PDA

View Full Version : What's your dream university to study in the US?

Morning Morgan
Dec 14th, 2012, 12:56 AM
The standout of the US education system is the universities, and many people want to come here to get a degree. What is your dream school?

moby
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Columbia.

Nicolás89
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Columbia because I love New York.
Or TUFTS University because their International Relations MA program is one of the bests.

hellas719
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I always wanted to go to Harvard or Stanford. My cousin went to Harvard Law School and I feel stupid around him :sobbing:

August
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Harvard would sound impressive. On the other hand, California, Miami, and Texas are the states I'd like to live in the most so I might want to be in a Uni in those states.

JJ all the way
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:59 AM
dartmouth :)

Barktra
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:23 AM
Yale :drool:

delicatecutter
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:40 AM
UCLA!

Go Bruins!

ptkten
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Harvard would sound impressive. On the other hand, California, Miami, and Texas are the states I'd like to live in the most so I might want to be in a Uni in those states.

Univ. of Texas, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Rice, and Univ. of Miami among others all range from good to elite so you can get the best of both worlds.

I prefer Northeast cities so any of the Ivies that are in major cities: Harvard, Columbia, or Penn would be my top 3. I've long since graduated from college though :lol:

goOudinUSA
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I'm from the south, so Univ. of Georgia! Go Dawgs!

Harvard, Yale, Standford, and Florida, too! :bounce:

hellas719
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:04 AM
^I have a cousin who goes to Georgia Tech and another who went there (the Harvard kid's brother) and they both hate Georgia so much and call them stupid because Georgia Tech is harder to get into. And Georgia Tech always loses to them in sports and they complain so much :lol:

And I'm surprised everyone said Miami. I was going to say Miami also, but I got accepted even though I didn't enroll so I actually had the chance to go and didn't. Of course I would have loved to, but I knew I would be at the beach all day and wouldn't study :o

goOudinUSA
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yea. GT is a tech school and harder to get into. I HATE georgia tech.

DAWG for life...:lol:

Vartan
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:33 AM
Columbia

miffedmax
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Northwestern, U of Chicago and Michigan, the pride of America's heartland.

Inger67
Dec 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM
http://blog.formstack.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/university-of-michigan_logo.jpg

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/ann-arbor-page-university-of-michigan-law-quad-full.jpg

http://students.law.umich.edu/rg/issues/2007/2007_images/IMG_0003.jpg

Go Blue! :rocker2:

It was almost decided to film Harry Potter at our University because our Law School closely resembles Hogwarts :rolls:

The Witch-king
Dec 14th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I do not wish to attend university :(

skanky~skanketta
Dec 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Yale! I wanted to go so desperately back in 2001, but my parents were absolutely against it because it was around the 9/11 time. Not that I will ever know if I could have gotten in of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8Ajk

Fantasy Hero
Dec 14th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I spent a long time doing researches on American Universities, because it was my goal to go and have my Master degree done there, but there's no way I can afford the costs of education they give to foreign students, so I'll stay in the old Europe. :sobbing:
My first choice was the Boston University though

Stamp Paid
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Howard University. One of my biggest regrets is not going to an HBCU as an undergraduate.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Its not in the US, but I am in my dream university and college...the most prestigious college for design, innovation and fashion in the whole world.

SilverPersian
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM
US universities look beautiful.

I would have loved to have done graduate research there, but the programs last so long and I didn't want to spent so much time away from home. Especially liked the look of Chicago, UPenn and Northwestern.

bulava
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
It wasn't a dream for me, but I wanted to go there for some reasons (long story, to cut it short - I wanted to become a Fighter Pilot in the Indian Air Force but my Mom was scared because I'm the only son etc). I won't name schools (maybe seen as flashy). I contributed my part to the US economy in a good way, returned to India after 16+ years of adventure.

Postdoc from a Silicon Valley based Univ - 2007-09
PhD from Cambridge, MA - 2000-04
MS from Cambridge, MA - 1996-98
MS from Pittsburgh, PA - 1994-96

Anyway I achieved it. I got into PA school quite easily because of local school global reputation (4-year UG, Kharagpur), which is India's best and oldest engineering school. Note that Postdoc and PhD were fellowship offers from my former employer.

Certinfy
Dec 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Don't like university and wouldn't really like to study in the US. :o

wild.river
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:23 PM
went to upenn :bounce:

would go to amherst or swarthmore if i could do it again

Super Dave
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I went to Central Michigan :shrug: You just have to go where the best fit is for you, regardless of the name.

Ashi
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:42 PM
It wasn't a dream for me, but I wanted to go there for some reasons (long story, to cut it short - I wanted to become a Fighter Pilot in the Indian Air Force but my Mom was scared because I'm the only son etc). I won't name schools (maybe seen as flashy). I contributed my part to the US economy in a good way, returned to India after 16+ years of adventure.

Anyway I achieved it. I got into PA school quite easily because of local school global reputation (4-year UG, Kharagpur), which is India's best and oldest engineering school. Note that Postdoc and PhD were fellowship offers from my former employer.
Under Graduate from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur?
I'm already feeling less than intelligent.:lol:

My picks would be John Hopkins & UPenn.

Doully
Dec 14th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I appreciate my free tuition in Scotland too much :lol:.

Whichever US uni offers a good translation/interpreting degree I suppose ~ they usually aren't the most prestigious of universities either.

miffedmax
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Go Blue! :rocker2:

It was almost decided to film Harry Potter at our University because our Law School closely resembles Hogwarts :rolls:

Of course, my son would say right continent, wrong country. University of Toronto all the way, where they actually did film the official movie of Tennis Forum, Mean Girls.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3338701408_440ceff9f8.jpg

saint2
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Dream university ? :o:o
TF getting nerdy...

KournikovaFan91
Dec 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Some where that has both a good academic reputation and party atmosphere. Any suggestions???

moby
Dec 14th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Anyway I achieved it. I got into PA school quite easily because of local school global reputation (4-year UG, Kharagpur), which is India's best and oldest engineering school. Note that Postdoc and PhD were fellowship offers from my former employer.I won't name schools, however I will tell you I won't name them and instead drop such strong hints that said schools can essentially be narrowed down to a list of around one or two. :D

Pump-it-UP
Dec 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I spent a long time doing researches on American Universities, because it was my goal to go and have my Master degree done there, but there's no way I can afford the costs of education they give to foreign students, so I'll stay in the old Europe. :sobbing:
My first choice was the Boston University though

:yeah: I study there now. :angel:

My dream school was always Columbia though.

Vartan
Dec 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
:lol:

Morning Morgan
Dec 14th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Postdoc from a Silicon Valley based Univ - 2007-09 Stanford
PhD from Cambridge, MA - 2000-04 MIT/Harvard
MS from Cambridge, MA - 1996-98 MIT/Harvard
MS from Pittsburgh, PA - 1994-96 Carnegie Mellon

So much for not namedropping. :lol: At the very least don't give the city of your universities if you really didn't want to name drop.

cowsonice
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I'm surprised how many people name Columbia as their dream university. It's not as popular as Harvard or Yale in the US.

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:28 AM
^That's because most of us are past actual college-going age, and just want to live in NYC.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I won't name schools, however I will tell you I won't name them and instead drop such strong hints that said schools can essentially be narrowed down to a list of around one or two. :D

That false modesty is so annoying. If one more person tells me they're going to school in the Boston area, I'm going to name off every community college and for-profit university from Providence RI to Manchester NH before I give them the satisfaction of hearing me say Harvard or MIT.

My dreamschools(for my speciality) are Stanford and UC-Berkeley, maybe also Harvard. Unfortunately, at this stage I think they're all pipe dreams.

Morning Morgan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:38 AM
That false modesty is so annoying. If one more person tells me they're going to school in the Boston area, I'm going to name off every community college and for-profit university from Providence RI to Manchester NH before I give them the satisfaction of hearing me say Harvard or MIT.

My dreamschools(for my speciality) are Stanford and UC-Berkeley, maybe also Harvard. Unfortunately, at this stage I think they're all pipe dreams.

What field are you looking at?

miffedmax
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:40 AM
One of my son's best friends is at his dream school in Boston.

Berklee rocks.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:40 AM
So much for not namedropping. :lol: At the very least don't give the city of your universities if you really didn't want to name drop.

Isn't Tufts in Cambridge too? It would be funny if it were UofPittsburgh, Tufts, Tufts and San Jose. It's like those people who generically say they graduated from an Ivy without naming it. It's always Cornell or Brown.

Vartan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Cornell is harder to get into than Columbia.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
What field are you looking at?

Human centred product design. Stanford has an excellent program and ties with the D-school, Berkeley has a similar program, Harvard has a great DDS program at their school of design.

wild.river
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:44 AM

yeah, being "embarrassed" of naming harvard or princeton is the height of arrogance.

as if people will immediately be awash in a mix of awe and envy. get over yourselves.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Cornell is harder to get into than Columbia.

I should have clarified that, I meant for liberal arts. Cornell's the better technical school obviously.

Morning Morgan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Isn't Tufts in Cambridge too? It would be funny if it were UofPittsburgh, Tufts, Tufts and San Jose. It's like those people who generically say they graduated from an Ivy without naming it. It's always Cornell or Brown.

Lol you just dissed me, I graduated from Cornell. :lol: But I always say Cornell instead of Ivy, Cornell rockz!!

And Tufts is in Medford actually. The only schools in Cambridge are MIT and Harvard.

Vartan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I love its campus but I can't imagine myself leaving the city.

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Human centred product design. Stanford has an excellent program and ties with the D-school, Berkeley has a similar program, Harvard has a great DDS program at their school of design.If you're hot, you should consider UChicago.

ToopsTame
Lol you just dissed me, I graduated from Cornell. :lol: But I always say Cornell instead of Ivy, Cornell rockz!!

And Tufts is in Medford actually. The only schools in Cambridge are MIT and Harvard.

My bad. I'm going to a second tier school so I'm in no position to talk. :lol:

Morning Morgan
ToopsTame be careful, moby is a very aggressive slut. :oh:

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:52 AM
If you're hot, you should consider UChicago.

What's at UofC?

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:53 AM
What's at UofC?Me.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Me.

And what degree do you offer?

Morning Morgan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Degree in Triple Penetration :oh:

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Degree in Triple Penetration :oh:You're nasty. :tape:

And what degree do you offer?Human centered product... design, of course.

Morning Morgan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I'm just quoting your CV.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Well, I never :tape:

UofC unfortunately isn't on my list of "schools I'd sleep with someone to get into." I don't know of their work in my area.

Included are Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard (as before) and RISD, Yale, Columbia. I could also be persuaded to exchange favors for Georgia Tech but it'll take a lot of convincing.

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Well, I never :tape:

UofC unfortunately isn't on my list of "schools I'd sleep with someone to get into." I don't know of their work in my area.

Included are Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard (as before) and RISD, Yale, Columbia. I could also be persuaded to exchange favors for Georgia Tech but it'll take a lot of convincing.There are many schools I wouldn't sleep with someone to get into, but far fewer I wouldn't get into to sleep with someone. :angel: Which is more relevant to the discussion.

ToopsTame
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:14 AM
There are many schools I wouldn't sleep with someone to get into, but far fewer I wouldn't get into to sleep with someone. :angel: Which is more relevant to the discussion.

Speaking as a impecunious and exhausted student, unless he's got LTR potential and a promising career that he can support me with, I ain't taking the jump.

moby
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
That is a good point.

Rocketta
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I went to my dream school, that would be any school I was able to graduate from. :shrug:

In high school I wanted to go to UVa but it was out of state and my mom wasn't having it like she was going to pay for anything. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm definitely over that... now all I care about is the quality of the degree and the price of the tuition which means state supported schools or community college post-graduate certificates all the way! :bounce:

mckyle.
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:26 AM
ITT Tech

Vartan
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Greendale Community College, GO Human Beings :cheer:

Nicolás89
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:59 AM

YES! :D

Otlichno
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM
In the US, Boston University no doubt. Most of my friends study there, and I went to visit and it was awesome. :D

wild.river
Dec 15th, 2012, 12:55 PM

i love you

.Andrew.
Dec 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
went to upenn :bounce:

would go to amherst or swarthmore if i could do it again

I'm currently a student at Penn! :)

If I could do it again, Swarthmore would be on my short list too. Also really loved Harvard, Brown, Georgetown, and Boston College.

wild.river
Dec 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I'm currently a student at Penn! :)

If I could do it again, Swarthmore would be on my short list too. Also really loved Harvard, Brown, Georgetown, and Boston College.

:yeah: what year?
i was back for homecoming in october. miss it a lot.

miffedmax
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM

If you'd gone to Brookhaven CC in the mid '90s, you could have taken classes from me.

Vartan
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Who said you need to go to a college to learn from Professor Miffed?

miffedmax
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:29 PM
It's true. I should charge for my gems of wisdom.

Wiggly
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Yale, Columbia or Berkeley.

gulzhan
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Harvard for me :o I went there in September, just to see it, walk around and pretend I was a student there. It felt so right! :lol:

Yale for my daughter though. We still to make the tour there but I am sure it'd be her school. Her dream is the Yale Drama School :tape: Well, we talk about dreams here, right? ;)

Barrie_Dude
Dec 15th, 2012, 07:25 PM
University of Texas has a very nice engineering program in Austin. And I think that Baylor and SMU have a nice medical program in Dallas

Barrie_Dude
Dec 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I went to University of South Carolina. However, if I could go back, I would love to go to Duke and pursue a degree in Law. I think Duke is as close to an Ivy League institution as they have in the South (North Carolina) but it ios very expensive. I would have chossen to go and live in Dallas

WowWow
Dec 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
NY Film Academy and MIT.

Novichok
Dec 15th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Harvard>NYU>=Columbia>>>>UChicago for law school.

McPie
Dec 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/south_harmon_institute_of_technology_accepted_post card-p239095831410777416envli_400.jpg

:lol:

Drake1980
Dec 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Tulane or uab