PDA

View Full Version : TONI BRAXTON EXPLODES: I DON'T SING LIKE J.LO. . .

CHOCO
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
TONI BRAXTON EXPLODES: I DON'T SING LIKE J.LO. . .
December 16, 2002 Provided by: Enquirer

GRAMMY WINNER Toni Braxton says Jennifer Lopez is a fine actress and businesswoman -- but she asks: "How can anyone compare my voice to J.Lo's?"
Veteran songbird Toni Braxton exploded after a writer dared to compare her singing to J.Lo's -- and she put down the sexy Latina as a second-rate singer.

The normally easygoing performer has suffered a series of setbacks with style and grace -- including bankruptcy, a very public breakup with her fiancÚ, and nasty false rumors about her sexuality.

But when the six-- time Grammy winner learned about the comparison to J.Lo, she became furious.

"Toni said the writer needed to get his hearing checked!" revealed a close family friend. "She asked, 'How could anyone possibly put me and Jennifer Lopez in the same sentence?

"'It's such bull---- !'

"She is furious that anyone would dare to compare her voice to J.Lo's.

"Toni yelled, 'I don't need $2 million worth of studio equipment to sing!

"'Jennifer can act and she's one hell of a businesswoman -- but she cannot touch my voice!'

"Toni doesn't have anything personally against Jennifer but she won't allow this to go unchallenged.

"She took offense because it makes her look like she's trying to ride on J.Lo's popularity, but she doesn't need it.

"She said she's been around A LOT longer than J.Lo and doesn't 'need to hold onto her tail to be heard!'"

Toni is now happily married and expecting her second child with husband Keri Lewis.

Concluded the family friend: "Toni says if there is one thing she's arrogant about it's her voice."

BCP
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Though Toni could have been a little more diplomatic, she has a fair point.........lol!

CC
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:40 PM
I would be furious too!

CHOCO
Dec 17th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Toni is pretty feisty these days. :)

Barrie_Dude
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Actually, Toni Braxton actually has "Talent"! I wonder if J-Lo knows how to spell "Talent"?

jrm
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:28 PM
and why don't they say JLO sounds like Toni

Barrie_Dude
Dec 17th, 2002, 05:33 PM
JLo would need talent to sound like Toni!:rolleyes: :p

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:15 PM
OMG, what disrespect. How on god's green earth can anyone make such a mistake? J-Lo is hot (so is Toni for that matter) but J-Lo cant sing worth shit and she CANT act. A reviewer said she is stiff in all her films and I agree. How dare they...:rolleyes:

Barrie_Dude
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Freethinker82
OMG, what disrespect. How on god's green earth can anyone make such a mistake? J-Lo is hot (so is Toni for that matter) but J-Lo cant sing worth shit and she CANT act. A reviewer said she is stiff in all her films and I agree. How dare they...:rolleyes:

But I gather her main talent is in the bedroom!:rolleyes: :p ;)

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
But I gather her main talent is in the bedroom!:rolleyes: :p ;)

Hehe, I dont doubt it...:o

jrm
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:14 PM
do you remember the joke chris rock made at music or movie mtv awards "jennifer lopez came in two limos. One for herself and one for her butt"

CC
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:36 PM
jrm, I like Sarah McClachlan too. Is she ever coming back?

GrandSlammed
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Diplomacy be damned up in here!

Sound off with the praises of Jennifer Lopez's booty beauty( and she really does not make the top twenty in that catergory) all you desire to, but when you start trying to put here in there with the REAL songbirds, like Braxton, don't be surprised when those sweet notes Braxton is known to hit, turn into LAVA on your ass. I don't blame the woman for getting upset, and letting the "sistah" in her come out.;)

Lopez IS NOT a real singer. It's an insult and it's a backhand slap in Braxton's face to compare Lopez to her. Lopez would have to agree on that. WTF!

Seles_Beckham
Dec 17th, 2002, 08:21 PM
I think that J.lo is selling more CD's than Toni ??
Someone know?? and what abaout the charts??

Serendy Willick
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Toni has more talent on her middle finger than Jennifer Lopez has in her entire body.

Rae Q.
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Toni rocks! :D And it's awesome that she's secure enough with herself to not hate on Jennifer but at the same time being honest about how the comment bothered her. It was such a dumb thing to say but I totally think they were trying to instigate something by asking Toni a question like that. :rolleyes:

Lol@Grand Slammed and Luci. You guys crack me up. :)

Seles_Beckham
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Jennifer Lopez rocks:)

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 12:26 AM
I love Toni's talent and her as a person. Also, she's from my area.

But I detect some resentment behind her words against Jennifer. Because Toni has been singing on the world stage longer than Jennifer, but hasn't been the commercial success than J.LO. I think there is room for both actually. :)

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 04:54 AM
ummm...joy... Ricky Martin, Mark Anthony, Chayanne, Olga Tanon and Jerry Rivera are some of the other superstars that are Puerto Ricans. So J.LO is the latest in a long line of superstars from the island of enchantment. ;)

Becool
Dec 18th, 2002, 05:06 AM
LMAO Toni! You go girl!

harloo
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:30 AM
LOL@joy. Too funny.

CHOCO? The Enquirer? Can you find a more credible source? LOL.

Anyways, I think we all know Toni has real talent. Jlo's whole new album is crap. I heard it and I was just amazed at how weak her voice sounded. What joy says is true, because Toni's videos were never played on mtv. J-ho has been able to get that market and it has everything to do with her arse. The girl just cannot sing. She is a pretty good actress, but her voice is horrible even with studio covering up her shaky vocals.

rated_next
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:39 AM
She's envious of Jennifer's current success.

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 07:12 AM
lol@harloo :) what can I say...I was grasping for straws today and that article caught my attention. :)

You've got to give J.LO her props for being successful and working hard in the music industry. Of course she doesn't have the voice of many singers out there. However, she understands that she has to strike while she's hot!!! She's doing what any artist in her position would do, take advantage of opportunities. :)

Seles_Beckham
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:31 PM
I think that Toni is saying all that because J.lo has/ is having more succes than her.
Numer one movie this week ( 19 milinons) and a CD that is doing goog not great but good tha's why.

Jarrett
Dec 18th, 2002, 03:59 PM
I think if anyone actually looked up the stats on who sold more, Toni Braxton would actually be ahead. Toni was HUGE a few years ago with her last CD. She had so many hits off that one cd and all their videos were playing on MTV and VHI nonstop. Unbreak my heart, You're Makin' Me High, another one I can't think up right now. All I remember is her dancing in a VERY hot revealing silver (tina turner- like) dress and seducing an old boyfriend to show this other girl he was trash.

rated_next
Dec 18th, 2002, 04:51 PM
jarrett: he wasn't man enough for me ;) - her last hit

her current hit, "hit the driveway" is doing pathetic

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 18th, 2002, 05:23 PM
If anyone compared my singing talent to J.Ho, I'd jump off a fucking cliff. Toni had all rights to be upset. J.ho howls, not sing. My most memorable J.Ho moment was her trying to sing "Alive" on Oprah. I nearly died laughing, that as the most horrible thing ever!!!!! Ugh!!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Dec 18th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by rated_next
jarrett: he wasn't man enough for me ;) - her last hit

her current hit, "hit the driveway" is doing pathetic

You always have something dumb to say. And if you want to continue to make a fool of yourself feel free, the name of the song is "hit the freeway" and it is doing very well...because you dont know does not make it so. :rolleyes:

lizchris
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Toni Braxton has every right to be angry. Not only is she a great singer who has been around since 1992, she is a six time Grammy winner, in addition to the fact that she seems to be a great wife and mother (she is expecting her second boy in March). That is something J-No can't compete with, regardless of how many album she sells.

jrm
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:07 PM
my love don't cost a thing - that's not what ben will be saying if they break up

i'm still jenny from the block - not what people were saying when she arrived in bronx in fancy car

jrm
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:08 PM
did toni get her grammies back

Coetzer Fan
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Toni Braxton is the best !!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

lizchris
Dec 18th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Orginally posted by jrm
my love don't cost a thing - that's not what ben will be saying if they break up

It is going to cost her $15 million to get rid of her second husbnad

i'm still jenny from the block - not what people were saying when she arrived in bronx in fancy ca

The way she operates, it's more like Jenny's been around the block

CHOCO
Dec 18th, 2002, 07:31 PM
:)

harloo
Dec 19th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Well if your album is 8.96 when it comes out, of course it's gonna sell more. J-lo, Ashanti, and a few others albums all were $7.99-$8.99. Not tapes, CD's. I had some $5 music cash certificates when J-lo's cd came out I wasn't even willing to pay 3.96 for the album. It was not worth it.

Joy, I also feel like J lo made it from being a Fly girl on living color to what she is today. She had a lot of drive, however I just cannot excuse these type of artists with no singing talent. I would think she would at least get a vocal coach, but she still sounds like crap. Her voice really came through on the song she did with Nas. I mean you could hear the shakiness. One dj on the radio even said the beat was knocking, but they just need someone else to sing the song. That was scandalous, but true.

rated_next
Dec 19th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by TopShotta
You always have something dumb to say. And if you want to continue to make a fool of yourself feel free, the name of the song is "hit the freeway" and it is doing very well...because you dont know does not make it so. :rolleyes:

Let's compare:

Airwaves:
Jenny From The Block - #2
Hit The Freeway - not in it

Billboards:
Jenny From The Block - #3
Hit The Freeway - around #80

WOW! Toni is doing really well - and R&B countdowns do not count, since ALL songs are not included in the countdown.

And if the song was doing well, I would have known the name of the song.