PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever published a poem/essay/article in public magazines/newspapers/journals?

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
It was a dream for me to be a writer when I was a kid:awww:But I have achieved nothing in writing,except some little poems in our uni. journals and local newspapers.:(:(

The Witch-king
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah

Can you post it here?;)

The Witch-king
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Can you post it here?;)

Hell no :lol:

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Why?Since it's already public;)

The Witch-king
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Why?Since it's already public;)

I don't want people here attributing it to me. :wavey:

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM
There's nothing 'hard to say' about this question...unless you've submitted it but it hasn't been approved yet :oh:.

Oh no then the answer would still be no :hug:.

Sam L
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I am working on a narrative poem at the moment. But I'll never want it published in a magazine, newspaper or journal? :confused: I'll never write an essay or article.

I'll shoot myself if I have to become one of those people who write those academic journals.

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 08:50 AM
why?

Sammo
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Does my high school's magazine count? :lol:

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I think yes! Have you received some payment from your H school?:hug:

Gagsquet
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I am thinking about writing a novel. I shoot for Nobel prize around 2040.
My biggest inspiration is Camus.

Lin Lin
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I wish you can do it!:hug:

Sam L
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
why?

If you're asking me, it's just not me. I write for fun and for myself. A lot of what I write may not appeal to a modern audience anyway.

Go for it! :yeah:

Princess Fiona
Dec 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Yes, I have had some reviews published in a local newspaper. I've also written things like obituaries (it was such a long time ago I just had to check the spelling of the word!) for a(nother) local newspaper.

(This was all a long time ago: it was in the 1990s! I had something of a part-time job at one of these places so I can't put it down to my amazing language prowess or anything ;) *sniff* )

(And I am so embarrassed by one of these reviews: it was scathing, so horrible! I am a much nicer person now: no longer "Angry Young Female"!) (More "Easily Irritated Older Female" ;) - aaargh...)

Good luck to you :)

wta_zuperfann
Dec 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've published just a handful of articles on tax accounting and sports (mostly baseball). No real surprise considering I worked in taxation and played/coached baseball for many years.

Super Dave
Dec 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
No...but I've had at least 5 "letters to the editor" published; all back in the day. I don't bother anymore.

King Halep
Dec 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I wrote some team profiles for a Liverpool website

Fantasy Hero
Dec 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I had a couple of articles published on local newspapers...would like to send some of my poems, but I fear I was born in the wrong age, none cares of poetry nowadays

miffedmax
Dec 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM
About a half dozen fantasy and science fiction short stories and a few essays, plus more ads and commercials than you can shake a stick at.

Which is not surprising, since I work in advertising and have for many, many years. Of course, all my writerly friends and my brother have written books and stuff.

They are literary
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/004/cache/african-lion-male_436_600x450.jpg

or at least literary
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Leopard_africa.jpg/220px-Leopard_africa.jpg

They let me hang out with them and critique their work, so I guess I'm a literary
http://felixgilman.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/kitten.jpg

Lin Lin
Dec 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I had a couple of articles published on local newspapers...would like to send some of my poems, but I fear I was born in the wrong age, none cares of poetry nowadays

Post your poems here please;)
I love poem:awww:

Fantasy Hero
Dec 8th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Post your poems here please;)
I love poem:awww:

those are very personal, I posted already some of them for some friends here in the forum anw

The Witch-king
Dec 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
those are very personal, I posted already some of them for some friends here in the forum anw

And yet you wanted to have them published in newspapers :unsure:

Fantasy Hero
Dec 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
And yet you wanted to have them published in newspapers :unsure:

not in a newspaper and I would submit them anonymously ;) or under a pseudonym...and by personal I mean that they deal with deep feelings and such, still I don't want people to associate them with me

The Witch-king
Dec 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gotcha ;)

saul1333
Dec 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Best I did was research findings put on a wall.

Barrie_Dude
Dec 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Yes, published internationally in proffesional journals

Lin Lin
Dec 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Phil:worship::worship:

bulava
Dec 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
No in terms of writing poems, essays etc on Public domain.

But loads of professional articles, papers, and numerous patent applications filed for designs and processes (IP). Most common pro. domains are IEEE, Computer Society, Pharmaceuticals etc

Yoncé
Dec 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I've had few things published thanks to my year 8 and 10 English teacher entering us into competitions so I've had a poem published and a short story type thing.

Nicolás89
Dec 9th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I don't want people here attributing it to me. :wavey:

:spit:

My answer, hard to say. :awww:

The Witch-king
Dec 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
:spit:
What?

My answer, hard to say. :awww:
:lol: Girl, there's no shame

edificio
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Yes. Poetry/articles.

Lin Lin
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:42 AM
:yeah:

Would someone please post some poems or articles herre?:awww:

skanky~skanketta
Dec 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I work in PR, so yes. I get them out in papers ALL the time.

stromatolite
Dec 11th, 2012, 08:12 AM
My work in social/economic research requires me to publish on a regular basis, mainly very dry reports, with an occasional (only slightly less dry) paper in an academic journal. Rest assured nothing that anybody here would want to read:oh:

I'd love to write actual prose, but after several abortive attempts in that direction I have to admit I have absolutely no talent for it.:bigcry:

SilverPersian
Dec 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
^My new guess is behavioural economist.

I have got an article accepted for publication from my masters research. Not posting it in here though :lol:

stromatolite
Dec 11th, 2012, 09:31 AM
^My new guess is behavioural economist.

I have got an article accepted for publication from my masters research. Not posting it in here though :lol:

I wish my work was that interesting, but no. A few of my colleagues are doing that kind of stuff though.

Congrats on your article:yeah:

Lin Lin
Dec 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Good for you guys:yeah:

Gagsquet
Dec 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
potato :yeah: