PDA

View Full Version : Do dogs have a premonition of earthquakes? See this interesting video

tennislover
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM
-BukkEfzImk

Sam L
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Oh he made out. Phew! I love how he just ran for it.

Nicolás89
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:24 AM
My golden retriever definitely doesn't. :tape:

Nicolás89
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Usually there's a big noise before a big earthquake, I can almost always hear them coming. ;) :lol:

tennislover
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:28 AM
My golden retriever definitely doesn't. :tape:

:lol:

maybe you live in a not seismic area....

tennislover
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Usually there's a big noise before a big earthquake, I can almost always hear them coming. ;) :lol:

:)

Nicolás89
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:40 AM
:lol:

maybe you live in a not seismic area....

I live in Chile. :p

edificio
Dec 29th, 2012, 03:28 AM
He just felt the vibrations before the humans. Cute dog.

bulava
Dec 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM
This is quite old if people know many German Shepard Dogs served in many Wars and Natural Disasters (sensing life signs from rubble). The simple explanation is Dogs by nature have better sound frequencies compared to Human limit (20 Hz to 20 KHz). Some other species have this advantage too.

tennislover
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I live in Chile. :p

:eek:

I live in sicily that is a seismic area too....

esquímaux
Dec 29th, 2012, 09:56 PM
This is quite old if people know many German Shepard Dogs served in many Wars and Natural Disasters (sensing life signs from rubble). The simple explanation is Dogs by nature have better sound frequencies compared to Human limit (20 Hz to 20 KHz). Some other species have this advantage too.

Totally agree!...or... THIS... (I think that's what they're saying these days :scratch:) Human 5 senses have limiting sensory range. :topic: Just because I can't 'see' radio waves don't mean they don't exist, human eyes perceive only the visible portion of the EM spectrum. There are birds/insects that 'see' in the ultraviolet. :backontopic: The doggie is a cutie :hearts: It's like he said wtf, I'm outta here!

tennislover
Dec 31st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Totally agree!...or... THIS... (I think that's what they're saying these days :scratch:) Human 5 senses have limiting sensory range. :topic: Just because I can't 'see' radio waves don't mean they don't exist, human eyes perceive only the visible portion of the EM spectrum. There are birds/insects that 'see' in the ultraviolet. :backontopic: The doggie is a cutie :hearts: It's like he said wtf, I'm outta here!

:D

Super Dave
Dec 31st, 2012, 04:12 PM
I've always heard that dogs can sense this stuff and start acting funnier than normal. Cats can sense them, too, but they just start looting and rioting instead because they are evil :)

esquímaux
Jan 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM
Does anybody know the decibel range that canines can hear? Perhaps seismic activity produces noises at lower frequencies that are perceptible to the doggies? :hearts:

mystic ice cube
Jan 1st, 2013, 10:24 PM
That's... unexplainable. But I agree some animals can sense things that humans can't.

bulava
Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Does anybody know the decibel range that canines can hear? Perhaps seismic activity produces noises at lower frequencies that are perceptible to the doggies? :hearts:
Well, if you have little time/patience...

http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/ear/ear.html

Humans can't hear Seismic Waves because of range reasons. There is a catch here. There are many kinds of Seismic waves such as 'P', 'S' waves etc. In few Earthquakes (due to P waves), humans could hear them in form as a strange sound/noise. But not always. Note that Earthquake waves travel at very high speeds on km/sec scale, and its frequency mostly is < 20 Hz. That's why Humans can't hear them. I hope this helps on why Dogs react/bark/sense/etc.

tennislover
Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Well, if you have little time/patience...

http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/ear/ear.html

Humans can't hear Seismic Waves because of range reasons. There is a catch here. There are many kinds of Seismic waves such as 'P', 'S' waves etc. In few Earthquakes (due to P waves), humans could hear them in form as a strange sound/noise. But not always. Note that Earthquake waves travel at very high speeds on km/sec scale, and its frequency mostly is < 20 Hz. That's why Humans can't hear them. I hope this helps on why Dogs react/bark/sense/etc.

thank you for posting it :)