PDA

View Full Version : There's an 'Odd Couple' in heaven, now. RIP Jack Klugman

JN
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
"Odd Couple" Actor Jack Klugman Dies at 90

http://www.starscolor.com/images/jack-klugman-02.jpg

Jack Klugman, the prolific, craggy-faced character actor and regular guy who was loved by millions as the messy one in TV's "The Odd Couple" and the crime-fighting coroner in "Quincy, M.E.," died Monday, a son said. He was 90.

Klugman, who lost his voice to throat cancer in the 1980s and trained himself to speak again, died with his wife at his side.

"He had a great life and he enjoyed every moment of it and he would encourage others to do the same," son Adam Klugman said.

Adam Klugman said he was spending Christmas with his brother, David, and their families. Their father had been convalescing for some time but had apparently died suddenly and they were not sure of the exact cause.

"His sons loved him very much," David Klugman said. "We'll carry on in his spirit."

Continued @ MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50291531)

Helen Lawson
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
You watched a show with white people? :confused:

JN
Dec 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
There was a time when it was impossible not to. Thank God for Archie Bunker and Maude.

*JR*
Dec 29th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Jack Klugman’s secret, lifesaving legacy

Posted by Joshua Green on December 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The actor Jack Klugman died on Christmas Eve at age 90. Klugman was best known for his roles as the unkempt sportswriter in “The Odd Couple” and as the crusading medical examiner on “Quincy, M.E.” the wildly popular 1980s medical drama. Few people remember it today, but he also played an instrumental role in passing critical health-care legislation, the Orphan Drug Act, through Congress in the early 1980s, using “Quincy” and his own celebrity to roll Sen. Orrin Hatch (R), who was blocking the bill.

Klugman’s unlikely star turn in Washington stemmed from a 1980 hearing by the House Subcommittee on Health and the Environment on the problem of developing treatments for rare diseases. The problem was that many terrible diseases didn’t afflict enough people to entice pharmaceutical companies to develop treatments. Hence they were ”orphan” diseases. They included Tourette’s syndrome, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, spina bifida, ALS and many more. The situation was especially tragic because scientists who discovered promising treatments often couldn’t interest drug makers, who didn’t see potential for profit.

The issue of orphan diseases was so obscure that only a single newspaper, the Los Angeles Times, sent a reporter to the hearing (and the Times only did so because a local boy suffering from Tourette’s testified). But the article caught the eye of a Hollywood writer and producer named Maurice Klugman, who himself suffered from a rare cancer and also happened to be Jack Klugman’s brother. Maurice Klugman wrote an episode of “Quincy” about Tourette’s and the orphan drug problem.

To capitalize on the publicity and build momentum for a bill, Rep. Henry Waxman (D) of California, the subcommittee chairman, invited Jack Klugman to testify before Congress. Nowadays on Capitol Hill, you’re as likely to run into Bono or Ben Affleck as your own representative. But at the time, a bona fide celebrity speaking to Congress was a huge deal. The New York Times ran a front-page story on Klugman and orphan diseases. That led to a bill with three big incentives for drug makers: a lighter regulatory burden for developing new orphan drugs, a seven-year monopoly, and a 90-percent tax credit for the cost of clinical trials. It also established an Office of Rare Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/25/jack-klugmans-secret-lifesaving-legacy

BTW, Quincy ME gave was a precursor of the modern CSI and Bones type shows. RIP, Doc.

Gaby Gasparyan
Dec 30th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I loved The Odd Couple when I was younger. I remember sitting up till late on Sunday evening to watch it. I was supposed to be in bed sleeping (school next day) but, I had a portable black & white tv in my room....such a catchy theme tune too

Haven't seen it on tv for a long time now

Barrie_Dude
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:43 AM
Jack was quite the guy and appeared on Broadway as well. He had been married to Brett Somers for years

Super Dave
Dec 31st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Jack was quite the guy and appeared on Broadway as well. He had been married to Brett Somers for years

:unsure: Then there should be a special spot in heaven for him! ;) j/k

RIP Mr. Klugman.

Barrie_Dude
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:18 AM
It's a good thing she is not around to hear you say that :happy:

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 1st, 2013, 04:33 AM
RIP :hug: