PDA

View Full Version : Do u believe in fate?

rocktheboat
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Most of the times I do! I usually believe that things happen for a reason.

I broke my wrist during the WE :( hope its not a bad omen for friday,I am meeting the girl I believe is the ONE for me! :p

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Nope

per4ever
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:34 AM
definitly

Penguin
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:34 AM
no :D

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:41 AM
No

Maajken
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
nah not really

ceetje
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Yes! :D

Beat
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM
NO!

Princess Fiona
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:31 PM
I do!

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:01 PM
i do too!!!!

did we just get married, fiona? ;) :D lol j/k :kiss:

many things that have happened in my life have been crazy, but definetly good :)

nasty nick#2
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Yes i do :D

Martian Martin
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Definitely, I also believe that everything in life whether good or bad, happens for a reason

Flappie
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:02 PM
martin you stole my line! :p :angel:

I too believe everything happens for a reason

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:08 PM
For the people who believe in fate, are you religious?

Martian Martin
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Sorry Liz ;), I guess I can just read your mind :p

Flappie
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:13 PM
The Crow, officially I'm religious, but i dont do anything about it. Does this make sense :p

Martin, ya know what i'm thinking right now? ;):o

Martian Martin
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Crow, no I'm not really a sort of religious person at all.

Liz, hmmm I'm not sure what you are thinking right now, but I'm hoping something :p

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Ok, I meant more spiritual than religious, joy. My point is that if you believe in fate you have to be spiritual, you have to believe in some kind of god, cause otherwise I have no idea where fate comes from?

Lynx
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Fate?
No way!

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Me? Not religious, nor spiritual. There are things that happen to you that are out of your control (call it coincidence/luck/(mis)fortune whatever), but there's no reason for it... Why should there be?

apoet29
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by joy
Yes, i believe in fate...but i also believe in choices..as human beings i believe that we each have particular journeys which are pre-destined. However, i think there are different paths to this pre-destined journey and that is wher individual choice and free-will come into play, so you can take any particular path on that journey and still eventually reach what is destined for you...but because of the particular path you chose at any given time, your experience would be different than if you maybe chose another path but its still for you to experience---do i make sense:)

I consider myself a more spiritual (i have a personal relationship with a higher power which i consider GOD which equals ME which equals YOU which equals ALL THINGS) person than religious (i'm not much into the indoctrination and specific rituals of any one religion)

Excellent post Joy! I could not have said it better myself. I share your views completely!

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Yep, scientific basis here too. Although I'm not believing in total chaos (I think mankind evolves all the time).

Ok, what's the difference again between atheist and agnostic? ;o

Lynx
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Joy & apoet - I hear and understand you.

But every day thousands and thousands of children die, just for being born in the wrong country. Every day, people suffer horribly, just for living in the wrong part of the world.

If I had to believe there was a reason for all that, that there was actually plan behind it... I think I would go screaming mad.

No! There is no fate! It's just all coincidence...

Flappie
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Martin
Crow, no I'm not really a sort of religious person at all.

Liz, hmmm I'm not sure what you are thinking right now, but I'm hoping something :p
Well, you just might be right:o;)

tfannis
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:41 PM
No, not at all :)

Martian Martin
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by EZ
Well, you just might be right:o;)

It makes a change with me being right about something! :p

gentenaire
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:43 PM
atheist doesn't believe in God, agnost simply doesn't know.

I agree with Lynx and Crow.

The Crow
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Something in between atheist and agnost then. I don't believe in God, but what do I know ;)

BritneySpearsIsHot
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:25 PM
So people die and cause misery for people for a reason?

Well, i can't wait to see this reason, it had better be good

Lynx
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Joy, I'm sorry, I tried to answer and I couldn't - I kept getting the message "faaaaaault" and "server too busy, try again later" or something like that. What do you think: fate, or coincidence? ;)

Obviously I don't agree with you, but it's very difficult to discuss this kind of thing on a forum. There just isn't enough space & time, so I'd have to oversimplify - we both would have to. That would make the discussion pretty worthless, I fear...

Just this then:
It may be true that some disasters are of our own making, but most aren't, you know that (earthquakes, volcanoes, storms...).
As for "karma"... I think it creates a lot more questions than it ever could address.

I'll best leave it at that. *discarding half a page of text*

shirley
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I believe in fate.

Luna_Angel_84
Dec 16th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Yup, I believe in it, I just wish things would go my way a little more at the mo. ;)

apoet29
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Lynx
Joy & apoet - I hear and understand you.

But every day thousands and thousands of children die, just for being born in the wrong country. Every day, people suffer horribly, just for living in the wrong part of the world.

If I had to believe there was a reason for all that, that there was actually plan behind it... I think I would go screaming mad.

No! There is no fate! It's just all coincidence...

I understand your point. Some things can be attributed to fate. Others to coincidence. But if you look at it from the perspective that there are a series of incidents (war, poverty, disease, etc) that led to these childrens' deaths then you can make a statement that fate is the reason that these children have died.

I think about it every day. I do wonder if there is anything I can do to make a difference. Sometimes I think that the idea that one person can make a difference is a fallacy.

apoet29
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by joy
Hi Apoet29:wavey: I have been there as recently as a few months ago re- wondering about one person (me) making a difference---i'm in the social work field, so i was wondering about my own personal job but you know what i think now? That evryone can make a difference by their own personal choices and actions...if everyone worked on and changed their behaviors to positive etc, i think the world would and could change for the better. So i know longer try to worry too much about if i'm helping people etc but in how i chose to live and act...it might seem a bit selfish but honestly i think its more realistic than changing this mess we live in by politics or social work ot what have you. You know when i really thought about this , when i realized that most politicians went into politics because the wanted to make a difference for the better:eek: But i realize that the systems are so big that when you go up against them, you often run out of steam, get burnt out, give up an din some instances follow the system and just go along...not in all cases but for the most part, it happens..so just work on being a good human being (again that is perspective) but you knwo what i mean---the rest should follow:wavey:

Hi Joy,

I understand your point quite well. I've always tried to live my life as an honest human being. But it has been my experience that most people tend to indulge themselves in selfish behavior that is mostly counterproductive. I am as guilty of this behavior as anyone. However, I believe that a person must be cognizant of their selfish behavior before they are able to change it and thereby help others. So I think that realizing that your behavior needs to be changed is the real key to making the world a better place.

So you're a social worker? That's great. It's a tough profession and I commend you for doing it. Your clients are lucky to have such a caring individual.

apoet29
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by joy

yeah, a month or so ago i was really in a funk and really thinking the worst about people, so i hear ya'- i agree, most people are only thinking about themselves and i am no different either, so...its a work in process but like you said- i am aware of it, so i guess thats a start;)

There you go! As the Oracle at Delphi said, "Know Thyself." Self-knowledge about your strengths and weaknesses is the best way to become a total individual!

I was in a funk about a month ago myself. But I wrote down a list of what I needed to change in my life and I have started going about making that change in a very aggressive manner. I hope that all will go well for you.

Martian Mel
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Yes!