PDA

View Full Version : I won the Sanex WTA Tour Essay Contest!

AgassiGirl16
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone, I just wrote an essay for the Sanex WTA Tour. You had to write about your favorite player and why, and they picked 3 winners and I won!

They said they will be sending me some Sanex stuff and an "autographed item" as a prize. I am soo excited!

Go here to see it essay (http://sanexwtatour.com/index.cfm?section=main&cont_id=153391)

A Real Tennis Hero
by Mary Kate McElvaney
December 19, 2002

As a young tennis player, the WTA Tour and the women that play in it have truly been an inspiration to me. All of the women are such great athletes and I admire all of them, but my favorite player has a special place in my heart for a very special reason. Corina Morariu has been my favorite tennis player for a long time. There are countless things that I admire about her, not only in tennis, but also in life. She is a woman who doesn’t get enough credit for all of the battles she has won. After all, she’s alive; she has already won the war.

Most of the tennis world didn’t know much about Corina until she was diagnosed with Leukemia in May of 2001. Before her illness, she won her first singles title, the 1999 Wimbledon Ladies Doubles title, the 2001 Australian Open Mixed Doubles Title, and even earned her highest career rankings of #29 in singles, and the #1 ranking in the world in doubles. Corina is an extremely hard working individual who deserves nothing but success. Some people only know of Corina because of her illness, but despite all of that, she should be recognized more for her tennis. Corina plays such a beautiful game, and is such a talented athlete. The physical aspects of her game that I admire the most have to be her one-handed backhand and her net play. I am only sixteen years old, and I am really working diligently on improving my game. Corina is the one that I try to model my game after. Her spirit on the court is unconquerable. She shows such a determination to succeed and never gives up in a match. The determination that she shows on the court really helps me to believe in myself. Even though she doesn’t know it, looking up to her has helped me to win many matches, as well as to get through a lot of difficult times. Given time, her ranking will get back up to where it should be. After all, great champions never stay far from the top for long.

I met Corina this summer when she played World Team Tennis for the Philadelphia Freedoms. I was so excited to see Corina play in person, and I was even more moved when I got to meet her. She is such a sweet and outgoing person, and meeting her truly was one of the best times of my life. Even though she had just come back to professional tennis, and her game was far from infallible, Corina played excellent tennis. She showed such persistence and never faltered. That memory of meeting Corina, and seeing her play, will be one that I will never forget.

Seeing Corina play at the US Open this year was such a memorable and inspiring moment for me as well. Watching her walk onto the court again was such an emotional moment. I watched my hero fight through so many difficult times, and just seeing her return to the court was an inspiration in itself. Corina knew that she had a tough draw, but even that didn’t get her down. She held her head up high the entire match, and played amazing tennis. Corina lost the match, but she never lost her splendor. She knew that just stepping back onto the court was a victory in itself, and a big one at that.

As you can see, Corina Morariu is my favorite tennis player for countless reasons. She is a girl full of spirit, bravery, kindness, and aptitude. She doesn’t have to have Grand Slam titles and be a top ranked player to hold a special place in my heart. Her heart and bravery have helped her to attain so much, and will continue to do so in the future. I wish I could thank Corina for helping me to persevere, not only in my tennis, but also in life. Corina is my hero, and she always will be. The “C” necklace that Corina wears around her neck not only represents her name, but it also shows her must important virtue, and that is courage. Corina Morariu is an amazing athlete and a genuinely admirable person. The mark that she has made on the tennis world, as well as in the hearts of so many people is an astounding one and surely one that is everlasting.

Lindsayfan
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:37 PM
congrats MK! :D :D :D

Berlin_Calling
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Wow, congrats :D :bounce:

auntie janie
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:44 PM
AgassiGirl16, that is a beautiful, heartfelt essay!! I am very happy that you won the prize, and am extra glad that you earned it by writing about the wonderful Corina. :kiss: :)

E. Blackadder
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Wohow :eek:

Great essay :bounce: congrats

AgassiGirl16
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone!! I am a huge fan of Corina's, and she is the one on the tour who truly inspires me, so it all came to me really easily! I can't wait to get my prize!! I wonder what it is!!

Mary Kate

Elleke
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:56 PM
wow great!! congratulations!!

Keith
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Much Kudos to you!! Im happy for you! How special a feeling it must be!

miranda_lou
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Very nicely written. Congrats on winning.:)

Come-on-kim
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:13 PM
CONGRATS

Havok
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:29 PM
woohoo.you should be extremely proud of yourself!!!!!!:)

joaco
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Excellnt eassay, I really really liked it!

Buitenzorg
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Well Done :D

Robbie.
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:49 PM
well done :)

ßcoene
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Congrats :bounce:

AgassiGirl16
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Thanks soo much!

Mary Kate

Hawk
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Congrats! :D

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Well done AgassiGirl! This is a really touching essay.
btw: Your name AgassiGirl, shoudn´t it be Steffi Graf?! Hahahahhaahaha......LoL!!!

AgassiGirl16
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Haha nuriboy,
Your right! I'm only Agassi's girl in my dreams!

Mary Kate

Colin B
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:17 PM
Well Done. Nice writing, interesting subject. Yours probably stood out amongst all the Serena/Venus/Monica stuff!

Tratree
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Great job, Mary Kate! Corina is a hero worthy of such a nice tribute. Hope you get some great stuff :)

Meesh
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Great job, you'll have to let us know what prizes you get!

AgassiGirl16
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Thanks again.
I hope that Corina's essay stood out among the other ones. She is a really special girl and deserves something special said about her. Sometimes we forget about her tennis, but the person she is is what is so special about her.

Mary Kate

geewhiz
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Wow congratulations! :D
Corina's a great player and you're a great fan so couldn't be better :bounce:

Messenger
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Congratulations!

caramel
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Congratulations. :bounce:

maya
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Congratulations! It liked reading it :).

Venus Forever
Dec 20th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Congrats!! Great Job!!:D

Corina would be proud.;)

tyk101
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:56 PM
congrats

wt do u win?

AgassiGirl16
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:53 AM
Thanks..
I win Sanex products and an autographed item, I have no idea what though!

Mary Kate

King Aaron
Dec 21st, 2002, 12:46 PM
:bounce: Congratulations Mary Kate!!! :) It's a really great essay. :D

barmaid
Dec 21st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Congratulations on your essay winning article about Corina..I have seen your posts before at hingis.org and know you possess great writing ability for a girl so young. Picking Corina as a real heroine was an easy choice I would assume because of her courage against her cancer and the battle she waged...no easy task for a professional tennis player. I too, admire Lance Armstrong for successfuly beating his cancer and becoming a "winner" beating the disease but also winning the last four Tour de France races!!:bounce: We are humbled by their accomplishments...:hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

Ryan
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:01 PM
Congrats Mary Kate, that was a wonderful essay. :D Too bad Porsche hasn't taken over the WTA Tour as sponsor, just look at the gifts you'd get THEN! ;) :D:p

anton
Dec 21st, 2002, 03:14 PM
who wants sanex products?

AgassiGirl16
Dec 21st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Barmaid,
Thanks a lot. That really means so much to me. Corina really earned herself a lot of respect because she beat cancer, but even then, there are still things I admire about her, such as her game, and even her determination on the court. She never gives up in anything, and that's hard to find in someone to look up to.

Ryan,
Yeah, I wish they took over the WTA tour!! That would be great!

Anton,
Sanex Products are fine for me! Plus an autpgraphed item, I actually entered the contest just because I wanted to write about Corina. The prizes were just a bonus. Anyway, you should get ready to use Sanex products, since you won the contest this week!

Mary Kate

JCAP
Dec 21st, 2002, 07:25 PM
Congrats!!