PDA

View Full Version : Cities with the world's best quality of living - Mercer Quality of Living Index 2012

ViennaCalling
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:17 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/04/business/global-city-quality-life/index.html?iref=allsearch

According to Mercer's 2012 Quality of Living Index Vienna is the best place on planet to live for the 4th year in a row :speakles:

8 cities in the Top 10 are European cities :eek:

Sam L
Dec 4th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Let me put it this way, I'd never live in New Zealand no matter how good the quality of life there is.

Sydney is way overrated. I would rather live in Paris or a smaller Italian city.

matthias
Dec 4th, 2012, 08:36 PM
wow - so many cities from Germany/Switzerland/Austria in the top10 :cheer:

ce
Dec 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Vienna :hearts:

Julian.
Dec 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Wow Honolulu, Hawaii is actually the city with the best quality of living in the US :speakles::worship:

azdaja
Dec 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
vienna is definitely a great and probably the place to live. the only big problem is the weather in the cold part of the year. it's been grey beyond redemption over past couple of weeks :facepalm:

the positive side is, the quality of life is so good that you earn enough money to go to sunny places for a week or 2 in the winter :p

ptkten
Dec 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Wow Honolulu, Hawaii is actually the city with the best quality of living in the US :speakles::worship:

Other than the weather, I highly doubt the vast majority of Americans would want to live in Honolulu. It's remote, extraordinarily expensive, and has extreme disparity between rich and poor. I don't know what the criteria are because I don't even think Honolulu has good public transportation which in my opinion is almost a prerequisite for a livable city. Hawaii does have a pretty good health system though.

Julian.
Dec 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Other than the weather, I highly doubt the vast majority of Americans would want to live in Honolulu. It's remote, extraordinarily expensive, and has extreme disparity between rich and poor. I don't know what the criteria are because I don't even think Honolulu has good public transportation which in my opinion is almost a prerequisite for a livable city. Hawaii does have a pretty good health system though.

Exactly why I'm surprised Honolulu is #1 US city in that list :lol:

Wiggly
Dec 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Vancouver is a nice place to visit but must be hell on Earth is you aren't wealthy.

I woud rather live in Melbourne rather than Sydney.
Still both cities are hours away from anything else.

KournikovaFan91
Dec 4th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Auckland - my second home :hearts: I really miss Pizza Shapes, L&P, Perkynanas, good sushi, free entry to nightclubs, Giapo's ice cream Queen St, and warmer weather :sobbing:

Was in Sydney and since I don't have the body of an adonis I felt so self-conscious, if you aren't hot don't borher trying to live there it must kill people's self-confidence. Plus its expensive too.

wild.river
Dec 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
i wonder what nyc is...probably 50-60. i bet we'd move up 20 slots if people started discarding their trash in back alleys instead of front streets.

KournikovaFan91
Dec 5th, 2012, 12:04 AM
OMG Belfast worst in Western Europe :lol: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Even Glasgow must have beaten it :oh:

Pops Maellard
Dec 5th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Auckland - my second home :hearts: I really miss Pizza Shapes, L&P, Perkynanas, good sushi, free entry to nightclubs, Giapo's ice cream Queen St, and warmer weather :sobbing:

Was in Sydney and since I don't have the body of an adonis I felt so self-conscious, if you aren't hot don't borher trying to live there it must kill people's self-confidence. Plus its expensive too.
Auckland 3rd :hearts:.

I'm not sure if I agree though...do these lists know about NZs horrible murder and child-abuse per capita rate? :o

Lin Lin
Dec 5th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Where to see the full list?:)

wild.river
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM
1. Vienna, Austria
2. Zurich, Switzerland
3. Auckland, New Zealand
4. Munich, Germany
5. Vancouver, Canada*
6. Düsseldorf, Germany
7. Frankfurt, Germany
8. Geneva, Switzerland
9. Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Bern, Switzerland

*unless they lose a hockey game

cellophane
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Vancouver is nice to live in if you have money. It shouldn't be on the list, even though I'd love to live there, but quality of living should taken into account cost of living, which is skyhigh there.

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM
i wonder what nyc is...probably 50-60. i bet we'd move up 20 slots if people started discarding their trash in back alleys instead of front streets.

Who cares though? The people who do live here, love it here!

The Witch-king
Dec 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Baghdad stay losing :facepaln:

SilverSlam
Dec 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
:woohoo: No.21 :hysteric:

wild.river
Dec 5th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Who cares though? The people who do live here, love it here!

i was too harsh; nyc is 44 :lol:

Rank City
1 Vienna
2 Zurich
3 Auckland
4 Munich
5 Vancouver
6 Düsseldorf
7 Frankfurt
8 Geneva
9 Copenhagen
10 Bern
10 Sydney
12 Amsterdam
13 Wellington
14 Ottawa
15 Toronto
16 Berlin
17 Hamburg
17 Melbourne
19 Luxembourg
19 Stockholm
21 Perth
22 Brussels
23 Montreal
24 Nurnberg
25 Singapore
26 Canberra
27 Stuttgart
28 Honolulu, HI
29 Adelaide
29 Paris
29 San Francisco, CA
32 Calgary
32 Helsinki
32 Oslo
35 Boston, MA
35 Dublin
37 Brisbane
38 London
39 Lyon
40 Barcelona
41 Milan
42 Chicago, IL
43 Washington, DC
44 Lisbon
44 New York City, NY
44 Seattle, WA
44 Tokyo
48 Kobe
49 Madrid
49 Pittsburgh, PA
49 Yokohama
50 Seoul

GoofyDuck
Dec 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Amsterdam 12, wowo.

Patrick345
Dec 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
1. Vienna, Austria
2. Zurich, Switzerland
3. Auckland, New Zealand
4. Munich, Germany
5. Vancouver, Canada*
6. Düsseldorf, Germany
7. Frankfurt, Germany
8. Geneva, Switzerland
9. Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Bern, Switzerland

*unless they lose a hockey game

:lol:

48.Kobe, United States

http://bilder.augsburger-allgemeine.de/img/18890566-1329818760000/topTeaser_crop_Kobe-Bryant-von-den-Los-Angeles-Lakers-ist-bester-aktiver-Werfer.-Foto-Paul-Buck.jpg

moby
Dec 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
What is the rubric?

KournikovaFan91
Dec 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Dublin 35 not too bad I guess :) Personally I wish it was a bit cheaper here with better public transportation.

Valanga
Dec 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Where is Hong Kong? :o Out of top 50 I guess.

ETA: 70 :o and Seoul is actually 75.

Beat
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Vancouver is nice to live in if you have money. It shouldn't be on the list, even though I'd love to live there, but quality of living should taken into account cost of living, which is skyhigh there.

that's a good point. i live in zurich, which is no. 2 on that list. i love the city, but you have to have money if you want to enjoy what it has to offer. it's really hard to find a flat, for example, and even the biggest shitholes cost a fortune.

Gagsquet
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Best quality of living according to pensioners ? what a laughable ranking.

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Where is Hong Kong? :o Out of top 50 I guess.

ETA: 70 :o and Seoul is actually 75.

What is this gayness you are promoting through avatars and signature? I must experience it.

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
What a shitty list. Lots of cities in top 20 live half of the year under the snow and very cold weather and they still want to convince us these are cities with best quality of life :spit:

First Spanish or Italian city in the list is Barcelona at #40. And 3 Swiss cities in the top 10. Ridiculous, it seems it's all about the money :yawn:

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM
You can complain about weather in cities with snow, but cities in Spain and Italy have issues, too. Mostly their people. I hate to generalize, but if there's a more racist country in Western Europe than Spain or Italy, I'd be shocked. The xenophobia in both countries is astonishing. (And I say this as someone who has been a witness to it - and experienced it - more than once, and as someone who has been to both countries at least five times each.) And you want to convince me that cities in those country should be higher because it has more tolerable weather?

NyCPsU
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I thought Montreal might be a bit higher. I absolutely loved it there and could totally see myself loving living there.

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
You can complain about weather in cities with snow, but cities in Spain and Italy have issues, too. Mostly their people. I hate to generalize, but if there's a more racist country in Western Europe than Spain or Italy, I'd be shocked. The xenophobia in both countries is astonishing. (And I say this as someone who has been a witness to it - and experienced it - more than once, and as someone who has been to both countries at least five times each.) And you want to convince me that cities in those country should be higher because it has more tolerable weather?

Again the racism card :yawn: Honestly, either you are totally retarded or these countries aren't THAT racist if you visited them at least 10 times :facepalm:

Who would go that many times to racist countries wich such a high degree of xenophobia?

And yes, I (and MILLIONS OF residents from abroad) seem to prefer living in such countries with our climates than living in Bern or Luxemburg :spit: Maybe we are not that racist after all and you simply are an over sensitive queen, who knows...

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Canada doing pretty well with 4 cities in the top 25, but the order is ridiculous.

Vancouver is a great city, but way too expensive. Ottawa is super boring and way too governmental. Toronto is nice and all, but lacks a soul. Montreal is the coolest most urban city, but has its issues.

I'd rank them Montreal-Vancouver-Toronto-Ottawa.

Mattographer
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Don't come here in Sydney. Everyone thinks they're the most beautiful people in the world. Ask spiceboy :oh:

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Ottawa is super boring and way too governmental.

Yeah, and Luxemburg seems so exciting too :oh:

What a list...

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Calgary at 32? Really? Really?

¤CharlDa¤
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, and Luxemburg seems so exciting too :oh:

What a list...

I think the conclusion is that the liveliest cities, the ones with soul, great people, great food, great urban life, also come at a certain cost (violence, poverty, trash, etc.) And they pay it in such a study.

But then, Copenhagen is high up there and fits the description of a lively-city-with-issues.

wild.river
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Calgary at 32? Really? Really?

i know. they accidentally inverted the numbers. it should be 23 :angel:

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Don't come here in Sydney. Everyone thinks they're the most beautiful people in the world. Ask spiceboy :oh:

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

I know, is just too much for me. I loved Melbourne, though. Sydney is really awesome, don't get me wrong, the city is fantastic and all but is like being in Miami's South Beach 24/7 :p

~{X}~
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Well NYC doesn't have alleyways... it wasn't designed for such. :)

It may have a few around the outer boroughs, but in Manhattan itself, there are very few.

cellophane
Dec 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Canada doing pretty well with 4 cities in the top 25, but the order is ridiculous.

Vancouver is a great city, but way too expensive. Ottawa is super boring and way too governmental. Toronto is nice and all, but lacks a soul. Montreal is the coolest most urban city, but has its issues.

I'd rank them Montreal-Vancouver-Toronto-Ottawa.

Ottawa may be dull as fuck, but it is more affordable/much cleaner / relatively speaking safer/maybe more appealing city for families in comparison to Montreal/Toronto, so I can see why it could rate higher. That said, yes, it is dull as fuck. If that is your main criterion, it wouldn't even make the list. But that's not the sole criterion for rating.

Wiggly
Dec 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I would rather have cold weather than massive unemployment, civil wars or devastating earthquakes.

Montreal is on the way down.
Fun city to spend a wild weekend but wouldn't want to live there.

Quebec City has a great job market, decent entertainment and is exceptionally safe.
Should be up there.

wild.river
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I would rather have cold weather than massive unemployment, civil wars or devastating earthquakes.

Quebec City has a great job market, decent entertainment and is exceptionally safe.
Should be up there.

and victoria i think.

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Again the racism card :yawn: Honestly, either you are totally retarded or these countries aren't THAT racist if you visited them at least 10 times :facepalm:

Who would go that many times to racist countries wich such a high degree of xenophobia?

And yes, I (and MILLIONS OF residents from abroad) seem to prefer living in such countries with our climates than living in Bern or Luxemburg :spit: Maybe we are not that racist after all and you simply are an over sensitive queen, who knows...

I'm obviously not such a tool that I would think that everyone is a racist. I've been to different parts of Spain and Italy hoping that my experience will improve elsewhere.

You can defend it all you want; it doesn't make it less true. And the fact of the matter is, most people I've spoken to about this have actually corroborated my experience. And funny that you say, "again the racism card." Apparently this is not the first time you've actually heard about this. But I'm being an oversensitive queen. Dude, when the daughter of the family sitting next to you during lunch starts playing with her eyes (to make them look slanty) and making gibberish sounds while her parents laugh isn't fucking racist, I don't know what is. Or when you ask a sales associate at a supermarket for where you can pick your football tickets that you purchased online, and the lady assumes that you're there asking for work; if these aren't examples of some racism, then you go right ahead. You're so tough. Maybe you wouldn't feel uncomfortable when someone does these things to you, but Europeans are very rarely made to go through these things.

And we're talking about LIVING in these places.I can go to Barcelona or Capri for two days, visit some friends, eat food, sit on the sand and move on with my life. I can go there and experience what the destination is about and not have to worry about the disgusting piece of thrash who throws me snide looks when I go into his wine shop. I wouldn't actually sign up to live there.

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM

Should be up there.

QC is so boring though. Seriously, when I went, it was all old people.

azdaja
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:53 PM
but Europeans are very rarely made to go through these things.
like what? not feeling welcome in some other part of europe? hell, in some other part of their own country? sorry, but you have no idea.

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Or when you ask a sales associate at a supermarket for where you can pick your football tickets that you purchased online, and the lady assumes that you're there asking for work

If you consider this racism, yes, you are definitely an over-sensitive queen. Everything can be racism then. Good luck in life. You'll need it :wavey:

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM
I actually really like both Vienna and Zurich. While Zurich is disgustingly expensive, Vienna is bit more tolerable. When I visited the first time, I was concerned it was going to be really pricey, I was surprised to find that it was ok. Not more expensive than say Paris or Milan.

I just came back from Amsterdam like two days ago (my fourth time), and the more I go, the more I like it. I actually didn't like it at all the first time I went there alone a couple of years ago. It was probably one of my like bottom three European cities back then, but it's probably in my top five now. Of the first 15 on the list, I think that'd be my first choice. The rain makes it a bit annoying (and who really wants to be in the middle of the canals when it's pouring), but what can you do?

Sammo
Dec 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Best quality of living according to pensioners ? what a laughable ranking.

This

shap_half
Dec 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM
like what? not feeling welcome in some other part of europe? hell, in some other part of their own country? sorry, but you have no idea.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't really mean just Europeans - this is more a white/non-white situation. Yes, I understand that there are social and cultural issues everywhere. But the instances where a non-Westerner/non-white traveler faces issues with xenophobia are can't really be compared with the reverse. White people and Westerners are mostly prized when they go out traveling to non-Western/non-white destinations. Regardless of what drives these experiences, there is a difference.

If you consider this racism, yes, you are definitely an over-sensitive queen. Everything can be racism then. Good luck in life. You'll need it :wavey:

As an American, I reckon that I may be wired to think that even the littlest things can be a sign of racism, but this is not one of those instance. You've obviously dismissed my claim so I'm not going to make a big to do about it. It is what it is. I didn't mean to suggest that you're a racism, but not everyone is like you. And generally, I try not to pay attention to things like this as my desire to travel trumps whatever issues I may face while doing it, but xenophobia in Spain and Italy exists.

azdaja
Dec 5th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't really mean just Europeans - this is more a white/non-white situation. Yes, I understand that there are social and cultural issues everywhere. But the instances where a non-Westerner/non-white traveler faces issues with xenophobia are can't really be compared with the reverse. White people and Westerners are mostly prized when they go out traveling to non-Western/non-white destinations. Regardless of what drives these experiences, there is a difference.
i can understand this.

Wiggly
Dec 6th, 2012, 02:14 AM
and victoria i think.

Victorias has the "hottest" winters in the country and old people are moving there to buy a condo.

QC is so boring though. Seriously, when I went, it was all old people.

Go to Grande-Allée.

Reptilia
Dec 6th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Vancouver looks beautiful!

I have no idea why Auckland does so well on these lists :lol: I find it a horrible city, I much prefer Wellington.

Reptilia
Dec 6th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Let me put it this way, I'd never live in New Zealand no matter how good the quality of life there is.

Sydney is way overrated. I would rather live in Paris or a smaller Italian city.

:eek::eek: Shocker. Why don't you just move there then? Your constant bitching about how horrible you find Australia is getting kinda tiresome. :lol:

wild.river
Dec 6th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Victorias has the "hottest" winters in the country and old people are moving there to buy a condo.

Go to Grande-Allée.

maybe old people have good taste

ptkten
Dec 6th, 2012, 03:39 AM

As an American, I reckon that I may be wired to think that even the littlest things can be a sign of racism, but this is not one of those instance. You've obviously dismissed my claim so I'm not going to make a big to do about it. It is what it is. I didn't mean to suggest that you're a racism, but not everyone is like you. And generally, I try not to pay attention to things like this as my desire to travel trumps whatever issues I may face while doing it, but xenophobia in Spain and Italy exists.

Shap Half, no need to defend yourself. I'm white so I've never personally had to endure something but I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and based on my experiences the people in Italy and Spain are by far the most racist. Many of the people I've spent time with there don't look at Africans as equal, they really don't. Both countries have other amazing qualities but the level of racism in both places is stunning.

Either way, this list is ridiculous. They have Atlanta and Dallas listed as having the best infrastructure in the United States which is measured using traffic congestion and public transportation. Uh, no :lol:

wild.river
Dec 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Vancouver looks beautiful!

I have no idea why Auckland does so well on these lists :lol: I find it a horrible city, I much prefer Wellington.

what's wrong with auckland?

vancouver isn't that great. i'm always surprised it makes the top 5.