PDA

View Full Version : The longstanding animosity between the Cree and Jews boils over!

disposablehero
Dec 17th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Aboriginal groups try to distance themselves from anti-Semitic remarks
Last Updated Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:18:41
SASKATOON - The RCMP has been called in to investigate remarks made by the former head of the Assembly of First Nations and Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations praising Hitler for the Holocaust.

David Ahenakew

David Ahenakew applauded Hitler for, in his words, the six million Jews "fried" in the Holocaust.

There is no question Ahenakew, a war veteran, a prominent native statesmen and a distinguished member of the Order of Canada, made the remarks defending the Holocaust.

"That's how Hitler came in. That he was going to make damn sure that Jews weren't going to take over. That's why he fried six million of those guys."

The remarks were made to a reporter for the Saskatoon StarPhoenix after a profanity-laced speech last Friday attacking Asians and Jews.

Reaction from across the country has been fast a furious.

Jewish leaders and politicians condemned Ahenakew, saying he should be stripped of his Order of Canada.

His own people are calling for him to apologize and bow out of public life.

"He has to be made and held accountable for those statements," said the current head of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations, Perry Bellegarde.

There was also a quick reaction from Matthew Coon Come, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations. "We regret these insulting comments directed at our Jewish brothers and sisters who have in fact supported First Nations in many of our struggles," he said.

Canadian Alliance Leader Stephen Harper said Ahenakew's comments were "way beyond expressing a vile political opinion."

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien was also upset about the remarks. He called Ahenakew's comments "completely unacceptable."

The Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) called for a hate-crimes investigation. CJC president Keith Landy said Ahenakew should be kicked out of the Order of Canada.

Landy said the congress will ask Governor General Adrienne Clarkson for a review of the requirements for members of the Order of Canada.

Benjamin Goldstein, a Saskatoon judge and president of the Shir Hadash Synagogue, said he was deeply saddened by the remarks.

"Our brothers and sisters who are aboriginal, how terrible they must feel to have somebody who's a leader of theirs make such mad, insane comments," said Goldstein.

Bellegarde said he would personally tell the Jewish community that the FSIN doesn't share its former chief's opinions.

Saskatchewan Premier Lorne Calvert is also outraged. "They do not reflect the views of Saskatchewan or First Nations people in our province," he said.

"We're referring this matter this to the RCMP for investigation to see whether or not charges should be laid," said Saskatchewan Attorney General Chris Axworthy.

That criminal investigation will take a while to complete.

On Tuesday, Ahenakew will face his own community. The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations has called a news conference and aboriginal leaders have made it clear they want him to apologize and face the consequences of his actions.

CHOCO
Dec 17th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Wow...that's a damn shame that he would say something like that in a public forum. One would think in this age, that people would be more sensitive to people's feelings about a sad and horrific event in the history of the world.

What is going on with these public idiotic utterances? First Trent Locke now David Ahenakew. I hope the guy realizes his mistake and apologize for it.

gmt
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Good grief. I think that apologies won't be enough. Just (hopefully) those shameful statements won't be endorsed by other Cree people and it won't turn into hatred between communities. What other signs has there been of the "longstanding animosity"? I wasn't aware of it.

i-girl
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
DH, what is this "Order of Canada" and why do they hate us?

King Lindsay
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:33 PM
The Order of Canada is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a citizen of this country. I think.

Pureracket
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:35 PM
I hate reading news like this. :(

i-girl
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:47 PM
thank KL, and thank Clocker. :)

~ The Leopard ~
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:55 PM
(1) First we'll let him keep his award. He must have got it for something. I don't believe in stripping people of awards that they've earned at the time, whatever they do later.

(2) Then we'll let Noga shoot him. I hate people like this. :fiery:

i-girl
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:12 PM
I'm a really bad shot. it took me twice as much time to pass target finals in boot camp than it took the other girls. but I did get it right at the end. and it was an M-16, these things are damn heavy! I would do better with a gun. but I would like to understand what the hell have I done to this guy and why he hates me, before I shoot him. I mean, he's Indian, right? what did we do to them:eek: ?