikova at the local supermarket, spending their foodstamps.

Kournikova is a man's #3 fantasy - UNDERAGE **ssy. POINTBLANK. That's her appeal with ADULT men. She looks the "part".. it's not about her alledged beauty. Now, deny that shit! ...thought so.

A tie/#2 - Busting out sweet little christian virgins.
Screwing an experienced, freaknasty goodlooking married woman AND her three or four adult daughters, with only the mother knowing that you're banging ALL of them. (Ooooh!! damn!)

#1 - Getting multiple **ssy at the same time, ALL the time.

Sorry to be so harsh with you ninnies, but I can't take your foolishness any longer... now 'ya know..

CappyMania
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:38 PM
If Anna would have Dokic's body then all this hype would be worth it.

daniela's necklace
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CappyMania
If Anna would have Dokic's body then all this hype would be worth it.

or Barbara Schett's for that matter ;)

daniela's necklace
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:48 PM
http://www.geocities.com/shameless_poster/danny2.txt

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/love/luxlove.gif

sailntiger
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:40 AM
:angel: A. Kournikova is beautiful but as someone said earlier, to each his own:angel:

:hearts: :wavey: However, my own personal opinion is Justine Henin Hardenne!!! :wavey: :hearts:

:cool: And yes, i know she is married. Doesn't change my opinion one bit, though :cool:

sailntiger
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:44 AM
:angel: :angel: A. Kournikova is beautiful but as someone said earlier, to each his own:angel: :angel:

:hearts: :hearts: :wavey: However, my own personal opinion is Justine Henin Hardenne!!! :wavey: :hearts: :hearts:

:cool: :cool: :bounce: And yes, i know she is married. Doesn't change my opinion one bit, though :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Fingon
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:35 AM
Well I've seen Anna in person, so to be fair I will only list players that I have seen in person as well:

Barbara Schett
Elena Dementieva
Lina Krasnoroutskaya
Anne-Gaelle Sidot
Jelena Dokic
Jana Nejedly
Marta Marrero
Daniela Hantuchova
Amanda Coetzer

THE NET
Dec 21st, 2002, 06:54 AM
As fas as I know....NO ONE!

danielrosario
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Anne-Gaelle Sidot is my choice!

caramel
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Daniela Hantuchova and Elena Dementieve look waaaaaay better than Anna.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Federer_Chick
You guys, get real! Your *personal opinions*, don't matter! GENERALLY, there has never been a woman more gorgeous than Anna who has been THIS phenomenal JUST from her beautiful. Yeah Jelena and Sabatini may be beautiful. But my man friends know Anna and have her calenders. Dokic and Sabatini are not as much, household names. Come on, name someone who has had the kind of following and monetal success that Anna has had from their beauty--ugh, no one! Of course, there is no judge as to who the most beautiful girl is ever. But I think this question is generally speaking, because there has never been quite as big a phenom as Anna is.

Seeing as the thread was calling for opinions, they do indeed matter.

There has never been a player who has been marketted quite like Anna. SO to compare her to players who are not, and have not been marketted from the time that they were illegal and undeveloped, would cause one to draw false conclusions.

The question was "has there ever been anyone more beautiful than Annak" in tennis history. Not "has there ever been someone who received so much international attention on their physical appearance, after being heavily marketted as a sex kitten?"

Anyhow, I'm a fan of Anna as a tennis player. But I certaintly think there are prettier girls on tour - past and present.

Not refering to Mrs Guga's post here - but those of you who roll your eyes at the mere thought that people might *gasp* find other people beautiful - do you live in boxes, or what?

irma
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:27 AM
if somebody would write in 10 papers that I am the most beautiful then people wouls say so too!

auntie janie
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Great post, Rebecca. (You too, Irma!) :):)

Sridevi
Dec 21st, 2002, 01:46 PM
There have certainly been more beautiful players than Anna. However they weren't hyped from such a young age by Bollitieri and IMG, nor were they dating 26-year-olds when they were 14 thereby fueling male fantasies and positioning themsleves as sex objects.

Kudos to Anna and her Reps for parlaying average looks into a worldwide phenomenon. Even when the hype first started I would see peictures of Anna and think is she really considered beautiful? I still don't get it. I think her penchant for provocative photos is what makes her seem more attractive to men. It certainly can't be her beady eyes and chubby cheeks. BTW-- Anna's eyes aren't blue though I noticed that they are frequently airbrushed that color in photos. I guess even Anna doesn't live up to the Euro standard of beauty.

GrandSlammed
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:22 PM
Kournikova is fantasy #3... that's what's being marketed about her, that explains her popularity.. end of discussion.

Smart
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:09 PM
Dani and Sharapova looks good.

ajayares
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Sridevi
BTW-- Anna's eyes aren't blue though I noticed that they are frequently airbrushed that color in photos. I guess even Anna doesn't live up to the Euro standard of beauty.

Umm who said they were Blue??
Perhaps you have a problem distinguishing between the colour blue and the actual colour of her eyes, which BTW are Dark Green, now I am sure you will come up with a Pic which Clearly shows that her eyes aren't dark green.. :rolleyes:
Fact is it is very hard to tell the difference between those two colours when viewing a picture from a distance..
So, perhaps you are coloured blind, yeah that's probably what it is..

Crazy Canuck
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Eye colour! Now THERE is somethign worth getting offended over!

auntie janie
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
LOL :D

*JR*
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Rita Grande. "Darling Carling" Basett. Rachel McQuillan. If how those who play the game for a living, er, stack up agaist this "Simone" created by marketing mavens, I'd go over the Starz galleries and probably find a dozen more actual players to list.

Double Fault
Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
No, she is not the most beautiful player ever. In my opinion anyway. Federer_Chick, we were asked for our opinions on this, so "getting real" is a moot point.

ajayares
Dec 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Eye colour! Now THERE is somethign worth getting offended over!

Oh, that's what it is, yeah really offended that someone got it wrong :rolleyes:

Messenger
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by M&M
http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/590/518pry3.jpg
:kiss:marta domachowska:kiss:

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/587/518magda.jpg
:kiss:magdalena grzybowska:kiss:

http://stud.pam.szczecin.pl/~krzysb/images/nowe/jsako9.jpg
:kiss:joanna sakowicz:kiss:

Magdalena G is pretty. She had a lot of potential and shouldn't have retired.

MinskLynx
Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:51 PM
Patricia Wartusch is a fox, but not more attractive than Anna.

Henrieta Nagyova however, is deffinately more attractive than Anna.

http://wtatour.com/assets/personnel_image/mug156.jpg

harloo
Dec 22nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
The question should be Is Anna even worthy of being mentioned in tennis history? My answer is no. I'm not gonna even front, Anna is a beautiful girl eurocentric feature wise which is the "supposed" standard of beauty.

IMO, Anna is the most heavily marketed sexpot in women's sports ever which is not a great honour history wise. Her image degrades the success of women's sports that has made strides to become respected. Anna is the most beautiful externally, but I would question her internal beauty. Anna has played the role of the dumb blonde for too long which alot of men are attracted too. I think she is a talented player, but she is caught up in her own web of delusion. In order for her to succeed she must not kill the image, but repress it so she can live up to her potential. I fear it might be too late though.;)

Pamela Shriver
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:41 PM
Pfffffft! Even now, I'm far better looking than Anna

selesadmirer
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
Pfffffft! Even now, I'm far better looking than Anna Pam rate your self on a scale of 1-10 on sexy.

Pamela Shriver
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:52 PM
1-10? Pffft! My beauty breaks the Richter scale!

nuriboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:55 PM
Whoowowoowowowow Pammy! I didn´t know that you were soo hot!! Now I know why Martina N liked to partner with you!! Hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Crazy Canuck
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ajayares
Oh, that's what it is, yeah really offended that someone got it wrong :rolleyes:

Well, you did rant about it rather irritablely for a good paragraph or so.

MinskLynx
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:24 PM
The question should be Is Anna even worthy of being mentioned in tennis history? My answer is no. I'm not gonna even front, Anna is a beautiful girl eurocentric feature wise which is the "supposed" standard of beauty.

IMO, Anna is the most heavily marketed sexpot in women's sports ever which is not a great honour history wise. Her image degrades the success of women's sports that has made strides to become respected. Anna is the most beautiful externally, but I would question her internal beauty. Anna has played the role of the dumb blonde for too long which alot of men are attracted too. I think she is a talented player, but she is caught up in her own web of delusion. In order for her to succeed she must not kill the image, but repress it so she can live up to her potential. I fear it might be too late though.

I found a years end doubles champion and two time grandslam winner quite noteworthy in tennis history.

In my experiences I do not find that Anna and athletes like her have degraded womens sport at all. It takes an Anna Kournikova to show that a woman can be both beautiful and down and dirty when it comes down to competition.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:32 PM
I actually agree with Megan, to an extent.

I rag on and on about how it's too bad that womens sports HAVE to use sex to sell their sport, because I think that it's too bad they can't be respected as athletes first...

But I hardly think that Anna is degrading herself. She works very hard to look how she does. She doesn't sit around and starve herself - she is a professional athlete.

In fact, I'd rather see pro athletes like Anna or Serena, gracing Magazine covers, than starving models.

Rocketta
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by dlandy22
FHM USA and FHM Europe are different (fhmus.com) (fhm.com). And more than 50,000 people voted for both of the polls FYI. And yes, I did vote by the way and I know other people that voted. Of the 30 or so people I know who voted on the poll, half of them voted for Ms. Kournikova.

show me where you saw the numbers of who voted. You sure have a large circle if you could ask 30 people if they voted in a poll?

Anyway, it was a typo I meant 500,000. Which is tiny if your talking about "the World" or if you compare it to say People Magazine that has a circulation of around 3million.

Here's an article about Fhm's circulation in Europe which is its largest market.

FHM suffers shock circulation slide

Jessica Hodgson
Thursday February 14, 2002

FHM, Britain's biggest selling men's magazine, has lost 20% of its circulation in the past year in a shock fall which will spark a major rethink of the whole "lads' mag" sector.

Audited sales figures for the last six months show the magazine juggernaut of the 1990s has fallen to a circulation of 570,719, from last year's sales figure of 716,679.

Circulation for rival magazines Maxim and Loaded have also dropped, indicating that men are tiring on the combination of boobs, birds and bar-room jokes.

The fall in FHM's circulation is greater than that predicted before the release of the results.

The magazine has lost 19% of its sales since the last ABC release period last August.

Rival Maxim has also seen its circulation decline by some 16% in the past year, going from 328,463 to 276,640.

Meanwhile Loaded, the original lads' magazine, has also seen its sales decline from 351,353, to 308,711.

The magazine has improved its short-term circulation decline, with a 1% rise in the past six months, vindicating editor Keith Kendrick's new editorial approach to the magazine.

However, even this modest increase will provide little comfort to publishers who previously thought their magazines unassailable.

DEETHELICK
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:45 PM
Anna is pretty, e.g. Enrique's video, but remember she gets clothes specifically made to make her look sexy, and is always presented glamorously.

Sharapova is following in the same direction.

If Elena D glammed up (e.g. special outfits, glamour off-court most of the time) I think she'd outshine Anna. And that makes u think what the other girls are capable of too....

Rocketta
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:53 PM
Even it a million people voted for Anna unless you think European and American men are the only ones' that count that still reflects an insignificant number of men in the world and no one can really with all seriousness think she was voted "sexiest" person in the "world". Give me a break.

per4ever
Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:55 PM
it's just a personal opinion of course.

I saw Anna irl..and she's stunning..don't know anyone more beautiful then her in WTA history

the cat
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:50 AM
It's nice to see Rebeccca and Megan on the same page. To an extent! ;)

I think it's irrelevant as to whether Anna K. is the most beautiful tennis player ever. When she is healthy, Anna Kournikova is a good singles player and a tremendous doubles player who most top players want to play doubles with. I think she's rather be known for that.

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:59 AM
She would be rather known for that, but that isn't the case unfortunately.

I know several people (all male) who I have ended up in a conversation about Kournikova with, and each and everytime I had to explain to them that she was actually a very good player who has just had a string of injuries, and has not shown a lot of mental toughness in the past - perhaps indirectly due to the string of injuries.

But you know what? No matter what I say - me, who clearly knows more about tennis than any of them - it doesn't matter. They don't want to believe it, so they don't.

selesadmirer
Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:08 AM
i personally think anna is beautiful,and she likes showing it.

ajayares
Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Well, you did rant about it rather irritablely for a good paragraph or so.

Well, you obviously haven't read to many of my posts in the past, because I tend to "rant" as you call it, most of the time, but I didn't actually realise that there was word limit on it these days.

People who want to present incorrect facts (I notice many like to make an issue of it when an article presents something factually wrong) well I am know different when it comes to things either.(not that I really care, unless it concerns my favourite players)

Crazy Canuck
Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
If you would remove the chip from your shoulder, you might notice that we are essentially on the same page on a lot of this stuff - specifically in regards to Anna.

ajayares
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:19 AM
I agree, we are on the same wave length in alot of topics regarding Anna, but that has nothing to do with my original post in this topic, it wasn't aimed at you and for some reason you felt obliged to reply to it.

Sure it might have been a little overboard, but when you read shit after shit regarding your favourite player, enough is enough, if people present the truth, I generally don't have a problem, as for peoples opinions, well they are just that, they don't mean much, probably as much as this post, so I read them and move on (I won't tell you what I really feel about most of the stuff, it isn't worth the effort)

But I do take exception to you saying that I have a chip on my shoulder, that is so far from the truth it isn't funny.

Glenn
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rocketta
Even it a million people voted for Anna unless you think European and American men are the only ones' that count that still reflects an insignificant number of men in the world and no one can really with all seriousness think she was voted "sexiest" person in the "world". Give me a break.

She's pretty popular in the Asian countries too, as well as in Russia, her hometown, and you should see the crowds she attracts in Australia! :eek:
Maybe not in Africa or Antarctica, but they probably never heard of her there... so you're right! ;)

Sam L
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Helen Wills in her heyday was far more beautiful than Anna K, I believed.

aussiefan83
Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
obviously people have different opinions. but if u look at it by what it appears the majority of the population finds to be the most beautiful player ever you must agree that anna wins hands down. just look at the attention she brings to tennis (whether u think it is positive or not).

like u all say- anna doesnt have the achievements in tennis to warrant such attention- so she obviously gets it for her looks. now, if the majority of the population thought that one of the other players was more beautiful then they would receive as much if not more attention than anna, because, all of the players mentioned have achieved as much, if not less than anna in tennis.

SerialKiller#69
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
i'm a huge fan of anna but i can honestly say that she's not the most beautiful in tennis history. she's just more interesting than the other beauties.

Volcana
Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
You guys, get real! Your *personal opinions*, don't matter! GENERALLY, there has never been a woman more gorgeous than Anna who has been THIS phenomenal JUST from her beautiful.

Federer_Chick - I'm guessing here you never heard of Sophia Loren.

The modern hype machine is what it is. No star in ANYTHING form the 1960's or 70's is as well-known world-wide as even a marginal star today. Mass marketing is that much more sophicated. But you take all the over-40 male fans of Anna and ask them who was more beautiful Sophia Loren ar anna Kournikova, Loren would take it in a cakewalk. I'll go further (having just surveyed quite a few men of the appropriate age). I asked them to name the three most beautiful women in the world, at any age of their lives. Sophia Loren was the first name out of damn near every white guy's mouth.

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Ugh, I don't think Sophia Loren's that beautiful or were that popular.

How about Marlene Dietrich?

Glenn
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Some of my friends that know nothing about tennis still know Anna Kournikova...
But they have never heard of Jelena Dokic or Gabriela Sabatini or anyone else for that matter.
I know it's all opinion, but in general, there has never been a more beatiful tennisplayer than Anna Kournikova.
I mean face it, she has NO results whatsoever in singles, NO big achievements, and still she's the most popular player on the WTA.
Jelena Dokic can win 97 grand slams for her part, and Anna would still be more popular.

Sam L
Dec 25th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Glenn, I do'nt want to argue, but I do'nt think you read Volcana's post. He had a good point about mass marketing, TV and we shouldn't forget Internet, of course. LOL! It's frustrating how a lot of people underestimates people in the past.

bucky
Dec 25th, 2002, 07:54 PM
;) Rosie Casals !!!!!!!!!!

in the beauty stakes theres a shed load more beautiful Magda G, Ms Dokic, Sabatini,Daniela H,...forever.....

joao
Dec 25th, 2002, 08:29 PM
This is such a subjective topic ... nobody will ever agree on that matter! But, let's be honest: there will always be some people that the majority will think as attractive (and vice-versa, people that the majority will think as ugly) ...

IMO, Anna is not beautiful, she's not ugly though ... just cute! She has a great body but the majority of the gilrs have nice body ... that's the "work-out" effect!

Schett, Dementieva, Dokic, Sharapova, Date, Sabatini (just to name some) have cuter faces than Anna IMO!

joao
Dec 25th, 2002, 09:04 PM
More beautiful you say? Have a look:

From acegrp.com: GRABRIELA SABATINI
http://www.acegrp.com/clients/sabatini/img_04.jpg

From kimiko-date.com: KIMIKO DATE
http://www.kimiko-date.com/gallery/weddingcelemony/img/img101.jpg