PDA

View Full Version : Is Christmas Day a serious day for you?

Lin Lin
Dec 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM
It's not for me:shrug:

or for most people in Asia I think:unsure:

Anyway,Merry Christmas all of you:yeah:

Certinfy
Dec 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Although I'm a Catholic the last few years it's never really been anything serious for me.

But given my partner is quite a strong Catholic and I'm close to her family, I guess this year will be a serious one.

Jorn
Dec 24th, 2012, 11:38 PM
For me it just a boring day, with no Live sport on TV... Even the Pope is not Live tonight... :o

Merry Xmas! :)

Halardfan
Dec 25th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Serious in what way? Serious as in its religious meaning then no. But serious as in an important day? Then yes. I love Christmas even though Im an atheist!

I love the carols, the present the food, the drink, and the family feeling. It's great fun, enjoy it!

Happy Christmas!

saint2
Dec 25th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Serious, in what way ? Serious in getting me pissed off ? Yeah. I HATE Christmas, I HATE Family meetings...I've been always a black sheep of a family.

RenaSlam.
Dec 25th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Yes. Spoil my family rotten. It's a good thing I'm not married or have kids yet.

Barrie_Dude
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Big thing for me

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Serious? As in? It's a normal day for me but slightly a cheerful one though.:cheer:

Vartan
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Yes, I love Christmas.

moodin0931
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Yep I love Christmas and I got tickets to Miami! :woohoo:

Expat
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
No I am not Christian or born in a Christian family. its a holiday for all i care.

jameshazza
Dec 25th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Love it, favourite time of the year. Even though I couldn't care for the religious aspect I still hold all the morals associated to heart, season of goodwill/family etc.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Kəv.
Dec 25th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Hard to Say.

Julian.
Dec 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Actually no but since I dated my boyfriend, it has become a serious one for me because of him :lol:

cowsonice
Dec 25th, 2012, 05:39 AM
No, not really.
It just feels like an odd day when I feel obligated to celebrate it but my family doesn't explicitly mark "Christmas" as a gift-giving day, especially having not raised me with the whole Santa thing.

Pops Maellard
Dec 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM
No. Just an excuse to buy presents and eat too much :lol:.

saint2
Dec 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Shit shit shit...It starts soon...Don't want it don't need it, why can't I just get drunk in front of the PC today...

Julian.
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
It's not for me:shrug:

or for most people in Asia I think:unsure:

Anyway,Merry Christmas all of you:yeah:

Not really. Many Asian countries celebrate Christmas :cheer:

Map of Countries that do not recognize Christmas as Public Holiday

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Map_of_Countries_that_do_not_recognize_Christmas_a s_Public_Holiday.png/800px-Map_of_Countries_that_do_not_recognize_Christmas_a s_Public_Holiday.png

HippityHop
Dec 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM
It's important but primarily in its relationship to Easter.

dybbuk
Dec 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Not really. Many Asian countries celebrate Christmas :cheer:

Map of Countries that do not recognize Christmas as Public Holiday

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Map_of_Countries_that_do_not_recognize_Christmas_a s_Public_Holiday.png/800px-Map_of_Countries_that_do_not_recognize_Christmas_a s_Public_Holiday.png

Yes, but for many of them it's not a "serious" holiday. It's recognized in Japan for instance, but they celebrate it similarly to Valentine's Day. That's probably what Lin Lin meant.

Gaby Gasparyan
Dec 25th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Nah, not really. It doesn't even 'feel' like Christmas anymore....

*JR*
Dec 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Matchless: A Christmas Story

by Gregory Maguire
December 21, 2008 2:43 PM

http://www.npr.org/2008/12/25/98143170/matchless-a-christmas-story

Kon.
Dec 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Not really. I like the Christmas vibe, I love this time of the year but Christmas Day itself doesn't mean anything particular to me.

Lin Lin
Dec 25th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, but for many of them it's not a "serious" holiday. It's recognized in Japan for instance, but they celebrate it similarly to Valentine's Day. That's probably what Lin Lin meant.

:lol::lol::yeah::lol:

KournikovaFan91
Dec 26th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Kinda I mean some parts I like and some I hate.

Lin Lin
Dec 26th, 2012, 02:08 AM
http://pic2.xihuan.me/edr/680__/t016b541e5bef781465.gif

kwilliams
Dec 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I'm not interested in the religious aspect of it. I stopped going to mass on Christmas quite a few years ago and this year the rest of my family didn't go either. There are certain aspects of Christmas that have to do with pagan mid-winter festivals anyway and were just absorbed into Christmas when the church decided to change the date of Jesus's birth!!

Anyway, the build-up, festive spirit, light and decorations, gift-giving and tradition can't be beaten. Christmas is a great day and I have a big family so it's great to spend it with all of them. In fact, my family's so big that I don't see them anymore but when I was young and I got to see everyone, got loads and loads of presents, ate, played games, sang and had sooooo much fun. It was just the best day ever!

Christmas I not observed in the same way in almost all of Asia. Many districts in many cities in Korea will put up lights and feel somewhat festive but the atmosphere is not the same at all. It's not really a family occasion either. It's more common for friends to do go to a restaurant together or something like that. The only kind of Christmas you can experience is the commercial side of Christmas. Although, I don't know what Christmas church services are like in Korea - maybe the religious aspect could be fulfilling enough. Even the big Korean holidays like Chuseok and Seol-nal don't really compare to Christmas in their epicness!

I travelled throughout S.E. Asia in December of 09. Got home just before Christmas. It seemed quite similar in most places. There were some lights but no palpable build-up or atmosphere. It all just seemed a bit commercial. It was great for me though because we have two Christmas trees at home - one domestic - one international. The international one has decorations from scores of cities, dozens of countries across all five continents, so I was able to pick up quite a few things for it then!

Anyway, for me Christmas is huge. I'll often spend the 23rd and the 24th with friends. The 25th and the 26th (St. Stephen's Day or Boxing Day in some countries) with family and then one or two more days/nights with friends before NYE.

Ashi
Dec 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hmm, it's serious but not as serious as Easter. Christmas eve is solemn. Christmas day is spent going for Christmas service, distributing sweets in the neighbourhood and having guests over, not to mention stuffing yourself senseless.
Oddly, there's no gift giving business in my family. That maybe a western custom. Although, everyone gets all dressed up for the Christmas service.

Christmas season is really auspicious time to get married in India(any denomination of Christianity), so I definitely have a couple of marriages and Holy communion ceremonies to attend during the Holidays.

Here is a picture of a traditional christmas sweet platter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/524040_10152358910990364_1352177827_n.jpg

Super Dave
Dec 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Serious? No. But I enjoyed it this year more than most. Spent more time with extended family than usual.