PDA

View Full Version : "The offensive against the Williams sisters is preprogrammed"

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:19 PM
According to the announcer today on Eurosport (which is showing Australian Open matches for ten days as a sort of warm up to the fastly approaching major), JELENA DOKIC is now going to train for TWENTY WEEKS (also during Oz) with HEINZ GÜNTHARDT (spelling?), the former coach of the GREAT STEFFI GRAF. This is a great move for Dokic who last year got her first win over JENNIFER CAPRIATI and played well occasionally. She has some serious weapons but has never been mentally strong or disciplined to challenge players like Davenport or Williams (at least not consistently). I think Heinz could really help Jelena who has an explosive forehand like Steffi did.

Will be interesting to watch Dokic in this upcoming year considering her separation from her father, a new boyfriend and now a new coach!

BK4ever
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Idont get how the thread title and content are related?????

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:23 PM
I don´t think any of that will matter for Dokic. She´s just to slow to compete against the williamses. She may hit hard, but when you hit hard back against her she can´t reach the balls.....so end of discussion. A german coach,eh?! So now she wants to become German?! Hahahhaa..........LOL!!!

Beat
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:27 PM
what?? :confused: i read an interview with günthardt during the swisscom challenge and there he said that he would never be a coach again. strange...

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:28 PM
That was what the announcer said twice before mentioning that Dokic would train with Heinz Günthardt. Obviously the announcer, just like in the States, is obsessed with someone who can challenge the sisters. Surprisingly Dokic was one of the players last year who more than once hinted that she would have no chance to beat the sisters. Players like Henin and Davenport were shocked at her statements.

Dokic, playing with an injury, did play a tough first set against Serena in the qf's. She will have to stay healthy and be mentally tough but she get some confidence from the way she was often dictating play to Serena in that first set (long before Serena was even tired from playing Jennifer).

Obviously right now the the Williams (mainly Serena) are the players to beat. :D

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 03:31 PM
I think "working with her for 20 weeks" might not be a real coaching job in Heinz's head. Call it whatever you want but that is what the guy the Eurosport commentator was saying. It's great for Jelena because she has great groundstrokes but needs to improve in many areas of her game. She can get better. :D

Pureracket
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by BK4ever
Idont get how the thread title and content are related?????

I don't either.:confused:

anton
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:59 PM
she will have to change mentally!!!

Jelena said if Venus makes 40-50 errors maybe she can win. This is NOT the attitude to have!!! :rolleyes:

Havok
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:02 PM
nuriboy, why the hell did u say that Jelena can't compete with the williams sisters?????? she did beat Venus and gave her a good ass wooping on clay and beat her like 6-26-3 and plus she hasn't played them that often. she played Serena only 3 times and she was able topush her to a tie-break WITH A BROKEN ANKLE i might add, and this was while Serena was on top of her game. she was dictating a lot of points in that match and she was making Serena run all over the place. she can definitely play against them and also beat them,she just has to get better mentally and know that her father isn't there anymore,she can regain some mental ability and probably beat them and if she does loose a match, she'll definitelygive them a run for their money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anton
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:05 PM
naldo,

ok, now let's get back to reality. Venus was just coming back from wrist problems when she lost to jelena on clay. there is no need to rub this loss in. are we williams fans rubbing in all the "losses" jelena has "tanked"? at least she has given her dad the boot so this proves she has not stupid after all.

Pureracket
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Um. . . ..Naldo, I REALLY like Jelena, but hadn't Venus been out of action for like 6 months with that tendonitis injury?

Jelena may very well have one of the most underrated games of any of the top players. When it's on, her groundstrokes are impeccable. Also, not many people talk about Dokic's second serve and how it is probably one of the best in the game.

harloo
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Treufreund has simply went out to lunch. The topic has nothing to do with Jelena getting her tanking under control.:rolleyes:

anton
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:28 PM
doesnt tf live in kentucky? did he move?

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Hahahahaa Naldo! You see?! I don´t even have to answer your question. Silly, silly! Beat Venus once after she returned from injury, never beaten Serena( Serena wasn´t even 30 % in L.A. she will tell you just that) and reputation for tanking! Not good, not good my friend!!

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Actually I moved to Germany which people in the know already knew. The title of the thread is the quote which the announcer said two or three times during the show today which was Hingis vs Davenport and Hingis vs Capriati at Oz Open. He kept bringing up Dokic and her new "coach" and did not say much other than the fact that the "attack on the Williams sister is preprogrammed". I think he was more or less acknowledging that Jelena might be one who COULD challenge the Williams. The title of the thread was simply the quote that he repeated a couple of times and I thought this board would enjoy the discussion on Jelena's new coach and what her chances would be with Steffi's old coach at her side. Can he channel her energies and get her to play SMARTER???

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Btw, I can see how some of you would not see what the title has to do with Jelena. It's simply the quote of the moderator who kept saying that. It just shows how so many are really DESPERATELY looking for someone to challenge Serena (and Venus). Williams fans should be very happy about that but I do feel that it's good for the sport if other girls step it up like Kim did in LA. :D

auntie janie
Dec 19th, 2002, 06:35 PM
I thought Jelena was out for months with an ankle that was BROKEN in a few places???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think from now on I will just ignore everything posted about Jelena on this board -- it is all so contradictory, time after time ... :o

nuriboy
Dec 19th, 2002, 06:41 PM
WHoaoahaahahahahahahahah!! Janie,janie! I agree! THere´s always something stupid with Dokic! What´s wrong with that girl?

TSequoia01
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
Actually I moved to Germany which people in the know already knew. The title of the thread is the quote which the announcer said two or three times during the show today which was Hingis vs Davenport and Hingis vs Capriati at Oz Open. He kept bringing up Dokic and her new "coach" and did not say much other than the fact that the "attack on the Williams sister is preprogrammed". I think he was more or less acknowledging that Jelena might be one who COULD challenge the Williams. The title of the thread was simply the quote that he repeated a couple of times and I thought this board would enjoy the discussion on Jelena's new coach and what her chances would be with Steffi's old coach at her side. Can he channel her energies and get her to play SMARTER???

Hey Treufreund, I was stationed in Germany just outside of Mainz in Wackernheim. McCulley Barracks was the exact Kasern. Loved the area and the people plus the wine. :drool: I lived on the economy with Germans in Ingleheim. He would give me Schnaaps and I would give him rum. :) He wanted me to come back to Germany and work in his business with his wife and family. Maybe I should have. :D

Dawn Marie
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Did someone mention Dokic's groundstrokes?

Yes, that girl has some great groundies that can move players from side to side like they are yo yo's. Infact she displayed that wonderful technique when she beat the crap out of Martina Hingis at Wimbeldon in 99 or was that 01? I forgot.:)

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:15 PM
'99. Vivi did it in '01...:p

Dawn Marie
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks Topshotta maybe I should have "preprogrammed" that match onto my VCR tape so I will not make that same mistake again. :p:D

jd4eva
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
janie: Jelena is out for a couple of weeks - not months

On the coaching issue, Jelena actually worked with Heinz the week before the Tour Championships in Monte Carlo.

They will be working for 20 weeks together from the start of the season till about 5 months in. Then they will evaluate how the partnership is travelling and decide whether to continue on a full time basis or whether Jelena should find another coach.

Rae Q.
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:20 PM
I like her game but she totally plays way too much. She better watch out or her body may just say enough is enough and then she has to retire early. I'm not wishing that on her but it's no secret that she plays the most of all the players.

treufreund
Dec 19th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Yes she has said that she will play less. Heinz seems like a solid and supportive person. He always seemed positive and yet honest. I think it's a good move for Jelena. I remember watching her live in Los Angeles against Capriati this last summer where she got her first win over Jennifer on a relatively slow hard court. She said in her on-court interview that she decided to hold back just a little and not miss a lot. Of course she still pasted her groundstrokes but was willing to play some more defensive shots when necessary and not always aim for the line. She just wore Jennifer down who could believe how long the brutal rallies were lasting. It seems like they were each hitting the ball 6 or 7 times on AVERAGE which is very long for two such powerful players. That was the first time in a long time where I was really impressed but then right after that she "semi-tanked" against Chanda, was crying all the time, lost badly to the talented Bovina and just struggled in the fall. Injuries, burnout, etc.

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Treu, seriously, did you leave the US?

anton
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:09 PM
why did you move to germany tf?

sorry im not "intheknow"

whatchalookinat!!
sorry, that whitney hoursoton song was on my mind

treufreund
Dec 20th, 2002, 12:19 AM
I am no longer in the States but with the Internet and the phone it doesn't ever seem far away. Besides every time I turn on the TV there is some pic of Dubya there. :rolleyes:

anton
Dec 20th, 2002, 04:20 AM
at least he is not your leader.