PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Movies

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Those kind of Movies that are suppost to be good but when u see them they are just crap.

It has to be Traffic for me, They said it was so good. But i think it was way to long, annoying and very Messy. Michael Caine was such a bad parent too, i was so dissapointed he didn't beat up that pimp that raped his daughter, hey like De Niro in Taxi Driver. They call it master piece i call it BullShit.

Any others you know that sucked?

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
The Lord of the Rings
The Thin Red Line

Both were boring as hell.

mala18
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
All Tom Cruise movies are totally overrated:p

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM
michael caine was in traffic? :confused:

i read so many good reviews of minority report and it was really not very good at all, and the ending was ATROCIOUS! :fiery:

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
I meant Michael Douglas.

Pearl Harbour was bad too, but most War movies are quite overrated these days. It's always about the poor american's, they couldn't really care less how many innocent ppl that died in Japan.

Josh
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:15 PM
*Yawn* Harry Potter :rolleyes:

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:16 PM
i don't think pearl harbour was overrated. everybody thought it sucked big time, which it did.

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Let's start another LOTR<->HP fight! :bounce:

matthias
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
i would say
"6th sense"
i sleeped in cinema

boring like hell

Josh
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Also American Beauty ugh....

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Life is Beautiful was good, but i do understand italian too.

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Josh
Also American Beauty ugh....

OMG! I thought that movie was brilliant.

Josh
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Time Machine must be the worst movie ever!:D

Maajken
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
American Beauty was excellent!

LOTR i thought was ok but definitely overrated

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM
american beauty was great! :D the same channel showed it twice this weekend :eek: :o ;)

Pearl Harbor sucked big time.... :mad: i knew i should have watched Tomb Raider instead! :mad:

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:58 PM
I like American Beauty too :D

I can always rely on Kevin Spacey.

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Stinger
i knew i should have watched Tomb Raider instead! :mad:

no, not really, because that was terrible as well. :o

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Beat
no, not really, because that was terrible as well. :o

She's a Angelina fan ;)

Nacho
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Titanic... I don't really think it deserved 11 Oscars...

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
She's a Angelina fan ;)

duh! :angel:

and TOT is right, how could i forget about titanic?! what an awful mess of a trite and tired movie... :rolleyes:

Halardfan
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:35 PM
As people have hinted there is a distinction between bad movies that have done great box office...there are loads...and critically aclaimed movies that weren't up to much...

Box office hits that really sucked:

Top Gun, Pretty Woman, Titanic, Scary Movie, Pearl Harbor, to name but few...

Critical Successes that are rubbish:

Any Ken Loach film, (Nothing but depressing, endlessly, hoplessly depressing) Titanic again.

Ill try to think of more.

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:37 PM
I forgot one really bad. Blair Witch Project....they even made a second part :o

Pretty Woman was too unrealistic...the older i get the more i dislike it.

irma
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:41 PM
oh no I had a different theory at the sixth sense, but I agree that when I saw it the second time it didn't make sense anymore;)

selesrules
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Pulp Fiction :o

matthias
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:27 PM
From Dask til Dawn - overrated - it is a crappy B-Movie

Josh
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Shakespeare in Love

:rolleyes:

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ba
Top Gun

true, not an overrated movie - JUST THE FUCKING WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!!!!! :mad: oh look, tom cruise is in it :rolleyes:

fleemke³
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by The Visored Boy
I would say "Life is Beautiful"; maybe it's just me as most people appreciate and some cry during that movie, but for me it's boring, boring, boring. I don't like Roberto Benigni so it doesn't help.

Omg you have just a lack of cultural luggage :eek: La vita è bela is one of the best films ever made! The thin line between the drama of the Hollocaust and the humour of Roberto Benigni is so brilliant!

And American beauty and Pulp Fiction were also pieces of art!!

irma
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:46 PM
analyse this
the english patient
even the titanic (and I like that movie)
as good as it gets

fleemke³
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:52 PM
fleemke², if you would have a "spelling luggage" you would know it's "Benigni", not Bengini. And his humor is boring, boring, boring.

sorry I'm human => I make mistakes :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

veryborednow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Titanic - the script clunked, so did the special effects, so did Leo Di Caprio's 'acting'

The Blair Witch Project - When the trailers said Americans were fainting, it was either dur to a lack of sugar, or through boredom... just wasn't scary nevermind the scariest film ever.

By the time Pearl harbour came over here everyone knew it was crap so I wouldn't called that hype.

Star Wars: Episode 1
... and we have a winner. Pfffff

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:13 PM
OMG some of my fav movies are named here: From dusk till dawn, Pulp fiction, traffic, la vita e bella, LOTR, ... Pfft no tatse those WTAworlders :p

One of the most overrated movies: Twelve monkeys. And the blair witch project was one awful, boring movie. Oh and Schindler's list (well almost all Spielberg movies really)

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Hmm let me guess, you're jewish and u took offence.

Did u like Traffic, seriously?

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM
NN, you're referring to me I assume? ;) Me, jewish? No. I just thought that it was one boring movie that lasted way too long.

And traffic is one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years.

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:23 PM
The first comment was reffred to Visored Boy, but the one about Traffic to you. I wonder what you though was so good about it.

Maajken
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:29 PM
I agree with Joris. Traffic, La vita e bella, Pulp Fiction and other ones like the English patient, As good as it gets etc are all on my fave movies list. Theyre classics and if you can truly appreciate a good movie (one where you dont need to laugh every 5 secs or one that isnt totally filled with action but actually has a plot) theres no way you cannot like them.

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Oh ok I thought you were referring to me about not liking Schindler's list ;) :o

Traffic: I'm terrible at explaining why I like or dislike a movie. I just liked the concept of the movie. The story was quite ordinary but the filming/scenario was very good IMO. Plus some great actors, especially Benicio Del Torro. He was simply amazing (and an oscar well deserved!)

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Still u didn't answer my question Visiored boy.

Crow, Del Toro's mostly good in his movies.... The filming Scenario was good, but too long and annoying for my taste.

Snatch was quite bad though, i heard so much ahbout it but got a lil dissapointed when i saw it on video.

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:40 PM
O some other disappointments: Speed and The matrix (I just stopped going to movies with Keanu Reeves in it).

Thanks Maeike :kiss: You have great taste! :D

nasty nick #2: if a scenario is good, it is never too long. It's just a matter of different taste I guess ;) And you're right about Del Toro, he's great. He was quite good in Fear and loathing in Las Vegas too (two of my fav actors in one movie can't be bad ;))

gmt
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Funny, I thought that LOTR was rather underrated actually :)
I really didn't find Titanic very good.

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Josh, stop putting down my favourite movies :fiery:

I loved Snatch, thought it was pretty funny.

Titanic was a disappointment, I agree (as much as I like Kate Winslet).

E. Blackadder
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Tine, do you always say things 4 or 5 times :o

STAR WARS

fleemke³
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:16 PM
LOL, no I don't see why would someone be offended by this Disney-like movie. I wasn't offended, I was bored.

If you rate a film you must look furder then you're onw taste! Ok if you don't like Benigni, no probs with that but the thin line between humour and horror it that movie is pure art! And Disney, with all respect, doesn't even come close to La vita è bella ..

deftman
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:30 PM
How can you guys forget the most over-rated movie of all time?

FORREST GUMP!!!

Other movies include

TITANIC
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
GLADIATOR :fiery::fiery: (What was the Academy thinking??)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND (Sentimental Mediocrity :p)

Barrie_Dude
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Any Movie with Adam Sandler

Mike Meyers recent movies

Chevy Chases Vacation movies

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Forrest Gump is another brilliant movie, funny and moving at the same time.

Double Fault
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Harry Potter. I found it very hard to actually stay awake in the cinema. It was too long and so very BORING. imo.

fleemke³
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:10 PM
If I go further than my own taste, I would say that it's a good movie, but overrated. I don't think it's a "classic" or "pure art".

Ok that's it .. I know my English isn't that good but I would like to see you write Dutch or another language.

I studied 4 whole years and know more about movies than the most people here and i'm open for other vision ... but not from people who can't say anything better than that you make mistakes in writing english :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Serendy Willick
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:34 PM
1. The English Patient (I nearly became a patient, that damn movie was sooooo long)

2. Titanic (corny as hell)

3. The Blair Witch Project (I walked out of the theater throwing up and with a headache, Nuff said)

4. Pearl Harbor ( I shouldve asked for my money back)

5. And last but not least (as much as it pains me to say this and as much as I love Ice Cube, The Friday after next (They just keep getting worse and worse, none of the Friday sequels are as good as the origninal. Ice Cube needs to get on the phone pronto to Chris Tucker.

Maajken
Dec 16th, 2002, 08:44 PM
If I go further than my own taste, I would say that it's a good movie, but overrated. I don't think it's a "classic" or "pure art".
how big of you to tackle someone's spelling when it's not even their native language :rolleyes:

irma
Dec 16th, 2002, 08:55 PM
I found la bella a vita a great movie
the humour had a sad reason and it was not cheap wich it easily could have been if it had been a bad movie. imho!

Mercury Rising
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:21 PM
La vita e bella, Forrest Gump, Matrix I think are all great movies.

But Traffic bored me, also Blair Witch Project and Pulp Fiction. That last one I watched a long time ago, so I think I should see it again to have a real opinion about it.

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:29 PM
It was so long ago i wached Pulp Fiction, but it was kinda slow at times i remember.

Natural Born Killers, sucked big time btw.

Sam L
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Maybe Titanic?

I think Kate Winslet saved it.

irma
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:03 PM
no captain iglo saved it!

GoDominique
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:00 PM
There's something about Mary :rolleyes:
The 6th sense :rolleyes:
Se7en. :rolleyes:
The Shawshank Redemption. :rolleyes:

and many more.

But I like Titanic. :o

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
There's something about Mary :rolleyes:
The 6th sense :rolleyes:
Se7en. :rolleyes:
The Shawshank Redemption. :rolleyes:

and many more.

But I like Titanic. :o

You have a bad taste man :o

GoDominique
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:06 PM
I don't say that all these movies are bad (OK, the first 2 ARE bad), just that they are overrated.

OK, Titanic is overrated too. 10 Oscars would have been enough. ;)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:18 PM
titanic... blah! leonardo stinks.... lol except in the Basketball diaries though!

and yeah.. I'm an Angelina fan! and proud of it! :angel:

Forrest Gump is one of my all time fave!
Matrix too!

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Shawshank Redemption was great!

Never liked the Matrix, i dunno if it might have been that i never understood it :o

GoDominique
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Shawshank Redemption was quite good, but certainly not no. 2 of all time, like it's rated on www.imdb.com. :rolleyes:

A nice fairy-tale, nothing more or less.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:26 PM
lol nick, a friend had to go through the matrix with me to get me to understand it! but after thinking REALLY hard, you'll get it, and it's quite awsome :D

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:28 PM
The next Matrix is out soon. How the heck will i understand that one if i didn't get the first. I don't wanna see it again :o

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:36 PM
then you probably shouldn't see matrix 2 and 3! :p

Colin B
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:45 PM
'Mission Impossible'.

'Eyes Wide Shut'.

'Holy Smoke'.

Any American gangster/mafia type films (with the exception of 'The Godfather').

Almost any film with 'II' in the title. The worst of all being 'Speed II'.

jrm
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:51 PM
There were some movies i was looking farward to see but they turned out to be quite doll:

XXX (as much as i like Vin i was really dissapointed)

My big fat greek wedding ( i liked the movie but all the fuss and trailer promised much more)

Shrek (can't quite understand how could this be such a successful movie - i preferd Monsters Inc.)

Red dragon (without leading lady this movie didn't do for me)

Pupf fiction ( everyine praised this one ... why ?

Kiwi_Boy
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:53 PM
blair witch project,titanic for me.also i think the matrix seemed to me a big fuss over nothing (same with all that star wars crap).....yawn.

Berlin_Calling
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Spiderman sucked.
Every Star Wars is too overrated. I find all of them boring. :rolleyes:

jrm
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Christopher
Spiderman sucked.
Every Star Wars is too overrated. I find all of them boring. :rolleyes:

yes i quite disappointed with spiderman aswell:confused:

Celeste
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Forrest Gump was awful. I also never saw the "brilliance" in "American Beauty" either. Maybe I don't know decent movies, but I didn't exactly hate these movies, but I didn't like them either.

Master Lu
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Titanic has to be the numero uno on my list.

Why is everyone bashing Shakespare in Love?! :sad: I loved it.

Let's see...

Well, I can't think of anything else that would fit the category, though I'm sure there's a bunch. I won't even go into all the films I hate... Or I will. :p I absolutely positively abhore any and all movies with Austin Powers type of humor, and all the Chris Rocks / Adam Sandlers and co in the world. They make my skin crawl. Shakespeare in Love was my kind of humor. ;)

And, yes, I know, I can't spell Shakespeare. Sue me. He'll always be Shpeksir for me - Baconcheese in my native language. ;)

jrm
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Master Lu
Titanic has to be the numero uno on my list.

Why is everyone bashing Shakespare in Love?! :sad: I loved it.

Let's see...

Well, I can't think of anything else that would fit the category, though I'm sure there's a bunch. I won't even go into all the films I hate... Or I will. :p I absolutely positively abhore any and all movies with Austin Powers type of humor, and all the Chris Rocks / Adam Sandlers and co in the world. They make my skin crawl. Shakespeare in Love was my kind of humor. ;)

And, yes, I know, I can't spell Shakespeare. Sue me. He'll always be Shpeksir for me - Baconcheese in my native language. ;)

adam sandler's characters always have such a low IQ - can quite understand how could waterboy was such a hit

Car Key Boi
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM
i agree with a lot of the entries in this thread, especially LOTR and anything with Tom Cruise in it

but i have to add a special mention for Batman

wtf was Burton thinking??

he picks a short skinny dude to play the lead WTF??, Alfred invites a REPORTER into the Batcave WTF?? and the biggest steaming dog turd in the swimming pool was that The Joker dies at the end WTF??

The Crow
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:47 AM
OMFG, my fav movies keep popping up here :o Shawshank Redemption is a great movie. So is Natural Born Killers. 2 Classics. Batman, the same. The atmosphere Tim Burton creates is just amazing. Pffft...

I agree with Spiderman though, must be the worse movie I saw in the last couple of years.

tennisIlove09
Dec 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
I don't know how people can not LOVE American Beauty. It has to be one of the best films ever. The message the movie sends is so beautiful. I cried the first time I saw it.

Titanic was a good movie, just a tad to long.

Overrated?

Gladiator. I hated it. I don't know how it won the Oscar for best movie.

I also thought 'In The Bedroom' was bad. I don't know how it did so well...I only liked 1 scene in the entire movie [when the father started to cry in the dead son's bedroom...very moving]

Beat
Dec 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
some batman movies sucked very much, thank you, but not the ones by tim burton (especially batman returns was great!), but the ones by joel schumacher, that horrible little gimp. but again: i don't think they were overrated, because i can't remember them being hailed as great pieces of art.

a good indicator of movies that are generally seen as masterpieces is the list on imdb.com. and the top 20 looks like this:

1 Godfather, The (1972) 9.0/10 (64610 votes)
2 Shawshank Redemption, The (1994) 8.9/10 (82882 votes)
3 Godfather: Part II, The (1974) 8.8/10 (35426 votes)
4 Citizen Kane (1941) 8.7/10 (36831 votes)
5 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) 8.7/10 (78383 votes)
6 Schindler's List (1993) 8.7/10 (58695 votes)
7 Casablanca (1942) 8.7/10 (39387 votes)
8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 8.7/10 (14970 votes)
9 Star Wars (1977) 8.7/10 (87251 votes)
10 Memento (2000) 8.6/10 (43696 votes)
11 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 8.6/10 (36769 votes)
12 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.6/10 (40308 votes)
13 Rear Window (1954) 8.6/10 (23657 votes)
14 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 8.6/10 (56628 votes)
15 Usual Suspects, The (1995) 8.6/10 (62532 votes)
16 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.6/10 (67320 votes)
17 Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le (2001) 8.6/10 (25723 votes)
18 North by Northwest (1959) 8.5/10 (21281 votes)
19 Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.5/10 (75371 votes)
20 Psycho (1960) 8.5/10 (32556 votes)

The Crow
Dec 17th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I liked all Batman movies, but you're right, tim Burton's were the best (especially Batman returns ;)).

Seeing the IMDB, Schindler's list has to be the ultimate overrated movie ;)

Harju.
Dec 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
The award goes to
Gladiator :mad: I just simpe hated that movie... :fiery: And people keep on saying it's nice..
A beautiful mind.. horrible :mad: :(

bee
Dec 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Beautiful Mind

the book was good!! ... the movie was just awful!!! It was over-hyped!!!

Cersei
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:13 PM
titanic and the patriot

Cersei
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM

i saw that one recently :) fantastic movie

nasty nick#2
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:35 PM
1 Godfather, The (1972) 9.0/10 (64610 votes)
Simply one of the best movies of all time, i can't say anything bad about it, but you better concentrate on watching it, otherwise you won't understand some details

2 Shawshank Redemption, The (1994) 8.9/10 (82882 votes) A very good movie too, it has to be among my favorites, some say it doesn't deserve #2 but then again it all depends who voted. During the last 20 years its among the better atleas

3 Godfather: Part II, The (1974) 8.8/10 (35426 votes)
Same as the first, i actually liked this one more cause of De Niro

4 Citizen Kane (1941) 8.7/10 (36831 votes)
this was often considered the best of all time, perhaps. But it's from 1941, time flies by nd there pop up many new movies too.

5 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) 8.7/10 (78383 votes)
Say what you want about it, it was atleast a huge success and the effects and Story were good. Kind f like the early star wars

6 Schindler's List (1993) 8.7/10 (58695 votes)
Good movie in black n white. Not one of my favorites but certainly well made

7 Casablanca (1942) 8.7/10 (39387 votes)
Another great classic from the 40's, it is good.

8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 8.7/10 (14970 votes)
I love this movie, even though it's in Japanese, i think it was fantastic, you should see this one, its a true classic

9 Star Wars (1977) 8.7/10 (87251 votes)
What can i say, popular 70's-80's movies with great effects, not a surprise it's ranked high

This was too is great, but surprising i heard so little about it when it came out. It's ranked 10 now

11 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 8.6/10 (36769 votes)
Another oldie, i don'y know if it deserves such a good # but it's good

12 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.6/10 (40308 votes) This one is really fun and well played

13 Rear Window (1954) 8.6/10 (23657 votes)
Hitchcock movie right? A classic too ofcourse

14 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 8.6/10 (56628 votes)
Another cool 80's movie i've seen lots of times

15 Usual Suspects, The (1995) 8.6/10 (62532 votes)
One of the best 90's movies without a doubt, really entertaining

16 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.6/10 (67320 votes)
Another star wars classic

17 Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le (2001) 8.6/10 (25723 votes)
Haven't seen this french one, but surprising it's ranked so high

18 North by Northwest (1959) 8.5/10 (21281 votes)
One of the best movies of all time, classic piec of art with Cary Grant

19 Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.5/10 (75371 votes)
Well played but rather slow at times, one of the most discussed movies of the 90's

20 Psycho (1960) 8.5/10 (32556 votes) [/B][/QUOTE]
Classic Hitchcock Horror, a good classic, but not very scary

tommyk75
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Wow, it's amazing how people's tastes can differ. "English Patient," "Pulp Fiction," and "American Beauty" are all some of my all-time favorite movies. And I can't even believe anyone mentioned "Schindler's List" in this thread. I didn't see that movie for the longest time because I figured it'd be yet another "boring depressing history lesson about World War II," and I found myself overcome with emotion and crying at the end... (the only other movies I've cried at are "Terms of Endearment" and "Dumbo")

And "Pretty Woman" and "Top Gun" are both fine movies for what they are; they're commercial fluff, but they're pretty GOOD commericial fluff.

As for the truly overrated: "Shawshank Redemption" (Good but not THAT good) "Scent of a Woman" (I can't believe Al Pacino's unrealistic overacting got an Oscar) "Dances With Wolves" (yawn---) and "Forrest Gump" (Give a break, Tom Hanks should've won the Oscar for "Big" instead).

Oh, and sign me up on the "Pearl Harbor" just sucked bandwagon. I can't believe I paid to see that load of crap.
That reminds me, Tom Cruise is NOT the most overrated actor, it's got to be Ben Affleck!

Beat
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:01 PM
thanks for the run-down, nasty nick. i can only add that i didn't like "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain", but i know that many many people loved it. for me it was just too cute, everything about it was so cute, it made me almost puke.
i think most people got overwhelmed by the visual style of the movie. i must admit, you can't really argue about that, it was stylish and visually very imaginative. but then again, jeunet (the director) has showed similar things before, e.g. in "delicatessen" or "la cité des enfants perdus" (maybe you've seen one of those ??)

Nina_rus
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM
most of the movies that I think were overrated have already been mentioned before but anyway:

Gladiator
Titanic (Kate Winslet is my favourite actress no matter what)
Analyze this
Pearl Harbour (didn't expect anything from it though)
The patriot
Senseless (many people were telling me how great and funny it was, I couldn't watch it, it was so bad )
Seven
Traffic (I didn't like it, I thought it was very boring, I don't even remember what it's about)
Star Wars (I'm just not into them)

I'll think of some more

Nina_rus
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:17 PM
I also didn't like Vidoq (the French movie with loads of visual effects)

nasty nick#2
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Jackie Brown was not very good.

Nina_rus
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:20 PM
and also The man who wasn't there

Nina_rus
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:29 PM
The Matrix was a bit overrated IMO as well IMO though it wasn't very bad

The Crow
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:33 PM

Yay another one of my fav movies named :bounce: ;)

Maybe I can just give you a list of my fav movies and everyone picks the overrated movies? ;)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:25 PM
YES, how could i forget SPIDERMAN!!! damn....... i got bored to death... lmao...

The Crow
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:44 PM
thanks for the run-down, nasty nick. i can only add that i didn't like "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain", but i know that many many people loved it. for me it was just too cute, everything about it was so cute, it made me almost puke.
i think most people got overwhelmed by the visual style of the movie. i must admit, you can't really argue about that, it was stylish and visually very imaginative. but then again, jeunet (the director) has showed similar things before, e.g. in "delicatessen" or "la cité des enfants perdus" (maybe you've seen one of those ??)

Oh I didn't know Jeunet directed Amelie. I didn't like delicatessen at all. La cite des enfants perdus was a bit better, but still not good *hesitating to go see Amelie now* ;)

gentenaire
Dec 17th, 2002, 02:57 PM
yes, Amélie was directed by Jeunet, but it's way better than Delicatessen. You must go and see Le Fabuleux Destin, Joris, it's packed with fun ideas.

Maajken
Dec 17th, 2002, 03:09 PM
:eek:

people generally dont seem to like tarantino for some obscure reason :confused: ;)

Beat
Dec 17th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Beggin' Beguine
yes, Amélie was directed by Jeunet, but it's way better than Delicatessen. You must go and see Le Fabuleux Destin, Joris, it's packed with fun ideas.

yes, it's packed with ideas, but they're all of visual nature, i.e. the story is of no interest at all, that's what i meant.
but it's not a waste of time like some of the ther movies that were mentioned. if you've got the chance, go and see it, maybe you'll like it, maybe not (what an intelligent comment :rolleyes: ;) )

Barrie_Dude
Dec 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by jrm
adam sandler's characters always have such a low IQ - can quite understand how could waterboy was such a hit

Touche'!!!