PDA

View Full Version : South Asia

Sam L
Dec 8th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Copycat thread. For the purposes of this thread, I'll take a liberal approach and include all regions of "Greater" South Asia including Iran to the west, Burma to the east, Afghanistan/Tibet to the north and everything in between.

Let's talk about the languages (Sanskrit/Pali and others), cuisine (my favourites falooda and dosa and anything else Indian/vegetarian), culture (Bollywood), art and literature (who's read Mahabharata/Ramayana?), history (Achaemenids/Mauryans/Guptas), religions (Hinduism/Buddhism/Jainism/Sikhism/Zoroastrianism) of this region. And politics and anything else we want to talk about. And also travel. I haven't been to a lot of these places and would love to go there.

For now I'll leave you with a picture of Varanasi, as put by Mark Twain: "... older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put together."

http://rajputrita.webs.com/Varanasi.jpg

Ashi
Dec 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Good thread. ;) I'm game.

I'm pretty woeful at history. :o Always got good grades, but I don't seem to remember a lot of Ancient Indian History because even being Indian it was the toughest to remember.

Not that I've travelled extensively in India, I've seen most cities in Rajasthan, Kerala & Tamil Nadu. A bit of Karnataka & Maharashtra.

Amongst temples, the Dilwara Jain Temples in Mount Abu, Rajasthan are a highlight IMO.

Sam L
Dec 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Good thread. ;) I'm game.

I'm pretty woeful at history. :o Always got good grades, but I don't seem to remember a lot of Ancient Indian History because even being Indian it was the toughest to remember.

Not that I've travelled extensively in India, I've seen most cities in Rajasthan, Kerala & Tamil Nadu. A bit of Karnataka & Maharashtra.

Amongst temples, the Dilwara Jain Temples in Mount Abu, Rajasthan are a highlight IMO.

Not sure how popular it's going to be but we'll see I guess.

Ancient Indian history is so complex especially given how quite divided the Subcontinent is at most periods of history. I have a fairly good understanding of the Northern Indian dynasties/history but not so the southern ones.

I would love to read Mahavamsa also. Anyone game to enter into this discussion?

That's quite a lot. A lot more than what I've been to. :lol: I would love to go to the Ellora caves in Maharashtra. I'm aiming maybe around this time next year to do India/Nepal/Sri Lanka at the very least.

Sammo
Dec 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Would Indonesia qualify as South Asia? Or just South-East Asia?

Sam L
Dec 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Would Indonesia qualify as South Asia? Or just South-East Asia?
No. There's heavy influence from India historically (sphere of influence) but probably not the since the coming of Islam there and geographically definitely no, unlike say Burma or Tibet.

You can start your own South East Asia thread with McPie. :p

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Not sure how popular it's going to be but we'll see I guess.

Ancient Indian history is so complex especially given how quite divided the Subcontinent is at most periods of history. I have a fairly good understanding of the Northern Indian dynasties/history but not so the southern ones.

I would love to read Mahavamsa also. Anyone game to enter into this discussion?

That's quite a lot. A lot more than what I've been to. :lol: I would love to go to the Ellora caves in Maharashtra. I'm aiming maybe around this time next year to do India/Nepal/Sri Lanka at the very least.
I haven't been to the Ellora caves, but my dad has. :)
Are you Indian? Where have you visited in India?
I'd love to visit Rishikesh, Leh & Ladakh in Kashmir.

Expat
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Bollywood isn't cultural at all.
Anyway South Asia can't be discussed without the biggest religion in South Asia probably now itself and most definitely in the future: Islam and its impact on South Asians. So I am not sure why Indonesia can't be included.

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Anyway South Asia can't be discussed without the biggest religion in South Asia probably now itself and most definitely in the future: Islam and its impact on South Asians. So I am not sure why Indonesia can't be included.
Party pooper. For a Mumbaikar, there is no other culture than Bollywood. :lol:

Although you'd have to be real careful about what films to recommend in order to imbibe the reality. Becuase 'real' doesn't always work at the box office.

Yes, Bollywood is not as influencial in the South. Regional cinema rules in Andra Pradesh, Bengal, Tamil Nadu & Karnataka.

Rajnikant & Kamal Hasan are bigger, badder than the Big B Bachchan. There's always going to be tussle about whether Hindi is as important to South Indians as to the rest of India.

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
bollywood died the moment they started making films for the westerners......which is around 2003 or so......most of the bollywood films these days = heavily western influenced crap......

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM
i genuinely dislike categorizing hindusthan(india) under asia......

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Copycat thread. For the purposes of this thread, I'll take a liberal approach and include all regions of "Greater" South Asia including Iran to the west, Burma to the east, Afghanistan/Tibet to the north and everything in between.

Let's talk about the languages (Sanskrit/Pali and others), cuisine (my favourites falooda and dosa and anything else Indian/vegetarian), culture (Bollywood), art and literature (who's read Mahabharata/Ramayana?), history (Achaemenids/Mauryans/Guptas), religions (Hinduism/Buddhism/Jainism/Sikhism/Zoroastrianism) of this region. And politics and anything else we want to talk about. And also travel. I haven't been to a lot of these places and would love to go there.

For now I'll leave you with a picture of Varanasi, as put by Mark Twain: "... older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put together."

http://rajputrita.webs.com/Varanasi.jpg

i am willing to bet that most indians aren't even aware of half of what some of the westerners know about india and its rich historical heritage......

but at the same time, i don't blame anybody for that......it is only natural that you get attracted to something outside rather than being fascinated to what you already have with you......

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 07:27 AM
i genuinely dislike categorizing hindusthan(india) under asia......
Why so?
It's Bharat now, not Hindustan.:p

Sam L
Dec 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I haven't been to the Ellora caves, but my dad has. :)
Are you Indian? Where have you visited in India?
I'd love to visit Rishikesh, Leh & Ladakh in Kashmir.

i am willing to bet that most indians aren't even aware of half of what some of the westerners know about india and its rich historical heritage......

but at the same time, i don't blame anybody for that......it is only natural that you get attracted to something outside rather than being fascinated to what you already have with you......

I'm not Indian but I'm not exactly a stranger to this region. See my rep. ;)

Indonesia is not South Asia by any definition. By that logic, you might as well include Saudi Arabia. You can talk about Islam, if you want. :shrug: I don't know much about it and personally, there are many other things about South Asia to talk about other than Islam.

bulava
Dec 9th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Then I would suggest you to start from this one:

Satavahana Empire held for more than 400 hundred years. Lot of information is there on Wiki. Example, look at the work/skill from 1st Century BCE:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/AndhraPradeshRoyalHearings1stCenturyBCE.jpg/547px-AndhraPradeshRoyalHearings1stCenturyBCE.jpg

Many from the present generation in India don't have a clue about them.

bulava
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:04 PM
It's nothing wrong if people tend to get attracted from the outside world. Key is to balance, never forget the roots. We need to know/learn from all parts of the world. But people tend to (mis)understand when we say world then it should be Western countries, thanks to globalization. That's quite incorrect. If one goes to Japan, China, Israel etc he/she could learn many fascinating things...whatever maybe the region/country if one tries to absorb/apply the good and leave the bad, that should suffice :)

Mynarco
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Bollywood is GOAT. Haters stay pressed. I can watch Om Shanti Om 20 times and not feel bored

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Bollywood is GOAT. Haters stay pressed. I can watch Om Shanti Om 20 times and not feel bored
Are you Chrono? ;)

Mynarco
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Are you Chrono? ;)

Yup.

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:58 PM
So did you watch Jab Tak Hai Jaan? ;)

Mynarco
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
So did you watch Jab Tak Hai Jaan? ;)

Last Yash Chopra (RIP:sad:) work? Nope I cannot find one in Hong Kong showing this. Gotta wait for pirate DVD releases :spit: I missed Talaash :o

I did watch Kahaani though :oh:

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Kahaani & Talash both got good reviews.

wild.river
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Kahaani & Talash both got good reviews.

bob biswas gave me nightmares :scared::tears:

BARBIE
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, Bollywood is not as influencial in the South. Regional cinema rules in Andra Pradesh, Bengal, Tamil Nadu & Karnataka.

Ashi, you are saying as if Bollywood doesn't rule in West Bengal :lol: Believe me, Bollywood does rule in West Bengal ;) But regional cinema also rules in Bengal :cool:

BARBIE
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Then I would suggest you to start from this one:

Satavahana Empire held for more than 400 hundred years. Lot of information is there on Wiki.

Many from the present generation in India don't have a clue about them.

I know about some of the South Indian empires/kingdoms/dynasties e.g. the Chola dynasty and the Vijaynagar Empire :)

I can never forget them because I had to learn so much about them in history in school :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Ashi, you are saying as if Bollywood doesn't rule in West Bengal :lol: Believe me, Bollywood does rule in West Bengal ;) But regional cinema also rules in Bengal :cool:
I didn't exactly mean that. Regional cinema in these states is thriving as say in comparsion to Maharashtra.

BARBIE
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I didn't exactly mean that. Regional cinema in these states is thriving as say in comparsion to Maharashtra.

Ah yes, you are right :)

fantic
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM

That's the gift of the West to the world I guess. Limitless curiosity and dogged intellectual pursuit..gotta hand it to them.

Curry is pretty popular in Korea :lol:

Of Indian history, read a fascinating acct of Mugul Empire and recent history around the 20th century.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NRAQF4GZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51REp1HYMXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I recommend William Dalrymple's works, pretty engaging.

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Ashoka, Aurangzeb, Akbar, Tuglaq, Chandragupta Mauraya. All of these names I remember but not the context. :hysteric:

Ashoka's change from ruthlessness to benevolence.

Akbar's zil-e-ilahi & ultimate decline.

Tuglaq shifting capitals from Delhi to Daulatabad.

Shivaji's guerilla warfare against the Moghuls.

I remember bits and pieces. I have to go back to school history. :o

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Why so?
It's Bharat now, not Hindustan.:p

yeah bharat is fine too......jab zero diya mere bharat ne, bharat ne mere bharat ne......duniya ko tab ginti aayi......

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
That's the gift of the West to the world I guess. Limitless curiosity and dogged intellectual pursuit..gotta hand it to them.

Curry is pretty popular in Korea :lol:

Of Indian history, read a fascinating acct of Mugul Empire and recent history around the 20th century.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NRAQF4GZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51REp1HYMXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I recommend William Dalrymple's works, pretty engaging.
His book on Delhi called 'City of the Djinns' is a pretty good read as well or so I've heard.

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I'm not Indian but I'm not exactly a stranger to this region. See my rep. ;)

seen your rep.....check your pm......

Ashi
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I still remember an interview with random people on the telly for reactions to the rise of tennis player Sania Mirza.
One teacher when asked if he'd ever heard of Sania Mirza, he said "why yes, isn't she Mirza Ghalib's great grand daughter?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start da Game
Dec 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM
^^ good one that.....media stumping themselves......

fantic
Dec 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM
His book on Delhi called 'City of the Djinns' is a pretty good read as well or so I've heard.

Yup, haven't read that one though.

A different region but his

From the Holy Mountain: A Journey in the Shadow of Byzantium by William Dalrymple (May 5, 1998)

is also very informative.

*JR*
Dec 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I still remember an interview with random people on the telly for reactions to the rise of tennis player Sania Mirza. One teacher when asked if he'd ever heard of Sania Mirza, he said "why yes, isn't she Mirza Ghalib's great grand daughter?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe she's a secret descendant of the Contessa's late juniors coach. :scratch:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=283075

bulava
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I would love to go to the Ellora caves in Maharashtra. I'm aiming maybe around this time next year to do India/Nepal/Sri Lanka at the very least.
You won't be disappointed if you visit Ajanta, Ellora, Kajuraho, Konark etc. Amarnath (Kashmir) caves is my favorite in the Himalayan journey.

If you're looking at South (East Coast), then visit Borra Caves and Araku Valley. Also Kailasagiri. They offer one of most stunning scenic beauties in India. If you are a back waters/mangrove forest/bird lover, then you could visit Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary close to Kakinada. There is a lot to visit on the East Coast and its beaches (much cleaner compared to many big cities). These places should be on Wiki (not sure).

One experience. I showed this snap to many contacts (foreigners and Indians). They didn't believe such a thing exist in India! Mostly it's not their fault because people are kept under constant brain washing by sticking India means it's only a poor country etc! Since then many British and other European employees have started changing their outlook about India :p
http://i47.tinypic.com/sf9jc7.jpg

bulava
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I know about some of the South Indian empires/kingdoms/dynasties e.g. the Chola dynasty and the Vijaynagar Empire :)

I can never forget them because I had to learn so much about them in history in school :hysteric: :hysteric: :hysteric:
Of course one can't remember everything :) Vijayanagara Empire is quite interesting to learn because its influence spans multiple states. Their architecture and designs are very rich be it Lepakshi, Hampi etc

OP: check those places on Wiki

Main problems like lackluster Govt. initiatives to educate/promote our history, importantly our people don't really care much about them (to visit) result in people to forget the past! If you look at France/Italy/Spain/UK etc they preserve their historical monuments but here politicians are busy eating money and enjoying power in the name of religion, caste, regions and what not.

~{X}~
Dec 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The culture and art from this part of the world isn't something I am entirely familiar with but I will definitely check it out the next time I am at the Met Museum in NYC. ;)

I probably should know more about it since many of the men I date/sleep with are South Asian aka Indian, Sri Lankan, etc. :lol:

Start da Game
Dec 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
yeah great places all those.......i went to mahanandi once......there is a small water body in the center of the temple to take the holy bath......interesting thing is it's very difficult to find out where the water is flowing from and it flows through out the year uninterruptedly......the water is so clear that even a needle at the bottom is visible......

ajantha and ellora are amazing as well......the caves are very big and only get darker as you go inside......you would be amazed every single time the lantern light falls on the walls of the cave and a new carving is unveiled to you......not sure if they enhanced the lighting in the recent times, i visited it in 1993 as a kid......

Sam L
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Ashoka, Aurangzeb, Akbar, Tuglaq, Chandragupta Mauraya. All of these names I remember but not the context. :hysteric:

Ashoka's change from ruthlessness to benevolence.

Akbar's zil-e-ilahi & ultimate decline.

Tuglaq shifting capitals from Delhi to Daulatabad.

Shivaji's guerilla warfare against the Moghuls.

I remember bits and pieces. I have to go back to school history. :o

I think it's too broad Indian history. I try to concentrate my studies to specific areas of interest. The Gupta dynasty is very interesting. It was truly the Golden Age of India.

You won't be disappointed if you visit Ajanta, Ellora, Kajuraho, Konark etc. Amarnath (Kashmir) caves is my favorite in the Himalayan journey.

If you're looking at South (East Coast), then visit Borra Caves and Araku Valley. Also Kailasagiri. They offer one of most stunning scenic beauties in India. If you are a back waters/mangrove forest/bird lover, then you could visit Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary close to Kakinada. There is a lot to visit on the East Coast and its beaches (much cleaner compared to many big cities). These places should be on Wiki (not sure).

One experience. I showed this snap to many contacts (foreigners and Indians). They didn't believe such a thing exist in India! Mostly it's not their fault because people are kept under constant brain washing by sticking India means it's only a poor country etc! Since then many British and other European employees have started changing their outlook about India :p
http://i47.tinypic.com/sf9jc7.jpg

Thanks all these places look amazing.

Ashi
Dec 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I think it's too broad Indian history. I try to concentrate my studies to specific areas of interest. The Gupta dynasty is very interesting. It was truly the Golden Age of India.
Yeah, those are just a few bits and pieces we learnt at school.
I've always wanted to visit here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda
But travelling in Bihar is always a bit iffy. I've never been there though.