PDA

View Full Version : Which tournament is dumber?

GoDominique
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Vote!

antonella
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Not as dumb as this thread.

GOATdin0931
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
They should have had a Challenger Tour Finals for the women in the ITF! Maybe Oudin would have made it :hysteric:

Im kind of interested in the amount of points each player earned from ITFS now :scratch:

Natural Joe
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Sofia :shrug: I see nothing wrong with the Challenger Finals except that they gave a wildcard to Bellucci this year, but then again, two wildcards in Sofia are even worse.

danieln1
Dec 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Not as dumb as this thread.

:haha:

hingis-seles
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM
The Tournament of "Champions" is an even bigger joke than SEWTA itself. Which is saying something.

Jimmie48
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Sofia could be fixed easily. Hold it a week before the YEC, let the #11-20 play instead of irrelevant tournament winners and voila, a decent warm up for the YEC.

What makes it pointless is the current scheduling, ending the year with such a weak tournament is simply not smart.

FoWTA
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
WTA Qatar Airways Tournament of Champions Sofia is dumb of course, who would want to play inside when it's warm outside.

Jimmie48
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
WTA Qatar Airways Tournament of Champions Sofia is dumb of course, who would want to play inside when it's warm outside.

It's warm in Sofia in November? :confused:

King Halep
Dec 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Whether its #11-20 players or irrelevant tournament winners, noone cares. Main problem with this year's MM YEC is that they tried to make it look like any other indoor tournament. It does not have a unique setting anymore.

August
Dec 1st, 2012, 09:39 PM
WTA MM YEC is dumber. I don't see what's the point in having a tournament for mugs who don't make it to YEC.

ATP CTF at least brings at least a bit publicity for the lower-level circuit, WTA MM YEC is just another "International" level tournament, with just having a 8 player RR format instead of more typical 32-player draw.

GOATdin0931
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Someone should calculate the challenger rankings for the WTA :oh:

Royals.
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:20 PM
Sofia! AWFUL Tourney. So pointless.

Nicolás89
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Not as dumb as Brussels. :oh:

Scola
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:30 AM
WTA MM YEC is dumber. I don't see what's the point in having a tournament for mugs who don't make it to YEC.

ATP CTF at least brings at least a bit publicity for the lower-level circuit, WTA MM YEC is just another "International" level tournament, with just having a 8 player RR format instead of more typical 32-player draw.

agree on this. With Challenger Finals I can see the idea behind it, as you said. Altough it still has some holes - when players randomly luck out on ATP (e.g Janowicz) and suddenly feel it's below their level take a part.

But why helping girls, who narrowly missed on YEC? Or give 2 wildcards.

yet, I voted ¨equally dumb¨, cuz I don't find any of them necessary.

Trickle
Dec 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
I picked the third option but having read the responses I conceed that you're right. A Challenger version of the Year End Champions is great publicity for the low level circuit. They should scratch Sofia and do that instead.

andyjason
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Tournament of Champions is quite hilarious.
Winner of an international event can play but a premier event can't play.
WC is also dumb, as you only have 8 spots and you give 2 WC to two players who haven't won a title.

nevetssllim
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:30 PM

Then I'm guessing the WTA Champs is even dumber as it was 22-23C and sunny in Istanbul when it was on.

jonny84
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
I agree it is a bit dumb that the tournament gives WCs to people who arent champions or have won an event in that calender year (such as Pironkova).

It is anti-climatic also to have the tournament before the YEC.

It is a tournament that looks good on paper, but in reality isn't.