PDA

View Full Version : Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 6

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

C. W. Fields
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:02 AM
The last volume has passed 5000 posts, time to start a new one.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/959/ap201201220456177782240.jpg

James
Dec 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Volume 5 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=452962)
Volume 4 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=429190)
Volume 3 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=384645)
Volume 2 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335296)
Volume 1 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=127509)

Fantasy Hero
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
first one :cheer:

CWTennis
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I think it's good that she got a tough draw! If she wants to get back to the top and win big titles again, she has to learn how to beat top players!
But I agree with Protoss about Caro playing doubles. I think that could only help her game! There is many players ( Aga, Vika, Petra, Sam...) who have played quite a lot of doubles before they got to the very top!

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I think it's good that she got a tough draw! If she wants to get back to the top and win big titles again, she has to learn how to beat top players!
But I agree with Protoss about Caro playing doubles. I think that could only help her game! There is many players ( Aga, Vika, Petra, Sam...) who have played quite a lot of doubles before they got to the very top!I think Caroline has to get her singles game sorted out. Doubles is played differently. She dropped off in singles form and needs to do better at holding serve and playing big points. This goes back to her last match vs Petrova, where Caroline couldnt hold serve and lost almost every big point in the match

terjw
Dec 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I think Caroline has to get her singles game sorted out. Doubles is played differently. She dropped off in singles form and needs to do better at holding serve and playing big points. This goes back to her last match vs Petrova, where Caroline couldnt hold serve and lost almost every big point in the match

I don't think it's a case of one or the other. I see the best way of improving her serve as being with a coach and training. Of all shots most under a player's control - it's the serve. So in theory - that should be the easiest to coach and improve on during practice. I agree with you that I don't think playing doubles would help her on that.

But I do think she got worse at the net during 2012 whereas I thought that was an area she really looked like she she was getting better at and getting quite good at the net before that. I can understand her not wanting to play doubles when she was winning tournaments and her time was all taken up with her singles matches and she was improving at the net anyway.

But now - I think doubles would be a good idea to help improve her net play and try to build up some practice and confidence at the net. I don't in any way see that as a substitute for coaching/training and working on other/all aspects of her game.

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Even volleying in doubles is different than singles. There are really good volleyers who dont rush the net in singles, because in singles, the key is when to approach & what shot to hit as you come in. You dont just hit it back and come in. That gives your opponent a big advantage.

Anyway, if she improves in singles, she wont want to spend all afternoon waiting around for her doubles match, and if she cant improve her singles, I dont think doubles will help

bruce goose
Dec 30th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hello folks:wavey:!This could just be a case where Caro's smile causes illogical,infectious optimism,but I think she'll be more solid than she was in 2012.Am still not confident enough to predict a lengthy stay in the top 5;however,we'll see some easily visible improvement,IMO

Off-topic: Just saw Chrissie Fan's banner:hearts:--am not jealous of Rory,but will be available for Caro Consolation Service in case her bf loses his mind and looks for some inevitably-inferior replacement for our Sunshine:angel:

Protoss
Dec 30th, 2012, 08:35 AM
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2012, 09:52 AM
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.I wonder also. If this form drop off is because they both decided to change her forehand technique when she was #1 by 3000 points, a young superstar, then it was a crazy, dangerous decision. She might never recover from it.
But it might be she cant focus and produce good tennis anymore.
We dont know exactly why she isnt the player she used to be, but its almost 2 full years since she was in a final above a Tier 2. This is a Tier 1 with a Tier 1 field, so it will tell a lot, same with AO

rucolo
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hi everybody ! ;)

Love Caroline`s smart game and amazing backhand. Let`s hope she finishes 2013 in Top 5 :rocker2:

Chrissie-fan
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hi everybody ! ;)

Love Caroline`s smart game and amazing backhand. Let`s hope she finishes 2013 in Top 5 :rocker2:

Thanks, and welcome. :)

TennisFan66
Dec 30th, 2012, 06:49 PM
^^ Hey, Chrissie. Is that Caro in your sig photo? :devil: I am assuming it's her, coz of the tennis ball and tennis racket.

Chrissie-fan
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM
^^ Hey, Chrissie. Is that Caro in your sig photo? :devil: I am assuming it's her, coz of the tennis ball and tennis racket.
Actually, it's Serena Williams doing a Caro impersonation with her Caro lookalike mask and wig.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Actually, it's Serena Williams doing a Caro impersonation with her Caro lookalike mask and wig.

can't decide which one works better so i'll use both:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8o3ojEOqF1rdutw3o1_500.gif

http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280319878_parrot-is-playing-dead.gif

TennisFan66
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:47 PM

RACISM!!!!!!! Not all white women are blond. Stereotypical racism towards white women. I shall immediately alert the world news media.

Chrissie-fan
Dec 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
RACISM!!!!!!! Not all white women are blond. Stereotypical racism towards white women. I shall immediately alert the world news media.
:worship:

Protoss
Dec 31st, 2012, 02:17 AM
Challenging draw for Caro. :( Based on the draw she should make it to the quarters.

It's strange that Caro's 2013 season is technically beginning in 2012 but it is a bit exciting that she's playing again. :)

Good luck in Brisbane and in 2013 Caro!!! :)

jasminefu623
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM
don't even know what to say, able to watch the tie break, from what i saw at the tie break, same old caro, same old story, nothing change.

the entire off season was wasted, she didn't improve her serve, she didn't improve her forehand, she didn't try to cut down her UEs.

caro can play some good point from time to time in a match, but that's not enough, she is not gonna win a SINGLE match if she keep on play like this.

i know i shouldn't say this, but what is the point of pulling the match to a tie break but you can only win a point in tie break when facing someone outside the top 100?

credit to pervak, she play some great tennis, but as a top 10 player, caro should be able to handle players like her. pervak kinda remind me of goerges, their hitting motion are similar, if caro hit the ball earlier, she can avoid pervak bossing her around.

don't know what else i can say, this is the last day of 2012, hopefully caro can do better starting from tomorrow.

bruce goose
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Yeah folks,just ignore my optimism whenever I feel good about Caro's chances again:o....doesn't mean that she:angel:'ll never inspire me to make the same mistake

Fantasy Hero
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:45 AM
wow that's called an unexpected and bad waking up :sobbing: such a bad loss to start the year :(

Protoss
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:45 AM
don't even know what to say, able to watch the tie break, from what i saw at the tie break, same old caro, same old story, nothing change.

the entire off season was wasted, she didn't improve her serve, she didn't improve her forehand, she didn't try to cut down her UEs.

caro can play some good point from time to time in a match, but that's not enough, she is not gonna win a SINGLE match if she keep on play like this.

i know i shouldn't say this, but what is the point of pulling the match to a tie break but you can only win a point in tie break when facing someone outside the top 100?

credit to pervak, she play some great tennis, but as a top 10 player, caro should be able to handle players like her. pervak kinda remind me of goerges, their hitting motion are similar, if caro hit the ball earlier, she can avoid pervak bossing her around.

don't know what else i can say, this is the last day of 2012, hopefully caro can do better starting from tomorrow.
I find the randomness of Caro's play kind of baffling. Is it a focus thing? A confidence thing? Or what?

I don't think Goerges and Pervak are at all alike. Goerges is an agggressive player with big weapons in her 1st serve and forehand. Pervak is more a defender with modest/limited power.

It's one thing if Caro is getting bossed around by players like Goerges or Kvitova but another if it's by a relative lightweight like Pervak. It shouldn't be happening and it's a bad sign.

DownInAHole
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:58 AM
Huh. Pervak had sixty-one unforced errors and still won? Maybe Petkovic had more in Miami in 2011 but it is very hard to believe that Caroline lost when her opponent had that many unforced errors.

Not a great start to the season but it is still extremely early. She definitely needs to play much better in Sydney. If not she could have an early exit in Melbourne and she is defending quarter-final points there. An early loss could send her back out of the top ten.

TennisFan66
Dec 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM
the entire off season was wasted

She had a holiday and a break in Brasil and another holiday and relaxing time in Florida.

We hear from Rory and also from Thomas J. how hard Caro is working. But to start 2013, we get a loss to a player outside #100 .. :(

Protoss
Dec 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM
She had a holiday and a break in Brasil and another holiday and relaxing time in Florida.

We hear from Rory and also from Thomas J. how hard Caro is working. But to start 2013, we get a loss to a player outside #100 .. :(
I wonder if Caro's good results after the US Open maybe gave her a false or misleading overly positive impression of the state of her game. I've seen that happen with some teams who do poorly the majority of the season but then have a good finish to the season.

Given Caro's level of play/results for the majority of the year, I would have thought that she'd have a lot longer and more intense training period after the season. But her training period didn't seem that long or intense to me. :shrug:

I think Caro may have thought that her game didn't need that much work afterall. :shrug:

DownInAHole
Dec 31st, 2012, 08:34 AM
I wonder if Caro's good results after the US Open maybe gave her a false or misleading overly positive impression of the state of her game. I've seen that happen with some teams who do poorly the majority of the season but then have a good finish to the season.

Given Caro's level of play/results for the majority of the year, I would have thought that she'd have a lot longer and more intense training period after the season. But her training period didn't seem that long or intense to me. :shrug:

I think Caro may have thought that her game didn't need that much work afterall. :shrug:

If what you hypothesise is true then maybe this kind of a loss is a good thing? She may believe that her game is sound and that things are fine but a few more losses like this may wake her up and make her realise that her good results last fall haven't turned her game around. It would probably be better for her to realise that now rather than for her to continue having decent results at the smaller events and mediocre results at the bigger events. Maybe a bad start will make her work much harder and by the middle of the year she may start getting back to where she was at her best?

Fantasy Hero
Dec 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
I haven't seen the match so i can't really comment, but from what I am reading she's been over powered by Ksenia, which is honestly a very worrying sign...
I was watching some highlights of her win in Las Vegas many years ago already and the comments on her tennis (as she was unseeded there so kind of a surprise) were: "how amazing is to see a girl with great physical shape, good movements and such a big power". She was hitting very strong with BH and the FH was good, sometimes flat and most of the time top spin, but very deep. She hit even a couple of FH inside-out winners there...I wonder where that all has gone? surely one can't forget how to play, can one?
I still believe that the racket change was a terrible decision...

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2012, 09:46 AM
I didnt see the match, but I'm not surprised.
This sport is mental, and whatever happened in the months after the loss at Wimbledon to Cibulkova ( could be a technique change, burnout, meeting Rory, etc..) whatever happened, she doesnt play a smart, steady game anymore. She doesnt play well at key moments, doesnt hold her serve.
Unless she can mentally step up, this will be her tennis, just like Jankovic, Ivanovic.
So get used to it. It could be she is trying as hard as she can, but the mentally tough aspect of her game is gone.
Pervak is a very typical 1st round opponent, a noncontender for a big title. Thats what Caro is also.

Saraya!
Dec 31st, 2012, 09:48 AM
So sad, but not a surprise..she did nothing for tennis in the off season only cheering Rory..that is not enough.

TennisFan66
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:02 AM
I didnt see the match, but I'm not surprised.
This sport is mental

I am surprised, but the joke's on me.

Yes, mental.

From a very early age, Piotr drilled into her 'It's only a tennis match', when she lost in her junior days. It has given her a grounded, good perspective on life and what's important.

But one cannot help but wonder, if it's also made her complacent and not affected enough by losses? .. There's always next week, next tournament.

Her sunny disposition appears more of a hindrance than a strength for her tennis career - at least at this moment.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Caro never played Vika in 2012, this is why. She cant get thru a Tier I draw anymore. Losing her 1st match at a Premier 5 has become the most likely result for Caroline. More likely than a deep run.
Obviously, they are aware her results have dropped, so this match is an ominous sign, to maybe Caro's final year of tennis, and then off to watch Rory play golf the next 30 years

I cant imagine she stays on the tour like Jankovic, a shell of a former #1, who everyone wants in their quarter nowadays.
With Rory becoming an alltime great, the comparisons will become embarrassing for Caroline if this is her play from now on.

CWTennis
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not even that upset about this loss! I'm more upset that she seems didn't learn or don't want to learn from her last season loses! The same shaky forehand that breaks down during her matche, serve- what is that serve, I don't think her serve has improved with the new stance, her serve is worse than 1-2 years ago! It's great that they work on her fitness so much, but what about tehnical aspects of her game!? She can't run down every fricking ball, she needs to play more agressive and with more variety if she wants go far in tournaments and win titles again!

Chrissie-fan
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM
2012 all over again, folks. Or possibly even worse. No improvements on the service or the forehand, which wouldn't be a disaster if she at least played better 2010-2011 type of Caro tennis. But this is no longer the case. And still a problem of keeping up the momentum after winning a first set. When you lose a match against someone who makes 60 plus UE you know you have a problem. Seems like we're in for another year of suffering.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2012, 12:18 PM
This is all up to Caroline. If she throws her career away without ever having a full time coach...
Look, famous & wealthy, she doesnt need tennis. Thats the way she plays, like its a hobby she messes around with.

That she lets her dad yell at her, instead of having a tactical coach, that tells she's not serious enough about her career

Łukasz Iwanek ‏@lukasziwanek
Piotr Wozniacki: She doesn't think, she is only waiting, and you playng for her balls through the centre court. Can't you see it Caro?

Łukasz Iwanek ‏@lukasziwanek
Piotr Wozniacki: How you can can't play with backhand?... You can't stand on the court like clown! #epic (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23epic&src=hash)

Chrissie-fan
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'm very disappointed. I had hoped for a good start to get her 2013 campaign under way. With all due respect, but Pervak isn't exactly the best player in the world. She's decent, but not someone who's supposed to beat Caro. Ursula Radwanska is better, but one would expect Caroline to get past her as well, albeit after a competitive match. But although I'm disappointed, I can't really say that I'm as surprised as I would have been in better days.

goldenlox
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:33 PM
I was surprised. I thought maybe Vika would pound Caro, like Nadia did in Bulgaria, but if she cant beat Pervak when she's up a set... this year is a potential disaster.
The big event the 1st part of the year is the AO. Caro seems like a total noncontender now.
But she'd better give it her absolute best try, because she already lost round 1 at the last 2 majors

Chrissie-fan
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:52 PM
I was surprised. I thought maybe Vika would pound Caro, like Nadia did in Bulgaria, but if she cant beat Pervak when she's up a set... this year is a potential disaster.
The big event the 1st part of the year is the AO. Caro seems like a total noncontender now.
But she'd better give it her absolute best try, because she already lost round 1 at the last 2 majors
I had hoped for a relatively comfortable win against Pervak, and a competitive two or at worst three set win against the blonde Radwanska followed by a clear loss against Vika, although not a beatdown - something 3-6/3-6-ish. With such results I would have been reasonably happy at this point.....Come on Caroline! You have to come up with something better than this in Sydney! :sobbing:

BTW - all my best wishes for 2013 to our girl and her loved ones, and to my fellow Caro fans here.

bruce goose
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:05 AM
Will wait til the end of the Aussie season to see how Caro is reacting to losses;if it's still 'ho hum',then I'll sadly concede that the fire may be gone:eek:

Protoss
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:57 AM
I haven't seen the match so i can't really comment, but from what I am reading she's been over powered by Ksenia, which is honestly a very worrying sign...
I was watching some highlights of her win in Las Vegas many years ago already and the comments on her tennis (as she was unseeded there so kind of a surprise) were: "how amazing is to see a girl with great physical shape, good movements and such a big power". She was hitting very strong with BH and the FH was good, sometimes flat and most of the time top spin, but very deep. She hit even a couple of FH inside-out winners there...I wonder where that all has gone? surely one can't forget how to play, can one?
I still believe that the racket change was a terrible decision...
Caro used to be a lot more aggressive very early on in her career but I guess she changed from that to get a more immediate boost in results. As her defensive game style became her pattern it probably became pretty ingrained and offenseive skills likely were very neglected.

I disliked the racquet change from Babolat to Yonex after the 2010 season as I thought it made little sense to switch racquets after playing the best tennis of your career to date. The racquet change didn't seem to be much of an issue, at least early on, (after switching back to Babolat strings after Sydney) and the strong results/play continued on from the previous year. I think that Caro's shots sit up more and don't have as much pace as they did when she used a Babolat racquet.

I think it would a good idea for Caro to evaluate different racquets and strings to find what's the best combination for her now. I had hoped that would happen in this offseason but that didn't seem to happen.

goldenlox
Jan 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM
Caro used to be a lot more aggressive very early on in her career but I guess she changed from that to get a more immediate boost in results. As her defensive game style became her pattern it probably became pretty ingrained and offenseive skills likely were very neglected.

I disliked the racquet change from Babolat to Yonex after the 2010 season as I thought it made little sense to switch racquets after playing the best tennis of your career to date. The racquet change didn't seem to be much of an issue, at least early on, (after switching back to Babolat strings after Sydney) and the strong results/play continued on from the previous year. I think that Caro's shots sit up more and don't have as much pace as they did when she used a Babolat racquet.

I think it would a good idea for Caro to evaluate different racquets and strings to find what's the best combination for her now. I had hoped that would happen in this offseason but that didn't seem to happen.I was thinking last spring she needed to re-evaluate her equipment. At the world class level, you always have to keep up your competition.

But this is a bigger problem. Same one that Jankovic has. They cant hit the down the line backhand when they need it. Cant hit a good 1st serve when they need it. Cant hit a good return of serve when they need it.
They lost the mental toughness part of their game. The ability to produce good tennis over & over at key moments. You cant win without that, and the great champions have it for years & years. For some, it's almost like being in a zone, then its gone

marineblue
Jan 1st, 2013, 10:12 AM
This is Piort´s take on her performance against Pervak (on court coaching)

http://t.co/T6PyJKXo

I found it on Cronins twitter page take from that what you will...

rucolo
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Out in Brisbane R1 to Pervak. Disaster start of year :facepalm:

Pervak is nothing special. Really bad loss. Caroline is so much better than Pervak. Must have played horrible. Caroline has never been the same since French Open 2011 where she got killed Hantuchova in R3. Total decline since then.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM
Out in Brisbane R1 to Pervak. Disaster start of year :facepalm:

Pervak is nothing special. Really bad loss. Caroline is so much better than Pervak. Must have played horrible. Caroline has never been the same since French Open 2011 where she got killed Hantuchova in R3. Total decline since then.
The thing that annoys me the most is that she looked pretty good in the first set and that she, as has been so often the case in 2012, let her opponent back in from the start of the second set onwards.

goldenlox
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
I cant think of a worse loss, being up a set to Pervak and losing, other than Begu in the US Open.
The only worse result would be an injury.
At least its only the first match, but it makes her mental toughness, and ability to hold serve & close, look like its still as much as issue as all last year

Blu€
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM
Her tie break record has been appalling for a while. She's just gifting them with UE on return and middle court shots. That's not how you play a tie break. I dread it when she has to play a tie break these days.

jasminefu623
Jan 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM
just some random thoughts, from some of the other matches i watch, lots of players nowadays just playing the "old caro style", they are doing well, since some of them are more powerful then caro, some of them can change the pace and direction easier than caro.

start to think, if caro didn't listen to the experts, didn't change her style, what will her result be now?

Protoss
Jan 2nd, 2013, 04:33 AM
just some random thoughts, from some of the other matches i watch, lots of players nowadays just playing the "old caro style", they are doing well, since some of them are more powerful then caro, some of them can change the pace and direction easier than caro.

start to think, if caro didn't listen to the experts, didn't change her style, what will her result be now?
I don't think anybody in the top 20 plays as defensively as Caro does though.

bruce goose
Jan 2nd, 2013, 06:09 AM
So who's providing technical coaching or advice for Caro? I think she needs someone other than Piotr for that, some kind of technical consultant or adviser.You are SUCH a foreigner:p: 'Advisor' is spelled with an "O",but I agree with your premise that Caro should find another perspective as long as it's someone who can get along with dad

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
I don't think anybody in the top 20 plays as defensively as Caro does though.Nothing wrong with players having different styles. You have to play well on the key points. When its 4-4, thats when the best players stand out.

Craig Gabriel ‏@crosscourt1
Caro and Rory have arrived in sydney for #sydneytennis (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23sydneytennis&src=hash)

manixdk
Jan 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM
I loved Piotr's coaching comments, they were spot in. It must be frustrating when she does everything right in practise, then ditches it during matches. At some point, it will click. She spent most of the second set in Caroland at the Brisbane marking behind the baseline again. It seemed like she was just not mentally clear when she went into the match.

Protoss
Jan 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Nothing wrong with players having different styles. You have to play well on the key points. When its 4-4, thats when the best players stand out.

Craig Gabriel ‏@crosscourt1
Caro and Rory have arrived in sydney for #sydneytennis (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23sydneytennis&src=hash)
She's too defensive for her own good though. Being stuck well behind the baseline or pretty much just running down balls isn't how she's had her most success.

I think it's kind of funny that with her build she's so defensive in her game. She plays a lot smaller than she is.

Protoss
Jan 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
I loved Piotr's coaching comments, they were spot in. It must be frustrating when she does everything right in practise, then ditches it during matches. At some point, it will click. She spent most of the second set in Caroland at the Brisbane marking behind the baseline again. It seemed like she was just not mentally clear when she went into the match.
I rather dislike the tone/style of his coaching.

Coaching relationships sometimes go stale with a team or player no longer really hearing what the coach is saying. Do you think Caro is at or near that point?

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
Something was wrong going back to when she lost her 1st matches to Vinci & McHale at Rogers Cup & Cincy in summer of 2010.
This is a year and a half later. She is not the player she was. Doesnt mentally compete the same way.

I also think a full time coach, like Sanchez is helping Petrova, would give her better strategies, but if her level drops off when its crunch time, there's nothing a coach can do.
Its the same for Jankovic, who was an excellent player. You have to be able to start each set holding serve, and finish each set playing at a high level.
And Caroline is not doing much of that for a long time now

Hopefully she can figure it out, but right now, everyone wants Caro in their section of the draw

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
If I understand him correctly even Piotr doesn't want her to play so defensive. He's urging her to play closer to the baseline and don't hit through the middle so much. That comes pretty close to what Sanchez and TJ also wanted I think. But most of us also say that. Question is whether Piotr is a good enough coach to make Caroline confident enough to actually do it (?). And I've heard Sam Smith say several times in her commentary that the problems Caro is having with her forehand can be EASILY solved. Again, does Piotr have the technical know-how to do that? I don't know. But even though I can't answer those questions, I feel the same way as Protoss about his style of coaching, at least when she calls him on court. You don't encourage your player by telling her that she's a clown or that she basically sucks. That doesn't sound like much of a pep talk to me.

rucolo
Jan 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
The reasons for Caroline`s decline

1) Talk about #1 without Grand Slam finally got to her (FO 2011)

Caroline was strong for so long, but at FO 2011 the talk was too much even for her. She bombed out to Hantuchova. Caroline is a strong, positive person, but not a robot. With each press conference the talk about not deserving #1 put more and more pressure on her to win a Grand Slam.

2) Rory

Rory is now her Top priority, not tennis anymore. Tennis is only #2. Skipping training to be with him is completely unprofessional. I can`t see the fire she used to have on court anymore. The will to win is not 100 % anymore. Caroline is not 100 % focused on court anymore. She lost her consistency, her fire, her mental strength. Because her #1 is Rory.

Sinead94
Jan 2nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
I saw the highlight of the match and all I can say is that if Caro keep on playing like that, she won't be able play tennis in her late; physically she'll be dead. During this match most of the time she was behind the baseline, chasing the ball; the worst thing about the way she played is that most of her ball were short and in the middle of the court even though that Pervak isn't really a powerful player.

I don't know if it's because of Rory or because she needs a new coach but if she doesn't find a solution soon, her ranking may badly suffer.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
I saw the highlight of the match and all I can say is that if Caro keep on playing like that, she won't be able play tennis in her late; physically she'll be dead. During this match most of the time she was behind the baseline, chasing the ball; the worst thing about the way she played is that most of her ball were short and in the middle of the court even though that Pervak isn't really a powerful player.

I don't know if it's because of Rory or because she needs a new coach but if she doesn't find a solution soon, her ranking may badly suffer.
Definitely. Just to hold on to a top 10 ranking (let alone to go up again) she'll have to improve her level because she'll face (if she even makes it that far) the top players sooner in a tournament than for most of last year.

Good point about the toll it might take on her body in the long run to just be a retreiver of balls. She should play closer to the baseline. She's not a power hitter by any means, but she doesn't have to be. Playing closer to the baseline in itself takes time away from her opponents. From what we hear she actually does that in training, but for whatever reason she doesn't have the confidence to do it in an actual match.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 2nd, 2013, 10:55 PM

Caroline was strong for so long, but at FO 2011 the talk was too much even for her. She bombed out to Hantuchova. Caroline is a strong, positive person, but not a robot. With each press conference the talk about not deserving #1 put more and more pressure on her to win a Grand Slam.

2) Rory

Rory is now her Top priority, not tennis anymore. Tennis is only #2. Skipping training to be with him is completely unprofessional. I can`t see the fire she used to have on court anymore. The will to win is not 100 % anymore. Caroline is not 100 % focused on court anymore. She lost her consistency, her fire, her mental strength. Because her #1 is Rory.
I agree with your first point. I have no idea if she skips training though. I mean, she could hardly look any fitter than she does and her stamina is second to none. So I'm sure that she works very hard on the physical part of the game. Problem may be that she doesn't work enough on her technique, which may explain why she continues to struggle with her forehand. I'm obviously just guessing, but if she has been working on that we sure don't see any positive results - or not often enough anyway. As I've said before, towards the end of last year the forehand down the line was a pretty effective shot for her in some of her matches. I didn't see any of that in the Pervak match anymore though.

....But it's early days. Let's hope for better in Sydney. It's all we can do. :sad:

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM

I don't know if it's because of Rory or because she needs a new coach but if she doesn't find a solution soon, her ranking may badly suffer.Yeah, Caroline used to have a good backhand. She could go up the line or crosscourt. Her forehand was okay. She couldnt blast it, but she could place it deep to either side of the court.
Now its mental. Nobody can win just setting up their opponents with short balls, or making errors early in points.
She cant hit with a decent mix of pace & placement anymore.
I dont know if its Rory, although that will be how its written in history. Because he showed up in her life when her game fell apart.
But its up to Caro to play steady with decent pace. She used to do that. Suddenly the errors came out at the worst times. Now everything seems out of sorts.
Its going to take a big mental effort from Caro & her team. They need to watch tapes ( I would suggest YEC 2010 3rd set vs Fran and IW vs Marion)
But instead of running from the successful defensive player she used to be, she should try to get back to that form, study how she was winning 9 of 19 tournaments, and then improve her serve from there

TennisFan66
Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Good point about the toll it might take on her body in the long run to just be a retreiver of balls.

Not really, imho. There is no empirical evidence to suggest such a claim.

Athletes with predominantly short muscle fibers will excel in sports requiring explosive contraction of muscles. Sprinters as an example. They rarely are competitive at a 'high' age. They are also very prone to injuries, as the explosive movements is a big strain on muscles and the body. Tennis BBB's fall into this category.

Athletes with predominantly long muscle fibers will excel in sports requiring stamina. The marathon runner is the example here. They are often quite competitive at an 'old' age and are normally not as injury prone as 'power' athletes. The main cause of injury stems from exhaustion. Tennis 'pushers' fall into this category.

Playing style alone, favours the tennis pusher. However, obviously other things play a big role. Genetics. Training methods. Eating habits and blah blah.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM

....I dont think Caroline is under pressure to win a major. No one expects her to win a major in 2013.
What she has to do is get back to being a YEC player and start making deep runs in majors and Tier I's again.

Rory has the pressure. There are golf writers who are picking him to win more majors than Nicklaus or Tiger. He's expected to win and win and win.
For Caroline, no one would be surprised if she didnt win any title this year. She just went 14 months without a title, until the end of last year when players were tired and she won in fields without YEC players

The way she started this season, a total collapse is possible in 2013. She has to get focused and play each point in a way thats better than what she just did vs Pervak

bruce goose
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
I agree with your first point. I have no idea if she skips training though. I mean, she could hardly look any fitter than she does and her stamina is second to none. So I'm sure that she works very hard on the physical part of the game. Problem may be that she doesn't work enough on her technique, which may explain why she continues to struggle with her forehand. I'm obviously just guessing, but if she has been working on that we sure don't see any positive results - or not often enough anyway. As I've said before, towards the end of last year the forehand down the line was a pretty effective shot for her in some of her matches. I didn't see any of that in the Pervak match anymore though.

....But it's early days. Let's hope for better in Sydney. It's all we can do. :sad:Kim didn't collapse at the chat about her being a slamless #1 back when she first ascended to #1 for a few weeks many years ago...nor did Big Masha collapse when folks suggested that her best days were over after the shoulder injury.Sports media will ALWAYS feel compelled to blab about SOMEthing cuz they have an inferiority complex when comparing themselves to REAL journalists who write about wars or expose some important government scandal;therefore,they pretentiously prattle over anything that will get themselves attention and fool people into thinking that they're great expositors like news reporters of renown.

Though I adore our sweet Caro:angel:,if she's gonna mentally collapse just because of skepticism from hopelessly horny Serb-worshipping douchebags like Cronin,then she doesn't deserve to be ranked with the champions of the sport.It might be different if Caro were being heckled everywhere she walked with racial insults...or being stalked by some obsessed maniac but,as far as we know,that was never the case.By all appearances,Caro has a pretty decent life where she's loved by family,friends and lots of fans,too....If you're gonna blame the no-slam bashers for her ranking decline...if that sad premise is actually true...then maybe it's time for Caro to retire and formulate marital and maternal plans with Rory.........I'm only speaking hypothetically here b/c I'd like to think that Caro wasn't THAT weak

marineblue
Jan 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
I don't think that criticism of slamless no.1 got to her too much. Sure, she was annoyed but then at the same time she realised this was a special achievement. I suspect that it could get to her team more than to her, actually. Last season Piotr kind of went along with what the experts and commentators said: hiring a new coach, developing a more offensive game, focus on slams etc.
It was Caro who in the end said to him that she wants things to be as before.

I agree with the above that the media talk from somebody like Cronin should not matter to athletes of this class. The media are always looking for a big story which will help them to draw people into a conversation. And bashing of a slamless no.1 fits the purpose.

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
I don't think that criticism of slamless no.1 got to her too much. Sure, she was annoyed but then at the same time she realised this was a special achievement. I suspect that it could get to her team more than to her, actually. Last season Piotr kind of went along with what the experts and commentators said: hiring a new coach, developing a more offensive game, focus on slams etc.
It was Caro who in the end said to him that she wants things to be as before.

I agree with the above that the media talk from somebody like Cronin should not matter to athletes of this class. The media are always looking for a big story which will help them to draw people into a conversation. And bashing of a slamless no.1 fits the purpose.A champion athlete cant let stuff like that bother you. There's pressure at every level, to move up, to do things you havent done. To keep winning and winning.
The pressure this year is on Serena, Vika, Maria. Those are the 3 who are expected to win a major.
Caroline hasnt played like a #1 for over a year. Even if that was a reason, its long over.
No one is bombarding her with questions about winning majors. She only won 2 matches the last 3 majors

Being criticised for being a slamless #1 is not an excuse to have your career unravel. Kim & Amelie both got to #1 1st. You keep playing well and the majors come. If you fall off like Jankovic, the majors dont come

TennisFan66
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:32 AM
If I understand him correctly even Piotr doesn't want her to play so defensive. He's urging her to play closer to the baseline and don't hit through the middle so much.

It is a GM-myth that Piotr wants Caro to junk ball every ball back down the middle of the park. This has never been his strategy.

Protoss
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
It is a GM-myth that Piotr wants Caro to junk ball every ball back down the middle of the park. This has never been his strategy.
Maybe so but he hasn't able to get her to not do that for the most part. :shrug:

Either Caro is incapable of stopping doing that in which case whoever is coaching or advising her probably doesn't matter or somebody else should be brought in who can get her stop hitting down the middle so much and camping out well behind the baseline. :shrug:

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Its possible Piotr is part of the problem.
We should let this year unfold. But if Caro continues like 2012, you have to wonder if it hurt her career, not hiring a true coach to fine tune her strategies & mechanics.

Saraya!
Jan 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM

2) Rory

2. 100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrissie-fan
Jan 3rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Kim didn't collapse at the chat about her being a slamless #1 back when she first ascended to #1 for a few weeks many years ago...nor did Big Masha collapse when folks suggested that her best days were over after the shoulder injury.Sports media will ALWAYS feel compelled to blab about SOMEthing cuz they have an inferiority complex when comparing themselves to REAL journalists who write about wars or expose some important government scandal;therefore,they pretentiously prattle over anything that will get themselves attention and fool people into thinking that they're great expositors like news reporters of renown.

Though I adore our sweet Caro:angel:,if she's gonna mentally collapse just because of skepticism from hopelessly horny Serb-worshipping douchebags like Cronin,then she doesn't deserve to be ranked with the champions of the sport.It might be different if Caro were being heckled everywhere she walked with racial insults...or being stalked by some obsessed maniac but,as far as we know,that was never the case.By all appearances,Caro has a pretty decent life where she's loved by family,friends and lots of fans,too....If you're gonna blame the no-slam bashers for her ranking decline...if that sad premise is actually true...then maybe it's time for Caro to retire and formulate marital and maternal plans with Rory.........I'm only speaking hypothetically here b/c I'd like to think that Caro wasn't THAT weak
I don't think that we can point the finger at any one thing and say THIS is the sole reason for Caro's (hopefully just temporary) decline. Many things are probably contributing factors. I don't think that the criticism itself has made Caroline play any worse, but since their comments were supported by specialists and former players she might have taken them more seriously. And that may have motivated her to try working with different coaches, which didn't get her the results she had hoped for. At least not in the short term. Long term we don't know, because there wasn't any.

So, no. I don't think it's the criticism from the likes of Cronin or Bodo, or even Navratilova or (to a lesser degree) Hingis by itself. But all things are connected and play of each other. The relationship with Rory also may have had a negative impact, although he definitely doesn't seem to suffer career wise from the relationship. Injuries could also play a part. And of course the improvements from her contemporaries plus the sensational comebacks from Serena and Sharapova mean that for Caro even the status quo would mean going backwards. Most importantly is her lack of confidence which she is clearly struggling with. The Caro of old didn't lose anywhere near as many close matches as the version from the last eighteen months or so. If she was still as confident as she was in the past and had won just half of those close matches that she now ended up losing that in itself would already have made for a much better 2012.

The situation is not hopeless, but it's serious. She missed the boat when the likes of Azarenka, Kvitova and Radwanska made their move. If she starts swimming now like Missy Franklin she might catch up and still get on the boat, but if she doesn't that boat will disappear into the distance and she'll end up drowning in a sea of scrubs and non-entities as she slips ever further down the rankings.

terjw
Jan 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM

2) Rory

Well we can all have our theories. But that's all they are - opinions and theories not fact. There's a lot I disaagree with and there are some elements I agree with. But what is fact is her play has deteriorated markedly. In particular - the two strengths in her game - she's leaking way more UEs than she used to and she loses important key points and games that you could put money on she'd win in the past. In short - players used to be frustrated that they could never get a ball past her and used to say how hard she was to beat. Probably most of them didn't believe they could beat her whatever they might say. Now you can see them all think as well as say they believe they can beat her.

We need to remember that point 1 (succumbing to pressure being a slamless #1) is a circular argument and is NOT fact befrore we follow down that route of what Caro should do or accusing her of weakness there. It goes:

There was pressure because everyone goes on and on on and on and on and on ... at her for being a slamless #1 and mentions the pressure and the pressure builds up.
She didn't win a slam.
Therefore, it was the pressure that she succumbed to.
That is just such a circular argument and in no way follows on. But if enough people say it, people believe it as fact and not opinion.Then we have posters joining in and saying this is no excuse. Well where did this thing which is not a fact anyway become an excuse. Not from Caro who consistenlty answered that there is no pressure and #1 is where I want to be. It's a bit much to ctiticise her for something she she never said and is an unproven theory.

My own view on this is that her team and Caro gave confused messages as to what they were doing. It first started as easrly as the clay season in 2011. We then had that she had to change her game, then no, then the coaches and that mystery coach. It was all confusing to me. Then we had - don't worry about these losses it's the slams we are aiming at. I never liked that thing about it not matterring if she got beaten early in the other tournaments. And of course - she doesn't suddenly get a very unexpected good result at a slam out the blue. That's where I think she got derailed with her whole team. I don't buy she succcumbed mentally though.

I'm fine you or anyone believing that she succumbed under pressure so long as don't try to make out it's fact as opposed to opinion.

On point 2 - to some extent I agree. I don't know of her skipping training though. Having time off when she's not training during the off-season is part and parcel of what I thought she's always done.

What I think - and again it's only my opinion - not fact. I don't think she's as hungy now as she was. I think these losses would have really hurt her badly two or more years ago. Now - well she does have Rory to turn to in her life when she loses a tennis match. Tennis is not the only thing now so I think that takes the pain away. And her interviews. I know she's trying to put a positive spin on things. But with a couple of exceptions - it just doesn't seem she's hurt and driven so hard to prove everyone wrong with their prediction - something she was passionate about proving the naysayers wrong.

bruce goose
Jan 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
She missed the boat when the likes of Azarenka, Kvitova and Radwanska made their move. If she starts swimming now like Missy Franklin she might catch up and still get on the boat, but if she doesn't that boat will disappear into the distance and she'll end up drowning in a sea of scrubs and non-entities as she slips ever further down the rankings.Cut off the rest of your post b/c I enjoyed the metaphorical language above;).Let me be clear that such pressure CAN have an impact,but it speaks very poorly of the player if she's totally overcome by it,and I don't want that to be Caro's legacy.

Ivanovic is one of those weaklings and her actions--refusing to hire a sports shrink;having her EX-bf's 'golf fitness' coach lead her training--show that she has basically quit on her career and is content to float around the Top 20...just barely good enough to still get endorsement offers,photo shoots,and live off her lucrative Adidas personal services contract(which requires her to be an active player).....w/o dealing with any of the pressure that goes with being an elite player

Then there's my sweet Dinarik who let the naysaying eat her alive on court: She resorting to pushing and abandoned her aggressive style whenever she had a really big match because she was so afraid of making mistakes,and sometimes even THAT outlet wasn't enough,as we saw in that pathetic effort in the 2009 RG final where she was almost frozen in terror in the tunnel before walking out on court.Eventually,she neglected her health and destroyed her back cuz she was so paranoid about being the 'unworthy #1' and kept playing when she should've recuperated

Caro isn't as bad as either of those two,IMO,but it's at least possible that she choked on that MP vs. Li at the AO--and maybe in some other big matches--by pressing too much to disprove the naysayers.We'll never know for sure,obviously,but I'm confident that that's the case with Dallas QB Tony Romo who has SUPERB overall stats for the high-pressure month of December in his career and yet,in the ultimate win-or-go-home games,he has a sorry 1-6 W/L record and just finds a way to make some critical mistake.In the end,Caro's level of love for tennis will have a say on how she copes and what she decides to do

goldenlox
Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
What I think - and again it's only my opinion - not fact. I don't think she's as hungy now as she was. I think these losses would have really hurt her badly two or more years ago. Now - well she does have Rory to turn to in her life when she loses a tennis match. Tennis is not the only thing now so I think that takes the pain away. And her interviews. I know she's trying to put a positive spin on things. But with a couple of exceptions - it just doesn't seem she's hurt and driven so hard to prove everyone wrong with their prediction - something she was passionate about proving the naysayers wrong.It doesnt really matter what the reasons are: burnout, Rory, change in mechanics, etc.
The important part is that she has to be hungry enough to overcome whatever obstacles are there.
Both Serena and Sharapova were in hospitals, their whole career in doubt. And they came all the way back.
Whatever happened to Caroline's career, it will be her desire to get back, or lack of desire, that shapes her career

manixdk
Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
Cronin's one of the few journalists who's given Caro a fair shake. When Troels Rasmussen has larger article on Caro, he emails Cronin a rough translation and he's getting some insider info now. He picks her for top 5 and a GS this year.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Caro isn't as bad as either of those two,IMO,but it's at least possible that she choked on that MP vs. Li at the AO--and maybe in some other big matches--by pressing too much to disprove the naysayers.We'll never know for sure,obviously,but I'm confident that that's the case with Dallas QB Tony Romo who has SUPERB overall stats for the high-pressure month of December in his career and yet,in the ultimate win-or-go-home games,he has a sorry 1-6 W/L record and just finds a way to make some critical mistake.In the end,Caro's level of love for tennis will have a say on how she copes and what she decides to do
I think that every athlete chokes sometimes, and those that say they don't are probably lying. And in tennis it happens even more frequently than in teamsports, even though I suppose a quarterback is as close as it gets to one individual being personally responsible for the result of an entire team. But no, I don't think the choking was as bad with our Wozzy as it was with some others when they got the chance to do something significant. Caroline wasn't frozen or like a deer in headlights but competed to the best of her ability in that Li match or her USO and YEC finals against Clijsters. Maybe her arm got a little bit heavy at some key points, but she's human and thus it's normal and it's definitely something that can be overcome. Clijsters herself had much worse problems in her slam finals against Henin, and just look how great she ended up doing in the end.

But first Caroline has to put herself into the position again where she'll actually be in the mix at the business end of big tournaments. That alone is already a mountain to climb for her. I think she'll really give it all she's got though. That interview from the other day where she said that she wants to win the AO and get back to number one soon sounds borderline funny considering the state that her tennis is in, but it also proves that the fire is still burning and that she won't go anywhere without at least putting up one hell of a fight.

terjw
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
I think that every athlete chokes sometimes, and those that say they don't are probably lying. And in tennis it happens even more frequently than in teamsports, even though I suppose a quarterback is as close as it gets to one individual being personally responsible for the result of an entire team. But no, I don't think the choking was as bad with our Wozzy as it was with some others when they got the chance to do something significant. Caroline wasn't frozen or like a deer in headlights but competed to the best of her ability in that Li match or her USO and YEC finals against Clijsters. Maybe her arm got a little bit heavy at some key points, but she's human and thus it's normal and it's definitely something that can be overcome. Clijsters herself had much worse problems in her slam finals against Henin, and just look how great she ended up doing in the end.

But first Caroline has to put herself into the position again where she'll actually be in the mix at the business end of big tournaments. That alone is already a mountain to climb for her. I think she'll really give it all she's got though. That interview from the other day where she said that she wants to win the AO and get back to number one soon sounds borderline funny considering the state that her tennis is in, but it also proves that the fire is still burning and that she won't go anywhere without at least putting up one hell of a fight.

I really agree with your post. Well all except the last sentence where I'd like to agree and think that - but it's more hope than anything. I've just seen too many Caro interviews where she's on auto-pilot to put a positive spin on everything and doesn't prove or tell us anything.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
I really agree with your post. Well all except the last sentence where I'd like to agree and think that - but it's more hope than anything. I've just seen too many Caro interviews where she's on auto-pilot to put a positive spin on everything and doesn't prove or tell us anything.
True, but getting that ambitious in her comments doesn't sound like the usual auto-pilot comment to me. Pretending to be reasonably happy with her 2012 season because she's still in the top 10 does though. NOBODY can believe that she really feels that way.

DownInAHole
Jan 3rd, 2013, 06:41 PM

I think this is the thing that is the most frustrating. Of course every player is going to have "shocking" losses to lower ranked players but there was a time when Caroline routinely defeated the players she was "supposed" to (say players outside of the top thirty). You rarely had to worry about her losing to those "lesser" players it was when she played top twenty/top ten players that there was more doubt about if she would win. Those days are gone and now there are virtually no "easy" matches. Every time that she steps on to the court I feel like there is a pretty good chance that she could lose. If she can't get back to a place where she is regularly defeating non top thirty players she is never going to get close to where she was at her peak.

A lot of people were anticipating a Wozniacki/Azarenka quarter-final but Caroline fell well short of making it that far. That was once her greatest strength, that week after week you could depend on her making the quarters/semis/finals but that consistency has completely disappeared and now more often than not she loses early.

rucolo
Jan 3rd, 2013, 08:56 PM

....But it's early days. Let's hope for better in Sydney. It's all we can do. :sad:

Caroline skipped training by travelling around the world to be with Rory at golf tournaments. Instead of training her groundstrokes and serve she spends lots of time with Rory and walks around the green grass all day to be with him. Until FO 2011 Caroline was much more dedicated to tennis. Now Rory is her #1. And I didn`t mean her fitness, I meant working on the court to develop a consistent depth in her groundstrokes, something that used to be her strength.

Yeah, Caroline used to have a good backhand. She could go up the line or crosscourt. Her forehand was okay. She couldnt blast it, but she could place it deep to either side of the court.

That`s an understatement. Caroline`s backhand was amazing! She could do anything she wanted with it. Hit winners from the most difficult positions, extremely consistent, hardly any mistakes. Caroline`s backhand was a weapon, one of the reasons I became a fan. She could always rely on it. Perfect deep placement. Now her backhand is only average.

Now its mental. Nobody can win just setting up their opponents with short balls, or making errors early in points.
She cant hit with a decent mix of pace & placement anymore.

Exactly, that`s one of the weak parts in Caroline`s game nowadays. Many of her balls are simply too short. And she can`t afford this. Caroline must place her balls with more depth/length. Otherwise the players will punish her. I also don`t get why she makes so many stupid UEs now. Complete opposite of her game at #1 time.

I dont know if its Rory, although that will be how its written in history. Because he showed up in her life when her game fell apart.

Of course he did. He has a negative influence on her tennis career. It`s stupid and naive to think Rory has nothing to do with Caroline`s decline. The closer the relationship got the worse Caroline played. And when you have Caroline`s gamestyle you can`t afford to give less than 100 % on court. Her desire and will to win is not anymore at 100 % since she found Rory. He is more important to her than tennis.

rucolo
Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
I dont think Caroline is under pressure to win a major. No one expects her to win a major in 2013.
What she has to do is get back to being a YEC player and start making deep runs in majors and Tier I's again.

I was talking about her time as #1 and short after. Now nobody takes Caroline seriously anymore as a contender for a Grand Slam title. Who would? Caroline just lost to Pervak in Brisbane R1 who then got killed by Azarenka. And her last Grand Slam results were awful. R3, R1 and R1. Caroline is becoming a bye. I really hope she steps it up at Aus Open.

2. 100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hi5:

Jorn
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:33 AM
(1)A.Radwanska v BYE
(wc)Dellacqua v Q
Paszek v Jankovic
Vinci v (8)Petrova

(4)Li v McHale
Q v Hantuchova
Safarova v Q
Zheng v (6)Stosur

(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova
Lepchenko v Makarova
(wc)Rogowska v Kirilenko
Q v (3)Errani

(7)Wozniacki v U.Radwanska :)
Goerges v Q
Wickmayer v Q
(2)Kerber v BYE

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:51 AM
URad, Goerges, Kerber, Kvitova...
Here's a chance to show Brisbane isnt a sign she was wasting her offseason.
If she can get thru this draw, it will say something.

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Caro will have to go thru 2 buddies if if she plans on making at least the semis there

Chrissie-fan
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:30 AM
(1)A.Radwanska v BYE
(wc)Dellacqua v Q
Paszek v Jankovic
Vinci v (8)Petrova

(4)Li v McHale
Q v Hantuchova
Safarova v Q
Zheng v (6)Stosur

(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova
Lepchenko v Makarova
(wc)Rogowska v Kirilenko
Q v (3)Errani

(7)Wozniacki v U.Radwanska :)
Goerges v Q
Wickmayer v Q
(2)Kerber v BYE

:scared: :help:

DownInAHole
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:48 AM

Chin up, little fella. Realistically until her form improves virtually every draw is going to be scary but if she can get through it her confidence should be greatly improved. I'm not trying to understate how many problems she has had over the last year and a half but if she has one tournament where she can beat a couple of top ten players, even if she doesn't end up winning a title, I believe that could make a huge difference to her confidence and be a huge step towards arresting and reversing her decline. Of course actually doing that is not going to be easy but it can be done and I believe it will happen eventually.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
^^
Always the optimist. :lol:

Vaidisova
Jan 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Hope she will bounce back from this week and do well in Sydney.

TennisFan66
Jan 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM

:lol: .. but in honesty, a +1 from me.

She could well be out in R1 again.

2 won matches and then a loss to Kerber would - in the current climate - be a great achievement.

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM
:lol: .. but in honesty, a +1 from me.

She could well be out in R1 again.

2 won matches and then a loss to Kerber would - in the current climate - be a great achievement.The important thing is that Caroline has to start fighting to win matches again.

Lets assume that she was never that good. Serena, Vika, Maria, Petra are all better than Caroline ever was.
She STILL has become a lazy player, losing after 5-1 vs Vinci at a Tier I, losing twice to McHale, Pervak, blown off the court by Ivanovic.
Caroline has gotten mentally lazy in her matches. She doesnt fight for them anymore. Not like she used to.
The last 9 Permier 5's, she lost her 1st match 5 times. Over half!
No way she was #1 and was THAT weak a player. Mentally, she stopped fighting.
Maybe she works hard during practice, but you have to do the hard work of focusing during the match, or the practice hours are a waste of time

Blu€
Jan 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
:lol: at the draw. If she loses to Goerges after she was dismissed by Larsson this week... I might cry :tears::rolls: Anyway, let's see if she can actually beat Ula :help:

CWTennis
Jan 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM
nice draw, if she can get through the 1st round, that will be an improvement!

sweetadri06
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I just want her to win the first match. Anything else is a bonus.:unsure:

Chrissie-fan
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I just want her to win the first match. Anything else is a bonus.:unsure:
Yes, and if that qualifier will do all of us a big favor by taking out Goerges Caro may even get to (but probably not past) Kerber.

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I want her to play Goerges. She lost 3 in a row to her.
But judging by the loss to Pervak, this 1st match is tough enough to not look past.

Chrissie-fan
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I want her to play Goerges. She lost 3 in a row to her.
But judging by the loss to Pervak, this 1st match is tough enough to not look past.
It's not that I want her to avoid the dangerous players. I just want her to get a few matches against easy opponents under her belt first before facing tougher opposition. Problem is that there are no easy opponents anymore for Caro.

Saraya!
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
This draw, my god..hope she won´t leave Australia Tour with 0-3...

Blu€
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yes, and if that qualifier will do all of us a big favor by taking out Goerges Caro may even get to (but probably not past) Kerber.

Let's pray, Q does her job :hearts: (hopefully Sofia, since Caro always beats her) I can't deal with another Goerges loss this early in the season :bigcry:

Protoss
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM
It's not that I want her to avoid the dangerous players. I just want her to get a few matches against easy opponents under her belt first before facing tougher opposition. Problem is that there are no easy opponents anymore for Caro.
Somebody for whom there are no easy opponents should be ranked well #10 in the world. :(

I do think there are some opponents in the top 100 that she could beat comfortably though.

goldenlox
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
This draw, my god..hope she won´t leave Australia Tour with 0-3...If Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne turn out to be a disaster, Caro & her dad have to start re-assessing what they're dong. Its been a full year and a half since she was #1 by 3000 points, holding 9 titles.

Maybe having her dad as coach hurts her game. She doesnt seem motivated at the level she used to be.
She might need a coach who will force her to hit every shot well, and wont accept bad match play. Force her to go run and practice after a loss

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2013, 05:28 PM
It's a logical presumption that Caroline needs someone else besides her dad to resurrect her game,but is she CAPABLE of trusting someone else with her career??Trust is such a huge factor between player and coach in the WTA--I'd guess much more of a factor than it is with ATPers--and it can affect nearly every aspect of a player's performance

marineblue
Jan 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Good point,and I'm afraid the answer would be no. She has already tried two different coaches and neither suited her needs. I think that it's going to remain on Piotr's shoulders at least for this season. But that might be for the better,though. It was him who helped her to win two titles last year and score a win against a top 10 player in ages.
I think that he is a big help for her, the problem is that he cannot go on the court for her when she is not going by his instructions. And judging by the last loss, she probably isn't.

Martn7
Jan 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM
She really should beat Ula, but after her loss to Pervak it seems that she can lose to almost anyone right now. Let's hope it was just because it was her first match of the year and she was rusty, and she will play better in Sydney. I'm not too worried about the possibility of a match versus Goerges since she has to beat Ula first

CWTennis
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:36 PM
angelikf (https://twitter.com/angelikf) Angelica Fratini
R. Sanchez: I think that at this time there is no qualified coach to train Wozniacki as father and daughter have a very special chemistry.

TennisFan66
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I do think there are some opponents in the top 100 that she could beat comfortably though.

Do tell ...

Martn7
Jan 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM
angelikf (https://twitter.com/angelikf) Angelica Fratini
R. Sanchez: I think that at this time there is no qualified coach to train Wozniacki as father and daughter have a very special chemistry.

He said that when he was Caro's coach he wanted her to hit more sliced shots and volley more often. Piotr wasn't prepared to leave Caro alone with Sanchez in the circuit and he thinks that is why it didn't work. He thinks that if he had continued being Caro's coach she would still be in the top 5 and she could have won a Grand Slam. He also said that he has a good relationship with Piotr and they were together in Sofia

Trey
Jan 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I Wonder Now Long it will take before Caro ready too Break outta her shell and wants be Coached by a real Coach beside her dad, someone who willing to help her improve her game hopefully that happen soon

bruce goose
Jan 5th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Good point,and I'm afraid the answer would be no. She has already tried two different coaches and neither suited her needs. I think that it's going to remain on Piotr's shoulders at least for this season. But that might be for the better,though. It was him who helped her to win two titles last year and score a win against a top 10 player in ages.
I think that he is a big help for her, the problem is that he cannot go on the court for her when she is not going by his instructions. And judging by the last loss, she probably isn't.What's appalling sometimes is the simplistic mindset that exists at TF;people either unfairly bash Piotr as if he had totally failed to raise his daughter correctly...and then there are those who go to the other extreme in suggesting that it would be some sort of traumatic sacrilege if Caro ever got a typical coach and let her coach/father return to being just dad...neither is an intelligent summation.On the one hand,despite the Slam shortcomings,Piotr did fairly well for someone w/o a coaching pedigree,both as a coach AND a father,in helping Caro achieve what she has done in life.In re the other side of the extreme,Mary Pierce had some great success after parting ways with a warped,controlling father who was far worse than Piotr could ever be on his worst day and,IMO,she wasn't as mentally strong as Caro....that is to say,if SHE was able,than Caroline most likely is,too

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I Wonder Now Long it will take before Caro ready too Break outta her shell and wants be Coached by a real Coach beside her dad, someone who willing to help her improve her game hopefully that happen soonI think this is a key year. If Caroline has another year like 2012, it becomes a save-your-career situation.

Right now it looks like the way she prepares for matches doesnt help her win them. And that should be the whole point of the preparation: to win titles. To be a factor at majors.
Its not just working hard, its working smart. Trying to get the mental toughness back, that seems to be the biggest problem

marineblue
Jan 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
What's appalling sometimes is the simplistic mindset that exists at TF;people either unfairly bash Piotr as if he had totally failed to raise his daughter correctly...and then there are those who go to the other extreme in suggesting that it would be some sort of traumatic sacrilege if Caro ever got a typical coach and let her coach/father return to being just dad...neither is an intelligent summation.On the one hand,despite the Slam shortcomings,Piotr did fairly well for someone w/o a coaching pedigree,both as a coach AND a father,in helping Caro achieve what she has done in life.In re the other side of the extreme,Mary Pierce had some great success after parting ways with a warped,controlling father who was far worse than Piotr could ever be on his worst day and,IMO,she wasn't as mentally strong as Caro....that is to say,if SHE was able,than Caroline most likely is,too

I am not one of those,actually. Had she been doing well with either of coaches that were hired then there wouldn't be an issue. But she wasn't,it's as simple as that. One coach never fit in the team and with the help of the other one the only 'highlight' she achieved was her first-ever R1 loss in a slam.So, I can't see any reason why she should be so keen to drop the only coach who has ever helped her achieve something in her career. Her and her dad have a very special bond as many observed. Such relationship is difficult to re-create with a stranger especially after 15 or so years of being coached by one person. She's wise to leave things as they are.

goldenlox
Jan 5th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I am not one of those,actually. Had she been doing well with either of coaches that were hired then there wouldn't be an issue. But she wasn't,it's as simple as that. One coach never fit in the team and with the help of the other one the only 'highlight' she achieved was her first-ever R1 loss in a slam.So, I can't see any reason why she should be so keen to drop the only coach who has ever helped her achieve something in her career. Her and her dad have a very special bond as many observed. Such relationship is difficult to re-create with a stranger especially after 15 or so years of being coached by one person. She's wise to leave things as they are.Those were part time coaches. This was the #1 player for 2010, 2011. Early in her career. Now she won 2 titles in the last 16 months.
Lets see how this year plays out. Losing to Pervak in a hardcourt Tier I while Caroline is healthy is one of her worst losses in years.
Caroline won 5 Tier I's in a row, mid 2010- spring 2011.
Something seems wrong. But maybe this was a one-off fluke.

Protoss
Jan 5th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Those were part time coaches. This was the #1 player for 2010, 2011. Early in her career. Now she won 2 titles in the last 16 months.
Lets see how this year plays out. Losing to Pervak in a hardcourt Tier I while Caroline is healthy is one of her worst losses in years.
Caroline won 5 Tier I's in a row, mid 2010- spring 2011.
Something seems wrong. But maybe this was a one-off fluke.
Even if things do pick up for Caro, I don't see her acheiving those post 2010 Wimbledon run type results again. :shrug:

I think it would be more appropriate to compare her results to an earlier period such as 2009 or the 1st half of 2010.

Protoss
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Tough draw for Caro but there aren't many draws that would be considered easy for her these days. :shrug: Based on the draw she should make it to the quarters but just winning in the 1st round would be pretty good at this point.

Good luck Caro. :)

Trey
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:07 PM
wat time will her match start in usa

terjw
Jan 5th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Whatever we think about the coaching situation and Piotr - it could be a lot worse. I used to be a fan of JJ and Kim. JJ got to #1 at the end of 2008. I think it was immediately after the AO 2009 that she fired Sanchez as her coach. She tried a coach for a fortnight and was confused so let him go. So she went for a little while without a coach at all. In fact in her career - JJ has had Sanchez three separate time periods - firing him twice but then coming back to him.

Whatever players without a coach may say - and I've heard JJ, Ana Ivanovic, Kim in 2006, heard them all say when they didn't have a coach how they didn't really need one and knew what they needed to work on and could do that with a hitting partner. But the times when they had no coach at all - their game just got worse.

At least with Piotr Caro has got a coach and has never been without a coach at all.

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Good start in Sydney after that disaster in Brisbane.
Now this draw will tell a lot, and Melbourne is where she needs her best tennis

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Let me say that,as a Latino,I'm all in favor of keeping things within the family,but sometimes love can creep into dependency...to an unhealthy extent.I can't honestly say whether Caroline has crossed that line or not,yet we can't deny the possibility that something could happen which would make Piotr unavailable as a coach.God forbid...but it's occurred several times within my OWN family...that Piotr got cancer and was too ill to tour with Caro......Would she simply retire at that point??(I wouldn't fault her if she did,btw)If,indeed,Caroline is unable to succeed with any other coach,then that's not exactly the best endorsement for her level of mental toughness.Again,Piotr certainly hasn't been a BAD coach,per se;however,he's raised some reasonable doubts with some of his approaches

Having said all that: Nice win today,Sunshine:):hug:

Protoss
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Caro plays the winner of Goerges/Kuznetsova in the 2nd round.

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM
In case anyone has forgotten,Caro is 5-2 vs. the 2-time Slam winner with 4 straight triumphs,including that memorable 2009 USO match

Trey
Jan 7th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Sven Is down there with her today

Protoss
Jan 7th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Sven Is down there with her today
Ugh. I hope this means she isn't working with Adidas development team. :(

I think they're close to useless.

Trey
Jan 7th, 2013, 03:41 AM
she need someone too train with atm

Jorn
Jan 7th, 2013, 03:50 AM
SvetaK wins 36 63 63.

Better that H2H Caro!

bruce goose
Jan 7th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Despite the recent H2H struggles,it's certainly not a given that Caro would've lost to the German if Sunshine gave an effort like she did in the 1st Round...let's see how well she follows up:)

C. W. Fields
Jan 7th, 2013, 05:26 AM
So, Sveta it is, that's both good and bad. Good, because Caro has good chances of winning that match-up and getting some matches under her belt before AO. Bad, because she needs to break that losing streak against Julia at some point (like she did against Li Na in Tokyo) and doing it right before AO would've been a far better morale booster than another win over Sveta (presumably).

NB: But if Caro beats Sveta, she'll likely face another 3-times losing streak in QF; Kerber.

marineblue
Jan 7th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I think Sveta is a better match-up than Julia. Caro somehow doesn't know how to handle Julia. There's be a real danger that Goerges would defeat her even though she's not at her best atm. The real test will come in QF. Kerber is a huge challenge for Caro and she'll need to play at her best to stand a chance.

Protoss
Jan 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM
I think Sveta is a better match-up than Julia. Caro somehow doesn't know how to handle Julia. There's be a real danger that Goerges would defeat her even though she's not at her best atm. The real test will come in QF. Kerber is a huge challenge for Caro and she'll need to play at her best to stand a chance.
Caro's shots are too friendly for Goerges as they sit up and are too much in the middle of the court. Caro's bffs Aga and Vika do a lot better against Goerges : Aga hits flatter shots that aren't as much in Goerges' strike zone and Vika really angles the ball out of the middle of the court. Also, both aren't useless/clueless against Goerges' moonballing tactic.

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Either way, its important for Caroline to have a good run these next 3 weeks.
Now she's coming off a good win. She needs to put a few of these together.
Consistency has become one of her biggest problems.

Early this year Stosur & Kvitova are struggling. The mental part of this game is huge. Somehow, Caroline dropped off in the area of mental toughness. The only way she is going to get anywhere near the top again is to fight hard for every set, especially on her serve, and especially at hardcourt Premiers, mandatories & even moreso, at the AO & USO

Apia Intl Sydney ‏@SydneyTennis
UPDATE: #Wozniacki (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Wozniacki&src=hash)- #Kuznetsova (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Kuznetsova&src=hash) have been moved to 3rd on Centre Court tomorrow. Zheng-Keys to Ct.6, #Kerber (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Kerber&src=hash) to Grandstand #SydneyTennis (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SydneyTennis&src=hash)

rucolo
Jan 7th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Nice start in Sydney. Caroline leads Head To Head vs Ula now 4-0 :D

R2 match vs Kuznetsova will tell us more. Ula is weak, Kuznetsova always dangerous :unsure:

bruce goose
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Though it's not an empirical fact,it's hard to refute the argument that Rory is somewhat of a deterrent to Caro's career.Still,I saw the photo gallery of them this morning and they looked like a couple of cute dorks in love;he seems to really adore Caroline.Ideally,she would learn to balance relationship and tennis well,but I'm glad that she's stable AS A PERSON even when her tennis is less than perfect--and that she can find happiness from other sources:).Caroline is clearly not one of the WTA's infamous trophy slut gfs...whom we won't bother naming here:angel:

CWTennis
Jan 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Caro's 2013 schedule!
http://carolinewozniacki.dk/tour-12/

There's Charleston & Luxemburg, but no New Haven, Stuttgart, Moscow, Seoul!

Blu€
Jan 7th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Kuala Lumpur :confused: that's odd! What was all the Katowice talk about then? :lol:
Big month gap between Charleston and Madrid.
No New Haven, that's a shocker :lol:

Martn7
Jan 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM
She seems to like New Haven a lot, so it's strange that it isn't on her schedule :eek:

Trey
Jan 8th, 2013, 01:32 AM
She might ask for WC for Moscow & New Haven

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Caro is now scheduled to play 6 tournaments in a row. :rolleyes: Plus she's playing an exhibition before Indian Wells and Miami. :rolleyes: Normally I'd prefer for her not to play more then two or three tournaments so she can get some rest and do some training. This is just ridiculous. :(

Please be smart in your scheduling for a change, Caro. Sigh.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Comeback stories are sweet,but I'd rather that Caro let that happen at someone else's expense

C. W. Fields
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Caro is now scheduled to play 6 tournaments in a row. :rolleyes: Plus she's playing an exhibition before Indian Wells and Miami. :rolleyes: Normally I'd prefer for her not to play more then two or three tournaments so she can get some rest and do some training. This is just ridiculous. :(

Well, at her current level she doesn't seem in danger of playing too many matches!

DownInAHole
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:58 AM
She is being extremely optimistic listing the WTA Championships as part of her schedule.:unsure:

marineblue
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:06 AM

Well, I think this schedule is actually going to help her because she lost early in 2 events already. She needs many points to improve her ranking so she needs to play more. It's a realistic plan IMO.

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Well, at her current level she doesn't seem in danger of playing too many matches!

Well, I think this schedule is actually going to help her because she lost early in 2 events already. She needs many points to improve her ranking so she needs to play more. It's a realistic plan IMO.
There's also travel and media obligations as well.

Improve her ranking? Seriously? She's playing nowhere near the level of her current ranking #10. :(

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:32 AM
She is being extremely optimistic listing the WTA Championships as part of her schedule.:unsure:
That year she listed the YEC as part of her schedule as well. :shrug: There's still the possibility of Sofia again. :shrug:

Caro seems to have squandered whatever momentum she might have had coming out of last year's post US Open season. :(

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Caro had 20 winners 35 unforced errors for the match. :rolleyes:

Caro is kind of in between: 20 winners isn't that many winners over 3 sets if you're trying to be more aggressive, 35 unforced errors with an almost two unforced errors to one winner ratio is far too many if you're trying to play a defensive/consistent game.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 8th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Sadly this was an expected loss, i didn't see the match, so maybe i am wrong, but i definitely believe that Caro is back to her messy self of last summer-spring when didn't really know what to do on court and when to be aggressive and when not.
Honestly i believe that will just be her standard from now on if piotr won't leave

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Caro is kind of in between: 20 winners isn't that many winners over 3 sets if you're trying to be more aggressive, 35 unforced errors with an almost two unforced errors to one winner ratio is far too many if you're trying to play a defensive/consistent game.

Yep, agree. This is really the tale of the tennis girl sitting between the two chairs.

I've only seen the match against Ula and already there, I felt it was clear, that Caro wasn't really competitive, if the opponent didn't suck majorly.

Hence, I did not get up to watch the match Vs Sveta.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Well, at her current level she doesn't seem in danger of playing too many matches!I would agree. At her level the last 16 months, it doesnt matter what she does week to week. She loses early, she might go watch some golf. But she has the whole week off, most weeks.
Caroline is almost at a panic type of situation. Where her career as an elite player, a player people mention before a major, is almost over.

She & her dad had better think hard about what they're doing. The goal isnt to work hard in practice, then lose early in a tournament and take a vacation.
The goal is to improve in practice then have each tournament be a long hard week.

But her game has become a disaster. She's not steady and she is not effective when she tries to be aggressive. The biggest problem is that her dad has broken her down mentally. Its a coach's job to build a player up, mentally. Not tear them apart.
We are watching a player who is very weak mentally. Sounds unbelievable from where she was in spring of 2010, but its very real, and very hard to change. Look at Jankovic & Ivanovic

DownInAHole
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Sadly this was an expected loss, i didn't see the match, so maybe i am wrong, but i definitely believe that Caro is back to her messy self of last summer-spring when didn't really know what to do on court and when to be aggressive and when not.
Honestly i believe that will just be her standard from now on if piotr won't leave

Of course I am only speculating but if these kind of results continue I have to believe that eventually Piotr will ask Caroline to consider a new coach. I'm sure that he would rather see her win with someone else as opposed to retaining him as her coach and continue to struggle. I suspect that by the end of the year she will either be doing much better or big changes are going to happen.

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I'm wondering if Caro and her team watch some video of her matches together. I think it could be useful to go over some points and evaluate what she should do in in that (aggressive vs defensive).

Johansson wasn't really in the picture anymore after the US Open last year. :shrug:

DownInAHole
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm wondering if Caro and her team watch some video of her matches together. I think it could be useful to go over some points and evaluate what she should do in in that (aggressive vs defensive).

Johansson wasn't really in the picture anymore after the US Open last year. :shrug:

I'm sure that they do. If you read some of the comments that her coaches have made over the last year and a half they seem to understand that she gets herself into trouble when she plants herself well beyond the baseline. Caroline has to know that but it seems that she has trouble moving in during an actual match. I would guess that the problem is her defensive mentality and that it is extremely hard for her not to stay in her comfort zone.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm sure that they do. If you read some of the comments that her coaches have made over the last year and a half they seem to understand that she gets herself into trouble when she plants herself well beyond the baseline. Caroline has to know that but it seems that she has trouble moving in during an actual match. I would guess that the problem is her defensive mentality and that it is extremely hard for her not to stay in her comfort zone.Thats when she was winning. She stayed back where she was comfortable. Now she plays like she has no comfort zone.
Her dad, and Caro, destroyed her old game. And this new game makes her irrelevant in good fields.
I bet she's already planning her trip to Abu Dhabi after an early round loss in Melbourne. Seems inevitable unless she gets an amazingly soft week 1 draw

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Caroline is almost at a panic type of situation. Where her career as an elite player, a player people mention before a major, is almost over.

She & her dad had better think hard about what they're doing. The goal isnt to work hard in practice, then lose early in a tournament and take a vacation.
The goal is to improve in practice then have each tournament be a long hard week.

But her game has become a disaster. She's not steady and she is not effective when she tries to be aggressive. The biggest problem is that her dad has broken her down mentally. Its a coach's job to build a player up, mentally. Not tear them apart.
We are watching a player who is very weak mentally. Sounds unbelievable from where she was in spring of 2010, but its very real, and very hard to change. Look at Jankovic & Ivanovic

You can remove the almost.

As for the 2nd highlighted, I am somewhat disappointed to see you jump on the 'anti-Piotr' bandwagon and frankly, displays a lack of knowledge on your part.

Piotr has from her early junior days drilled into Caro , that losing a tennis match is not the end of the world. If anything, imho, Caro is taking too loosely on her career, tennis match loses. It doesn't seem to affect her at all. She doesn't care, as she's got Rory.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:59 AM
You can remove the almost.

As for the 2nd highlighted, I am somewhat disappointed to see you jump on the 'anti-Piotr' bandwagon and frankly, displays a lack of knowledge on your part.

Piotr has from a very young age drilled into Caro, that losing a tennis match is not the end of the world. If anything, imho, Caro is taking too loosely on her career, tennis match loses. It doesn't seem to affect her at all. She doesn't care, as she's got Rory.Of course losing at tennis is not the end of the world. Especially where Caro is now. She can retire today and live the life of a celebrity billionaire who was #1 in the world of tennis for 2010 & 2011.
But looking back at where she was when she played Cibulkova at Wimbledon (#1 by 3000 points, holding 9 titles, in 15 semis of her previous 19 tournaments). From that Cibulkova match to where she is now, as a tennis player, Caro and her dad made some decisions that didnt work out
I'm looking at it from the perspective of a young player's tennis career, which has unraveled terribly.
As a person, she is set up to enjoy the rest of her life in many ways

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
^ Cannot disagree with that. I just thought your comment that Piotr had mentally broken Caro was far out. Far far out. And completely untrue. Else I pretty much agree with everything you post.

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:53 AM

:lol:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I think I have a better chance of winning the Euro jackpot than Caro making it to the YEC.

More realistic could be, this being Caro's last year on the tour.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM
:lol:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I think I have a better chance of winning the Euro jackpot than Caro making it to the YEC.

More realistic could be, this being Caro's last year on the tour.Its still early in the year, no matter how things look now.
But its on Caroline's shoulders. Its her career, and she is responsible for it. Not her dad or any coach

Saraya!
Jan 8th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Its still early in the year, no matter how things look now.
But its on Caroline's shoulders. Its her career, and she is responsible for it. Not her dad or any coach

Definitly agree!!!!!!!!!!

Where´s going her way?? My god she has to wake up if she really wants to found the way back. She want?

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Definitly agree!!!!!!!!!!

Where´s going her way?? My god she has to wake up if she really wants to found the way back. She want?This is a complicated problem. She probably doesnt want to ditch her dad and hire a full time coach.
But if she keeps falling further & further from the top with her dad always there, how long does she wait to hire a fulltime coach? Maybe she would rather this be it, always have her dad around, than ever tell her dad to stay away, like Sharapova did with her dad.
Its no secret, every player and fan knows you want Caroline in your part of the draw. Its going to be hard for her to change that, looking at how she plays now. Its almost like Kournikova. You get to play on a showcourt in a match you can win. And because you're playing a name player, you get an article written about your win the next day
But thats where things are at. Pretty complicated

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 02:39 PM
This is a complicated problem. She probably doesnt want to ditch her dad and hire a full time coach.
But if she keeps falling further & further from the top with her dad always there, how long does she wait to hire a fulltime coach? Maybe she would rather this be it, always have her dad around, than ever tell her dad to stay away, like Sharapova did with her dad.
Its no secret, every player and fan knows you want Caroline in your part of the draw. Its going to be hard for her to change that, looking at how she plays now. Its almost like Kournikova. You get to play on a showcourt in a match you can win. And because you're playing a name player, you get an article written about your win the next day
But thats where things are at. Pretty complicated
What if Caro got married? I'm not suggesting she do so, at least not at the present moment, but that could change their dynamic. She might not want her dad following her around on the tour then. :shrug:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM
What if Caro got married? I'm not suggesting she do so, at least not at the present moment, but that could change their dynamic. She might not want her dad following her around on the tour then. :shrug:
I think for sure, they are going to keep things the way they are for 2013, and see how it goes.
These big questions are going to be after this season, if she's not at the YEC again
But next is a major, and she already lost round 1 at the last 2 slams.
That has to be her only focus now, winning her next match. Otherwise its one win total at the last 3 tournaments and no wins at the last 3 majors

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Thats when she was winning. She stayed back where she was comfortable. Now she plays like she has no comfort zone.

Her dad, and Caro, destroyed her old game. And this new game makes her irrelevant in good fields.
I bet she's already planning her trip to Abu Dhabi after an early round loss in Melbourne. Seems inevitable unless she gets an amazingly soft week 1 draw
Piotr needs to insist on no vacationing in the event of an early slam loss (before the 4th round for now). That's one thing that bothered me about Johansson.

If Caro wants to just stay in her hotel room like Serena did after her French Open loss, that's fine. I just don't want the loss to be brushed off by running off to Rory.

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Given Caro's apparent confusion about when to be aggressive and when to be defensive, I'm thinking she should opt for defensive play for the next few tournaments at least. She needs time to try to find some rhythm off the ground before going for much.

I've heard a number of times on tv when a player gets off to very erratic start to a match that they should restrict their attempts to attack and try to get some balls back as a means of trying to find their rhythm.

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Piotr needs to insist on no vacationing in the event of an early slam loss (before the 4th round for now). That's one thing that bothered me about Johansson.

If Caro wants to just stay in her hotel room like Serena did after her French Open loss, that's fine. I just don't want the loss to be brushed off by running off to Rory.I dont think anyone can keep Caro from having a vacation if she loses early in Melbourne.
From the outside, it looks like she trains hard, but is regressing.
But who knows what really is going on? Thats why I think she needs a fulltime coach. Unless she can pull out of this with her dad.

Protoss
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I dont think anyone can keep Caro from having a vacation if she loses early in Melbourne.
From the outside, it looks like she trains hard, but is regressing.
But who knows what really is going on? Thats why I think she needs a fulltime coach. Unless she can pull out of this with her dad.
I think a coach does the authority to insist on certain things though. For example, if a player wanted to go out partying the night before an early big match, then the coach should insist that they don't. Sure the player could go out partying but if they respected the authority of their coach they wouldn't. If the player did out go partying, there would need to be some kind of disipline/punishment for that.

So if Caro wants to go on vacation, Piotr should say no.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Of course I am only speculating but if these kind of results continue I have to believe that eventually Piotr will ask Caroline to consider a new coach. I'm sure that he would rather see her win with someone else as opposed to retaining him as her coach and continue to struggle. I suspect that by the end of the year she will either be doing much better or big changes are going to happen.

Dad-daughter relationships are very difficult to understand, I had a friend of mine who was in Italian national team and she was coached by dad and said they were perfect because they were never talking of skiing at home, but since she got injured she prefered to quit the sport rather than go to another coach.

I can definitely Caro prefer to call it a carreer rather than going against dad

they surely do that since every sportsmen does it, whichever the sport is, it would be a great flaw not to use video supports to improve.

Honestly I am very worried by the trend she's taken though, I've seen a video someone posted of her tournament win in Las Vegas a few years ago and she seemed to play harder strokes and missing much less, now she hits puffballs often in the middle of the court and makes a lot of terrible UEs. IMHO it's all in her head, one can't forget how to play...but in all that I still think the racket change didn't help either.

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Piotr needs to insist on no vacationing in the event of an early slam loss (before the 4th round for now).

:lol: .. I am afraid you're touching on another GM myth here. Caro isn't some puppet on a string and Piotr isn't Simon Cowell, the great puppet master. Caro does, what Caro wants. The End.

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
She is being extremely optimistic listing the WTA Championships as part of her schedule.:unsure:In theory,it wouldn't be that hard,and she barely missed making it as an alternate last year....but,yeah,Caro would need to make a BIG step up from the level where she seems to be right now

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:47 PM
What if Caro got married? I'm not suggesting she do so, at least not at the present moment, but that could change their dynamic. She might not want her dad following her around on the tour then. :shrug:Well,part of that would depend on Caro and her bf;they're young people who might feel that marriage is archaic and that merely living together was enough.IF they are both inclined to marry,then it wouldn't be any shocker if Rory proposed and Caroline accepted,but you realize,of course,that Caroline and her hubby would need to carefully maintain some sort of anti-conception plan or else Caroline could easily get pregnant just by accident and derail her career.I say that b/c Caro strikes me as the type who couldn't cavalierly terminate her unborn child's life as so many cold,shallow WTA gals probably would.It would probably affect her psychologically for quite a while.....and,obviously,both motherhood and the quest for it have taken Davenport,Clijsters and Dementieva from the WTA....and I suspect that it'd be hard for Caro to bounce back from such an extended break PLUS the added complications

marineblue
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
There's also travel and media obligations as well.

Improve her ranking? Seriously? She's playing nowhere near the level of her current ranking #10. :(

Yes, the only way to improve her ranking is to play matches,many matches. She's playing badly atm but that doesn't mean she cannot improve,does it?

terjw
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I miss the Caro that used to win all the time - title after title. And the Caro who used to be so mentally tough and hardly ever gifted any free points away. I loved how Caro hung in there to win her match in the 2009 USO match against Sveta. I fear the Caro today would have been blown away in 2 easy sets by Sveta then - except that very doubtful she wouldt haave made it that far to play her.

I miss the Caro up to mid 2011

rucolo
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:21 PM

She has become an UE machine. And so inconsistent. Even Kuznetsova is more consistent :o

rucolo
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I miss the Caro that used to win all the time - title after title. And the Caro who used to be so mentally tough and hardly ever gifted any free points away. I loved how Caro hung in there to win her match in the 2009 USO match against Sveta. I fear the Caro today would have been blown away in 2 easy sets by Sveta then - except that very doubtful she wouldt haave made it that far to play her.

Exactly what I think :(

CWTennis
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM

yes, me too! But what I'm more worried about is that we may never see that Caro again! :sad:

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
yes, me too! But what I'm more worried about is that we may never see that Caro again! :sad:I dont think we will ever see the super steady Caroline again.
But I believe the mental part of this sport is huge. If Caroline has the mental toughness of a great champion, she will figure out a way to cycle back to the top. If not, then she had a great 2 years

Trey
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:17 PM
SHe need too find the balance of when too play more offensive & defensive but the thing is when she get into defensive mode it hard too get her outta that phrase, she don't trust her Offensive game and don't really start playing more aggressive until she lost a set, or about too lose the match, she need too have it in her head too start too the match off being aggressive

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Goldenlox offers a decent hypothesis that Caro's dad unintentionally made her weaker,mentally,by deconstructing her game.It's a fairly reliable rule of psychology that weak people don't become strong(unless they learn how to adapt to stress by undergoing and surviving some sort of major trial),and the opposite is also true.Strong people don't transform into weaklings barring some huge trauma that would break most individuals.....This case would be somewhat different yet we'd have someone that Caro trusts--and lets her guard down to--telling her to re-think everything that she'd followed and believed in...and having that lead to some ugly results.Fortunately,the tennis decline hasn't destabilized Caro as a PERSON,but she appears to have lost tons of confidence on court

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 10:57 PM
This case would be somewhat different yet we'd have someone that Caro trusts--and lets her guard down to--telling her to re-think everything that she'd followed and believed in...and having that lead to some ugly results.

Are you talking about Matt Cronin and those cronies?

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Are you talking about Matt Cronin and those cronies?No,Caroline would never let 'outsiders'--especially those with questionable credibility like Serb-horny Cronin--dictate to her.I'm considering the premise that PIOTR,with good intentions,encouraged the overly-aggressive changes to her game...and now she doesn't trust herself at critical junctures b/c she has lost her more-defensive foundation that led her to previous success........Let's be clear that this is merely a hypothesis and I'm not claiming omniscience on why Caroline's internal confidence seems to have failed

TennisFan66
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:43 PM
I'm considering the premise that PIOTR,with good intentions,encouraged the overly-aggressive changes to her game...

That would go directly against comments made over the 15 years or so .. He favours the stable development, adding on, bit by bit ... Unless of course it's all just been one big scam and he secretly wants Caro to be a BBB and that was his evil plan from the time she was 9!

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:59 PM
That would go directly against comments made over the 15 years or so .. He favours the stable development, adding on, bit by bit ... Unless of course it's all just been one big scam and he secretly wants Caro to be a BBB and that was his evil plan from the time she was 9!Whoever was the main coach between summer of 2011 and now had to be involved in this form drop off. Had to. Thats part of being a coach, keep your player's game from falling apart

bruce goose
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:19 AM
That would go directly against comments made over the 15 years or so .. He favours the stable development, adding on, bit by bit ... Unless of course it's all just been one big scam and he secretly wants Caro to be a BBB and that was his evil plan from the time she was 9!As you indicate in the first portion of your post,what's happened recently has been a clear departure from how Caroline had been developed previously.Although you are correct that Caro makes the final decisions,it's totally unrealistic to suggest that Piotr wasn't consulted prior to the departure from the previous norm and,to some degree at least,he co-signed on the change(as Goldenlox touches on above).

Based on what we've seen from the relationship,if Piotr HAD totally disagreed with the move,he likely would've told Caroline that he still loved and supported her wholeheartedly,but could not take part in something that he felt was harmful to her career...yet would be there with open arms whenever she felt ready to return to the original course he had laid for her.

'Betrayal' is way too strong of a word to use here,but it gives a roundabout generalization of what may have happened within Caroline: She was brought up to follow the course that you refer to above...only to have the person she trusted most--who had designed that course for her--encourage her to stray from it...leading to often-disastrous results.Can we agree that she is so very unsure of herself now on court...as if she didn't know what to believe in??

Protoss
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Whoever was the main coach between summer of 2011 and now had to be involved in this form drop off. Had to. Thats part of being a coach, keep your player's game from falling apart
A head coach of a pro sports team whose team had disappointing to poor results over a couple of years would likely find themselves on the hot seat and in danger of being fired.

Protoss
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:39 AM
She has become an UE machine. And so inconsistent. Even Kuznetsova is more consistent :o
Large numbers of these errors aren't even coming when she's going for her shots. That makes it worse.

Errors from going from her shots are more understandable/ok than just missing on routine shots.

bruce goose
Jan 9th, 2013, 04:12 AM
A head coach of a pro sports team whose team had disappointing to poor results over a couple of years would likely find themselves on the hot seat and in danger of being fired.Caro is so different than one of her Adidas teammates;one can barely go a year without firing a coach(with an aggressive misinformation campaign whereby she pretends to be sweet and angelic:lol:),and the other will play for only one coach on the planet

goldenlox
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Large numbers of these errors aren't even coming when she's going for her shots. That makes it worse.

Errors from going from her shots are more understandable/ok than just missing on routine shots.You have to be concerned that her practice sessions and hard work she puts in arent helping her results.
Whatever the 'excuses' are: Rory, technique change, more aggression, pressure of being #1 without a major, its a year and a half later, and Caroline should be past whatever was holding her back.
Now it seems she works hard before tournaments, then loses immediately. Last spring she lost 10 of 22 matches over 4 months.
Now she starts with 2 losses in 3 matches. When is the last time Vika or Maria lost early at back to back premiers?
Should not be happening now. The end of 2012 should have been a sign of better results in 2013.
This start is very worrisome, if another weak effort at a major, you have to wonder what really is going on, and why arent they changing things, if the current situation is wrecking her career?

Protoss
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:03 PM
You have to be concerned that her practice sessions and hard work she puts in arent helping her results.
Whatever the 'excuses' are: Rory, technique change, more aggression, pressure of being #1 without a major, its a year and a half later, and Caroline should be past whatever was holding her back.
Now it seems she works hard before tournaments, then loses immediately. Last spring she lost 10 of 22 matches over 4 months.
Now she starts with 2 losses in 3 matches. When is the last time Vika or Maria lost early at back to back premiers?
Should not be happening now. The end of 2012 should have been a sign of better results in 2013.
This start is very worrisome, if another weak effort at a major, you have to wonder what really is going on, and why arent they changing things, if the current situation is wrecking her career?
I'm curious to know what they're practicing and how the overall practice sessions are going. If they're practicing the right sort of things and her game is looking pretty good in practice, then it would seem her problems are mental and that some sort of sports psychologist should be looked into.

I don't know. I'd have to guess that it's been years since Vika or Sharapova have lost early at back to back premiers if it has happened. Any of their fans feel like jumping in to clarify this?

I would keep an eye on Caro's losses against players ranked outside the top 30. Despite her struggles she's still won most (between 85% and 90%) of her matches against players outside the top 30 over the past year and a half. If this win-loss record drops a lot this year, then it would be a very bad sign.

Blu€
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I think she needs to string 3-4 good wins together, it did her well after Seoul, she beat Na, had her chances against Aga, close match against Angie and she beat Sam. When she's confident she can pull all kind of matches through but when her confidence is low she can lose to anyone.
Next week is important, hopefully she won't disappoint again.

betowiec
Jan 9th, 2013, 05:49 PM
imo Caro won't make it to the 2nd week in Melbourne.......

backhandsmash
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
3R would be a good result now. R16 or QF if she gets a draw from heaven.

Jorn
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:50 PM
About Caro's contract with Adidas, does anybody here know for how long her contract last? (was it a 10 years long contract?)

It said in GM and some Blogs other players now also will play in Stella dress...

backhandsmash
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I guess we'll find out in a few days' time.

Jorn
Jan 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hun kan altid låne en Nike t-shirt og shorts af Rory, skulle det gå så galt... ;)

Saraya!
Jan 9th, 2013, 08:49 PM
About Caro's contract with Adidas, does anybody here know for how long her contract last? (was it a 10 years long contract?)

It said in GM and some Blogs other players now also will play in Stella dress...

Caro, Petkovic and Robson will play in Stella McCartney...Caro not exclusive anymore..

TennisFan66
Jan 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM

The more exclusive and glamorous 'Stella' line is no more. It has been merged with another Adidas line, Barricade, so the new name will be 'Adidas by Stella McCartney Barricade' .. Some mouthful.

http://www.tennisidentity.com/tennisidentitycom/2013/01/announcing-adidas-by-stella-mccartney-barricade-wozniacki-petkovic-robson-to-wear-new-tennis-collect.html

CWTennis
Jan 9th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Tennis Podcast with Jon Wertheim
starting at 24:25 Lindsay Davenport talks about Caro!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/podcasts/tennis/listenlive.player.html?file=http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/tennis/audio/2013/01/08/010713.tennis.podcast.mp3

betowiec
Jan 10th, 2013, 01:05 AM

supposedly she has a lifetime deal with adidas

bruce goose
Jan 10th, 2013, 04:42 AM
It's only natural for an athlete with competitive spirit to want to start the following year strongly when the previous season has yielded subpar results.We can sort of overlook Brisbane('just the first event back')...and even Sydney('next week's Slam is all that matters')...but if Caro bombs out early in Melbourne and ISN'T noticeably pissed off about it......then I won't be able to offer much to refute naysayers:eek:

goldenlox
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I think she needs to string 3-4 good wins together, it did her well after Seoul, she beat Na, had her chances against Aga, close match against Angie and she beat Sam. When she's confident she can pull all kind of matches through but when her confidence is low she can lose to anyone.
Next week is important, hopefully she won't disappoint again.I think most of the current problem is mental. 22 is very young in tennis. Only 2 majors are won by all the players under 25. Its young for ATP also.
She has to pull herself together. She's capable of much better than losing in early rounds. But her current situation isnt bringing out her ability in matches.
She might have to totally hit bottom before she changes things, or she can do this herself, and start playing well.
But its in her head, because she should never lose up a set to Pervak when she's healthy. I dont think her dad calling her a clown helps her. But she doesnt need real coaching advise to get thru early rounds vs noncontenders. Its a lack of mental toughness

CWTennis
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Draw ceremony about to begin!

C. W. Fields
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Caro line 17
If I'm right she'll play Lisicki 1R!

goldenlox
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Lisicki, so she either starts playing well or 3 first round slam losses in a row.
Get those tickets to Abu Dhabi, or stop playing mentally weak tennis

CWTennis
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Are you fcking kidding me! :hysteric: Another 1R exit :sobbing:

Double A
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:45 PM
...goodbye world.
Incoming first round loss.

goldenlox
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Doesnt matter. She's not playing like a contender. So if she loses round 1 or round 3, its not earth shattering. She has to start playing better. She used to be a top level hardcourt player.
She & her dad just threw that away. Now she has to dig deep and become a good player again.

C. W. Fields
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Well, Lisicki had a bad run the end of last season but I think there's about a 50-50 chance of a Caro 1R exit!
If she survives that match, she may play Donna Vekic in 2R!
Likely Pavlyuchenkova in 3R.
If she gets past the early rounds, it's actually a decent draw, she has the by far preferable higher seed in a potential 4R match: Errani.

CWTennis
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Caro can already book a ticket to Abu-Dhabi! :o

betowiec
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:56 PM
so much for caro making the 2nd week

goldenlox
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:05 PM
The important thing is that she starts to play well.
Its still very early in the year.
Caroline can make her way back to the top 5 and be a US Open contender, or she can continue what she's been doing recently and lose early all the time.
I have no idea why this is happening, but I know she used to be a real good fighter. I remember Caro beating Azarenka & Dementieva back to back in Tokyo 2010, and she never gave up. She has to get that mentality back

Blu€
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM

No one really thought she'd do it, and even less now with this 1st round.

The only thing positive I can think about is that no one expects her to win, so she might surprise us all. Wishful thinking...I just ask her not to drag us to another 3 set match with tie breaks involved just to lose the match once again. I fear another 3 sets loss.

backhandsmash
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Ugh.

Protoss
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Doesnt matter. She's not playing like a contender. So if she loses round 1 or round 3, its not earth shattering. She has to start playing better. She used to be a top level hardcourt player.
She & her dad just threw that away. Now she has to dig deep and become a good player again.
I think it's still a big deal if a top 10 player maybe even a top 15 player loses in the 1st round or two particularly if that player was a former 1.

Protoss
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Well, Lisicki had a bad run the end of last season but I think there's about a 50-50 chance of a Caro 1R exit!
If she survives that match, she may play Donna Vekic in 2R!
Likely Pavlyuchenkova in 3R.
If she gets past the early rounds, it's actually a decent draw, she has the by far preferable higher seed in a potential 4R match: Errani.
Decent later rounds don't mean that much to Caro these days though. Sure before her slump it would have been nice, but now she needs getting into tournaments.

These draws are getting kind of annoying. Caro has now gotten a top 40 ranked player in the 1st round of two of her last three slams. :( As a matter of fact, Lisicki has the same ranking Paszek did, #37. Lisicki is someone who would normally be ranked inside the top 30, likely the top 20 and Paszek is arguably top 20 on grass. In Sydney, she had to play Kuznetsova early would likely be ranked inside the top if not for her long time out due to injury.

Protoss
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Caro can already book a ticket to Abu-Dhabi! :o
That would really tick me off if Caro loses early again and then goes to see Rory again. :( Poor performance shouldn't be "rewarded". :( You don't see other top players who lose early pull this kind of crap.

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:00 AM
That would really tick me off if Caro loses early again and then goes to see Rory again. :( Poor performance shouldn't be "rewarded". :( You don't see other top players who lose early pull this kind of crap.Its easy to see it coming. She's not playing well and if she keeps hitting short puff balls, Lisicki cant lose.
Then its a big week for Rory in Abu Dhabi
But maybe she can start to turn things around. Losing 3 majors in a row without a win is not something for a former #1 to be proud of

Trey
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM
not a nice draw but if she can pull off this win it a good chance she can make too at least an 4th round hoping she win it

Chrissie-fan
Jan 11th, 2013, 02:22 AM
....or even the second day. :help:

Hoergren
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:47 AM
not a nice draw but if she can pull off this win it a good chance she can make too at least an 4th round hoping she win it

Yeah why not be positive. If she's going back to the top she has to beat players like Lisicki, so why not send a lot of good vibes and make her win. Go get her Caro:)

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:36 AM
No offense meant,Sabine fans,but at least Caroline won't be the mentally weaker one in this match(unless someone secretly drops hallucinogens in her water bottle before the match:eek:).

Honestly,if there's ANY competitive fire left in Caroline(and I'd like to think there IS),then she HAS to come out with a mindset that defeat is unacceptable here.If she can still incorporate any of her old defensive tactics,then she can maneuver the cover girl around the court and outsmart her...maybe even frustrate Sabine to where she sits down angrily on a changeover and defaults the match with a bruised butt injury.There's no question that the in-form Caroline had much more champion's desire than this current opponent

Johnbert
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
as a fan of both players, i really hate this 1st round match :tape:

C. W. Fields
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Let's hope that drawing Lisicki will have an effect on Caro similar to when she faced Serena in Miami: she KNEW before going into that match that she would lose if she played her usual patty cakes game, so she had an offensive mindset from the beginning and won.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:51 AM
On a good day sabine could have troubled old Caroline, nowadays even a trash Sabine can walk off in straight

DownInAHole
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:47 AM
So much pessimism! This isn't Lisicki on grass, Caroline has a great chance of winning this.

TennisFan66
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM

I doubt anyone here expects that ..

But if she could make 2nd round, it would be nice!

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Its similar to Wimbledon. No reason the winner of this match shouldnt get to Vika.
To me, losing round 3 to Kanepi, or round 1 to Pazsek or Lisicki is the same thing.
You have to beat players like Lisicki, Kanepi, Pazsek to get past the 3rd round anyway.
Its better she plays Sabine in round 1, because she knows she has to be ready and she can enjoy the whole tournament in Abu Dhabi or the whole week in Melbourne.

The much bigger issue is her level of play. Her mental toughness. She wont be any trouble for a player like Vika until she pulls herself together mentally. Its possible she lost the mental edge forever, like Jankovic, Ivanovic.
Thats why she had to be very careful about any technique or style of play changes. It messes with the mental toughness she had, knowing how to win with her old game

But I saw Sharapova change her service motion, then change back, and she won again.
So ultimately, the rest of Caroline's career is a test of her mental toughness, and that determines who is a great player and who isnt

Saraya!
Jan 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM
My god..she can´t win vs. Lisicki on top when she was #1... and now ???? My god, 5 points for the 1st round, will lose 495 points and the 3rd slam she go out in 1st round in a row.

marineblue
Jan 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Lisicki is going to be a challenge but still, I think Caro can do this. She should be quite motivated now to get some good results after a slow start into the season. Hopefully,she won't show a repeat of UO 2012 here...

Saraya!
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Lisicki is going to be a challenge but still, I think Caro can do this. She should be quite motivated now to get some good results after a slow start into the season. Hopefully,she won't show a repeat of UO 2012 here...

Wimbledon 2012 1 st round out

US Open 2012 1 st round out

Aus Open 2013 1 st round Lisicki..it is not funny.

C. W. Fields
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
My god..she can´t win vs. Lisicki on top when she was #1... and now ????

Caro didn't play Lisicki when she was #1. Their last match was at Wimbledon 09 and they were ranked #9 and #41, much the same as now where they're #10 and #37.

Saraya!
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Caro didn't play Lisicki when she was #1. Their last match was at Wimbledon 09 and they were ranked #9 and #41, much the same as now where they're #10 and #37.

Oh really...doesn´t matter..she lost the last match and she will lose this also. So sad. Could cry.:sad:

Protoss
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Let's hope drawing Lisicki will have the same effect on Caro as when she played Serena in Miami: she KNEW going into that match that she'd lose if she played her usual patty cakes game, so she had an offensive mindset from the start.
I dunno. There are lots of matches against offensive players where she brings her passive/defensive mindset to them. :shrug:

I kind of think depth of shot will be more important to Caro than being more aggressive. Plus return of serve will be important: Caro didn't break Lisicki once in their last two matches, that's 19 service games.

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lets hope its like Pazsek, where she shows up ready to play reasonably well.
I think its better like this, where she knows going in its like a week 2 opponent.
She needs the mental part, and here she knows she has to be as focused as she can possibly be

Protoss
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Its similar to Wimbledon. No reason the winner of this match shouldnt get to Vika.
To me, losing round 3 to Kanepi, or round 1 to Pazsek or Lisicki is the same thing.
You have to beat players like Lisicki, Kanepi, Pazsek to get past the 3rd round anyway.
Its better she plays Sabine in round 1, because she knows she has to be ready and she can enjoy the whole tournament in Abu Dhabi or the whole week in Melbourne.

The much bigger issue is her level of play. Her mental toughness. She wont be any trouble for a player like Vika until she pulls herself together mentally. Its possible she lost the mental edge forever, like Jankovic, Ivanovic.
Thats why she had to be very careful about any technique or style of play changes. It messes with the mental toughness she had, knowing how to win with her old game

But I saw Sharapova change her service motion, then change back, and she won again.
So ultimately, the rest of Caroline's career is a test of her mental toughness, and that determines who is a great player and who isnt
I'd say Pavlyuchenkova is the favorite to reach the quarters against Vika as she's clearly playing the best to start off the year. Kuznetsova is probably the 2nd favorite to the reach the quarters in this section.

Losing in the 1st round of a slam is generally a lot more embarssing than losing in the 3rd round.

I don't think it's a good thing for Caro to be playing a pretty tough opponent like Lisicki at the very beginning of a tournament. Caro is someone who normally needs a lot of matches to get in good form. So by getting such tough opposition at the start of tournaments, Caro ends up getting a limited amount of match play and thus makes the process of finding good form drag on.

In the case of the losses to Paszek and Kanepi, I'd say that those are players that arguably better than Caro on grass and clay respectively. Pre-slump Caro was a lot better on hard court than Lisicki. :shrug:

I think the state of Caro's shots is as much of the problem as her mentality. For example, even if Caro still had a good mentality, Vika would be taking of Caro's serve and all the short balls she gives. :shrug:

goldenlox
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's a good thing for Caro to be playing a pretty tough opponent like Lisicki at the very beginning of a tournament. Caro is someone who normally needs a lot of matches to get in good form. So by getting such tough opposition at the start of tournaments, Caro ends up getting a limited amount of match play and thus makes the process of finding good form drag on.

I think the state of Caro's shots is as much of the problem as her mentality. For example, even if Caro still had a good mentality, Vika would be taking of Caro's serve and all the short balls she gives. :shrug:
Caroline just had 2 very ordinary draws and lost early. So this is something different. After she lost in round 3 to Kanepi, she didnt win a match for 2 months. So getting a soft first 2 rounds didnt help her. Playing someone who is having an awful day, like her one win this year vs URad, just masks the problems that she's having.

She & her dad have to look at every facet of her practice sessions. The goal is not to work hard in practice then underachieve in matches.
Thats been happening for too long now. Might be for the rest of her career if they dont figure out how to make her practices a way to improve her game

CWTennis
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM
you can call me a pessimist but I think Caro's chances to win this match are slim, especially if Lisicki serve is on, Caro isn't a good returner and we know how often Caro gets broken in her matches, plus her 1st serve is inconsistent and she is making too many ue's lately!

Protoss
Jan 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM
so true! :sobbing: because physically she can't be in better shape than she is now!
Like C.W. Fields said awhile back, Caro had more oomph on her shots when she weighed a bit more a couple of years ago. I'm not sure that's just a coincidence.

For instance, Ana Ivanovic used to have a lot more oomph on her shots before she lost a weight.

Saraya!
Jan 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
you can call me a pessimist but I think Caro's chances to win this match are slim, especially if Lisicki serve is on, Caro isn't a good returner and we know how often Caro gets broken in her matches, plus her 1st serve is inconsistent and she is making too many ue's lately!

Agree!! So sad.

Protoss
Jan 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM
So much pessimism! This isn't Lisicki on grass, Caroline has a great chance of winning this.
This type of matchup is somewhat problematic even if Caro were in better form. See Caro's struggles against Goerges and Stosur, for instance.

Caro's gotta do a good job returning and actually get some breaks of serve to have a shot at winning this match.

DownInAHole
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Oh really...doesn´t matter..she lost the last match and she will lose this also. So sad. Could cry.:sad:

You really need to consider the surface. On grass Sabine is a much better player than she is on a hardcourt. For whatever reason her serve is extremely good on grass but not nearly as effective on a hardcourt. Obviously Caroline is still very vulnerable but she can win this.

marineblue
Jan 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
This type of matchup is somewhat problematic even if Caro were in better form. See Caro's struggles against Goerges and Stosur, for instance.

Caro's gotta do a good job returning and actually get some breaks of serve to have a shot at winning this match.

Well,both players are better than Lisicki,imo. Caro's biggest opponent is her lack of matches right because of a bad start to the season.

marineblue
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Wimbledon 2012 1 st round out

US Open 2012 1 st round out

Aus Open 2013 1 st round Lisicki..it is not funny.

Well, Lisicki is ranked 37; there are much bigger challenges then her in a draw.

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
You really need to consider the surface. On grass Sabine is a much better player than she is on a hardcourt. For whatever reason her serve is extremely good on grass but not nearly as effective on a hardcourt. Obviously Caroline is still very vulnerable but she can win this.Yeah,I can understand the concern and skepticism but,as you indicate,Caro's not facing peak Graf or some other legend.She's certainly capable,in top form,of blowing Caro off the court;however,she's ALSO capable--if past conduct is any clue--of meeting some handsome Aussie male stripper at a bar and staying out until 3am,barely getting a wink of sleep,and then getting destroyed by Caroline(which may have happened ANYway back when Caro was steadier)....or she might drop her tennis bag on her toe and then add to her long list of injury defaults,this time with Sunshine:angel: as the beneficiary.

As Goldenlox touched on before,if ass-whuppings don't motivate Caro to improve,then there's no hope at all in the immediate future...and having easy draws didn't seem to help her at all,so we might as well see how she responds to a test

Protoss
Jan 12th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Caro is practicing with Makarova on saturday which seems an odd choice to me. Makarova is a lefty and I don't think she plays that much like Lisicki.

bruce goose
Jan 12th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Caroline's multi-time victim,the sweet Elena Vesnina,won her first---and probably only-ever---singles title today after 6 finals losses....So it's time for Caro to break her own schneid at this Slam:angel:

JadeFox
Jan 12th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'm not a religious person but I think a prayer circle would be a good idea right now. :o

goldenlox
Jan 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I'm not a religious person but I think a prayer circle would be a good idea right now. :o
22 is still young. If her career falls apart like Jankovic/Ivanovic, then Caroline was never that mentally tough anyway. You have to handle adversity. I dont even know if Caroline had adversity or just bad coaching.
But whatever happened, its still early in her career, and she has to figure out how to compete better. Now she's lost 3 of her last 4 matches (none against YEC players), going back to a onesided loss to Petrova to end 2012. She has to figure out how to improve, and compete better. She used to be great at competing. She was #1 just one year ago.

Protoss
Jan 12th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I think that something she said in the second video may help to explain the current state of her game. At about 9:20 she was asked what she was working on most during the offseason and she basically said that she was working mostly on her fitness. Specifically she said "in the end of the day everyone knows how to play tennis everyone knows every shot so that's not the biggest key for me." I find that extremely discouraging. Clearly her game has some areas that need to be fixed but it doesn't sound like she spent much time doing that. Of course it is important for her to be fit but shouldn't she also be working on her serve, return, forehand, volleys, drop shots, slices et cetera? After both 2010 and 2011 I was disappointed with the lack of growth and improvement in her game and it looks like this could be more of the same.
Yah, those are pretty dissapointing comments from Caro.

Caro's fitness isn't gonna win her matches against the top 20 on the occasion that she plays them as most of them are in good physical shape.

If everyone knows every shot, then can why can't Caro hit a decent/solid forehand on a regular basis, for example? :rolleyes:

Is she really blind or in denial of her technical weaknesses? Surely she's noticed her forehand not working the majority of the time or her serve giving her few free points. I don't understand this reluctance to spend time working on technique. She puts in time on her fitness so it doesn't seem like it's an issue of being unwilling to work hard. :confused:

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Yah, those are pretty dissapointing comments from Caro.

Caro's fitness isn't gonna win her matches against the top 20 on the occasion that she plays them as most of them are in good physical shape.

If everyone knows every shot, then can why can't Caro hit a decent/solid forehand on a regular basis, for example? :rolleyes:

Is she really blind or in denial of her technical weaknesses? Surely she's noticed her forehand not working the majority of the time or her serve giving her few free points. I don't understand this reluctance to spend time working on technique. She puts in time on her fitness so it doesn't seem like it's an issue of being unwilling to work hard. :confused:This is just guesswork,but maybe Caroline likes fitness training much more because she has more control over the results.Getting into good shape is largely a matter of effort and dedication;if you put in the time,you'll likely see improvement.On the other hand,Caro's struggled to find an effective FH for years--perhaps she feels it's futile:eek:

marineblue
Jan 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
To me her comments imply that she'll be heading the old direction and focus on developing her defense. We'll see a lot of loong rallies this season.

goldenlox
Jan 13th, 2013, 09:55 AM
This match isnt her whole year. Its just a tough round 1 draw.
But whether she starts playing well enough to be a contender at majors, thats the issue they have to address.
Much easier to lose early and watch golf all week than focus and compete and win these matches. She has to make the mental effort needed to outlast Lisicki. She needs that mental toughness every match, or she will be watching a lot of golf after early round losses

JadeFox
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:07 PM
22 is still young. If her career falls apart like Jankovic/Ivanovic, then Caroline was never that mentally tough anyway. You have to handle adversity. I dont even know if Caroline had adversity or just bad coaching.
But whatever happened, its still early in her career, and she has to figure out how to compete better. Now she's lost 3 of her last 4 matches (none against YEC players), going back to a onesided loss to Petrova to end 2012. She has to figure out how to improve, and compete better. She used to be great at competing. She was #1 just one year ago.

I was more focused on this opening round match rather than her entire career but yes she still has time.

The Australian Summer season has never been that great for her. Probably because she lacks matches under her belt.

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM
To me her comments imply that she'll be heading the old direction and focus on developing her defense. We'll see a lot of loong rallies this season.Honestly,it wouldn't bother me if Caro reverted to her old style and found success with it again.She'd still hit that invisible wall in Slam QFs and SFs until she improved her serve and learned how to put people away by attacking on certain key BPs and GPs,but at least her confidence and poise would likely return with the success

Protoss
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
To me her comments imply that she'll be heading the old direction and focus on developing her defense. We'll see a lot of loong rallies this season.
Lack of depth on her shots would be a problem even if she returns to an exclusively defensive style. That and hitting up the middle a lot would give her opponents too many easy opportunities to hit winners.

rucolo
Jan 13th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Aus Open R1 Caroline vs Sabine Lisicki :eek: Finally they meet again. Excited :hearts:

Definitely the match of R1. Tough for the loser, nice for the winner. Good luck, Caro ;)

marineblue
Jan 13th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Honestly,it wouldn't bother me if Caro reverted to her old style and found success with it again.She'd still hit that invisible wall in Slam QFs and SFs until she improved her serve and learned how to put people away by attacking on certain key BPs and GPs,but at least her confidence and poise would likely return with the success

I think that had she not experimented with her style she could have won a slam at this point. She lost in the past but she did also score some great victories so it seemed to me she was on a right path to get there. In 2012 she took a step back so now she needs to find her game again and string enough wins together to feel confident again.