MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIAN OPEN JAN 14 - JAN 27

paulmara
Dec 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
http://stevehmills.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/brisbane-postcard.jpg

my prediction: Koala in 3 sets

Excelscior
Dec 21st, 2012, 05:40 PM

Herrrrrrrrreeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gooooooooooooooooooo :eek: :unsure: :eek:

So it will begin!? :scared: :oh: :scared:

bruce goose
Dec 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Petra´s schedule

flying to Australia DEC 25

BRISBANE - BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL DEC 30 - JAN 05

SYDNEY - APIA INTERNATIONAL SYDNEY JAN 06 - JAN 11

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIAN OPEN JAN 14 - JAN 27When I first saw the thread title,I guessed that 'pov' was the OP....Another one of those threads with an extremely short shelf life of relevance like,'Kvitova Bought Some New Shoes at the Store Today: Do You Like Her Fashion Taste?'

I wondered if Petra had picked up an irritable koala on a tour of a local petting zoo...and then had the creature snap at her.However,with tourney threads,it's nice to have you contribute your creative touch once in a while,Paul:cool:

TimeyWimey
Dec 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
she's still the defending champion, correct? :lol:

it's rare we have individual thread for a low level tournament

paulmara
Dec 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
it's rare we have individual thread for a low level tournament

it can be use for Sydney and then we will see

bruce goose
Dec 21st, 2012, 06:39 PM
it can be use for Sydney and then we will seeSydney is a major metropolitan area in Australia,so it's unlikely that Petra will find any koalas(or is the plural 'koalae'?)wandering around in the hotel lobby there

steni
Dec 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM

Herrrrrrrrreeeeeeee Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Gooooooooooooooooooo :eek: :unsure: :eek:

So it will begin!? :scared: :oh: :scared:

I know, I'm scared too!

paulmara
Dec 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Vienna - Dubai - Singapore - Brisbane...

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/airplanes-work-1.jpg

ShiftyFella
Dec 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Vienna - Dubai - Singapore - Brisbane...

kinda long route, don't you think? there plenty of direct flights to Dubai from EU and from Dubai to Brisbane;)

Excelscior
Dec 26th, 2012, 08:54 PM
kinda long route, don't you think? there plenty of direct flights to Dubai from EU and from Dubai to Brisbane;)

Well, if she's using that Charter Jet/promotion that her and Tomas have; it's possible that the planes aren't big enough (especially with their deals or what they pay for) for direct flights?

If it was me: Depending on the time difference, I just may take a direct first class flight from the nearest location/airport?

ShiftyFella
Dec 26th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Petra can afford to rent herself personal concord and fly fast with a class:lol:

btw, tbh i totally forgot she has some airlines deals

paulmara
Dec 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Emirates flight EK 432: Dubai - Brisbane via Singapore (7+2+7) Business class

paulmara
Dec 28th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks to Meelis

Hello from Brisbane! I had fun making a special friend after practice today :)

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_LGv1BCIAEYUg7.jpg:large

what a coincidence

Meelis
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Petra`s half

(6)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
(wc)Olivia Rogowska (AUS) v Q
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) v (4)Angelique Kerber (GER)

(5)Sara Errani (ITA) v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v (wc)Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS)
BYE v (2)Maria Sharapova (RUS)

Excelscior
Dec 29th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks Meelis.

Tough quarter for Petra if she's rusty or not 100%.

I'm not sure (especially the way she's been complaining about her asthma, and if that proves true), if she'll even make it out the quarter.

And of course, she has Sharapova waiting for her in the semi's, if she gets out of her own relatively easy quarter.

We'll see?

paulmara
Dec 29th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Brisbane Intl ‏@BrisbaneTennis 2H
Top centre court line-up to kick off main draw matches at #BI2013: Gajdosova v Vinci, Kvitova v Suarez Navarro, Serena v Lepchenko
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Sun-30-Dec.pdf

Beijing Suarez-Navarro C. - Kvitová P. 6-3, 6-2

steni
Dec 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Petra`s half

(6)Petra Kvitova (CZE) v Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)
Lucie Hradecka (CZE) v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS)
(wc)Olivia Rogowska (AUS) v Q
Anna Tatishvili (GEO) v (4)Angelique Kerber (GER)

(5)Sara Errani (ITA) v Q
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v Lourdes Dominguez Lino (ESP)
Roberta Vinci (ITA) v (wc)Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS)
BYE v (2)Maria Sharapova (RUS)

Tricky draw for Petra... Grrrr

mac47
Dec 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I like it. A chance for revenge x3. (L-Hrad, Carebear, and Pova).

Let's roll, Petra!

hypersonic
Dec 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hi folks, new fan here! She could get revenge on her first opponent too - CSN. She lost to CSN in Beijing a few months ago. Hope an inspired Kvitty shows up!

paulmara
Dec 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hi folks, new fan here!

Welcome to the Kvitty rollercoaster

AfroIYH
Dec 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I like it. A chance for revenge x3. (L-Hrad, Carebear, and Pova).

Let's roll, Petra!

I wouldn't hold out hope on Sharapova or Serena in Australia this time round, if Petra meets either of them I'm sure she'll beat both of them.

ShiftyFella
Dec 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Pavs vs Petra would be fun battle of heavyweights to watch:lol: tho i don't believe at least one of them would make it to meet the other:o

Petronius
Dec 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
OMG, Navarro, Hradecka and Kerber :lol:

Good luck with that :lol:

Petronius
Dec 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Hi folks, new fan here! She could get revenge on her first opponent too - CSN. She lost to CSN in Beijing a few months ago. Hope an inspired Kvitty shows up!

Welcome, hypersonic.

bruce goose
Dec 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the Kvitty rollercoasterNot sure at which precise moment you changed the title,but the koala bear would've been a much less challenging opponent on the tennis court....and also a much less frightening acquaintance without any makeup on

JarkaFish
Dec 30th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Starting now.

:oh:

centipede
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I love Petra's demeanor. It's so cool, calm, and collected.

ShiftyFella
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Pavs vs Petra would be fun battle of heavyweights to watch:lol: tho i don't believe at least one of them would make it to meet the other:o
hehe.... reverse jinx worked:worship::haha:

netphobia
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Yay Petra!

http://oi49.tinypic.com/20i89b6.jpg

Tense at the end there and I think she was trying way too hard on the cross court points, but I thought it was good overall :)

15 net points :hearts:

Excelscior
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:52 AM
She'll take it (though it started like it would be an abject wipe out).

Saw some things that I liked (her footwork; the way she was moving and freely/quickly swinging, redirecting the racket; the way she was stepping into the court and how she was volleying early--though she largely stopped as the match progressed).

Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.

Well, the broadcaster said all the other matches had went 3 sets, and said it was windy there today, so I'll cut her some slack, wait and see? I'll also give her some credit for keeping CSN's 2nd set win total at 4.

Onward.

ShiftyFella
Dec 30th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Saw things that hadn't changed: Like her ability to win 6-3 6-4, instead of 6-1 6-2 (or 6-3), due to lapses in concentration or delayed strategy changes when Navarro switched up. She could have definitely tightened the ship during the 2nd set.

meh... Petra was toying with her. This is the first match of the new season, it's really doesn't matter how she played as long as she get the win, tournament for her will start against Pavs

Excelscior
Dec 30th, 2012, 05:17 AM
meh... Petra was toying with her. This is the first match of the new season, it's really doesn't matter how she played as long as she get the win, tournament for her will start against Pavs

OK. Fair enough. :yeah:

Speaking about Pav's: I just hope Petra doesn't change up what she was doing today when she plays Anastasia.

I like the way Petra was swinging the racket and moving (especially considering it was her first match against a potentially tricky opponent in the wind).

I didn't see Pav's match. But I'm not not so sure she'll be able to return some of the balls today that CSN did to hang in some of those rallies or sneak out a game or two.

We'll see?

ShiftyFella
Dec 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
yeah, i like positive signs but seriously it was just warm up, she's like any other player stuck in transition mode from prepping in offseason to start playing real tennis, amount of 3 setters just proves it, also i liked the fact that it was probably the most solid performance in 1st round of any tournaments she played, usually she starts more shaky and works herself into match but this time she was ON from the start.

hypersonic
Dec 30th, 2012, 06:01 AM
^^Definitely agree with ShiftyFella regarding the comparison with her previous first round matches to this match. When she was 4-0 up first set, she became quite passive, knowing that her tactics and shots were working and then she stepped it up a bit more in the last games of the first set. In the second, CSN played somewhat better and was retrieving more balls. Petra gave a hasty impression with her shots, mistiming them at times, but pulled through in the end. Certainly a solid first round performance relative to her previous first round matches.

bruce goose
Dec 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah,I agree with both Shifty and Hyper;even great champions sometimes struggle in their first match returning from the offseason(I'm including other sports here,even taking exhos and preseason into account).Let's check out how quickly Petra can round into form.She's won a season-opening tourney before,and it'd be nice to see her do it again:cool:

18majors
Dec 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
28 winners, nice!

paulmara
Dec 31st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Was so great to be back on court yesterday and get the first win of the season! Want to wish you all a happy and healthy new year in 2013!

SHOW COURT 1
third match
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Tue-01-Jan-schedule.pdf

Excelscior
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:06 PM
No knock against Sara Errani. But Petra should have been on that Stadium court, instead of her.

The other thing is: Petra hasn't played on that court, and Pav's probably has. So Petra may have to make some adjustments to this show court???

Hopefully not (or that many). But this is what happens when you fall out of the top 4.

At least there will be a stream (based off of last nights matches, though we won't get that funny male commentator--Kevin Skinner, from the Pat Rafter/stadium court).

18majors
Dec 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM
Pavlyuchenkova is as solid as it comes when she doesn't DF. This will be a good match to watch.

ShiftyFella
Dec 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM
No knock against Sara Errani. But Petra should have been on that Stadium court, instead of her.

Errani ranked higher, so ranking wise she should be there, tho 'name' wise, Pavs vs Petra is way bigger match up and maybe better for promoting WTA

Excelscior
Dec 31st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Errani ranked higher, so ranking wise she should be there, tho 'name' wise, Pavs vs Petra is way bigger match up and maybe better for promoting WTA

Petra was on the stadium court opening night, when Eranni was on some back court (I don't even think it was show court 1). :lol: So they didn't have to put her on the show court today/tonight. :confused:

If I do decide to watch this and there is no announcer, I just hope that I can keep myself up. :eek:

bruce goose
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Happy New Year,Czech Petra Fans Mafia:cool:!Am catching a morning flight back to Mexico tomorrow so I can't stay up late for Petra's match which will pro'bly start soon...at least vs. Miss cute baby fat,Petra won't be at any stamina disadvantage;).....VAMONOS PETRA:bounce:!!!

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM
I really don't know what to say, other than, let's see what happens in Sydney and Brisbane?

And if you guys didn't know, Sharapova is out the tournament. So who ever gets out of the quarter here, maybe playing Petra pigeon Dannie Hantch during the semi.

Missed potential opportunity. Oh well.

With everything discussed about Petra and her team at the end of the season, I have a wait and see attitude and won't let this bother me.

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Happy New Year,Czech Petra Fans Mafia:cool:!Am catching a morning flight back to Mexico tomorrow so I can't stay up late for Petra's match which will pro'bly start soon...at least vs. Miss cute baby fat,Petra won't be at any stamina disadvantage;).....VAMONOS PETRA:bounce:!!!

Happy New Year Bruce.

You didn't miss nothing. :help:

netphobia
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM
Ohhh Petra.

She tried.

ShiftyFella
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:42 AM
I really don't know what to say, other than, let's see what happens in Sydney?

She better win Sydney cause it has weak field and floping hard there:tape:

Overall i liked what Petra displayed but she needs to fix her head, it's more important on priority list than fitness

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:47 AM
She better win Sydney cause it has weak field and floping hard there:tape:

Overall i liked what Petra displayed but she needs to fix her head, it's more important on priority list than fitness

I'm trying to be polite and not sound mean Shifty. But I have to ask; since you mentioned Petra's head: How to you blow numerous BP opportunities, plus blow you own serve (when you know you can take it into a 3rd set), with a player that has known serving, DF and crumbling issues.

I mean, just the quality alone of many of Petra's ROS winners should have made her win the match. Pav's didn't come close to the consistent and spectacular quality of Petra's blistering ROS during the match, and Petra still lost! How do you explain that? :help:

netphobia
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:58 AM
Pavs played smart. She was hitting drop shots, moving Petra around and I thought she served very well – infrequent DFs. She wasn't rushing it. And if you let it, that kind of thing would really get inside your head and mess up your mentality.

But you're right. She could have won it...and we all know she has the talent necessary to do so. But she didn't. It's something mental. (Fitness is one of the most important things...but you can be fit as hell and still be a mess. Exhibit A: Sam Stosur. :facepalm:)

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:04 AM
Pavs played smart. She was hitting drop shots, moving Petra around and I thought she served very well – infrequent DFs. She wasn't rushing it. And if you let it, that kind of thing would really get inside your head and mess up your mentality.

But you're right. She could have won it...and we all know she has the talent necessary to do so. But she didn't. It's something mental. (Fitness is one of the most important things...but you can be fit as hell and still be a mess. Exhibit A: Sam Stosur. :facepalm:)

Hey Netphobia.

Yeah, Pav's won some points off drop shots, but they weren't many. And to be quite honest, some of them appeared to be bail out shots when Petra's groundies were really rolling.

As far as her serving: Pav's wasn't serving very hard. But she was serving very high risky by going for the lines on practically every serve. This is the reason why she ended up with so many second serves. And with all due respect, if Petra's needs to win a series of big points off Pav's serve (when all things are well) I expect her to. Obviously that didn't happen here, including when Petra needed to serve into a 3rd set. That's abominable. You noticed, after Pav's fast start, when Petra started rolling, she lost her confidence in her serving (and probably the game). It's almost like she was a bystander. But Petra gave her life, every time she got broke back after a key break, missed a break opportunity, or got broken herself.

Mentally, she let so many chances in that game go by, you gotta wonder.

As I've been saying all night, 'since she didn't make any major changes in her team that we're aware of, I'm going to reserve judgement and not look forward to the season'. I'll take it for what it is, as it produces itself.

Nonetheless, because of this, I'll cut her some slack, cause it's a new season till Sydney and the Aussie Open. But it's certainly not a positive start, especially when you consider how she lost, and the fact that Maria had dropped out of her half.

Already she starts the season with lost momentum.

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:13 AM
One the ironies and funny part about the match: If you would have looked at Petra when she was down initially, on a roll, and fighting it out towards the end, she looked so calm, confident and almost arrogant (until the very end till you saw emotion). She just went about her business like a Gangsta, like she knew she was going to win. :lol:

Any one who would have looked at her demeanor alone, would have thought "Petra's Going To Win this"! :lol:

Not saying it's not a good thing, or she won't get better and win similar matches in the future; but you may not want to fall for that again in the future (if you did tonight). :oh:

netphobia
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:35 AM
You know, I think it's virtually impossible for me to be surprised by any of Petra's results any more. She could play the world #223 and lose and I would probably not be surprised.

:sobbing:

ShiftyFella
Jan 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM
I'm trying to be polite and not sound mean Shifty. But I have to ask; since you mentioned Petra's head: How to you blow numerous BP opportunities, plus blow you own serve (when you know you can take it into a 3rd set), with a player that has known serving, DF and crumbling issues.

I mean, just the quality alone of many of Petra's ROS winners should have made her win the match. Pav's didn't come close to the consistent and spectacular quality of Petra's blistering ROS during the match, and Petra still lost! How do you explain that? :help:
that's easy, she just another headcase. it's funny how almost all my faves are::sobbing:

Petra displayed improvement in her demeanor on court but she's still mental case, flopping hard by making few silly UEs then DFing because of that or hitting UEs after being frustrated from few bad calls by linesman's and just overall having wrong game plan. 2\3 of her UEs were simple shots that went long because she just tried to overpower Pavs, tho she has great anticipation and variety but she just stuck in angry brainless ball basher mode.

On the other hand Pavs came to match prepared and showed her game from the start, also not getting frustrated by linesman's call or when hitting UEs, stepping up when she had BP opportunity, recognizing when to change the pace, etc. basically she just was the better player in this match, also i believe if Pavs didn't surprised Petra like she did from the start this could be totally another game but Petra had her chances numerous times in the end she just blew them. anyone can beat Petra if they just more mentally strong that her and this is depressing.

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
that's easy, she just another headcase. it's funny how almost all my faves are::sobbing:

Petra displayed improvement in her demeanor on court but she's still mental case, flopping hard by making few silly UEs then DFing because of that or hitting UEs after being frustrated from few bad calls by linesman's and just overall having wrong game plan. 2\3 of her UEs were simple shots that went long because she just tried to overpower Pavs, tho she has great anticipation and variety but she just stuck in angry brainless ball basher mode.

On the other hand Pavs came to match prepared and showed her game from the start, also not getting frustrated by linesman's call or when hitting UEs, stepping up when she had BP opportunity, recognizing when to change the pace, etc. basically she just was the better player in this match, also i believe if Pavs didn't surprised Petra like she did from the start this could be totally another game but Petra had her chances numerous times in the end she just blew them. anyone can beat Petra if they just more mentally strong that her and this is depressing.

Everything you said was true Shifty. Pav's was actually the more mentally strong one (even though she herself tightened up when Petra made her run at her and got back in the game), trying to incorporate different strategies and approaches to hang in the game.

She hung in there, even when Petra was rolling her with some very intimidating firepower, like she was going to run her off the court. Credit Pav's. She stood her ground.

The solution to Petra's bad start (you mentioned) in this match, would have been a male hitting partner. It was obvious, Petra's was getting adjusted to Pav's pace to start the match, so Petra coughed up 4 straight games and despite a valiant effort, ultimately couldn't fully adjust, recover and pull out the match. That was total lack of preparation right there.

Like I said: I don't know what we have to look forward to-from her team that's different than last year, but I'm willing to wait till after the Australian before I pass any early judgement.

JarkaFish
Jan 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Why do you keep deleting your post and posting it over again?

Queen Petra Fan
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas. I didn't follow or see her match so I can't really add anything firsthand to the conversation.

From your comments it seems Petra's still going to stubbornly try to play "her tennis" which means more boatloads of UEs, more mental lapses, and probably more losses to people she has no business losing to. And also, almost no chance of beating the big guns.

We can only pray one day she and Coach Huggybear wake up and evolve her game into some kind of consistent, higher percentage game.

From the game descriptions it seems that her fitness level is still a work in progress and her serve is still lost and waiting to be found, not to mention her head still isn't screwed on straight. Still not much mental strength and focus and no Plan B when "her tennis" doesn't get the job done.

Aye, aye aye. I think we're in for another long year.....

I totally realize the year has just begun so maybe I just need to chill. We'll know more by the end of the month.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody and hurrah for the new tennis season!!!!

ShiftyFella
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Like I said: I don't know what we have to look forward to-from her team that's different than last year, but I'm willing to wait till after the Australian before I pass any early judgement.
I will wait for FC to see where she is. i'm bummed not by the loss but the absence of preparation and nothing changed in her strategy, tho Petra reported she was working on mental\strategy aspects of her game

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Why do you keep deleting your post and posting it over again?

Computer acts up sometimes. :eek:

Excelscior
Jan 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM
I will wait for FC to see where she is. i'm bummed not by the loss but the absence of preparation and nothing changed in her strategy, tho Petra reported she was working on mental\strategy aspects of her game

Agreed.

I'm not upset she lost Per Se. Ish happens.

I'm disappointed, like you, by the fact she wasn't prepared for Pav's pace the first 4 games (Hello, can you say Male Hitting Partner), the desertion of her serve when it counted, once again the numerous blown ROS/BP opportunities, and the frequent mental lapses when she could have iced away the 2nd set, when she had the momentum.

Hey! If you lose you lose. And I know it's a very small and early sample size. However, until proven otherwise, it doesn't appear Petra has corrected some of her nagging shortcomings from last year. Let's hope she improves on these aspects soon.

bruce goose
Jan 2nd, 2013, 06:14 AM
To offer another viewpoint,one of my OTHER faves lost her opening match in a 3-setter vs. someone ranked outside the top 100:o...whereas Petra actually WON her opener against someone who's had a few wins vs. top 10 players...from THAT perspective,Brisbane doesn't look so bad

ShiftyFella
Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:54 AM
I guess no more articles from Brisbane:lol:

btw, read quotes from her interview. it's great that she recognizes it's just first tournament of the year but in a way i think Petra just delusional

bruce goose
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:26 AM
'Delusional' might be just a little too strong;we can say that Petra's in denial or failing to deal candidly with an unpleasant reality...and that doesn't sound quite as bad...and is a lot normaller:lol:.When she goes on a 5-match losing streak and then claims that she's playing pretty well,THEN we can throw around the 'delusional' label more freely.Honestly,though,I think that today's generation of WTA'ers have gotten accustomed to spewing B.S. at pressers with the intent of preserving their public images.They're a little like politicians in that respect.......When you think about it,you very rarely see a pol admit that he/she made an extremely stupid mistake;there's always some justifier to rationalize why they f--ked up or some doubletalk to suggest that the screw-up wasn't so bad.Likewise,you don't catch many tenistas with pressers like,"I embarrassed the fans,my family,the sport and even myself with today's crappy performance,and I apologize for laying such a turd on the court."

We need more post-match pressers like THIS one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

paulmara
Jan 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5143/5776018060_07b6541906_z.jpg

bruce goose
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Am inclined to nominate Paul as Tourney Thread Namer for the rest of this season...even though he's too much of a humble guy:angel: to seek such a position....and even though he stuck up for Petra's trainer by refusing to tell me how you say 'bedwetter' in Czech:(

TimeyWimey
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:43 PM
what a cute title :lol:

if Petra ever, plays Seoul, would that be "Petra dancing Gangnam Style"?

ReboundAce
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
This is good guys :lol:

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Well, considering that Petra is reportedly in a huge slump, her fan base in this subforum is actually getting more and more varied. :lol:

Czech Republic (paulmara)
Slovakia (Lufa)
USA (Excelsior)
Mexico (bruce goose)
Ukraine (ShiftyFella)
England (I.Luv.Kvitty)
Wales (pling)
Switzerland (ReboundAce)
Canada (TennisKvitova)
Israel (Israel)
India (bharatkt)
HongKong (Xepher)
Costa Rica (steni)
Australia (aloeball)
Poland (aselto)
Russia (Holdsworth)
Croatia (JarkaFish)
Estonia (Meelis)
France (Vikapower)
The Netherlands (hypersonic)
New Zealand (HowardH)
Bulgaria (iva_ds87)
Belgium (ChrissieFan)
China (b2b)
etc.

Could you imagine what will happen if she starts playing well again? :oh:

ShiftyFella
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Well, considering that Petra is reportedly in a huge slump, her fan base in this subforum is actually getting more and more varied. :lol:

KvittyGOAT still unbeatable, tho if she stinks at FC, she's really slumping:sobbing:

Petronius
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:45 PM
KvittyGOAT still unbeatable, tho if she stinks at FC, she's really slumping:sobbing:

No worries here. Petra wants to be the next Hana: three FedCups in a row is a given :angel:

Meelis
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Sydney MD

(1)A.Radwanska v BYE
(wc)Dellacqua v Q
Paszek v Jankovic
Vinci v (8)Petrova

(4)Li v McHale
Q v Hantuchova
Safarova v Q
Zheng v (6)Stosur

(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova
Lepchenko v Makarova
(wc)Rogowska v Kirilenko
Q v (3)Errani

(7)Wozniacki v U.Radwanska
Goerges v Q
Wickmayer v Q
(2)Kerber v BYE

Excelscior
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Sydney MD

(1)A.Radwanska v BYE
(wc)Dellacqua v Q
Paszek v Jankovic
Vinci v (8)Petrova

(4)Li v McHale
Q v Hantuchova
Safarova v Q
Zheng v (6)Stosur

(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova
Lepchenko v Makarova
(wc)Rogowska v Kirilenko
Q v (3)Errani

(7)Wozniacki v U.Radwanska
Goerges v Q
Wickmayer v Q
(2)Kerber v BYE

Almost perfect semi-final, final set up for Petra Meelis (said with all due respect, while knocking on massive wooden tennis racket), while aware of the Kerbers, Georges's, Kirilenko's, Makarova's, etc. I hope she can go far in this? :oh:

Good Luck Petra!!

Thanks Meelis.

flyingmachine
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Sydney here we go.

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM
(5)Kvitova v Cibulkova

n 15

all we need is Lisicki next time

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2013, 05:34 PM
n 15

all we need is Lisicki next time:confused:What does that mean?Are you looking for Petra to face someone who's highly prone to 'injury' defaults,from medical emergencies such as chapped lips,so that she can pick up an easy victory??

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
:confused:What does that mean?

unseeded „zu hectic“ Lisicki is back

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2013, 06:52 PM
unseeded „zu hectic“ Lisicki is backPaul,I think that I understand your vision better than most,but I still get lost along the way sometimes: I comprehend 'hectic' just fine,but what is 'zu'?Is that one of the German articles for the word 'the'?.....And what is Sabine 'back' to do??Pose for a photo shoot and then bruise her hip--forcing a default,of course--by bumping into the camera equipment??....And I still don't see where her presence has anything to do with Petra.Did she flirt with Petra's bf at some tourney site and get the Lioness pissed off??

paulmara
Jan 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Paul,I think that I understand your vision better than most,but I still get lost along the way sometimes: I comprehend 'hectic' just fine,but what is 'zu'?Is that one of the German articles for the word 'the'?.....And what is Sabine 'back' to do??Pose for a photo shoot and then bruise her hip--forcing a default,of course--by bumping into the camera equipment??....And I still don't see where her presence has anything to do with Petra.Did she flirt with Petra's bf at some tourney site and get the Lioness pissed off??

I watched her match with Azarenka. She requested her coach (father) and told him „I´m playing zu hectic. Zu hectic.“ I was speculating about Petra´s first round in Melbourne.

TimeyWimey
Jan 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM
i still don't understand why ALL WE NEED is zu hectic Lisicki next time, when we already got zu schlecht Petra :lol: :p

Coconut91
Jan 4th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I guess no more articles from Brisbane:lol:

btw, read quotes from her interview. it's great that she recognizes it's just first tournament of the year but in a way i think Petra just delusional

Do you have a link to this interview? :)

bruce goose
Jan 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I watched her match with Azarenka. She requested her coach (father) and told him „I´m playing zu hectic. Zu hectic.“ I was speculating about Petra´s first round in Melbourne.Well,I did a quick check and found out that 'zu' is often used for the adverb 'too'.Sabine's excuses are usually nothing but "stier kot";however,I wouldn't mind seeing her and Petra oil-wrestle in spandex:drool:.Indeed,she'd probably be a convenient opponent for Petra for the reason you mentioned

pling
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Petra up 2nd on the main arena :bounce:

http://www.apiainternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/OP2.pdf

I bet Woz vs Urszula goes on for bloody hours though :(

paulmara
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:51 AM

I´m still confused
No daylight saving time in 2013 in Brisbane
Daylight saving time: +1 hour in Sydney

i still don't understand why ALL WE NEED is zu hectic Lisicki next time, when we already got zu schlecht Petra :lol: :p

Petra´s paradox : All we need is = All we need is NOT

AfroIYH
Jan 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I´m still confused
Queensland, Northern Ter. and Western Australia don't observe DST.

TimeyWimey
Jan 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I´m still confused

Petra´s paradox : All we need is = All we need is NOT

thanks Paul! finally :yeah:

Excelscior
Jan 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Was it just me? :shrug: Cause they appeared to keep their Friday schedule up forever (up until the last time I checked last night), now all of a sudden they jumped to their Sun schedule?? :help: :unsure: :help:

ShiftyFella
Jan 5th, 2013, 04:28 PM

I hope Woz vs Ula will be at least 3 hours cause i don't want to choose between Petra and Vikings:o: I hate time zones why earth isn't flat anymore:lol:

Excelscior
Jan 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I hope Woz vs Ula will be at least 3 hours cause i don't want to choose between Petra and Vikings:o: I hate time zones why earth isn't flat anymore:lol:

What difference would it make?

Wouldn't you be watching Petra on a stream anyway (or are you watching the football game on your computer as well)? :lol: :unsure: :lol:

Plus, Petra will probably play between 8-8:30, unless the Woz match is a blow out.

The Minnesota game is scheduled at 4:30, right?

TimeyWimey
Jan 5th, 2013, 05:27 PM
nein, 8pm

ShiftyFella
Jan 5th, 2013, 07:35 PM
What difference would it make?

Wouldn't you be watching Petra on a stream anyway (or are you watching the football game on your computer as well)? :lol: :unsure: :lol:

Plus, Petra will probably play between 8-8:30, unless the Woz match is a blow out.

The Minnesota game is scheduled at 4:30, right?
no way i'm going to miss Minnesota whooping Rodgers ass and it will be on TV at 8p.m but i guess game will be starting around 8:30 as usual but i don't want to miss Petra vs Pome too. when i have to chose between matches something happens in a match that i don't see that i regret not seeing and find out on twitter\highlights first before watching repeat of it. If Caro\Ula would be blow out in about an hour i can live with skipping 1st quarter, i doubt Petra's match would be longer that one hour but Caro vs Ula playing for 3 hours would be better since i'm not skipping anything:p

Deestruction
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
This better be a good ass tournament, Petra hasnt had a shine since New Haven.
http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/b/b3/Rolleyes.gif

Petronius
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:07 PM
This better be a good ass tournament, Petra hasnt had a shine since New Haven.

She has a chance to go 5-0 against Domi. :hearts:

Deestruction
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Well lets see what happens. ;)

Barktra
Jan 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM
I think I am going to cry, so embarrassing for Petra.

cosmoose
Jan 6th, 2013, 01:59 AM
All of you people expressing shock and surprise at this result, I guess you haven't been Petra fan for long?

This happened way too many times last year.

Meet the new Kvitty, same as the old Kvitty :(

pling
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:02 AM
All of you people expressing shock and surprise at this result, I guess you haven't been Petra fan for long?

this is worse than last year :sad:

Hartson
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:04 AM
She played decently at the US Open Series.. Why after that she playing worse and worse :sad:

Barktra
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM

Honestly it was worse than most times

netphobia
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb50znvDAi1r95m39o1_500.png

(sigh)

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:19 AM

No, this is different/worse! Now you're going overboard.

Domi's a Petra Patsy, and she normally doesn't lose to them.

Plus, what was Petra doing the past month of training, since her timing, serve and strokes are so off? She appeared totally out of her element today.

Remember, she at least won Hopman Cup last year, and made the Semi's of Sydney. Now she's lost two matches in a row, after only making it the second rd in her previous tournament.

She's actually started the year well the past two seasons.

This is not the same. Petra's worse. She's also seemed to lose her brain and what ever element of tactical strategy or concern she had left to start a tournament.

What are they doing with her over there? :shrug:

TimeyWimey
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:35 AM
can't even remember last time she only won 2 games or less :facepalm:

what the hell is going on?

cosmoose
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:47 AM
No, this is different/worse! Now you're going overboard.

Domi's a Petra Patsy, and she normally doesn't lose to them.

Plus, what was Petra doing the past month of training, since her timing, serve and strokes are so off? She appeared totally out of her element today.

Remember, she at least won Hopman Cup last year, and made the Semi's of Sydney. Now she's lost two matches in a row, after only making it the second rd in her previous tournament.

She's actually started the year well the past two seasons.

This is not the same. Petra's worse. She's also seemed to lose her brain and what ever element of tactical strategy or concern she had left to start a tournament.

What are they doing with her over there? :shrug:

Maybe i'm making excuse for her but I explain today's loss as combination of:
Hot humid weather, her asthma acting up and lack of confidence.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Maybe i'm making excuse for her but I explain today's loss as combination of:
Hot humid weather, her asthma acting up and lack of confidence.

Understandable Moose. No problem. :)

However, even if those things were true (her asthma and the conditions): It wouldn't stop her from working a point properly. Cause it just appeared that Petra had no control over her shots.

The other thing is: Why is she still having problems with her asthma? Shouldn't this be something that her team is 100% dedicated to alleviating, leaving no stone unturned? :shrug:

Now, after saying all this: It still wouldn't shock me if she made some serious noise at the Australian. That's Petra! :lol:

cosmoose
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Understandable Moose. No problem. :)

However, even if those things were true (her asthma and the conditions): It wouldn't stop her from working a point properly. Cause it just appeared that Petra had no control over her shots.

The other thing is: Why is she still having problems with her asthma? Shouldn't this be something that her team is 100% dedicated to alleviating, leaving no stone unturned? :shrug:

Now, after saying all this: It still wouldn't shock me if she made some serious noise at the Australian. That's Petra! :lol:

I can't remember who but I do remember reading a tweet from one of the tennis reporters down under saying Petra was having a hard time coping with her asthma.

bharatkt
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I am glad I didn't see the match.

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I hope Woz vs Ula will be at least 3 hours cause i don't want to choose between Petra and Vikings:o: Well,I hope you chose the Vikings because,unless they had lost 44-7,they couldn't have done worse than that big smelly turd that Petra laid on the Sydney court today:facepalm:....and Paul,get that translation ready;I have a feeling that you'll be forced to keep your promise at the end of March(the 3-month trial period):help:

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:00 AM
I can't remember who but I do remember reading a tweet from one of the tennis reporters down under saying Petra was having a hard time coping with her asthma.

That was before Brisbane started.

And she actually played better (from her first match, and after the first 4 games of her 2nd/last match) there. :eek:

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Paul,with YOUR creativity,I'm a bit disappointed with the updated thread title---In place of the word 'lost',why not submit the verbal phrase like so: "Petra(creates biohazard by dropping a toxic,manure-smelling stinkbomb)in Sydney".....That might be a clearer summation:rolleyes:

Seriously,I hope that Petra's health is okay but,if her asthma is gonna leave her THIs helpless on such a regular basis,then maybe it's time to retire NOW instead of risking some on-court attack that might take her life

HowardH
Jan 6th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Wow that's a bad day on court. Even though I know Petra is very up and down so I know she might lose, despite the 4-0 head to head, I am a little surprised that the scoreline would be so bleak. Well, Domi is also pretty up and down, maybe Domi was red hot as well as Petra not playing well? I didn't see it so I have no idea of the level of play from both players but I presume it wasn't pretty from Petra at least.

A good run in Melbourne would probably erase such a loss from the minds of her followers. I wouldn't put it past her to come out of nowhere with a great result at some stage this year. Just have to sit back and wait till it happens. There's no way she's going to be a truly consistent performer any time soon, judging from this. Maybe never. But I still think she'll have hot streaks and deep runs in slams. Last year she was actually quite consistent in slams, SF, SF, QF, 4R. So maybe she'll still do well in the AO. If she bombs out then it might be time to really worry.

King Halep
Jan 6th, 2013, 06:23 AM
no way i'm going to miss Minnesota whooping Rodgers ass and it will be on TV at 8p.m :p

:help:

King Halep
Jan 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM
It will be hot and humid next week so she should start flying home no

paulmara
Jan 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Paul,with YOUR creativity,I'm a bit disappointed with the updated thread title---In place of the word 'lost',why not submit the verbal phrase like so: "Petra(creates biohazard by dropping a toxic,manure-smelling stinkbomb)in Sydney".....That might be a clearer summation:rolleyes:

You should visit czech tennis forum or GM

Press conference Q What was wrong?

everything

http://sport.idnes.cz/tenisove-turnaje-sydney-08s-/tenis.aspx?c=A130106_081530_tenis_ald

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM

:(

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Off Topic: What happened to i.luv.kvitty, guys? Did they permaban her? :sad: I miss her. :sobbing:

Jajaloo
Jan 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM

I live in Melbourne, never trust the rumours. The forecast by the Bureau of Metereology hasn't been released for next week yet.

Even still, Petra will play on Hisense or Rod Laver, if its hotter, the roof will be closed a little to allow for more shade.

I'm not counting her out yet. I expect at least 4R at the AO. After all, this was just one match. Even Serena lost to Razzano. I know people are saying this time last year she won Hopman Cup. Well if she played this year she would've been guaranteed a final because the women's field was so weak.

lupojohn
Jan 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I don't even know where to begin with this latest meltdown.

lupojohn
Jan 6th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Even Serena lost to Razzano.

Not to turn this into a non-Petra issue, but since you made the comparision, it's a bad one. If you remember what happened to Razzano, you'd know there was divine intervention going on in that match.

King Halep
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
:(

hi sweety

Petronius
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Off Topic: What happened to i.luv.kvitty, guys? Did they permaban her? :sad: I miss her. :sobbing:

Send her a PM.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
You should visit czech tennis forum or GM

Press conference Q What was wrong?

http://sport.idnes.cz/tenisove-turnaje-sydney-08s-/tenis.aspx?c=A130106_081530_tenis_ald

Petra sounds at a loss for words. Just read this paragraph. If any of our Czech members like to chime in for accuracy (this is a Google translation), feel free:

"I played really badly. I would like to know what I could say to that, but I do not know," she told Australian reporters Kvitova. "I'm not that well right now, in terms of confidence, but I always look forward. Awaits us Grand Slam and I hope everything will be better there than here," she added.
Zdroj: http://sport.idnes.cz/tenisove-turnaje-sydney-08s-/tenis.aspx?c=A130106_081530_tenis_ald

Hmmmhh. I don't know..... SMH :scratch:

Tisk, Tisk, Tisk.

TimeyWimey
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM
nothing will be better, she'd better hope everyone else be worse

hypersonic
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM
^^ To Excel, if that translation is correct, it doesn't sound like her performance was a tank job, unless she's trying to come across as passive, while coming out blazing guns in Melbourne. She needs to do some soul searching the coming days if she wants to start her year with a bang (this really sounds pessimistic). I know her game relies on risky shots because that's how she's imprinted but she has had comebacks in the past while playing with lackluster attitude, shots 50 feet out on the stands and abysmal footwork - through improvising on the court (utilizing her all-court game). The outlook is quite gloomy if her confidence is already on a low. I really hope I'm wrong. I hope she gets some free passes (i mean, easy opponents during the first week in Oz) to get her into form while playing shit tennis (look at US Open first few rounds last year against Hercog and Cornet), so she can gain some of the needed fire and confidence. The problem is, her ranking is not that high, so she could already get a difficult contender in the third round.

Vikapower
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Petra, Petra, Petra... :facepalm: The only advantage that I have is that I'm too busy right now to follow tennis on a consistent basis :oh: but it seems nothing has changed for her. I have no idea if she's in a mini-slump, advanced-slump or just totally done at 21-22 [whatever age she's given by the WTA] but I really hope she gets her stuff together again.

People talk about fitness (the most obvious thing they think they can see from where they are to speculate on her various Mayan's end-of-the-Petra's-world) but is Petra for example eager enough like she was in the YEC or in Linz 2011 to go on the drawing board and work 'other' winning strategies ? She's become that lazy nowadays ?

She can slice, drop-shot, play controlled-offensive tennis, transition forward... -- her post-Wimbledon slump resulted into on-court tactical changes and this is how she won Linz playing the most varied/complete tennis you'd ever seen from her ; in the YEC she [they] decided to charge the net a lot... she definitively has the talent to explore other domains than just brutal power. Does her actual coach self encourage her to do so ?

The rare times where Petra thought tactical-tennis, she was alone without her coach, no ? :shrug:

Even if Petra had thoroughly worked her fitness in the off-season, considering she isn't a natural athlete, this would take years before everything comes neatly into place -- she really really needs to find an alternative game-plan to her A-game, it could be slicing her backhand ala Vinci every time in difficult times or hitting her strokes with more spin and considerably less power but at least winning is the only thing that would count.

Losing to Cibulkova 1 & 1 is simply just as bad as it gets -- I'm not even going to predict anything for her, at this stage it's just wait and see how she makes things unfold because this is taking 'Ivanovic-ian' proportions in terms of career derailment -- we're already a year away from Petra's peak almost 2 now -- time flies fast and 2011 seems already so much like yesterday, though, Petra would have had a 2 year 'peak/prime' in comparison to Nananovic's semi-year fluke (that was just to not call Bruce's attention). :oh:

ShiftyFella
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but she only played two matches in Brisbane (and didn't look that great). So I don't agree. That's not enough matches, mind you quality ones.

And you're saying it's humid in Sydney now (shouldn't stop her from at least competing)?

And Vaidisova, won't be enough to hit against, if she wants to beat Sharapova, Petrova, Serena (and maybe some others).

Plus, other players won't relentlessly work on you with drills, the way a paid hitting partner will. It's not the same. Trust me.
In terms of humidity Brisbane>Sydney>Melbourne, so no problem for her in Melbourne, also if there would be extremely hot this translates to faster courts, this favors Petra and i bet she will be hungry for some fins, so see her reaching QF at least. Pova hasn't played at all and Vika had only one match but i'm sure they easily reach SF, can't see why Petra can't do same, i have all confidence in her.

Well,I hope you chose the Vikings because,unless they had lost 44-7,they couldn't have done worse than that big smelly turd that Petra laid on the Sydney court today:facepalm:....and Paul,get that translation ready;I have a feeling that you'll be forced to keep your promise at the end of March(the 3-month trial period):help:
I chose Putinseva match, it was hilarious epic match, also watched Petra and Vikings put on mute. Kinda disappointing day, Bengals were useless, Ponder didn't show up and Webb didn't play explosive like he can(kudos to GB for stopping AD), Petra tanked to Domi, Sofia lost but at least Galina made it:hearts: and Putinseva didn't advance just to see Sloane vs Yulia disrespect each other:lol:

ShiftyFella
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
it'a He and he's banned as usual:rolleyes:

Embittered
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Cibulkova had an unfair advantage having taken advantage of innovative Slovak training techniques: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&u=http://www.stz.sk/sutaze/konkretne-lopty-na-podujatiach-v-sezone-2013&usg=ALkJrhh6pivRV52Mc5-_BFidPRdRokRlhw

I was looking for the link to the Slovak junior open and my guesswork wasn't up to it so I resorted to Google translate. The funny translation may be dependent on your native language as Google detects it, though it's obviously inherent in the original to some extent at least.

Vikapower
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I also saw the numbers of the match, 2 winners in set 1 (14 something unforced errors) :confused: 34 in total for a 14 games match 2.4/game ? -- seriously Petra :spit: but whatever, I don't even think she'll get things corrected on hard-courts with her 'all-sorts of problems' spiral she's in right now (asthma not asthma etc.) - It would probably be wiser to wait for a peak on grass, Wimbledon and a sort of Serena-like end of 2013 form, what can one hope for (?).

I have a feeling Petra's career will be very similar to Venus', don't say I said it first.

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
^^ To Excel, if that translation is correct, it doesn't sound like her performance was a tank job, unless she's trying to come across as passive, while coming out blazing guns in Melbourne. She needs to do some soul searching the coming days if she wants to start her year with a bang (this really sounds pessimistic). I know her game relies on risky shots because that's how she's imprinted but she has had comebacks in the past while playing with lackluster attitude, shots 50 feet out on the stands and abysmal footwork - through improvising on the court (utilizing her all-court game). The outlook is quite gloomy if her confidence is already on a low. I really hope I'm wrong. I hope she gets some free passes (i mean, easy opponents during the first week in Oz) to get her into form while playing shit tennis (look at US Open first few rounds last year against Hercog and Cornet), so she can gain some of the needed fire and confidence. The problem is, her ranking is not that high, so she could already get a difficult contender in the third round.

Well, I never called it a tank job. That was ShiftyFella (who I think responded already, but not sure it's to this). Petra was just awful (whether she tried or was half ass-ing it). :lol:

Let's be clear. Petra is not as much as a hit and miss player as her reputation. When she's playing well (especially on hardcourt), her game is quite nuanced, patient and with strategy. This was just the ball bashing Petra of 3-5 years ago.

Petra just couldn't hit the ball in the ocean yesterday. And to add to it, her service was subar. Obviously, so was her brain, cause she couldn't think her way out of it as well.

What is alarming about this: Petra was quite consistent the first quarter of the past two years to start the season. This level so far, is more familiar with her top 65 status ranking in 2010, before her Wimbledon break through.

I don't know what's going to happen. But lets just sit back and see/find out? :eek:

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
hi sweety

:hi5:

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Send her a PM.

Done. :secret:

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM
"I'm not that well right now, in terms of confidence, but I always look forward. Awaits us Grand Slam and I hope everything will be better there than here," she added.

Petra. :facepalm:

So she is waiting something good to happen to her all of a sudden? Why doesn't she work hard instead of waiting things to get better for her? If she keeps thinking that way, then she won't get better at all and nothing will change. No matter how big Petra's talent is, she won't fulfill her poteional without working hard.

Just look at what Pavlyuchenkova did when she worked hard in the off-season. She transformed from a useless player to a player who plays top 10-5 tennis all of a sudden.

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
You should visit czech tennis forum or GM[/url]Are you suggesting that I have a wrong-headed attitude??You aren't implying that,to be a Petra fan,we're not allowed to be pissed-off with her over crappy performances,are you:rolleyes:?I made it clear that her health should come first and,if she can't handle the physical strain of the tour with her asthma,then she should play it safe and find something else in life that was less taxing on her health

ShiftyFella
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Are you suggesting that I have a wrong-headed attitude??You aren't implying that,to be a Petra fan,we're not allowed to be pissed-off with her over crappy performances,are you:rolleyes:?I made it clear that her health should come first and,if she can't handle the physical strain of the tour with her asthma,then she should play it safe and find something else in life that was less taxing on her health
no, amount of overreaction, crying and bashing is ridicilous. it's like they ready to burry her forever just because of some silly loss:o

Setsuna.
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
it'a He and he's banned as usual:rolleyes:

I was told i.luv.kvitty is a she. :scratch:

Sammo
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:05 PM
My condolences guys, hope Petra can do better at the AO.

Rex59
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I have a feeling Petra's career will be very similar to Venus', don't say I said it first.

Agreed......like Venus, Petra is becoming "a waste of talent". Venus lacked discipline in her ground game, which cost her a dominating career. Petra is in the same mode with Barthel not far behind. If one thinks Petra is going to "miraculously" turn her game around next week and reach the final of the AO, you need a severe reality check. All one has is "hope", for there is nothing else. Petra is vulnerable to losing in the lst round "to any player", her loss "self-caused", for this display against Cibby is the lowest, most putrid display of tennis I've seen from her. This display also falls on her coach, for there is no way a player with Petra's talent can put on a consistent display of tennis with her ground game so hit or miss. This shows how she practices to put on an exhibition of tennis like this. Unfortunately, Petra loves her coach, but a coaching change is in order if this reckless, error-laden display of tennis is not corrected in the short run.

bruce goose
Jan 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM
no, amount of overreaction, crying and bashing is ridicilous. it's like they ready to burry her forever just because of some silly loss:oShifty,I say this in a friendly way,but: Pull your head out of your ass!!You do the EXACT same thing when one of your NFL faves loses;it's a very NORMAL reaction in the aftermath of an ugly loss(there's only one 'R' in "bury",btw).I'm going to do the same thing,too,when the Ravens bring Ray Lewis' great career to an end by losing to that college team from Indiana:rolleyes:.What's UN-natural is when some idiot spends two hours' straight and takes up three forum pages in lamenting the loss(or gets hin/herself permabanned due to some neurotic obsession with Sharapova;)).

Anyway,most all of us will get over Petra's loss soon enough:),but I've gotta run so that I'll be ready to smash a lead pipe against the driveaway wall when the Ravens F-up again:lol:...see you tomorrow,Shifty:wavey:

ShiftyFella
Jan 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Shifty,I say this in a friendly way,but: Pull your head out of your ass!!You do the EXACT same thing when one of your NFL faves loses;it's a very NORMAL reaction in the aftermath of an ugly loss(there's only one 'R' in "bury",btw).I'm going to do the same thing,too,when the Ravens bring Ray Lewis' great career to an end by losing to that college team from Indiana:rolleyes:.What's UN-natural is when some idiot spends two hours' straight and takes up three forum pages in lamenting the loss(or gets hin/herself permabanned due to some neurotic obsession with Sharapova;)).

Anyway,most all of us will get over Petra's loss soon enough:),but I've gotta run so that I'll be ready to smash a lead pipe against the driveaway wall when the Ravens F-up again:lol:...see you tomorrow,Shifty:wavey:
one thing being bitter, sad and disappointed cause your fave lost and totally another overreact to something in GM fashion:p

Excelscior
Jan 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Agreed......like Venus, Petra is becoming "a waste of talent". Venus lacked discipline in her ground game, which cost her a dominating career. Petra is in the same mode with Barthel not far behind. If one thinks Petra is going to "miraculously" turn her game around next week and reach the final of the AO, you need a severe reality check. All one has is "hope", for there is nothing else. Petra is vulnerable to losing in the lst round "to any player", her loss "self-caused", for this display against Cibby is the lowest, most putrid display of tennis I've seen from her. This display also falls on her coach, for there is no way a player with Petra's talent can put on a consistent display of tennis with her ground game so hit or miss. This shows how she practices to put on an exhibition of tennis like this. Unfortunately, Petra loves her coach, but a coaching change is in order if this reckless, error-laden display of tennis is not corrected in the short run.

Sadly Rex59, until proven otherwise: I think You're mostly correct. :unsure: :yeah: :unsure:

It is, what it is, till we see changes. :shrug:

Hopefully, Petra's young and astute enough to change, adapt and realize what's happening, before it's too late. :eek:

bruce goose
Jan 7th, 2013, 01:49 AM
one thing being bitter, sad and disappointed cause your fave lost and totally another overreact to something in GM fashion:pTalk about a wussified answer:lol:,ESPECIALLY FROM AN NFL FAN WHO'S SEEN COACHES TOTALLY TRASH THEIR TEAMS in pressers following pathetic efforts.

First of all,you're on shaky ground in trying to dictate what words we ARE and are NOT allowed to use in expressing our opinions.You and your Eastern Bloc brethren had leaders like those for years and didn't seem to enjoy that Communist paradise very much;).Second,I didn't launch any personal insults at Petra OR her character at all;saying that her on-court performance was awful doesn't demean Petra as a person in any way unless I insinuated or explicitly stated that her play was a reflection of her quality as a human being.

The most practical argument against negative posting is that the player herself will read it and get demoralized by her fans' criticism.....but even THAT is highly flawed b/c such a weak,overly-sensitive player has no hope of establishing herself amongst the elite until she toughens up.The 'No Criticism' Rule would be more valid for a fragile player with limited potential who needed all the moral support she could get.With such a player,though,any intelligent fan would have modest expectations from the start.

Off-Topic: I don't think that Joe Webb is that good as a QB(he's more of a trick play,mix-it-up type,from what I've seen).If he WERE reasonably good,then he would've pushed Ponder more for playing time by now

netphobia
Jan 7th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Point is this loss sucks and all we can really do is wait for the Australian Open to start so that we can see if she'll bring it on the big stage, or at least pull herself together enough to get past R2. :help: Debating about how best to express feelings re: a loss is something that might be better suited to private messages.

Just my two cents ;) I don't mean to offend.

I know Petra's still capable of producing great tennis. Heck, there were even a couple shots in her most recent loss that made me smile because they just clipped the line and were pretty cool to see. I think she's in a bad place with her confidence and is overthinking her shots. (And underthinking her strategy....) She looks fitter than last year to me (last year meaning the latter half of 2012, which is when people started to complain about her lack of fitness). Her timing is way, way off. Who knows, maybe she just didn't practice much. And no matter what level she's playing at Petra is always going to be streaky and I honestly doubt her ability to string together seven good matches for a Slam, which incidentally might be part of why everyone on her team seems so :unsure: about 2011 as a collective year. Like it's some sort of freakish anomaly that she won six tournaments including a Slam and a YEC.

:shrug: I don't know. It's frustrating because you know she can be really, really good, but the thing is that she is also capable of losing to people who are far worse and less complete players than she is just because it's an "off day" or the conditions weren't exactly correct or she wasn't quite fired up enough mentally to get through it. She's always been that way. So I don't know that everyone should be freaking out and saying it's the beginning of the end of her career as a top player or that she's going to be wasted potential just because she showed her natural streaky, inconsistent play on a bad day. I'm sure she has plenty more good days ahead of her. Maybe even seven in a row. ;)

ShiftyFella
Jan 7th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Talk about a wussified answer:lol:,ESPECIALLY FROM AN NFL FAN WHO'S SEEN COACHES TOTALLY TRASH THEIR TEAMS in pressers following pathetic efforts.

First of all,you're on shaky ground in trying to dictate what words we ARE and are NOT allowed to use in expressing our opinions.You and your Eastern Bloc brethren had leaders like those for years and didn't seem to enjoy that Communist paradise very much;).Second,I didn't launch any personal insults at Petra OR her character at all;saying that her on-court performance was awful doesn't demean Petra as a person in any way unless I insinuated or explicitly stated that her play was a reflection of her quality as a human being.

What the heck are you talking about? I was just talking about GM trolls and theirs amount of overreaction compared to fave bashing here, comments by Petra's mostly friendly with some harsh criticism but in GM is like 'being in a pool full of sharks', i think Paul was implying that too, also i didn't even read your comments, i'm too lazy to read everything:lol:

Off-Topic: I don't think that Joe Webb is that good as a QB(he's more of a trick play,mix-it-up type,from what I've seen).If he WERE reasonably good,then he would've pushed Ponder more for playing time by now
He's not good, Webb just gimmicky best used in spread-offense and this style of offense would be great compliment to AD's ability to run the ball but GB stopped him, Joe wasn't running enough and play action pass was dreadful, also i'm surprised how GB adjusted they system cause Webb was announced as a starter just hour before the game.

aloeball
Jan 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Ive been in touch with a tennis coach, pretty high profile. Got me tickets for Sydney, not that theyre expensive anyway but he was nice enough to.

Shame that Petras out already :( was hoping to see her play.

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Point is this loss sucks and all we can really do is wait for the Australian Open to start so that we can see if she'll bring it on the big stage, or at least pull herself together enough to get past R2. :help: Debating about how best to express feelings re: a loss is something that might be better suited to private messages.

Just my two cents ;) I don't mean to offend.

I know Petra's still capable of producing great tennis. Heck, there were even a couple shots in her most recent loss that made me smile because they just clipped the line and were pretty cool to see. I think she's in a bad place with her confidence and is overthinking her shots. (And underthinking her strategy....) She looks fitter than last year to me (last year meaning the latter half of 2012, which is when people started to complain about her lack of fitness). Her timing is way, way off. Who knows, maybe she just didn't practice much. And no matter what level she's playing at Petra is always going to be streaky and I honestly doubt her ability to string together seven good matches for a Slam, which incidentally might be part of why everyone on her team seems so :unsure: about 2011 as a collective year. Like it's some sort of freakish anomaly that she won six tournaments including a Slam and a YEC.

:shrug: I don't know. It's frustrating because you know she can be really, really good, but the thing is that she is also capable of losing to people who are far worse and less complete players than she is just because it's an "off day" or the conditions weren't exactly correct or she wasn't quite fired up enough mentally to get through it. She's always been that way. So I don't know that everyone should be freaking out and saying it's the beginning of the end of her career as a top player or that she's going to be wasted potential just because she showed her natural streaky, inconsistent play on a bad day. I'm sure she has plenty more good days ahead of her. Maybe even seven in a row. ;)

Nice post.

You made a lot of salient observations on Petra's game and where's it's at (particularly early in your post), and what may be needed to remedy it.

However, in fairness to Petra, she did start the previous two years (the first quarter of the season) very consistently. So it's doable. What Petra's doing now is a clear drop off.

There's a difference between not being as consistent as a Sharapova, Vika, or even 2011 Wozniaki (Petra was behind Vika and Masha in 2012 thorough out, while similar at the majors, and arguably the same or better in 2011 altogether). She can do it.

What we're seeing now, is similar to Petra's 2010 matches, or her rough patches in 2011 and 2012, albeit after already having success and tournament wins.

Let's hope, she can pick it up, and knock em dead at the Australian, after feasting on some early round fodder? :oh:

paulmara
Jan 7th, 2013, 06:18 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/01/25/1225994/307097-melbourne-park-redevelopment.jpg

bruce goose
Jan 7th, 2013, 06:30 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/01/25/1225994/307097-melbourne-park-redevelopment.jpgIs barbecuing quite popular in that park??That's the only logical conclusion because I doubt that Petra actually attended the Sydney Opera House yet the image is very vivid so it made sense when you incorporated it into the previous thread title.Also,Petra doesn't strike me as the barbecuing type(unless her dad's doing the cooking,maybe).Perhaps you Czechs have read Petra's comments on her affinity,or lack thereof,for barbecuing(?).Like I said,though,if Melbourne Park is famous for 'putting shrimps on the barbie',then you get a free pass:hatoff:

netphobia
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/01/25/1225994/307097-melbourne-park-redevelopment.jpg

:drool: :hearts: my favorite Slam.

These thread titles. :lol:

paulmara
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Is barbecuing quite popular in that park??That's the only logical conclusion

it has many hidden meanings

Deestruction
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:15 PM
*sighs* this bitch is too much i swear. :rolleyes:

maybe the czechs successes last year really got them, they must've gotten laid with their bfs/gfs. their results are just embarassing.:o

bruce goose
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:16 PM
it has many hidden meaningsWould like to learn those meanings via PM when you get the chance.Given your preference for gentle language,you're surely not implying that Petra is doing anything bad:angel:

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM
*sighs* this bitch is too much i swear. :rolleyes:

maybe the czechs successes last year really got them, they must've gotten laid with their bfs/gfs. their results are just embarassing.:o

I see, you did change your name. :lol:

Deestruction
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:20 PM
I see, you did change your name. :lol:

Well i was gonna change it regardless, i wanna be anonymous. :lol: ;)

paulmara
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Have had a tough time in Australia so far, but I'm leaving for Melbourne today and hoping to turn things around in time for the Australian Open, one of my favourite places to play! Thanks for all your support :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/185711_472794969451254_792835160_n.jpg

Excelscior
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Well i was gonna change it regardless, i wanna be anonymous. :lol: ;)

Why, people bother you because of Petra (or you're just speaking in general)? :lol:

pling
Jan 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
" Have had a tough time in Australia so far, but I'm leaving for Melbourne today and hoping to turn things around in time for the Australian Open, one of my favourite places to play! Thanks for all your support :) "

Petra :cheer:

AO Series Hustle :cool:

Petronius
Jan 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/185711_472794969451254_792835160_n.jpg

Nice message and a cool pic :yeah:

I'm hearing lots of people on idnes.cz message boards are fed up with those terrible Petra, Lucie or Klara grimaces so good to see a quality pic for a change :lol:

Deestruction
Jan 7th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Why, people bother you because of Petra (or you're just speaking in general)? :lol:

Oh no i did it because i wanted to put this name anyways, i was inspired by my performance in the mtf pop con contest. And one poster nickname me Deestruction so i decided ill add it here as my username. So basically its just general. :lol:

ReboundAce
Jan 7th, 2013, 08:17 PM
And she will turn things around, the pressure is off, and she'll play like there's no tomorrow, Go Petra :bounce::cheer:

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Nice message and a cool pic :yeah:

I'm hearing lots of people on idnes.cz message boards are fed up with those terrible Petra, Lucie or Klara grimaces so good to see a quality pic for a change :lol:Grimaces are almost unavoidable when the female athlete is in action.Most intelligent folk realize that Petra is much,much lovelier:hearts: than she seems while grimacing

netphobia
Jan 8th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I have a question for you guys. On your personal sliding scale, is Petra failing as hard as Caro is lately? Because I'm seeing some similarities. Including a R1 loss one week and a R2 loss another week. And...boatloads of unforced errors. Like...a lot of them.

ShiftyFella
Jan 8th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I have a question for you guys. On your personal sliding scale, is Petra failing as hard as Caro is lately? Because I'm seeing some similarities. Including a R1 loss one week and a R2 loss another week. And...boatloads of unforced errors. Like...a lot of them.
NO, it's too early in a season and Petra always performs great at AO, besides who cares about MMs, I wanna see her win P5\PM\Slam not vulture points:rolleyes:

btw, are you implying that both career results are tied? Caro had her best years when Petra got her breakthrough, Caro had dreadful season and Petra has one filled with injuries, Petra starts slow and Caro starts slow, so you trying to go there?:lol:

hypersonic
Jan 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM

No, I don't think so. Making ue's like she did during her match against Pome were characteristic of her matches prior to her breakthrough in 2011, so it still seems to be an element of her game and to be honest, because of the risky nature of her game (and I'm not saying she can't play safe shots or improvise to get back into the match), ue's will always be a part of her match, only this time, the winners are far too low (usually, it's the case that the winners:ue's are almost identical). I can't pinpoint exactly what the reason of that loss was, it could've been a mental walkabout, the elements, not feeling the ball well (off-day), or maybe she didn't think that it was worth it to come back into that match through improvisation (because that would take a lot of effort - through running - and with the heat) that she's already thinking about defending her SF or knowing that there's a more significant tournament waiting in Melbourne. It is still too early to say what's going to happen.

Excelscior
Jan 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM

It's hard to say yet. We'll see?

Petra was absolutely dreadful vs Domi. So that's scary and uncharacteristic of what she's been doing lately the past two years, to start the season.

She was just bad (i.e. up and down vs Pav's), and respectable against CSN.

If Petra keeps this up though (even if she does well in the majors), she could fall out of the top 10 or top 20, and I don't think that would be a good thing for her confidence.

If this is true: Unless she gets her year together, she may fall into a level of inconsistency below 2011 or 2012. And if that was to happen, it would be ugly.

Obviously, somethings not clicking and working to start the season (mentally, tennis and preparation wise). And hopefully (regarding your original question), Petra can get it back together and re-right the ship for the rest of the year, from a consistency, as well as a big game stand point.

She doesn't appear to be as focused and prepared, as she has the past few years to start the season. However, she wouldn't be in Caro's position (if she kept up the poor inconsistent play) for another 2-3 years. Now of course, the difference between the two is, Petra would still have a punchers chance (if she got hot) to win a major, while if Caro's playing poorly, she has none!!

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:02 PM
NO, it's too early in a season and Petra always performs great at AO, besides who cares about MMs, I wanna see her win P5\PM\Slam not vulture points:rolleyes:

btw, are you implying that both career results are tied? Caro had her best years when Petra got her breakthrough, Caro had dreadful season and Petra has one filled with injuries, Petra starts slow and Caro starts slow, so you trying to go there?:lol:You see,Shifty,even though Net has probably been corrupted somewhat by growing up in the U.S.,she's still a half-Latina angelita:angel: and she posted that to make ME feel better since both of my faves are battling right now.Being that Caroline has struggled so badly at Slams lately,it was sweet of Net to compare her to two-time(or maybe 1 1/2;))Slam champ Petra

ShiftyFella
Jan 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Petra was absolutely dreadful vs Domi. So that's scary and uncharacteristic of what she's been doing lately the past two years, to start the season.

She was just bad (i.e. up and down vs Pav's), and respectable against CSN.

With unusual extreme heat in Sydney lately, i'm even happy that Petra lost to Domi, despite what i'm thinking about performance or what transpired in this match, if she would've continued to play there she would be drained out energy at AO, even Aga already complained about wear due to noon matches under this conditions and she's more durable than Petra for sure, on the contrary our girl prepares with extreme focus(i hope) in chilly Melbourne saving her energy.:rolleyes:

You see,Shifty,even though Net has probably been corrupted somewhat by growing up in the U.S.,she's still a half-Latina angelita:angel: and she posted that to make ME feel better since both of my faves are battling right now.Being that Caroline has struggled so badly at Slams lately,it was sweet of Net to compare her to two-time(or maybe 1 1/2;))Slam champ Petra
:rolls:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7y0b5dkwW1qcb0rxo1_500.gif

bruce goose
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
:rolls:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7y0b5dkwW1qcb0rxo1_500.gifNot really sure what the Gif represents(nor can I tell if that's a drag queen or a woman with a large head).Is that supposed to be the leader of Petra's Harlem Fan club??

Deestruction
Jan 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM
No Net, its not as bad as Caro, her slam results are far worst than Petra, at least petra made it pass the 1st round, Caro has bombed out of 2 slam 1st rounds, 1 quarter and 3rd rounds, while petra lost 2 semis (maria both times), quarter and 4th round.

netphobia
Jan 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
You see,Shifty,even though Net has probably been corrupted somewhat by growing up in the U.S.,she's still a half-Latina angelita:angel: and she posted that to make ME feel better since both of my faves are battling right now.Being that Caroline has struggled so badly at Slams lately,it was sweet of Net to compare her to two-time(or maybe 1 1/2;))Slam champ Petra

:angel: :oh:

Didn't think about that, Excelsior, but it's true; even if Petra is playing absolute shit she can still get a few winners in there somehow just because of her game style. We'll have to wait for the AO to see for sure but I just wondered if anyone else was seeing similarities. Of course, the difference is that Caro has kind of been on a downward spiral for a while now...at least Petra got the US Open Series in there :lol:

Petronius
Jan 8th, 2013, 10:01 PM
For fans of Czech tennis: livescorehunter shows Martina vs. Martina tomorrow!

(About one or two hours after Kookie Zakopalova match.)

bruce goose
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM
For fans of Czech tennis: livescorehunter shows Martina vs. Martina tomorrow!What are we supposed to do if we only love Petra and despise all other manifestations of Czech tennis:p?.....Just speaking hypothetically,of course:angel:

Excelscior
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:03 AM
:angel: :oh:

Didn't think about that, Excelsior, but it's true; even if Petra is playing absolute shit she can still get a few winners in there somehow just because of her game style. We'll have to wait for the AO to see for sure but I just wondered if anyone else was seeing similarities. Of course, the difference is that Caro has kind of been on a downward spiral for a while now...at least Petra got the US Open Series in there :lol:

Yeah. I know what you mean to.

However, it's not just her game style (risky shot making) on how/why she could get hot. A lot of players can play with risk, but not have her abilities.

As you know, Petra's got that easy smooth power. Petra can also have her great serving, returning, angled shots and precision. Her volleying, slices, various spins, and spectacular shot making are just added bonuses, if/when she's really feeling it.

We've all seen these things from Petra (from varying to absolutely complete degrees) before. The question, when are we gonna see it/them again? :lol:

Excelscior
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:29 AM
@Netphobia

This is Petra full circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanoH72Dyjk

Sometimes we have a tendency to forget.

And you notice: Azarenka doesn't play any differently than she does now. But notice how Petra easily deals with her almost metro-nomic fast pace, deep balls, and turns it around in a variety of ways. This player was clearly the best in the world, and so enjoyable to watch at that. Who could complain? No wonder she picked up many new fans.

This is also the player (Petra at 2011 Istanbul) that Aga's coach was referring to in late 2012, when he mentioned "the perfect tennis player" she was approaching, in discussing her form, direction and potential at the time.

I hope we see Miss Perfect back again soon (even if it's only for a few majors). :oh:

Petra and her team really need to get their act together (or we're just going to have to wait for that natural maturity process, 1-3 yrs later, if it ever comes at all)? :eek:

TimeyWimey
Jan 9th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Yeah. I know what you mean to.

However, it's not just her game style (risky shot making) on how/why she could get hot. A lot of players can play with risk, but not have her abilities.

As you know, Petra's got that easy smooth power. Petra can also have her great serving, returning, angled shots and precision. Her volleying, slices, various spins, and spectacular shot making are just added bonuses, if/when she's really feeling it.

We've all seen these things from Petra (from varying to absolutely complete degrees) before. The question, when are we gonna see it/them again? :lol:

we will wait until we realize we should remove the when

bruce goose
Jan 9th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Is there any chance that Petra is content to be a top 10-caliber player in the latter portion of those rankings...but would rather not have the increased scrutiny and expectations of a top THREE player??I'm not talking about deliberate tanking to lower her ranking,rather a subconscious resistance(that affects her on-court play) to all the camera flashes and mikes in faces that are inevitable for players who are at or near #1.....We can agree,can't we,that there's a notable difference in the amount of attention received by Errani,Stosur and Bartoli when compared to Vika,Masha and Ree....I'm sure that Petra has noticed

Excelscior
Jan 9th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Is there any chance that Petra is content to be a top 10-caliber player in the latter portion of those rankings...but would rather not have the increased scrutiny and expectations of a top THREE player??I'm not talking about deliberate tanking to lower her ranking,rather a subconscious resistance(that affects her on-court play) to all the camera flashes and mikes in faces that are inevitable for players who are at or near #1.....We can agree,can't we,that there's a notable difference in the amount of attention received by Errani,Stosur and Bartoli when compared to Vika,Masha and Ree....I'm sure that Petra has noticed

All those things may be true, indeed Bruce. I also don't think that Petra or her team have accepted the dedication and professionalism (if they're even aware of it) required to be a top 3 player as well. It's a lot of work, planning and redundancy.

Either, or; it is what it is (until it changes, right)? :lol: :shrug: :lol:

AfroIYH
Jan 9th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I think Petra had a great 2010 because she had a certain hunger that required her to get as big of a status and as much money as she needed, 7 million in prize money alone and Career High of No. 2 later, as well as 2 Semis and a QF at Olympics and Wimbledon, I guess that hunger either lessened or disappeared.

Petronius
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM
What are we supposed to do if we only love Petra and despise all other manifestations of Czech tennis:p?.....Just speaking hypothetically,of course:angel:

Then you have a problem :lol:

For those of us who love ALL the Czech players, whether past or present, there's always something to watch :hearts:

The Adelaide exho was great to watch and Navratilova's volleys are still far better than those of any current player, Petra included :lol:

pov
Jan 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
it is what it is (until it changes, right)?
:yeah:

bruce goose
Jan 10th, 2013, 04:47 AM
All those things may be true, indeed Bruce. I also don't think that Petra or her team have accepted the dedication and professionalism (if they're even aware of it) required to be a top 3 player as well. It's a lot of work, planning and redundancy.

Either, or; it is what it is (until it changes, right)? :lol: :shrug: :lol:Was just thinking about those losses Petra had to the Siberian gringa you love so much;) and,just maybe,an unwillingness & lack of desire for the elite spotlight has a slight ebbing effect on those key points where killer instinct is often required

TimeyWimey
Jan 10th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Paul changed location from Melbourne to Melbourne Park?

I'm pretty sure there're lots of exquisite places for barbecuing in Melbourne, much better than Melbourne Park :lol:

paulmara
Jan 10th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Paul changed location from Melbourne to Melbourne Park?

No, I´m consistent

I'm pretty sure there're lots of exquisite places for barbecuing in Melbourne, much better than Melbourne Park :lol:

At least she is not playing tennis

bruce goose
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Paul changed location from Melbourne to Melbourne Park?Good ol' Paul travels between the Astral Realm and various other dimensional portals,so making the trip from Melbourne to Melbourne Park was nothing for HIM;).At least he's grounded strongly enough in reality to give us nice Petra updates,though

ShiftyFella
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:43 PM
AO R1 Petra vs Schiavone, this would be shitfest:hysteric:

Possible QF Serena vs Petra:sobbing:

pling
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Stephens / Halep
Mladenovic / Babos

Oudin / Robson
Schiavone / Kvitova

hypersonic
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Based on the level she displayed the past few weeks, Petra needs to work it and tough it out. Wow, hard draw for her, beginning from her first round against Fran. Second round, possibly against Robson. As I said, a possible difficult contender is looming in the 3rd - this time it's Sloane, another fit and overall good player. Fourth round between Safarova/Petrova. QF against Serena. All I can say is: hope the tennis gods give some luck to Petra.

pling
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM
no way in hell :lol:

:sobbing:

Excelscior
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:01 PM
AO R1 Petra vs Schiavone, this would be shitfest:hysteric:

Possible QF Serena vs Petra:sobbing:

Hmmmmmmmmmmh. Even if she got by Schiavone, and made it as far as the quarterfinal to face Serena (if she was there), that's tough.

Then again, when you fall out of the top 4, this is what happens to you. :sad:

Petra has had poor luck with the draws at the Australian Open recently. And if she loses to Serena (even if Petra plays well), it may even sap more of her confidence, as she continues to drop in the rankings (remember Petra made the semi's here last year).

Hopefully, if Petra got that far, Serena wouldn't be there, or an inspired Petra (with nothing to lose), would beat her anyway. :yeah:

And if Petra gets knocked in the third or 4th rd (regardless who she faces), and all this talk is useless: Well you know how we would feel. :lol: :no: :lol:

We'll see?

ShiftyFella
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I think 1r vs Fran is perfect it will give her great boost of confidence, Flopson is only dangerous when overlooked, Sloane can push Petra but any decent player can beat her, so not really a bad draw for our girl before Lucie\Rena

Losing Streak
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I think 1r vs Fran is perfect it will give her great boost of confidence, Flopson is only dangerous when overlooked, Sloane can push Petra but any decent player can beat her, so not really a bad draw for our girl before Lucie\Rena

Agreed. :)

TimeyWimey
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM
if she could reach 4th round, i'd be honestly impressed

hypersonic
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:10 PM

This.

PetraReeMona
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM

If she could reach 2nd round I'd be impressed :sobbing:

steni
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:42 AM
well I think she is screw!

Hartson
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Draw doesn't matter now :lol: :sobbing:

ReboundAce
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Hey, Hey you guys why the negaivity, we'll see what happens, you never know how thing will row, with Petra is always a roller coaster ride :bounce:

Hartson
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Hey, Hey you guys why the negaivity, :
It is necessary to prepare for the worst after a fantastic performance vs Domi :sobbing:

ReboundAce
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM
It is necessary to prepare for the worst after a fantastic performance vs Domi :sobbing:

Don't you worry, if she is on, painting the lines she could beat anyone :yeah:

netphobia
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:05 AM
:hysteric: This draw though. It's so bad.

WTA is becoming a mini-version of ATP...why even show up to watch when you know Serena def. Maria 6-0 6-0 for the 200th time in the finals? :lol: Bar Petra beating Serena, in which case I will fully bet on her to win it all. :hearts:

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:21 AM
well I think she is screw!Se dice 'screwed',azucar pompis:kiss:;screw=tornillo pero,de hecho,el modismo proviene de la segunda palabra.

Have heard it so many times before...that so-and-so,NOT just Petra,supposedly needs some easy wins over low-ranked opponents to get her confidence back and break out of her slump.......but I'm from the old school where you only get REAL confidence after outplaying the rest of the best...So Petra has a challenging draw at a Slam--tough shit!!This is professional sports,not pee-wee league T-ball:shrug:

netphobia
Jan 11th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Have heard it so many times before...that so-and-so,NOT just Petra,supposedly needs some easy wins over low-ranked opponents to get her confidence back and break out of her slump.......but I'm from the old school where you only get REAL confidence after outplaying the rest of the best...So Petra has a challenging draw at a Slam--tough shit!!This is professional sports,not pee-wee league T-ball:shrug:

I'm putting that on a bumper sticker :lol:

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that treat pee-wee T-ball like a professional sport. :unsure:

I did have that thought earlier, like maybe Petra needs to either snap out of it and start beating people the way she used to, or she needs a bunch of tough losses so that she realizes she should be winning and steps up.

And I say this 100% as a fan: Maria and her friggin' cakewalk draws. :fiery:

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I did have that thought earlier, like maybe Petra needs to either snap out of it and start beating people the way she used to, or she needs a bunch of tough losses so that she realizes she should be winning and steps up.

And I say this 100% as a fan: Maria and her friggin' cakewalk draws. :fiery:You understood the first part of the post,right;)?

I love to see Petra succeed,of course,but I think that so many of these Europeans here at TF forget what athletic competition is all about.It's almost as if they wanted the sporting world to act like their governments: passing out handouts and goodies to everyone(to the point of utter bankruptcy) like some sweet nanny day-care service:lol:

I could get an 'easy draw' by inviting my grandma out onto the basketball court every week and then running around with my chest out afterwards,bragging about my undefeated record.However,the games would mean a lot more if I competed against someone with good skill yet still managed to win.In the same vein,no one amongst tennis' elite would respect Petra if she racked up a ton of cakewalk wins in ITF tourneys.She'll only be respected---and will only come to trust and respect her own abilities---if she overcomes worthy opponents

I've seen a few Canucks and Aussies who were caught up in the draw-whining shtick every week...perhaps they're becoming too Europeanized:lol:....To me,sports is sports: You've got to beat whoever's in front of you

AfroIYH
Jan 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM
You understood the first part of the post,right;)?

I love to see Petra succeed,of course,but I think that so many of these Europeans here at TF forget what athletic competition is all about.It's almost as if they wanted the sporting world to act like their governments: passing out handouts and goodies to everyone(to the point of utter bankruptcy) like some sweet nanny day-care service:lol:

Stosur, Na, Williams, Del Potro, the rest of the Top 10 are occupied by which continent that forgets athletic competition?

paulmara
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Petra
I play Schiavone in the first round, I practised with her only yesterday! It's tough match for sure but it's also a great challenge :)

Are you looking for ... to face someone who's highly prone to 'injury' defaults,from medical emergencies such as chapped lips,so that she can pick up an easy victory??

Oops

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Stosur, Na, Williams, Del Potro, the rest of the Top 10 are occupied by which continent that forgets athletic competition?There's humanist education for you:lol:.I've no idea what you originally posted and edited but,if you go back and read,I said absolutely NOTHING about the players' mindset(which one would expect to be far different);I commented on the FANS here at TF who,especially Europeans,act like helpless spoiled infants who expect everything to be handed to them in life and have NO CONCEPT of the toughness of athletic competition...as if there were some great tragedy for anyone other than Brie Whitehead to appear in Petra's draw.

I can't even count how many times I've seen neurotic panic such as,'Ohhhh,this draw!:sad::hysteric:' here at TF.Perhaps some so-called sports fans should learn from the players themselves.I'm quite sure that the Brit WC futbol club team wouldn't say,'We drew Spain in our group!Let's quit and go home!:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:'...at least aye HOPE that they wouldn't react that way:lol:

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 01:13 PM
OopsOK,Paul,now there's no excuse for THIS one unless there's some famous theater in Melbourne where they put on classic dramas with a horror theme.It's not to say that Fran isn't a much-better-than-average 1st Round opponent,cuz she certainly is...but we have to keep in mind that our fave is PETRA and not some helpless junior WC in her first MD.Honestly,Fran hasn't gotten in form AT ALL so far this year and,IIRC,she usually takes a while to find her level during the season.In recent years,she has done far better at RG and Wimby--maybe even the USO,too,I just can't recall--than she has at the AO.Quite frankly,she played so poorly in the latter part of last year that I wondered if she was considering retirement.

Of course,you'll cite this post IF,God forbid,Petra lays an egg out there,but let's not forget that Petra has made a SF here and should have the confidence of having beaten this opponent previously...and maybe she'll be motivated to give her favorite mushroom harvester a less-morbid thread title:lol:

steni
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Se dice 'screwed',azucar pompis:kiss:;screw=tornillo pero,de hecho,el modismo proviene de la segunda palabra.

Can you stop with the "azucar pompis" its very annoying!

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Can you stop with the "azucar pompis" its very annoying!Okay,I promise:angel:...is 'chica Petra fanatica' acceptable;)?

hypersonic
Jan 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM

You're right. This is the only way that should strengthen Petra's mental aspects (akin to what Davenport said that 'there are no indoor grand slams and that she needs to tough it out'). It's one case acknowledging what for potential someone possesses but it's another case of realizing it and that's where the mental aspects are significant.

Excelscior
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Petra

Oops

Petra: I play Schiavone in the first round, I practiced with her only yesterday! It's tough match for sure but it's also a great challenge

Praciticing against Schiavone, may prepare Petra to beat Franny (we wish), but it won't have anything to do with beating a Laura Robson (who I think Petra can beat), Sloane Stevens (maybe) or Serena Williams ( :eek: ), who are totally different players, with additional levels of firepower than Schiavone.

Petra better hope she finds form soon, through her matches. :scared: :eek: :scared:

paulmara
Jan 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM
OK,Paul,now there's no excuse for THIS one unless there's some famous theater in Melbourne where they put on classic dramas with a horror theme.

lucky me

Moonlight Cinema: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Melbourne, 7 February 2013

TimeyWimey
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Jon Wertheim

8. Petra Kvitova: One of the WTA's elite talents has been a mystery since winning Wimbledon in 2011. She has the game to win -- dense lefty strokes, improved movement, abundant power -- but the will and focus sometimes lag behind. If it's merely hot outside, Kvitova tends to wilt. If it's so hot that the roof opens and it becomes an indoor event, her prospects improve dramatically.

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:17 PM
You're right. This is the only way that should strengthen Petra's mental aspects (akin to what Davenport said that 'there are no indoor grand slams and that she needs to tough it out'). It's one case acknowledging what for potential someone possesses but it's another case of realizing it and that's where the mental aspects are significant.It's always nice to chat with other posters who appreciate the challenge:hatoff:.I'm in a small minority here as an NFL fan,yet I'll tell you that my favorite team,Baltimore,has a playoff game against a superior Denver squad this Saturday.Our chances of winning are VERY slim,and that means that,with a loss,one of our all-time great players,a future HOF'er,will have his career ended........wouldn't have it ANY other way.In a fantasy world,all the elite teams could forfeit their playoff spot due to some outbreak...and then we could march to a Super Bowl victory by defeating the lousy teams who served as 'lucky losers'....but we'd never be respected as true champions under that scenario,and we would have nothing to be proud about.To really BE the best,you must BEAT the best

In an analogous situation,we could watch Petra rack up an awesome winning% and LOTS of double bagels by playing a bunch of ITF 10 and 25k tourneys...it would quickly ring hollow,though

TennisAddict84
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM
hey guys, i'm back...as I said in the past, 2013 is the year where Petra needs to prove herself...no more excuses...if she does not become an elite player this yr...i'm not sure if she'll ever get there :sad:

obviously her asthma is legit, which I believed flared up again and caused her loss at last yr's USO against Bartoli...BUT if petra got in tip top shape...i honestly believe Petra would be able to manage her conditions better despite how ever humid it is

so again...it comes down to Petra's motivation and how much she wants it, and the sacrifices she's willing to make...i personally feel she needs to be more of a boss off the court and take control of her career

only time will tell...and ultimately...it'll just be very sad for the sport if petra does not fulfill her potential...because she is the ONLY player on the tour right now who can potentially outplay Serena...

don't mean to sound negative, but given her recent form...not really expecting much from Petra at this yr's AO...i think a 4th round result would be surprisingly good

bruce goose
Jan 11th, 2013, 11:09 PM
lucky meDon't know how well Petra can read in English,but she needs to learn......if for no other reason than coming here to check out your posts:worship:

Petronius
Jan 12th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Petra confirms that she had asthma issues in Brisbane and this derailed her a bit mentally - the girl is probably still in 'asthma-adjustment' mode.

Practiced hard with Bartoli, 'excellent training cause Marion hits hard and fast so you've got to be fully focused' and looks forward to AO.

She always steps it up at grandslams, she made the second week in 7 out of the last 8 slams. :D

JarkaFish
Jan 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Good luck. :yeah:

Excelscior
Jan 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Petra confirms that she had asthma issues in Brisbane and this derailed her a bit mentally - the girl is probably still in 'asthma-adjustment' mode.

Practiced hard with Bartoli, 'excellent training cause Marion hits hard and fast so you've got to be fully focused' and looks forward to AO.

She always steps it up at grandslams, she made the second week in 7 out of the last 8 slams. :D

Find a better doctor/s!! :shrug:

Plus, adapt better and/or get used to it (as best as you can/when you can, when it happens). I know it's not always easy. Nontheless, what does this have to do with Sydney, where she was just god awful (or this was the "mental" carry over from Brisbane)? :scratch:

As far as the rest of it (i.e. Australian Open), good luck Petra! :yeah:

Setsuna.
Jan 12th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Djokovic used to have an obvious breathing problem but not anymore. Petra could do the same if she finds a better doctor probably or if she took care of herself very well. I don't know really. :lol:

Petronius
Jan 12th, 2013, 08:31 PM
(or this was the "mental" carry over from Brisbane)? :scratch:

Probably :lol:

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Both sluts and chicks who have dated Aussie males--who are sometimes one and the same;)--are popular down under,where the male fans don't seem too discriminating...if Brie Whitehead slept around with a couple Aussie players,there would probably be a huge following for her where they called her 'Aussie Brie':lol:.....Anyway,despite Petra's language limitations,there was a pair of dudes who invited her on their show within the last few days,and there's a charming pic of Petra:hearts: in that setting on the WTA webpage

TennisAddict84
Jan 13th, 2013, 06:35 AM

I still don't understand why Petra hasn't gotten a full time male hitting partner...

TennisAddict84
Jan 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Djokovic used to have an obvious breathing problem but not anymore. Petra could do the same if she finds a better doctor probably or if she took care of herself very well. I don't know really. :lol:

yeah, I was thinking the same thing...and Azarenka too used to have melt downs in the heat, but now that she's fully fit...she's perfectly fine playing in extremely hot conditions

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Both sluts and chicks who have dated Aussie males--who are sometimes one and the same;)--are popular down under,where the male fans don't seem too discriminating...if Brie Whitehead slept around with a couple Aussie players,there would probably be a huge following for her where they called her 'Aussie Brie':lol:.....Anyway,despite Petra's language limitations,there was a pair of dudes who invited her on their show within the last few days,and there's a charming pic of Petra:hearts: in that setting on the WTA webpageTo add to this,many of you have probably already seen Pat Cash interview Petra on CNN's Open Court.The video on my computer wouldn't play that clip,for some reason,but the audio was just fine and Cash was almost fawning--yet in a dignified way,not like a drooling pervert--in his respect for Petra's ability and future prospects

Excelscior
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:16 PM
To add to this,many of you have probably already seen Pat Cash interview Petra on CNN's Open Court.The video on my computer wouldn't play that clip,for some reason,but the audio was just fine and Cash was almost fawning--yet in a dignified way,not like a drooling pervert--in his respect for Petra's ability and future prospects

Petra's quite charming, in regards to interviews. I don't think she has "language limitations" either. We just keep babying her (in regards to that), like we do with so many other aspects regarding Petra and her tennis. Her English, is no worse than many other foreign players on the tour, who spent very little time in the US. It's this type of thinking (staying in her comfort zone), why Petra's seemingly stuck in her ways, with her results remaining stagnant or even moving backwards.

As far as her talent: We all know/everybody knows Petra's got talent. Shoot, that's the worst ("sshhhh") secret in tennis. :lol: However, that's not good enough anymore. Petra's needs to be in the PRODUCTION stage of her career. Unfortunately, neither Petra nor her handlers, seem ready or equipped for that (and what it entails/requires) at the moment. That's unfortunate, and such a waste (of almost immeasurable talent), as long as the under achievement, mental/tennis unpreparedness, and overall lack of professionalism persist in her career.

Nonetheless, I hope Petra can get hot, get her head on straight and with some luck, make a deep run at the Aussie Open or (good grief :eek: ) even win the damn thing. :shrug:

A deep run or win there, certainly wouldn't take away from Petra's lack of commitment, professionalism, meeting expectations, confidence, etc., but it would sure feel good at the moment (depending on how the run finally ended, of course). :lol: :oh: :lol:

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I say 'language limitations' b/c it's much harder to market someone who stumbles badly over her words and speaks at a simplistic level(an exception would be someone who marketed herself as Anna K. did).This doesn't mean that Petra lacks intelligence;I think it's more a case where she doesn't LIKE or WANT to speak English and the results reflect that

Excelscior
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I say 'language limitations' b/c it's much harder to market someone who stumbles badly over her words and speaks at a simplistic level(an exception would be someone who marketed herself as Anna K. did).This doesn't mean that Petra lacks intelligence;I think it's more a case where she doesn't LIKE or WANT to speak English and the results reflect that

At the risk of getting into a protracted dialogue (which I don't), I kindly disagree Bruce.

The media finds Petra quite charming, and has said repeatedly that they 'like talking to her', and 'she's one of our favorites' to interview'. I repeat, Petra can be quite charming, humorous and profound, during post match pressers. At other times, Petra's TV stints can be worthless or quite charming. Like anyone else; I guess it's when you catch them. :shrug:

Remember, in Dec 2011, Jan 2012, the media was loaded up to make Petra the new Queen of tennis, and Petra burned them (by not winning in early 2012, and eventually much at all), and didn't live up to her portion of the bargain. So they were ready and waiting to market and proclaim her in spades. However, Petra didn't cooperate. :lol: It's funny, how we easily forget that.

Which leads into the other argument: Petra needs to win. Not only does her speaking English or not, has nothing to do with her winning (anywhere in the world). But you need to win to be marketed. Simple as that!

However, I don't don't care about her marketing. That's the least of Petra's issues at the moment. I just want Petra to win, and get on the right track. And right now, Petra's doing a bad job at it.

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 04:17 PM
At the risk of getting into a protracted dialogue (which I don't), I kindly disagree Bruce.

The media finds Petra quite charming, and has said repeatedly that they 'like talking to her', and 'she's one of our favorites' to interview'. I repeat, Petra can be quite charming, humorous and profound, during post match pressers. At other times, Petra's TV stints can be worthless or quite charming. Like anyone else; I guess it's when you catch them. :shrug:Well,Ex,I respectfully say that my knowledge in this specific area is superior to yours because I actually teach English for a living.While it's true that Petra is charming and likable,that's b/c she's very sincere,candid and down-to-earth,personality-wise.

If you evaluate the technical quality of Petra's English,it's mediocre at best.She's not annoying,per se,but it would be quite tedious if you had to listen to her speak English for 20 minutes.If you take slutty Ana,by comparison,she's almost 100% fluent so that makes her easier to market,even when you don't count the cheesy,low-class,eye-candy appeal to casual male tennis fans.However,Petra is FAR more charming than the Serb cuz Petra isn't some fake who's pre-fabricated by a well-designed media hype machine.Even if she NEVER improves her English(and I suspect that she WILL,even if slowly and gradually),she'll still be a very easy player to like on a personal level

Excelscior
Jan 13th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Well,Ex,I respectfully say that my knowledge in this specific area is superior to yours because I actually teach English for a living.While it's true that Petra is charming and likable,that's b/c she's very sincere,candid and down-to-earth,personality-wise.

If you evaluate the technical quality of Petra's English,it's mediocre at best.She's not annoying,per se,but it would be quite tedious if you had to listen to her speak English for 20 minutes.If you take slutty Ana,by comparison,she's almost 100% fluent so that makes her easier to market,even when you don't count the cheesy,low-class,eye-candy appeal to casual male tennis fans.However,Petra is FAR more charming than the Serb cuz Petra isn't some fake who's pre-fabricated by a well-designed media hype machine.Even if she NEVER improves her English(and I suspect that she WILL,even if slowly and gradually),she'll still be a very easy player to like on a personal level

Three questions

1) What does this have to do with Petra winning, and her game? That's our biggest concerns.

2) What does this have to do with the fact that media loves to talk to Petra, and the fact that they had already geared her up to the "Next Coming" or "great one" in tennis? Petra was all the talk during the 2012 Australian Open.

3) What does this have to do with the success or marketing or a Bjorn Borg, Martina Navratilova, Rafael Nadal, Boris Becker, Steffi Graf, (not now), etc, who barely spoke decent English, but were successful, well regarded, well liked and marketed? You gotta produce, give reason. And a explosive, fun to watch, winning tennis game does tbe best talking.

I respect your English teaching skills. However, I think because of that, you're viewing this from too technical a standpoint. If that's the case; Zsa Zsa Gabor (a notoriously poor, but sometimes entertaining English speaker) and others like her, would never had been a talk show Queen/favorite in America; which she was. The media roots for Petra, and wants to market her. We know, because We've heard many of them say this. However, how can they, if/when she's not winning or living up to expectations? If that was the case, people would dislike Rafael Nadal, cause even now, his English is horrible. But no one cares. We all think it's cute or charming. Come on now Bruce. :lol: :shrug: :lol:

And like I said earlier: I couldn't really care less about the marketing and interviews (unless Petra says something dumb or failingly revealing about her game and preparation). I'm more interested in her tennis game (which sucks) at the moment. :eek:

We can just leave it at that. I'll let others argue this, if they like. :lol:

bruce goose
Jan 13th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Fair enough;I hope that Petra's results do the talking for her in a good way;off to watch football now:wavey:

Embittered
Jan 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM
OK,Paul,now there's no excuse for THIS one unless there's some famous theater in Melbourne where they put on classic dramas with a horror theme.Obviously the words "on us" should be taken as read.

paulmara
Jan 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM
http://v.blesk.cz/static/video/151/5/2/1515294360p.mp4

bruce goose
Jan 14th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Obviously the words "on us" should be taken as read.Not really sure of what you're referring to,but enjoy Petra's match tomorrow:hatoff:

paulmara
Jan 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Margaret Court Arena 11:00 AM Start Time

Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) v. Sara Errani (ITA)[7]
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) v. Petra Kvitova (CZE)[8]

TimeyWimey
Jan 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
MCA? hope not too windy tuesday

ShiftyFella
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I was expecting shitfest and hard match. I got it, still can't believe how slow court was, it's looks slower then USO:o

I don't want jump into any conclusion cause it's still early in a season but Petra's game looked really broken, she was right that she needs more real matches to fully adjust to new system, tho i don't liked it

btw, :lol: @ everyone who doubted my gurl just because of tankloss to Domi:p

Hartson
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
it's looks slower then USO:o

Is it a discovery ??:cool: Of course it's slower, than USO..... AO, Miami, Indian Wells - slow hard... Asia and US Open series - fast hard

ShiftyFella
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Is it a discovery ??:cool: Of course it's slower, than USO..... AO, Miami, Indian Wells - slow hard... Asia and US Open series - fast hard
:spit: USO is blue clay not AO usually

netphobia
Jan 15th, 2013, 04:29 AM
it looked waaay too hot :o

Hey, at least she won. Winning a third set :hearts: should give her some confidence going into her next match.

bruce goose
Jan 15th, 2013, 05:03 AM
For all the talk about the match being close,Petra rather comfortably won 6-2 in the 3rd vs a former Slam champ:cool:....Am ALSO glad that Petra forced us to change that dorky thread title by winning:lol:

Losing Streak
Jan 15th, 2013, 05:23 AM
:bounce:

At least, Fran made her hit plenty of balls. :lol: Good practice session.

paulmara
Jan 15th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Petra

About second set „I knew this was the road to hell."
http://sport.idnes.cz/petra-kvitova-tenis-rozhovor-australian-open-prvni-kolo-pz3-/tenis.aspx?c=A130115_072602_tenis_ten

About preseason “My body parts that were weak are stronger, but I play the same old style. It is messed up.“
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis-australian-open/136378/rozhozena-kvitova-jde-v-australii-do-boje-zvykam-si-na-nove-telo.html

Am ALSO glad that Petra forced us to change that dorky thread title by winning:lol:

You will love the next one.

Excelscior
Jan 15th, 2013, 12:10 PM
:bounce:

At least, Fran made her hit plenty of balls. :lol: Good practice session.

Good Point.

Who knows how much Petra would have hit on her off day, if she had won the match 6-2 6-2. :oh:

Excelscior
Jan 15th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Petra

http://sport.idnes.cz/petra-kvitova-tenis-rozhovor-australian-open-prvni-kolo-pz3-/tenis.aspx?c=A130115_072602_tenis_ten

About preseason “My body parts that were weak are stronger, but I play the same old style. It is messed up.“
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis-australian-open/136378/rozhozena-kvitova-jde-v-australii-do-boje-zvykam-si-na-nove-telo.html

You will love the next one.

Going by this quote (I know I should read the article, but I've been on Opera lately, and haven't switched to my Google browser yet), it appears Petra's saying her body is sore or "messed up" but her game is the same.

Obviously, she didn't get the proper rest and/or preparation (regardless of what she's saying) at the end of last season, but this can be a little TMI (but we thank you for the info anyway Petra). :lol:

Why was the second, "the set from hell"? Was it her asthma, (which she discussed after the match regarding that set), Franny's play, or how her body felt during or going into it?

Setsuna.
Jan 15th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Please don't lose to Hypson now.

paulmara
Jan 15th, 2013, 12:44 PM
it appears Petra's saying her body is sore or "messed up"

She is confused.

but her game is the same.

like last year

Why was the second, "the set from hell"? Was it her asthma, (which she discussed after the match regarding that set), Franny's play?

„I stopped playing aggressive. She got into the rhytm. We played longer rallies and I lost my breathe.“

Excelscior
Jan 15th, 2013, 01:03 PM
She is confused.

like last year

„I stopped playing aggressive. She got into the rhytm. We played longer rallies and I lost my breathe.“

I know you can't speak for Petra Paul (and I didn't read the article yet). But how is she "confused" with her tennis swings, unless they tweaked it (which I sure hope not and find hard to believe)? And if her 'game is the same", then how could her strokes be messed up or confusing?

Now, maybe I'm just confused (lol), and she's saying HER GAME or mind is confused on the court? :lol: :shrug: :lol:

Note: I know trying to understand Petra, is not always easy. :lol:

ShiftyFella
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Petra

Even lefties hate playing lefties:lol: and match vs Flopson could be night match, this definitely helps Petra, so do they put her on RLA? It would be interesting

steni
Jan 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Even lefties hate playing lefties:lol: and match vs Flopson could be night match, this definitely helps Petra, so do they put her on RLA? It would be interesting

Did you watch Robson's match against Oudin? I think she played well!

Excelscior
Jan 15th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Though I didn't watch Roebson's match, I'm not worried about Petra playing another lefty. That's usually not an issue for her, if she's anything close to reasonable form.

Petra's good hands, usually alleviate any issue of the ball coming from different angles and spins.

TimeyWimey
Jan 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
^
she lost to Schnyder and Benesova in 09/10, twice to Kerber last year and once to Makarova

she was 5-3 facing lefties in 12 and before that 8-4

paulmara
Jan 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
But how is she "confused" with her tennis swings

She is not talking about swings. „ I´m a little off“ … „The match with Cibulkova was not about hitting but about my head.“