PDA

View Full Version : Is it fact or Jealousy? Martina hingis on Serena Williams

ECB043
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
In 2007 Martina Hingis said Serena's game is all about brute force and no power. She wins matches because of her physique and strength. Therefore Martina Cannot respect it. If Martina had Serena's physique then she would be the greatest ever.. Do you think she is accurate or is she jealous that Serena is now one of the GOAT and she never reached her mothers potential..

Royals.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
She's jealous.

Martina can take several seats back. That bitch will never come close to being a GOAT. Yet she wants to criticise LordRena? :lol:

Brad[le]y.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Where did she say this? :lol:

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
I very much doubt Hingis would want Serena's physique.

Start da Game
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
she doubted whether mauresmo and henin were actually women or not......hingis is just a bad joke......

i don't understand how they let her off the doping convictions and at the same time banned gasquet for accidentally kissing a girl who smoked coke......

Alejandrawrrr
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
Why debate over a quote that was said nearly 6 years ago? She's only had kind things to say about The Lord in recent interviews, which goes to show that she has at the very least learned her place.

Thanos
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.steveholland.com.au/large/Portfolio057.jpg

duhcity
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
she doubted whether mauresmo and henin were actually women or not......hingis is just a bad joke......

i don't understand how they let her off the doping convictions and at the same time banned gasquet for accidentally kissing a girl who smoked coke......

Other way around

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Old old....

Petronius
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:50 AM
I don't know the context, but it's obvious that in many sports having almost man-like power and physique can help you big to dominate a women field and Serena is not an exception.
But power would be useless if you don't have excellent tennis skills, which Serena obviously has.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
where did she say that? quote

tracytracy22
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
In 2007 Martina Hingis said Serena's game is all about brute force and no power. She wins matches because of her physique and strength. Therefore Martina Cannot respect it. If Martina had Serena's physique then she would be the greatest ever.. Do you think she is accurate or is she jealous that Serena is now one of the GOAT and she never reached her mothers potential..

Brute force and NO power?

Anyways...martina might have been jealous, who knows. I think she might have been but serena had already surpassed her by that time.

But it is kinda true, that serena is all about power and wins because of her physique - thats just her game. But she can mix it up and does so occasionally. She's got more variety than people think. But you can think about it this way - if serena was like hingis (average athlete, slow, crap serve etc), do you think she would have been as successful as she is now? Doubt it. And maybe thats why hingis couldnt respect serena's style of play - I think that she though that her game required a lot more skill.

JJ all the way
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
She's jealous.

Martina can take several seats back. That bitch will never come close to being a GOAT. Yet she wants to criticise LordRena? :lol:

What is up with this whole "Lord" situation? I personally find it offensive to God..............:oh:
It looks like a desperate plea to compete with "empress"

ZeroSumGame
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
I very much doubt Hingis would want Serena's physique.

So you're the mouth piece of Hingis? Not to be too insulting, you think Serena would want Hingis' physique ...while I'm not a fan at least I know there a lotta pple outhere who dig Serena's athletic figure :wavey:

My fav has often been insulted for being flat, a tooth pick,and looking like a boy on this forum, but I'm :cool:

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Brute force and NO power?

Anyways...martina might have been jealous, who knows. I think she might have been but serena had already surpassed her by that time.

But it is kinda true, that serena is all about power and wins because of her physique - thats just her game. But she can mix it up and does so occasionally. She's got more variety than people think. But you can think about it this way - if serena was like hingis (average athlete, slow, crap serve etc), do you think she would have been as successful as she is now? Doubt it. And maybe thats why hingis couldnt respect serena's style of play - I think that she though that her game required a lot more skill.

And we know this how?! Serena has her strengths and she maximized them. Hingis should've done the same with her strengths, instead of hating on Serena.

iHeartTroyBolton
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Did she really say this? What was the catalyst for it?

To discount physicality would be like saying Yao Ming wasn't helped by being tall. Although to say brute force and no power seems silly when any tennis player knows good timing is a key ingredient to creating pace.

Not to mention Serena's foot speed has always been one of the many major upsides in her game.

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Serena is jealous of Hingis and of Sharapova and of every other woman who dresses well and is liked by men

Lilowannabe
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
This isn't the full quote, if I remember it rightly. She see the force and power, no finess was a gamestyle she couldn't respect but she was forced too!

I kinda think Hingis was biased, and gave greater merit to a certain skill set ie finess, court craft, anticipation. Though I think Hingis now has great respect for serenas game

Lilowannabe
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Serena is jealous of Hingis and of Sharapova and of every other woman who dresses well and is liked by men

Hingis, Sharapova and Serena all very different, gorgeous women.

Volcana
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Was unable to find a direct link to the article. However, the referenced quote was probably

"Playing (Serena) it always felt like playing a steamroller. No subtlety, no finesse, just raw, loud power. To respect this style of play was always a bit tough for me, but of course I had to, because the rules of tennis don't state that having a beautiful game is required to become No. 1."

Honestly, before 2002, that was a fairly accurate assessment, and that would have been the timeframe Hingis was referencing, since she retired in 2002.

Volcana
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
'Serena is jealous .... oh God I think I'm dying. That's like Jon Isner is jealous because he isn't as tall as Henin.

blongislong
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM

Sorry I much prefer Serena. Maybe because I am black so it may be a cultural thing. Give me a hip hop music video girl over a Victoria's Secret model all day everyday

miffedmax
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Dredging up a quote from at least six years ago?

http://i.imgur.com/wQiuC.gif