PDA

View Full Version : Former US Vice President Al Gore Will Not Run For President In 2004

lizchris
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:08 PM
It was just announced by the AP and he will make it official on 60 Minutes tonight at 7:00 ET.

lizchris
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Gore Won't Run in 2004, Says Adviser

By WILL LESTER
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Vice President Al Gore has decided not to run for president in 2004, a senior Gore adviser said Sunday.

Gore planned to make the announcement on CBS ``60 Minutes,'' the adviser said.

Gore would have been the likely front-runner in the Democratic field, even though many party activists have said privately they hoped he wouldn't run.

After gradually re-entering politics over the last year, the Democrats' 2000 nominee campaigned for selected candidates around the country this year, then spent the last month promoting a book on the family that he wrote with wife Tipper and making an extensive round of media appearances, including ``Saturday Night Live'' this weekend.

Gore's decision opens up the 2004 presidential field for Democrats. Vermont Gov. Howard Dean is running and Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry has formed an exploratory committee and will announce his decision after the new year. Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, Gore's running mate in 2000, has said he is interested in running

Also considering a run are Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle, Missouri Rep. Dick Gephardt and North Carolina Sen. John Edwards.

Since re-entering the public arena, Gore has been talking about his views on issues from Iraq to health care to the economy and sending mixed signals on whether he planned to run.

Some aides said the 54-year-old Gore would feel differently from day to day about the decision. He had said he planned to deliberate through the holidays and announce a decision after Christmas.

But Gore finished a round of media appearances Saturday night and decided to go ahead with the announcement. Aides did not immediately say why he changed his timetable.

12/15/02 16:11 EST

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press.

Venus Forever
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:15 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:BILL CLINTON FOR PREZ IN 2004!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If only it would happen.:sad:

lizchris
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Technically, it could happen. The 20th Amendment to the Constitution says that a President cannot serve more than two consecutive terms, which Bill Clinton has not.

Barrie_Dude
Dec 15th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Well, does not matter who the Democrats run, they will only lose to "Dubya" anyway!;) :p

Justin
Dec 15th, 2002, 09:43 PM
What a shock!

The Dems don't stand a chance against Dubya, but.... wow.

Mase
Dec 15th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Im really let down, I thought he'd go for it.. Damn GORE damn!!!

Barrie_Dude
Dec 15th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Mase
Im really let down, I thought he'd go for it.. Damn GORE damn!!!

I'm afraid the Democrats are the ones that are Dammed! And the USA would have been had Gore been elected!;) :p :rolleyes:

bh440
Dec 15th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Ya see, the thing is, Gore WAS elected in 2000....

Barrie_Dude
Dec 15th, 2002, 10:29 PM
No, Gore was not elected! He knew the drill and he lost.

ktwtennis
Dec 15th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Gore wasn't elected...I think Bush was the best choice really to handle all of this turmoil. I found it an unbelieveable surprise that Gore isn't going to run!

King Lindsay
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Anybody who believes Bush is doing a better job that Gore would've is just as stupid as Dubya.

By the way, I seem to recall dubya senior had a pretty big lead in the opinion polls once upon a time, but hey, he was out after one term! Deja vu, son of a bitches.

Scotso
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Yay, no Gore :D

Go Democrats minus Gore :D

Richie77
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Good! :) Now there'll be a much better Democrat candidate in 2004.

theheninfan
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:50 PM
I saw that on 60 minutes tonight...did anyone see Gore on Saturday Night Live last night?

King Lindsay
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:54 PM
No, but I did see him on Conan O'Brien recently. Poor guy, can't even get on the A-list shows. lol. Also, Conan kept calling him "the Vice-President". lol.

Hurley
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Thank God. At least now we have a shot.

Kerry or Edwards. Come on...let's take back the White House, boys! :D

King Lindsay
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:02 AM
I'm sure Bush will do us some favors by fucking up in the Middle East over the next two, three years.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Scott - it could be worse: Joe Liebermann

Barrie_Dude
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Even Worse: Hillary Clinton!:eek: :eek: :eek:

bh440
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Or dubya'll create such a massive fucking war that the people wont want to switch......and then we'll all be damned to eternal hell on earth....

I'm sad that Al's not running, because i like him, but I do think we'll have a better chance with someone else.

King Lindsay
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:44 AM
All we need is somebody with the intelligence of Gore, but goddamn, some CHARISMA too. I like Kerry. His war credentials, he seems like a smart guy too. Definitely muh more qualified than stupid Bush.

Scotso
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I'd vote for Hillary.

Barrie_Dude
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:45 AM
:eek: That's Scary!:eek:

bh440
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by ktwtennis
Gore wasn't elected...I think Bush was the best choice really to handle all of this turmoil. I found it an unbelieveable surprise that Gore isn't going to run!

Dubya CREATED the turmoil. He's a moron who's fucking us straight to hell, making all of the other countries of the world hate us, and bombing everything in sight. The "best" choice? Hardly. And I'm sorry, the MAJORITY of people in the US of A voted for Gore whether you like it or not. Shrub was not elected. He was "selected" by the supreme court.

Venus Forever
Dec 16th, 2002, 12:53 AM
I can't stand Dubya!!

If only Giuliani would run. He's the only Republican I would ever vote for, and I'd probably vote for him over anyone right now. Oh, and he would wipe the floor with Dubya.

CC
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:01 AM
I was a little disappointed at the news.

Justin
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM
As much as I like Rudy, Dubya would have him for breakfast right now, as he would anyone in the current political world. To say that Gore would be as formidable in the war against terrorism as Dubya is absurd. I starkly disagree with many of Bush’s agendas. But, his most important, (and the most important Nowadays) I agree with. And I am not one of the many people who seem to be willing to cut off my nose to spite my face. And, anyone who would vote for Hillary at this point in her political career needs serious help. The presidency is not the senatorial election of NYS; it takes more than ass-kissing to get your ass in the White House. I didn't vote for Dubya in 2000 but I sure as hell am happy that he is the man in charge right now. We all should be. Whether we say so out loud is another story.

And, joy, most people, frankly, do not know their ass from their elbow with respect to politics. They think that trashing Bush, all while having no knowledge of his tactics, makes them appear knowledgeable.

Hurley
Dec 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Hillary Clinton will be an amazing President. ;)

lizchris
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Guliani would never be elelcted President because he has been divorced twice and that won't play well in the South or the Midwest, where most of the electoral votes are.

The only reason George W. is the President right now is because Gore couldn't carry his home state. If he had, he would have been the President now instead of George W.

Scotso
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Guliani is a Fascist. He would be one of the most hated people if his city hadn't been bombed. It's not like he did anything to help, he's just a sentimental hero.

I hope Daschle runs.

anton
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:23 AM
this is upsetting especially considering the way w got in office.

maybe trent lott and w will step down and gore will be in.

King Lindsay
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Why is it absurd to say that, Justin?

harloo
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Well I'm a straight up liberal, and I don't like either Bush or Al Gore. They both are "yes" men to me. No real backbone. Sorry, I am just dissapointed with the leadership in this country at this point.

Al Gore is simply a good man, but not a leader. He's more of a follower IMO. I'm glad he made the decision to not run again. Democrats need someone with some moxy to run.

Bush just doesn't have too much sense. He's not smart enough to be president. It's such a shame that we have so many intellegent people in this country and we have to settle for him. I read in an article, when he was in a certain country for a conference He asked the leader of the country, "Oh so you have blacks here too?". His security advisor had to correct him and tell him that the majority of the population are black here. Just ignorant IMO. Then his AXIS OF EVIL speech really was ridiculous. I mean come on, you have to use more caution when labelling everyone.

What's his next venture? I guess it's to nuke everyone on the planet. Bush is out of control.

Scotso
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Justin
it takes more than ass-kissing to get your ass in the White House. I didn't vote for Dubya in 2000 but I sure as hell am happy that he is the man in charge right now. We all should be. Whether we say so out loud is another story.

Oh you mean like daddy's popularity and millions?

And no, I'm not happy that our environment is going to shit and we're about to be plunged into war.

harloo
Dec 16th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Hurley
Hillary Clinton will be an amazing President. ;)

Hillary is a hardcore politician. She knows what to do, and when to do it. I don't know if she is Prez material, but Lott should of watched her before his major slip up.:D ;)

Hurley
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:45 PM
She's not Presidential material yet. But watch out in '08...unless the Dems already have the White House by then. :D

Car Key Boi
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Well, does not matter who the Democrats run, they will only lose to "Dubya" anyway!;) :p

yuo're not wrong there, Gore knows he's got no chance against Bush in 04, better for him to save the campaign money for 08

Celeste
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Things can change fast, Gore may have made the biggest mistake of his life. On the other hand, let someone who can win try. Please, I hope the Democrats find someone decent and not some cardboard imitation, though by calling Gore cardboard I guess I am demeaning those paper particles that can be so charming as moving boxes!

GoDominique
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Sorry, but I'm dying to know why everyone calls Bush 'Dubya'. What does that mean ?

Celeste
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:14 AM
His middle initial is "W" which if you sound it out sounds like "dubya" especially the way most people pronounce the "W," it is long and drawn out like "dubya." His father was President and had the same first and last name, so the son has become sort of known as the middle initial "W" which is father does not share.

GoDominique
Dec 17th, 2002, 09:06 AM
I see. Thanks. :)

treufreund
Dec 17th, 2002, 10:59 AM
HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008!

Jeb Bush is aiming to run for pres in 2008. Will we have 20 years of Bush presidents? 4 for George, 8 for Dubya and 8 for Jeb? :eek: By then they will have caused a nuclear war.