PDA

View Full Version : Players playing at their peak and still losing the match

Pages : [1] 2

Leo St
Dec 2nd, 2012, 11:54 PM
im sure it happens from time to time.. can you recall an ocasion? i mean elite players, or else this list would be endless

unless were talking about errani rg final, it probably means the match was a classic because someone had to overplay an elite player at her best in order to win

SilverPersian
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
I think (apart from a blip at a very, very important point of the match :sobbing:) Sam played about as well as I've ever seen against Maria at Stuttgart this year. I really respect Maria for that win.

Sam's probably played better a few times before, but this was quite close to her peak IMO.

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:18 AM
Kerber against Azarenka in iStanbul
Jankovic against Serena at the US Open in 2008
Dementieva against Serena at Wimbledon in 2009

Svetlana)))
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Svetlana played the best she's ever played on grass and still lost to Venus in the 07 W QF

liuxuan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Mary Pierce played the best grass court match ive ever seen her play in losing 6-0 7-6 to Venus at Wimbledon 2005

Capriati was playing peak tennis for the best part of her us open semi final defeat to Justine in 03

Hingis' defeat to Venus at Wimbledon 2000 was the best ive seen her play on grass

duhcity
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:46 AM
I think you'll see a trend for a list like this, with players who are more defensive or counterpunch-y in style playing someone who gives them an incredible amount of pace to work with

Brad[le]y.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:56 AM
Mary Pierce played the best grass court match ive ever seen her play in losing 6-0 7-6 to Venus at Wimbledon 2005

Capriati was playing peak tennis for the best part of her us open semi final defeat to Justine in 03

Hingis' defeat to Venus at Wimbledon 2000 was the best ive seen her play on grass

I think their USO match that year was amazing. Martina played well but wasn't brave enough to put away an overhead that would have given her match points.

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Kerber vs Azarenka at the YEC.

Stosur in the second/third sets of USO QF vs Azarenka.

The Dawntreader
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Svetlana played the best she's ever played on grass and still lost to Venus in the 07 W QF

Indeed.

Also re Kuznetsova, her final against Serena in Beijing in '04 was pretty much Sveta in her most destructive, buoyant form, and still she lost.

Helen Lawson
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:04 AM
I think Davenport in the 2005 Wimbledon final.

Hardiansf
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:05 AM
Dementieva to Serena at that classic Wimbledon semifinal

producer88
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Sharapova lost to Serena Olympic final. I honestly thought she was going to put up a fight, because she was dominant at the Olympics as well, and didn't play bad at the final. You can tell Maria was giving it her all, but I mean it's Serena.

I actually think this happens a lot against Rena. Some players play peak, but still can't beat her.

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:07 AM
Sharapova lost to Serena Olympic final. I honestly thought she was going to put up a fight, because she was dominant at the Olympics as well, and didn't play bad at the final. You can tell Maria was giving it her all, but I mean it's Serena.

I actually think this happens a lot against Rena. Some players play peak, but still can't beat her.

Yeah I don't think Maria was playing anywhere near her peak in that final and I'm not even a fan. It's been a long time since I watched though so I could be wrong.

égalité
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
What about the 2008 Wimbledon final? :oh:

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:47 AM
What about the 2008 Wimbledon final? :oh:

:spit:

Manitou
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:55 AM
Pretty much everybody against Serena...

--

NoppaNoppa
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Very rare. Of late, USO11 1st set Kirilenko vs. Stosur comes to mind.

NashaMasha
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM

:help::help: :facepalm: ....trollers to the left , it's beyond stupidity

from Sharapova's losses probably her loss to Henin was at her peak in WTa Championships 2007

petey_pan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Kerber vs Azarenka at the YEC.

Stosur in the second/third sets of USO QF vs Azarenka.

I agree. Victoria is such an awful match up for Sam, she had to play her very best to even make it that close.

dsanders06
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Not her *absolute* peak, but Maria was very near her best in that YEC final against Justine in 2007. I'd put it in Maria's top 20 matches, and certainly the best match from her side that she ever lost.

As others have said, Dementieva in the Wimbledon semifinal is an obvious one.

Venus's best hardcourt matches after 2003 were both matches that she lost (her US Open semifinals against Henin and Clijsters).

Azarenka in the Stuttgart final :oh:

moby
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:28 AM
Serena losing to Justine in the RG 03 SF. :oh:

brickhousesupporter
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:35 AM
07 Miami Final......Serena def Justine Henin.

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Also Venus def. Davenport, Wimbledon 2005

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM

:lol: this, she payed 10% and 800 notches bellow her level and Serena made lucky shots

producer88
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:00 AM
:help::help: :facepalm: ....trollers to the left , it's beyond stupidity

from Sharapova's losses probably her loss to Henin was at her peak in WTa Championships 2007

A)I don't troll and don't have a record of doing it

B))From my opinion Sharapova was playing great tennis during the Olympics, and in the final she was playing well, and was giving it her all. Just cause she's your favorite doesn't mean you can't admit the truth.

I at least know Serena was giving it her all against Justine in '03 French Open & still got her butt beat by Justine at the French Open.

Leo St
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:04 AM
im liking the responses here, low trolling percentage

VeeJJ
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:10 AM
Clijsters df. Serena YEC 02'

Leo St
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
clijsters b li na aus open 11?

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM

Don't forget her match against Stosur at RG '10. :oh:

NashaMasha
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:25 AM
A)I don't troll and don't have a record of doing it

B))From my opinion Sharapova was playing great tennis during the Olympics, and in the final she was playing well, and was giving it her all. Just cause she's your favorite doesn't mean you can't admit the truth.

I at least know Serena was giving it her all against Justine in '03 French Open & still got her butt beat by Justine at the French Open.

if you repeat B.S. twice it won't turn from shit to gold

jameshazza
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:27 AM

Charlatan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
*tap tap tap* Kirilenko Sharapova 2012 Indian Wells :wavey:

jameshazza
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
*tap tap tap* Kirilenko Sharapova 2012 Indian Wells :wavey:

That match still amazes me, that was beyond Kiri's peak. I don't know where she was pulling all those aces and FH winners from. :lol:

I still can't at NashaMasha's post. :sobbing:

Trey
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:36 AM
Kleybanova def Zvonareva DUBAI 2011

Harry.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
Hantuchova against Ivanovic at the '08 AO. Umm.. Petkovic was at her peak IMO when she lost to Aga in the Beijing final.

NashaMasha
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:41 AM
Caroline Wozniacki vs Sharapova in Miami, especially some games when she successfully tried to be agressive

Charlatan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
This match:

Ds-DDgvMulA

so underrated

That match still amazes me, that was beyond Kiri's peak. I don't know where she was pulling all those aces and FH winners from. :lol:

Evil Queen using voodoo and witchcraft

producer88
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:44 AM

I have my own opinion, and if you don't agree I understand, but there's no need to be rude or disrespectful. I'm done responding to you because I will not get into a fight over my opinion on a forum. Have a great day.

RVD
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
Dementieva to Serena at that classic Wimbledon semifinalAgreed.
I was in awe of Dementieva's game that day.
But Serena (in typical never-say-die-fashion) pulled it out saving matchpoints.
What shocked me most was Dementieva serving an untouchable Ace in the very first game of that match.
Seriously...Dementieva serving an Ace against Serena?!?!?! :eek: :lol:
Plus, there were many more to come!!
In fact, Dementieva's serves in that match were stellar.

SilverSlam
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:52 AM
I think Wozniacki losing to Clijsters in the YEC F. She played her best tennis IMO (she was much more aggressive and defended better than recently) for the whole of the asian swing leading upto the YEC.

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:53 AM
Wozniacki versus Kerber at the China Open. Especially the last two sets, peak Wozniacki even though Kerber lost focus in the second set.

6-1 2-6 6-4

J.Bravo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:11 AM
Serena in the 2009 FO QF.

Rare loss I didn't walk away angry at.

égalité
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
:lol: this, she payed 10% and 800 notches bellow her level and Serena made lucky shots

What are you talking about? :weirdo: Serena had 19W/6UE in the first set and lost it. Anyone other than Venus and it would've been 6-0 Serena.

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:23 AM

What drugs are you on and can I have some? :lol:

Aryman3
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:52 AM
Mattek against Aga in AO 2011; she was some +40(winners against UE) and still lost
Petko vs Aga in Tokyo Final 2011

CanIGetAWhat
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
Sharapova to Venus 05 Wimbledon SF

EL6ixMAh31E

dagamezbest
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:29 AM
The title of this thread alone is hilarious! lol

Serenita
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Who want's to be that delusional?:lol:

I'll have to go with Demented Wimbledon semi final against Serena.
That bitch played her heart out, and still lost:hearts:

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:59 AM
What are you talking about? :weirdo: Serena had 19W/6UE in the first set and lost it. Anyone other than Venus and it would've been 6-0 Serena.

Ahem ok how on earth does that mean that Sharapova was at her peak :lol: :weirdo:

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM

So you're saying Maria played well if I'm understanding correctly!?

Charlatan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
So you're saying Maria played well if I'm understanding correctly!?

egalite's original post was about Wimbledon 2008, which features Venus and Serena, with Venus winning.

I think you read it wrong as Olympics final :p

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
2012 YEC Final

jameshazza
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:12 AM
2012 YEC Final

Based on post-surgery hard court Maria I would actually agree.
She could have done more on ROS though but then so could Serena.

égalité
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Ahem ok how on earth does that mean that Sharapova was at her peak :lol: :weirdo:

2008 Wimbledon final. What part of this isn't clear? :lol:

The Witch-king
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:16 AM

He thinks you were talking about 2009

EDIT: He doesn't know what he's talking about :help:

Charlatan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
2012 YEC Final

Princess was playing at 20%

The Witch-king
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
Princess was playing at 20%

:awww: I haven't heard anyone refer to Serena as "Princess" in years

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM

EDIT: He doesn't know what he's talking about :help:

Actually I thought he was talking about Olympics 2012 so obviously you also don't know what you're talking about :lol:

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
2008 Wimbledon final. What part of this isn't clear? :lol:

EDIT: He doesn't know what he's talking about :help:He is deranged :lol:

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:27 AM
He is deranged :lol:

Yes it's fair to call someone deranged for being confused about what tennis match someone is refering to :lol: You just couldn't be more sad even if you tried.

The Witch-king
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Actually I thought he was talking about Olympics 2012 so obviously you also don't know what you're talking about :lol:

How does 2008 Wimbledon become the 2012 Olympics :unsure:

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
How does 2008 Wimbledon become the 2012 Olympics :unsure:

I don't know someone eralier in the thread said Sharapova was playing well at the Olympics 2012 and so for some reason I though Griffin was laughing at that. I'm under the impression that you think this is a really big deal.

Stamp Paid
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:37 AM
How does 2008 Wimbledon become the 2012 Olympics :unsure:OK! Something is wrong with that boy. :lol:

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM
I agree about Maria playing at her peak in YEC2007 but still lost to Peak Henin.
One of the best YEC finals if not the best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

The Witch-king
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
I don't know someone eralier in the thread said Sharapova was playing well at the Olympics 2012 and so for some reason I though Griffin was laughing at that.
Okay. :shrug:
I'm under the impression that you think this is a really big deal.

Lol If that makes you feel better

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:06 AM
Lol If that makes you feel better

No it just makes me feel that you're weird

Start da Game
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
sharapova us open 2012 semifinal.....

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM

:lol:

Royals.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM

Nope, Henin is a dirty cheater. She ruined Serena's chance for a 2nd FO title.

JarkaFish
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
Nope, Henin is a dirty cheater. She ruined Serena's chance for a 2nd FO title.

Henin owns Serena on clay and she's backed up that FO title with 3 more consecutive titles. Serena has now had plenty of chances to get a second FO title now that Henin is gone and has failed on each occasion.

bandabou
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:29 AM
I don't know someone eralier in the thread said Sharapova was playing well at the Olympics 2012 and so for some reason I though Griffin was laughing at that. I'm under the impression that you think this is a really big deal.

:rolls: You're such a joke. You start blah blahing, talking non-sense: 10 % this, lucky shots that.. whereas you didn't even KNOW what people were talking about. :haha:

You see a post about Serena and you can't think straight. :rolleyes:

borrowedheaven
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
I think Wozniacki losing to Clijsters in the YEC F. She played her best tennis IMO (she was much more aggressive and defended better than recently) for the whole of the asian swing leading upto the YEC.

Agreed. The best I've seen Wozniacki play against a quality opponent.

The Dawntreader
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dementieva played much better in her '05 QF Filderstadt match vs Clijsters than in the Wimby SF of '09. People actually forget when Dementieva's actual 'peak' was.

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM

The expert on speaking crap has spoken :worship:

Natural Joe
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Errani vs Radwanska YEC 2012 probably

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I agree about Maria playing at her peak in YEC2007 but still lost to Peak Henin.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

:spit: :haha: You wish.

No way was Henin at her peak there. Her peak was USO 2007 and she went downhill from there - even though she won all the tournaments she entered. If she was at her peak, it wouldn't have taken her so long to win that YEC final.

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
:spit: :haha: You wish.

No way was Henin at her peak there. Her peak was USO 2007 and she went downhill from there - even though she won all the tournaments she entered. If she was at her peak, it wouldn't have taken her so long to win that YEC final.

It would have. Sharapova was always Henin's toughest opponent during her peak and she said so herself.
Maria was just a beast in this YEC and noone was going to defeat her easily, not even Peak Henin.

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
It would have. Sharapova was always Henin's toughest opponent during her peak and she said so herself.
Maria was just a beast in this YEC and noone was going to defeat her easily, not even Peak Henin.

So damn delusional :sad: :hysteric:

I truly feel so sorry for you that you cannot (no matter how hard you try to) enter the world of reality. :hug:

I suppose it must be less painful living in a delusional world than living in reality ... so I suppose I can try and understand.

kiwifan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Most of Serena Williams' non-Top 20 competition throughout history.

I've never seen more women play great against one player and then go back to playing shit against regular competition. :)

Meghann Shaughnessy used to look like Peak Monica Seles when ever she played against a Williams Sister! :shout::fiery:

Leo St
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
things we have in common
.we exist in the planet earth at the same time
.we like tennis

ok thats two good reasons for us to get along! stop crazy arguings

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM

I truly feel so sorry for you that you cannot (no matter how hard you try to) enter the world of reality. :hug:

I suppose it must be less painful living in a delusional world than living in reality ... so I suppose I can try and understand.

Don't. You're the lost cause and since when are you licking Henin's butt anyway are you already done with Serena.

somethingkinda
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM

I've never seen more women play great against one player and then go back to playing shit against regular competition. :)

Meghann Shaughnessy used to look like Peak Monica Seles when ever she played against a Williams Sister! :shout::fiery:

THIS, so true.

Another good example would be Zheng Jie

danieln1
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Aga vs Serena Wimbledon Final This Year? :shrug:

Kvitova vs Azarenka YEC 11 Final :oh:

Petkorazzi
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Barthel vs Azarenka in Stuttgart.
Brianti vs Azarenka in Paris.

Toxic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
AO 07 and 12 finals :oh:

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Don't. You're the lost cause and since when are you licking Henin's butt anyway are you already done with Serena.

:help:

Just because you obsess over one player doesn't mean everyone does. You see, that's what I mean - there's definitely something wrong with you :awww:

I'm a tennis FAN which means I like the game of tennis and various players' games, but I know you cannot comprehend that. Never mind :hug:

HRHoliviasmith
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM

Just because you obsess over one player doesn't mean everyone does. You see, that's what I mean - there's definitely something wrong with you :awww:

I'm a tennis FAN which means I like the game of tennis and various players' games, but I know you cannot comprehend that. Never mind :hug:

:wavey:

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM

Hmmm not true I happened to be interested in the very best players too this is why Serena and Vika got my full attention this year but of course I will always be on Maria's bandwagon whether she sucks or not it's like that.

But you :lol: when was the last time you even argued about your fave :lol: all I see from you is some stupid GIF showing Serena hitting nice winners over Maria. Your only purpose in here is bashing Maria in every single thread by using other players' success since your fave is a zombie lately if you can't see sth is off with you then I'm really sorry.

Nicolás89
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Martina in that RG final against a nobody. :rolleyes:

Nicolás89
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
:spit: at PetraNo.8

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM

So what exactly was not true about his post? :weirdo:

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
:spit: at PetraNo.8

:spit: :hah: @ Wozniacki no 10 without a slam

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
:spit: :hah: @ Wozniacki no 10 without a slam

Oh finally she is listening, I can see that you found your place.:lol: Enjoy your fight against Pusher fans and maybe next year you will come back in the elite group but for now you're stuck with them.

PetraReeMona
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Oh finally she is listening, I can see that you found your place.:lol: Enjoy your fight against Pusher fans and maybe next year you will come back in the elite group but for now you're stuck with them.

Don't think so.... :oh:

http://upload.3ode.net/files/53598.gif

JustPetko
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Kerber against Azarenka in iStanbul
Jankovic against Serena at the US Open in 2008
Dementieva against Serena at Wimbledon in 2009

These.

jacobruiz
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM

Just because you obsess over one player doesn't mean everyone else does. You see, that's what I mean - there's definitely something wrong with you :awww:

What are you talking about? You're more obsessed with
Maria than anyone else on here! :lol: :help:

n1_and_uh_noone
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM

Just no. She was in the peak period of her career, but this was hardly her peak level of play. To be honest, she only just gutted that one out. I felt off the ground Sharapova was just better and Justine was not finding enough variety to hurt her. Of course, there are factors like it being indoors (where Justine could get rushed) and Sharapova playing at a level she was not prepared for, but it also was a really busy end of the season for her.

Despite everything though, I did not ever think she was going to lose the match. The epic fight she put up probably caused her to declare it was the pinnacle of her career or something when she retired the next year.

I think in terms of her game AT THE TIME (which I am still :mad: over), Justine's loss to Serena in the 2010 AO final is an example for the OP.

Evan James
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
All players who are more than 24 yo and still didn't manage to enter at least top 30.

miffedmax
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Back on topic, folks.

moodin0931
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Seeing miffedmax I can't help but to think back to Oudin vs. Dementieva in Paris in 2010 :shrug:

doomsday
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Nope and Max basically told me he wouldn't be

ILuvKvitty is a she. I know it's really hard to believe.

debby
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Disgusted at I Luv Kitty I used to like a lot and at Brickhousesupporter.

Really.

Anyway back to topic :

Justine Henin def Serena Williams RG 03 :oh: :oh: :oh:

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
Samantha Stosur def Serena Williams RG 2010 :oh:

No I don't think that was peak Rena but damn was she trying :lol: Should have been a 6-2 6-3 victory for Sam anyway

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Nope and Max basically told me he wouldn't be

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/74647593_wtf_gif.gif

brickhousesupporter
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM

Really.

Anyway back to topic :

:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing: Whatever will I do without your approval Debby.........anyway you know damn well that was not peak Serena.

debby
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing: Whatever will I do without your approval Debby.........anyway you know damn well that was not peak Serena.

I know, I know, you need me.

Maybe on clay? ;)

n1_and_uh_noone
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM

Really.

Anyway back to topic :

Oh debby, this new Sugar-craze has made you blind to your past fave JH :hug:. That was nowhere near peak Juju and you know it.

Oh, OK, only the loser was at their peak. Got it. :lol:

Brad[le]y.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Brickhouse got banned :spit:

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
y.;22545015']Brickhouse got banned :spit:

:lol:

debby
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Oh debby, this new Sugar-craze has made you blind to your past fave JH :hug:. That was nowhere near peak Juju and you know it.

Oh, OK, only the loser was at their peak. Got it. :lol:

:spit: :spit:
The match peak Juju lost ? None. Why? Because we all know peak Justine is the best player ever, better than Graf, Serena, Navratilova and Maria reunited.

:hysteric: OMG.

Dominic
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM

well done admins!

Brad[le]y.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Anyways I think maybe JJ vs. Justine at the 2006 USO. She was playing stellar tennis, beat 3 top 10 players en route to the SF; she was serving with a game point to go up 6-4 5-2, argued with the umpire, double faulted, and didn't win another game :spit:

debby
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
y.;22545042']Anyways I think maybe JJ vs. Justine at the 2006 USO. She was playing stellar tennis, beat 3 top 10 players en route to the SF; she was serving with a game point to go up 6-4 5-2, argued with the umpire, double faulted, and didn't win another game :spit:

That match still gives me chills.

Oh and their Stuttgart one !

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
y.;22545042']Anyways I think maybe JJ vs. Justine at the 2006 USO. She was playing stellar tennis, beat 3 top 10 players en route to the SF; she was serving with a game point to go up 6-4 5-2, argued with the umpire, double faulted, and didn't win another game :spit:

I don't think chokes count here :lol:

Evan James
Dec 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
I remember Ana's 6-7 6-3 5-1 and three consecutive match points against Clijsters. It was not Ana at her peak, but still, she played great that day. But eventually, lost 6-7 6-3 6-7. It still hurts. :(

n1_and_uh_noone
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
Oh and their Stuttgart one !

Yup, that one (2010, and maybe 2007). Justine did not even have a break point in the 1st set, IIRC. And she won the 2nd set tiebreak 7-5 or something. But it was always NID :drool:

Harry.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I remember Ana's 6-7 6-3 5-1 and three consecutive match points against Clijsters. It was not Ana at her peak, but still, she played great that day. But eventually, lost 6-7 6-3 6-7. It still hurts. :(

This never happened. :rolleyes::sobbing:

Another one that popped up in my mind today.. Cibulkova vs. Azarenka in Miami this year? That's probably the best I've ever seen her play and she still lost..

Sammo
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM

So did I.Luv.Kvitty :cheer:

Nicolás89
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
WTH happened!? :tears:

young_gunner913
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Justine Henin 2005 Wimby R1 vs Eleni Daniilidou

Justine was riding high on a 24 match win streak and just captured another RG title before Eleni once again trashed her on the grass courts. This time it was at Wimbledon. This match was so epic LiveScoreHunter decided to include it on their homepage banner.

http://i47.tinypic.com/sfe8au.png

n1_and_uh_noone
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Razzano-LordRena :oh:

TennisPhan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
peak serena never lost a match. what you fools talking about.

lenas warriors
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Keothavong against LaBorz in olymplics

lenas warriors
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Laborz vs kvitty goat wimbledon 2010 :drool:

Kairi
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Razzano-LordRena :oh:

How about Ms.Perpetual Canker Sore vs Rena, 2008 Miami QF? :shrug:

Roookie
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Serena vs Razzano. Serena had her best pre-RG clay season in 10 years!!!. And she brought her best real clay level that day but injured Razzano played a really inspired match.

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
How about Ms.Perpetual Canker Sore vs Rena, 2008 Miami QF? :shrug:

:hysteric:

Justin SW
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Don't forget her match against Stosur at RG '10. :oh:

that was peak Serena ? Oh poor soul...how bright are you? not bright at all is my guess.

Peak Serena def Peak Stosur Charleston 2012 :angel: 61 61

Stonerpova
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
that was peak Serena ? Oh poor soul...how bright are you? not bright at all is my guess.

Peak Serena def Peak Stosur Charleston 2012 :angel: 61 61

IMO the best match Serena has ever played :worship:

And Stosur had to serve as well as she can just to win 2 games.

Evan James
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
This never happened. :rolleyes::sobbing:

Another one that popped up in my mind today.. Cibulkova vs. Azarenka in Miami this year? That's probably the best I've ever seen her play and she still lost..

Miami 2011, Round of 16. Kim won 7:6, 3:6, 7:6, after Ana was leading 5:1 in third set.

borrowedheaven
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM

Where you there? That match wasn't streamed.

Evan James
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Where you there? That match wasn't streamed.

It wasn't streamed, I remember I followed live score and couldn't believe what's happening. At 5-1 in third for Ana, I was already celebrating and jumping around my bedroom, but eventually, I cried obviously. :sad:

Never mind, Ana's future will be bright. :)

Charlatan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM

So did I.Luv.Kvitty :cheer:

Justice prevailed in the end :)

Harry.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Miami 2011, Round of 16. Kim won 7:6, 3:6, 7:6, after Ana was leading 5:1 in third set.

It was sarcasm. I'm trying to forget that ever happened because that match still keeps me up at night :sobbing:

Evan James
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
It was sarcasm. I'm trying to forget that ever happened because that match still keeps me up at night :sobbing:

Oh, I'm sorry. :) Yes, it still hurts. She was so close to have one victory against Kim. I cried like a five year old kid, I can't imagine how Ana felt after that match. :sad:

liuxuan
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Peak Serena vs Herself

Peak Serena vs Lucky Shots :devil:

danieln1
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Graf played her peak here and lost to Peak Seles

bJGCbvmQbPo

dsanders06
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:27 AM
2012 YEC Final

Based on post-surgery hard court Maria I would actually agree.
She could have done more on ROS though but then so could Serena.

:lol: :lol: Really??
It was basically a replay of their 2010 Wimbledon match: PostsurgeryPova's peak serving, but pretty mediocre off the ground. Though Serena played much better than that 2010 match.

Just no. She was in the peak period of her career, but this was hardly her peak level of play. To be honest, she only just gutted that one out. I felt off the ground Sharapova was just better and Justine was not finding enough variety to hurt her. Of course, there are factors like it being indoors (where Justine could get rushed) and Sharapova playing at a level she was not prepared for, but it also was a really busy end of the season for her.

Despite everything though, I did not ever think she was going to lose the match. The epic fight she put up probably caused her to declare it was the pinnacle of her career or something when she retired the next year.

I think in terms of her game AT THE TIME (which I am still :mad: over), Justine's loss to Serena in the 2010 AO final is an example for the OP.

I agree Justine wasn't AS good in that YEC match as she was against the Williams sisters at the US Open, but imho it was still one of her better matches of that year :shrug: Certainly she was moving as well as she ever did and chasing down countless woukd-be Sharapova winners, and although her forehand wasn't quite as outrageously good as at the US Open, she still hit some stunning winners off that wing.

Speaking of that YEC match, I'm watching it atm; I didn't realise until today someone had uploaded the full match on YouTube :drool:

AcesHigh
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Venus vs. Serena AO 2003
Serena vs. Justine RG 2003
Sharapova vs. Venus Wimby 2005

jameshazza
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:33 AM
:lol: :lol: Really??
It was basically a replay of their 2010 Wimbledon match: PostsurgeryPova's peak serving, but pretty mediocre off the ground. Though Serena played much better than that 2010 match.

It wasn't PEAK Maria but it easily her best performance against Serena on hard since 2005 AO. The only hard court tournament she's played better at since her comeback is probably AO this year, barring the Final. :o

debby
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Venus vs. Serena AO 2003
Serena vs. Justine RG 2003
Sharapova vs. Venus Wimby 2005

OMG that's what I said and a Serena fan thought I was kidding :lol:

The Dawntreader
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Sanchez-Vicario vs Graf, Wimbledon '95 also comes to mind. As does Sabatini vs Graf, Wimbledon '91. Hell, even Novotna vs Graf, Wimbledon '93.

Clijsters vs Dementieva, Filderstadt 2005 is another.

moby
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Hell, even Novotna vs Graf, Wimbledon '93.She was winning the match until she played like a club player, so that doesn't count.

OMG that's what I said and a Serena fan thought I was kidding :lol:
I was the first to say it in this thread! Because it's true.

RVD
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:50 AM

:worship::worship:
This has been the case since Serena turned pro.
And the proof is in the epic battles spread throughout Youtube.com of these matches.

Cajka
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Zheng this year against Serena. I'm not sure I've ever seen her playing better than that.

Sam against Masha in Stuttgart.

JJ against Venus in 2007 USO quarterfinal.

Errani against Radwanska in their last match.

Woz against Clijsters in 2010 YEC final

Israel
Dec 4th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Peer vs Williams 2007 AO.

andyjason
Dec 4th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Is Safarova the Peak in 2012 Montreal SF against Na?

Sam L
Dec 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM

bJGCbvmQbPo

:yeah: First one that came to my mind.

Brad[le]y.
Dec 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM

bJGCbvmQbPo

I always though the AO '93 match was better, but that's just me.

The 2nd Law
Dec 4th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Ana's problem is that she never brings her peak against players that are capable of beating her at that level. Whenever she's played her best, she's won because it's been against players like Jankovic or Kuznetsova who can't outplay her or she just matches up well with. Obviously if she'd have managed to play at her peak against one of or all of Serena (USO '12, USO '11, Dubai '09), Justine (RG '07), Venus (Wimbledon '09), Kim (:sobbing:), Maria (AO '08) etc. then we would have a few examples for her too. These were all matches where she'd probably still have lost even if she played her best. Her best ever loss imo was to Venus in Zurich 2004 but we can hardly call that her peak :lol:

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I don't think that Ana is incapable of beating those players at her best, but in the matches I listed they were all playing well enough to beat her at her best imo. A couple of them are arguable I guess, especially if you're an Ana fan :p

Pops Maellard
Dec 4th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Elena Dementieva - Wimbledon 2009 SF :sad:.

JCTennisFan
Dec 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
2003 USO SF..... both women played insanely well.

Banditoo
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Kvitova - Goerges Fed Cup 2012
Venus - Serena Miami 1999

The Dawntreader
Dec 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Pierce-Davenport, USO '99.
Kournikova-Venus, Miami '98.
Golovin- Henin, Stuttgart '07.
Rubin-Seles, AO '96.
Venus-Davenport, Linz '00.

danieln1
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Pierce-Davenport, USO '99.
Kournikova-Venus, Miami '98.
Golovin- Henin, Stuttgart '07.
Rubin-Seles, AO '96.
Venus-Davenport, Linz '00.

Peak Pierce never loses... never.

Sammo
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
:worship::worship:
This has been the case since Serena turned pro.
And the proof is in the epic battles spread throughout Youtube.com of these matches.

Really? I love Meghann's game and I've never seen any of those in youtube, I just remember a short clip of her beating Venus in Miami and I think it's gone.

BepaMaria
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Wozniacki losing to Zvonareva in Doha final last year

dsanders06
Dec 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Zheng this year against Serena. I'm not sure I've ever seen her playing better than that.

I thought both were terrible in that match. Zheng played much better against Serena in their match in Canada in 2011 imo.

y.;22546835']I always though the AO '93 match was better, but that's just me.

Agreed.

dsanders06
Dec 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Zvonareva in the US Open 2010 final. There were a lot more quality and well-contested rallies than the scoreline indicates, but Vera was unlucky to have across the net someone who in peak form does everything that she does only significantly better.

Serena was at her post-2003 best in the US Open '09 semifinals. Played better that match than she did in any match in 2009 except maybe the AO final (and I'm not even trolling).

bobito
Dec 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sabatini and Sanchez Vicario's losses to Graf in Wimbledon finals spring to mind.

Roookie
Dec 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Serena vs. Clijsters US09. 3-slams-holder, World's number two Serena went nuts when realized despite playing her best mommy Kim was outplaying her in every way.

Stonerpova
Dec 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Zvonareva in the US Open 2010 final. There were a lot more quality and well-contested rallies than the scoreline indicates, but Vera was unlucky to have across the net someone who in peak form does everything that she does only significantly better.

Serena was at her post-2003 best in the US Open '09 semifinals. Played better that match than she did in any match in 2009 except maybe the AO final (and I'm not even trolling).

Serena's woodshedding of Azarenka in the Wimbledon quarters also stands out as one of her best of 09. Scary good.

MrProdigy555
Dec 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this, but this is probably the best match I've seen Wozniacki play. So much more aggressive than she is now.
ex6hj7slkW4

Spartan
Dec 4th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Mauresmo vs Henin Eastbourne final 07. Phenomenal tennis from both in tough conditions.

KBlade
Dec 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM
A lesser known one, but I really admired the way Wickmayer played in this match, her serve was fantastic and her hitting was relentless at points. Who knows where she could have been if she kept this level up, she really did have chances to win this match in straights.

aZra5n7-uG0

Pops Maellard
Dec 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Lost a few leads but I don't think she could've played any better.

GbLq2BcntLg

Sammo
Dec 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM
GbLq2BcntLg

That's the best Kimiko can get right now, but that's nowhere near to her all time peak

blistering
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Stosur in Stuttgart this year, for sure. Best serving performance of her career

mikepails
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Can anyone list some matches Serena, Venus, Henin, or Graf played at peak form and lost the match? It seems people are going for the easy ones.

Pops Maellard
Dec 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
That's the best Kimiko can get right now, but that's nowhere near to her all time peak
Oh yeah. Date & Date-Krumm are two different players :angel:.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Probably been posted already but I was just watching this match. It wasn't Venus at her peak, but she was still playing a great match by her post-03 standards and lost. It's actually unbelievable how many times she had to hit 2 or 3 screaming winners in a single point, sometimes losing the point anyway. As much as I'd like to avoid complimenting that ogre I think this might be the single best performance I've ever seen in terms of defense/court coverage, or at least one of them.
R2LxHE8u5T0
The third set was definitely FAR from her peak, but she played that bad mostly because Kim wore her down in the second set. Up until late in the second Venus would have straight-setted probably anyone else on tour in the form that they were in at that time.

Sam L
Dec 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Probably been posted already but I was just watching this match. It wasn't Venus at her peak, but she was still playing a great match by her post-03 standards and lost. It's actually unbelievable how many times she had to hit 2 or 3 screaming winners in a single point, sometimes losing the point anyway. As much as I'd like to avoid complimenting that ogre I think this might be the single best performance I've ever seen in terms of defense/court coverage, or at least one of them.
R2LxHE8u5T0
The third set was definitely FAR from her peak, but she played that bad mostly because Kim wore her down in the second set. Up until late in the second Venus would have straight-setted probably anyone else on tour in the form that they were in at that time.
I wonder how much she was affected by Sjogren. It's sad. :sad: She should've at least a couple more US Opens.

Leo St
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:04 PM
that match was unbelieavable.. it made me admire kim so much, spliting like there was no tomorrow BUT still, it was kind of a choke.. venus was leading something like 6-4 4-2 and still lost, shame.. clijsters really is her ultimate adversary at the us open.. (which was clijsters main stage, hence the exibition match being between them)

Leo St
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM
i dont see sjogrens there.. i see a mental breakdown from the most incredible defense ive ever witnessed

Barktra
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Petra losing to Li at FO in 2011

Petra was hitting so well, but NaNa was just better

The Dawntreader
Dec 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
That USO '05 Slam QF is amongst the peak of WTA athleticism. The shot-making was insanely good too, but too sporadic to be anywhere near a classic.

Six Feet Under
Dec 15th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Peak Vinci:

yoTQrobEgrg

Vespertine69
Dec 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Hmm for my favourites off the top of my head, don't think either was playing at their actual peak, but best performance in a loss I can think of:

Chakvetadze - probably the 3rd round Wimbledon 2007 loss to Krajicek, rough loss but Krajicek served amazingly in the third set and both of them had hit some really good stuff in the match.

Myskina - Eastbourne 2006 final loss to Henin... Myskina didn't have a lot of belief early in the match but she played so well to get into things and definitely could have won.

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 12:58 AM
R2LxHE8u5T0

The best post you've ever made :worship:

(If I was being uncharitable, I'd point out that Venus's best 3 post-03 non-grass matches are ALL defeats to Belgians at the US Open :oh: .)

The Dawntreader
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:01 AM
The best post you've ever made :worship:

(If I was being uncharitable, I'd point out that Venus's best 3 post-03 non-grass matches are ALL defeats to Belgians at the US Open :oh: .)

No.

Sisyphus
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Peak Vinci:

yoTQrobEgrg

Did you not read the thread title? :tape:

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:15 AM
No.

Which ones has she played better in? The match against Ivanovic at the USO07 is the only one which can even compete.

Barktra
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Which ones has she played better in? The match against Ivanovic at the USO07 is the only one which can even compete.

USO 08 QF against Serena :shrug:

The Dawntreader
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM

Well if you think she played well in '09 and '10, then that's just absurd. She played better against Jankovic in '07 for a start.

'09 was Venus as a borderline cripple the whole tournament, and '10 was one of her most outrageous fuck-ups in a big match. '07 was a very high quality encounter, and that was a match she played well in. As was '05 for the most part. Her level of shot-making and athleticism was outstanding, until an unfortunate third set capitulation.

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:21 AM
USO 08 QF against Serena :shrug:

Venus played well in that match to be sure, but her level was quite erratic compared to her very best. She was consistently better in the USO05 against Kim / USO07 against Justine / USO10 against Kim, imo. I mean, Serena didn't even have to produce her best tennis of just that TOURNAMENT to get by her (she served and struck the ball better in the final).

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Well if you think she played well in '09 and '10, then that's just absurd. She played better against Jankovic in '07 for a start.

'09 was Venus as a borderline cripple the whole tournament, and '10 was one of her most outrageous fuck-ups in a big match. '07 was a very high quality encounter, and that was a match she played well in. As was '05 for the most part. Her level of shot-making and athleticism was outstanding, until an unfortunate third set capitulation.

:spit: Venus's W-UE differential was about -20 or something in that match, iirc.

I don't think her match against Kim in '09 was particularly great, but their '10 match was definitely as well as she's played away from grass post-2003. Her ballstriking was unbelievably crisp, and it was one of those rare matches where her defence was an asset. Her so-called "choke" has also been overstated -- apart from those 2 DFs in the 2nd-set tiebreak (and, let's face it, how many big matches has Venus actually had where she hasn't thrown in some DFs at crucial times), it's not like she collapsed in a mountain of unforced errors at all.

The Dawntreader
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
:spit: Venus's W-UE differential was about -20 or something in that match, iirc.

I don't think her match against Kim in '09 was particularly great, but their '10 match was definitely as well as she's played away from grass post-2003. Her ballstriking was unbelievably crisp, and it was one of those rare matches where her defence was an asset. Her so-called "choke" has also been overstated -- apart from those 2 DFs in the 2nd-set tiebreak (and, let's face it, how many big matches has Venus actually had where she hasn't thrown in some DFs at crucial times), it's not like she collapsed in a mountain of unforced errors at all.

You are a mess. I suggest you look at Venus's ball-striking, movement, length, energy in her '07 encounter against Jankovic compared to the '10 encounter with Sin. She's half the mover in the latter, with half the assurance off the ground.

Actually, compare the '05 level of tennis at the USO to her '10 match. The difference in athleticism is stark. Even in '08 the difference is palpable.

I know you are a concentrated Venus hater, but there's no need to revise the truth so shamelessly.

Barktra
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Sharapova fans could get on me for this, but Maria losing against Justine at the AO 06 SF. Maria was really good that day, but Justine was just better. First set Maria was amazing and she was the third to, Justine was just better on the day

acetoace
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:41 AM
2005 AO Serena V sharapova. No "shoulder excuse" Pova playing to her absolute limit (with her best serves) yet, still lost to an out of shape and off form Serena.:lol::lol:

Also Venus V sharapova 2005 Wimbledon SF (except that Venus was on point that day and showed pova who truly rules on Wimbledon lawn. No excuses for pova....she played her best and still lost!

JarkaFish
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Sharapova fans could get on me for this, but Maria losing against Justine at the AO 06 SF. Maria was really good that day, but Justine was just better. First set Maria was amazing and she was the third to, Justine was just better on the dayWhy would Sharapova fans get on you for that? It's no secret that Maria played lights out tennis against Henin multiple times in her career and still came out on the losing end more often than not.

The Dawntreader
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Sharapova fans could get on me for this, but Maria losing against Justine at the AO 06 SF. Maria was really good that day, but Justine was just better. First set Maria was amazing and she was the third to, Justine was just better on the day

I agree. Sharapova actually attempted to play that match tactically more than any other time previously. Mixing up the height of ball, using acute angles, keeping excellent depth, serving smartly.

Justine just had more durability and a greater wealth of shots at her disposal. Plus her superlative defense was decisively advantageous.

Barktra
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I agree. Sharapova actually attempted to play that match tactically more than any other time previously. Mixing up the height of ball, using acute angles, keeping excellent depth, serving smartly.

Justine just had more durability and a greater wealth of shots at her disposal. Plus her superlative defense was decisively advantageous.

I know and it was refreshing to see to. I was shocked to see Sharapova hit a moonball that match :lol:

MashaAzarenka
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'd say Sharapova vs Serena 2005 AO SF

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 02:06 AM
You are a mess. I suggest you look at Venus's ball-striking, movement, length, energy in her '07 encounter against Jankovic compared to the '10 encounter with Sin. She's half the mover in the latter, with half the assurance off the ground.

Actually, compare the '05 level of tennis at the USO to her '10 match. The difference in athleticism is stark. Even in '08 the difference is palpable.

I know you are a concentrated Venus hater, but there's no need to revise the truth so shamelessly.

You really have no right to accuse people of revising the truth when you claim that shitfest Venus and Jankovic played at the US Open in '07 was some classic :happy: I remember even Jankovic was laughing about how terrible the match was in her press conference after it (this was in the days when she actually had a sense of humour).

Nah. Maria had had literally about 1 week's practise in the offseason because of an ab injury, and it showed - her groundstrokes were well below her best that entire tournament. I would argue the reason that she uncharacteristically mixed things up in that match was because she knew she was too rusty to play her usual uber-aggressive way with enough consistency. Even if it was dramatic, it was one of the worse Sharapova-Henin matches.

Barktra
Dec 15th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Huh interesting I didn't know she had an ab injury before the tournament

I would be interested if she tried some of those tactics against Serena today

SilverSlam
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I think Masha -Henin AO 06 was definitely good. Bar a line call which would have given maria a break in the second or third or whatever she couldn't have done much more. Dsanders you're forgetting how well Henin defended making it look like Maria's strokes were a little slower and eventually in points they'd break down.

borrowedheaven
Dec 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM
that match was unbelieavable.. it made me admire kim so much, spliting like there was no tomorrow BUT still, it was kind of a choke.. venus was leading something like 6-4 4-2 and still lost, shame.. clijsters really is her ultimate adversary at the us open.. (which was clijsters main stage, hence the exibition match being between them)

I fail to see why this is a choke? The match was extremely close, the other player gaining momentum does not equal choking.

fluffyelloballz
Dec 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Happened to Steffi at Australian Open 93 in the final versus Seles.
Sanchez played as well as she can against Steffi a few times, losing in 95 Wimby final and 96 French.

Start da Game
Dec 15th, 2012, 01:23 PM
yeah graf playing at her peak lost a final or two to seles.....

Leo St
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I fail to see why this is a choke? The match was extremely close, the other player gaining momentum does not equal choking.

well lets go through it step by step

this match featured a clear distinction between an attacker and a defender

the defender was superb throughout the whole match and was still losing

the attacker started not to handle the pressure and make mistakes

choke? choke? kecho? cheko? hecko? oheck? cohek?

young_gunner913
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Queen Bethanie vs Agatha R1 at the AO this year. :hysteric: How the fuck can you manage 80 winners and still lose?! :crying2:

Justin
Dec 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Completely agree with Capriati/Henin and mostly agree with Pierce/Venus (that first set by Mary was by no means 'Peak Pierce'), but Hingis's play was way beyond passive in her '00 Wimbledon SF. It was shocking to see her play that way, especially at that time in her career.

Craig.
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Queen Bethanie vs Agatha R1 at the AO this year. :hysteric: How the fuck can you manage 80 winners and still lose?! :crying2:

By hitting 95 errors.

Joseosu19
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
ASV vs Graf in the 95 Wimbledon Finals

borrowedheaven
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM
well lets go through it step by step

this match featured a clear distinction between an attacker and a defender

the defender was superb throughout the whole match and was still losing

the attacker started not to handle the pressure and make mistakes

choke? choke? kecho? cheko? hecko? oheck? cohek?

That's just utter bullshit. So when an attacker starts to lose, it's immediately a choke? And Kim's offense was also very good in that match.

young_gunner913
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
By hitting 95 errors.

:unsure: I could've sworn she had a positive ratio W/UE. :unsure:

Leo St
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM
thats how i felt as i was watching the match.. and i tend not to be biased
had kim upgraded her lvl at 4-2, id say something different, but it was venus who downgraded hers..

too bad that we cant agree anyways

Craig.
Dec 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM

I'm just guessing she didn't cuz ya know it's Queen Bethanie :hysteric:

borrowedheaven
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM
thats how i felt as i was watching the match.. and i tend not to be biased
had kim upgraded her lvl at 4-2, id say something different, but it was venus who downgraded hers..

too bad that we cant agree anyways

My point is that even when that is true, it is still not a choke :) but it's ok.

Petkorazzi
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM
It's because of the injury, Bethanie was going to eat her alive but Radwanska got lucky as she usually does.

Meelis
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM

She had. 81 winners and 65 UE vs. 29 winners and 13 UE.

J4m3ka
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Dsanders is really trying too hard to make them Venus' - Belgian USO matches happen :tape: The match vs Justine was indeed great, the rest were mediocre at best from Venus. Even the 05 QF was a mess but looks good in highlight reels (although admittedly the play was great in parts).

All of the 08 YEC matches, majority of 09 YEC matches, 08 USO vs Aga, Stosur, Serena, 09 Dubai vs Serena, '10 Dubai vs Azarenka are ALL better performances from Venus than any of USO QF 05, 09, SF '10. And that's just from the top of my head.

Please stop.

Start da Game
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
i am quite sure chris evert played a bunch of matches at her peak and lost to navratilova......

dsanders06
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Dsanders is really trying too hard to make them Venus' - Belgian USO matches happen :tape: The match vs Justine was indeed great, the rest were mediocre at best from Venus. Even the 05 QF was a mess but looks good in highlight reels (although admittedly the play was great in parts).

All of the 08 YEC matches, majority of 09 YEC matches, 08 USO vs Aga, Stosur, Serena, 09 Dubai vs Serena, '10 Dubai vs Azarenka are ALL better performances from Venus than any of USO QF 05, 09, SF '10. And that's just from the top of my head.

Please stop.

:haha:

MrProdigy555
Dec 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Please stop.
I see not a single lie.

Tennisgucker
Dec 15th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm astonished. This thread is two weeks old and has 15 pages and still nobody has mentioned this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDMto0CSVQ (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDMto0CSVQ)

Tennisgucker
Dec 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Link above doesn't work. Second attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDMto0CSVQ

caboche
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:02 AM

Please stop.

Didn't Venus reach the final with only one round robin win ? I remember the 2009 YEC as a horrible tournament. Serena only had to show up to win it, the rest of the field was playing like horseshit.

Sammo
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Errani vs Venus Cincinnati 2012

Errani vs Serena US Open 2012

It's funny because it's true :lol:

XqckgDOgS9U

B-nxrWsqU0M

J4m3ka
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Didn't Venus reach the final with only one round robin win ? I remember the 2009 YEC as a horrible tournament. Serena only had to show up to win it, the rest of the field was playing like horseshit.

Yeah - the tournament itself ended up being a bit of a flop, but the RR match against Serena and RR match against Kuznetsova were Venus at a much higher level than the 09 USO QF / 10 SF.

UoLzLvy5rNw
sDuFWvcZPf4

dsanders06
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah - the tournament itself ended up being a bit of a flop, but the RR match against Serena and RR match against Kuznetsova were Venus at a much higher level than the 09 USO QF / 10 SF.

UoLzLvy5rNw
sDuFWvcZPf4

Take your advice and "please stop". Or, better yet, look up the stats for those horrendous quality YEC09 matches and compare them to the stats of the USO05 QF, so you can realise your heinous error of even suggesting they're comparable :lol:

J4m3ka
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Take your advice and "please stop". Or, better yet, look up the stats for those horrendous quality YEC09 matches and compare them to the stats of the USO05 QF, so you can realise your heinous error of even suggesting they're comparable :lol:

Horrendous quality, yet the uploader had to state this in the video description: "It was a great match, I had to cut off all the aces so that the video could be shorter than 15 mins" :spit:

Anyway, the videos speak volumes, and speak far more than dsander's delusional revisionist history will ever do. Venus moves like a corpse in the 09/10 USO matches in comparison to these, and her shots are no where near as penetrating and effective. Her energetic movement around the ball is practically non-existent in the '10 SF :haha:

PS: I said that the 05 QF was great in patches :kiss:

Anyway, to hopefully kill this myth once and for all, here are even more post 03 HC matches in which Venus plays better than the supposed holy grail that is USO 09 QF:

8MV2ZJKqGlw

DpkRM4NcygI

2fkqnl9Tg3Q

FAPCCTW3n14

J79FtIOHrfY

vi3jW3N7YpQ

6iVs8u2-OFg

D8-y1UOYsWk

HKmmqT0COwI

M5JnWNi4_sM

dsanders06
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Horrendous quality, yet the uploader had to state this in the video description: "It was a great match, I had to cut off all the aces so that the video could be shorter than 15 mins" :spit:

Anyway, the videos speak volumes, and speak far more than dsander's delusional revisionist history will ever do. Venus moves like a corpse in the 09/10 USO matches in comparison to these, and her shots are no where near as penetrating and effective. Her energetic movement around the ball is practically non-existent in the '10 SF :haha:

PS: I said that the 05 QF was great in patches :kiss:

Anyway, to hopefully kill this myth once and for all, here are even more post 03 HC matches in which Venus plays better than the supposed holy grail that is USO 09 QF:

8MV2ZJKqGlw

DpkRM4NcygI

2fkqnl9Tg3Q

FAPCCTW3n14

J79FtIOHrfY

vi3jW3N7YpQ

6iVs8u2-OFg

D8-y1UOYsWk

HKmmqT0COwI

M5JnWNi4_sM

What's the USO09 QF? :confused: That's why I assumed you meant the USO 05, because they didn't play in the QFs in '09.

If you mean the USO09 4R, then I explicitly said in a previous post that I thought that was a bad match and that I wasn't counting that as one of Venus's 3 best post-03 hardcourt matches :lol: Talk about a strawman argument.

JarkaFish
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:56 AM
A player can never beat the Williams Sisters, they and their fans always have an excuse, it's either they didn't play well or the player that beat them made "lucky shots".

:shrug:

JCTennisFan
Dec 16th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Holy video clip explosion! :crazy:

Craig.
Dec 16th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Errani vs Venus Cincinnati 2012

Errani vs Serena US Open 2012

It's funny because it's true :lol:

XqckgDOgS9U

B-nxrWsqU0M

It's actually hilarious how pressed you are by Errani :hysteric:

The Dawntreader
Dec 16th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Everyone should be.

Sammo
Dec 16th, 2012, 01:34 AM

Pressed? Moi? She's the one getting the constant beatdowns :oh:

Stonerpova
Dec 16th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Honestly, if Maria lost to Errani in a slam semifinal I'd be pressed AF too :lol:

Geisha
Dec 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I see not a single lie.

Ditto.

blistering
Dec 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Pressed? Moi? She's the one getting the constant beatdowns :oh:

Not from Stosur she isn't :oh: Sara even managed to bagel her :oh:

young_gunner913
Dec 16th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm just guessing she didn't cuz ya know it's Queen Bethanie :hysteric:

In a third set. :tears:

It's because of the injury, Bethanie was going to eat her alive but Radwanska got lucky as she usually does.

Not so much as injury as being worn out. She lead like 5-2 in the first set and it became a marathon for her just to win it in a TB. She just wore herself out in the first 2 sets. :tears:

She had. 81 winners and 65 UE vs. 29 winners and 13 UE.

Fuck me. And Aga. And Beth. :tears:

Royals.
Dec 16th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Honestly, if Maria lost to Errani in a slam semifinal I'd be pressed AF too :lol:

Don't blame you :lol:

new-york
Dec 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Venus played well in that match to be sure, but her level was quite erratic compared to her very best. She was consistently better in the USO05 against Kim / USO07 against Justine / USO10 against Kim, imo. I mean, Serena didn't even have to produce her best tennis of just that TOURNAMENT to get by her (she served and struck the ball better in the final).

She was never consistently better vs Justine at the USO 2007. If anything she resisted to hurricane Joost better than anyone but still could not do anything in Justine's service games until late in the set. She did play amazing to get it to a tiebreak. The second set was nothing like the first.

Vs Kim, she was the best player until losing her lead in the second set. She won what, 1 game in the third set. Losing at her peak? 1-6?

USO 10, Kim was a mess. Venus could have won playing routine tennis she was playing. She flopped in the tiebreak like I've never seen her flop. Losing at her peak?

<===================

hablo
Dec 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sharapova to Venus 05 Wimbledon SF

EL6ixMAh31E

I agree with this! :lol:

blistering
Dec 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
That Vinas-Jankovic QF at the 2007 USO sure made for one hell of a highlights reel but it was a shitfest for the most part. Jankovic was having a blast.

TPlaya8
Dec 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM

I do agree that her '07 QF with Jelena was low in quality until the 3rd Set but High in drama the whole match.Especially the 3rd set.

But as 2010 SF being Venus as well as she has played from grass post-2003 is not true at all. The biggest thing I should first indicate is her movement. Venus' movent at the 2010 US open is even a stark comparison to her movement just earlier that year.

Venus played better at the Open in 2007 and 2008. Infact to be honest if you go back and watch all of Venus' 2008 US Open matches I felt like Venus was winning with relative ease and seemed to be coasting through matches looking like she was barely trying and still beating opponenta easily until that QF wher(if you want to talk about ball striking) was out hitting Serena so easily to only choke the match away.

I think 2010 was a testament to truly how weak the field was and had Venus and kim been on opposite halfs they would have meet in the finals because no one in that tournament had the talent level they had!

SymphonyX
Dec 17th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Dementieva losing to Serena at Wimbledon 2009 semis. That was what I most vividly remembered. I feel that Serena should've lost that day because she kept losing rallies to Elena yet at crucial points, Serena took them as a seasoned GS champ does. That was the best and most rock-solid I've seen Elena play ever. I felt sad for her after that match. I think Elena would've lost to Venus in the final though, but perhaps she would've played for another year if she did reach it.

Also want to throw in the Sharapova-Henin YEC 2007 final. Maria played lights out tennis yet still lost to Justine. She ran out of gas mid in the third set.

TPlaya8
Dec 17th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Just to show how Venus movement really degressed in 2010 after that mid season knee injury I got the match vs Kim and vs Na

Venus vs Kim

sEjFS4dLeDw

Venus vs Na And look at the point at 1:52 Venus would not been able move like that in that US Open match even if she wanted to or tried to!

VnPvqES9YdQ

Stonerpova
Dec 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM
That Vinas-Jankovic QF at the 2007 USO sure made for one hell of a highlights reel but it was a shitfest for the most part. Jankovic was having a blast.

Yup. What a lot of people on here don't realize is that a 15 minute highlight reel does not equal a great match. The 2005 US Open QF between Clijsters and Venus was a shitfest of epic proportions but some people on here have made it out to be some sort of classic.

mikepails
Dec 17th, 2012, 07:51 PM
The Venus-Clijsters U.S Open quarterfinal in 2005 was a pretty good match. Not great but pretty good. Both had similar W-UE stats with the way those two defend is very good and quite rare in their encounters.

The Dawntreader
Dec 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Yup. What a lot of people on here don't realize is that a 15 minute highlight reel does not equal a great match. The 2005 US Open QF between Clijsters and Venus was a shitfest of epic proportions but some people on here have made it out to be some sort of classic.

It's not a classic, far from it, but the sporadic passages of play when the athleticism and shot-making was at a ridiculous high, is well worth recognition.

frenchie
Dec 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Myskina losing 76 in the third to JHH, Eastbourne Final 2006

Nastya was hitting huge during the grass season that year.
That was some of the best tennis I've ever seen her play.

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Woz :sobbing:

OVTGEtbPk0w

Brad[le]y.
Dec 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hingis-Pierce Canadian Open 1999. Pierce hit 41 winners and 12 UEs and Martina still won :bigwave:

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
y.;22601116']Hingis-Pierce Canadian Open 1999. Pierce hit 41 winners and 12 UEs and Martina still won :bigwave:

Brad peak Pierce NEVER loses.... She was just a level below her peak :haha:

JarkaFish
Dec 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
y.;22601116']Hingis-Pierce Canadian Open 1999. Pierce hit 41 winners and 12 UEs and Martina still won :bigwave:

In straights at that. Oh my, maybe I should watch that match some day.

Nalby fan
Dec 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Myskina losing 76 in the third to JHH, Eastbourne Final 2006

Nastya was hitting huge during the grass season that year.
That was some of the best tennis I've ever seen her play.

Glad someone mentioned this match.Having previously thought that Nastya was a non-factor on grass due to her dodgy serve,I was in awe of how well she played.

She looked damn sexy as well. :hearts:

frenchie
Dec 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Glad someone mentioned this match.Having previously thought that Nastya was a non-factor on grass due to her dodgy serve,I was in awe of how well she played.

She looked damn sexy as well. :hearts:

Nastya was always at her best on fast surfaces : grass and indoors

JCTennisFan
Dec 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Woz :sobbing:

OVTGEtbPk0w

The very first point on the highlights shows whats wrong with Woz.

Loopy forehand from Woz opens up the point for Li and she closes it out.

The story of Woz's career in a nutshell.