PDA

View Full Version : Happy Kwanzaa!!

JN
Dec 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Today is the 1st day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Umoja, which means unity. Let's celebrate family, community, romantic connection, marriage, friendship, teamwork and collaboration! -- Separation is for the weak unity is for the strong!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/525978_10151301859999806_186839470_n.jpg

tennisbum79
Dec 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Same to you

Dav.
Dec 26th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Happy Kwanzaa to those celebrating :)

JN
Dec 27th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Today is the 2nd day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Kujichagulia which means Self-determination. Let's celebrate knowing oneself and one’s culture, because it gives us a stronger will to make yourself and your community proud.

Your success added with the success of other people in your community with self determination, is what gives a group of people power + pride.

It all starts with a personal will, desire and faith to succeed. -- Remember all things are possible for those who believe.”

http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org/images/3fruitbowls23tr.gif

lympyisthebest
Dec 27th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I will never forget Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa cake video :sobbing:

JN
Dec 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I will never forget Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa cake video :sobbing:

That woman destroys everything she touches. Did she concoct a "special" Umojatini to go with it?

we2iWTJqo98

The "acorns" (actually Corn Nuts®) are a special touch. :help:

Super Dave
Dec 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Happy Kwanzaa to all those who celebrate it :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
That woman destroys everything she touches. Did she concoct a "special" Umojatini to go with it?

we2iWTJqo98

^^ :lol:

Happy Kwanzaa ! :)

Volcana
Dec 27th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Day 2: Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM

we2iWTJqo98

I love how the video cuts off right before one would attempt to eat that monstrosity. I am SCREAMING because I thought the "candles" were those sugary ice pops
http://www.moanaluapto.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/icepops.jpg
:hysteric:

Oh and happy Kwanzaa to everyone celebrating :cheer:

delicatecutter
Dec 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
OMG the Kwanzaa cake! :crying2: :tears:

Pump-it-UP
Dec 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I love Aunt Sandy! :hearts: I just spent a good half hour rewatching some of my favorite videos. :crying2:

RQKu3PcgYrU
LI5e72B_eIc
RLMNZ6xY6YY
oplaY4Eh2j4
SmKbo677Kjk

Happy Kwanzaa though! Stay away from the Kwanzaa cake... :scared:

JN
Dec 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
^ Why, Aaron, Why??? :hysteric: (http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/05/first_look_who_feels_anthony_b.html)
____

"​The eye-searing 'Kwanzaa Cake' clip on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98), of Sandra Lee doing things with store-bought angel food cake, canned frosting, and corn nuts, instead of being simply the unintentionally hilarious viral video it should be, makes me mad for all humanity. I. Just. Can’t. Help. It."​ — Anthony Bourdain, Medium Raw (http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/05/first_look_who_feels_anthony_b.html)

delicatecutter
Dec 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
She has lost her damn mind. Frosting cake pans and shit. :hysteric:

mykarma
Dec 27th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Today is the 1st day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Umoja, which means unity. Let's celebrate family, community, romantic connection, marriage, friendship, teamwork and collaboration! -- Separation is for the weak unity is for the strong!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/525978_10151301859999806_186839470_n.jpg

My friends and I have a Kwanzaa celebration every year on New Years Day. Lots of food, mimosa's that I make and a grand time.

mykarma
Dec 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM

we2iWTJqo98

What kind of shit was that?
:hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

mykarma
Dec 27th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Happy Kwanzaa to those celebrating :)
Same to you.

JN
Dec 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Today is the 3rd day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Ujima / Collective work and responsibility: to build and maintain our community together and make our sisters' and brothers' problems our problems and to solve them together.

This is a commitment and behavior that grows from the spirit and power of Umoja and Kujichagulia within. It is your willingness to help, to the fullest extent of your capabilities, members of your family and community to achieve the greatest good and well-being that life can yiekd. It's not talk but walk! It is action designed to achieve the greatest good that a given life or situation has potential to yield.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa.jpg

mykarma
Dec 29th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Today is the 3rd day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Ujima / Collective work and responsibility: to build and maintain our community together and make our sisters' and brothers' problems our problems and to solve them together.

This is a commitment and behavior that grows from the spirit and power of Umoja and Kujichagulia within. It is your willingness to help, to the fullest extent of your capabilities, members of your family and community to achieve the greatest good and well-being that life can yiekd. It's not talk but walk! It is action designed to achieve the greatest good that a given life or situation has potential to yield.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa.jpg
Another image
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/206757_561286950566923_1392148928_n.jpg

ico4498
Dec 29th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Happy Kwanzaa all!

JN
Dec 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Today is the 4th day of Kwanzaa. The principle of the day is Ujamaa which means Cooperative Economics. Let celebrate a mindset that focuses on the important economic benefits garnered from shared wealth and work, economic self-reliance, and obligation of generosity.

In The Caribbean 'Susu' activity is a perfect example of how we can pool our funds.

It takes a certain type of mindset to use your personal money to accomplish a collective goal. One way to apply this philosophy is to buy from the businesses in your community and/or those who look like you.

Remember the 'you' will get a lot further when it becomes the 'us'.”

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa-1.jpg

JN
Dec 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Nia (nee-AH)
Purpose

"To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness."

The fifth principle of Kwanzaa is Nia which is essentially a commitment to the collective vocation of building, developing and defending our national community, its culture and history in order to regain our historical initiative and greatness as a people. The assumption here is that our role in human history has been and remains a key one, that we as an African people share in the grand human legacy Africa has given the world. That legacy is one of having not only been the fathers and mothers of humanity, but also the fathers and mothers of human civilization, i.e., having introduced in the Nile Valley civilizations the basic disciplines of human knowledge. It is this identity which gives us an overriding cultural purpose and suggests a direction. This is what we mean when we say we who are the father's and mothers of human civilization have no business playing the cultural children of the world. The principle of Nia then makes us conscious of our purpose in light of our historical and cultural identity.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa-2.jpg

Inherent in this discussion of deriving purpose from cultural and historical identity is a necessary reference to and focus on generational responsibility. [Frantz] Fanon has posed this responsibility in competing terms. He says, "each generation must, out of relative obscurity, discover its mission, [and then] fulfill it or betray it" (48). The mission he suggests is always framed within the larger context of the needs, hopes and aspirations of the people. And each of us is morally and culturally obligated to participate in creating a context of maximum freedom and development of the people.

Finally, Nia suggests that personal and social purpose are not only non-antagonistic but complementary in the true communitarian sense of the word. In fact, it suggests that the highest form of personal purpose is in the final analysis, social purpose, i.e., personal purpose that translates itself into a vocation and commitment which involves and benefits the community. As we have noted elsewhere, such a level and quality of purpose not only benefits the collective whole, but also gives fullness and meaning to a persons life in a way individualistic and isolated pursuits cannot.

For true greatness and growth never occur in isolation and at other's expense. On the contrary, as African philosophy teaches, we are first and foremost social beings whose reality and relevance are rooted in the quality and the kinds of relations we have with each other. And a cooperative communal vocation is an excellent context and encouragement for quality social relations. Thus, [W.E.B.] Du Bois' stress on education for social contribution and rejection of vulgar careerism rooted in the lone and passionate pursuit of money is especially relevant. For again our purpose is not to simply create money markers, but to cultivate men and women capable of social and human exchange on a larger more meaningful scale, men and women of culture and social conscience, of vision and values which expand the human project of freedom and development rather than diminish and deform it.

Practice Nia every day!

JN
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah)
Creativity
"To do always as much as we can in the way that we can in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than when we inherited it."

The Sixth Principle is Kuumba and logically follows from and is required by the Principle of Nia. It is a commitment to being creative within the context of the national community vocation of restoring our people to their traditional greatness and thus leaving our community more beneficial and beautiful than we, i.e., each generation, inherited it. The Principle has both a social and spiritual dimension and is deeply rooted both in social and sacred teachings of African societies.

Nowhere is this principle more clearly expressed than in the literature and culture of ancient Egypt. Creativity here is both an original act or imitation of the Creator and a restorative act also reflective of the Creator constantly pushing back the currents of chaos and decay and revitalizing and restoring the natural, spiritual and cosmic energy of the world. In ancient Egypt, there was a spiritual and ethical commitment and obligation to constantly renew and restore the great works, the legacy of the ancestors and the creative energy of the leader and nation. This was considered doing Maat, i.e., reaffirming and restoring truth, justice and righteousness, harmony, balance, order, rightness, etc. Each pharaoh saw his or her reign, then, as one of restoration of Maat, i.e., the reaffirmation, reestablishment and renewal of the Good, the Beautiful and the Right.

http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/g82.jpg

mykarma
Jan 1st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Nia (nee-AH)
Purpose

"To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness."

The fifth principle of Kwanzaa is Nia which is essentially a commitment to the collective vocation of building, developing and defending our national community, its culture and history in order to regain our historical initiative and greatness as a people. The assumption here is that our role in human history has been and remains a key one, that we as an African people share in the grand human legacy Africa has given the world. That legacy is one of having not only been the fathers and mothers of humanity, but also the fathers and mothers of human civilization, i.e., having introduced in the Nile Valley civilizations the basic disciplines of human knowledge. It is this identity which gives us an overriding cultural purpose and suggests a direction. This is what we mean when we say we who are the father's and mothers of human civilization have no business playing the cultural children of the world. The principle of Nia then makes us conscious of our purpose in light of our historical and cultural identity.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa-2.jpg

Inherent in this discussion of deriving purpose from cultural and historical identity is a necessary reference to and focus on generational responsibility. [Frantz] Fanon has posed this responsibility in competing terms. He says, "each generation must, out of relative obscurity, discover its mission, [and then] fulfill it or betray it" (48). The mission he suggests is always framed within the larger context of the needs, hopes and aspirations of the people. And each of us is morally and culturally obligated to participate in creating a context of maximum freedom and development of the people.

Finally, Nia suggests that personal and social purpose are not only non-antagonistic but complementary in the true communitarian sense of the word. In fact, it suggests that the highest form of personal purpose is in the final analysis, social purpose, i.e., personal purpose that translates itself into a vocation and commitment which involves and benefits the community. As we have noted elsewhere, such a level and quality of purpose not only benefits the collective whole, but also gives fullness and meaning to a persons life in a way individualistic and isolated pursuits cannot.

For true greatness and growth never occur in isolation and at other's expense. On the contrary, as African philosophy teaches, we are first and foremost social beings whose reality and relevance are rooted in the quality and the kinds of relations we have with each other. And a cooperative communal vocation is an excellent context and encouragement for quality social relations. Thus, [W.E.B.] Du Bois' stress on education for social contribution and rejection of vulgar careerism rooted in the lone and passionate pursuit of money is especially relevant. For again our purpose is not to simply create money markers, but to cultivate men and women capable of social and human exchange on a larger more meaningful scale, men and women of culture and social conscience, of vision and values which expand the human project of freedom and development rather than diminish and deform it.

Practice Nia every day!

Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah)
Creativity
"To do always as much as we can in the way that we can in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than when we inherited it."

The Sixth Principle is Kuumba and logically follows from and is required by the Principle of Nia. It is a commitment to being creative within the context of the national community vocation of restoring our people to their traditional greatness and thus leaving our community more beneficial and beautiful than we, i.e., each generation, inherited it. The Principle has both a social and spiritual dimension and is deeply rooted both in social and sacred teachings of African societies.

Nowhere is this principle more clearly expressed than in the literature and culture of ancient Egypt. Creativity here is both an original act or imitation of the Creator and a restorative act also reflective of the Creator constantly pushing back the currents of chaos and decay and revitalizing and restoring the natural, spiritual and cosmic energy of the world. In ancient Egypt, there was a spiritual and ethical commitment and obligation to constantly renew and restore the great works, the legacy of the ancestors and the creative energy of the leader and nation. This was considered doing Maat, i.e., reaffirming and restoring truth, justice and righteousness, harmony, balance, order, rightness, etc. Each pharaoh saw his or her reign, then, as one of restoration of Maat, i.e., the reaffirmation, reestablishment and renewal of the Good, the Beautiful and the Right.

http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/g82.jpg

Missed you yesterday and thanks for continuing your Kwanzaa efforts.

JN
Jan 1st, 2013, 07:37 AM
Missed you yesterday and thanks for continuing your Kwanzaa efforts.

You're welcome, MK. Enjoy your celebration today. http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/355/1/b/happy_kwanzaa_sign_plz_by_mirz123-d4jqxjm.gif

JN
Jan 1st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Imani (ee-MAH-nee) Faith

"To believe, with all our heart, in our Creator, our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle."

The Seventh and final Principle is faith which is essentially a profound belief in and commitment to all that is of value to us as a family, community, people and culture. In the context of African spirituality, it begins with a belief in the Creator and in the positiveness of the creation and logically leads to a belief in the essential goodness and possibility of the human personality. For in all African spiritual traditions from Egypt on, it is taught that we are in the image of the Creator and thus capable of ultimate righteousness and creativity through self-mastery and development in the context of positive support. therefore, a faith in ourselves is key here, faith in our capacity as humans to live righteously, self-correct, support, care for and be responsible for each other and eventually create the just and good society.

Faith in ourselves is key.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/dongoliano/kwanzaa123_zps0186fed9.jpg

Especially must we believe in the value and validity, the righteousness and significance of our struggle for liberation and a higher level of human life. This must be tied to our belief in our capacity to assume and carry out with dignity and decisiveness the role [Frantz] Fanon and history has assigned us. And that role is to set in motion a new history of humankind and in the company of other oppressed and third World peoples pose a new paradigm of human society and human relations.

http://www.endarkenment.com/kwanzaa/images/frantz_fanon.jpg

Fanon says we can do anything as long as we don't do two basic things:

1) don't try to catch up with Europe [afterall, where is it going - swinging between spiritual and nuclear annihilation]; and

2) don't imitate them so that we become "obscene caricatures" of them.

We must, he says invent, innovate, reach inside ourselves and dare "set afoot a new man and woman." The world and our people are waiting for something new, more beautiful and beneficial from us than what a past of oppression has offered us. Let us not imitate or be taught by our oppressors. Let us dare struggle, free ourselves politically and culturally and raise images above the earth that reflect our capacity for human progress and greatness. This is the challenge and burden of our history which assumes and requires a solid faith.

We must, then, have faith in ourselves, in our leaders, teachers, parents and in the righteousness and victory of our struggle, faith that through hard work, long struggle and a whole lot of love and understanding, we can again step back on the stage of human history as a free, proud and productive people. It is in this context that we can surely speak our own special truth to the world an make our own unique contribution to the forward flow of human history.

Happy Kwanzaa!

JN
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:18 PM
In case there are any lurkers here from Chicago:

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-snc6/277003_113527725324624_2041514576_q.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/BlackChicagoCulture) Culture of Black Chicago (https://www.facebook.com/BlackChicagoCulture)

Host Committee member Culture of Black Chicago and High Style Marketing present the retun of FELA THE MUSICAL!

Come DANCE IN YOUR SEAT as you watch how one man transformed his musical gift into an agent of change and social justice!

Legendary Nigerian Fela Kuti was a musical dynamo and a political powder keg who used his supercharged and sexy Afrobeat sound and charismatic spirit to ignite and inspire a generation to dare challenge a government of oppression.

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND IS A SWINGING MUSICAL BASED ON HIS LIFE !!!

The show opens at the Arie Crown Theater on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 7:30pm, and runs through February 23rd.

TICKETS:
www.felaonbroadway.com (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.felaonbroadway.com&h=EAQGi4boB&s=1)

GROUP SALES: 312-791-6320
* $5.00 off per ticket for groups of 20+ (excluding Saturday evening and the fourth price level for each performance).

Facebook: facebook.com/Felamusical
Twitter: @Felamusical | Our hashtag is #FELAchicago

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/61050_538375596173166_1368673473_n.jpg

JN
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM
The West Bend Republican calls for an end to Kwanzaa, which he describes as a fake holiday aimed at dividing blacks and whites.

Calling it a holiday that "almost no black people today care about," state Sen. Glenn Grothman is characterizing Kwanzaa as a false holiday conjured up by a racist college professor and perpetuated by hard-core liberals.

"Why must we still hear about Kwanzaa?" the Republican lawmaker from West Bend asked in a press release. "Why are hard-core left wingers still trying to talk about Kwanzaa — the supposed African-American holiday celebration between Christmas and New Year’s?"

Read entire article: http://shorewood.patch.com/articles/state-sen-glenn-grothman-declares-war-on-kwanzaa?national=patch&ncid=edlinkuspatc00000006
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/224966_10151217438739366_55233977_n.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151217438739366&set=a.498109319365.265623.187873189365&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf)

Alizé Molik
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I've heard the above sentiments from lots of different sources. Obviously this is not true for you JN? How did you come to celebrate Kwanzaa?

Also I was going to reply to this three hours ago but I got caught on a spiral of Sandra Lee videos.