PDA

View Full Version : Gilberto Gil to Become New Brazil Culture Minister

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:40 PM
http://imgfarm.com/images/ap/PEOPLE_GILBERTO_GIL.sff_SAO101_20021217230556.jpg
Brazilian pop star Gilberto Gil leaves a press conference in a hotel lobby in downtown Sao Paulo, Brazil, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2002. Gil, Brazil's hugely popular Grammy-winning pop star, accepted an offer from President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to become the country's next culture minister

Gil to Become New Brazil Culture Minister

Dec 18, 1:34 AM (ET)

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) - Gilberto Gil, Brazil's popular Grammy-winning pop star, accepted an offer from President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to become the country's next culture minister.

Gil, 60, was one of the creators of Tropicalia, which opened traditional bossa nova to rock 'n' roll, reggae and Latin sounds. He has sold millions of CDs and records worldwide.

He campaigned for Silva and is the most prominent member of Brazil's Green Party, which gained five seats in the Lower House elections in October and is allied with Silva's Workers Party.

In a news conference Tuesday, Gil said he has not yet formed goals for his new job, which he will begin when Silva takes office on Jan. 1.

"My first task is to listen inside myself and listen outside," Gil said.

He met with Silva over the weekend to discuss the job, but later said he wasn't sure whether to accept because he couldn't maintain his lifestyle on the $26,000 maximum salary.

After meeting with members of the Green Party, Gil told reporters he has Silva's permission to continue making money from his music.

"I can work from Monday through Friday at the ministry and do shows on Saturday and Sunday," he said.

Gil won a world music Grammy Award in 1999 for his "Quanta Live" album.

He founded Onda Azul (Blue Wave) in 1990. The nongovernmental group promotes environmental education and the preservation of river and sea ecological systems in Brazil.

On the Net:

Gilberto Gil Web site: http://www.gilbertogil.com.br/

nasty nick#2
Dec 18th, 2002, 02:08 PM
A pop star to become cultur minister hmmm, can that be a good thing? maybe if he can help solve some of the problems that exist in Brazil.

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:29 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38605000/jpg/_38605377_gilberto_300.jpg
Gilberti Gil has gone from exile to government minister

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38400000/jpg/_38400429_lula150afp.jpg
The leftist Lula won power in October

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38605000/jpg/_38605381_gilberto_150.jpg
Gil has become an champion for black rights in Brazil

Wednesday, 18 December, 2002, 14:20 GMT
Former exile made Brazilian minister

Gilberto Gil, the Brazilian musician once arrested and imprisoned by the country's military government, has accepted an offer to become the country's next culture minister.
Gil was offered the post by President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the winner of the country's recent elections.

The 60-year-old is one of the leaders of the Tropicalia movement, which fuses jazz with samba, salsa and the Brazilian bossanova sound.

He has collaborated with reggae singer Jimmy Cliff and The Wailers, Bob Marley's legendary former band.

Gil is the most prominent member of the Green Party, who are sharing power with Mr Lula's Worker's Party.

The leftist government takes power on 1 January.

In a news conference, Gil said he has not yet set himself goals for his new job.

"My first task is to listen inside myself and listen outside," he said.

Gil has already met with the president-elect over the job. After the meeting he said could not decide whether to take the post because he was not sure he could stick to the $26,000 (Ģ17,300) maximum salary.

Mr Lula has given Gil dispensation to earn money from his music while he holds the post.

"I can work from Monday through Friday at the ministry and do shows on Saturday and Sunday," he said.

Gil is one of the biggest stars in Brazil's music scene, and won best world music record, in the 1998 Grammys, for the album Quanta Ao Vivo.

His international success has included tours in the US and Europe and appearances at the Montreaux Jazz Festival.

But in the 60s his exotic, revolutionary blend of music was seen as provocative and inflammatory by the country's military junta.

He was placed in solitary confinement while the government decided his fate.

Black rights

He then spent three years in exile in the UK, playing with artists including Pink Floyd, Yes, The Incredible String Band and Rod Stewart.

Since his return to Brazil, and a deal with WEA since 1977, Gil has recorded many albums, the most successful being 1982's Gente Precisa Ver O Luar.

Gil has been an outspoken social commentator and has used his music to further black rights in Brazil.

He has been a member of parliament for the port city of Salvador since the mid 90s.

CHOCO
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Now I hope Pelé is named to an important position also. :)

CHOCO
Dec 19th, 2002, 10:59 AM
CONGRATS GILBERTO!!! :)

nasty nick#2
Dec 19th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by CHOCO
Now I hope Pelé is named to an important position also. :)

I hope not cause Pelé is a ignorant. I don't know much about Gilberto Gil except that he's a Musician. But i do think that these kind of imporant positions should not be given to people cause of their popularity. Maybe Gilberto will be good, who knows? but he's no politician for sure.

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
Maybe Gilberto will be good, who knows? but he's no politician for sure.

And should that be a BAD thing????? :eek:
Like if politicians knew something more than us "normal people" :rolleyes:

And Gilberto is not a pop star. That sentece sucks. It makes people think he is a sort of Luis Miguel or something like that. He is an intelectual, a man who was engaged on many of our people fights for freedom during the dictators period.

Oh, and btw, he IS a politician. Try doing some research before you speak. Its not the first time you type about something you dont have a clue about.

nasty nick#2
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by hitman

And Gilberto is not a pop star. That sentece sucks. It makes people think he is a sort of Luis Miguel or something like that. He is an intelectual, a man who was engaged on many of our people fights for freedom during the dictators period.

Oh, and btw, he IS a politician. Try doing some research before you speak. Its not the first time you type about something you dont have a clue about.

OH shut up, i know pretty well what im talking about. It's simply that many people that don't have a clue about politics become one cause of fame these days. He might be good, cause he seems to be a good man, but beeing a politician is not the same thing as beeing a popular singer.

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:29 PM
And you tell ME to shut up?? LOL

Alright, mister insider. Keep it like you wish. Iīm sure you would know a lot more than me anyway.......
I just live in Brazil. That means nothing

And again, he aint a pop singer. And AGAIN, he is a politician.

nasty nick#2
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:33 PM
I know you're just one of many retarded brazilians but i thought you were capable of reading atleast LOL.

"Brazilian pop star Gilberto Gil leaves a press conference in a hotel lobby in downtown Sao Paulo, Brazil"

A pop star turned politician maybe, smartass :D

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:40 PM
I know you're just one of many retarded brazilians but i thought you were capable of reading atleast LOL.

"Brazilian pop star Gilberto Gil leaves a press conference in a hotel lobby in downtown Sao Paulo, Brazil"

A pop star turned politician maybe, smartass :D

Alright, I told you. Youīre very smart for believing in everything you read. I wonīt have a discussion with you, because I donīt wanna get dirty.
Itīs not the first time you insert your whole head in a bucket of shit, confessing you have NO KNOWLEDGE whatsoever about the subject you wish to discuss.

And to make it worse you come up with that ignorant first sentence that shouldnīt even be repeated.

Just come to Brazil some day, to have civilized debates with some of these "many retards". I bet that around 80% of them would make you look absolutely stupid. Take care. And wear that BEAUTIFUL SENTENCE of yours as a sig, so everyone can see how fucked up you are...

:wavey:

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:42 PM
What? Can't pick on people in real life hitman? So you have to come on the board to do this? Why bother? :o

And yeah don't believe everything you read. I think you should have taken that advice personally :o

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:47 PM
What the hell are you talking about Posh?
And I believe that subject shouldnt be posted on the board. If you have something to talk to me, do it through PM, or start a thread for it.

Im not picking on people, even. I dont like when I see people criticize things they dont know about, except for whatīs written in an article. Thatīs not enough information.
And this was not personal, although you for some reason think it was.

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
OH i didn't think it was personal. I just thought that it was a bit hilarious, that just because Nick was just referring to the information in the article, yet you seem to think he is a no-brain moron who posts shit. He was just stating what he read in the article. Did you take his comments as an offense or what?

nasty nick#2
Alright, I told you. Youīre very smart for believing in everything you read. I wonīt have a discussion with you, because I donīt wanna get dirty.
Itīs not the first time you insert your whole head in a bucket of shit, confessing you have NO KNOWLEDGE whatsoever about the subject you wish to discuss.

And to make it worse you come up with that ignorant first sentence that shouldnīt even be repeated.

Just come to Brazil some day, to have civilized debates with some of these "many retards". I bet that around 80% of them would make you look absolutely stupid. Take care. And wear that BEAUTIFUL SENTENCE of yours as a sig, so everyone can see how fucked up you are...

:wavey:

I have family in Brazil so i know the situation, thank you. But im sure if 80% of the brazilians are on your level it won't make much sense for discussions. Oh well, since you are so funny you'll be added on my sig too :D

hitman
Sorry, I meant it shouldnt be posted in the board, inside a thread thats used to discuss something else...

And dont try to make me believe this is alright:
"I know you're just one of many retarded brazilians but i thought you were capable of reading atleast "

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:53 PM
No, I didnt get offended with what anyone said. Look at my first sentence. Theres no name calling there:

I was stating that if he was no politician, it would be all the better. But he is, registered in a party and everything. He is a man of culture, and a singer as well.
And I also said that this was not the first time Nick wanted to talk about something based on little information about it. On the whole incident of your confession thread, he jumped in to judge me and Steam, even if he had never talked to any of us, or even been here when the whole thing was happening.

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Oh, and I dont recall calling anyone a "no-brain moron" :confused:

Not even yourself. Or anybody else. That is not me, at all.

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Well if you read an article that is suppose to be news, you assume the info inside should be correct. Is Nick suppose to know that the info is in fact false? AP is a pretty good resource for news. His comments about Gil was obviously by what he read in the article. Yet, you are taking offense at someone from the net who is calling you a retarded brazilian? why? Is his comments about you that offensive and hurt your life so badly that you have to retailiate back?

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Posh
Well if you read an article that is suppose to be news, you assume the info inside should be correct. Is Nick suppose to know that the info is in fact false? AP is a pretty good resource for news. His comments about Gil was obviously by what he read in the article. Yet, you are taking offense at someone from the net who is calling you a retarded brazilian? why? Is his comments about you that offensive and hurt your life so badly that you have to retailiate back?

Iīm still wondering what you have to do with this subject??

And lol @ what you said. Look from who that comes.

I was not retaliating. I was just stating my opinion.

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:57 PM
And if that is the case, isn't it not true hitman, that you shouldn't believe everything that you read? Yet you read Nick's posts like you have to believe it and correct it.

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
OH I have nothing to do with this, I'm just stating my opinion as well. I do believe this is a message board and I am allowed to read this stuff.

hitman
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Posh
And if that is the case, isn't it not true hitman, that you shouldn't believe everything that you read? Yet you read Nick's posts like you have to believe it and correct it.

I donīt know if I understand this post at all. Iīll try though

If you meant that I shoulnīt believe all I read. I DONīT!

But when someone writes a message on a message board, as a rule, they are saying the truth, and what is stated there is an opinion. So thereīs nothing similar with the article, which stated a FACT, not an opinion. And that fact was not acurate. Just that.

Of course, there are some random flaws to that rule, and some people DONīT write what they really think, but thatīs not my problem, is it?

And please, I was not wanting to make it personal with nick, and want even less to make it personal with you. Letīs leave this like it is now

nasty nick#2
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:05 PM
What has Stream to do with the subject hitman? It was u that mentioned him not me. But since both of u have the brains of a squirrel you're a nice couple.

What's the point of a article on a message board if ppl can't post their oppinion, huh? Yeah i bet there's something about u brazilians we don't understand :D

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:06 PM
okay case close. I'm tired.

nasty nick#2
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM
*Yawn* This guy is almost as funny as watching paint dry :o

Jetta
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM
well anyways thanks for the fun while my coffee was brewing :wavey:

CHOCO
Dec 19th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Singers and athletes are citizens as well. Matter of fact, many of them have had successful careers as politicians.

Monique
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:08 AM
That's interesting news, CHOCO, music wise Gilberto is huge in Brazil, it would probably be the equivalent of having someone like Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan as the American minister of culture or similar...Of course that's no guarantee he will be good for the job, but I assume he has a vast knowledge of the Brazilian cultural scene... Oh, and I might be mistaken, but wasn't Pele some kind of sports minister or something? Hitman, can you help us over here?

Steam
Dec 20th, 2002, 02:32 AM
What has Stream to do with the subject hitman? It was u that mentioned him not me. But since both of u have the brains of a squirrel you're a nice couple.

Lets see here, a person who gets roped in by an obvious fake weeks after she was exposed says I have the brains of a squirrel. What does that say about you? I don't think they have split the atom far enough for me to properly gauge your brain power. But considering the majority of your running buddies on here that is par for the course.

nasty nick#2
Dec 20th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Steam
Lets see here, a person who gets roped in by an obvious fake weeks after she was exposed says I have the brains of a squirrel. What does that say about you? I don't think they have split the atom far enough for me to properly gauge your brain power. But considering the majority of your running buddies on here that is par for the course.

Ohh did lil Hitman call his big bro for rescue, so cute :p

You gonna try to frame me too, smartass? It's so funny to see how ppl from Message Boards can think they are so damn smart...

Oh well i let you're memorable quote say the rest. *Yawn* zzzzzzzzzzz....

CHOCO
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:12 PM
:)