PDA

View Full Version : Carrie Underwood casts as Maria Von Trapp in NBC's "The Sound of Music". Yay or Nay?

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/carrie-underwood-cast-as-maria-in-new--sound-of-music--180318311.html
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/wTrKVNTNoCE4JZ4stooGAg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTkyMztjcj0xO2N3PTIyNDQ7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ3MjtxPTg1O3c9NTUx/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/30655795b59e6021220f6a706700aeca.jpg
Next year's holiday season will have televisions everywhere alive with "The Sound of Music" -- as sung by Carrie Underwood.
How do you solve a problem like casting Maria, a role made so iconic by Julie Andrews, in the new NBC version of the musical?
Only by tapping a singer as popular as Underwood, a country superstar and "American Idol" winner.
"Speaking for everyone at NBC, we couldn't be happier to have the gifted Carrie Underwood take up the mantle of the great Maria von Trapp," said head of NBC Entertainment Robert Greenblatt.

Based on a true story, "Sound of Music" revolves around Maria, a nun who becomes a governess for the seven children of widower Captain von Trapp. They fall in love, but the shadow of World War II threatens their future.
Maria von Trapp "was an iconic woman who will now be played by an iconic artist," Greenblatt said.
This will be Underwood's first major lead acting role; she's appeared on "How I Met Your Mother" and in the film "Soul Surfer."
She isn't the only "Idol" alum to graduate to acting. Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar for her role in the movie "Dreamgirls," and will be starring on NBC's "Smash" with Katharine McPhee. Constantine Maroulis and Clay Aiken have both enjoyed stage success. And recent season contestants Paul McDonald and Jessica Sanchez appeared on "Parenthood" and "Glee," respectively.
[Related: Watch an extended preview of 'Smash' with McPhee and Hundson]
NBC's take on the Rogers and Hammerstein classic will be based on the original Broadway show, which starred Mary Martin. It will premiere sometime in the 2013 holiday season.
Wonder who'll play the captain?

Carrie :cheer: We all know the original will never be topped. But I'm excited to see Carrie in this.:cheer: Hope she won't be too country-ish for Maria.:lol:

Anyone else likes this?

Yoncé
Dec 1st, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm not to sure :unsure: I bloody loved The Sound of Music, at one stage I think I knew it word for word :tears: I hope she's not to country for the role as well, that's basically the biggest concern.

delicatecutter
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
God I love Carrie. :inlove:

The Dawntreader
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Always a sing of decline/desperation when a recording artist retreats to musical theatre.

wild.river
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
i think she'd be really good as maria! as long as she controls the twang.

goOudinUSA
Dec 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Carrie is amazing with any project she does!!

Sam L
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM
I can see her as Maria.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:16 AM
Always a sing of decline/desperation when a recording artist retreats to musical theatre.
Not for a country artist.:shrug:

Carrie is amazing with any project she does!!
Yeah. She rarely flops. But hope not for this.:lol:

I can see her as Maria.
How about Mariah being Maria?:rolls:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Let's get a taste of Carrie singing The Sound of Music.:cheer:
wPUvPT_TiPs

Seems like there's considerable amount of people who disapproves this performance.:unsure: But not Tony Bennett for sure.:oh:

Cineast
Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:24 AM
I think they should make a version of The Sound of Music in which the Nazis successfully prevent the Von Trapps from escaping. :devil:

goOudinUSA
Dec 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM
Was just informed that this will be broadcasted live...

GL Carrie!

goOudinUSA
Dec 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM
hmmm. why is video not working for me?

Is it working for anyone else?

SilverPersian
Dec 2nd, 2012, 05:56 AM
It's difficult for me to imagine anyone but the original cast in that movie. There's no doubt Carrie's got a better voice than Julie Andrews, but as other have said, she might be a little bit too country, and we'll have to wait and see how her acting skills go ...

Dani12
Dec 2nd, 2012, 06:53 AM
Hopefully she's a better actress than she was in How I Met Your Mother, not a bad choice :)

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
It's difficult for me to imagine anyone but the original cast in that movie. There's no doubt Carrie's got a better voice than Julie Andrews, but as other have said, she might be a little bit too country, and we'll have to wait and see how her acting skills go ...

Interesting opinion :).

SilverPersian
Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
^Well, in terms of control, strength and range, I'm pretty sure Carrie would be better to see live (controversial, maybe ... :))

On the other hand, Julie has a sort of sweetness to her voice that is perfect for this role (and Mary Poppins). Will be interesting to see how Carrie pulls it off.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Carrie's weakness is she sometimes come across as a little stiff (as in being robotic at times) in her stage presence/vocals. I mean she definitely sounds great and can work the stage but you don't see her singing and dancing around like Julie Andrews, who has portrayed Maria like she should've been portrayed (sweet, cheerful etc.).

wild.river
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
I think they should make a version of The Sound of Music in which the Nazis successfully prevent the Von Trapps from escaping. :devil:

Or the actual ending where the von trapps get lost and die of starvation in the alps :o

Sammo
Dec 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Too bad she isn't a slut, otherwise people would call her Maria von Trampp

edificio
Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Too wooden and kind of cold. :shrug: Ultimately? Don't care. We'll always have the original. :)

Ewww, I just listened to the YouTube link. Too harsh and so unnatural and studied. Horrible breath control, too, and she can barely make the notes.

...There's no doubt Carrie's got a better voice than Julie Andrews, but as other have said, she might be a little bit too country, and we'll have to wait and see how her acting skills go ...

:haha:

Arguable. You just like it better.

Cineast
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:05 AM
Or the actual ending where the von trapps get lost and die of starvation in the alps :o
It's the story of one courageous woman's battle against bulimia, set against the backdrop of the Donner Party crossing.

wild.river
Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:31 AM
It's the story of one courageous woman's battle against bulimia, set against the backdrop of the Donner Party crossing.

:sobbing:

Rocketta
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
Why try to make it just like the original...???? Carrie is stiff in her bones... Julie Andrews wasn't stiff just british..... Also, if Carrie is the big name/voice who are they going to cast as the children? :scared:

skanky~skanketta
Dec 3rd, 2012, 05:41 AM
Well, better Carrie than Rihanna.

Rocketta
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:07 AM
Well, better Carrie than Rihanna.

Well true but that's like saying better Carrie than me, I can't sing either! :o

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Dame Julie's voice at her best was so beautiful :tears:.

8yC_voMY6kY