PDA

View Full Version : General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Dead At Age 78, in Florida

tennisbum79
Dec 28th, 2012, 12:34 AM
It is strange that the TV news seems to be low key about this.
He was such a big deal.

Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, Hero of Operation Desert Storm, Dies at 78

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/ap_obit_Schwarzkopf_kb_121227_wg.jpg In this Jan. 12, 1991 file photo, Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf stands at ease with his tank troops during Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia; Schwarzkopf died on Dec. 27, 2012 in Tampa, Fla. at the age of 78. (Bob Daugherty/ A

H. Norman Schwarzkopf, the general credited with leading U.S.-allied forces to a victory in the first Gulf War, has died at age 78, a U.S. official has confirmed to ABC News.
Schwarzkopf died in Tampa, Fla., today, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.

Schwarzkopf, known by the nickname "Stormin' Norman" partly for his volcanic temper, led Republican administrations to two military victories: a small one in Grenada and a big one as de facto commander of allied forces in the Gulf War.

Schwarzkopf's success driving Iraqi forces out of Kuwait in 1991 during what was known as Operation Desert Storm came under President George H.W. Bush. Though Bush was hospitalized in Texas with a stubborn fever and on a liquids-only diet, he released a statement through his office on Schwartzkopf's death.

"Barbara and I mourn the loss of a true American patriot and one of the great military leaders of his generation," the statement read. "A distinguished member of that Long Gray Line hailing from West Point, Gen. Norm Schwarzkopf, to me, epitomized the 'duty, service, country' creed that has defended our freedom and seen this great nation through our most trying international crises. More than that, he was a good and decent man -- and a dear friend. Barbara and I send our condolences to his wife, Brenda, and his wonderful family."

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during Desert Storm, recalled Schwarzkopf as "a great patriot and a great soldier."

"Norm served his country with courage and distinction for over 35 years," Powell said in a prepared statement. "The highlight of his career was the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm. 'Stormin' Norman' led the coalition forces to victory, ejecting the Iraqi Army from Kuwait and restoring the rightful government. His leadership not only inspired his troops, but also inspired the nation.

"He was a good friend of mine, a close buddy," Powell added. "I will miss him."
Schwarzkopf, the future four-star general, was raised as an army brat in Iran, Switzerland, Germany and Italy, following in his father's footsteps to West Point and being commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1956.

Schwarzkopf's father, who shared his name, directed the investigation of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping as head of the New Jersey State Police, later becoming a bridgadier general in the U.S. Army.

The younger Schwarzkopf earned three Silver Stars for bravery during two tours in Vietnam, gaining a reputation as an opinionated, plain-spoken commander with a sharp temper who would risk his own life for his soldiers.

In 1983, as a newly-minted general, Schwarzkopf once again led troops into battle in President Reagan's invasion of Granada, a tiny Caribbean island where the White House saw American influence threatened by a Cuban-backed coup.

But he gained most of his fame in Iraq, where he used his 6-foot-3, 240-pound frame and fearsome temper to drive his troops to victory. Gruff and direct, his goal was to win the war as quickly as possible and with a focused objective: getting Iraq out of Kuwait.

He spoke French and German to coalition partners, showed awareness of Arab sensitivities and served as Gen. Colin Powell's operative man on the ground.

Schwarzkopf retired from the Army after Desert Storm in 1991, writing an autobiography, becoming an advocate for prostate cancer awareness, serving on the boards of various charities and lecturing. He and his wife, Brenda, had three children.
Schwarzkopf spent his retirement in Tampa, home base for his last military assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command.

ABC News' Michael S. James, Gina Sunseri and Polson Kanneth contributed to this report.

source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/gen-norman-schwarzkopf-hero-operation-desert-storm-dies/story?id=18078996#.UNz1aHfxTx4

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Great guy!! RIP.

miffedmax
Dec 28th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Rip.

tennisbum79
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I am sensing a mute coverage of his death on TV.
Add to that the lack of traffic in this thread, am I correct when I speculate we are being ambivalent or having mix feelings about our military heroes?

Maybe I am reading too much into this...

This guy was like God at the time.

kingjameo
Dec 28th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I am sensing a mute coverage of his death on TV.http://www.wengmj.com/a128.jpg

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
He was famous a long time ago, I hadn't thought of him in years and I'd met him even.

Also, the liberal media doesn't like war heroes and popular conservatives, so they are ignoring it.

Super Dave
Dec 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
This guy was like God at the time.

This...

RIP :sad:

tennisbum79
Dec 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM
He was famous a long time ago, I hadn't thought of him in years and I'd met him even..
:)Helen, I thought you were a big history buff.:)
Also, the liberal media doesn't like war heroes and popular conservatives, so they are ignoring it.
Even FAUXNews, with several former generals as contributor, I have yet to see anything of note.
The only mention I have seen is the announcement in the scroller at the bottom of the screen.
OTH, MSNBC and CNN anchors have anounced it on the air.

FAUXNews has a penchant to put big news items in a loop (Benghazi, Susan Rice, Obama's India trip costing 200 millions a day, etc..), the fact that I have not seen this mean they don't think it serious

Helen Lawson
Dec 28th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I think he was famous too long ago, people have forgotten him. The Gulf War is not fondly looked back on anymore either given subsequent events. Fox News is only after liberals and liberal agenda, covering the death of Stormin' Norman doesn't further that agenda.

Barrie_Dude
Dec 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
He was quite the guy and shall be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

*JR*
Dec 28th, 2012, 08:03 PM
"Norm served his country with courage and distinction for over 35 years," Powell said in a prepared statement. "The highlight of his career was the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm. 'Stormin' Norman' led the coalition forces to victory, ejecting the Iraqi Army from Kuwait and restoring the rightful government....

Schwarzkopf's father, who shared his name, directed the investigation of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping as head of the New Jersey State Police, later becoming a bridgadier general in the U.S. Army....

In 1983, as a newly-minted general, Schwarzkopf once again led troops into battle in President Reagan's invasion of Granada, a tiny Caribbean island where the White House saw American influence threatened by a Cuban-backed coup....

source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/gen-norman-...6#.UNz1aHfxTx4

1) I don't know how one can call Kuwait's hereditary monarchs the "rightful government". And the Emir clearly provoked the Iraqi invasion, with the help of the US Ambassador to Iraq (April Glaspie) in effect giving Saddam a go-ahead. I think GHW Bush & Co were hell bent on winning a "big war", to rid America of its post-Vietnam unwillingness to do "elective war".

2) The elder Schwarzkopf was also the CIA operative who led the 1953 restoration of the Shah of Iran, leading to the 1979 revolution there, the Iran-Iraq War, and other (still continuing) events, which included Desert Storm.

3) The invasion of Grenada was a joke, as the coup leaders had already declared the "expulsion" of the US medical students.... meaning sending them home. :shrug: The invasion (masterminded by Oliver North, of future Iran-Contra notoriety) was mostly a distraction from the then very recent death of 241 US Marines in the truck bombing of their barracks in Beirut.

tennisbum79
Dec 29th, 2012, 02:09 AM
1) I don't know how one can call Kuwait's hereditary monarchs the "rightful government". And the Emir clearly provoked the Iraqi invasion, with the help of the US Ambassador to Iraq (April Glaspie) in effect giving Saddam a go-ahead. I think GHW Bush & Co were hell bent on winning a "big war", to rid America of its post-Vietnam unwillingness to do "elective war".

2) The elder Schwarzkopf was also the CIA operative who led the 1953 restoration of the Shah of Iran, leading to the 1979 revolution there, the Iran-Iraq War, and other (still continuing) events, which included Desert Storm.

3) The invasion of Grenada was a joke, as the coup leaders had already declared the "expulsion" of the US medical students.... meaning sending them home. :shrug: The invasion (masterminded by Oliver North, of future Iran-Contra notoriety) was mostly a distraction from the then very recent death of 241 US Marines in the truck bombing of their barracks in Beirut.
JR, I think there will be a time to debate this.
Now is not that time.