PDA

View Full Version : Hingis also withdraws from Tokyo

GoDominique
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Sorry if it has already been posted.

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/021220/8/34l8g.html

Auch in Tokio wird Hingis fehlen

(sid)- Die Schweizerin Martina Hingis hakt den ganzen Januar 2003 ab. Damit verschiebt sich das Comeback des Tennisstars weiter. Die 22-Jährige musste jetzt auch ihre geplante Titelverteidigung beim WTA-Turnier in Tokio Ende Januar absagen.

Die ehemalige Weltranglistenerste leidet immer noch an den Folgen einer Knöcheloperation im Mai, durch die sie bereits den Start bei den French Open und in Wimbledon verpasste. Ursprünglich wollte sie zu den Australian Open vom 13. bis 26. Januar wieder in den Turnier-Zirkus einsteigen.

auntie janie
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:36 AM
En anglais (from BBC):

The uncertainty over the future of Martina Hingis will continue after she announced her withdrawal from next month's Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo.

Hingis, the defending champion, pulled out of the $1.3m (£850,000) tournament beginning on 28 January because she has not fully recovered from ankle surgery.

The 22-year-old Swiss had already announced that she would not be able to play at the first Grand Slam event of 2003, the Australian Open.

The former world number one had surgery back in May that kept her out of the French Open and Wimbledon.

She announced in October that she would take an indefinite break, citing January for a possible comeback.

However, in December, Hingis admitted that her left ankle required further rehabilitation.

Hingis has shared the Tokyo indoor title with Lindsay Davenport over the past six years, winning in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002.

Her withdrawal leaves Davenport and Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati as the favourites for this year's crown.

auntie janie
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Her withdrawal leaves Davenport and Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati as the favourites for this year's crown.

LOL, not Serena or Venus? Where has this guy been??? :rolleyes:

SM
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM
oh dear :(

MaRKy MaRk
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by janie

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Tokyo tournament

Anyway, I'm not at all surprised with this. I was sort of expecting it.

ajayares
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by janie

lol, when did they enter Tokyo :rolleyes:

jrm
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:59 AM
now she is really out of top 20

TatiAnnahølic
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Martina :sad:

Jorn
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:35 PM
I don't care much, but why does she withdraw today when she can wait 3-4 weeks...and why is the listed on the Tokyo web, when she don't even entered...

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:38 PM
the Tokyo website needs updating, plus Martina always plays there so Tokyo PPO just put her on the site.

Poor Martina :sad: :(
Tennis needs her.

supremeross
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM
I think Martina will be out long enough to get a protected ranking, so expect to see her in late March/early April. Just my hunch.

Mister B
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:35 PM
yes maybe it's that.. I think if she begins in Family Circle Cup, she'll have the protected ranking?? I heard that but I'm not sure..

oggie
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:12 PM
How can she know now that her ankle won't recover by the time of Tokyo? I'm just saying that she should wait a bit to be certain that she can't play.

jenny161185
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:56 PM
he was talking about the Tokyo crown venus and serena aren t playing it. hope she stays out 6 months and gets the injury protected ranking.

King Aaron
Dec 20th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Martina :sad:

vs1
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:05 PM
if she gets a protected ranking, what will she be ranked as when/if she returns?

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:08 PM
earliest she can comeback is start of April for a SR
by then she could be down to 50ish

her injury rank will be around 10 when she does come back.

Ma. Estefania
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Maybe it's the best for her.
I just wanna see her again when she's healthy and ready to be at the top again.
I still loving you Martina.

Pureracket
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by oggie
How can she know now that her ankle won't recover by the time of Tokyo? I'm just saying that she should wait a bit to be certain that she can't play.

She is probably withdrawing because the mental and physical preparation for those tournies need to start NOW. If she is not able to prepare, then she knows that she's not going to be ready, regardless of how her ankle is feeling by then.

fhkung
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by vs1
if she gets a protected ranking, what will she be ranked as when/if she returns?
yup, but she has to be on leave for 6 months,
which means she will get it if she returns in April,
but i dont think she wants to do that though,
coz she will miss Indian Wells and Miami,
dont think she wants to do that.........
her points are gonna drop to lower than 500...
and her special ranking for 8 tournaments
might not garantee her special seeding,

but if she returns then, she will probably
try to use up all her tournament by special ranking
leading to Montreal, though i dont think
she will have time to finish all 18 tournaments by 2004
it's not looking too good for her right now.....
:sad:

Venus Forever
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:37 PM
I think she'll be ranked in the 30s after this.

Get Well Martina!!