PDA

View Full Version : Seles, Webb and Kournikova in Winnipeg

bluepastures
Dec 12th, 2002, 08:28 PM
This is from the Tennis Canada newsletter: "Tennis fans – and non-tennis fans – in Winnipeg have a treat ahead of them as Russian star Anna Kournikova and American favourite Monica Seles are scheduled to head to the Winnipeg Arena for an exhibition match on Dec.15. Joining the impressive duo are Canadians Sonya Jeyaseelan and Vanessa Webb of Toronto, who will play singles against each other. In an exciting doubles match, Kournikova and Webb will take on Seles and Jeyaseelan. Also taking part in the exhibition are the country’s top wheelchair players Colin McKeage of Calgary and Victoria’s Paul Johnson, while two Winnipeg juniors, Sean LeCap and Kyla McNicol, will take to the courts right before the featured match of the evening. The tennis-filled afternoon begins at 4:00pm. Don’t miss it - get your tickets by calling 780-SEAT."

Yak
Dec 12th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Cool! What an opportunity for Sonya and Vanny to play with two great players!

Prediction:

Anna Kournikova def. Monica Seles 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
Vanessa Webb def. Sonya Jayesselan 7-6, 6-2
Webb/Kournikova def. Seles/Jayeseelan 6-2, 6-3

King Aaron
Dec 13th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Happy to see Sonya playing :D

Seles1
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Monica Seles def. Anna Kournikova 6-3 6-3

Jakub
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:34 PM
GO MONICA :kiss:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Monica Seles def. Anna Kournikova 7-6, 7-5
Vanessa Webb def. Sonya Jeyaseelan 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Kournikova/Webb def Seles/Jeyaseelan 7-6, 4-6, 6-4

Seles1
Dec 14th, 2002, 01:30 AM
Seles def. Kournikova 6-3 6-3
Jeyaseelan def. Webb 7-6 7-5
Seles/Jeyasseelan def. Kournikova/Webb 6-4 6-3

TatiAnnahølic
Dec 14th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Anna def. Monica 7-5 7-5
Vanessa def. Sonya 6-3 7-5
Anna/Vanessa def. Monica/Sonya 6-4 6-3

King Aaron
Dec 14th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Oh, these are all predictions..for a while there I thought which score was right. stupid me

ditritus
Dec 15th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by aaron®
Oh, these are all predictions..for a while there I thought which score was right. stupid me i know! i saw the first one, "Anna Kournikova def. Monica Seles 5-7, 6-3, 6-3" and my heart jumped... breathe... breathe...

anyway, this is rediculous. i want scores. i want a victory for Anna!

tyk101
Dec 15th, 2002, 09:55 PM
when does the match start??!

ktwtennis
Dec 15th, 2002, 11:21 PM
8P.M. EST.

disposablehero
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Kournikova d Seles 6-4 7-6
Webb beat Jeyaseelan 6-7 6-4 and 10-6 or so in a "championship tiebreak" (first to ten and by two)
Seles/Jeyaseelan d Kournikova/Webb 6-4

Yak
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:04 AM
I'm surprised by the Seles/Jeyaseelan def. Kournikova/Webb score.......

A grand slam doubles winner and a pure serve and volleyers lose to a pair a GREAT singles players who are not known for the volleying skills...

Anyway, the thing that counts is that Anna won that singles match!

disposablehero
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:43 AM
I wouldn't call Webb a pure serve/volleyer. She has a nice touch at the net, but tends to try too many midcourt volleys, and almost inevitably fails on them. And she didn't look afraid to stay on the baseline either.

FLL
Dec 16th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
I wouldn't call Webb a pure serve/volleyer. She has a nice touch at the net, but tends to try too many midcourt volleys, and almost inevitably fails on them. And she didn't look afraid to stay on the baseline either.

I've seen many of her matches and she is a serve/volleyer but she can play from the back but she has a weak backhand. I agree that she try to make midcourt volley but unfortunitely, she doesn't have the talent of Novotna or Tauziat so she usally misses. She is still fun to watch!

disposablehero
Dec 16th, 2002, 05:02 AM
I'm somewhat embarrassed about the presentation of the whole thing. The surface was ancient and had two very ugly seams running the length of the court. In fact, the singles line on my side was clearly bunched up and sticking out in about 10 places. I think one of the ballboys was Dusty Baker's son, that's about how old he looked. At least he wasn't allowed to work the net. Another ballgirl looked fairly old, had a bit of a tummy (not really bad), and I think bigger breasts than Anna. Also, I felt that they did not promote Monica's appeal enough in the 2 months leading up to this, and I felt that I would have been more comfortable with another 4 or maybe even 6 security there.

Harju.
Dec 16th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Congrats Anna, Webb and Seles/Sonya :d
Now every body win a match!!!

Randy H
Dec 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Vanessa is a capable serve and volleyer, but she doesn't have a huge serve which means she is often late to close the net and often gets herself in a defensive situation in "no man's land" too much. she also doesn't do enough with her volleys, they need more punch. she's pretty good from the back of the court, backhand is solid and steady, forehand is decent, but she'd be far better if she could use it as more of a weapon than pushing it around.

surprised anna won, but not too surprised vanessa beat sonya in singles because sonya is still trying to find consistency, and not surprised by the doubles result because sonya is a very good doubles player, better than vanessa imo.

congrats to everyone :)

lmoon1
Dec 16th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Anna won?:eek: :eek: (drop dead) OMG I AM SO EXCITED!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: This is great GREAT news!:D !!! Go anna!

Philip
Dec 16th, 2002, 10:29 PM
yay wd anna

Xuan121
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:15 AM
So can anyone give more info on how the single and double match went. Do you guys who saw the double match said that webb cause the kournikova/webb team to lose?

disposablehero
Dec 17th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Well, Xuan, it seemed obvious to me going into the doubles match that since both the singles losers were on the same team, that team would win the doubles. Which is essentially what happened. Volleys were flying everywhere, with extended and outstyanding rapid-fire exchanges from all players (Even Monica!). Kournikova and Webb would shave a point here and there though, although they left the break for the very last game. Webb did more of the shaving than Kournikova, being the lesser star. Anna did do a few though, one in particular was after a nice long rally Anna took the ball perfectly at the baseline, turned her wrist just enough, and dumped it low into the net. I didn't mind that sort of stuff once a game or so at all, as the tennis was generally of a very high quality.