PDA

View Full Version : Was the 2012 US Open final a classic?

Thirty All
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Do you consider the 2012 US Open final between Serena and Azarenka a classic?

I don't. In my opinion, it is easily overshadowed by Venus-Hingis 2000, Henin-Capriati 2003, Henin-Venus 2007, and Azarenka-Stosur 2012.
Also, Clijster's retirement at the US Open overshadows the final.

Your opinions?

Gentleman
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM
I vote yes. And I am glad Serena won. She was at the edge of defeat, but relieved the power and won. :)

Brad[le]y.
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM
Not really IMO, Serena made way too many errors in that match.

2000 SF Venus vs. Hingis and 2003 SF Henin vs. Capriati were better IMO.

SerenaMJ
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
No. It was a match of errors on Serena's part, was it 45? It was just the biggest slump in Serena's game that I've seen for a while. I am just glad she won, I have no idea how she did it, but when it mattered most, suddenly her game came back to her and thanks God for that!

JarkaFish
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Not really, just another notch on Serena's belt.

Stamp Paid
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, Queen and Princess battling each other.

Fighterpova
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM
Quality wise no, but the drama was there, so I'll say yes :D

Stonerpova
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Not really. It was a very close match but they both didn't play well enough at the same time for it to be considered a classic.

JarkaFish
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:09 PM
The only shot I can remember was a forehand down the line Azarenka made while splitting.

Craig.
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
Lol no.

ZeroSumGame
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Quality wise no, but the drama was there, so I'll say yes :D

1)THIS!!!! Great shot making, often clutch but overall quality was may be 6 on a scale of 1-10 ...the suspense, back & forth flow in momentum makes for a thriller among many other finals :wavey:.

2) It is tops in terms of grand slam finals this year and prolly the best at the USO since Serena/Jankovic 2008:)

The Dawntreader
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Not at all.

Olórin
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:10 AM
Well it pretty much becomes classic by default because (1) it's historic in ending the unprecedented run of straight set US Open finals, i.e. it's a relative classic (2) and was a high-profile, competitive and long match which, however you view the quality, helps erase the memory of the Safina, Wozniacki late-slam car crashes.

Smitten
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Yes, Queen and Princess battling each other.

Girl, shut up. :lol:

No, it was not. Maybe if Azarenka was actually a good player and did more in the match. It was all Serena and if she would stop hitting returns halfway into the net and poor UE long.

Azarenka did fuck all (as usual).

Smitten
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Azarenka is just a watered down Capriati with 70% less finishing power. Her jig is up.

supertiebreak
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:55 AM
Girl, shut up. :lol:

Maybe if Azarenka was actually a good player and did more in the match.
Azarenka did fuck all (as usual).

LOL you're funny.:tape:

Charlatan
Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:20 AM
can't wait for some of you to put this match on the level of 05 Wimbledon final classic soon. TF :worship:

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Classic, yes. Best of the classics, no.

Pretty much as everyone's said, this match wasn't the highest-quality, but yet the drama it produced was incredible. The American crowd also really brought a great atmosphere to the match. Let's say, in quality, it would get a 5/10, but in drama, a 9/10. Furthermore, the match was extremely significant not only because it was a Grand Slam final (it was the first 3-setter final since 1995, and probably the most competitive since the 1985 final) but because it would also automatically decide who would become the player of the year (Both had won 1 Slam up to that point).

Due to its drama and match significance, I would definitely rate it a classic. But at the same time, it was not the "Best match ever" as some would say. Not even the best of the US Open, but it surely won its place among the top 5 best.

Adi1987
Dec 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
It isn't a classic, in terms of quality. However it is a significant match because, it is the first 3 set US Open final since 1995. :eek: