PDA

View Full Version : In tennis history who is the biggest Junk shot hitter?

selesadmirer
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:06 PM
By that i mean hitting moonballs,slices all the time loop balls,drop shots..etc...Who do you think?

Glenn
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Hmm, from the ones I know: Conchita Martinez

way
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Martinez, yes, but she got also good results (Wimbledon!)
The most awful (no offense meant, just a *technical* opinion) player i've ever seen is/was Sandra Cecchini!
Gee!
:)

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Junkball? Hahahah.....we all know that!! Conchita...has there ever been a more naturally junkballer?!

Fuji
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:50 PM
I could never understand why top-spin moonball, slice, and drop shot are described as junk shots.

It takes a considerable amount of talent to hit those shots.

Yak
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I think it's between Martinez and Z-Women(Natasha Zvereva;))

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Conchita Martinez...NO QUESTION ;)

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Fuji: Itīs because they play so all the time. They never hit hard...just slice, etc...slow the game down! Those shots are freakish and give people trouble.

Keith
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:23 PM
I dont know...Rita Kuti Kis maybe

Pureracket
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:26 PM
My goodness!!!!! Everybody should watch Zvereva tapes. ALL junkballs.

2ace2
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:29 PM
I agree with Fuji! They're all shots like the rests and talent is needed to hit them well, so there's no such thing as junk shots. Everyone has his own style
:rolleyes:

auntie janie
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Natasha & Conchita, I agree 100%. :) :)

Come-on-kim
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Monica;)

No lol, Conchita

Mrs. Peel
Dec 19th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Conchita?
Rita Grande?

Fuji
Dec 19th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Nuriboy, I have no idea what tennis level you are at?

But as far as I am concerned ( a solid 4.5), topspinning and slicing are more difficult than hitting hard and flat in terms of tennis technic.

Martina Hingis once said " When you play Conchita, you try to avoid her forehand. If you don't, those spins would wear you out and eventually kill you."

I didn't have that much respect for heavy spin until getting beaten by a heavy-spinner in a local tounament. And guess what, I am a heavy spinner myself now and most people I play against
have difficulty dealing with that nasty spin, especially two-handed backhand players.

disposablehero
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Nancy Loeffler-Caro

Celeste
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:48 AM
You guys are so mean to Conchita. I have seen her use her shots to great advantage, and, I have seen her use them for no purpose either. Excessive use of slice and spin is not necessarily "junk ball" her shots are pretty to watch, and few can do them these days. I'd rather see a great slice and some great spin than some blast down the line. Today, more and more woman can hit the shit out of the ball, but it does take real talent to slice and spin and all, and I am not ragging on the Williamses, Serena I have seen hit with a lot of spin. Dokic is probably the worst "boring flat shot" offender of the top players, but Conchita is NOT a junk baller, ok. Conchita is better in person, you can see how pretty her shots are. It is not "junk."

o0O0o
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:50 AM
You can't take the term "junk ball" to literally. It is not an attack on Conchita...she just likes to junk it up.

Celeste
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:03 AM
No, it's not an attack on her, I know that, and Conchita has used these shots in the past out of laziness when she's playing poorly and all, I see Conchita for what she is, brilliant at some points, base at others. But my point is, few can hit her shots right now. Serena, Venus, Jennifer, even Amelie and Kim and Justine, cannot hit Conchita's shots. They don't have the finesse, and they don't need it. But they can't do it. She is an interesting dying breed, and her game can be quite effective.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Kim does a lot, and on match points, Championship Points, break points, mini break points... crazy girl!

ColinB
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:19 AM
The worst was actually a player called Julie Heldman who was top 10 from around 1966 to 1975. Her nick-name on Tour was "junk-shot Julie" - she was the duaghter of Gladys Heldman, who founded the very first professional women's tour with Billie-Jean King.

Julie used to drive all the players nuts....

selesadmirer
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:31 AM
is clarisa fernandez a junk player?

Mark43
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Francoise Durr

bionic71
Dec 20th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Yes.....Martinez and Zvereva used the junket to great advantage.
Sabatini, when in trouble, against Graf, Navratilova and Evert would junk that backhand around.
Also Garrison would "junk it up" against the baseliners eg Evert, Bassett, Maleeva etc in the 80s.
Frankie Durr for sure.
American Pam Casale in the 80s - I remember a match against Evert in 86?? where she gave Chris a heart attack in the 2nd set with the most amazing array of junk balls - floating backhands, dropshots, no pace......it drove Chris crazy.
Manuela Maleeva would junk ball Evert also.....never missing and giving her no pace. She was very effective against Evert using this tactic.
It is a much more dangerous tactic today though....the girls hit harder and on most occasions can put the junk away if it is short.

LucasArg
Dec 20th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by selesadmirer
is clarisa fernandez a junk player?

What??!!:fiery:

selesadmirer
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by LucasArg
What??!!:fiery: She hits all these loopy,and slicy shots when she played at the french open and got spanked by venus.:rolleyes:

Lee C
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Barbara Paulus without question :)

nuriboy
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Celeste: Now thatīs the problem nowadays. From the minute the sisters hit the scene tennis became boring and bla bla. They donīt have finesse, they only hit hard ......all CRAP!! During the Us open I have watched Serena hit some shots to Venus Venus had no answer for! Iīve seen Serena hit some dropshots, lobs! Things of beauty!! But if she has to play power game she can play it too!! Conchita is one-dimensional!!