PDA

View Full Version : Mona Barthel News & Opinion

Pages : [1] 2

Raiden
Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Copypaste all the pieces you find here (that way they remain available even if they disappear elsewhere ;)

Raiden
Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Fed-Cup: Tension between Rittner and Barthel?

(Translation of Markus Fischer's original: "Fed-Cup: Dicke Luft zwischen Rittner und Barthel?" http://www.wtatennis.de/fed-cup-dicke-luft-zwischen-rittner-und-barthel 18 Jan. 2013)

Today's Fed Cup nomination fell out exactly as they had predicted a few days ago. After we had been there, dealt extensively with the issue, it should fit up to the beginning of the game. But one of Personnel makes us as a surprisingly thwarted. Actually Sabine Lisicki should not belong to the team. Barbara Rittner wanted Mona Barthel first give preference to these, however, have reportedly canceled in view of their individual careers of the national coach. After Barthel only this week the "Mona Slam" and completed in Melbourne for the fourth consecutive time at a Grand Slam tournament failed in Round 1, you can empathize with this decision. For Barthel had better work on her mental weakness, which it owes to the defeats against Wickmayer and Pervak ​​this year than two days to go stale stupid on a bench.

Basically you have to commend Barbara Rittner that they finally time wanted to nominate a player not yet considered. To play a huff, as one can gather from the press, they have not yet because of the cancellation. Finally, use the free week Barthel wants to improve their game. And even better for Rittner Barthel could be more valuable in the future than the currently mentally weak German No. 3 "I respect and accept Mona's decision, but I can understand them not. I am proud that the other girls think differently." Rittner is cited. But what can you please not understand that? Fact in the German Fed Cup team is yet, the quartet consists among Rittner long from Kerber, Petkovic, Goerges and Grönefeld. And until a failure of the four injured, is where not even shaken, regardless of their actual performance. Logically enough, because at least three of the four players in the Fed Cup wired differently. And with Lisicki Rittner will have already negotiated what. Just imagine what would have happened if it were not for their proper consideration to the team also stayed away.

It is striking, therefore, that of all Lisicki had to give way for Barthel. Kerber and Görges that are set, explains the knockout collection of Melbourne. And Anna-Lena Groenefeld has - for whatever reason - a free pass. Sometimes you wonder, help whether this has actually still sporting reasons or whether Grönefeld perhaps of which all just most alcohol tolerate and thus highly praised the positive atmosphere in the team, which is led by Rittner and over again (and 2012, losing two earned), may.

Therefore Barthel knew exactly when she learned of her nomination, she has to thank for this is primarily the violation of Andrea Petkovic and not their own performance. And as a tennis professional Barthel has something to do better than playing the stopgap, especially after it was last year against Australia not considered at that time as the best German 2012th Given that played Kerber Petkovic, Goerges and equipped with the continuous subscription Grönefeld - Rittner just darlings.

Thanks for Barthel showed few days after the German descent in the same place, among others, to the dismantling of Marion Bartoli, the error Rittner had committed their non nomination. Since the child was, however, dropped out of the bottle. What she is now a year later, face the music, which you do not let them land in the soup? There are things that are far more important than a Fed Cup match against France B team. Or the Fed Cup at all. And the beautiful are now grappling the other.

DaMatz
Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
"I respect and accept Mona's decision, but I can understand them not" :help: :help:

I can understand Mona very much, and why does Rittner cannot do it...

Setsuna.
Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:35 AM
2.2.: Again a pretty good match frm me. Kiki played a great tournament, but today I served really well and played aggressive.

Tecumseh
Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:41 PM
This is what Errani said about Mona and today's final:

"Mona serves so well, plays so well from the baseline and physically moves so well - I just couldn't beat her today," Errani said. "I usually like to have more time to place the ball where I want but I was on a limit today, particularly on my serve. I tried my best, but she was just unbeatable today."

If you read this the comments of Errani about Mona's TOP 10 chances don't appear shady anymore.

Tecumseh
Feb 5th, 2013, 09:12 AM
A little interview after Mona's victory with lequipe.fr (translated by google):

Barthel: "I did not expect it"

Smiling Mona Barthel not getting carried away after his triumph at the Open GDF Suez on Sunday. "I do not expect anything special from me," she says. An attitude that contrasts with the displayed great confidence on the court.

"Mona Barthel, 2013 is only the second season where you play exclusively on the WTA tour (before she progressed far on ITF tournaments, the" second division "). You expect you to win here?

No, I did not expect to win this tournament. I really enjoyed the matches one after the other. I was already happy to win my first round, then the second, and I found myself in the final against Sara Errani, the seeded one (smile). I knew it would be difficult, she managed an incredible year in 2012. He had to win this match, she did not give me anything. I had my chance and I took it.

It is always difficult to find, especially in a tournament of this category (WTA Premier) ...

Yes. I was leading a set and 5-2. I knew she would fight on every point and it would be difficult to end. I'm a little tense, it was my first final in a tournament of this magnitude but I really tried to play point by point and focus on my game I was happy to win the tiebreak but even if I lost, I kept all my chances. But hey, it was still better to go in straight sets (smile).

Win the title by beating two players in the Top 10 in passing (Marion Bartoli, Sara Errani) should give you some ideas ...

This is a great success. I made a very good start to the season with a half in Auckland, Hobart and a final title here in a month. I grew a lot, I'm more aggressive and I stored the confidence and experience. Last year, I could lose the final. I do not expect anything special from me. If I continue like this, I can do a good season but we never know what can happen ... It is not easy. I hope I did not hurt myself and keep going trying to be more relaxed. We'll see where it takes me.

Whatever your opponent, you never seem to hesitate on the court. Is this one of the keys to your success?

The hesitation you nowhere. I just believe in me, I think I can win the point and I focus on it. There is no secret. This is the most important. You go on the field and you believe in yourself, in your game, you think you can beat the player who is on the other side of the net. Last year, I did a lot of matches against great players and it gave me a lot of confidence. I know that if I'm on a good day, I can beat them. "

Tecumseh
Feb 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM
An article from the french magazine sport24.com (translated from french into english by google):

Mona Barthel reigns in Paris

Mona Barthel caused surprise by winning the Open GDF Suez to Pierre de Coubertin Stadium, winning in the final against Sara Errani 7-5, 7-6 (4).

It was the week of Mona Barthel Coubertin. Not only the German, 45th World dominated Sunday the two sets seeded number one in the final, but she had previously eliminated Marion Bartoli, another player listed among the top 10 worldwide. "When we arrived here, we did not expect that I won the tournament, she observes. But I took lap after lap, hoping each time. "

A change of coach pays off
In the final against Sara Errani, Mona Barthel was not intimidated by the fact that the Italian has managed to come back from 5-2 to 6-6. "I was a little nervous, she confesses. It was my first final in a tournament as big and she made things a little difficult at the end."In 22 years, the German played only his second season on the WTA Tour and is progressing at full speed. It is especially part of a recent change in his team, since it is driven by his mother, but by Jacek Szygowski: "It was time that I looked for a coach because it's nice to have a new look, she says. We met here for the first time. And for the first time, we can say that it works well!"

On the road to winning the second tournament in his career, Mona Barthel, also the executioner of Kristina Mladenovic in the semifinals. French girl has not blown least a nice breath of fresh air on the Paris tournament. Holds a wild card, hope 19 years worked his way up to the last square, beating the two players are among the top twenty worldwide. "With my team, we gradually built every day, said" Kiki ". Early in the season, I said that I wanted to finish the year in the top 50 and I dreamed of being in the top 20. If it continues like this, why not? "Retained by the new captain Amélie Mauresmo, Mladenovic is part of the team of France Fed Cup play Germany in Limoges, 9 and 10 February.

joy division
Feb 5th, 2013, 12:31 PM
5.2.: Back in real life! This morning at 8:00 dentist appointment, 11:00 practice. Outside there is snow, afraid that the car (I still have no car, and still using the elderly smart roadster of my mother) starts in the cold. Lucky ...... The day today is in big contrast to the day before yesterday in Paris, playing in front of this super audience, the great atmosphere at the center court, winning such a big tennis tournament. Everything was so overwhelming. When I returned to my hotel room, a bottle champaign was waiting for me, a gift from the hotel management.....

:lol: That somehow is pretty typical for Mona.

crazillo
Feb 5th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Nice to hear something so personal from her. :)

Raiden
Feb 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
:lol: That somehow is pretty typical for Mona.But I like her mother's car taste (it's better than her on-court coaching sense :oh:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/we-hear/daimler-renault-alliance-may-spur-return-of-smart-roadster/28564214+w527+st0/smart-roadster-front-three-quarter.jpg

joy division
Feb 5th, 2013, 04:14 PM
It`s actually nicer than the limousine but I think she has to open the sunroof for not to rick her neck in this soapbox.
So another coach and another car would be the best solution.;)

Raiden
Feb 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I think she has to open the sunroof for not to rick her neck...LMAO!

Setsuna.
Feb 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM
I think she has to open the sunroof for not to rick her neck

:rolls:

Tecumseh
Feb 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM
This is what Laurie's Tennis Articles wrote about the final:

So, the final would be an intriguing clash of tennis philosophy and style of play. In the semifinals, Barthel was able to dispatch Mladenovic with some ease and Errani capitalised on Bertens’ retirement. The first few games of the final were very tight with both players feeling each other out; the pattern was established quite early, serve vs return of serve in traditional fashion. Barthel was getting to net at every opportunity, even throwing in the odd serve and volley, while Errani was continually serving to Barthel’s forehand on the deuce court, keeping her at bay for fear of being attacked by serving weak serves into Barthel’s hitting zone.

Barthel got the first break to serve for the set at 5-3 but got nervous and Errani came back as she so often does. However, after a tough service game at 5-5, Barthel broke Errani who was serving to stay in the set, and so claimed it 7-5. Errani held her serve from 0-40 down early in the 2nd set and was hanging on; Barthel was serving incredibly and hitting fantastic winners from the back and some great volley winners too. Errani tried to bring Barthel in with drop shots as well to test her movement, there were some fantastic rallies.

Barthel broke to serve for the match and again got nervous, allowing Errani back in, and after saving two match points took it to a tiebreak. As Frew McMillan said years ago, the player with the bigger serve usually wins the tiebreak and that proved to be the case again, Barthel winning it in convincing fashion to win the 2nd title of her career and acclaim from an appreciative crowd for both players.

Errani’s plan was to make Barthel hit as many shots as possible in long gruelling rallies. But Barthel’s serve was just too good and was able to keep the points short and attack the net whenever she could. The phrase that popped into my head is that Barthel serves like an assassin with clinical precision, so may returns go astray, ricochet into the tramlines, hit the net or land short for a midcourt put away, that is pretty rare in the womens game.

So, for the 2nd year in a row, I left the tournament feeling I’ve just seen a special talent who could go really far if she can maintain this level of consistency and continue to improve her movement and self-belief. Mona Barthel may not just be top 5 material but potential to be a major winner in the future as well.

mk27
Feb 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Barthel is hot German prospect

Big-hitting Mona Barthel is the latest strong prospect to roll off the German tennis production line, and the 22-year-old from Neumunster has wasted no time stamping down her mark for the year ahead.

Barthel clinched the biggest title win of her career at the weekend, beating the likes of Marion Bartoli and Sara Errani to lift the GDF Suez Open title in Paris despite entering the tournament unseeded.

As one of five German players ranked inside the world's top 100 - her latest win sees her leap to 28 in the world - Barthel is at the forefront of a strong tennis renaissance in her country.

The 6ft 1ins Barthel blasted Errani - who described her opponent as "unbeatable" - off the court and shrugged: "I wasn't expecting to win the title at all. I was just taking it round by round hoping to get through."

It may be premature to start talking of a future star in the mould of Steffi Graf, but Barthel has proved she has the power to cut it among the really big guns, even if she insists there is no secret formula in the German programme.

"I think it's a coincidence," said Barthel. "We all have our own coaches and we all do our own thing. There are always ups and downs. We have had really good players in the past, then not so many.

"Of course it helps that we see each other playing really well. I know (Julia) Goerges a lot, and I've known (Angelique) Kerber since we were little. If you see them playing well, it makes you think you can do it also."

Barthel's big leap came in 2011, when she improved from a ranking of 208 at the start of the year to 67, and is now beginning to firmly establish herself inside the world's top 50.

"I was always focusing on finishing school then I had more time to practice and play events," added Barthel.

"It's the normal process now. It's no secret. I have more experience, and I'm just working hard every day."

Source (http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/article/553/8473963/barthel-is-hot-german-prospect)

From the WTA-side:
Quotable Quotes: Mona On Self-Belief & More

Mona Barthel put her aggressive game on display throughout the week at the Open GDF SUEZ in Paris, and afterwards talked Sara Errani, self-belief, her tennis idol and more.

PARIS, France - Mona Barthel's victory at the Open GDF SUEZ not only represented her first Premier title, it may have also signalled something big to come - the 16 players who had won the tournament before her had all been ranked No.7 or higher at one point in their careers, and most of them had gone as high as Top 3. So what are the German's thoughts on the run? Here she is in her own words...

On playing Errani in the final...
"I was up a set and 5-2, but I got a little bit of nerves - I knew she's a real fighter, and it was my first final at such a big tournament. She made it hard for me. I just tried to take it step by step and point by point, and just kept playing my game. I knew she had to win the set to stay in the match, and even if she did, I'd still have a chance to win the match in the third set. Of course, I knew the third set would be more difficult, but I'd still have a chance. But I'm glad I won it in the tie-break of course!"

On her Top 10 wins over Bartoli and Errani being a turning point...
"To beat two Top 10 players in one week is a good effort, for sure. And not just this week, but I've had such a great start to the whole season - already one semifinal, one final and winning here. It's a pretty good first month. I've improved so much in my game and hope I can continue playing like this."

On self-belief...
"The most important thing is to go on the court and believe in yourself, believe you can beat the other player. Of course they're all such good players, but last year I had so many good matches against top players and it gave me a lot of confidence. I know I can play a good game. You just have to keep giving your best and you never know what will happen. Hesitation doesn't get you anywhere."

On her beginnings in tennis and her childhood idol...
"I started so early. My whole family was into tennis - my parents and my sister, too. I basically started playing tennis when I started walking. From that point it was always my dream to become a professional tennis player. My idol was Steffi Graf when I was growing up - she was from Germany, I liked the way she played, and she was so successful. I had the same racquet, the same clothes, the same everything as her. I haven't met her yet, but hopefully in the future I will get to meet her!"

On following in the footsteps of Kerber, who won Paris last year...
"That would be amazing - Angelique had such a great season last year, playing so many tournaments and doing so well in all of them, and beating so many good players. She has such a great game. It was great to win this tournament after she won it last year. I'm just trying to play tournament by tournament and we'll see. I just want to keep it up. Every tournament and every opponent is different."

Source (http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/3066268/title/quotable-quotes-mona-on-self-belief-more)

Tecumseh
Feb 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM
From Denise Cronwall Activewear facebook:

Mona in Paris!
In honor of Mona Barthel's amazing win in Paris this weekend, the dress she wore in the finals has been renamed after her! The "Mona in Paris" dress is now available for purchase in select stores throughout Florida and online @ www.denisecronwall.com

You can find other Mona dresses behind this link:

http://www.denisecronwall.com/TENNIS-DRESSES-c10/

Setsuna.
Feb 6th, 2013, 11:10 AM
:bowdown:

kiriosh.
Feb 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Mona :lol: :bowdown:

tennisfreak13
Feb 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

Setsuna.
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Not only one dress renamed after her! but 4 dresses renamed after her. :worship:

Mona In Austraila.

http://www.denisecronwall.com/images/products/1821.png
http://www.denisecronwall.com/TENNIS-DRESSES/Mona-In-Australia-p81.html

Mona In Paris.

http://www.denisecronwall.com/images/products/1813.png
http://www.denisecronwall.com/TENNIS-DRESSES/Mona-In-Paris-p80.html

Mona In Peach.

http://www.denisecronwall.com/images/products/1833.png
http://www.denisecronwall.com/TENNIS-DRESSES/Mona-In-Peach-p83.html

Mona In White.

http://www.denisecronwall.com/images/products/1827.png
http://www.denisecronwall.com/TENNIS-DRESSES/Mona-In-White-p82.html

tennisfreak13
Feb 6th, 2013, 05:07 PM
mona-barthel.de:
Denise Cronwall, the designer of the clothes I'm wearing on court, named the dress, I wore in the final after me. It's a big honour for me.

Tecumseh
Feb 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM
An interview with Mona on tennisnet.com (translated from german into english by google; not a good translation but i hope you can understand the interview to the greatest possible extent):

Mona Barthel exclusive:
"For me, there is
still a long way to go"
The 22-year-old talks about her tournament victory in Paris, about the cancellation in the Fed Cup and her passion besides tennis.

By Christian Albrecht Barschel

Mona Barthel has the WTA Premier tournament in Paris won her second title on the WTA Tour, and is thus the first time in the top 30 in the world rankings. The Neumünsteranerin stands in an exclusive interview with tennisnet.com answer questions and also explains her rejection in the Fed Cup position.

Mrs. Barthel, congratulations on your second title on the WTA Tour. What did you think when you've turned your fourth match point?

I was happy and relieved that it was still very tight at the end times and I had match points awarded. I'm glad that I stayed calm and I always have unlocked new opportunities. When I then turned the match point, I could at first not even believe it.

Can you describe the difference between the tournament in Paris and your first title in Hobart?

Hobart was one of the first WTA tournaments that I've played. There, I had to still play through the qualification. The other players did not know me so well. That has changed since then, of course. In Paris there was a larger tournament. I had to beat three players in the top 15. It's a different category, if you win a premier tournament in Paris.

Statistics from the WTA says that all 16 Paris-winners in front of you at least seventh place standing in the world rankings. Is this a sign for the rest of your career?

Of course I would not mind if it come to this. The top 7 or top 10 but are still a long way for me. I am now for the first time in the Top 30, which is a great success for me.

Angelique Kerber is started by last year after their tournament win in Paris in the top 10. Do you think that's realistic for you this year?

Angelique had an incredible year last year and has so consistently played at a high level every week and demonstrated their performance. She deserves it so to be in the top 10. For me this is still a long way. Since much has to fit that one makes the step into the top 10. I would be glad if I further improve in the world ranking. The year is still long. Let's see how it develops.

Your achievements in the past year after a strong season opener were very variable. Do you have an explanation?

Since there were several reasons why I was in the summer of a weaker phase. I had pulled me in Miami from a foot injury, which took a little longer to heal. Perhaps it would have been better to take a break and wait until it was healed. Secondly, it was also the first year on the WTA Tour for me. The tournaments were all new to me. I was the first time in Australia. These are a lot of impressions, get on one, you must process only. I think that has also cost me some energy. I notice this year already that something more routine is when I get to the tournaments.

At the Grand Slams, you are four times in a row retired in the first round. Why it works in the big tournaments not so well?

The Grand Slam tournaments did not work well. There were several reasons why I cut off at each Grand Slam tournament is not good. At the U.S. Open I was a little sick. At the French Open and Wimbledon, it was the stage where I did not play my best tennis. At the Australian Open, it was also a difficult draw. Ksenia Pervak ​​played very well and it made me not easy. Something like this can ever happen to anyone. All the women in the top 100 all play such a good tennis because almost anyone can beat anyone really. There are still a lot of improvement for me at the Grand Slams. If one has lost four times in the first round, it can actually be even better.

They have a strong impact. However, you underwent especially in the last year in some games, many double faults. Stands or falls on your game with the serve?

Directly so I would not say that. The service is of course one of the main strokes in tennis and in my game. If you have a good charge, you get into a good position for the next stroke. This of course brings many benefits, if you have a high rate during the first service and also a good second serve.

What have you done to stabilize your serve?

I have in the off-season a lot of work because I have more consistency and a higher rate in the first serve and that I continue to develop my second serve. That will help my game a lot because of the impact of the most important stroke in tennis.

You have no permanent coach to accompany you on trips. Your mother takes mainly the analysis of games and travels with you around the world. In Paris you were coached by Jacek Szygowski, a trainer at the Cologne Academy. You will soon find a permanent coach?

Last year I was already looking for a coach who accompanied me. But you have to have a good feeling that a coach brings you forward. Jacek it was a spontaneous decision. Robert Orlik had suggested it to me. Jacek I had never seen before. It has indeed worked well, it could not have worked out better. Let's see how it develops in the coming weeks.

Your rejection of the Fed Cup match in France has beaten high waves. So far, only head coach Barbara Rittner and your colleagues have commented on this in more detail. Can you explain the reasons why you do not stand for the Fed Cup are available?

To me it was clear that my decision would provide a lot of resentment among the public. To outsiders, it may seem very odd when you cancels the Fed Cup participation. I have my reasons for the cancellation, but I would not necessarily reveal this to the public. I would like to keep private, because there are also personal reasons. I hope that people accept and respect that.

After the cancellation was due to injury of Angelique Kerber again made an attempt for the game that you still available?

No, there was no attempt.

Apply your decision not to play Fed Cup, only for the match against France, or for the qualification games in April?

This decision was only for this game. My refusal had nothing to do with the Fed Cup in general. Of course I would love to be playing Fed Cup and to represent my country. That was at the moment just not the right time.

You were not nominated in April 2012 for the relegation match against Australia, despite your strong form by Barbara Rittner. Instead, the straight-again Andrea Petkovic and double specialist Anna-Lena Groenefeld were nominated. Julia Goerges also explained that she felt sick. Germany finally rose from out of the world group. Were you upset that you were not nominated for relegation game?

I was not mad about it. I have a few days before it started in April, got the call that I, as the Fed Cup in five women may be there. I was glad to have been there and that I could just watch the whole processes in the Fed Cup. Barbara made the decision so I've accepted it and respected. She is the boss and makes the decisions. I can understand their decision as well. Andrea and Julia had the experience of having played in the Fed Cup. That would have been different for me.

Barbara Rittner said after your Fed Cup rejection that she was proud that the other girls think differently. Julia Goerges founds it unfortunate that one of the Fed Cup, which is more than three times a year, can not bring in line with its plans. Do you feel like an outsider in the German team?

No, definitely not. Other girls in the team have even canceled a Fed Cup participation. We all get along well, that has nothing to do with.

With Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges and you come to the three best German players from Schleswig-Holstein. Do you have an explanation as to why the High North is currently determined the German women's tennis?

I believe that there is no recipe for success. For each player have their own reasons why it is so high up. We all went a different route and have not trained with the same coach. Perhaps it is fortunate that the three best currently come from Schleswig-Holstein. With Tobias Kamke and Julian Reister, we also have two men's players. This is obviously great for the tennis in Schleswig-Holstein. We know each other well from the past and it's nice to meet up at shows.

You speak fluent English and can be expressed in this language very eloquently. To what extent it is life on the tour makes it easier when you have no language barriers?

It is very important, if you can speak English well. It is so much traveling abroad. This helps an already immensely if you can communicate well. I wish that I could still speak more languages ​​fluently. It is in so many countries on the way. It would therefore be perfectly natural if we could talk in the language that is spoken in the country.

Your German colleagues and also head coach Barbara Rittner love to tweet. Why you are not active on Twitter or on Facebook?

I decided early on to make a website and not to go on Facebook and Twitter. I have been retained. Of course there is a lot of work, after each game, to take the time to write a report on the game. Right now I do not feel that I want to sign in to Facebook and Twitter, but maybe that will change.

Why have you chosen the communication via a website?

I started early to make my own website. I had liked computer science in college and this always very professional. This gave me the idea to make a website. I do it all alone. I developed the design, I write the lyrics themselves and thus have much work ahead of me. It is a website about myself, so I think it's nice if you like, it made itself. So it should be at a website about themselves also. This is again a break from tennis. I think it's important that you not only 24 hours of tennis thinks, but also has a few other things that you enjoy doing. The good thing is that I can still connect it to the tennis.

For the tournament in Paris you get 94,355 euros. On your website, you wrote that you still use the old Smart Roadster your mother. Is after the title in Paris now a new car due?

This is not planned in the near future, at some point maybe. I always take the car from my mother. But she is not so happy about it. I am by the many trips and rarely at home, so I really do not need a car. But something I will buy now. The victory was so unexpected that I could not even really think about it.

Tecumseh
Feb 6th, 2013, 05:53 PM
You can find the original interview in german behind the following link:

http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/welttennis/damen/Mona-Barthel-exklusiv-Fuer-mich-ist-das-noch-ein-weiter-Weg/4643083

joy division
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Quite revealing overall towards the questions of the last time.

Some more contours of Mona as a person are getting visible in this interview.

Thanks for posting, Tecumseh !:wavey:

heavyhorse
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Those dresses are ugly :lol:

heavyhorse
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM
"because almost anyone can beat anyone really."

That's really great to hear from Barthel. It shows she's not intimidated by what player is on the other side of the net which is a difference from last year IMO where she choked her last set away to Azarenka at Stuttgart.

Tecumseh
Feb 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM
"because almost anyone can beat anyone really."

That's really great to hear from Barthel. It shows she's not intimidated by what player is on the other side of the net which is a difference from last year IMO where she choked her last set away to Azarenka at Stuttgart.

She was psychologically not ready to win against Azarenka in Stuttgart because at that time she was on the WTA tour for only half a year. Her self-confidence could not keep up with her dramatically improved game back then. I am optimistic that she starts to believe in herself now, especially after this win in Paris. If that happens she will be able to beat the big babes on tour, even in close matches. But let's give her time! I still think that Mona needs two more years to fully mature.

And dont forget that even Azarenka choked away a lot of matches before 2012. She needed about 5 years to become this mentally tough player she is now.

heavyhorse
Feb 6th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hopefully Mona will not need that long. Afterall she has taken out a few top 15 players now.

mk27
Feb 7th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Mona will play in Charleston (http://www.live5news.com/story/21071870/sara-errani-and-mona-barthel-enter-family-circle-cup-player-field)

Setsuna.
Feb 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
^ Not sure if this is a good idea.

Tecumseh
Feb 7th, 2013, 09:46 PM
^ Not sure if this is a good idea.

Maybe her start there is supposed to be the beginning of her preparation for the clay season. The tournament in Charleston starts two weeks after Indian Wells. I dont know if she also plans to play in Miami just before Charleston. This would be definately too much in my opinion.

By the way, i am still happy about last sunday! :D

crazillo
Feb 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Maybe her start there is supposed to be the beginning of her preparation for the clay season. The tournament in Charleston starts two weeks after Indian Wells. I dont know if she also plans to play in Miami just before Charleston. This would be definately too much in my opinion.

By the way, i am still happy about last sunday! :D

She has to play Miami, it's mandatory for her.

Tecumseh
Feb 7th, 2013, 10:01 PM
She has to play Miami, it's mandatory for her.

So three tournaments in a row! That's too much i think and it's not ideal to immediately play a clay court tournament after Miami without having time to get accustomed to clay.

joy division
Feb 8th, 2013, 10:40 AM
An interview on Yahoo Eurosport

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tennis-barthel-exklusiv-komplett-anderes-leben-101625858.html

Tennis - Barthel exklusiv: "Ein komplett anderes Leben"

Tennis-Profi Mona Barthel nutzt ihre Chancen. Obwohl erst im zweiten Jahr komplett auf der WTA Tour unterwegs, hat es die 22-Jährige bei drei Final-Teilnahmen auf zwei Titel gebracht. Im Exklusiv-Interview mit eurosport.yahoo.de verrät die Bad Segebergerin, woher sie schon in jungen Jahren ihre mentale Stärke nimmt. Darüber hinaus spricht Barthel über Zeltnächte, Kugelstoßen und die Konkurrenz.

Das Interview führte Tobias Laure

Sie haben gerade das WTA-Turnier von Paris gewonnen und dabei mit Marion Bartoli und Sara Errani zwei Top-10-Spielerinnen geschlagen. Dazu haben Sie während des Turnierverlaufs keinen Tiebreak abgegeben. Woher nehmen Sie diese mentale Stärke?

Mona Barthel: Ich habe ja schon in der vergangenen Saison einige gute Spiele auf der Tour gemacht, unter anderem gegen Victoria Azarenka, die Nummer eins der Welt. Dazu kamen Partien gegen andere Topspielerinnen, wo ich allerdings viele Tiebreaks verloren habe. Diese Erfahrungen helfen mir aber jetzt, denn ich weiß, dass ich auch gegen sehr gute Kontrahentinnen meine Chance habe. Ich bin nun viel besser in der Lage, in den wichtigen mein stärkstes Tennis zu spielen und im Tiebreak voll da zu sein. Selbst wenn es nicht perfekt läuft, der Glaube und die Ruhe sind immer da.

Einen Tag nach ihrem Sieg von Paris haben Sie auf Ihrer Homepage geschrieben: "Zurück im richtigen Leben". Die großen Erfolge sind Ihnen offenbar noch ein wenig fremd.

Barthel: Da ist was dran - und ganz besonderes dieser Erfolg in Paris kam unerwartet. Als ich angereist bin habe ich absolut nicht damit gerechnet, dieses große und so stark besetzte Turnier zu gewinnen. Ich musste dafür drei Spielerinnen aus den Top 15 schlagen. Dass mir das gelingt, war schon eine ziemliche Überraschung und ein Durchbruch für mich.

Dabei ist es noch gar nicht so lange her, dass Sie bei Turnieren im Zelt übernachtet haben und widrigen Umständen trotzen mussten. Vermissen Sie diese Zeiten schon?

Barthel: Man kann diese Phasen nicht vergleichen. Damals habe ich noch die kleinen Turniere gespielt. Da gab es oft nicht einmal Zuschauer. Aber es stimmt: Ich habe gezeltet, teilweise bei Temperaturen um den Gefrierpunkt. Das war ein komplett anderes Leben. Jetzt spiele ich dagegen große Turniere auf großen Courts gegen die besten Spielerinnen der Welt. Dass ich die alten Zeltplatz-Zeiten vermisse, würde ich nicht sagen. Aber ich bin sehr froh, dass es sie gab. Ich konnte so viel lernen dadurch. Und nun genieße ich eben die Hotels und tollen Stadien auf der WTA Tour. Für mich waren und sind beide Welten wichtig.

2012 haben Sie Ihr erstes komplettes Jahr auf der Tour gespielt und im australischen Hobart gleich den ersten Titel eingeheimst. Zehren Sie noch von diesem Schlüsselerlebnis?

Barthel: Daran denke ich natürlich immer wieder, denn auch dieser erste Titel kam total unerwartet. Ich bin damals von der Qualifikation ins Hauptfeld gekommen und habe dann das Turnier gewonnen. Dieses Jahr bin ich dann erneut im Finale von Hobart gestanden und es war für mich trotz der Niederlage gegen Jelena Wesnina ein Erfolg. Also Hobart verbinde ich immer mit sehr schönen Erinnerungen.

Inzwischen stehen Sie auf Rang 28 der Weltrangliste, so hoch wie nie zuvor. Wie weit nach oben kann es denn in dieser Saison noch gehen?

Barthel: Puh, das ist schwer zu sagen. Ich hoffe schon, dass es weiter nach oben geht. Zunächst aber bin ich unglaublich froh, dass ich erstmals die Top 30 geknackt habe. Sicher, das Potenzial für mehr ist da, zumal ich in der Mitte des Saison wenig Punkte zu verteidigen habe. Der Fokus liegt aber nicht auf dem Ranking, sondern darauf, mein Spiel weiterzuentwickeln und diese Fortschritte im Match abzurufen.

Das deutsche Damen-Tennis ist seit Jahren im Aufwind. Sabine Lisicki, Andrea Petkovic, Julia Görges und zuletzt vor allem Angelique Kerber haben für Furore gesorgt und stehen im Mittelpunkt des medialen Interesses. Macht es das für Sie leichter, Sie können sich ja quasi im Windschatten der anderen ungestört entwickeln.

Barthel: Es ist nicht abzustreiten, dass ich dadurch mehr Zeit und Ruhe habe. Wenn mein erster WTA-Titel ein paar Jahre früher gekommen wäre, wo die deutschen Erfolge noch nicht da waren, dann wäre das sicher ganz anderes gewesen. So ziehe ich aber meine Vorteile aus der Situation, dass wir in Deutschland so viele starke Spielerinnen haben.

Wie gehen die Konkurrentinnen auf der Tour mit Ihnen als Newcomerin um?

Barthel: 2012, in meinem ersten Jahr auf der Tour, kannten mich nicht viele. Nach dem Erfolg von Hobart und einigen guten Matches hat sich das drastisch geändert. Da haben viele gemerkt, dass es da noch eine Spielerin aus Deutschland gibt. Inzwischen kennen die Konkurrentinnen mich und mein Spiel sehr gut. Von daher bin ich umso glücklicher, dass ich trotzdem in Paris bestehen und gewinnen konnte.

Man kann bei Ihrer Karriere von einem Familien-Unternehmen sprechen. Ihre Mutter begleitet Sie auf der Tour, der Vater, früher ein sehr guter Kugelstoßer, ist für das Krafttraining zuständig. Wie gut sind Sie denn im Kugelstoßen?

Barthel (lacht): Das habe ich eigentlich erst einmal gemacht und nie richtig betrieben. Ansonsten aber ich vieles probiert, von Tischtennis über Hockey bis hin zur Leichtathletik - da aber kein Kugelstoßen!

Werden Sie das familiäre Karriere-Modell beibehalten?

Barthel: Meine Eltern sind die wichtigsten Personen in meiner Karriere, mein ganzes Leben habe ich mit ihnen trainiert. Das beschränkte sich nicht nur auf Tennis, sondern beinhaltete auch Kraft- und Konditionstraining. Das war bei uns schon immer so. Aber ich bin auch offen für neue Wege, neue Ansätze. In Paris habe ich zum Beispiel zum ersten Mal mit Coach Jacek Szygowski zusammengearbeitet. 2012 war ich übrigens auch auf der Suche nach einem Trainer, aber das muss eben passen...

... also arbeiten Sie ab sofort fest mit Szygowski zusammen?

Barthel: Für so eine Entscheidung ist es noch zu früh. Die Zusammenarbeit mit Jacek kam sehr spontan zusammen. Ich hatte ihn zuvor noch nie getroffen und er mich auch nicht. Der Kontakt kam bei den Australian Open zustande, durch den Trainer Robert Orlik. Er hat die Kooperation vorgeschlagen und dann haben wir das in Paris einfach mal ausprobiert.

Auf der Tour geht es für Sie nun mit den Turnieren in Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells und Miami weiter - allesamt wichtige Hartplatz-Turniere. Welche Erwartungen haben Sie?

Barthel: Ich nehme mir nie Ziele vor wie Halbfinale oder Endspiel. Denn es kommt auch sehr auf die Umstände an, die Auslosung, das Gefühl. Von daher konzentriere ich mich auf mein Spiel, um mich zu verbessern.

Dann lassen Sie mich ein konkretes Ziel vorschlagen: Wie wäre es denn mit einem neuen Rekord bei Grand-Slam-Turnieren? Bislang steht als bestes Resultat die 3. Runde bei den Australian Open zu Buche.

Barthel: Ja, das wäre in der Tat schön. Zuletzt hat es bei den Grand-Slam-Turnieren für mich nicht so gut funktioniert, das würde ich gerne ändern. Aber da ich bei den letzten vier Major-Wettbewerben jeweils in der 1. Runde gescheitert bin, kann es eigentlich nur besser werden (lacht).

joy division
Feb 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
And in English. I`m quite astonished about the pretty good translation that google offers. That was a little very different not long time ago.

Tennis - Barthel exclusive: "A completely different way of life"

Tennis pro Mona Barthel uses its opportunities. Although only in its second year on the way complete on the WTA Tour, it has brought the 22-year-old with three finals appearances on two tracks. In an exclusive interview with eurosport.yahoo.de betrays Segebergerin bathroom, where she gets an early age their mental strength. In addition, talks about Barthel tent nights, shot put and the competition.

Interview by Tobias Laure

You have just won the WTA tournament in Paris and beaten it with Marion Bartoli and Sara Errani two top-10 players. You have to leave during the course of any tiebreak tournament. Where do you get this mental strength?

Mona Barthel: I have already made in the last season some good games on the tour, including against Victoria Azarenka, the world number one. These games were against other top players that I have, however, lost many tiebreaks. These experiences help me but now, because I know that I also have very good against adversaries my chance. I am now much better able to play in the major my strongest tennis and in the tiebreak fully be there. Even if it does not work perfectly, the belief and the rest are always there.

A day after her victory in Paris you have posted on your website: "Back in the real world." The great successes you seem a little strange.

Barthel: Good point - and this very special success in Paris was unexpected. When I arrived I was absolutely not expecting to win this great and so generously staffed tournament. I had to beat three players in the top 15. That I can do, already was quite a surprise and a breakthrough for me.

It is not so long ago that you stayed at tournaments in the tent and had to withstand adverse conditions. Do you miss those days already?

Barthel: You can not compare these phases. At that time, I played the small tournaments. Since there was often not even spectators. But it's true: I've camped, sometimes at temperatures around freezing. That was a completely different life. Now I'm playing big tournaments on the other hand, big courts against the best players in the world. I miss the old tent-time, I would not say. But I am very glad that they were there. I could learn so much by it. And now I just enjoy the great hotels and stadiums on the WTA Tour. For me were and are important both worlds.

2012 You have played your first full year on the tour and the Australian Hobart equal garnered its first title. They still live off of this key event?

Barthel: I think of course again, because this first title came totally unexpected. I then came out of the qualifying into the main draw and then I won the tournament. This year I again stood in the final in Hobart and it was for me, despite losing to Jelena Wesnina a success. So Hobart I always associate with very happy memories.

By now you are ranked 28 in the world rankings, as high as ever. How far up can it go this season?

Barthel: Wow, that's hard to say. I do hope that it goes up. But first, I'm incredibly happy that I've cracked the first time the top 30th Sure, there is the potential for more, especially since I have to defend the middle of the season a few points. The focus is not on the ranking, but to develop my game and this progress in the match retrieve.

The German women's tennis is on the rise for years. Sabine Lisicki, Andrea Petkovic, Julia Goerges and last Angelique Kerber especially have been a hit and are the focus of media interest. Does that make it easier for you to develop in peace, you can even virtually in the shadow of the other.

Barthel: There is no denying that fact I have more time and rest. When my first WTA title would have come a few years earlier, when the German successes were not there, then that would certainly have been very different. I prefer but my benefits from the situation that we in Germany have so many strong players.

As the competitors go on the tour with you to the newcomer?

Barthel 2012, in my first year on the tour, many did not know me. After the success of Hobart and some good matches, this has changed dramatically. As many have noted that there still is a player from Germany. Meanwhile, the competitors know me and my game very well. So I am more happy that I still could stand to win in Paris.

You can talk with your career from a family business. She accompanied her mother on the tour, his father, formerly a very good shot putter, is responsible for the strength training. How good are you in the shot put?

Barthel (laughs): I have actually done once and never operated properly. Otherwise, however, I tried many things, from table tennis to hockey through to athletics - but since no shot put!

You will maintain the family-career model?

Barthel: My parents are the most important people in my career, my whole life I've been training with them. This was not limited to tennis, but also included strength and conditioning training. That was when we always have. But I'm also open to new ideas, new approaches. In Paris, for example, I worked for the first time with coach Jacek Szygowski. 2012, I, incidentally, was also looking for a coach, but that has to fit just ...

... So you are now firmly with Szygowski?

Barthel: For such a decision, it is still too early. The collaboration with Jacek came together very spontaneously. I had never met him before and he did not. The contact came at the Australian Open, by trainer Robert Orlik. He proposed that the cooperation and we have tried the simple times in Paris.

On the tour, it's for you now continue with the tournaments in Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami - all important hard court tournaments. What are your expectations?

Barthel: I take my goals as never before semi-final or final. For it is also very much on the circumstances, the draw, the feeling. So I concentrate on my game to get better.

Then let me suggest a specific goal: How about with a new record in Grand Slam tournaments? So far, its best result is the 3rd Round at the Australian Open to book.

Barthel: Yes, that would be nice indeed. Recently it has not at the Grand Slam tournaments works well for me so that I would like to change. But since I first in the last four major competitions in each of the Round I failed, it can only get better (laughs)

Tecumseh
Feb 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks, joy division! :worship:

Setsuna.
Feb 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks.

kadiHH
Feb 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM
And in English. I`m quite astonished about the pretty good translation that google offers. That was a little very different not long time ago.
Yes, the translations are improving, but notice that the "Bad" in Bad Segebergerin is translated as "bathroom". Sometimes I translate forum conversations into English when I can't fully comprehend the German. I noticed that when the word "wildcard" is abbreviated to "WC", the translation is "toilet". This makes for humorous reading indeed (and maybe a preoccupation with personal hygiene?)!

KatjaS
Feb 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I noticed that when the word "wildcard" is abbreviated to "WC", the translation is "toilet". This makes for humorous reading indeed (and maybe a preoccupation with personal hygiene?)!

:lol:

Who will get the toilet in Stuttgart? :lol:

Raiden
Feb 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Retweet suggestions to @BarbaraRittner :oh:brian souter ‏@briansouter1 (https://twitter.com/briansouter1)
Angelica Fratini: Mona #Barthel (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Barthel&src=hash) this week defeated half French fed cup team and the Italian fed cup team.

kadiHH
Feb 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM
:lol:

Who will get the toilet in Stuttgart? :lol:
Yeah, the first couple of times I read "toilet" I thought it was some kind of tennis slang I was unfamiliar with...I'm trying to reacquaint myself with German and tennis at the same time.

Tecumseh
Feb 11th, 2013, 05:01 PM
This is an article about Mona and an interview with her published on Laurie's Tennis Articles:

My interview with Mona Barthel - Star in the Making

Last week I had the opportunity to witness a player who could be a new star in the making.

Her name is Mona Barthel from Germany and she received a confidence boost by winning the WTA Paris Indoor event at the Stade de Coubertin. Mona won the title in style winning all of her matches in straight sets at the business end of the tournament with an incredible display of attacking tennis which the Parisians enjoyed immensely.

A friend of mine who works for the WTA tour told me 12 months ago to check out Mona Barthel, he was convinced that she is the most talented of the German players coming through and has the most potential if she believed in herself and things fell into place. That’s the beauty and difficult thing about top level sport, identifying potential and hopefully watching it come to fruition. Some players can take a bit longer to realise it, but what that means is when they are ready to fulfil their potential, they are mature enough to stay there and deal with the inevitable highs and lows top level competition brings.

Perhaps in Paris we saw the start of that potential starting to be realised. I’ve been watching and commenting on tennis for exactly 20 years and every so often you see a player with a game that seems to be a notch above the others. I recall watching Pete Sampras play defending champion Andre Agassi at Wimbledon in 1993 and thinking this guy was going to be really good because he had great shotmaking ability. I also remember watching Justine Henin in 2000 at the Canadian Open with her backhand and thinking wow. And in 2011 even though Petra Kvitova lost the Eastbourne final, I left the stadium convinced she would win Wimbledon (wish I put a bet on that…)

Why do I think Mona is a bit special? She plays a brand of tennis that is getting rarer and rarer in both the mens and womens game. Surface speeds have had a part to play in that but I’ve also often wondered if state of mind and willingness to play a certain style is a factor.

In the Paris indoor quarterfinal, Mona defeated Marion Bartoli, breaking Marion’s usually strong fighting spirit which is rare to see. The first set went to a tiebreaker after an exchange of breaks and Marion took a 6-2 lead and you would have thought that was the set; but Mona saved 4 set points in a row with bold play to take the tiebreak 9-7 which left the Parisian crowd bemused and perplexed. I’ve watched Marion play many times over the years in Eastbourne (where she won the title), Wimbledon and Paris but this was the first time I’ve seen her beaten before a match is over.

That is what a player serving well can do, it gives them confidence to raise their return level which in turn can give a level of hopelessness to an opponent. That is what Barthel did to her opponents last week in Paris, if she was playing well her opponents felt they didn’t have much of a chance.

Mona plays what used to be referred to as the big game, she has superior talent to impose her game regardless of the opponent. This type of game involves been prepared to take risks on the serve, take to the net and go for the returns in a controlled but aggressive fashion. It sounds simple but is not easy to do, it takes a combination of been blessed with natural power, having a certain mentality and using conventional grips for economy and efficiency of movement.

Mona possesses all of these attributes and is quite tall as well which helps. Her willingness to get to net is a joy to watch , and her volley technique is very good, she puts slice on forehand volleys and not just push the ball which so many modern players do which leads to unforced errors so often. Her half volleys were superb; on one point in the final against Errani, she came in and hit a half volley in the corner for a clean winner which left Errani stunned, the sort of stuff Sampras used to do. The guy next to me was getting very excited, saying things like “magnifique!”

Mona is also willing to hit shots down the line off both wings either for winners or to stretch her opponent so she can come in to net and take floating balls out of the air. Her movement is quite good for a tall player and she is willing to scramble to stay in the rally until she can get a possibility to get the point on her terms. But what I found really stood out was her serve. Mona has potentially the best serve in the world after Serena Williams and could take over as the best server in the world once Serena leaves the scene.

I have often discussed that the technical standard of serving today is not quite up there. There are many players who can serve fast on the first serve but not many can serve with real precision and deception at pace. Mona is already mastering the key serves that should take her game to the next level; the slider serve on the deuce and ad court, the big serve down the middle and a strong 2nd serve.

Having these 3 components whilst possessing the ability to hit lines means the returner has to get into the guessing game, which always makes for a great spectacle for those interested in thinking man’s tennis, the returner has to adjust and come up with something. Her service motion in many ways is reminiscent of a young Pete Sampras in terms in terms of smoothness and good knee bend and the ability to come over the ball with slice and topspin at pace; it is an elegant service motion. Mona’s strong 2nd serve will be needed should she progress up the rankings and start to challenge for major tournaments in future.

Having put together such an exciting game is a tribute to her coaching staff. In my article “The match that changed tennis” I mentioned that future aggressive players coming through will depend on coaches and young players willing to buck the trend of the safe counterpunching style of play and show that risk and reward tennis can still a viable tactic at the top level. Make no mistake, risk and reward in a controlled fashion, not hitting wild shots and racking up a large amount of errors.

The combination of having a great serve and a great game to back it up is an exciting combination which can take a player to the very top. Players like Lindsay Davenport, Venus and Serena Williams have shown that in recent times. If Mona Barthel can keep improving, working hard, continue to build her self-belief and study the past masters, she might one day become a household name and be a contender at the major tournaments and hopefully win the big prizes.

Mona was kind enough to answer some questions after her win in Paris last week:

1. Congratulations on winning the title at the WTA Paris indoor event (Open GDF Suez). A lot of great players have won there in the 20 years of its existence, including Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Amelie Mauresmo. How does it feel to win such a prestigious event?

Thank you. It is amazing to win such a "big" tournament. So many great players have won it before. It came really unexpected to me. I was so happy, when I won the first round. And then I won match by match and suddenly I was in the final. I beat three players in the Top 15, so it was a great week for me. When I read the names of the former champions, it is quite unreal for me to be on the same list. But of course, it is a good feeling:)

2. You were able to win the quarterfinal, semifinal and final in straight sets, against last year’s finalist Marion Bartoli and French Open finalist Sara Errani. How much confidence do you feel such a win would give you as your career develops?

This tournament was some kind of a breakthrough for me, because last year I had a lot of close matches against the top players, but I wasn't able to win them. In Paris it was different, especially in the tough moments, I was able to play my best tennis.

3. Last summer I interviewed Angelique Kerber and pointed out that there were a crop of young German players coming through and doing very well on the WTA tour and pushing each other up the rankings. What do you think is the reason or factor in so many players coming through at a similar age?

It's true, there are so many good German players right now, which is really nice to see. But to be quite honest, I don't know a reason for it. I think a lot of things has to come together, to have so many good players. But what we have, is a good atmosphere. We are supporting each other and like you said " pushing each other up the rankings".

4. I am fascinated with your serving ability, when I watched you in Paris your service motion reminded me of a young Pete Sampras from the early 1990s in terms of smoothness and technicality. How did you develop such a technically strong serve? Is it something you worked on a lot or is it something that came naturally?

Well first of all, thank you very much. It's really nice to get compared with such a good server. I always had a good serve, but it wasn't always consistent. I was working on it in the offseason a lot, trying to get a higher first serve percentage and getting a more aggressive second serve. And it improved a lot and it is helping me so much on court.

5. Your willingness to get to net is refreshing in an era where many players are content to stay back and keep the rallies going or only going to net “to shake hands” as they say; you are also happy to take the ball out of the air and throw in the odd serve and volley. Is there a reason you enjoy coming to net so much, or do you adopt certain strategies depending on opponents?

Well I think it is coming naturally. If I feel, I have a good chance to go to the net, I take it. I enjoy playing volleys and it suits my game as well.

6. Which players did you admire and enjoy most when you were growing up?

When I was young, I really liked Steffi Graf. She was playing so nice and was so successful. And I think, she has a great personality as well. I was wearing the same clothes like her and had the same racquet. Even if people asked for my name, I said it's "Steffi". They didn't believe me and wanted to know my real name. But I said " It's Steffi, you can see, I am wearing her clothes". I was about 4 or 5 at that time:). But I still admire her.

7. Which players would you have liked to play from the past and why?

I would choose Steffi Graf. Like I said, she was my idol growing up and it would be great to play with her.

8. What would you say are your medium to long term goals for your career?

I am more focussing on my game rather than my ranking. If I am improving and playing better tennis, my ranking will go up automatically.

9. What do you think are your greatest strengths on a tennis court?

I would say, my strength is my love for the game. I just enjoy playing tennis and playing against the best players in the world. In my opinion, that is the most important thing.

10. What things do you like to do outside of tennis?

I like to do a lot off the court. I think, it's really important to have a balanced life and not to think all the time about tennis. For example I created and I am still updating my own website. In the offseason I designed and sewed two of my tennis dresses. I did it for the first time and it is a nice feeling to wear your own dresses. Otherwise, if I have the chance, I like to see things of the places, I am visiting. Last year I went to a lot of musicals and museums, which I really enjoyed.

Laurie is a member on TF and has already posted this interview on GM. I really like her tennis blog so if you want to read more articles and interviews from her you should go to http://burnstennis.blogspot.co.uk/.

Tecumseh
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Mona's report of today from her website:

11.2.: I am happy with my first win. It is never easy to play someone you haven't seen a lot.

crazillo
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Usually she always mentions the opponent and gives credit but not so today. I know why. :D

Tecumseh
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Usually she always mentions the opponent and gives credit but not so today. I know why. :D

I couldn't watch the match. Was Putintseva really that terrible?

Setsuna.
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:26 PM

She is beyond terrible. Some ppl were laughing at her sometimes. They thought she was crazy or something.

crazillo
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:27 PM

She tried to fool some posters here and only showed relatively "standard" emotion in the first couple games but then she really started yelling it right in Mona's face. At one point Mona had a couple BPs and whenever Putintseva saved one she would scream louder and louder and Mona would shout back once she got back to advantage. Quite funny to watch but no fun to play against I'm sure. :p

Tecumseh
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:38 PM
^ Thanks for the info! I am happy that Mona was able to react properly to this annoying nonsense.

Tecumseh
Feb 25th, 2013, 05:36 PM
This is an interview with Mona which was published on the website of her german league team. My thanks goes to tennisfreak13 for having already posted the corresponding link in Volume 2. I improved the Google translation a bit but it's still not very good. But i think it should be more understandable now.

Mona Barthel in the interview: "A German Cup is always special"

Question: Mona Barthel, the new Bundesliga season begins in May and is therefore available on the doorstep. 2012 brought the TC BW Watt Extra Bocholt their first title. These are the memories yet?

Mona Barthel: Definitely. It was to win a beautiful experience while achieving the optimal target to have. It was for me the first German team championship. It's always special. Mainly remains the beautiful and heartfelt ceremony in remembrance and joy in our coach Hartmut Bielefeld. There are also tears flowed and was a lot of fun, especially after the narrow 5-4 result on the final day against M2Beauté Ratingen before thousands of spectators.

Q: That was your first season for Bocholt. But you are in the league for a long time?

Mona Barthel: I have played since I was 13 in the Bundesliga for the TC Alsterquelle in Schleswig-Holstein. Yes, that is almost ten years Bundesliga. Later we took the TC Red-White Wahlstedt, also in Schleswig-Holstein, has risen year after year to the First League and played in the final 2011 against Watt Extra Bocholt. 2011, after the withdrawal of the club from the Bundesliga, I switched to Bocholt.

Question: What makes such a success of a team? Otherwise, tennis is more of an individual sport.

Mona Barthel: The difference is not on the court, but outside we are a team. The others support you on the sidelines when it’s not going so well. This has also been identified in the final against Ratingen much. You give everything to win because the team wants.

Q: Many players from the team Bocholter tours across the world from tournament to tournament. Then talked about the Bundesliga in Bocholt?

Mona Barthel: Definitely. They know each other and learn to know each other and train together also. The experience of the German championship keeps being alive every now and again.

Question: Mona Barthel on 18 In February for the first time with 27th achieved a place in the top 30 in the world rankings, and so you among the world elite. Tournament Win there was in January 2012 in Hobart / Australia and most recently in Paris. What is next?

Mona Barthel: The start of the year 2012 was extremely good with the victory in Hobart. Later, it was not so good, I felt a bit tired, was also some times eliminated in the first round. But I had great matches against the number one Victoria Azarenka and Agnieszka Radwanska, now fourth in the world rankings, with match point. Overall, I was not dissatisfied.

Question: Now that you have confirmed world ranking points from last year already and still improving. Where is the way forward?

Mona Barthel: Fortunately, the year has started well. I had to defend a lot of points. That worked out. In Hobart I was in the finals. In Paris the victory I have with Marion Bartoli and Sara Errani beat two of the top ten. Perhaps I have become in my second big tour year more experienced. They know each other from already. My serve has become more reliable in particular, and have a higher success rate at the first service. My game is more complete now. And which ball you can hit just to make the point - it also has a lot to do with experience.

Question: The appointment to the Fed Cup National team for the opening match of the World Group II in France, which Germany won 3-1, they had omitted. Was that the right decision?

Mona Barthel: I don’t feel sorry about my refusal. I needed some rest after Paris and had therefore made the decision. That was definitely right. I didn’t rebuff coach Barbara Rittner for all time. We'll see what comes in April when the next match is pending.

Question: Then it goes into a home match against 2012 finalists Serbia to the resurgence in the premier league, the World Group. How do you assess the chances of the German team, which includes your Bocholter teammate Anna-Lena Groenefeld?

Mona Barthel: It depends on whether Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic, both of whom had been number one in the world rankings will join. If so, it is certainly difficult. But we have good players with Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges and Sabine Lisicki and a good chance to win the match and go up again.

Q: Your teammate Anna-Lena Groenefeld belongs for nine years to the German Fed Cup team. What is your estimate?

Mona Barthel: Anna-Lena has a special meaning for the team, because she has a very great experience. She fits very well to the team, because she brings in double points and was one of the most successful german players in singles with a ranking in the top 20 in the world.

Question: How is the relationship of the pro tennis players with one another when you tour the world? Is there sometimes strong catfight?

Mona Barthel: Not really. We understand each other very well in general. Of course everybody wants to win on the court. But we also spend a lot of time together, travel together frequently to the respective tournaments and see each other therefore very often.

Question: training, matches, hotels. That's life as a professional. Do you and your mother Hannelore, with which you are traveling, see something from the attractions of the venues and the beautiful corners of this world

Mona Barthel: We collect new impressions every week. We try to incorporate them with us when I am free from play, or when I go out of the tournament and to the departure still has some time. We look ever at musicals, and even Manhattan was in New York for us very special. Boredom does not exist nevertheless. Qualifications, tournaments, physiotherapy treatments, updates to my Web site and organize the journey to the next place - it will not be boring.

Question: tennis pros travel ten to eleven months a year. There is still time for hobbies?

Mona Barthel: Little. At the end of last season when I was at home, I used the sewing machine from my grandmother and sewed two tennis clothes - just in order to do other things. Supposedly they will not look so bad. I wore them in tournaments also – like in Paris and won with it.

Question: You have been without a coach on tour. Will it remain the same?

Mona Barthel: I must have the feeling that a coach really helps me. We are working now with the pool of coaches of Robert Orlik from Cologne. And out of this team it was Jacek Szygowski from Lübeck who has supported me in Paris. The team also supports Annika Beck and Bjorn Phau, and we will start all together in Indian Wells. Let's see how it goes then.

Question: Back to Bocholt for Bundesliga. How do you assess the chances of the team in May / June to defend the title?. The big favorite M2Beauté Ratingen probably will do everything again for the first time to win the championship.

Mona Barthel: Of course it depends on the full team. But we seem to be back in a good position, and therefore there are is a good chance to win. Even more important is the cohesion of the team. And that is really good. Hartmut Bielefeld cares great for us and leaves nothing to chance.

heavyhorse
Feb 25th, 2013, 05:40 PM
So she isn't completely against the idea of having a coach then. It seems to be growing on her? If so that's great news because it worked wonders for her game and confidence on the court.

Tecumseh
Feb 25th, 2013, 05:42 PM
And here is the original version of the interview in german:

Mona Barthel im Interview: „Eine deutsche Meisterschaft ist immer etwas Besonderes“

Frage: Mona Barthel, die neue Bundesligasaison beginnt im Mai und steht somit unmittelbar vor der Tür. 2012 holten Sie mit dem TC BW WattExtra Bocholt ihren ersten Titel. Sind die Erinnerungen noch wach?

Mona Barthel: Auf jeden Fall. Es war ein schönes Erlebnis zu gewinnen und gleichzeitig das optimale Ziel erreicht zu haben. Es war auch für mich die erste deutsche Mannschafts-Meisterschaft. Das ist immer etwas Besonderes. Vor allem bleibt die schöne und herzliche Siegerehrung in Erinnerung und die Freude bei unserem Coach Hartmut Bielefeld. Es sind auch Tränen geflossen und hat sehr viel Spaß gemacht, vor allem nach dem knappen 5:4-Ergebnis am letzten Spieltag gegen M2Beauté Ratingen vor Tausenden von Zuschauern.

Frage: Das war Ihre erste Saison für Bocholt. Aber in der Bundesliga sind Sie schon lange zu Hause?

Mona Barthel: Ich habe bereits mit 13 Jahren in der Bundesliga für den TC Alsterquelle in Schleswig-Holstein gespielt. Ja, das werden schon fast zehn Jahre Bundesliga. Später sind wir mit dem TC Rot-Weiß Wahlstedt, ebenfalls in Schleswig-Holstein, Jahr für Jahr bis in die Erste Liga aufgestiegen und haben im letzten Erstligajahr auch gegen WattExtra Bocholt gespielt. 2011, nach dem Rückzug des Vereins aus der Bundesliga, bin ich nach Bocholt gewechselt.

Frage: Was macht solch einen Teamerfolg aus? Sonst ist Tennis eher ein Individualsport.

Mona Barthel: Der Unterschied ist nicht auf dem Platz, sondern außerhalb sind wir ein Team. Die anderen unterstützen dich an der Seitenlinie, wenn es nicht so gut läuft. Das hat auch im Endspiel gegen Ratingen viel ausgemacht. Du gibst alles, weil das Team gewinnen will.

Frage: Viele Spielerinnen aus der Bocholter Mannschaft touren quer durch die Welt von Turnier zu Turnier. Wird dann auch über die Bundesliga in Bocholt gesprochen?

Mona Barthel: Auf jeden Fall. Man kennt sich und lernt sich näher kennen und trainiert auch zusammen. Das Erlebnis der deutschen Meisterschaft lebt dann immer mal wieder auf.

Frage: Mona Barthel hat am 18. Februar erstmals mit Rang 27 einen Platz in den Top 30 der Weltrangliste erreicht, und damit gehören Sie zur Weltspitze. Turniersiege gab es im Januar 2012 in Hobart/Australien und jüngst in Paris. Wie geht es weiter?

Mona Barthel: Der Start im Vorjahr war extrem gut mit dem Sieg in Hobart. Später lief es nicht so gut, ich fühlte mich etwas kaputt, bin auch einige Male in der ersten Runde ausgeschieden. Dennoch hatte ich gute Matches gegen die Nummer eins Victoria Azarenka oder Agnieszka Radwanska, heute Vierte der Weltrangliste, mit Matchball. Insgesamt war ich nicht unzufrieden.

Frage: Jetzt haben Sie Weltranglistenpunkte aus dem Vorjahr bereits bestätigt und sich noch verbessert. Wohin führt der weitere Weg?

Mona Barthel: Zum Glück hat das Jahr gut angefangen. Ich hatte viele Punkte zu verteidigen. Das hat geklappt. In Hobart stand ich im Finale. In Paris beim Sieg habe ich mit Marion Bartoli und Sara Errani zwei aus den Top ten geschlagen. Vielleicht bin ich in meinem zweiten großen Tour-Jahr etwas erfahrener geworden. Man kennt sich schon aus. Ich schlage jetzt vor allem konstanter auf, und habe eine höhere Erfolgsquote beim ersten Service. Mein Spiel ist kompletter. Und welchen Ball du gerade schlagen kannst, um den Punkt zu machen – das hat auch viel mit Erfahrung zu tun.

Frage: Die Berufung ins Fed-Cup-Nationalteam für das Auftaktspiel der Weltgruppe II in Frankreich, das Deutschland 3:1 gewann, hatten Sie ausgelassen. War das die richtige Entscheidung?

Mona Barthel: Die Absage tut mir nicht leid. Ich brauchte nach Paris etwas Ruhe und hatte auch deshalb die Entscheidung getroffen. Die war auf jeden Fall richtig. Ich habe Teamchefin Barbara Rittner ja nicht für alle Zeiten einen Korb gegeben. Warten wir ab, was im April kommt, wenn das nächste Match ansteht.

Frage: Dann geht es in einem Heimspiel gegen 2012-Finalist Serbien um den Wiederaufstieg in die Erste Liga, die Weltgruppe. Wie schätzen Sie die Chancen des deutschen Teams ein, in dem auch ihre Bocholter Teamkollegin Anna-Lena Grönefeld steht?

Mona Barthel: Es kommt darauf an, ob Jelena Jankovic und Ana Ivanovic, die beide schon Nummer eins der Weltrangliste waren, mitspielen. Wenn ja, wird es sicherlich schwierig. Doch auch wir haben gute Spielerinnen mit Angelique Kerber, Julia Görges oder Sabine Lisicki und gute Chancen, das Match zu gewinnen und wieder aufzusteigen.

Frage: Ihre Teamkollegin Anna-Lena Grönefeld gehört schon seit neun Jahren zum deutschen Fed-Cup-Team. Wie ist Ihre Einschätzung?

Mona Barthel: Anna-Lena hat für die Mannschaft eine besondere Bedeutung, weil sie eine besonders große Erfahrung hat. Sie passt sehr gut ins Team, bringt die Punkte im Doppel und war eine der erfolgreichsten deutschen Spielerin im Einzel mit einem Ranking unter den Top 20 in der Welt.

Frage: Wie ist das Verhältnis der Tennisprofispielerinnen untereinander, wenn Sie durch die Welt touren? Gibt es da auch mal kräftigen Zickenalarm?

Mona Barthel: Eigentlich nicht. Wir verstehen uns untereinander im allgemeinen sehr gut. Natürlich will jede auf dem Platz gewinnen. Aber man ist ja auch viel zusammen, reist häufig gemeinsam zu den jeweiligen Turnieren und sieht sich somit sehr häufig.

Frage: Training, Matches, Hotels. Das ist der Alltag als Profi. Sehen Sie mit Ihrer Mutter Hannelore, mit der Sie unterwegs sind, auch etwas von den Sehenswürdigkeiten der Spielorte und den schönen Winkeln dieser Welt?

Mona Barthel: Man sammelt jede Woche neue Eindrücke. Wir versuchen, sie mit einzubauen und uns etwas anzusehen, wenn spielfrei ist oder man eher herausfliegt aus dem Turnier und bis zum Abflug noch etwas Zeit hat. Wir schauen uns schon mal Musicals an, und auch Manhattan in New York war für uns etwas ganz Besonderes. Langeweile gibt es gleichwohl nicht. Qualifikationen, Turniere, physiotherapeutische Behandlungen, Aktuelles ins Internet stellen, die Anreise zum nächsten Ort organisieren – langweilig wird es nicht.

Frage: Tennisprofis sind zehn bis elf Monate im Jahr unterwegs. Bleibt da noch Zeit für Hobbys?

Mona Barthel: Wenig. Nach Ende der vergangenen Saison habe ich mich zu Hause doch mal an die Nähmaschine von Oma gesetzt und mir zwei Tenniskleider genäht – einfach, um mal etwas anderes zu machen. Angeblich sollen sie nicht so schlecht aussehen. Ich habe sie bei Turnieren auch angezogen – und Paris damit gewonnen.

Frage: Sie sind bisher ohne Trainer auf Tour. Bleibt das so?

Mona Barthel: Ich muss das Gefühl haben, dass mir ein Trainer auch wirklich weiterhilft. Wir arbeiten aber jetzt mit dem Trainerpool von Robert Orlik aus Köln zusammen. Und aus seinem Team hat Jacek Szygowski aus Lübeck mich auch in Paris unterstützt. Das Team betreut auch Annika Beck und Björn Phau, und wir starten alle zusammen in Indian Wells. Mal sehen, wie es danach weitergeht.

Frage: Zurück nach Bocholt zur Bundesliga. Wie schätzen Sie die Chancen ein, dass das Team im Mai/Juni den Titel verteidigen kann?. Der große Favorit M2Beauté Ratingen wird vermutlich wieder alles daransetzen, erstmals Meister zu werden.

Mona Barthel: Natürlich kommt es aufs gesamte Team an. Aber das scheint ja wieder gut aufgestellt zu sein, und deshalb bestehen auch gute Chancen zu gewinnen. Wichtiger noch ist der Zusammenhalt in der Mannschaft. Und der ist wirklich gut. Hartmut Bielefeld kümmert sich super um uns und überlässt nichts dem Zufall.

Tecumseh
Feb 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
From Mona's website:

25.2.: I took some days break and got a lot of physiotherapeutic treatments. Now I am practicing again and looking forward to playing my next tournament.

Wonderwall
Feb 26th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Her knee's fine then :bigclap:

joy division
Feb 26th, 2013, 07:22 PM
^
Hopefully.:unsure:

Tecumseh
Feb 26th, 2013, 09:50 PM
^
Hopefully.:unsure:

I hope Mona has fully recovered and that she will be in a good form when she goes to Indian Wells. Given her report it seems that her injury was more serious than i initially had expected.

tennisfreak13
Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Mona hat den "Mein Team" Bereich ihrer Homepage mal aktualisiert. Seit Februar 2013 arbeite ich mit dem Trainerteam der Robert Orlik Tennisakademie zusammen. Vorwiegend werden sie mich auf Turnieren begleiten.
www.rota.pro

Since February 2013, I'm working with the coaching team of the Robert Orlik Tennis Academy. Mainly they will accompany me to tournaments. www.rota.pro

KatjaS
Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:17 PM
Orlik and Szygowski are in Indian Wells, so I'm guessing (or rather hoping) that Szygowski will coach her again here.

Tecumseh
Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
It's good to hear that there seems to be a solid agreement between Mona and the Robert Orlik Academy. It appears that she finally feels more comfortable with the idea of having a proper tourcoach. :)

Setsuna.
Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hopefully Szygowski keeps coaching her.

Tecumseh
Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Hopefully Szygowski keeps coaching her.

I think he will as Robert Orlik will still focus on coaching Annika Beck. Maybe Mona can additionally use his academy for some practise between the tournaments.

Setsuna.
Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
I think he will as Robert Orlik will still focus on coaching Annika Beck. Maybe Mona can additionally use his academy for some practise between the tournaments.

Good news. I just feel that he is the perfect coach for her so I really hope he keeps coaching Mona for most of her career. I mean he never met Mona before Paris yet the ONLY week he coached Mona was the best week in Mona's career so far. :lol: How many times you see that happen in tennis? Very rarely for sure.:lol: That alone should convince Mona to keep working with him.

Tecumseh
Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Good news. I just feel that he is the perfect coach for her so I really hope he keeps coaching Mona for most of her career. I mean he never met Mona before Paris yet the ONLY week he coached Mona was the best week in Mona's career so far. :lol: How many times you see that happen in tennis? Very rarely for sure.:lol: That alone should convince Mona to keep working with him.

Not only that he looks like Jesus, he also seems to have his healing hands. :D

King Halep
Mar 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
He looks more like Rasputin :(

kiriosh.
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Szygowski should travel with her. Seems he really helps Mona growing her skills. Is today IW draw, right?

Leyla., you have mistake with Jovanovski's name in signature :secret:

Setsuna.
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Not only that he looks like Jesus, he also seems to have his healing hands. :D

True. :lol:

Szygowski should travel with her. Seems he really helps Mona growing her skills. Is today IW draw, right?

Yes, IW's draw will be made today.

Leyla., you have mistake with Jovanovski's name in signature :secret:

Thanks. :o:lol:

Schnffy
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
He looks more like Rasputin :(

Not anymore... :p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEZdAENCYAArWYp.jpg:large

Annika and Björn Phau are training at the Orlik Tennis Academy, right is Robert Orlik.

That should be Mona's team in Indian Wells and Miami. ;)

joy division
Mar 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
It could tell something about their not yet very close relation that Mona is not yet on that pic/ in Indian Wells.

Tecumseh
Mar 4th, 2013, 11:38 AM
It could tell something about their not yet very close relation that Mona is not yet on that pic/ in Indian Wells.

That pic was taken a few days ago and i am suspecting that Mona still was in germany at that day. The fact that she published the cooperation with Team Orlik on her website indicates that she takes it more seriously than i had expected.

matthias
Mar 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
i hope she has this Rasputing guy coaching her in IW
he gave her good advice

crazillo
Mar 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Manches kann man auch überinterpretieren. :)

joy division
Mar 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
That pic was taken a few days ago and i am suspecting that Mona still was in germany at that day. The fact that she published the cooperation with Team Orlik on her website indicates that she takes it more seriously than i had expected.

I have to say I expected that she would take it a little more serious. It looks to me that she still is very careful in this matter and the insight that she needs somebody else. We`ll see how it develops.

joy division
Mar 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Manches kann man auch überinterpretieren. :)

War ja auch nicht so richtig ernst gemeint.;)

Tecumseh
Mar 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I have to say I expected that she would take it a little more serious. It looks to me that she still is very careful in this matter and the insight that she needs somebody else. We`ll see how it develops.

She seems to be looking for a coach who really suits her and is able to improve her game. If being careful about this matter means that she won't hire some random coach i am fine with it. I expect and hope that Mona will be testing this cooperation for the rest of the year and then we'll see how she decides on this issue. All in all i have the feeling that she matches very well with Orlik, Szygowski and also with Annika as her potential training partner.

Tecumseh
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Mona's new report from her website:

4.3.: Now I am here for 4 days in Indian Wells. I like the landscape very much. I had a lot of practice here.

Bino
Mar 4th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Maybe she took the picture :cool:

Tecumseh
Mar 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM
From Mona's website:

9.3.: I am happy to win my first match in Indian Wells this year. Kiki played well in defense but played aggressive as well, so she made winning for me not easy.

9.3.: Due to a special occasion I would like to say once again that I do not have a twitter account and also any Facebook page.

I am wondering what this special occasion is about.

joy division
Mar 13th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Interesting interview in context with her FedCup appearance which is causing a lot of talks and gibberish in the German threads and also some words on the role of her coach.

http://www.handelsblatt.com/tennis-fed-cup-barthel-nach-absage-richtige-entscheidung/7915308.html

Köln (SID) - Für Tennisprofi Mona Barthel war ihr Verzicht auf einen Einsatz im Fed Cup gegen Frankreich (3:1) auch im Rückblick die richtige Entscheidung. Das sagte die Weltranglisten-28. im Gespräch mit dem Tennis-Magazin (Ausgabe vom 15. März). "Für mich war es auch im Nachhinein die richtige Entscheidung, den Fed Cup abzusagen", sagte die 22-Jährige.

Ihre Zukunft im deutschen Team lässt Barthel offen: "Ich weiß es noch nicht. Wenn Barbara ihre Entscheidung getroffen hat, dann werde ich auch meine treffen", sagte Barthel, die sich beim WTA-Turnier in Miami mit Teamchefin Barabara Rittner zusammensetzen will.

Ihre derzeitige Stärke macht Barthel vor allem an ihrem neuen Trainergespann Robert Orlik und Jacek Szygowski fest, mit dem sie seit Anfang Februar zusammenarbeitet. "Jacek konnte mir auf dem Platz wertvolle Tipps geben", sagte Barthel, die aber auch ohne Coach ihre Schwächen auf dem Tenniscourt ausmerzen kann: "Ich habe selbst ein gutes Gefühl dafür, was ich noch verbessern muss. Ich kann auch auf dem Platz gut einschätzen, was mir noch fehlt, um die Top-Spielerinnen zu schlagen."

Mona Barthel thinks that her refusal to play for the German FedCupteam against France was the right decision.
In an interview of March 15th with the German"Tennis-Magazin" she said :
"In retrospect it was the right decision for me to refuse the FedCupmatch."
Barthel leaves open how it will be in the future. "I do not yet know. When Barbara comes to a decision I will make mine", Barthel said, who wants to meet Rittner at Miami.

Barthel thinks that her good form is mainly a consequence of the work with her new coaches Orlik and Szygowski. They are working together since February . "Jacek gave me some worthy hints on the court" she said, whereat she thinks that she can get managed her weaknesses on her own : "I have a good sense on my own for the things I still have to improve. I also can judge on the court pretty well what I`m still missing to beat the top players."

Tecumseh
Mar 13th, 2013, 10:34 PM

13.3.: Unfortunately I lost in three sets to Sam Stosur. I won the first set, but Sam was able to raise her level. Nevertheless I am happy with this tournament and looking forward to playing my next tournament.

Setsuna.
Mar 15th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Barthel thinks that her good form is mainly a consequence of the work with her new coaches Orlik and Szygowski. They are working together since February . "Jacek gave me some worthy hints on the court" she said, whereat she thinks that she can get managed her weaknesses on her own : "I have a good sense on my own for the things I still have to improve. I also can judge on the court pretty well what I`m still missing to beat the top players."

Good.

King Halep
Mar 15th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I think every player needs a coach, even Hantuchova

Setsuna.
Mar 15th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I think every player needs a coach, even Hantuchova

:happy:

Tecumseh
Mar 15th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Here is a piece of an interview with Mona that was published in the new "german tennis magazine" which has been released today. It explains her coaching situation in more detail. I translated this little passage from german into english. So it may not be a perfect translation but maybe good enough to understand in which direction Mona is heading in this matter.

In Paris you were working with Jacek Szygowski who is a coach from the Robert Orlik Academy. Did he provide some new input for you?

Yes of course. It was naturally a difficult situation for both of us because we just got to know each other in Paris. You have to get used to each other first. Jacek could give me some worthy tips on the court but we did not analyze my game until now intensively. You can’t do that during a tournament, therefor you have to work together for a certain amount of time. Considering that Jacek and I didn’t know each other before the tournament it all went superbly.

Is he going to be your new coach?

I am working together with the whole academy, not only with Jacek. During the next tournaments he and Robert will be accompanying me and after that we will see. It can sometimes happen that I will travel to a tournament with my mother alone but on the whole I am planning to work with a tour coach.

What kind of role does your home coach Maik Schürbesmann play?

Everytime when I am at home I am working with Maik. I enjoy to work with him and I would like to continue our cooperation. We do know each other for many years and if there is a good agreement between all the coaches everything will work out fine.

joy division
Mar 16th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Finally some little more reasonable and clear words of Mona in that concern. Her statements in the article I posted two days ago were pretty much contradictory.

Still the whole thing is a little confusing to me.
Hope she can find a good arrangement with so many different kind of people around her in permanent change.
Because as known - too many cooks could spoil the broth.

yoite
Mar 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I want to konw what's her next tournament after Miami? :)

mk27
Mar 16th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I want to konw what's her next tournament after Miami? :)

Charleston and then Stuttgart

yoite
Mar 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM
OK I know~Thank you:)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

King Halep
Mar 16th, 2013, 12:32 PM
They designed a suite for Mona at Charleston :eek:

http://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/images/article/Aug2012/Montana-Paws-Up-luxury-tent.jpg

Tecumseh
Mar 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
OK I know~Thank you:)

Hi yoite, welcome to our club! :wavey:

yoite
Mar 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks:)You know there is also a forum which named "tieba" in China. And I am the manager of Mona'column. So I come here to share some news of Mona with you and participate in some discussion. I think we will have a great time here:D

Setsuna.
Mar 16th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks Heiko.

crazillo
Mar 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Sorry to switch to Chinese, just ignore me. :)

欢迎来到Tennisforum yoite! Mona Barthel的名字用中文怎么说?请问给我发你Barthel的网站, 我想去看看。我们这里肯定有机会讨论Mona的网球赛!

Tecumseh
Mar 16th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks:)You know there is also a forum which named "tieba" in China. And I am the manager of Mona'column. So I come here to share some news of Mona with you and participate in some discussion. I think we will have a great time here:D

Sounds really good! :yeah:

pov
Mar 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
we did not analyze my game until now intensively.
Heresy! Analyze your game? No don't do that. According to one of your fans on TF, that would be akin to dissing yourself. Since you're a good player, obviously there's nothing in your game that can be improved. :devil:

yoite
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:46 AM

欢迎来到Tennisforum yoite! Mona Barthel的名字用中文怎么说?请问给我发你Barthel的网站, 我想去看看。我们这里肯定有机会讨论Mona的网球赛!

Her name is "萌娜 巴瑟尔" in China. Someone translated it as "莫娜 布汀娜".While the first one is the official one and most of Chinese fan call her "萌娜" because it sounds very lovely.
By the way, connect me with English is just ok:)

yoite
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:06 AM

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%E5%B7%B4%E7%91%9F%E5%B0%94
That is the address.

Tecumseh
Mar 17th, 2013, 10:43 PM
This is another part of Mona's interview with the "german tennis magazine" in which she talks about the fed cup and her cancellation. I have translated it from german into english.

The fed cup has been a big issue. After your victory in Paris and with all the injured players there was some irritation about you not playing fed cup. Why didn’t you start for your team?

I made my decision during the Australian Open. There were several reasons because of which I decided not to play. One reason was that I wanted to focus on my singles career and the others were of personal nature. And I don’t want to talk about them. For me it is even in hindsight the right decision to cancel the fed cup. It may seem strange to outsiders that someone denies the nomination for his country. Of course it is a dream for me to play fed cup for Germany one day but it was not the right time for me. On the other hand this does not mean that I will never play fed cup.

Your personal reasons are making us curious…

I understand that but I would like you to respect that I don’t want to talk about it.

Would you have liked Barbara Rittner to ask you again after your success in Paris?

No, I made my decision in Australia and it did not come easily to me. I had been thinking about it for a long time and then I decided not to play. If this turns out to be my only chance to play fed cup then I have to live with it. In any case I was very happy that Germany won.

Did you follow the match?

Of course I did. I was already in Doha in order to prepare for the tournament and at the same time I was following the live score. Since the live stream was not working I did not get any pictures.

Did you have any contact to your team?

Yes I had. I wished the best of luck to all of them. We are in good relations within the team. That I did not play was not a decision against any player.

Julia Goerges could not understand your decision and was criticizing you in public. Did you get hurt by this emotionally?

Everyone has his own opinion with regard to the fed cup. And not everybody has to understand my decision but as long as there is respect everything is fine. I do accept Julia’s opinion. She has always played so far and that’s why it is maybe more difficult for her to understand the cancellation.

Last year in Stuttgart you were for the first time a part of the team. How did you like it?

It was a nice time and also something special to have witnessed all this. It was a unique atmosphere in the team that you don’t experience as an individual sportswoman every day. It was a pity that I was not nominated due to the fact that I was only the fifth player. But to have been a part of this was great.

Were you disappointed that Barbara Rittner decided to nominate Andrea Petkovic who had just come back from a long-time injury?

No, not really. I did not expect to be part of the team. I got a call just two days before the practice week started. So I did not have any hopes to play. The decision concerning the nomination is made by Barbara Rittner and I accept her decisions. I would not claim that I would have performed better than Andrea. The fed cup is a special experience on which everybody reacts differently. You can play either your best tennis or you can be overchallenged.

Are you in frequent contact with Barbara Rittner who is closely networked with her players via twitter and facebook?

I would not say so. We do have some contact but with regard to my career I am mostly influenced by my parents.

In April there is the encounter between Germany and Serbia. Will it take place with Mona Barthel?

It depends on how Barbara will line up the team. We have a lot of good players.

But you are the number three at the moment.

Yes, that’s true. Let’s see how it will look like in April. There is still some time left.

Would you like to play or wouldn’t you like?

I still don’t know. When Barbara will have made her decision I will decide.

kadiHH
Mar 18th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the translation, Tecumseh. I think this article shows that Mona is a mature young woman with conviction--she gives a well-balanced interview which is informative for her fans and also clearly delineates what she will and will not discuss. Hopefully the whole affair of not playing in Limoges can be put to rest!

joy division
Mar 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
^^^
Keep your hair on.;)
Btw., your avatar choices are always quite interesting.
Right now it`s German players - strangest pic.:lol:

Tecumseh
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Mona's new reports from her website:

18.3.: Yesterday I met with Denise Cronwall (designer and manufacturer of tennis clothes that I wear.) and her family. That was a nice break in the practice routine.

17.3.: Meanwhile I am here in Miami and started my practice. The weather is nice, like a summer day in my home town, not too hot.

yoite
Mar 19th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Mona's new reports from her website:

When did she sign the sponsor? And which sponsor did she sign?

joy division
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:12 AM

On her homepage she has listed some sponsors but I`m not sure whether she updated this site.;)
http://mona-barthel.de/sponsoren.html

I don`t know whether Denise Cronwall is contracting athletes at all. But as far as I know she hasn`t yet a contract. I guess it could be on the way.

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Mona is wearing Denise Cronwall (name of the brand) since the second half of last season. I don't know for sure if they signed an agreement but i suspect that it's quite likely because Mona is officially the WTA representative of this brand.

I think they suit each other very well, special clothes for a special player. I am happy that Mona doesn't wear this boring stuff from Adidas and Nike.

yoite
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I am happy that Mona doesn't wear this boring stuff from Adidas and Nike.

I couldn't agree more. The Nike lacks creativity.

Raiden
Mar 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Heresy! Analyze your game? No don't do that. According to one of your fans on TF, that would be akin to dissing yourself. Since you're a good player, obviously there's nothing in your game that can be improved. :devil:Dear Mona,

Pov is misrepresenting my reply to him the other day. I do believe you can improve your serve. But at the same time, I hope you don't mind it being appraised as an already most amazing thing to behold on the tour.

Best wishes & regards.

RichardJule
Mar 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=%E5%B7%B4%E7%91%9F%E5%B0%94
That is the address.

嘻嘻,你是气象局局长???:D

crazillo
Mar 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Her name is "萌娜 巴瑟尔" in China. Someone translated it as "莫娜 布汀娜".While the first one is the official one and most of Chinese fan call her "萌娜" because it sounds very lovely.
By the way, connect me with English is just ok:)

Funny, I don't think this translation sounds a lot like her German name at all. But maybe that's because you hear most people pronounce her name wrong in English, too.
谢谢你的翻译。

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mona declared on her website her willingness to play Fed Cup in April:

19.3. I would like to give you some information about the next Fed Cup tie in April. I just had a very nice conversation with Barbara Rittner and I would be very happy to be part of the upcoming Fed Cup. I will put a gap in my tournament schedule so that I am available. But now I'm concentrating on my next match in Miami, that I will play on Thursday.

Setsuna.
Mar 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Great news! :bounce:

matthias
Mar 19th, 2013, 08:57 PM

:cheer: Good decision

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:06 PM
:cheer: Good decision

Yes, but nonetheless i fear that all those pointless speculations in the german Fed Cup thread won't come to an end. :help:

matthias
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, but nonetheless i fear that all those pointless speculations in the german Fed Cup thread won't come to an end. :help:

i tried to defend her, but some people there are :weirdo:

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM
i tried to defend her, but some people there are :weirdo:

:yeah:

Setsuna.
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Glad that I don't speak/know German then. :lol:

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Glad that I don't speak/know German then. :lol:

Yes, and don't decide to learn it. Just right now the speculation is reaching a new high there. :D

King Halep
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mona is wearing Denise Cronwall (name of the brand) since the second half of last season. I don't know for sure if they signed an agreement but i suspect that it's quite likely because Mona is officially the WTA representative of this brand.

I think they suit each other very well, special clothes for a special player. I am happy that Mona doesn't wear this boring stuff from Adidas and Nike.

She said in offseason she was making her own clothes to wear in matches

King Halep
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I couldn't agree more. The Nike lacks creativity.

All those one color outfits are incredibly dull.

King Halep
Mar 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Looks like Rittner suddenly developed some perspective

I like the way Mona calls her "Rittner"

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM
She said in offseason she was making her own clothes to wear in matches

She sewed two dresses during the offseason which she was wearing in particular matches like in the Hobart final. But mainly she has been wearing Denise Cronwall. It seems they have come to an agreement since Mona is now the WTA representative for this brand.

By the way, Mona learnt sewing from her grandma who was a tailor.

Setsuna.
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Denise Cronwall's designs are much better than Nike's & Adidas's designs combined. Glad that Mona still wearing Denise Cronwall's dresses. I really like them.

King Halep
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Denise Cronwall makes the shortest skirts

heavyhorse
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Denise Cronwall makes the shortest skirts

I agree. I don't like it.

Setsuna.
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Camila is wearing her designs too!

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Top-and-skirt-Camila-Giorgi.jpg

Tecumseh
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Denise Cronwall's designs are much better than Nike's & Adidas's designs combined. Glad that Mona still wearing Denise Cronwall's dresses. I really like them.

These dresses are really special IMO and Mona seems to be become the top seller of this new brand.

heavyhorse
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Yeah I remember she was wearing her outfits at Wimbledon last year. This one looked great on her:

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/empics/20120702/19/1025162929-02072012194323.jpg

I remember the commentators were drooling over it:lol:

Setsuna.
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
These dresses are really special IMO and Mona seems to be become the top seller of this new brand.

So true. :yeah:

King Halep
Mar 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I agree. I don't like it.

:haha::haha::haha:

Camila is wearing her designs too!

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Top-and-skirt-Camila-Giorgi.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/21domli.gif

matthias
Mar 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Yeah I remember she was wearing her outfits at Wimbledon last year. This one looked great on her:

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/empics/20120702/19/1025162929-02072012194323.jpg

I remember the commentators were drooling over it:lol:

Snow covered Xmas tree?

Tecumseh
Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
This is what Mona wrote on her website about her loss:

22.3.: Today I lost to Rybarikova. I could have done better, but I didn't took my chances, especially in the second set, didn't made the set points. The whole match I was looking for my rhythm.

That sounds like an offday.

Schnffy
Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Andrea about Mona: :worship:

I love how Mona Barthel is playing. She's amazing with so much talent. She is so smooth she hits the ball likes she's going through butter. I always love to watch her when she's on fire. She has one of the fastest backhands down the line I've seen in my life. She came up when I was injured, and I don't know her as well but we practiced here together.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/03/22/andrea-petkovic-sony-open-diary/2009671/

Setsuna.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Andrea. :worship:

Setsuna.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
I will put that in my sig.

Tecumseh
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
Really nice words from Andrea! :hatoff:

I am sure she would make a very good Fed Cup captain. :D

Setsuna.
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM
Really nice words from Andrea! :hatoff:

I am sure she would make a very good Fed Cup captain. :D

Agree. She is the smartest German player imo and one of the smartest players on the tour. I feel Mona is very smart too so maybe she is as smart as Andrea. :smoke: :p

Tecumseh
Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
Agree. She is the smartest German player imo and one of the smartest players on the tour. I feel Mona is very smart too so maybe she is as smart as Andrea. :smoke: :p

Two smart and nice players but with opposite personalities. I am sure they are well-suited to each other as they should complement each other very well.

Tecumseh
Mar 31st, 2013, 10:03 AM

30.3.: I am the 8th seeded in this tournament. That means, that I will have a bye in the first round and I will have to face the winner of Muguruza against qualifier. The weather is nice here.

joy division
Mar 31st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Her "reports" remind me at times of the earlier holiday postcards of my children.:D

tennisfreak13
Apr 1st, 2013, 01:10 AM
Mona Barthel: "voy a tener un gran año" (http://www.puntodebreak.com/2013/03/31/mona-barthel-voy-tener-un-gran-ano-0)

Wonderwall
Apr 1st, 2013, 01:34 AM
Good article :)

The most important thing is to achieve greater regularity and consistency in my game.

pov
Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:42 PM
Does she speak Spanish?

Tecumseh
Apr 10th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Mona got nominated for the Fed Cup tie against Serbia.

From bild.de (translated by Google):

Fed Cup team with the strongest squad

At full strength, the German Fed Cup team will play the relegation match against Serbia. For the duel in Stuttgart on 20 and 21 April at one of the eight spots in the tennis world group 1 head coach Barbara Rittner nominated the world ranking sixth Angelique Kerber, Mona Barthel, Julia Goerges and Sabine Lisicki. At the 3-1 victory in France in early February Barthel had been missing for personal reasons. After a conversation between Barthel and Rittner the temporary irritations are eliminated. The Serbian squad will be led by the former world number one Ana Ivanovic.

Behind the following link you will find the complete nominations of Serbia and Germany:

http://www.fedcup.com/en/draws-results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100019091

Grininel
Apr 10th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Good news. She will have to play two rubbers.
Let's see how she deals with the pressure and responsibility.

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Mona should beat Bojana at least.

Tecumseh
Apr 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM
^ Although Mona got nominated it is not quite sure yet that she will play singles behind Angie. But it's surely possible because of her convincing H2H against Ivanovic.

matthias
Apr 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mona should beat Bojana at least.

will she play singles for Serbia?

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 05:18 PM
will she play singles for Serbia?

I'm not sure but she is easily the 2nd best Serb in their team so I think she will play singles with Ana. IMO Mona should beat anyone of these 2 (Dolonc or Bojana) if she gets the chance to play singles.

Who will play doubles for Germany?

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 05:23 PM
^ Although Mona got nominated it is not quite sure yet that she will play singles behind Angie. But it's surely possible because of her convincing H2H against Ivanovic.

If Rittner doesn't pick her for singles, will Mona play doubles then? or she won't play at all? :unsure:
I remember Mona was in the team last year but Rittner didn't give her a chance to play any match. Hope this won't happen again.

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Mona shouldn't play doubles. The other 3 have way more experience than her in doubles. I'm pretty sure that Mona will play one singles match at least. Rittner should be fired if she doesn't let her play 1 singles match at least.

matthias
Apr 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure but she is easily the 2nd best Serb in their team so I think she will play singles with Ana. IMO Mona should beat anyone of these 2 (Dolonc or Bojana) if she gets the chance to play singles.

Who will play doubles for Germany?

did i miss something, is Serbia not playing with Lady JaJa and Ajde?

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
did i miss something, is Serbia not playing with Lady JaJa and Ajde?

Jankovic won't play.
http://www.fedcup.com/en/draws-results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100019091

matthias
Apr 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM
cool - then Germany has a real chance
Rittner should nominate Mona for sure

Tecumseh
Apr 10th, 2013, 06:17 PM
If Rittner doesn't pick her for singles, will Mona play doubles then? or she won't play at all? :unsure:
I remember Mona was in the team last year but Rittner didn't give her a chance to play any match. Hope this won't happen again.

Mona was not in the team last year, she was only a practise partner for the nominated players. At that time it was a mistake in my opinion because Julia was a bit sick and Andrea just came back from injury and additionally Mona was in a very good form.

Now it's different, i think. Mona has been in a very bad form recently and on your fed cup debut in a decisive tie you need a lot of confidence, especially a player like Mona. On the other hand Goerges and Lisicki are out of form, too. So it really is a difficult decision for Rittner.

But i am expecting that Rittner will nominate Mona because of her H2H against Ivanovic. From all the four nominated players Mona has the biggest chance to beat Ana and Team Germany needs one win against Ivanovic. I can't see Angie winning against her given her current form and because of a bad matchup but i think she will be good enough to beat Jovanovski.

I am still not sure if it is the right time for Mona to make a debut in fed cup but since the remaining options are in a bad condition as well it seems to be unavoidable.

Setsuna.
Apr 10th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I am still not sure if it is the right time for Mona to make a debut in fed cup but since the remaining options are in a bad condition as well it seems to be unavoidable.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Tecumseh
Apr 11th, 2013, 03:19 PM

After the long U.S. tournament trip, I finally arrived at home. Of course I was very happy, when I got the news from Barbara Rittner, that I am part of the Fedcup team. I can not wait to be there. I've been practicing very well the last few days, physically I am doing very well, too. The back problems that I had in Miami and Charleston, (which occurred for the first time in Doha,) have now been eliminated.

I wasn't aware of her back problems. :unsure:

Schnffy
Apr 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Of course I was very happy, when I got the news from Barbara Rittner, that I am part of the Fedcup team. I can not wait to be there.

:)

I've been practicing very well the last few days, physically I am doing very well, too.

The back problems that I had in Miami and Charleston, (which occurred for the first time in Doha,) have now been eliminated.

hopefully they won't come back... :unsure:

pov
Apr 12th, 2013, 04:44 PM

I wasn't aware of her back problems. :unsure:

Nor was I. That sucks! It does explain her emotional reactions recently - the frustration and worry must have become overwhelming. Good that she's all healed up.

sortof
Apr 14th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I wasn't aware of her back problems.

Nor was anyone else it seems. Barthel cancelled Dubai due to a knee injury, back problems were never mentioned.

mk27
Apr 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Her schedule till Wimbledon

Fed Cup
Stuttgart
Week off
Madrid
Rome
Week off
Roland Garros
Roland Garros
Week off
Eastbourne
Wimbledon
Wimbledon

Tecumseh
Apr 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I think it's good that Mona takes a week off before and after Roland Garros.

Wonderwall
Apr 16th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Her schedule till Wimbledon

Fed Cup
Stuttgart
Week off
Madrid
Rome
Week off
Roland Garros
Roland Garros
Week off
Eastbourne
Wimbledon
Wimbledon

Are you sure she's not playing Birmingham?

mk27
Apr 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Are you sure she's not playing Birmingham?

It's not listed here

http://www.mona-barthel.de/en/ergebnisse2013en.html

CillyUltra
Apr 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
She's gonna take a week off after RG instead of playing in Nuremberg? :eek: Shows once again how ridiculous the Nuremberg scheduling is.

KatjaS
Apr 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Well if you want to be successful in Wimbledon it's better to get used to grass as quickly as possible. I'd prefer it if she played on grass the week after the FO and then took a week off to prepare early in Wimbledon.

Wonderwall
Apr 16th, 2013, 02:06 PM
It's not listed here

http://www.mona-barthel.de/en/ergebnisse2013en.html

OK thanks :)

Birmingham was in her plans. She must have changed her mind.

Schnffy
Apr 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/hamburg/article115312786/Ich-kann-meinen-Traum-leben.html

"Ich kann meinen Traum leben"

Mona Barthel spricht vor ihrer Fedcup-Premiere über ihre Karriere, Steffi Graf und Akne Von Björn Jensen

Ein Jahr ist es her, da stand Mona Barthel zum ersten Mal im Fedcup-Kader. Doch vor der Partie gegen Australien, die die deutschen Tennisdamen verloren und damit aus der Weltgruppe abstiegen, war die 22-Jährige nur Trainingspartnerin. In dieser Woche zählt Barthel, geboren in Bad Segeberg und wohnhaft in Neumünster, erstmals zu den vier deutschen Tennisassen, die in Stuttgart gegen Serbien am Wochenende den Wiederaufstieg schaffen sollen.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Barthel, Sie dürfen endlich Ihre Fedcup-Premiere feiern. Sie sind aktuell die deutsche Nummer zwei hinter Angelique Kerber. Rechnen Sie also damit, für das Einzel nominiert zu werden, zumal Julia Görges aus Krankheitsgründen abgesagt hat?

Natürlich nicht. Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn ich spielen dürfte. Aber darüber werden die Eindrücke der Trainingswoche entscheiden. Ich bin sehr froh, dass ich dabei sein darf. Für mich ist das eine tolle Erfahrung, ob ich nun spiele oder nicht.

Ihre Entwicklung verlief rasant in den vergangenen 15 Monaten. 2012 spielten Sie Ihr erstes komplettes Jahr auf der WTA-Tour und gewannen sofort das Turnier im australischen Hobart. War das der Moment, in dem Sie spürten, dass Sie angekommen sind im Profitennis?

Ob es diesen einen Moment gab, erinnere ich gar nicht. In Hobart zu gewinnen war natürlich toll, aber damals kannten mich viele Gegnerinnen noch nicht, da hatte ich vielleicht das Überraschungsmoment auf meiner Seite. Deshalb glaube ich, dass der Sieg in Paris bei einem viel höher dotierten Turnier der Schritt war, mit dem ich gezeigt habe, dass ich dazugehöre.

In den Regionen, in denen Sie jetzt spielen, sind die Schritte nach vorn naturgemäß kleiner. Haben Sie die Geduld dafür, auch mal damit zufrieden zu sein, eine Position zu halten anstatt zu verbessern?

Auf jeden Fall. Ich mache mir immer wieder klar, wie viel Glück ich habe, das Talent zu besitzen, um meinen Traum leben zu können. Ich habe als kleines Mädchen davon geträumt, Tennisprofi zu werden. Steffi Graf war mein Idol. Im Großen und Ganzen bin ich auf dem richtigen Weg, denke ich. Ich spüre, dass das, was ich tue, das absolut Richtige für mich ist.

Als Sie in Paris gewannen, haben viele Kolleginnen per Twitter gratuliert, Sie damit aber nicht erreicht, weil Sie im Gegensatz zu den meisten anderen Spielerinnen nicht twittern und auch nicht bei Facebook sind. Warum scheuen Sie soziale Netzwerke?

Es ist nicht so, dass ich sie scheue. Ich betreibe seit Jahren meine eigene Homepage im Internet. Meine Mutter war Informatiklehrerin, ich hatte das Fach in der Schule, und da haben wir vor Jahren angefangen, meine Seite zu bauen. Bis heute machen wir alles allein, ich schreibe die Texte komplett selbst. Im Moment finde ich, dass ich Facebook und Twitter nicht brauche, weil ich mich nur wiederholen würde.

Oder könnte es sein, dass Ihnen die Bösartigkeit dieser Netzwerke zusetzt? Immerhin wird dort Ihre Akne oft thematisiert.

Nein, das denke ich nicht. Ich bin zufrieden mit mir selbst. Aber natürlich gibt es Menschen, die über einen lästern. Das gehört dazu, ganz besonders, wenn man in der Öffentlichkeit steht. Das finde ich nicht schlimm. Ich denke, dass Lästereien viel mehr über die Person aussagen, die lästert, als über mich. Das Wichtigste ist, dass man Familie und Freunde hat, die einen auffangen, und die habe ich. Außerdem ist der Traum, Tennisprofi zu sein, viel größer als die Angst vor Lästereien. Ich möchte weiter mein Spiel verbessern. Das ist mein großes Ziel.

Maybe someone can translate it. :p

Tecumseh
Apr 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Schnffy!

You will below find a longer version of this interview which was published on abendblatt.de. I will post a translation later.

Tennisprofi Mona Barthel: "Ich lebe meinen Traum"

Die 22-Jährige aus Bad Segeberg gehört zum Aufgebot der deutschen Damen in Stuttgart gegen Serbien. Im Interview spricht sie über ihr Idol, Teamgeist und Lästereien.

Hamburg. Ein Jahr ist es her, da stand Mona Barthel zum ersten Mal im Fedcup-Kader. Doch vor der Partie gegen Australien, die die deutschen Tennisdamen verloren und damit aus der Weltgruppe abstiegen, war die 22-Jährige nur Trainingspartnerin. In dieser Woche zählt Barthel, geboren in Bad Segeberg und wohnhaft in Neumünster, erstmals zu den vier deutschen Tennisassen, die in Stuttgart gegen Serbien am Wochenende den Wiederaufstieg schaffen sollen.

Hamburger Abendblatt: Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Frau Barthel, Sie dürfen endlich Ihre Fedcup-Premiere feiern. Sie sind aktuell die deutsche Nummer zwei hinter Angelique Kerber. Rechnen Sie also damit, für das Einzel nominiert zu werden?

Mona Barthel: Natürlich nicht. Ich würde mich sehr freuen, wenn ich spielen dürfte. Aber darüber werden die Eindrücke der Trainingswoche entscheiden. Ich bin sehr froh, dass ich dabei sein darf. Für mich ist das eine tolle Erfahrung, ob ich nun spiele oder nicht.

Diese Erfahrung hätten Sie schon im Februar haben können. Doch da sagten Sie für die Erstrundenpartie gegen Frankreich ab, weil diese nicht in Ihren Turnierplan passte. Warum passt es jetzt?

Barthel: Das ist etwas durcheinander gebracht worden. Ich habe aus persönlichen Gründen abgesagt, die ich nicht näher erläutern möchte. Es war eine schwierige Entscheidung, zumal ich kurz vor der Partie das Turnier in Paris gewonnen hatte und in guter Form war. Deshalb wurde meine Absage in der Öffentlichkeit auch so hoch gehängt.

Waren Sie überrascht von dem negativen Echo, und hatten Sie gefürchtet, dass Teamchefin Barbara Rittner Sie deshalb erst einmal links liegen lassen würde?

Barthel: Nein, es war ja keine Entscheidung gegen das Team. Im Gegenteil: Ich liebe es, im Team zu spielen, diese besondere Atmosphäre zu spüren und eine Gruppe hinter mir zu haben, die mich unterstützt. Barbara will immer mit dem bestmöglichen Team antreten. Ich bin in guter Form und denke, dass ich helfen kann. Deshalb denke ich, dass sie froh ist, mich dabeizuhaben. Und ich bin froh, dass ich eine Option bin.

Tennisspieler sind Einzelkämpfer. Wie schwer fällt es da, auf einmal in den Team-Modus umzuschalten und sich auch mal unterzuordnen?

Barthel: Mir fällt das gar nicht schwer. Gerade weil wir das ganze Jahr allein antreten, liebe ich die Abwechslung, die ein Teamwettbewerb bringt. Ich habe auch immer gern Bundesliga gespielt.

Das Fedcup-Team macht seit Jahren einen sehr homogenen Eindruck. Ist es schwierig, sich als Neue in eine solche Einheit zu integrieren?

Barthel: Ich würde nicht sagen, dass ich ein Neuling bin. Wir sehen uns ständig auf Turnieren und verstehen uns alle sehr gut untereinander.

Man mag es kaum glauben, dass es so einfach möglich ist, mit Menschen, mit denen man das Jahr über konkurriert, plötzlich ein funktionierendes Miteinander zu bilden.

Barthel: Warum nicht? So ein Team strahlt doch Stärke aus, von der jeder profitieren kann. Die Konkurrenz ist eine schöne Situation. Wir haben derzeit in Deutschland eine solche Fülle an guten Spielerinnen, dass wir sogar einen Ausfall von einer Topkraft wie Andrea Petkovic verkraften können. Das ist doch allerhöchstens ein Luxusproblem. Und wir haben noch so viel mehr Spielerinnen, die fürs Team infrage kommen.

Setzt Sie das nicht unter Druck? Ärgern Sie sich manchmal, dass Sie nicht in einer Zeit Tennis spielen, in der Sie mit Ihrer Leistung die klare Nummer eins wären?

Barthel: Über so etwas denke ich nicht nach. Es ist mir egal, dass ich vor fünf Jahren vielleicht die beste Deutsche gewesen wäre, denn das ist hypothetisch. Ich freue mich sehr über die Erfolge der anderen Deutschen, für mich ist das eine Motivation. Andererseits versuche ich mich nie mit anderen zu vergleichen, sondern immer nur mit der Spielerin, die ich mal war. Ich schaue nur auf meine Entwicklung und nicht auf den Ranglistenplatz.

Ihre Entwicklung verlief rasant in den vergangenen 15 Monaten. 2012 spielten Sie Ihr erstes komplettes Jahr auf der WTA-Tour und gewannen sofort das Turnier im australischen Hobart. War das der Moment, in dem Sie spürten, dass Sie angekommen sind im Profitennis?

Barthel: Ob es diesen einen Moment gab, erinnere ich gar nicht. In Hobart zu gewinnen war natürlich toll, aber damals kannten mich viele Gegnerinnen noch gar nicht, da hatte ich vielleicht das Überraschungsmoment auf meiner Seite. Deshalb glaube ich, dass der Sieg in Paris in diesem Jahr, bei einem viel höher dotierten Turnier, der Schritt war, mit dem ich gezeigt habe, dass ich dazugehöre. Zu beweisen, dass ich mit den Besten der Welt mithalten kann, war eine Bestätigung dafür, dass ich mich für das Richtige entschieden habe. Ich hatte Anfang dieses Jahres viele Punkte zu verlieren, weil ich Anfang 2012 so stark gespielt hatte. Trotzdem habe ich meine Leistung noch einmal getoppt. Das zeigt mir, dass das Potenzial da ist, mich weiter zu verbessern.

Sie sagten, Sie vergleichen sich nur mit der Spielerin, die Sie waren. Wie haben Sie sich also sportlich und menschlich verändert in den vergangenen Monaten?

Barthel: Sportlich habe ich unheimlich viel gelernt. Vor allem habe ich mehr Routine, und das gibt mir die Ruhe, in schwierigen Momenten konzentriert und gelassen zu bleiben, weil ich weiß, was kommen kann. Menschlich habe ich mich nicht verändert. Ich bin genauso motiviert wie früher, mich zu verbessern. Ich bin in Regionen vorgestoßen, von denen ich früher nur geträumt habe. Aber jetzt will ich mehr.

In den Regionen, in denen Sie jetzt spielen, sind die Schritte nach vorn naturgemäß kleiner. Haben Sie die Geduld dafür, auch mal damit zufrieden zu sein, eine Position zu halten anstatt zu verbessern?

Barthel: Auf jeden Fall. Ich mache mir immer wieder klar, wie viel Glück ich habe, das Talent zu besitzen, um meinen Traum leben zu können. Ich habe als kleines Mädchen davon geträumt, Tennisprofi zu werden. Steffi Graf war mein Idol, ich wollte das tun, was sie tat. Im Großen und Ganzen bin ich auf dem richtigen Weg, denke ich.

Sie haben allerdings Ihr Abitur gemacht, um einen Plan B in der Tasche zu haben. Haben Sie manchmal daran gezweifelt, ob Tennis der richtige Weg ist?

Barthel: Es war mir sehr wichtig, mein Abitur zu machen, weil mir dadurch Türen offen stehen, wenn die Karriere aus irgendeinem Grund plötzlich vorbei sein sollte. Aber im Moment spüre ich, dass das, was ich tue, das absolut Richtige für mich ist.

Ihr Vater war Europameister im Kugelstoßen, Ihre Mutter hat Sport studiert. War es bei solch sportlichen Eltern vorgezeichnet, dass Sie ebenfalls ein Leben im Leistungssport führen würden?

Barthel: Überhaupt nicht, meine Eltern haben es meiner Schwester und mir immer offen gelassen, was wir machen wollten. Sie fragen mich heute noch manchmal, ob ich mich wohl fühle mit dem Tennis. Aber sie waren sicherlich froh, dass ich immer gern Sport gemacht habe. Das ist ja auch ein Lebensgefühl, eine Lebenseinstellung.

Ist es für einen jungen Erwachsenen gut, wenn die Mutter ständiger Begleiter ist wie bei Ihnen?

Barthel: Ich finde es schön, jemanden aus der Familie bei mir zu haben, wenn ich auf Reisen bin. Immerhin reise ich zehn Monate im Jahr. Es ist sicherlich nicht Mutters Traum, sie wäre viel lieber Lehrerin geblieben. Aber durch ihre Frühpensionierung hat es sich so entwickelt, und es ist meine Entscheidung, dass sie immer dabei ist. Meine Eltern sind mit Sicherheit nicht die Tenniseltern, die man aus dem Klischee kennt.

Graut Ihnen schon vor dem Tag, an dem Sie sich abnabeln werden?

Barthel: Überhaupt nicht, wir nehmen uns ja heute schon unsere Freiräume, ich lebe mein eigenes Leben. Aber im Moment hilft mir meine Mutter sehr bei vielen Dingen, zu denen ich gar nicht kommen würde.

Als Sie in Paris gewannen, haben viele Kolleginnen per Twitter gratuliert, Sie damit aber nicht erreicht, weil Sie im Gegensatz zu den meisten anderen deutschen Spielerinnen nicht twittern und auch nicht bei Facebook sind. Warum scheuen Sie soziale Netzwerke?

Barthel: Es ist nicht so, dass ich sie scheue. Ich betreibe seit Jahren meine eigene Homepage im Internet. Meine Mutter war Informatiklehrerin, ich hatte das Fach in der Schule, und da haben wir vor Jahren angefangen, meine Seite zu bauen. Bis heute machen wir alles allein, ich schreibe die Texte komplett selbst. Im Moment finde ich, dass ich Facebook und Twitter nicht brauche, weil ich mich nur wiederholen würde.

Könnte es sein, dass Ihnen die Bösartigkeit dieser Netzwerke zusetzt? Immerhin wird dort Ihre Akne oft thematisiert.

Barthel: Nein, das denke ich nicht. Ich bin zufrieden mit mir selbst. Aber natürlich gibt es Menschen, die über einen lästern. Das gehört dazu, ganz besonders, wenn man in der Öffentlichkeit steht. Das finde ich nicht schlimm. Ich denke, dass Lästereien viel mehr über die Person aussagen, die lästert, als über mich. Das Wichtigste ist, dass man Familie und Freunde hat, die einen auffangen, und die habe ich. Außerdem ist der Traum, Tennisprofi zu sein, viel größer als die Angst vor Lästereien.

Dann verraten Sie uns zum Abschluss, was Sie glücklich machen würde, wenn Sie sich am Jahresende mit der Mona Barthel vergleichen, die Sie heute sind.

Barthel: Ich möchte mein Spiel verbessern, eine höhere Konstanz in den ersten Aufschlag kriegen und mit dem zweiten Aufschlag gefährlicher sein.

Tecumseh
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Here is the translation of Mona's interview with abendblatt.de. I have improved the google translation so that it should be more understandable.

Tennis pro Mona Barthel: "I'm living my dream"

The 22-year-old from Bad Segeberg will belong to the German team in Stuttgart against Serbia. In the interview she talks about her idol, team spirit and insults.

Hamburg. A year has passed since Mona Barthel joined the Fed Cup squad for the first time. But before the match against Australia, which the German tennis ladies lost and thus descended from the world group, the 22-year-old was only training partner. This week Barthel, born in Bad Segeberg and residing in Neumünster, will be for the first time part of the four German tennis aces who want to pull off the reemergence against Serbia in Stuttgart.

Hamburger Abendblatt: Congratulations, Mrs. Barthel, you can finally celebrate your Fed Cup debut. You are currently the german number two behind Angelique Kerber. Do you expect to be nominated for the singles?

Mona Barthel: Of course not. I would be very happy if I could play. But the impressions of the training week will be decisive. I am very glad that I am allowed to be there. For me it is a great experience, no matter if I will play or not.

This experience you already could have had back in February. But you cancelled the first round encounter against France because it did not fit into your tournament schedule. Why does it fit now?

Barthel: It has been a bit messed up. I cancelled for personal reasons that I do not want to explain. It was a difficult decision, especially because I had won the tournament in Paris just before the encounter and I was in a good shape. And that’s why my refusal was discussed so much in public.

Were you surprised by the negative response, and were you afraid that head coach Barbara Rittner therefor wouldn’t nominate you for some time?

Barthel: No, it was not a decision against the team. On the contrary, I love to play in the team in order to feel this special atmosphere and a group behind me, supporting me. Barbara always wants to compete with the best possible team. I'm in a good shape and I think that I can help. So I think that she is glad to have me in her team. And I'm glad that I am an option.

Tennis players are lonesome wolves. How difficult is it to suddenly switch into team mode at one time and subordinate oneself?

Barthel: That’s not hard for me at all. Because we are all year alone, I love the variety that brings a team competition. I have always enjoyed playing Bundesliga.

The Fed Cup team gives a very homogeneous impression for years. Is it difficult to get integrated into the team as a new member?

Barthel: I would not say that I am a newbie. We constantly see each other at tournaments and we all get along very well with each other.

It is hard to believe that it is so easy to create a good working cooperation with people with whom you compete throughout the year.

Barthel: Why not? Such a team creates strength, which can be beneficial for each member. Competition is a beautiful situation. We currently have such an overflow of good players in Germany that we can even cope with the absence of a top player like Andrea Petkovic. It's at most a luxury problem. And we have so many more players that come into question for the team.

Doesn’t it set you under pressure? Does it annoy you sometimes, that you do not play tennis at a time at which you were the number one with your performance?

Barthel: More than anything I think not. I do not care that five years ago I might have been the best German, because it is hypothetical. I am very excited about the success of the other Germans, for me it is a motivation. On the other hand I never try to compare myself with others, but always with the player who I once was. I just look at my development and not on my ranking.

Your development was rapid in the past 15 months. 2012 You played your first full year on the WTA Tour and won the tournament of Hobart at the beginning of the year. Was this the moment when you felt that you've arrived in professional tennis?

Barthel: Whether this was a moment I do not even remember. To win in Hobart was great of course, but at that time many opponents did not know me well so I had perhaps the element of surprise on my side. Therefore, I believe that the victory in Paris this year, at a much higher prized tournament, was the step, with whom I have shown that I belong. To prove that I can compete with the best in the world, was a confirmation that I made the right decision. I had to defend a lot of points early this year, because I had played strongly in the beginning of 2012. Nevertheless, I bettered my performance again. That indicates to me that the potential is there to improve myself further.

You said you compare only with the player who you were. How have you changed with regard to athletic and personal aspects in the past months?

Barthel: With regard to my sport I have learned a lot. Above all I have more routine, and that gives me peace of mind to stay focused and calm in difficult moments, because I know what may come. Personally I have not changed. I'm motivated as ever to improve myself. I ventured into regions, of which I have previously only dreamed about. But now I want more.

In the regions in which you are playing now, the steps forward are naturally smaller. Are you patient enough to stay satisfied even if you are only able to hold your position for some time?

Barthel: Yes, of course. I'm always aware of how much luck I have to have the talent to be able to live my dream. As a little girl I was dreaming of becoming a professional tennis player. Steffi Graf was my idol, I wanted to do what she did. On the whole, I am on the right track, I think.

However, you have made your high school to have a plan B in your pocket. Did you sometimes doubt whether tennis is the right way?

Barthel: It was very important for me to make my high school, because as a result the doors are open in case the career suddenly would be over for some reason. But at the moment I feel that what I'm doing is absolutely right for me.

Your father was a European champion in shot put, your mother has studied sports. Was it predestined with such sports parents that you would also live a life in professional sports?

Barthel: Not at all, my parents let it open for my sister and me what we wanted to do. Even today they ask me sometimes if I feel comfortable with tennis. But they were certainly glad that I've always liked to do sports. This is simply a way of life, an attitude to life.

Is it good for a young adult when the mother is a constant companion like in your case?

Barthel: I think it's nice to have someone from the family to be with me when I travel. After all, I travel ten months a year. It's certainly not my mother’s dream, she would much rather have remained a teacher. But due to her early retirement, it has evolved, and it is my decision that she is always with me. My parents are certainly not the tennis parents, we all know from the cliché.

Do you fear the day when you will be cutting the umbilical cord?

Barthel: Not at all, we already take our freedom today, I live my own life. But right now my mother is very helpful for many things for which I don’t have time.

When you won in Paris, many colleagues have congratulated you on Twitter but they did not reach you because in contrast to most other German players you do not communicate via Facebook or Twitter. Why are you afraid of social networks?

Barthel: It's nothing that I am afraid of. I run my own website for years on the Internet. My mother was a computer science teacher, I had the subject in school, and that’s why we started to create the site some years ago. Up to this day, we do it all alone, I write the lyrics myself completely. At the moment I think that I do not need Facebook and Twitter because I would only repeat myself.

Could it be that you are worrying the viciousness of these networks? After all, your acne is often discussed there.

Barthel: No, I don’t think so. I'm happy with myself, but of course there are people who gossip about you. That's part of your life, especially when you are standing in public. I don’t find it that badly. I think that these insults are saying more about the person who insults than about me. The important thing is that you have family and friends who are able to help you, and I have. In addition, the dream of being a professional tennis player is much greater than the fear of insults.

Finally please tell us what would make you happy, when you compare yourself at the end of the year with the Mona Barthel of today.

Barthel: I want to improve my game, get higher consistency in my first serve and I want my second serve to be more dangerous.

Setsuna.
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Heiko, you are awesome. Thank you.

Setsuna.
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Could it be that you are worrying the viciousness of these networks? After all, your acne is often discussed there.

Barthel: No, I don’t think so. I'm happy with myself, but of course there are people who gossip about you. That's part of your life, especially when you are standing in public. I don’t find it that badly. I think that these insults are saying more about the person who insults than about me. The important thing is that you have family and friends who are able to help you, and I have. In addition, the dream of being a professional tennis player is much greater than the fear of insults.

Was it necessary to ask this question? :facepalm:

Setsuna.
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Anyway, it was a good interview. Perfect answers from Mona.

Tecumseh
Apr 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Was it necessary to ask this question? :facepalm:

I don't think that this was necessary but at least we do know now how well Mona handles this issue. She gave the perfect answer in my opinion.

yoite
Apr 17th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Here is the translation of Mona's interview with abendblatt.de. I have improved the google translation so that it should be more understandable.

Thank you! Then I will translate it into Chinese for the Chinese fans in the Chinese forum.:D

Tecumseh
Apr 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Thank you! Then I will translate it into Chinese for the Chinese fans in the Chinese forum.:D

Does Mona have a lot of fans in China?

yoite
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Does Mona have a lot of fans in China?

Actually not a lot. You know almost all the Chinese fans are focus on Li Na. Compared with the quantity of Li's fans, the quantity of Mona's is smaller. But there are also more then 100 fans of Mona in our forum.:p

Tecumseh
Apr 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Actually not a lot. You know almost all the Chinese fans are focus on Li Na. Compared with the quantity of Li's fans, the quantity of Mona's is smaller. But there are also more then 100 fans of Mona in our forum.:p

I think that's quite a lot. It's good to see that Mona has some international fanbase.

joy division
Apr 17th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks a lot for the interview and doing the translation job, Heiko.

The authenticity of interviews of course is always questionable.
But Mona is doing remarkably well here and is showing once again that she is not just very nice and confident but also a pretty smart person.
As Heiko said her answer in the Akne question was "perfect".
And also the way she curved around the Facebook/twitter issue shows it.
After all Mona seems to be fine and that`s great news.:)

Schnffy
Apr 18th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Mona in the fed cup live-chat:

17.04.2013 12:38
Jeffrey Carbillet: @Mona What does it mean for you to be part of the Fed cup team and to play for your country ?

17.04.2013 19:04
Mona Barthel: It\'s a great honour for me to be part of the Fed Cup Team...I\'m really excited to have such a fun week with the girls!!!

Tecumseh
Apr 18th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Von Ulrike Weinrich | SID

Fed Cup - Mona Barthel: Die etwas Andere

Mona Barthel hat ihren eigenen Kopf. Das war schon früher so, als sie auf die Frage nach ihrem Namen wie selbstverständlich antwortete: "Steffi Graf". Das ist zwar fast zwei Jahrzehnte her, aber sie sticht auch heute noch aus der Masse der Spielerinnen auf der Tour hervor. Mona Barthel, die im Relegationsspiel gegen Serbien in Stuttgart wohl als zweite Einzelspielerin antreten wird, tickt anders.

Was nicht immer von Vorteil ist. Als die 22-Jährige im Februar überraschend das hochkarätig besetzte Hallenturnier in Paris gewann, gab es im sozialen Netzwerk viele Glückwunsche für die große Blonde aus Neumünster.

Der Haken: Barthel ist weder bei Twitter noch bei Facebook angemeldet. Anders als der Rest des Fed-Cup-Teams um die Nummer eins Angelique Kerber, der sämtliche Plattformen nutzt, um die Fans am Alltag teilhaben zu lassen.

Barthel ist stolz darauf, dass sie zum Beispiel ihre Tennis-Kleider zum Teil selbst näht. Kreativität ist ihr wichtig, sie macht eben lieber ihr eigenes Ding. Mainstream? Nicht ihre Sache. Das wird auch in den Tagen von Stuttgart deutlich. Wenn sich Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Sabine Lisicki, Anna-Lena Grönefeld und Teamchefin Barbara Rittner scherzhaft necken, hält sich die introvertierte Barthel lieber im Hintergrund.

Was nicht heißt, dass sie die Gesellschaft der anderen nicht zu schätzen weiß - im Gegenteil: "Ich genieße es. Wir haben ein tolles Team und viel Spaß. Sonst ist man auf der Tour ja meist alleine unterwegs", sagte die Einser-Abiturientin (1,9) mit der unaufgeregten Stimme und fügte an: "Es ist ein Traum von mir, hier zu spielen."

Dieser Traum wird sich am Wochenende wohl erfüllen, denn hinter der Weltranglistensechsten Kerber ist Barthel als Nummer 28 des Rankings zweitbeste Deutsche. "Mona hat viel Potenzial. Ihre Rückhand ist super, ihre Reichweite wahnsinnig gut", lobte Rittner die 1,85 Meter große Rechtshänderin, die viele Experten als kommende Top-Ten-Spielerin sehen.

Im Ringen mit Lisicki um den zweiten Einzelplatz sprechen für Barthel ("Ich mag die Big Points") auch die Zahlen. Zweimal in diesem Jahr konnte sie bereits die serbische Nummer eins Ana Ivanovic bezwingen - die Bilanz gegen Bojana Jovanovski lautet 1:0.

Keine Ansprüche

Ansprüche will Barthel aber nicht stellen, nachdem sich die Wogen gerade erst wieder geglättet haben. Im Februar hatte sie ihre Teilnahme an der Play-off-Partie in Frankreich (3:1) aus persönlichen Gründen abgesagt. Was im ohnehin ersatzgeschwächten Team für Unverständnis sorgte. Nach einem Gespräch mit Rittner am Rande des Turniers in Miami vor ein paar Wochen zählt nur noch die Zukunft. "Der Fed Cup ist mit sehr wichtig. Ich könnte mir vorstellen, jetzt immer dabei zu sein", meinte Barthel.

Es passt ins Bild, dass die eigenwillige Frau mit dem blonden Zopf auf einen festen Trainer verzichtet - dafür mit ihrer Mutter Hannelore zu den Turnieren reist. Den Matchplan tüftelt die passionierte Mathematik-Liebhaberin ohnehin am liebsten selbst aus. "Das habe ich von klein auf gemacht. Das logische Denken mag ich", berichtete Barthel. Mittlerweile greift sie ab und an auf die Hilfe der Coaches Robert Orlik und Jacek Szygowsky zurück.

Die Chefin auf und abseits des Platzes bleibt aber Mona Barthel, die sich früher als "allergrößter Steffi-Graf-Fan" bezeichnete. Damals, als ihr die Mutter Schläger und Outfit der früheren Weltranglistenersten schenkte - in Originalgröße. Das Racket der damals Dreijährigen hatte bald eine große Delle, "weil ich es nur hinter mit herziehen konnte." Doch Klein-Mona zog. Schon damals hatte sie ihren eigenen Kopf.

Tecumseh
Apr 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM
And here is an improved google translation of the article.

Fed Cup - Mona Barthel: The somewhat Other

Mona Barthel has her own head. This has always been the case when she naturally responded to the question about her name: "Steffi Graf". Although this is almost two decades ago, she still stands out from the crowd of players on the tour. Mona Barthel, who will probably take part in the relegation match against Serbia in Stuttgart as the second singles player, thinks differently.

And this is not always to her advantage. When the 22-year-old surprisingly won the star-studded indoor tournament in Paris in February, there were many congratulations on the social network for the tall blonde from Neumünster.

The catch: Barthel is not signed in on Twitter or Facebook, deviating from the rest of the Fed Cup team around the number one Angelique Kerber, who uses all kind of platforms in order to let her fans participate on her everyday life.

Barthel is proud that she partially sews her tennis clothes herself. Creativity is very important to her; she just prefers to do her own thing. Mainstream? Not her business. This is evident even in the days of Stuttgart. When Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Sabine Lisicki and Anna-Lena Grönefeld jokingly tease team boss Barbara Rittner, the introverted Barthel prefers to stay on the sideline.

This does not mean that she does not appreciate the company of others - on the contrary: "I enjoy it. We have a great team and a lot of fun. Usually you are on the tour so often traveling alone," said the A grade high school graduate ( 1.9) with the unagitated voice and added: "It is a dream of mine to play here."

This dream will possibly come true this weekend, because behind the world number six Kerber, Barthel as the number 28 in the ranking is the second best German. "Mona has a lot of potential. Her backhand is great, her reach insanely good," Rittner praised the 1.85 meter right-hander, who many experts see as the next top ten player.

In competition with Lisicki for the second spot in singles the arguments for Barthel ("I like the big points") are the numbers. Twice within a year she could already beat the Serbian number one Ana Ivanovic - the balance against Bojana Jovanovski is 1-0 (in reality it is 2-1).

No claims

But Barthel doesn’t want to stake out a claim, after the dust has only just settled again. In February she had canceled her participation in the play-off game in France (3:1) for personal reasons what had caused some incomprehension within the injury-hit team. But after a conversation with Rittner during the tournament in Miami a few weeks ago it is only the future that counts from now on. "The Fed Cup is very important. I could imagine now to always be there," said Barthel.

It is quite fitting that the maverick woman with the blond ponytail forbears to travel with a permanent coach and instead travels with her mother Hannelore to the tournaments. To work out the match plan is something that the passionate lover of mathematics likes to do herself, anyway. "I've done that since my childhood. Logical thinking is something that I like," Barthel said. Meanwhile she resorts to the help of the coaches Robert Orlik and Jacek Szygowsky every now and then.

But the boss on and off the pitch remains Mona Barthel who previously described herself as the "greatest Steffi Graf fan." Back then when she got the racket and the outfit of the former world number one from her mother as a present, she got those in original size. The racket of the back then three-year-old soon had a big dent, "because I could just trail it behind." But Little Mona trailed. Even then she had her own head.

Raiden
Apr 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
^ A bit melodramatic. Some of the stuff the article tried to meta-analyze is pretty much down to Mona being the 'new kid on the block' (a rookie doesn't act the same way as an experienced routinier).

elba
Apr 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Von Ulrike Weinrich | Mona Barthel hat ihren eigenen Kopf. .

Minstream? Nicht ihre Sache. Das wird auch in den Tagen von Stuttgart deutlich. Wenn sich Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Sabine Lisicki, Anna-Lena Grönefeld und Teamchefin Barbara Rittner scherzhaft necken, hält sich die introvertierte Barthel lieber im Hintergrund.

Das alles ist klar, aber immerhin sehr schön in der Zeitung nachelesen zu können.:)

Tecumseh
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM

19.4.: Tomorrow I was chosen to play my first fedcup match against Ana Ivanovic. I am really proud to represent my country in this tournament. Last year I played really well in Stuttgart I hope, I'll do just the same tomorrow.

joy division
Apr 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Fed Cup - Barthel: "So nervös wie noch nie"

Mona Barthel war gegen Ana Ivanovic rein statistisch die bessere Spielerin und hat am Ende trotzdem das Auftaktmatch der Fed-Cup-Begegnung zwischen Deutschland und Serbien verloren. Für die zurückhaltende 22-Jährige war es eine schwierige Aufgabe bei ihrem Debüt in der Nationalmannschaft von Barbara Rittner. Die Nervosität und der große Druck waren ihr anzumerken - das gab Barthel auch selbst zu.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9955/99394616166251640360.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/99394616166251640360.jpg/)

Aufgezeichnet von Felix Mattis (Stuttgart)

Frau Barthel, mehr Punkte, mehr Asse, weniger Doppelfehler - Sie waren über die gesamte Distanz eigentlich die bessere Spielerin und haben trotzdem verloren. Warum?

Mona Barthel: Das war auf keinen Fall das beste Match, das ich je gemacht habe. Ich kann besser spielen, aber auf Grund dieser besonderen Situation im Fed Cup ist es natürlich schwieriger. Ich habe die Bälle bekommen, die ich normalerweise gerne haben möchte. Aber leider habe ich sie nicht so gespielt, wie ich sie normalerweise vielleicht spielen würde. Es war schade, denn ich habe schon gemerkt, dass mehr drin gewesen wäre. Ich habe vorher zwei Mal gegen sie gespielt und zwei Mal gewonnen. Auch heute wäre es möglich gewesen, wenn ich meine Leistung gezeigt hätte. Aber wie gesagt: Im Fed Cup ist es immer eine andere Situation.

Welche Rolle hat die Debüt-Nervosität gespielt?

Barthel: Ich war wirklich sehr nervös - so sehr wie noch nie in einem Match. Man will natürlich unbedingt gut spielen und will für das Team den ersten Punkt holen. Da macht man sich auch selbst Druck. Aber ich glaube, jeder, der in dieser Situation war, kennt das. Ich habe einfach versucht, mein Spiel zu spielen. Und ab 2:5 im ersten Satz hat das auch besser geklappt, ich bin auf 5:5 herangekommen. Leider hat es dann im Tie-Break nicht ganz gereicht. Wenn ich den ersten Satz gewonnen hätte, dann wäre es vielleicht anders ausgegangen.

Wie gut konnten Sie denn mit der knappen Niederlage im ersten Satz nach dieser Aufholjagd umgehen? Das war sicher schwierig...

Barthel: Ja, aber ich habe das Positive daraus mitgenommen: dass ich zum Ende des Satzes besser gespielt habe und etwas lockerer wurde. Ich wollte dann im zweiten von Beginn an da sein und mein Tennis spielen.

Den zweiten Satz haben Sie gewonnen, und als Ivanovic im dritten bei 2:2 servierte und 0:30 zurück lag, hatte man den Eindruck, jetzt könnten Sie sie knacken. Aber dann kam kein Punkt mehr und es folgte doch das 3:2 gegen Sie. War das der Knackpunkt, oder eher das Break zum 4:2 im Anschluss?

Barthel: Eher das Break. Es ist schade, dass ich bei 2:2 nicht das 0:40 und dann das 3:2 geschafft habe, aber entscheidend war, glaube ich, mein Aufschlagspiel danach. Da habe ich auf einmal zu viele leichte Fehler gemacht. Aber es war einfach insgesamt zu viel Auf und Ab im ganzen Match.

In diesem eigenen Aufschlagspiel bei 2:3 und 15:30 mussten Sie dann über den zweiten Aufschlag - und plötzlich schreit ein Baby im Publikum. Auch die Schiedsrichterin hat dort kurz hingeschaut, also war es auf dem Platz zu hören. Hat Sie das gestört?

Barthel: "Nein, das habe ich nicht mitbekommen - vielleicht unterbewusst, aber eigentlich nein. Im Match ist man auf sich selbst konzentriert. Die Stimmung in der Halle ist super und beim Fußball grölen ja die ganze Zeit Leute. Beim Tennis hingegen drehen sich schon alle um, wenn man nur einen Ton hört. Aber damit kommt man klar, wenn man öfter auf dem Platz steht."

Registriert man denn dann die Anfeuerungen aus der Box?

Barthel: Die Stimmung in der ganzen Porsche Arena ist toll, und die Unterstützung, die wir bekommen - vom Publikum und auch von der Mannschaft. Das ganze Team war da und hat versucht, mich anzufeuern - auch Barbara Rittner hat auf der Bank versucht, es mir etwas leichter zu machen.

Und wie waren die Reaktionen der Mannschaftskameradinnen nach der Niederlage?

Barthel: Total positiv. Die haben natürlich auch gemerkt, dass ich alles gegeben habe und haben versucht, mich aufzubauen. Die Stimmung im Team ist wirklich positiv. Wir verstehen uns alle gut und unterstützen uns, und es macht wirklich Spaß. Ich denke, im Großen und Ganzen kann ich zufrieden sein.

On eurosport
http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/fed-cup-barthel-so-nerv%C3%B6s-noch-nie-175520288.html

joy division
Apr 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
And the corrected version of google translator

Fed Cup - Barthel: "More nervous than ever before"

Mona Barthel was statistically the better player against Ana Ivanovic but lost in the end of the first match of the Fed Cup match between Germany and Serbia. For the reticent 22-year-old it was a difficult task in her debut of the national team of Barbara Rittner. You could notice the nervousness and the big pressure on her - and Barthel herself also admitted it after the match .

Ms. Barthel, more points, more aces, less double faults - you were over the entire distance actually the better player and have lost in the end. Why?

Mona Barthel: That definitely was not the best match I've ever playyed. I can play better, but because of the particular situation in the Fed Cup, it is of course difficult. I got the balls that I would normally like to have. But unfortunately I have not played the way I would normally play. It was a shame because I noticed that more would have been possible. I have previously played two times against her and won twice. Even today, it would have been possible if I had shown my usual performance. But as I said in the Fed Cup, it is a little different situation.

Which role was playing your debut nervousness ?

Barthel: I was really very nervous - as much as never before in a match. Of course you want to play really well and want to get the first point for the team. So you put even more pressure on yourself. But I think anyone who has been in this situation knows this. I just tried to play my game. And from 2:5 on in the first set it has been working better, I'm approached to 5:5. Unfortunately in the tiebreaker it was not quite enough. If I had won the first set, then perhaps the match would have had a different outcome.

How well could you deal the tight loss of the first set after coming back ? That was not easy, wasn`t it ?

Barthel: Yes, but I have taken the positive aspect of it: I played better at the end of the set and was more relaxed. I wanted to be right there at the start of the second set and play my tennis.

You won the second set, and Ivanovic serving in the third at 2:2 and 0:30, one had the impression, now you could crack it. But you won no more point in this game and were 2-3 behind. Was that the crucial point or was it the break in your following service game ?

Barthel: Rather the break. It is a pity that I did not made the point to 0:40 and break her for a 3-2 lead, but I think it was crucial that I lost my service game afterwards. From that point on I made too many easy mistakes. But overall there were just too much ups and downs throughout the whole match.

In your service game at 2:3 and 15:30, on second serve suddenly a baby cried in the audience. The referee also noticed it and looked over there, so it could have been heard on the court. Did that disturb you ?

Barthel:... "No, I didn`t notice it - perhaps subconsciously, but no, actually not. In the match you're focusing on yourself, the atmosphere in the hall is great and for instance in a football match the crow is noisy allthe time.
In tennis it`s very different, the people turn around after every little sound. But the more often you play on the court the better you can deal with that."
Side note :Her answer does not make sense to me but that`s the content of her talk.

Did you notice the cheers from the box?

Barthel: The mood and the support we get in the Porsche Arena is great - from the audience and from the team. The whole team was there and tried to cheer me - Barbara Rittner on the bench also tried to make it a little easier for me.

And what were the reactions of your teammates after the loss?

Barthel: Absotutely positive. Of course they also noticed that I had given it everything and tried to build me up again. The atmosphere in the team is really positive. We all get along well and support each other, and it's really fun. I think, on the whole, I can be satisfied.

Schnffy
Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:57 PM
from Mona's web site
22.4.: Playing Fed Cup was a great experience. I enjoyed my time with the team and am very very happy that we managed to move up to the World Group I. It's a special feeling playing for your own country. It was a great atmosphere on the court and I would like to thank everyone who came and supported us.

Schnffy
Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:58 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/articles/germany-defeats-serbia-in-tense-fifth-rubber.aspx
With the tie score now in favour of the Serbians at 2-1, Fed Cup newbie Mona Barthel knew she had to pull her weight to get Germany into the World Group in the second rubber of the day and show Bojana Jovanovski who was boss.

“I felt much better [today on court] than yesterday. Yesterday was the first time I played [in the Fed Cup] and I was really, really nervous. Today there were still a lot of nerves and a lot of pressure I felt because it was 1-2 to Serbia, so I knew I had to win. And I wanted it so badly because I feel we have such a good team and we really belong to the Fed Cup World Group and not again the World Group II,” explained Barthel.

To this end, Barthel started well reaching 5-1, propelling Serbian coach Dejan Vranes to wag his finger at Jovanovski in the following changeover break to shift gears. Jovanovski then pulled out some aggressive play to add a game to the first set and avoid total humiliation, with Barthel taking the first set for Germany 61.

Vranes must have pushed his player’s panic button as she flipped her play from passive to aggressive and went on the break Mona’s serve and lead 3-1 to take the second set 63.

The players reached 3-3 in the third set until Jovanovski’s mistakes allowed the German’s thunderous serve to give her the advantage and pull ahead to 5-3, then winning the match for Germany with a shows topping ace down the centre line.

Tecumseh
May 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM
From Mona's website:

4.5.: Mona wasn't physically 100% fit, so she couldn't show her usual performance.

JackFrost
May 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM
From Mona's website:
"her usual performance"
Leider sind Erstrundenpleiten seit einiger Zeit "her usual performance". :rolleyes:

matthias
May 4th, 2013, 08:40 PM
She wasn't 100% so it was easy to show her usual performance

ente73
May 6th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Mona is talking about herself in third person. Does that mean she has a split personality or is that the evidence that Hannelore always writes the reports?

HowardH
May 6th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I think Mona usually writes it but her mum did it this time.

yoite
May 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I think Mona usually writes it but her mum did it this time.

Yes.I think that's right.

jalusbrian
May 10th, 2013, 07:49 AM
She wasn't 100% so it was easy to show her usual performance

this is my first post on tennisforum, pity it has to be critical
Mona has avoided setting up Facebook and Twitter accounts in order not to suffer the fate of the canadian player who did and is not playing any more.
Monas recent 1st round losses were due to illness or fatigue issues, as she has explained.Even Serena cant win if shes sick.

so as a fan of Mona Barthel,please lay off the snarky criticisms: they may sound smart 'She wasn't 100% so it was easy to show her usual performance' but they are offensive.

jalusbrian
May 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
this week weve seen Li Na Vika Azarenka Roger Federer Novak Djokovic Caroline Wozniacki etc all go out early. Mona at least has a good excuse: she was ill

Wonderwall
May 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mona is talking about herself in third person. Does that mean she has a split personality or is that the evidence that Hannelore always writes the reports?

It's evidence that they're being transparent about which of them is writing each report.

Schnffy
May 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/turnier/frenchopenspecial/Mona-Barthel-Ich-will-Steffi-Graf-ja-nicht-unter-Druck-setzen/4893084
Mona Barthel: "Ich will Steffi Graf ja nicht unter Druck setzen"

Die 22-jährige Neumünsteranerin spricht im Interview über ihr großes Idol und die beginnenden French Open.

Mona Barthel musste zuletzt wegen eines Magen-Darm-Infekts eine Turnierpause einlegen. Jetzt hat die Weltranglisten-33. zu Hause in Neumünster ihren Akku aufgeladen und reist zu den French Open. Da will die 22-Jährige nach vier Erstrundenpleiten bei Grand-Slam-Turnieren ihre Negativserie stoppen.

Ihr großes Idol ist Steffi Graf. Haben Sie sie schon getroffen?

Barthel: "Nein, leider noch nicht. Natürlich wäre das etwas ganz Besonderes. In meiner Kindheit war sie mein großes Vorbild. Ich will jetzt aber lieber nicht sagen: Bitte treffen Sie mich! Ich will sie ja nicht unter Druck setzen."

Mit welchen Gefühlen reisen Sie nach Paris? 2012 sind Sie in Roland Garros in Runde eins gescheitert.

Barthel: "Ich fliege auf keinen Fall mit irgendwelchen negativen Gefühlen hin. Das war das erste Grand-Slam-Turnier, für das ich mich 2011 qualifiziert habe und auch noch eine Runde gewann. Außerdem habe ich jetzt noch den Turniersieg bei dem WTA-Turnier in Paris geschafft. Ich wohne extra im selben Hotel wie im Februar. Daran habe ich gute Erinnerungen, und die versuche ich zu transportieren."

Ihre beste Position in der Weltranglisten war Platz 23. Ist Ihr Saisonziel nun der Einzug unter die Top 20?

Barthel: "Ich mache die Ziele nicht am Ranking fest. In erster Linie will ich mein Spiel weiterentwickeln. Aber natürlich ist ein Ziel, dass ich bei den Grand Slams meine Negativserie stoppe. Ich zeige konstant gute Leistungen bei den WTA-Turnieren. Ich habe in dieser Saison Paris gewonnen, stand noch einmal im Finale und einmal im Halbfinale. Nun will ich das bei den Grand Slams zeigen."

Sie waren eine Erfolgsgarantin beim Aufstieg des deutschen Fed-Cup-Teams in die Weltgruppe. Wie wichtig war diese Erfahrung?

Barthel: "Das war ein wunderbares Erlebnis und ein sehr wichtiger Schritt in meiner Karriere. Das war eine unglaubliche Drucksituation und ein anderer Druck als normalerweise: Man spielt nicht für sich allein, sondern für Deutschland. Und das in einem Stadion, wo das Publikum für dich ist. Auch die Stimmung im Team war einfach toll. Wir deutschen Mädchen verstehen uns super gut."

Angelique Kerber, Julia Görges und Sie sowie Tobias Kamke und Julian Reister kommen aus Schleswig-Holstein. Ist dort ein Talentquell?

Barthel: "Auf der einen Seite gehört natürlich eine Riesen-Portion Glück dazu, dass wir jetzt fünf Leute auf Spitzenniveau haben. Andererseits gab es natürlich eine gute Arbeit in Schleswig-Holstein. Ich würde trotzdem sagen, dass wir alle unseren individuellen Weg gegangen sind. Wir haben nicht etwa alle beim selben Coach trainiert. Ein weiterer Grund ist: Man pusht sich gegenseitig nach oben."

Welche Rolle spielt das beschauliche Neumünster für Sie?

Barthel: "Ich bin zwar in Bad Segeberg geboren, aber meine Eltern haben hier gelebt und ich wohne hier mein ganzes Leben. Das ist einfach mein Zuhause. Es ist sehr wichtig für mich, hier ein bisschen Abstand von der Tennisszene zu bekommen und neue Energie zu sammeln. Es gibt keinen zweiten Ort auf der Welt, wo ich das so gut kann."

Tecumseh has to translate it again :oh:

jalusbrian
May 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/turnier/frenchopenspecial/Mona-Barthel-Ich-will-Steffi-Graf-ja-nicht-unter-Druck-setzen/4893084

says shed like to meet Steffi but doesnt want to put her under any pressure!(Maybe Steffi is listening?)....She had a gastro illness that prevented her playing recently.
Rankings dont seem to interest her,...just developing her game

joy division
May 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM

Sei nicht so faul, Schnffy.:D
Einfach google translator und ein bisschen dran rumfeilen. Das schaffst du. Und sein Englisch verbessert man auch mit der Zeit. ;)

Mona Barthel: "I do not want to put pressure on Steffi Graf at all."

The 22-year-old Neumünsteranerin talks about her idol, and the beginning of the French Open.
Mona Barthel lately had to take a break because of a gastrointestinal infection . Now the world ranked 33rd has recharged her batteries at home in Neumünster and will travel to the French Open. There the 22-years-old wants to stop their losing streak after four firdt-round losses at Grand Slam tournaments.

Your idol is Steffi Graf. Did you already meet her ?

Barthel: "... No, not yet. Of course that would be something very special. In my childhood she was my big role model. I wouldn`t rather dare to say:. Please meet me ! Of course I don`t want to press her."(she means it ironically here)

With which kind of feelings you are traveling to Paris? 2012 you failed at Roland Garros in the first round.

Barthel: "I certainly don`t go there with any negative feelings. It wasthe first Grand Slam tournament I ever was able to qualify in 2011 and I also won a round there. Above that I lately did win the tournament at the WTA tournament at Paris. I`ll live in the same hotel as in February. I have good memories about it, and I'm trying to carry them with me. "

Your best position in the world ranking was No. 23 Is your goal for the season now to get into the the Top 20?

Barthel:...., "I don`t fix my aims to the rankings. First and foremost I want to develop my game, but of course is a goal that I stop my negative run in the Grand Slams. I`m showing consistently good performances at the WTA tournaments. I have won this season in Paris, played one more final and one semifinals. Now I want to show it at the Grand Slams. "

You were the guarantee of success at the promotion of the German Fed Cup team in the World Group. How important was this experience?

Barthel: "It was a wonderful experience and a very important step in my career. I was in incredible pressure situation, very different pressure than usual. You don`t just play for your own success, but for Germany. And in a stadium where the audience is behind you. The atmosphere in the team was just great. We German girls get along really well. "

Angelique Kerber, Julia Goerges, you, Tobias Kamke and Julian Reister come from Schleswig-Holstein. Is there a talent source?

Barthel: "On the one side it needs of course a huge amount of luck to the fact that we now have five people at the highest level. On the other hand, they did a really good job in Schleswig-Holstein. I would still say that we have all gone our own individual path. We all had different coaches. Another reason is we pushes each other up to the top "

What role does play the contemplative little town Neumünster for you?

Barthel: "I was born in Bad Segeberg, but my parents have been living here and I spent here my whole life. That's just my home, it is very important for me to get here a little distance from the tennis scene and to collect new energy. There is no other place in the world where I do that as well in the same way. "

Tecumseh
May 25th, 2013, 06:12 PM

25.5.: The draw is out and I will have to face Angelique Kerber. Our match is scheduled to be on Monday.

kadiHH
May 25th, 2013, 07:17 PM
The English version above sounds more ominous than the one in German:

25.5.: Die Auslosung ist draußen. Ich werde in der ersten Runde gegen Angelique Kerber spielen. Unser Match wird am Montag stattfinden.

I don't like to see two compatriots have to play each other, especially so early in the tournament. I think the big question in this match is how Angie's abdominal muscle injury will affect her play and whether this will be like their match at Doha.

angliru
May 26th, 2013, 11:53 AM
From the twitter rumour mill:

Per Colstrup Vinkel ‏@Pervinkel 11m
Mortensen med nyt job i Paris kunne noget tyde på #rg2013 #monabarthel pic.twitter.com/YCrvdhVGsl

http://i.imgur.com/XzcWe7l.jpg

Translation:
Something suggests Mortensen has a new job in Paris.

Michael Mortensen was Li Na's coach when she won FO 2011.

Tecumseh
May 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
:eek:

Tecumseh
May 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info, angliru! :yeah:

joy division
May 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Rumour mill tells a lot...
But if it`s true it shows at least that Mona is urgently looking for a coach after the try with the Orlik academy.

angliru
May 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I know we shouldn't read too much into this. That's why I stressed "rumour". But the fact that Mortensen is present during Mona's practice does suggest something. I guess there can be other reasons for him being there, but he certainly doesn't look like a random visitor.

We'll have to wait and see.

Wonderwall
May 26th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Great news if it's true.

angliru
May 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm sure some news about coach Mortensen will also come from the German press eventually, but here is one article from a Danish paper (http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1989460.ece).

PARIS (ekstrabladet.dk): Two years ago, he could celebrate his first grand slam as coach of China's Li Na. Now, Michael Mortensen is back in Paris helping Germany's Mona Barthel.

- She phoned me herself and asked if I would come to a meeting and have a look at her game that was causing her some troubles. Then we trained three days in Neumünster, and she was very excited and asked if we could work together in the long term, says the Danish coach.

At first, he only agreed to assist her during the French Open.

- I need to fit this job with my personal life, my job as a commentator for Eurosport and my other trainer tasks, so we'll see. But she is a sweet girl with an interesting development potential, he said of the 22-year-old, 185 centimeter tall girl, who is currently ranked number 33.

She's up against fellow German Angelique Kerber in the 1st round. Kerber is seeded 8th but struggling with an abdomen injury.

jalusbrian
May 27th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I'm sure some news about coach Mortensen will also come from the German press eventually, but here is one article from a Danish paper (http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1989460.ece).

'But she is a sweet girl with an interesting development potential,'

interesting if understated comment! as she has won 3 tournaments already, 2nd year on tour

Tecumseh
May 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks angliru! It seems that Mona is really looking for a permanent tourcoach now. Hopefully Mortensen agrees to a longterm cooperation, as Mona seems to believe that he could help her.

KatjaS
May 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mona's report:

27.5.: I couldn't win against Angelique today. I didn't took my chances (setpoints in the first set), and she played extremely well. Thanks for the support I got there. Still it was a lot of fun playing at a Grand Slam tournament.

(German one says the same)

Setsuna.
May 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
:awww: :hug:

Schnffy
May 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks angliru! It seems that Mona is really looking for a permanent tourcoach now. Hopefully Mortensen agrees to a longterm cooperation, as Mona seems to believe that he could help her.

the commentator on German ES (Stach) said they know each other from the Danish league and maybe want to work together periodically, as Mortensen can't be permanently with her...he said also that Mortensen told Mona she should be more emotional on court, be more agressive in her body language (fistpumping)

Tecumseh
May 28th, 2013, 11:57 AM
the commentator on German ES (Stach) said they know each other from the Danish league and maybe want to work together periodically, as Mortensen can't be permanently with her...he said also that Mortensen told Mona she should be more emotional on court, be more agressive in her body language (fistpumping)

Thanks for the info, Schnffy! I was watching german eurosport as well yesterday, and i was thinking that if he doesn't want to quit at least one of his jobs, he is not really ready to fully commit to a cooperation with Mona. If he believed that Mona could be similar successful like Li Na, i am sure he would be ready to quit his other jobs. But maybe he wants to find out firstly how far Mona can potentially go, but i think her great talent should be obvious for an expert like him.

Anyway, Mona needs a fulltime tourcoach as a permanent solution IMO. Another part-time engagement would not really get her anywhere.

mk27
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Mona is playing in Bad Gastein this year :eek:

matthias
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:20 PM
wow - unexpected, hopefully the weather isn´t rainy this year, faster courts would be better for her

Setsuna.
Jun 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Good news.

renegade!
Jun 4th, 2013, 11:05 PM

The love of money is the root to all evil. I would have loved to quote her reports about Bastad from last year, but i cannot find them on her website. I think that it was her favourite tournament next to her hometown Neumünster, nice people and nice place and nice other things.

Never mind!

mk27
Jun 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM
The love of money is the root to all evil. I would have loved to quote her reports about Bastad from last year, but i cannot find them on her website.

Here are the reports from 2012: http://www.mona-barthel.de/berichte2012.html

renegade!
Jun 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Here are the reports from 2012: http://www.mona-barthel.de/berichte2012.html

Thanks. I was right.

15.7.: Yesterday I arrived in Baastad. For me it is one of the nicest places on earth. Perfectly situated hotel, nice beach, nice weather and long days. I had some good practce yesterday, too.

ente73
Jun 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Weiss jemand, ob Mona am Sonntag in der Bundesliga spielen wird?
Bocholt spielt in Ratingen um den Titel.

mk27
Jun 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Ich vermute mal eher nicht. Aber zu 100% kann ich das natürlich nicht sagen.

renegade!
Jun 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Ich vermute mal eher nicht. Aber zu 100% kann ich das natürlich nicht sagen.

Ich schon.

7.6.: Ich bin gestern in Birmingham angekommen und konnte schon einmal auf Rasen trainieren. Das Wetter ist sehr schön hier, hoffentlich bleibt das auch in der nächsten Woche so.

Rex59
Jun 9th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Serena and Venus are playing there, as well. The draw from all appearances (Kanepi, Yaro', maybe and improved Martic by that time) will be more than decent for an int'l.

renegade!
Jun 9th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Serena and Venus are playing there, as well.

No. They are playing in Bastad.

Rex59
Jun 9th, 2013, 02:30 PM
No. They are playing in Bastad.

You're right. Thanks for the correction......:yeah:

mk27
Jun 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM
After today's win:
11.6.: I am really happy to win my first grass court match in this season. The first match is always very tricky and Vesna played real good on grass. Tomorrow I will play doubles in 4th round.

Tecumseh
Jun 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
After her doubles with Kristina yesterday:

14.6.: I played the first time together doubles with Kiki and we won against the no. 1 seeded pair (Kops-Jones-Spears). The match was 5 times suspended due to rain, it must be a good preparation for Wimbledon...

jalusbrian
Jun 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM
After her doubles with Kristina yseterday:

great work Mona and Kiki! will this be another Stuttgart? Fingers crossed

Tecumseh
Jun 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
From Mona's website:

15.6.: After our win yesterday, we lost today against the 3 seeded pair Barty and Dellacqua. Tomorrow I will depart to 's-Hertogenbosch, hopefully I will have my first match on Tuesday.

mk27
Jun 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
From her website

18.6.: I lost again, while making more points than my opponent. In Tennis this sometimes happens, I had it already several times this year. I have to stop with this....

Tecumseh
Jun 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
This time Mona seems to be very disappointed with her loss and in this connection she makes reference to similar defeats. I take it as a good sign.

Schnffy
Jun 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
but she seems to be a bit helpless too atm :(

mk27
Jun 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Mona will play Washington

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=29721769&postcount=1

Tecumseh
Jun 25th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Mona's newest report from her website:

25.6.: I am really happy to win against Monica Niculescu today (she had three matchballs in a row!). She has a very special style to play with forehand slice. I made lots of net approaches and was able to win my first match in the Wimbledon main draw.

Setsuna.
Jun 25th, 2013, 09:09 PM
We are really happy too.

Setsuna.
Jul 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Lastest post on FB:

I have some good news for you. I had a couple of days to relax and my shoulder is feeling much better. So I have a good feeling, that I will be ready for my next tournament in Washington.

A lot of people asked me about my tournament schedule. I will be playing in Washington, Toronto, Cincinnati and then the US Open. I can't wait to get back on the court and play the tournaments in the US!

Wonderwall
Jul 22nd, 2013, 04:18 PM
Great news.

tennisfreak13
Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM
Mona has redesigned her Homepage. Maybe she has twitter to now. But the link on her HP doesn't work.

kiriosh.
Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
It looks so much better :yeah:

jalusbrian
Jul 29th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Mona now has an official Facebook page

kiriosh.
Jul 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Tomorrow I am playing my first match against Stefanie Voegele at 2 o'clock on Court Grandstand 2.

I am also going to play doubles here in Washington with Alize Cornet. We are facing Heather Waton and Anna Tatishvili.

Good luck girl :yeah:

jalusbrian
Jul 31st, 2013, 11:47 AM
Monas new Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mona-Barthel/470843266331317

Tecumseh
Aug 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM
From Mona's FB page:

The tournament in Washington just ended for me. I wasn't able to win against Andrea, she was playing too good today. All the credit to her... But I will learn from that and will be working really hard for my next tournament in Montreal.

I think she should start to become more self-critical.

Rex59
Aug 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
From Mona's FB page:

I think she should start to become more self-critical.

Well, she must be still dazed by the lopsided dismissal, for the Roger's Cup for the ladies is in Toronto, not Montreal. :o

matthias
Aug 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
maybe Petko played just great yesterday :shrug:

Tecumseh
Aug 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM
maybe Petko played just great yesterday :shrug:

Maybe you are right. But given the match statistics it's pretty likely that Mona would have also lost against Pegula again yesterday.

What i wanted to say is that she should focus more on the actual flaws of her own game than to praise her opponents, in order to finally become a competitive player again. Such a devastating loss without getting a single break point on the opponents serve is a problem IMO, even against such an accomplished player like Petkovic.

Giving credit to your opponent is a good thing but doing that to often (like Mona does) makes you less competitive. As i said, Mona should rather concentrate on her own game and her development in order to end her losing streak.

There has to be something going really wrong when a talented player like Mona is not able to get past R2 for four and a half months.

Setsuna.
Aug 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM
^ Spot on.

Tecumseh
Aug 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM
From Mona's FB page:

I am in Toronto right now for my next tournament. But so far, things could have gone better. My plane was delayed, my suitcase got broken and today in practice I twisted my ankle. But luckily nothing serious happened and I will be ready for my match tomorrow against Jie Zheng. Hopefully the luck will be on my side

:unsure:

joy division
Aug 5th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Hopefully the luck will be on my side

Hopefully she is not just relying on that but also can produce some decent tennis finally again.;)
All the best for Mona at Toronto.

Tecumseh
Aug 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Mona's new match report:

Unfortunately I lost a tough three set match to Sloane Stephens today. A little bit disappointed, but overall I played a good match and I am looking positive to my next tournament in Cincinnati.

Tecumseh
Aug 12th, 2013, 06:45 AM
From Mona's FB page:

My next tournament is close to start! I will be playing my first match of the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati against Lucy Safarova on Tuesday. So I will have one more day of practice to get ready. Feeling good and excited for my next match!