PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana's 2013 Down Under swing

networthy
Nov 30th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I thought it was time to migrate from Mirjana's "2012 American summer" thread...

kfh_9118
Nov 30th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Good luck for the new season, Miki :bounce:

networthy
Nov 30th, 2012, 08:36 AM
For the past two years, Mirjana's ranking has been stuck in a relatively narrow range of ~85-130 and mostly ~100-120.

She'll have an excellent opportunity to improve her ranking early next year. During the first two and a half months, she's defending only 40 points (at the AO). Will she take advantage of it?

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM
For the past two years, Mirjana's ranking has been stuck in a relatively narrow range of ~85-130 and mostly ~100-120.

She'll have an excellent opportunity to improve her ranking early next year. During the first two and a half months, she's defending only 40 points (at the AO). Will she take advantage of it?

I would so love to see her do well!!!

MLF
Dec 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm glad she made the main draw of the Open automatically. It's such a long trip that you really need the main draw prize money to cover it. Hopefully she'll get her warm up matches in via the qualies of the WTA warm events and make a couple of main draws that way.

tennismaster8820
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mirjana never started the year well.
Can that change?
I would so love it to happen.
Good luck!

MLF
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mirjana never started the year well.
Can that change?
I would so love it to happen.
Good luck!

She's definitely a player who needs a heap of matches to find her game. Lots of practice matches required in her December training I'd say ;)

ajmo!
Dec 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM
She's already working hard for 2013! :)

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391966_498266313527507_1063505442_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/45355_498266570194148_2061133904_n.jpg

tennismaster8820
Dec 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Legs looking strong! :yeah:

jaylucic
Dec 8th, 2012, 10:22 AM
does anyone know which tournaments is Miki playing before the Australian open?

jaylucic
Dec 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Is Mirjana working with Prpic now?

ajmo!
Dec 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/526861_499757800045025_372426246_n.jpg

mikireturns
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Well, she's certainly looking as fit as she has ever looked in her comeback; possibly fitter than ever. She looks stronger, more toned.

No one can say she has not been committed to working extremely hard.

Hopefully, this hard work will translate to that extra bit of confidence she needs to take that handful of key matches that would put her close to the Top 50 or Top 60, where (in my opinion) her big game has really belonged, at least based on hard work and raw talent.

Working on the mental side of things is her biggest need, but it's mainly a confidence trick.

She simply has to win more matches -- not even against big stars, but against the questionable players ranked below her. If she can eliminate the ugly losses to players like Larriere and Larcher de Brito, her confidence will skyrocket and we could see her break out of this 100-130 ranking plateau.

Also, she needs to suck it up and play more high-end Challengers early next season, and play them with hunger for points. Getting that ranking up around 70-80 before the start of the Euro clay season is so so so "do-able" for her. Even if she has to sacrifice a few WTA qually events and play ITF draws. Better to get QF or SF points at $50-100K ITFs than snuff-out in WTA qually rounds, where the work is twice as hard and the rewards minimal.

Draw gods? She'll get good draws and lousy ones, as usual. She has not exactly taken advantage of cakewalk draws, so I don't think draw worries get anything accomplished. If only she can live up to her seeding consistently (in ITF events and WTA quallies) she would see a significant leap up the charts.

Best of luck to her, and especially at the Grand Slams, for a change. If she can win just one round at each of the majors this year, PRESTO!

mic12
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Working on the mental side of things is her biggest need, but it's mainly a confidence trick.

Exactly! I think it's so great to see her working so hard on the physical end of things, and hopefully that will pay off.
But I hope she is working just as hard on the mental side of things which has been her downfall.

ajmo!
Dec 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I don't think much will change in her schedule. She'll probably go to Australia and play Brisbane and Sydney Q and AOpen MD. After that challenger in Midland, WTA Memphis and IW and Miami.
But it would maybe be interesting to go to clay earlier this year, even skip IW and Miami(yes, I know she won't do it, but she could). There is a WTA tournament in Cali(125k) and in Bogota, those always have extremely weak draws. and maybe to back those up with a challenger or two in USA and Charleston and fly to Europe after it.
She's better on clay than on hard in last year, in her career also( Rome SF, two WTA titles) so it could be good idea.
And in Europe she should play Estoril, Fes and such a tournaments if she's all about points, Yes, glamour is in Stuttgart and Madrid, but when you're around 100th in rankings, points and success are in Colombia, Morocco, Portgual...

mikireturns
Dec 10th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I don't think much will change in her schedule. She'll probably go to Australia and play Brisbane and Sydney Q and AOpen MD. After that challenger in Midland, WTA Memphis and IW and Miami.
But it would maybe be interesting to go to clay earlier this year, even skip IW and Miami(yes, I know she won't do it, but she could). There is a WTA tournament in Cali(125k) and in Bogota, those always have extremely weak draws. and maybe to back those up with a challenger or two in USA and Charleston and fly to Europe after it.
She's better on clay than on hard in last year, in her career also( Rome SF, two WTA titles) so it could be good idea.
And in Europe she should play Estoril, Fes and such a tournaments if she's all about points, Yes, glamour is in Stuttgart and Madrid, but when you're around 100th in rankings, points and success are in Colombia, Morocco, Portgual...

I think you're absolutely correct about the clay strategy. It would be great to see her do something a little more "outside the box" in that regard. Those fast & medium fast hard courts should be so ideal for her big game, but the fact is that she moves much more fluidly on clay (surely because she grew up on it). Also, I think clay forces her to be just a little more patient ... To wait until "pulling the trigger" with her huge shots. Still, she practices predominantly on hard courts. Let's hope she starts the season with a fresh focus, hungry to hurt the other girls.

That training regimen has GOT to be giving her added confidence. Truly, I don't think she has ever looked more fit/athletic.

Whatever the case, just one lovely run early in the season could break her year wide open. I have always felt she is just so so SO close to the sort of "hit" that would propel her back to the Top 50. I do believe if she had beaten Vinci at W this year ... That would have galvanized her whole career. Getting to the last 16 of a Slam again.

Really hope she gets some traction early-on, as well as some nifty draws. Mostly, hope she has fun. She can be proud of her comeback, whether No. 50 in the world or No. 105. How many people on earth can say they were regularly one of the 100 best on the entire planet at their profession?

Mirjana can say it ... She has spent most of the last 2 years as a Top 100 talent in a very deep field. She can absolutely go higher. Good luck to her.

mikireturns
Dec 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Mirjana is now certifiably "hyphenated" -- she will be playing officially from now on as Mirjana Lucic-Baroni, and ranked/seeded/entered in events accordingly.

Hope the alteration adds a lovely element of luck for her in 2013 and beyond. New name ... New successes ;-)

ajmo!
Dec 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KMJTOOzLNQo&feature=endscreen
oh man I'm dreaming of seeing Mirjana play like Mary.
Now that she's looking like her(hair and eye- glasses) she could eb there :p visor is the only thing preventing her from being top player :lol:

mikireturns
Dec 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=KMJTOOzLNQo&feature=endscreen
oh man I'm dreaming of seeing Mirjana play like Mary.
Now that she's looking like her(hair and eye- glasses) she could eb there :p visor is the only thing preventing her from being top player :lol:

Yep. This was fun to read from you, and great to see that clip. Tennis matches live forever, eh.

I'd have to dig through the heap of nonsense I have strewn, but there is a big "Mary Pierce reference" I also once made in Mirjana's regard.

If any game contemporary to hers could be referenced, I do believe it was Mirjana/Mary ... even down to the wicked fathers.

Always enjoyed Pierce, for that "wild, dangerous horse" thoroughbred factor -- which I also believe Mirjana shared BIG time. I often saw Pierce as a cipher of Lucic, and vice versa. Mirjana, frankly, had perhaps a little more talent than Pierce, in my opinion. Both with that desperate, devastating inside-out flat forehand and a big-but-brainless backhand.

Spilled milk.

Mirjana could have been "up there" regularly -- competing with Mary and Lindsay and the rest.

Time was robbed, but she still has some power; something special can still happen for Lucic. I would question anyone who really doubts that possibility.

What memories of Lindsay, though. Such impeccable strokes. But even after she got skinnier than sin itself, she was not a good mover. Her poor anticipation robbed her of probably five or six slams. Most brutal strokes (technically) since Evert, but with none of Evert's uncanny anticipation and fabulous footwork skills. Idiots now watch old clips and think Evert was a "pusher" when, for her time, she was in fact murderously aggressive from the baseline ... dictated to kill her opponent.

Mirjana had/has some explosive Steffi brilliance, I always thought. She absolutely would have been contending for big titles (like Pierce) had her talent been nurtured, instead of abused. But she could still have a breakout season, mentally, and do something stunning. I would never rule that out for Lucic.

Obviously, Slam titles are not the likeliest, but I am convinced she could haul-off and win a possibly prestigious WTA title, or reach the quarters of a Slam.

In 2013, she absolutely has the skill and experience and guts to break out of her obstacles and finish a season in the Top 60.

Best of luck to her: people don't realize, but it's amazing that she got back to the Top 100 and has actually managed to cling to its edges for almost three consecutive years. Hope she has a great time fighting this new year.

ajmo!
Dec 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Movement, footwork- bigeest factor. because if you look at other elements of the game she has them, she just not there yet. movement not, and she knows that. prpic and mirjana are working extra hard, hopefully it will pay off. one win in australia md could do wonders

tennismaster8820
Dec 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Best of luck to her: people don't realize, but it's amazing that she got back to the Top 100 and has actually managed to cling to its edges for almost three consecutive years. Hope she has a great time fighting this new year.

Yes, not many people realise this!
It's a special achievement after so much time spent out of tennis.

ajmo!
Dec 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Yes it is, I remember how ultra exciting was it for me when she first passed qualies for a 25k, then year later when she had first significant result and Las Vegas 50k SF. She was miles away from TOP100, from WTA level at the time.
2 years she was going from one small town to another, beating some local girls and getting crushed by majority of serious players. But she stayed in there, kept fighting and reward came in Birmingham 2010. It was super great to see her winning matches from then on. She had great second part of 2010, big points scored then.

mikireturns
Dec 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, movement is her biggest physical conundrum. I mean, she's in super shape, athletically, and she deserves a lot of props for putting in the hard work. But her footwork is a mystery. Athletes can be in great shape and still need to develop particular skills.

Mirjana's main problem, technically (not mentally), in my opinion, is that she really lacks that explosive first movement. That's why her return-game is such a disaster, at times, and why her service games (with such a big serve as a weapon, like she's got) are fraught with drama.

She hits a big serve and then does not have that explosive "first reaction" movement to get herself into position to take charge of the point. Sometimes she's better at this than others, obviously, and it depends upon the quality of the opponent. On return games, same thing, but it's more a case of how her lack of explosive movement leaves her out of position for accurate returns.

There are ways to work on this and a wise coach (like Prpic) could pinpoint this and help her make some great things happen. It could be the thing that gets her over the proverbial hump.

She certainly deserves whatever success comes her way, with such hard work. I mean, who really thought in 2008 and even 2009 that we would see Mirjana beating one of the Top 10 players in the world again. At a Grand Slam, no less.

That's no small accomplishment, nor was it a fluke. She had to win 4 matches to get that 5th win. That was basically winning a nice tournament. They really need to start awarding Quality Points again. It would make the girls' game more interesting (and accurate) and I, for one, would enjoy the new twists and turns it would put back into the rankings equation.

tennismaster8820
Dec 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I would really like to know where Mirjana starts the year, I guess it's not known yet?

SERVivor
Dec 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm getting excited for the new season seeing these photos of a very fit Lucic-Baroni and reading the posts of my fellow fans. To significantly improve her ranking in the short term, all she has to do is win one match at the Australian Open and maybe one or two matches in the main draws of the A. Open warm-ups. Playing Midland and Memphis is a good idea, as Mirjana excells on fast indoor. Also, I think the poster who said she should play a couple of the early Clay tournaments was right on. Cadanatu?(Spelling) made the final of the Columbia clay court tournament, and Duque-Marino has won it in the past. Mirjana should play that tournament for sure. I also think the Clay tournament in Monterrey, Mexico would be a smart move as well.

mikireturns
Dec 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, a fast start is crucial for her, and one has to beliee she can do it. Gosh, she looks so super-fit and has worked so hard.

I will be crossing fingers for good draws in Winter/Spring for her. If she can nab one Oz Open win, that would be marvelous, but we would all like to see a string of wins, of course ;-).

She simply cannot be sidetracked by lower-ranked players like Larriere, last year, for example. That match is online, and for students of Mirjana's game, watching it is a lesson in how her focus has betrayed her in certain matches.

I hope Prpic is helping her mentality, along with any technical issues, and I hope she really has fun out there and finds that next level.

I believe that, when Mirjana finds that next level, it will not be a leap from #105 to just #75 or 80.

It really will be a leap into the Top 50. The talent is there, the hard work is there.

Gosh, I hope the stars align for her ... And for her fans.

And yes, the more clay the better. But I could absolutely see Mirjana breaking out and winning an entire event like Memphis.

Best of luck, Lucic-Baroni. She's still young and determined, and I have to admire it.

ajmo!
Dec 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Believe, Allistair McCaw ( Mirjana is working with him on her fitness) is well aware of what Mirjana has to do. Hope it will all work out for 2013.

Having good movement is a vital to being a better player. These days the very best players in the world are looking for coaches and trainers to help them move better.
The days of having just a 'fitness trainer' who can lead you around the gym and throw in a couple of speed drills are quickly coming to an end. This game is about movement first and the best players are seeking experts in this area.

So for this week, start by looking for an area in your players movement that can be improved and go to work on it.
One of the best ways to do this is to video record a few points of the player and then watch them move in slow motion.

Look for one thing that can be improved, no more (for example the legs or body position) Then have the player work on those movements without racquet in hand first.
So for example, if it's their recovery from a wide court position movement that needs work, then maybe they need to load their outside leg a little more to get a better push off.
From there, progress to the player having racquet in hand performing the movement numerous times over (no ball in play).

This week the focus is on improving one movement specific.

ajmo!
Dec 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=411206755614218
Don't know if u can see the video, but she's working hard!

mikireturns
Dec 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=411206755614218
Don't know if u can see the video, but she's working hard!

That's excellent and also: the piece about movement training.

I love it -- it isolates specific split second things that a player might never notice, which could lead to a key improvement.

Mirjana remains a hero for working so hard and hopefully a very "next level" year is ahead for her.

spiceboy
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
does anyone know which tournaments is Miki playing before the Australian open?

Shenzhen MD and Sydney Q

tennismaster8820
Dec 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Shenzhen MD and Sydney Q

That's good schedule, I like it.
Hopefully she will get kind draw in her first event and maybe start wit a win.

ajmo!
Dec 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM
Good move to try to go to China, nice variation. GL ;)

ajmo!
Dec 23rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Here are some players in TOP 100 compered to Mirjana in 2012:
MIRJANA LUCIC
2012 W/L: 34/27
2012 GS Results: AO:QR1, RG:1R, WIM:3R, US:1R
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 8
2012 WTA MD Wins: 7
2012 Biggest Achievement: Wimbledon R3
2012 Best Win: #9 Marion Bartoli in Wimbledon
2012 Remarkable Flop: Hasn't won any tournament

KIMIKO DATE KRUMM

2012 W/L: 33/24
2012 GS Results: AO:1R, RG:1R, WIM:1R, US:1R
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 3
2012 WTA MD Wins: 2
2012 Biggest Achievement: Won 3 ITFs (Dubai 75k$, Gifu 50k$ and Quanzhou 50k$)
2012 Best Win: Polona Hercog(36) during Fed Cup Week 1
2012 Remarkable Flop: Losing Streak from Prague ITF (14th May 2012) to Limoges ITF (15th October 2012)

MARIA TERESA TORRO-FLOR

2012 W/L: 60/14
2012 GS Results: AO:--, RG:--, WIM:--, US:QR128
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 4
2012 WTA MD Wins: 0
2012 Biggest Achievement: Won 7 ITFs (Olomouc 100k$, Bucharest 100k$)
2012 Best Win: Barbora Zahlavova(60) in Olomouc ITF
2012 Remarkable Flop: Hasn't won WTA MD match

MISAKI DOI
2012 W/L: 32/31
2012 GS Results: AO:QR128, RG:QR64, WIM:1R, US:QR128
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 5
2012 WTA MD Wins: 10
2012 Biggest Achievement: Semifinal in Osaka (WTA International)
2012 Best Win: Francesca Schiavone(27) in Birmingham
2012 Remarkable Flop: Hasn't won GS MD match

STEFANIE VOEGELE
2012 W/L: 46/24
2012 GS Results: AO:1R, RG:QR64, WIM:QR64, US:1R
2012 Biggest Achievement: Won 2 ITFs (Toyota 75k$, Clermont-Ferrand 25k$)
2012 Best Win: Jarmila Gajdosova(40) during Fed Cup Week 1
2012 Remarkable Flop: None

LAUREN DAVIS

2012 W/L: 46/19
2012 GS Results: AO:--, RG:2R, WIM:--, US:QR64
2012 WTA MD Wins: 4
2012 Biggest Achievement: Quarterfinal in Quebec City (WTA International)
2012 Best Win: Yanina Wickmayer(27) in Quebec City
2012 Remarkable Flop: Has played only 1 GS MD

ALEXANDRA CADANTU
2012 W/L: 23/28
2012 GS Results: AO:1R, RG:1R, WIM:1R, US:1R
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 9
2012 WTA MD Wins: 10
2012 Biggest Achievement: Final in Monterrey (WTA International)
2012 Best Win: Alize Cornet(55) in Palermo
2012 Remarkable Flop: Won only 8 games in 4 GS matches, hasn't won match since Tashkent (10th September 2012)

MANDY MINELLA
2012 GS Results: AO:1R, RG:1R, WIM:1R, US:3R
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 7
2012 WTA MD Wins: 11
2012 Biggest Achievement: 3rd Round at US Open
2012 Best Win: Carla Suarez Navarro(38) in Bad Gastein
2012 Remarkable Flop: Hasn't won any tournament

ANNIKA BECK
2012 W/L: 62/16
2012 GS Results: AO:--, RG:QR128, WIM:1R, US:QR128
2012 Biggest Achievement: Won 6 ITFs (Shrewsbury, Barnstaple and Ismaning 75k$)
2012 Best Win: Aleksandra Wozniak(57) in Stuttgart
2012 Remarkable Flop: Hasn't won any GS MD match

NINA BRATCHIKOVA

2012 W/L: 32/30
2012 GS Results: AO:3R, RG:3R, WIM:1R, US:1R
2012 WTA MD Wins: 9
2012 Biggest Achievement: 3rd Round at Australian Open and Roland Garros
2012 Best Win: Flavia Pennetta(20) at Australian Open
2012 Remarkable Flop: Didn't win a match from Monterrey (20th February) to Cagnes-Sur-Mer ITF (7th May 2012)

KRISTINA MLADENOVIC

2012 W/L: 30/26
2012 GS Results: AO:QR64, RG:1R, WIM:1R, US:3R
2012 TOP 100 Wins: 5
2012 WTA MD Wins: 5
2012 Biggest Achievement: Semifinal in Quebec City (WTA International)
2012 Best Win: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova(20) at US Open
2012 Remarkable Flop: Didn't win a match from Australian Open (16th January 2012) to Osprey ITF (26th March 2012)

Looking at the numbers and stats. I do believe Mirjana should be in TOP100!

frenchie
Dec 23rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
she should be with a smarter schedule

Ollie.
Dec 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Mirjana seems to have withdrawn from the Shenzhen MD, according to post #179 here. :(

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471390&page=12

ajmo!
Dec 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
FUCK. It was weak field.

mikireturns
Dec 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM
TOTAL bummer for Mirjana. Chance to start the year with a main draw berth and very winnable match-ups.

Why do I have a feeling this may be due to the HORRIBLE airport and travel nightmares we've been having from the Midwest to the East Coast the last few days? Cancellations across the board in terms of flights, due to atrocious weather.

Hope she makes it to Sydney.

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Well this just sucks. Really hope its not injury related.

mikireturns
Dec 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Aye yi yi. What a weak draw at Shenzen. Opportunities galore for everyone.

Still, one never knows where Lucic-B might have landed.

One would have to think her travel plans were snagged by inclement US weather (as opposed to injury) because just showing up and losing in the first-round (or retiring with an injury) would have netted her over $3,100.

Now she'll have to duke-it-out against a tough and thankless qualifying field in Sydney (if she makes it there).

Hopefully, 2013 will not be another year of "Missed Opportunity" for M-LuBar.

Not a good start -- Shenzen was a huge missed opportunity in every way.

Oh well.

ajmo!
Dec 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Mirjana's on her way to Down Under right now.

Last day of 2012, ahead of 2013 only one message for Mirjana and her fans:

Who endures, he succeeds! Courage is good, but endurance is better. My prayers are with you!

mikireturns
Dec 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
^ Yep. True.

Really hope she gets a great draw in the Sydney quallies. So many of the Top 50 girls seem particularly rusty coming out of the gate this year: Woz, Stosur, McHale, Safarova, etc. while the Pervaks and Parmentiers and Svitolinas are hungry.

Hope Mirjana can get some traction. Good luck to her and her fans -- Happy New Year, as well.

networthy
Jan 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sydney Q draw is out. Mirjana plays Cepelova in QR1. Winner plays Hlavackova or Kr Pliskova.

Good luck!

ajmo!
Jan 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hope she starts with a win.

rucolo
Jan 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Best of luck in 2013, Mirjana ! ;)

Please qualify for Sydney MD and win a match at Aus Open :hehehe:

croat123
Jan 3rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
good luck. first tournament as mirjana lucic-baroni :)

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM
well, she was up a break. then she double faulted 5 times. 4*-5 and first serve % falling fast

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:30 AM
ugh 5-7

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:37 AM
fight back, Miki :fiery:

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
breaks to start the second set, but broken right away

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Well, she's up a break and serving 1-0 in the second set.

Let's hope the first set got her obviously wonky nerves worked-out and she can go on to take this ~very~ winnable match.

Shame she missed valuable match play in Shenzhen.

Let's go, Lucic-B! Play some tennis, here.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM
about to be broken again :mad:

0 ace :eek:
7 DFs :tape:

her serves must be really bad today

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM
broke again, noone held serves in this second set.

*3-2

c'mon Miki, hold here

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Break point for MLB again ... Get in your groove, girl. Come on.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:01 AM
important 7th game in the 2nd set.
Miki already wasted several BP chances in this game.

Got a feeling if she can't break here, she will give up in the next few games and lost the match :scared:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:04 AM
ANOTHER bp! Take it, Lucic-B.

Really, from year to year, Mirjana knows how to bring the drama.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM
lost count of how many BPs she wasted in this game.
such a long game :scared:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM
So many bps this game ... Really, it's mind-boggling. At least she is fighting, apparently.

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
She lost another bp ... And promptly gets another one.

For God's sake, Mirjana -- CONVERT

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM
:woohoo: finally she prevails in that game

hope it gives her confidence now

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:12 AM
FINALLY! What a good fight, but what madness, too.

Hope she can regroup on the changeover and get pumped-up now.

A little wind beneath her wings would be nice, at this point.

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Also gets an ace at LAST! Game point.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:15 AM
finally someone holds serve in the second set :lol:

keep fighting, Miki :bounce:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Set point ... Real mental turnaround from Miki.

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:19 AM
:yeah: great fighting in the second set.

Please keep the momentum going for the final set

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Well done to take the second set 6-3! Her resolve ought to be steady, now.

Cepelova is rueing the day she played that 7th game.

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Bet they're taking a third-set heat break. :-\

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Mirjana's BP conversion-rate in that set was still pretty scary. 5 of 15 BPs.

Hope she gets a good pep talk from her coach during his break. Surely he will tell her to keep her foot on the gas.

Let's hope Celelova obsesses over that disastrous 7th game.

May it wriggle into her brain like a worm ~

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM
up 2-0 in the third, but 0-40 :(

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:37 AM
saves two and the dfs :(

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM
and now cepelova holds to love after being broken 6 times in a row...2-2

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM
major collapse from Miki at the moment, after leading the final set 2-0 :rolleyes:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:42 AM
WTH? Where did she wander off to?

Down 0-30. About to lose her third straight game.

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:44 AM
gets down 15-40 with a df, then hits a second serve ace and ends up holding. 3-2

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Thank heaven she held on there. That ought to cool Cepelova's jets a bit.

What a weird match. (or IS it, considering it's Miki?)

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:48 AM
she gets the break again, 4-2. now she has to hold :scared:

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:51 AM
df number 12 to go down 15-40

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:52 AM
broken :sad:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Man, what is she DOING?

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 01:58 AM
4-4.

She had better pull it together, here. Pull out all the stops and focus.

The Infamous Lucic Roller-Coaster of Horror skids into 2013

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:03 AM
5-4.

Good grief. Cepelova will hopefully be nervous serving to stay IN IT!

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:06 AM
This is too much.:worship:

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Oh ... disastrous.

croat123
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:15 AM
disaster...1-5
better luck in sydney miki...really should have won this

kfh_9118
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:17 AM
lost :o

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 02:20 AM
On the bright side, she got three tough sets of tennis in.

On the not-so-bright: she just flat-out blew it. Another loss against a lesser-ranked player after being in so many positions to win.

Poor Mirjana. She must want to throw up right about now.

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 03:22 AM
At least, with the way she fought til the end (even though she ended-up beating herself) makes me believe she could win a round at the Oz Open with the right draw.

Let this be the year Mirjana gets MD wins at the Aussie and the French, which have eluded her thus far.

Though the way she lost this match will do no favors for her confidence, she did get 2 & 1/2 hours of competition.

Also, she must know she could/should have won this match 6-4 6-3 or at least 5-7 6-3 6-3.

I think she's going to get a big win in Melbourne. Mark my words.

The DFs, however, must go. Oh boy. 13.

GL, Mrs. Baroni. Work with your coach. Correct the crappiness. Play hard in Melbourne.

ajmo!
Jan 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
FUCK! Really never get this kind off serving on the start of the year. In off season it's easiest to practice serve, still it's always really weak.
Really bad. Expected her to win in straight sets.

markdelaney
Jan 4th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Disappointing result but at least it was close and the way she starts each year is usually very rusty !. I cheered myself up by watching the match against Seles from Wimbledon 99. Barely an unforced error, competing in 18 stroke rallies and winning half of them with winners, looking good at the net, making drop shots, serving brilliantly, especially when needed. Her serve is awful now and wipes away any advantage she gets from her returns and keeps the opponent in the match, when they should already be back in the locker room. I'd like her to draw a top player at the Australian open rather than an outside court against someone of similar ranking who will probably beat her 6-4 6-2 after being 2-4 down.

tennismaster8820
Jan 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Shame about this match, lost it mentaly obviously. :(

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Disappointing result but at least it was close and the way she starts each year is usually very rusty !. I cheered myself up by watching the match against Seles from Wimbledon 99. Barely an unforced error, competing in 18 stroke rallies and winning half of them with winners, looking good at the net, making drop shots, serving brilliantly, especially when needed. Her serve is awful now and wipes away any advantage she gets from her returns and keeps the opponent in the match, when they should already be back in the locker room. I'd like her to draw a top player at the Australian open rather than an outside court against someone of similar ranking who will probably beat her 6-4 6-2 after being 2-4 down.

Yes, this was an ugly loss in terms of its "mental momentum" and, yes, it's frustrating for those who have been following her results closely for 3, 4 years (or more), now.

Part of the frustration is that we know (and I daresay she knows) that "the talent is SO there" due to seeing her produce fabulous tennis in her malformed youth, when her game was still in its formative stages.

But we also know it because we see how very often she has been able to put herself into "no-brainer" winning positions against so many players. She'll routinely get big leads that players in the Top 50-70 never let "slide" and that is the difference between a perennial Top 50 tennis "mind" and the head of someone ranked 100-120, like Mirjana.

Another aspect: she's just so powerful and she hits as hard as the biggest hitting girls. You would think she would be "on" a little more often than she is, and take a lot more of these matches against players ranked beneath her, at the very least.

Everyone knows she works so hard -- really in better shape every year than the year before. One would think that this added confidence would enable her to close more of these matches she has set herself up to close.

But mentally, Mirjana is one of those mercurial players -- not really a textbook choker, because she certainly HAS closed-out a lot of matches (easy ones and close ones) the past few years, which is why she's been ranked around 105-ish instead of 275, where someone like Olga Puchkova has been loitering for years (until even Puchkova finally figured it out in the past several months!)

She schedules so poorly, given that she needs matches to really get her wild game grooved. Nothing in her off-season training seems to have given her something new and different to bring to the court, mentally, to get a jump-start on a new season. Whatever reason she missed the $500,000 Shenzhen event (practically a $100-$75K field!), it's a pity she started her season with a missed opportunity ... And followed that up losing a match full of missed opportunities.

But look, even though she imploded here, the match WAS hers, it was very competitive, and this time last year she was getting waxed in straight sets by the likes of Victoria Larriere -- with no winning opportunities.

We can only wait and hope for a better result in Melbourne. She obviously came ready to play, and even ready to win. She only needs one good rout of a solid opponent to get her season on track. Let's hope it comes week after next on the big stage, with a 100-point boost.

GL, Mirjana. Just fight and focus -- that all you owe it to yourself to do.

SERVivor
Jan 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Actually, you could have just watched the Bartoli match from Wimbledon last year. She did all those positive things you mentioned above in that match. She's just not as good on hard courts as she is on Grass. Her hard court matches seem to often have these yo=yo type scorelines. She's just not as consistent on hard as grass. That said, she still should have won this match.

rucolo
Jan 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Seems nothing changed. Another close match lost :sad:

No consistency. Will Mirjana ever improve her serve ? 13 DFs :o

SERVivor
Jan 6th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Watched Cepelova against Kuznetsova. Nothing special. Weak serve, no finishing power. Kuznetsova was in same position as MIKI at 4=2 in the third and closed it out unlike MIKI. Lucic needs to put away players like Cepelova. At this point, MIKI against Kuznetsova is a pretty even matchup.

mikireturns
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:15 PM
At least Miki got more "match-playing" time in her Oz Open preparations than Petra Kvitova, who ate breadsticks against Cibulkova.

I think the tenor of the Cepelova match indicates that, at the very least, Mirjana is here to fight hard until the last point. Things did not go her way on serve at the very end of the Cepelova encounter, but she did not really implode dramatically -- she held two more times to at least make a tie-break possible, and recovered from 5-1 down to make it interesting. Cepelova is indeed the very kind of player she hates to tackle at any juncture, much less first match of the year -- short, scrappy girl, nondescript pusher, feisty retriever, consistent server. Yes, she should have held that one time at 4-2 and she would have won, but she has had MUCH worse losses.

I don't think she would have beaten Sveta, who seems to have scrapped her game together a bit.

Count on it -- if Mirjana gets a halfway sweet draw in Melbourne, we'll see her fight hard and win a round (or more) for the first time since ... forever.

Kathy Rinaldi
Jan 6th, 2013, 02:46 PM
At least Miki got more "match-playing" time in her Oz Open preparations than Petra Kvitova, who ate breadsticks against Cibulkova.

Kvitova played two rounds in Brisbane and one here so no consolation in that fact.

Cepelova is the kind of player who is awkward to beat for any non elite big hitter in first match of the season. Hlavackova had the same problems as Miki did in the next round, losing a tight one, and Sveta went to three sets. They are all playing around the same level, hopefully Miki can do enough tidying up this week to play a bit cleaner in Melbourne, draw permitting.

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Kvitova played two rounds in Brisbane and one here so no consolation in that fact.

Cepelova is the kind of player who is awkward to beat for any non elite big hitter in first match of the season. Hlavackova had the same problems as Miki did in the next round, losing a tight one, and Sveta went to three sets. They are all playing around the same level, hopefully Miki can do enough tidying up this week to play a bit cleaner in Melbourne, draw permitting.

Yeah, actually, a good point to differentiate between "elite" big hitters and "non-elite" big hitters and how they handle the journeywomen "retriever" types. A Sharapova or a Li Na has the regular confidence in her big shots to blow the Cepelova's off the court 90% of the time, with an "off day" resulting in the occasional struggle or maybe fluke loss. On the other hand, less confident (and lower-ranked) big hitters/bashers (Hlavackova, Voskoboeva, Lucic, etc.) have to work hard to beat these types ~most~ of the time, with a loss always a distinct possibility.

The sticky hard courts in Oz summer heat are not ideal for an "okay" mover like Lucic, but she practices primarily on hard courts and, given the obvious amount of hard work she has been putting in as far as training, one does hope that she will be rewarded with commensurate results.

One win in Melbourne --just one-- will vault her up to around 86; essentially equalling her "best ranking" of the 2008-2012 full-time comeback. Just ONE win will change the tone of her entire career "comeback" at this point, because she can build significantly upon it all the way through Wimbledon. A Top 70 or Top 60 ranking is not out of the question if she can win just one match in Melbourne and follow-up with a mere handful of main draw wins (anywhere) before Wimbledon.

Here's hoping for a winnable 1st Round match-up at Flinders Park and a very focused, gritty, fighting Miki to show up.

MLF
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mirjana is playing doubles with Jelena Jankovic in the Open. Jelena was due to play with Petkovic but after Andrea got injured approached Miki.

croat123
Jan 8th, 2013, 10:43 PM
they could be tough to beat. players with different playing styles tend to make good combos

SERVivor
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:48 PM
wow. Jankovic's a very good doubles player. They could do well. Jelena probably gained some respect for Lucic via the tough match they had at the U.S. Open in 2010.

ajmo!
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:40 PM
seed, still don't know which

ajmo!
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Safarova :(

croat123
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:59 PM
not the worst draw. she played well in fed cup, but has otherwise been off

mic12
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Safarova :(

I wouldn't call this a done deal. Sure, Miki was crushed by her in 2012, but it was on clay. Safarova lost in the first round of AO last year. And just lost pretty badly to Madison Keys in Sydney. I give Miki a chance here.

ajmo!
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
hope she doesnt get it together just now, like last year in charleston (safarova)

networthy
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I'm not hopeful :hysteric:

networthy
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:11 AM
As consolation, (a) Mirjana didn't draw a top-16 seed, and (b) if she wins, her R2 match should be easier.

kfh_9118
Jan 11th, 2013, 12:55 AM
not the best draw, but if she has to face a seeded player, might as well Lucie, she's not in form at the moment it seems.

Good luck Miki :bounce:

mikireturns
Jan 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM
:rolleyes: Crap. Lefty Lucie the Topspin Queen.

She got waxed by Keys in Brisbane, yes, but she's currently at her career high ranking, so let's not kid ourselves.

Miki's wonky backhand will have to be perfect and so will her timing, 'cuz the only way she can even make an impression on Safarova is by taking everything early/on-the-rise. Their Charleston encounter was a disaster.

Shit. Well, anything can happen in tennis. Safarova has proved to be vulnerable to hard, flat hitters in the past, and she can go on error-sprees herself.

Mirjana has nothing to lose, but it would be nice if she could put together some vintage shotmaking.

She'll need it. Along with a lefty practice-partner the next few days.

GL, no matter what.

Ollie.
Jan 11th, 2013, 04:02 PM
If Mirjana hits a purple patch, she can beat anyone imo....but that doesn't happen on hard court anymore really. :sobbing:

mikireturns
Jan 12th, 2013, 12:22 AM
If Mirjana hits a purple patch, she can beat anyone imo....but that doesn't happen on hard court anymore really. :sobbing:

Most assuredly, Mirjana playing her cleanest tennis can hang-with and or beat any Top 10-caliber star. She's demonstrated that in her first go-around against Steffi, Serena, Monica, Pierce, Novotna, etc. and she has done so in her second act, e.g. Bartoli, Jankovic.

She played some sharp hard-court tennis in 2010 and 2011, at both US Opens and in a number of year-end ITFs. 2012 was not so good for her on hard court, obviously.

She will have to rise to the occasion against Lucie, no question about it. But, on the right day she's capable of that.

Regardless, at least at this twilight hour of her career she is out there laying it on the line in Grand Slam main draws against the very best in the world. So many people used to laugh at the very idea she would ever get into such a position again. Ever. In that sense, Mirjana got the last laugh on the naysayers.

Lucie is not some divine being: she is human and can be beaten. Mirjana simply has to think that way, go out there and beat the woman. She needs to move superbly, serve very well, and execute a good backcourt plan against the lefty-voodoo of Lucie and focus extra-hard. The grueling work? Mirjana has already put that in, off-court and on.

It is not an impossibility for Lucic to win. Not at all.

Ollie.
Jan 12th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Most assuredly, Mirjana playing her cleanest tennis can hang-with and or beat any Top 10-caliber star. She's demonstrated that in her first go-around against Steffi, Serena, Monica, Pierce, Novotna, etc. and she has done so in her second act, e.g. Bartoli, Jankovic.

She played some sharp hard-court tennis in 2010 and 2011, at both US Opens and in a number of year-end ITFs. 2012 was not so good for her on hard court, obviously.

She will have to rise to the occasion against Lucie, no question about it. But, on the right day she's capable of that.

Regardless, at least at this twilight hour of her career she is out there laying it on the line in Grand Slam main draws against the very best in the world. So many people used to laugh at the very idea she would ever get into such a position again. Ever. In that sense, Mirjana got the last laugh on the naysayers.

Lucie is not some divine being: she is human and can be beaten. Mirjana simply has to think that way, go out there and beat the woman. She needs to move superbly, serve very well, and execute a good backcourt plan against the lefty-voodoo of Lucie and focus extra-hard. The grueling work? Mirjana has already put that in, off-court and on.

It is not an impossibility for Lucic to win. Not at all.

I agree with everything you said. :yeah:

It's the unforced errors that will be her downfall I think....Lucie has poor movement, and Mirjana will find going for winners easier than with most other players, but her strokes need to be more accurate...:(

And Lucie is one of the worst returners in the top 100 on a bad day, so Mirjana needs to serve well indeed! :)

ajmo!
Jan 12th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Mirjana didn't attend any party before AOpen. Hope she's training.

rucolo
Jan 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
not the worst draw. she played well in fed cup, but has otherwise been off

Exactly. Safarova in very poor form. Could be worse. Good luck at Aus Open, Mirjana ;)

ajmo!
Jan 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreIazmvXGw

I really hope Prpa and Miki will take a close look at this match. Safarova raised her level quite a bit in second set and started hitting harder of forehand.
For Mirjana it will be really important to work hard on bh these few days, also where she needs to be good to beat Safarova is second serve return.
Overall Mirjana will need to play well, move well but key shots are serve, backhand and 2nd serve return. Also, she needs to punish every short ball that Safarova gives her to the middle of the court, meaning she will also have to patient and not try to hit winner on every ball.
And she could try some of those drop shots that she played well last year, but I do not believe her passing shot as a following shot is good enough for Lucie, lob seems to be better option.

ajmo!
Jan 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Mirjana didn't attend any party before AOpen. Hope she's training.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/practice.html
Also she wasn't practicing in Melbourne Park today, Safarova was.
Hope she's not sick or something.

mikireturns
Jan 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Yikes. Heaven forbid she's sick. Bad USA weather seemed to confound her travel plans to Shenzhen, costing valuable match-practice. This bad USA 'flu epidemic had better not mess with her!

It's speculative, but Prpic and Mirjana could very well have gone off-site to find a lefty male practice-partner with big topspin.

I would absolutely have to think that Prpic (or whomever) insisted on making some frantic arrangements to find a lefty hitting partner who could approximate Safarova's game.

I mean, they'd be crazy if they didn't. We're talking Miki, here. As slow as she can be to find her rhythm in matches (and in beginning new seasons!) and with only one match under her belt so far, she simply can't afford to step on the court against a Top 20 lefty like Safarova and just "hope" she can work her way into figuring-out the weirdness that comes with suddenly facing a lefthander. Hell no. It'd be a comedy (of errors).

Prpic is the smartest coach she's had in a while ... He will have found her a lefty hitting partner already and will be drilling her hard with ways to attack Lucie on Tuesday.

croat123
Jan 12th, 2013, 09:11 PM
She just needs to take her time and focus on footwork...just like she did against Bartoli last year

croat123
Jan 12th, 2013, 09:12 PM
She'll be on ct 10 with Pliskova :)

MLF
Jan 13th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Decent 1st round draw in the doubles for JJ & Miki against Rogowska & Arina Rodionova. Peschke and Groenefeld are the seeded pair in the 2nd round if they all win.

ajmo!
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
She'll be on ct 10 with Pliskova :)

Yup, just for an hour but at least something, yesterday she wasn't practicing.
Safarova with Schiavone? I guess she doesn't see Mirjana as a threat. MAybe good.

crotennis2
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM
She has the best coach in Croatia and who won't take any silly play. GL Mirjana!

networthy
Jan 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Decent 1st round draw in the doubles for JJ & Miki against Rogowska & Arina Rodionova. Peschke and Groenefeld are the seeded pair in the 2nd round if they all win.

All the Croatian women doubles players got winnable R1 matches :yeah:

Jurak / Marosi v. Kudryavtseva / Peer (then likely Petrova / Srebotnik [5])
Martic / Mladenovic v. Minella / Moulton-Levy (then likely Makarova / Vesnina [4])

MLF
Jan 13th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Yup, just for an hour but at least something, yesterday she wasn't practicing.
Safarova with Schiavone? I guess she doesn't see Mirjana as a threat. MAybe good.

She did practise yesterday, just not onsite. Court time on site is very hard to get with 356+ competitors looking for court time at the start of a grand slam. Of course Safarova sees her as a threat. She's playing with Schiavone as Schiavone requested her to help her prepare for her match with Kvitova.

ajmo!
Jan 14th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Great, thanks for the info. Court 22? Really don't get why would they put them on last court. Not a streamed court?
Ula and Hampton on court 2 and Morita and Tatishvili also ond streamd court. :help:

SERVivor
Jan 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Putting a mid-seed on court 22 is a slap in the face. They might as well be playing on a practice court. Hopefully it doesn't make Safarova play better. I think Hampton got a good court because of American TV concerns. Ula, well she is Agies sister.

croat123
Jan 14th, 2013, 11:59 PM
the men's match is going to go on for ages...i can just feel it.

networthy
Jan 15th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Mirjana is keeping it close: she's up 32, on serve...

tennismaster8820
Jan 15th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Scoreboard stuck now?

networthy
Jan 15th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Still on serve, with Mirjana up 4-3

networthy
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Whew--Mirjana up 5-4 after saving a break point

networthy
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:12 AM
5-5, after Mirjana was up 5-4 30-0, just two points from the set. UGH!!!

I'm going to bed...

Tennis Fool
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Mirjana really stuffed up the end of that set.

Now tb. Saved three sets points.

Tennis Fool
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Not the 4th.

67(4).

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:28 AM
6-7(4)
fought well in the first set at least. had a nice chance both times her opponent was serving to stay in it...

SERVivor
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:32 AM
she had 40-40 at 6-5* Also, went down 1-6 in the tiebreak before losing it. She returned serve a little bit better at the latter part of the set. Safarova won a couple of games at love on her serve earlier in the set. Safaraova is getting a very high first serve percentage and Lucic is winning precious few first serve returns. She has to hope Safarova
s first serve percentage drops.

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:36 AM
bp safarova

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:37 AM
bp again...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:38 AM
duece

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Ad. L-B

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:39 AM
great hold! 6-7 1-1

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:42 AM
chance at 15-30

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:42 AM
15-40 two bps

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:43 AM
one left...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:43 AM
both wasted :(

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Ad. L-B bp

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
she breaks! 6-7 2*-1

SERVivor
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
she breaks for 2-1 in the second. She needs to stay focused and not let down. Saved two break points in the first game.

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM
15-0

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:47 AM
15-15

SERVivor
Safarova's first serve percentage has dropped markedly this set. Good to see Lucic taking advantage of the second serve.

croat123
30-15 keep going...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM
30-30 big point

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:48 AM
40-30 one more miki

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:49 AM
yes! good hold again!
6-7 3-1

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM
safarova holds to 30
6-7 3*-2

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:55 AM
15-0 come on

SERVivor
Close match. She needs to just focus on holding serve each time. It's surprising she can't win a little more on Safarova's first serve. She's probably going for too much on the return per usual but she's doing well on second serve return which Croat123 (or was it Ajmo) said was a key to the match.

croat123
15-15...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:56 AM
30-15

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:57 AM
easy hold! 6-7 4-2*

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Close match. She needs to just focus on holding serve each time. It's surprising she can't win a little more on Safarova's first serve. She's probably going for too much on the return per usual but she's doing well on second serve return which Croat123 (or was it Ajmo) said was a key to the match.
yeah, she just has to focus at this point. we all know how she can go off the ball, but this is a great chance.

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 02:59 AM
safarova holds to 15
6-7 4*-3

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:01 AM
15-0 three more points miki

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:01 AM
15-15 big point

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:02 AM
15-30 danger...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:02 AM
15-40 :sad:

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:03 AM
30-40...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:04 AM
broken :crying2:
6-7 4-4
can't have a meltdown now miki...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:04 AM
0-15 focus!

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:05 AM
15-15 :fiery:

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:05 AM
30-15 :sad:

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:06 AM
30-30 huge point here

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:06 AM
40-30 :(

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:07 AM
fuck
6-7 4-5
serving to stay in it now

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:09 AM
15-0 please miki

SERVivor
fight!!!!!!!!!!!

croat123
15-15 :scared:

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:10 AM
15-30 :rolleyes: not broken all match and now this...

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:10 AM
30-30!

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:11 AM
mp :sad::sad::sad:

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:12 AM
noooooooooooo :sad: kept it so close, but such a typical bumble fuck in the tb and at 4*-3 in the second :sad:

SERVivor
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:12 AM
second set meltdown. Not broken in whole match then broken twice in a row.

Tennis Fool
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:13 AM
67(4) 46. :o

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:13 AM
proud of miki's fight :yeah: definitely a step forward. should be able to win a match at least in doubles.

SERVivor
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:14 AM
mental part of tennis most important unfortuanetly.

croat123
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:27 AM
she was close against a top20 player. hopefully prpic can build on this. clearly a mental loss given how it all unwound

mikireturns
Jan 15th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Aww, bummer. Too bad for Mirjana. She was really neck and neck with one of the elite, a girl at her career high ranking.

I believe if maybe she'd had a few more matches under her belt (instead of just the Cepelova match) she would have come through.

Certainly, her game is in far better shape than it was at this time last year (remember the Larriere loss!!??)

Just really mentally a different level for Top 20 girls. They have the edge on those big points.

Hope Mirjana really takes some positives from the strong level of her play and has a fine remainder of the season.:wavey:

ajmo!
Jan 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM
:sad: hmm

Bad draw, that's true. Cepelova beat Arn 2&2.

Hope she stays with Prpic. So close, again. She needed better R1 draw to get it going. Something like in Wimbledon.

I'm sad because she was very competitive against top 20 player and lost by inch. It's a huge points loss. If she won a round or two(and draw opened for even more) she would be able to play the rest of the season without much pressure.

She'll leave Australia with 0 points. Surely by this two scoreline (in only two matches she played) that's not right, she should had won more.

ajmo!
Jan 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/v9zP84n79nHZ3G4B2Er1Ig--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MTc7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-01-15T080501Z_238878496_SR1E91F0MFXMJ_RTRMADP_3_TENNI S-OPEN.JPG

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/159514423-mirjana-lucic-baroni-of-croatia-plays-a-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QYPBP%2blD1uZqvfYUgmY2I9J4va Xe4vFXlhaWBAK7gPp8XJUCKx016Zrh4iXWXuuJNg%3d%3d

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/159514422-mirjana-lucic-baroni-of-croatia-plays-a-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQJW0thq2qgXJwtICR2K%2bx9ZUI Uc9UvSE%2b99rGgwfkixtIYOp5GDHVZuR2oz5%2bfN3w%3d%3d

Sammo
Jan 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
So she isn't sponsored by Lotto anymore...

mikireturns
Jan 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM
MLB & JJ win their dubs 6-4 1-6 6-3.

Finally a win to start Mirjana's year, plus, with the increased prize money, she's ready earned about $36,000 for her troubles.

Good luck, MLB:wavey:

networthy
Jan 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
^ :cheer:

Finally some good news about Mirjana :yeah:

ajmo!
Jan 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Surely as hard R2 as it can be. Don't expect more then few games(hopefully per set)

SERVivor
Jan 18th, 2013, 04:30 PM
yea, Gronefeld is a very good doubles player and her partner, while old, is still a great doubles player. But Lucic and JJ have the natural talent. Can they put it together for two or three sets. We'll see

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2013, 07:29 PM
A lot of the seeded doubles teams have already fallen to smart player combos already (Can Kimiko Date-Krumm blow our minds any further? Unreal, that woman.) and if Mirjana and JJ have more chance to find their groove as a pair, the talent is surely there. If they have an inspired day ... Who knows? At least they both are still in Oz, playing on the Grand Slam Stage, fighting for a win. Hope they have fun and go for it.

Looks like Mirjana's first chance to win a singles match will come indoors at the $100K in Michigan starting 4 February. She is seeded #8 there. After that, she is 2nd or 3rd ALT for Memphis. Really hope she can catch fire at one or both of those events. This incredibly hard work is going to pay-off for her. She deserves it. One event can change everything and I do still believe she has come out with her strongest play (for season-opening) considering the competition -- an obviously determined Cepelova and a Top 20 lefty like Safarova.

Do your best, Mirjana. Enjoy your adventure.:wavey:

mikireturns
Jan 19th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Well, well ... a walkover win for Mirjana and Jelena. Sad, of course, to presume that one of their opponents was too ill or injured to take the court, but this is sport. We'll take it. More good prize $$$ for Mirjana and a nice boost for her doubles ranking, too.

This ought to help mitigate the close losses and hopefully inspire her strong singles play going forward.

GL, ladies.

croat123
Jan 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM
the draw has really opened up. honestly, this is probably the best chance miki will get for a slam quarter/semis. she needs to focus and take it...she has a great partner

mikireturns
Jan 19th, 2013, 06:15 AM
the draw has really opened up. honestly, this is probably the best chance miki will get for a slam quarter/semis. she needs to focus and take it...she has a great partner

Yes. I hope they play loose and focused and really fight for it. Jelena has to want some bit of redemption, too; she really should have won her match against Ana. Nothing to lose, girls. Serve bombs, return big, and poach mightily.

ajmo!
Jan 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM
It's a good chance yes, but I believe you expect to much. Pavljuchenkova is in great form this year and Safarova already beat Mirjana. They are both good at net and it's always good team in doubles with one lefty and one right handed player.
We'll see how it will work.. it could be good match to watch, they are all out of singles and will be focused on this match.

But yes, for SF draw is wide open. Considering this is a Slam.

SERVivor
Jan 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I also think it will be tough. Pavly and Safarova have already beaten a seeded team Spears and Kop Jones who play together all the time. I just hope its on a streamed court It won't happen today according to the schedule, must be Monday.

Hele.
Jan 19th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Good luck in doubles! :bounce:

mikireturns
Jan 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Hopefully, Pav and Saf will feel a little self-conscious of the "upset bug" ... Seeded doubles girls are not immune from getting their butts kicked, as we have seen (except maybe for Venus and Serena, who will surely win it all, barring miracles or acts of voodoo performed against them).

Mirjana and Jelena are not favored, for sure. But as mentioned before this is her best shot at ~some~ return to a Grand Slam quarterfinal or semi "format". Her chances for that in singles are certainly escaping. (If you have an opening against big players in the first round of a major, you either take it or you don't ... the opportunities come only once a year in each Slam.) Still, given her desire to work hard and maybe find that "missing link" in her game, I totally believe Mirjana can reach at least one Grand Slam final-16 or win some WTA-level tournament, before she is done. In fact, I expect she will do at least one very significant result before she says a well-deserved sayonara.

So maybe she is not going to become a Top 20-30 "regular." Big deal. She can still win a WTA-level event in singles. But first she and JJ need to pounce on this dubs chance. Practicing together for a few days should help. Hope good things come to them.

ajmo!
Jan 20th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Shourt cort2, second match! Ajmo!

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 01:55 AM
1-0*

looks like they are good friends

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 01:58 AM
shit, jankovic is serving injured
barely 100kmph

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM
this won't end well, she can't serve :sad:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:00 AM
Lol it looks like she's not even trying

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:02 AM
jankovic broken, she can't move :sad:

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:03 AM
there's no point in playing the match like this...

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
you can tell miki is bummed...she's playing well

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:06 AM
retired :sad:

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:07 AM
i was so excited for this one too :(:(

kfh_9118
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:09 AM
just checked the score, afraid it was Miki who's injured.

sad for Jelena, but relieved it's not Miki who's injured :awww:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:09 AM
Same :sad:

networthy
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
And I stayed up until 04:00 for this?!?

SERVivor
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:14 AM
Jankovic looked like she was injured or just didn't want to play from the beginning. She was serving softballs and Lucic was a sitting duck at net. Lucic.s first serve was very good when it went in. Her volleying wasn't great but at least she was trying unlike Jankovic. I have a feeling Jelena just wanted to get out of Australia i.e. don't expect her to miss any singles action with an injury.

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 02:14 AM
i thought miki was playing well too. good serving, solid groundies. a few good pick up volleys (and her standard high volley misses)

mikireturns
Jan 21st, 2013, 03:48 AM
Not a big Jelena fan right now.

Of course, one cannot say definitively, but in my opinion this crap smacked of JJ "Diva Nonsense."

We all saw Miki very intense and determined. I understand that the dubs doesn't mean as much to JJ, but frankly any of us could see this meant a lot to Mirjana.

Whatever. I hope Jelena will somehow "survive" and hope Miki goes forward to sharp tennis this season.

But, as a longtime observer of the game, it looked to me like Jelena was hungover from a couple nights partying (which she can afford -- for NOW) and just didn't want to hang around town.

Fine, but she ought to have told Mirjana, who clearly came to PLAY.

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 04:06 AM
looks like the JJ forum is reporting a ruptured abdominal muscle...
if she was injured, i hope she gets better

SERVivor
Jan 21st, 2013, 04:21 AM
I'm glad she actually was injured. I would hate if she tanked.

mikireturns
Jan 21st, 2013, 04:56 AM
Whatever the situation may be -- unfortunate.

Hope Mirjana works hard and shows what she can do in the Midland, Michigan $100K.

Looking at her this evening, she certainly is as fit as any woman on tour and her power is -- WOW.

Miki has her own unusual, unique power as a hitter. Guess that's one reason we like her.

Best of luck to a player who has already proved herself honorable.:wavey:

volume3d
Jan 21st, 2013, 11:34 AM
Is it true that Miki also got QF points because JJ retired ? One guy on croatian forum said it few times already but I dont believe it

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 12:30 PM
I think she only gets second round points actually...

ajmo!
Jan 21st, 2013, 03:32 PM
I think she only gets second round points actually...

You mean because they got W.O.? Hope it's not true because that rule would leave a lot of space for calculations at times.
And also if it is Mirjana just stayed in Australia 5-6 days longer(from her R1 doubles match), earned no points and played 3 games. :help:

SERVivor
Jan 21st, 2013, 06:06 PM
Whatever the situation may be -- unfortunate.

Hope Mirjana works hard and shows what she can do in the Midland, Michigan $100K.

Looking at her this evening, she certainly is as fit as any woman on tour and her power is -- WOW.

Miki has her own unusual, unique power as a hitter. Guess that's one reason we like her.

Best of luck to a player who has already proved herself honorable.:wavey:

She really does have awesome power. There was at least one point where she overpowered Pavlychenkova, who is herself no weakling. I have watched a lot of her matches both livestream and in in person and I have yet to see her lose because she was overpowered. Even Sharapova didn't really overpower her, just she made a crapload of UEs that day.

croat123
Jan 21st, 2013, 06:11 PM
You mean because they got W.O.? Hope it's not true because that rule would leave a lot of space for calculations at times.
And also if it is Mirjana just stayed in Australia 5-6 days longer(from her R1 doubles match), earned no points and played 3 games. :help:
Yes. If no point are played, you don't get points or prize money for winning the round :(

Davodus
Jan 27th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Hey, I just thought I'd come here and let you know about the AO R1 match between Lucie and Mirjana...obviously I'm a Lucie fan so I was cheering for her and I watched the whole match, but I just thought I'd let you know Mirjana played really really well. It was actually one of the highest quality matches I saw the whole time I was in Melbourne. There was some insane hitting from both and some really big rallies, and Mirjana's backhand was actually more damaging than her forehand. The only reason Lucie won was because she was tougher on the big points...in the TB she barely missed, and she started hitting winners everywhere from 2-4 to 6-4. I dunno if you saw any match report but thought I'd let you know. You can ask me any questions about it if you like.

ajmo!
Jan 27th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Wow great to hear and so nice from you to let us know. :) :yeah:
How Mirjana serve looked like and how high do you think she could go with this game she played against Lucie? :)

And, yes this are Mirjana's next 3 tournaments:
ITF Midland
WTA Memphis
WTA Florinapolis

Davodus
Jan 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM
She served well tbh, she was hitting corners and her 2nd serve which I thought would be more of a problem was good...because she was being really aggressive on it but barely double faulted until she did twice in the last game. I think the way she played in that match she could be a solid top 50 at worst if I'm honest, she was really playing well and it was such a high quality match. I've never seen so many balls just go over the net but still be so deep from both girls consistently in rallies.

ajmo!
Jan 27th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Also, Lucie didn't play that well in R2 or Jovanovski was so good?

Davodus
Jan 27th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Lucie sucked :lol: she got distressed by the heat and she could hardly move. Totally different person to the first round.

Lucas Zarich
Jan 27th, 2013, 02:50 PM
In ITF web site (http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=20009551)Mirjana Lucic Career High Singles N2 (31/12/1996)

But if:

Mirjana Lucic in 1996 Year End Rank Juniors was N2 (N1 Mauresmo(FRA))

Then win "Australian Hardcourt Championships" Grade 1 (18/1/1997)
Then win "Australian Open Junior Championships" Grade A (26/1/1997) (in singles and doubles).

Was she N1 in february 1997?

Lučić turned professional in April 1997 at the age of 15 (born 9 march 1982) and:

win Bol WTA Title (Tier IV & V now International)(4 may 1997)
Runnerup Strasbourg WTA Title (Tier III, now Premier)(24 may 1997)(lost with Steffi Graff)

ajmo!
Jan 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Singles ranking: #114 :(
Doubles: #135

MLF
Jan 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM
She's frustratingly just a couple of decent draws away from being top 100 in singles. She's nearly top 100 in doubles almost by accident. Money and success to be had there provided physically she feels up to it.

ajmo!
Jan 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Mirjana will need one player ahead of her to pull out from Midland list to be seeded. Malek is ahead in ranking from this week.
Also, there will be live stream. :)

Krijes Sedam
Jan 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM
10 pages of talks, for 2 matches in total in "down under", with 100% losses :D
sorry, guys, just a bit trolling from my side ;)

mikireturns
Jan 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM
As gritty/solid as her singles game appears to have been Down Under (and let us remember she was pretty much getting waxed by people like Larriere and a then low-ranked Lisicki the years before this), I'm guessing she'll be well-prepared for the key upcoming three opportunities in Midland, Memphis, and especially Brasil. Weather's been unseasonably warm in Florida for putting a lot of productive practice-hours on the courts and, as everyone saw, Mirjana is almost certainly in the best physical shape of her career.

Truly she has put in the work. Let's hope she can put a lot of the girls in these three upcoming fields through their paces. The fields are ripe for the picking. The travel is going to be stressful, but she has a HUGE opportunity to vault into the Top 100 if she brings the focus.

Would obviously love to see her get on a roll (the right kind of roll) now and carry it all the way through to Wimby.

SERVivor
Jan 31st, 2013, 06:07 PM
Glad Midland has a livestream this year. In past years, they didn't even have livescoring, much less livestreaming. Encouraging words about the Safarova match as well. If she's in good form as it sounds, she should be able to do damage at Midland and Memphis, I believe she's a better player on Indoor than Outdoor hard.

ajmo!
Feb 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Mirjana will face a player from qualies in Midland R1. She's 7th seed and should be able to get to QF or maybe even SF with form she showed in first two matches of the year (yes, she lost, but closely to two better players than almost any in this draw).
In doubles not lucky with draw. She and Czink will face 1 seeded Dekmeijere/Foretz Gacon but I would say it's at least an open match.
GL!

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 4th, 2013, 11:29 PM
New thread?

networthy
Feb 5th, 2013, 02:06 AM
New thread?

Yes, for sure. Who's going to start it? :lol:

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Watching doubles. They are 3-4 down but Mirjana held her serve easily so far, also they got broken when Czink hit DF.
Mirjana had at leas 3 or 4 backhand return winners.

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Mirjana's return stops at the top of the net. 3-5 down. 0/5 on BP's. Liga and Foretz 1/1

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:57 AM
4-6.. really they are at least as good, lost set on a deciding point

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Mirjana's playing great, really didn't thought she would be this good.

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 03:03 AM
very frustrating. they're 6-4 1-0 down and won only 3 points less

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Czink serves DF every game at 30-30

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 03:49 AM
4-6 7-6(4), 6 MP's saved

ajmo!
Feb 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM
4-6 7-6 11-9 bravo!