PDA

View Full Version : Serena shoots for fourth straight Grand Slam

Serendy Willick
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:45 PM
GO SERENA! Good luck my baby, go make some history!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Serena Shoots For Fourth Straight Slam

By Adrianna Outlaw
12/13/2002

In her last appearance in Australia, Serena Williams hobbled out of the Australian Open on a severely sprained ankle before she struck a single shot. In her next appearance Down Under, the top-ranked Williams will arrive at the Australian Open shooting for a “Serena Slam.”

During the 2002 season, the 21-year-old American was so commanding she dropped just two sets in 21 matches en route to the Roland Garros, Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles. She defeated older sister Venus in all three Grand Slam finals and ascended to the top spot in the rankings for the first time after her Wimbledon win. Now Serena is eager to win the only Slam to elude her.

“My goal right now is the Australian Open,” Serena said. “Both Venus and I want that one as neither of us have won it. Maybe I want it more as I want to do the ‘Serena Slam.’ “

Neither sister has ever advanced to the Australian Open final. The Williams sisters registered their best results at Melbourne Park two years ago where both were beaten in succession by Martina Hingis as Serena fell in the quarterfinals, 6-2, 3-6, 8-6, and Venus suffered one of the worst Slam setbacks of her career with a 6-1, 6-1 loss in the semifinals.

The Australian Open starts on January 13th and Serena and Venus will enter the tournament as the favorites to reach their fourth straight Grand Slam final.

Rae Q.
Dec 19th, 2002, 08:30 PM
I can't wait! Go Serena! :bounce: