Nov 29th, 2012, 04:09 AM
It doesn't even exist actually :rolls:

Albireo
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Hooray for off-season threads.

edificio
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Yes.

No doubt people will start using it all the time now, like "vulture," etc.

The Witch-king
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Yes.

No doubt people will start using it all the time now, like "vulture," etc.

That's trough.

Lachy
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I love it :hysteric:

hectopascal
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I love it :hysteric:

This.
:o

Vartan
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Can we have someone explain where it comes from?

Potato
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Can we have someone explain where it comes from?

In physics, when describing a transverse wave, you have the highest energy, called the peak or crest and the lowest energy, called troughs, both where you reach maximum amplitude.

http://science-class.net/Notes/Images_8th_Notes/Transverse-Wave.png

So the trough is basically the opposite of peak, and alas the trough vs. trough threads were born

Pops Maellard
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM
This is already the longest off-season ever :sobbing:. I didn't appreciate the tennis as much when it was on this year, and now I want to watch it's the off-season :tears:.

Six Feet Under
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I think trough is more relatable to economics, like when an economy's performance is at it's worst we say it's in a trough. Definately an off-season thing :sobbing:

Stonerpova
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:58 AM
I sort of love it. It's better than all the Peak threads for sure.

backhandsmash
Nov 29th, 2012, 06:01 AM
And to make it complete: Trough vs. peak threads.

As in, would peak Nara beat trough Serena.

NashaMasha
Nov 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM
soon we will have corpse vs corpse

Vartan
Nov 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hantuchova vs. Ivanovic in 2 years?

TheLegendof
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Some of you morons should take a physics class. Honestly...

bobito
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Not wishing to blow my own trumpet (well perhaps a bit) but I believe I was a year ahead of you all on this one, although I called it "slump v slump" rather than "trough v trough". And I think I picked the ultimate match-up too - Slump Pierce v Slump Ivanovic.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448766&highlight=

What made ne chuckle was that fans of both players were insistent that their fave would lose such a shitfest. :lol:

backhandsmash
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
And to make it complete: Trough vs. peak threads.

As in, would peak Nara beat trough Serena.

Oh, we already had one. :facepalm: Must be blind.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
This is already the longest off-season ever :sobbing:. I didn't appreciate the tennis as much when it was on this year, and now I want to watch it's the off-season :tears:.
Strange lot those tennis fans though, ain't they? During the off-season they want to see tennis. Than when there is tennis those that participate are called whores and vultures while those that don't bother are praised for regularly taking more off-seasons during the season. :scratch: :lol:

Aravanecaravan
Nov 29th, 2012, 09:52 AM
The folks who make these threads remind me of the two hillbillies in this:

vtkflEaeGjo

Fussin' and feudin' over the dumbest things imaginable....

Juju Nostalgique
Nov 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Trough Lana del Rey vs Peak Madonna... Let's vote... :sobbing:

Mikey.
Nov 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think it's hilare. :tears:

bobito
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Strange lot those tennis fans though, ain't they? During the off-season they want to see tennis. Than when there is tennis those that participate are called whores and vultures while those that don't bother are praised for regularly taking more off-seasons during the season. :scratch: :lol:

True. If every player played a reduced schedule then the season would be 3 months long and the off-season 9 months rather than the other way round. Have you noticed also how $erena always seems to fit in a few lucrative exos duing the off season? So much for the idea that she has to skive off during the regular season to rest her fragile body. :rolleyes:

Jajaloo
Nov 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Peak is stupid.

And in turn, Trough is a parody of itself.

stromatolite
Nov 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Having grown up on a farm I can't help imagining a couple of horses fighting over a watering trough when I see trough vs trough threads.:lol:

It's an odd way of expressing things (Bobito's slump vs slump is more intuitively obvious), but maybe this is just how language evolves. Who knows, in a year from now trough vs trough might sound completely normal.:shrug:

Super Dave
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
It was irritating and stupid until I learned what it meant. :o It won't kill me.

bobito
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Having grown up on a farm I can't help imagining a couple of horses fighting over a watering trough when I see trough vs trough threads.:lol:

It's an odd way of expressing things (Bobito's slump vs slump is more intuitively obvious), but maybe this is just how language evolves. Who knows, in a year from now trough vs trough might sound completely normal.:shrug:

Only to find that it was not cool, refreshing water in that trough but Jelena Jankovic.

The Dawntreader
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Opening a thread asking if it's stupid is pretty stupid.

stromatolite
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Those two horses ae now fighting over Jankovic?

:lol: This image invites so many possible replies that I can't decide which one to choose. Like the horse that starved to death trying to decide between two identical bags of oats.;)

Edit: While I was posting you provided the second bag of oats:

Only to find that it was not cool, refreshing water in that trough but Jelena Jankovic.

Natural Joe
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Trough's possibly not the brightest bulb in the box but it certainly doesn't deserve to be called "stupid" :sad:

bobito
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
While I was posting you provided the second bag of oats:

I edited it for a typo and decided to refine the gag a bit while I was at it. You got in there before me though. Consider the first effort a work in progress. :)

JJ all the way
Nov 29th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I started "trough" threads to point out how ridiculous peak v peak threads were, but in the process I ended up liking it too :oh:

Super Dave
Nov 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I started "trough" threads to point out how ridiculous peak v peak threads were, but in the process I ended up liking it too :oh:

Like I said, now that I know what it means, it's growing on me and is pretty funny.

Don't know much about Science book.

treufreund
Nov 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I like the word "trough" especially for those who are learning English or whose spelling and grammar are weak. It just goes to illustrate how bizarre spelling in the English language is. Also the concept of "peak" is totally absurd. We can always theorize that player A who just played a great match COULD HAVE played even better. He or she could have run faster, run longer, hit more accurately, hit bigger, exhibit better touch, etc. "Trough" threads serve to parody that nonsense. That's a good thing! Hence, I am temporarily and provisionally on team trough :)