PDA

View Full Version : Can any Steffi fans or fans in general shed light on

jd4eva
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Heinz Gunthardt

I know he was Steffi's former coach and he'll start working for 5 months with Jelena

So I just wanted to know how good he was, what he taught Steffi etc.....and what he could do to help Jelena etc.

I just want to know how good he is as a coach.

jd4eva
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:38 AM
bump...irma? ;)

irma
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:50 AM
here I am;)

I think he is good, because he keeps distance. he is there to coach and doesn't care what happens in the privat life of the player (and we know both in steffi's and in jelena's happens a lot) and doesn't give a damn what idiot fathers say.
I am sure that's a reason why in 96 steffi was still able to concentrate on her tennis and not looked like a nervous wreck like when that crybaby was her coach in 90/91!

tennischick
Dec 20th, 2002, 09:22 AM
what crybaby? lol!

Aloysius
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:01 PM
It's amazing, isn't it? For her entire professional career, Steffi only ever had two coaches - Pavel Slozil and Heinz Gundthardt. When you look at some of the other players, they can go through up to 4 or 5 coaches in one year alone. What's even more amazing was that Heinz could only commit to 10 tournaments a year to Steffi. It's ironic that Heinz himself was such a good doubles player, yet couldn't make Steffi attack the net more often than she did. Not that she really needed to anyway. :)

I'm surprised to read that Heinz is working with Jelena now because he wanted to spend more time with his family and that was the reason why he didn't want to commit to more than 10 events with her per year. I naturally assumed that after Steffi retired, that Heinz was retiring from travelling and coaching too.

way
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Exactly, Aloysius.
And he also had her play doubles with him, which i think is the reason why she never played doubles seriously, much more painful reason than her injuries!
:)