PDA

View Full Version : Slovenian players - pictures & article

maya
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:05 AM
A very light article about Slovenian tennis players and fashion (made for Jana magazine) – It came with the pictures of players in eveningwear, toasting with champagne, but my scanner is not working ... I translated and shortened it so I apologise for the mistakes.

Pre-Christmas tennis players

http://www.delo-revije.si/slo/jana/img/jana50.jpg
Tina the cover girl

Tina Pisnik: Skirts remain in the closet

Readers of Jana admired the lovely Maribor girl Tina Pisnik years ago, when she won the Orange bowl and was styled especially for Jana. Two years ago, when she won in Bol na Bracu a similar transformation from a lively teenager to elegant young lady followed. “I like changes, you never know what will the stylists come up with. Even things that usually don’t appeal, but when you look at the finished pictures you can only stare with admiration,” explains Tina Pisnik, another sucessful tennis player from Štajerska.

Tina has been fascinated by tennis since before entering school. She started with gymnastics, but the enthusiasm over tennis prevailed. Her greatest idol is legendary Mima Jaušovec, who shared big secrets of good tennis with her. Tina always likes to listen to the others. Even when clothes are concerned. The blonde swares by jeans. The shelves at home are full of jeans clothing that she wears for all occasions. Extravagant skirts remain in the closet. “I really like them in the shop, but then I can’t gather the courage to wear them”. For important dinners and receptions she wears elegant clothes, but she says, she’s not comfortable in them. Like other girls she buys clothes and fashion accesories abroad. She swears by American trademarks Calvin Klein and Gap, but she also likes Dior and Gucci (for shoes).

Katarina Srebotnik: No high heels

21 year old student of 1. Highschool Celje (before she finishes school she has to make one exam and the final exam), has reached her dream goal this year: she made it all the way from 98. place in the ranking to 37. place. Always smiling girl from Velenje, who bought herself an apartment in Maribor two years ago, has been playing tennis for 14 years. She has liked sports with ball since she was little, so it’s no wonder her parents enrolled her into tennis club. Soon she had no competition. Parents are very attached to Kata, as she is known by friends, so they were very sad when she decided to move to her nest by Lent. Katarina spends only 3 months each year in Slovenia. She preferes California, because she finds people there very friendly and relaxed, however she doesn’t like Florida or New York. Florida is too humid and New York too crowdy. Most of the time she is on the road with Tina Križan, who is her coach , doubles partner and a great friend.

Katarina has a dream figure that could be envied by models. 180 cm tall player likes to visit boutiques with Tina in the rare breaks between tournaments. Eventhough she has already made more money than most of the athlethes will in their career, she watches her expenses. She finds New York prices astronomicaly high, so she buys most of her clothes in California. She doesn’t wear high heels, which would make her too tall, but sometimes she likes to buy a pair of Pierre Cardin shoes. She can still remember how well she was dressed when she won the junior tournament in Wimbledon. She was invited to the reception and the oranisers borrowed her a beautiful evening gown.

Maja Matevžič: Not a glamour girl

22 years old resident of Ljubljana Maja Matevžič has been in tennis for 12 years. Now that she has already achieved something on the professional circut she finds her own beginnings a bit funny. For example hiting a ball with a friend over the rope they tied on two big sticks. Her biggest life experiance was when she went to Italy when she was 17 and stayed ther efor two years. She gained confidance thete and fell in love with Italian culture and music.

Maja loves jeans and sporty clothes. She doesen’t even want to hear for high heeled shoes. She also doesn’t like make up. “I train 3 times a day and after each traineing I shower. I cant imagine having to remove mascara and powder each time”. Maja, whos career has been rising sharply this year spends most money for sporty clothes. She likes Killer Loop, Playlife and Gap and her sponsor is Lotto. She has never been to elegant boutique like Prada or Gucci, but she likes youthful clothes like they sell in H & M.

tennischick
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:55 AM
thanks! ;)

jrm
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:09 AM
katarina went in the same primary school as i did - i was two years behind

maya
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Which school was that? I went to A. Aškerc :).

jrm
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
MPT - Miha Pintar Toledo

spiceboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Slovenian girls look so cool

Messenger
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:58 PM
Hey jrm that's cool. Did you know her at all?

jrm
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Caesar's Messenger
Hey jrm that's cool. Did you know her at all?

Actually funny story - when i was like 9 or 8 me and some of my friends went and play some tennis and Katarina was also there playing or practising i guess. At that time i didn't know who she was and what she did and she played some shots with us - you could tell she was way better than us. As for the school - she quite absent dor most of the time and for a very long time i had no idea what sport was she persuing. Every year out scholl gave the throphy to the best athletes and one year Katarina won and she actually came to receive it. I also know where she lived when she was going to primary school :eek:

maya
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:28 PM
picture of Katarina Srebotnik:

maya
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Tina Pisnik:

maya
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Maja Matevzic:

maya
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Tina Krizan:

Jorn
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks for posting the pics! :)

Not even I was able to see that Jana pic was Tina... ;)

Glenn
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:46 PM
I like Maja in particular, she's still young and has so much potential.
I like her game a lot, it's very original, and she proved she can beat good players with it, she also proved she can endanger players like Mauresmo, whom she took to a tiebreak!
Go Maja!

maya
Dec 25th, 2002, 06:50 PM
4 players & The champagne:

rhz
Dec 25th, 2002, 11:50 PM
if you take a look at the picture there are accent on top of Z for Krizan and Z and C for Matevzic, i'm just wondering how do u pronounce that?

Messenger
Dec 26th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jrm
Actually funny story - when i was like 9 or 8 me and some of my friends went and play some tennis and Katarina was also there playing or practising i guess. At that time i didn't know who she was and what she did and she played some shots with us - you could tell she was way better than us. As for the school - she quite absent dor most of the time and for a very long time i had no idea what sport was she persuing. Every year out scholl gave the throphy to the best athletes and one year Katarina won and she actually came to receive it. I also know where she lived when she was going to primary school :eek:

You played tennis with a star http://www.officialforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks for the pictures maya.

Martian KC
Dec 26th, 2002, 01:15 AM
PFFF! Not a glamour girl?!?!?! Maja, Maja, Maja She looks fantastic!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 26th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Thanks!!!!!

I didn't know Tina could get any more gorgeous and Maja could get any cuter!!!!

I tried to start a forum for players from the Balkan and East Europe region some time ago, but I was not listened to despite 100+ replies

maya
Dec 26th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by rhz
if you take a look at the picture there are accent on top of Z for Krizan and Z and C for Matevzic, i'm just wondering how do u pronounce that?

If you would want to write the last names "internationaly" you would write Krizhan, Matevzhich (and Jelena Dokich actually -that one is "softer"CH) - I think that's how the names are listed in the international code in SLO passports. So this can help you some.

C with an accent is CH (like in chair)
S with an accent is SH (like in she)
Z with an accent is ZH (and I don't think English has that voice - It's like the film Dr. Zivago/Zhivago; the closest voice is SH).