PDA

View Full Version : Please verify this news : New tournament next year in Korea?

Eric_tennis
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Anyone can confirm this news, please?

I read an article on a local newspaper (as of yesterday) that there will be an WTA tournament ( $110,000 ) in September 2003 in Korea. It mentions that it will be held between Polo open (China) and Japan open. I think it would be Sep. 22, same week with Sparkassen Cup.
The article also says it will be organized by a Media company which has held 50K Seould challenger for years.

Do you think it's possible? Cause I think the 2003 schedule had been released weeks ago,.. and no mention for new tournament.
I think there would be a limitation of the number of events or new event register deadline,.. something like that.

I hope it will turn out to be true. :D Cause the organizer has very close relationship with my favorite, Mi-ra Jeon. ;) :D And she always tries her best in her home court. Hopefully I can see her first WTA tour victory next year after her first challenger victory this year in her homeland.

For me, it's a very good news, but I don't want to be overjoyed at it before kind of confirmation by reliable sources like you guys.

Thanks in advance.
:D

Eric_tennis
Dec 20th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Any comments? :rolleyes:

fhkung
Dec 20th, 2002, 06:57 AM
nope, only thing in Sep 22 is Leipzig......
aint no Korean ones there..:)

Eric_tennis
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Thanks, fhkung.

That's what I've checked in WTA tour official site.

Is it possible to held a tournament in 2003 in a new place if one of tournaments is canceled or sells out their right to another city? :confused:

spiceboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 11:19 AM
I don't think it's possible once the calendar is released (think of Aarhus, Surabaya, Basel...) but you never know. I really hope Korea gets a WTA tourney soon

tommyk75
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I really really hope this is true. I think maybe it's possible. I remember a few years ago, the calendar came out and there was no mention of a new small event in Boston, but it did happen later that year, right before the U.S. Open.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

novotnaquinton
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:54 PM
There are so few WTA tournments held in Asia!:(

Rising Sun
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Well, I did wonder why there was no Asian tourney held between Shanghai and Tokyo... ;)

Maybe this is the answer... :)

Jem
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:07 PM
They usually tinker with the schedule throughout the year -- tournaments are dropped or added depending on circumstances. It wouldn't surprise me to see Korea turn up on the calendar.

King Aaron
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Hopefully Korea does turn up :D

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
it could be put on
the calendar published by the WTA is subject to alterations
both positive and negative ;)

Eric_tennis
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:28 PM
Thank you all. :D

I'm still looking for further news,.. but not yet. :D The local newspaper is Dong-A Il-bo, one of the biggest newspapers in Korea. (site : www.donga.com) (article : http://news.naver.com/news_read.php?oldid=2002121700000063013&s=287,401,530&e=359,472,610 )

It's good to know it's not impossible technically.
:D

Thanks again & Merry Christmas~~
:wavey:

bis2806
Dec 21st, 2002, 08:01 PM
i think it's because most of WTA players are not really suited to the asian weather.... hot and humid

spiceboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by bis2806
i think it's because most of WTA players are not really suited to the asian weather.... hot and humid

:confused: I think girls are very suited since everyone plays in Miami-Sarasota-Amelia Island ;)

köj-è
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Korea isn't hot I think ;)

but as Wynne said in her website that WTA hasn't send her schedule from April-December 2003, so it's still possible! :D

Eric_tennis
Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:30 AM
September is the best season for north-east Asian countries, Japan & Korea. It's almost the same weather with Californian fall if it doesn't meet Typoon. :D No humid & hot at all. :p