PDA

View Full Version : Woman Pushed Hindu Man To His Death - Charged W/ Hate Crime

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Another senseless murder.

Anger and hatred stemming from 911 is still lingering.
Unfortunately, the people with the most hate are also the least able to process information accurately.
...Not that it would have OK to target Muslims

"(She) said in sum and substance 'I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up,'" the prosecutor said in a statement.

Woman accused of murder as a hate crime in NYC subway push death

New York (CNN) -- A 31-year-old Bronx woman has been charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime in the death of a man shoved in front of a subway train, Queens prosecutors said Saturday.

District Attorney Richard A. Brown identified the woman as Erika Menendez. She was awaiting arraignment.

"(She) said in sum and substance 'I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up,'" the prosecutor said in a statement.

The victim, Sunando Sen, grew up in a Hindu family, his roommate said.
Witnesses said a woman paced the platform and talked to herself Thursday evening shortly before pushing the man as the 11-car train entered the station. The 46-year-old man's body was pinned under the second car after it came to a stop.

The woman made "statements implicating herself in the death of Sunando Sen," Paul Browne, the New York Police Department's chief spokesman, said earlier. Security video showed a person running from the scene.

Menendez was identified Saturday afternoon in a lineup, Browne said. She was recognized earlier in the day on a street in Brooklyn by a passer-by who called 911, the police spokesman said. The caller said she resembled the woman in the video.

"The defendant is accused of committing what is every subway commuter's worst nightmare -- being suddenly and senselessly pushed into the path of an oncoming train," said Brown, the district attorney. "The victim was allegedly shoved from behind and had no chance to defend himself. Beyond that, the hateful remarks allegedly made by the defendant and which precipitated the defendant's actions can never be tolerated by a civilized society."

It was not clear Saturday evening whether Menendez had obtained an attorney.
Sen, of Queens, owned a shop called New Amsterdam Copies and was a graphic designer for posters, said roommate Ar Suman.

source:http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/29/justice/new-york-subway-death/index.html

debopero
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:48 AM
This Hispanic woman pushes an Indian man. A month ago, a black man pushed an Asian man. Minorities are racist against other minorities.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/files/2012/12/NY_NYP2.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323501404578161392783412204.html

A 30-year-old homeless man was charged with murder on Wednesday in connection with the fatal push of a man into the path of a subway train in Midtown, officials said.

Naeem Davis allegedly made statements implicating himself and at least one witness picked him out of a lineup as the assailant who shoved 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han onto the tracks at the 49th Street station on Monday, a law-enforcement official said. Mr. Han died when a southbound Q-train struck him as he tried unsuccessfully to climb out of the track bed.

Mr. Davis, who worked odd jobs for merchants in the tourist-heavy area of Times Square, was arraigned late on Wednesday and was ordered held without bail on two counts of murder in the second degree.

Well anyone can be a bigot :shrug:. This is not a groundbreaking observation :rolleyes: .

What the woman did was despicable to say the least. I hope she gets what she deserves.

JN
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:33 AM
This Hispanic woman pushes an Indian man. A month ago, a black man pushed an Asian man. Minorities are racist against other minorities.

- snip -

A 30-year-old homeless man was charged with murder on Wednesday in connection with the fatal push of a man into the path of a subway train in Midtown, officials said.

Naeem Davis allegedly made statements implicating himself and at least one witness picked him out of a lineup as the assailant who shoved 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han onto the tracks at the 49th Street station on Monday, a law-enforcement official said. Mr. Han died when a southbound Q-train struck him as he tried unsuccessfully to climb out of the track bed.

Mr. Davis, who worked odd jobs for merchants in the tourist-heavy area of Times Square, was arraigned late on Wednesday and was ordered held without bail on two counts of murder in the second degree.

The article has no mention of race or a hate crime, so once again you're just pulling conclusions outta your ass and presenting them as facts. Have a seat, fool.

njnetswill
Dec 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Both pushers/murderers sound mentally disturbed to me. Talking to yourself at the subway station? Clear signal of mental illness.

Violence against minorities by other minorities is commonplace in America. Just read about the horrific anti-Asian violence that occurred at South Philly High School a few years back :help:

Alejandrawrrr
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:14 AM
These things are always so terrible :sad: Especially because it was motivated by bigotry.

skanky~skanketta
Dec 30th, 2012, 01:44 PM
OMG what an ignorant bitch. The poor guy! RIP and hope his family is able to pick up the pieces and move on.

Sammo
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:00 PM
That's why I never wait for the metro anywhere close to the platform :unsure:

$uricate
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/files/2012/12/NY_NYP2.jpg

So someone took that time to take a picture but didn't bother saving him? :unsure:

Yeah I know he was already DOOMED! but they could have at least attempted.

This is the society we live in though, people pretend to care but at the end of the day they have their own motives first. This is why I appreciate people who are upfront about being assholes.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM
So someone took that time to take a picture but didn't bother saving him? :unsure:

Yeah I know he was already DOOMED! but they could have at least attempted.

This is the society we live in though, people pretend to care but at the end of the day they have their own motives first. This is why I appreciate people who are upfront about being assholes.
That is really disturbing, isn't it?
With our gun culture, I guess people are reluctant to intervene, frearing for their own life

Helen Lawson
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM
That is really disturbing, isn't it?
With our gun culture, I guess people are reluctant to intervene, frearing for their own life

You're going to blame guns on no one helping that guy? People are horrible and don't help in general. I has to be a frezze-frame from a security camera, those trains come up too fast, from that distance, you could not even have time to pull out a camera or phone to take that shot, and if it was moving that slowly, the conductor, in the picture, could have stopped.

heavyhorse
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Americans are so dumb... Well a lot of them are anyway. Don't mean to generalise of course.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:45 PM
You're going to blame guns on no one helping that guy? People are horrible and don't help in general. I has to be a frezze-frame from a security camera, those trains come up too fast, from that distance, you could not even have time to pull out a camera or phone to take that shot, and if it was moving that slowly, the conductor, in the picture, could have stopped.
I am not blaming gun for this crime in particular, but someone to take the time and shoot this picture is eerie to me.

In France,(not sure if it is still the law) it is a crime to not come to the aid of someone in distress and if you can reasonably do it.
That would not be even be contemplated in our country, because we are afraid the perpetrator might have a gun.
It is not that we are inherently horrible, as you seem to suggest, it is the self-preservation in us that is keeping us from intervening.

Helen Lawson
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM
If someone took that photo, that is shocking and it's sick, it has nothing to do with guns. But those trains come up so fast, I still think this is a freeze frame from a security camera. I think you're overestimating people's fear of guns on not helping.

Gaby Gasparyan
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Many people (80-85%) today are just fuck'd in the head. It has nothing to do with race or religion, that's just a excuse. Today, people'll can't wait to go out of their way to do you a bad turn....

Alejandrawrrr
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
If someone took that photo, that is shocking and it's sick, it has nothing to do with guns. But those trains come up so fast, I still think this is a freeze frame from a security camera. I think you're overestimating people's fear of guns on not helping.

From what I remember of that story, the picture was taken by a professional cameraman who already had his camera out for some reason or another. When criticized for not helping he said he was too far away to reach the victim in time, so he just caught the picture :help: There was a lot of backlash and I think the paper was even criticized for publishing that eerie photo on their front page.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:10 PM
No it is not a " freeze frame from a security ", because CNN had an in-studio interview with the guy who took the picture shown in the post above. http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/05/us/new-york-subway-death/index.html.
He defended why he did what he did.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:12 PM
From what I remember of that story, the picture was taken by a professional cameraman who already had his camera out for some reason or another. When criticized for not helping he said he was too far away to reach the victim in time, so he just caught the picture :help: There was a lot of backlash and I think the paper was even criticized for publishing that eerie photo on their front page.
Correct, I found his interview with CNN and just posted it above

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Many people (80-85%) today are just fuck'd in the head. It has nothing to do with race or religion, that's just a excuse. Today, people'll can't wait to go out of their way to do you a bad turn....
That may be correct in general ( has nothing to do with religion), but this woman targeted the man because she thought he was Hindu or Muslim, in retaliation for 911.

Gaby Gasparyan
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM
That may be correct, but this woman targeted the man because she thought he was Hindu or Muslim, in retaliation for 911.

People'll do/say anything today to justify their evil. It's scary times we're living in

wild.river
Dec 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM

yeah, people were pretty outraged at the opportunistic photographer whose first instinct was to take a picture instead of helping and the scummy newspaper that published the last few moments of this man's life to sell copies.

i believe the photographer claimed that he was trying to use the flash to warn the train driver...yet he managed to sell the pic for profit :rolleyes:

edit: @helenlawson, trains often don't move super fast once they enter the station, especially if they stop right before the station due to traffic or something.

Helen Lawson
Dec 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
The conductor would have stopped if they were going slowly enough, obviously they weren't. Did the photographer state he didn't help due to fear of guns? Doubt it, totally ridiculous.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:28 PM
The conductor would have stopped if they were going slowly enough, obviously they weren't. Did the photographer state he didn't help due to fear of guns? Doubt it, totally ridiculous.
Helen, you are not reading my post carefully
I specifically stated I was not balaming this particualr incident on gun; that was a general statement.

The photographer did say he thought the unsual rapid flashing of his camera would alert the train conductor that something was wrong and and s/he would bring the train to a stop, but that did not happen.

He did not mention speed as a factor. But he did express regrets as follows
" Even at this moment I think, you know, I wish I had the presence of mind to say 'Mr. Han run in the other direction!' I did hear people saying 'Get up, Get up,' but I don't know why anyone did not reach out"

Dominic
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
You think 85% of ppl are fucked in the head!? ok...

debopero
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Americans are so dumb... Well a lot of them are anyway. Don't mean to generalise of course.

Too late.

Sammo
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Everyone is generally dumb in most places. There are of course places like Austria or Norway in which the general level of intelligence is well above the average.

tennislover
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:08 PM
:sad:
World has turned mad

mykarma
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Another senseless murder.

Anger and hatred stemming from 911 is still lingering.
Unfortunately, the people with the most hate are also the least able to process information accurately.
...Not that it would have OK to target Muslims

This woman sounds like a nutcase. How many more terrible acts will the states tolerate before they put more money back into mental health instead of putting these people out on the streets?

mykarma
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Both pushers/murderers sound mentally disturbed to me. Talking to yourself at the subway station? Clear signal of mental illness.

Violence against minorities by other minorities is commonplace in America. Just read about the horrific anti-Asian violence that occurred at South Philly High School a few years back :help:
Violence against humans by other humans is commonplace in this world so what's your point.

debby
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I am not blaming gun for this crime in particular, but someone to take the time and shoot this picture is eerie to me.

In France,(not sure if it is still the law) it is a crime to not come to the aid of someone in distress and if you can reasonably do it.
That would not be even be contemplated in our country, because we are afraid the perpetrator might have a gun.
It is not that we are inherently horrible, as you seem to suggest, it is the self-preservation in us that is keeping us from intervening.

Yes.
If your life is not in danger aka you can die by rescuing that person or he has a gun, knife : if he is drowing in a batshit sea you call the emergencies and try to throw something at him so he could hang on it. If he is drowing in a swimming pool and you don't even help, well this is a crime.

Really I dont understand people who just stand there when they are begged to help them when they are not stuck out of terror. I mean these dudes running away after hitting someone with their car... :help:

mykarma
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Helen, you are not reading my post carefully
I specifically stated I was not balaming this particualr incident on gun; that was a general statement.

The photographer did say he thought the unsual rapid flashing of his camera would alert the train conductor that something was wrong and and s/he would bring the train to a stop, but that did not happen.

He did not mention speed as a factor. But he did express regrets as follows
" Even at this moment I think, you know, I wish I had the presence of mind to say 'Mr. Han run in the other direction!' I did hear people saying 'Get up, Get up,' but I don't know why anyone did not reach out"
When someone was as frighten as this man probably was it would have taken a very strong person to pull him up without being pulled on the track with him. Things like this happen so fast most people was probably stunned in horror. Just so damn sad. This lady has to be sick to do that and have no problem telling about it in such detail.

tennisbum79
Dec 30th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Yes.
If your life is not in danger aka you can die by rescuing that person or he has a gun, knife : if he is drowing in a batshit sea you call the emergencies and try to throw something at him so he could hang on it. If he is drowing in a swimming pool and you don't even help, well this is a crime.

Really I dont understand people who just stand there when they are begged to help them when they are not stuck out of terror. I mean these dudes running away after hitting someone with their car... :help:
Thanks for clarifying this.
I knew the general spirit of the law, but did not know the details.

Smilar law may also exist in Quebec , aka "La Loi Du Bon Samaritain"

JN
Dec 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks for clarifying this.
I knew the general spirit of the law, but did not know the details.

Smilar law may also exist in Quebec , aka "La Loi Du Bon Samaritain"

The final 2 episodes of 'Seinfeld' addressed Good Samaritan laws... come to think of it, there's nothing 'Seinfeld' hasn't addressed, but I digress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_laws

tennisbum79
Dec 31st, 2012, 01:54 AM
The final 2 episodes of 'Seinfeld' addressed Good Samaritan laws... come to think of it, there's nothing 'Seinfeld' hasn't addressed, but I digress. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_laws
Yes, I saw that.
Seinfeld added a twist.
They were being punsihed for all the "bad things" they did that far, not just their failure to assist someone in distress in the final episode.

miffedmax
Dec 31st, 2012, 04:56 AM
The woman apparently has a history of mental issues.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324274404578211732779311530.html

One of her victims was allegedly a firefighter:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/9-11-fdny-hero-face-evil-subway-killer-erika-menendez-years-front-lawn-article-1.1230047

Of course, it's pretty obvious you're a whackjob if your solution to 9/11 is to push other Americans in front of trains.

tennisbum79
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:13 AM
The woman apparently has a history of mental issues.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324274404578211732779311530.html

One of her victims was allegedly a firefighter:
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/9-11-fdny-hero-face-evil-subway-killer-erika-menendez-years-front-lawn-article-1.1230047

Of course, it's pretty obvious you're a whackjob if your solution to 9/11 is to push other Americans in front of trains.
That is true for this woman.

But I can't sit here and pretedt that Americans who have attacked other Americans or immigrants because they thought they are Arabs/Muslims were all mentally deranged.
I would say the vast majority were perfectly normal and had no problem admiting why did what they did.

They could not differentiate a Sikh/Hindu from an Arab.
If you wear a turban or have facial hair in style identified with middle eastern people, you are targeted.

These kinds of crimes spiked in 2001 - 2003, thank God they did not always result in death.

Dominic
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:17 AM
Well she's sick obviously

May that man R.I.P.

kwilliams
Dec 31st, 2012, 12:19 PM
How horrifying. The poor man must've been so unsuspecting, just going about his business.

I've heard it said that, if you are grabbed or attacked, you shouldn't just call out to a crowd of people for help, because no one person will choose to take the initiative. Apparently, you should, if possible, look one person in the eye and call to them for help specifically...apparently, pointing at them also helps. Once one person acts, others will join the fray.

mykarma
Jan 16th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Man defecating between subway cars tumbles to his death

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/1-dead-1-hurt-deadly-subway-fight-article-1.1240740#ixzz2I9qQrCR0

A Bronx man tumbled to his death while defecating between subway cars on a moving 6 train in Manhattan Tuesday, cops said.

The northbound local had just left the E. 125th St. station on the Lexington Ave. line around 4:12 p.m. when the 31-year-old man fell and was crushed, said NYPD spokesman Paul Browne.

Within seconds of the foul incident, straphangers spotted a bloodied and battered 50-year-old man climbing out of the 4/5 express track bed across the platform, cops said.

The man, who reeked of booze and is believed to be homeless, had a broken pelvis, a deep gash to his buttocks and a laceration on his legs, cops said. It was not immediately clear if he had been struck by a train. The bizarre incidents were unrelated.

For gawds sake you need psychiatric help. What does this post have to do with the topic of this thread except it's a damn train?

Another idiot joining my ignore list.

Helen Lawson
Jan 16th, 2013, 11:06 PM
For gawds sake you need psychiatric help. What does this post have to do with the topic of this thread except it's a damn train?

Another idiot joining my ignore list.

A friend of mine used to complain all the time that his two ex-wives, an ex-girlfriend, and his current girlfriend all had herpes. Sometimes you need to look at the common denominator, dear.

Sam L
Jan 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
They could not differentiate a Sikh/Hindu from an Arab.
If you wear a turban or have facial hair in style identified with middle eastern people, you are targeted.

These kinds of crimes spiked in 2001 - 2003, thank God they did not always result in death.

I remember this. Such ignorance.