PDA

View Full Version : New York in February

*Jean*
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I am planning to go to New York City in February (week of the 18th). I was wondering if it were really worth it, as far as the weather is concerned. Isn't it too cold? I'm afraid not to enjoy the city because of the cold temperatures. Any of your impressions would be appreciated. :wavey:

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I guess you'd just enjoy it less than in... summer, but I mean it's NYC, lucky you.

Brooklyn90
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah it has to be better than the summer, this last summer was horrible.

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Too hot? I guess the ideal season to visit New York is spring :shrug:

edificio
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Too hot? I guess the ideal season to visit New York is spring :shrug:

Fall is the best season in NYC, actually, September, to be precise. :)

As for February, could be miserable--grey, rainy, slushy, icy. BUT, you'll still be in a great place to have fun. :) (It also could be icy, cold, bright, and sunny, which can be great once you have proper garments and sunglasses.)

*Jean*
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM

I was in New York during the US Open, and actually outside of the US Open where you basically melt under the sun because you just sit your ass and die, it was not so bad. Well, I had 1500 blisters and my shirts were quite sweaty, but I just went from Manhattan to Queens 15 times a day in metro to get free conditioned air. :)

how was February 2011 in NY? I've read temperatures were between -5°C and +10°C, which is quite close to what we have in Paris. I'm from Marseille, though, so I'm not used to such low temperatures, but I guess it's not impossible to do tourist things even if it's a little bit cold, right? And I guess there's not a lot of tourists at this time of the year? That must be why hotel rooms are 45% cheaper than in April.

~{X}~
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Best time to visit NYC is April-May, October-December.

February can be tricky, last year wasn't bad at all but the 2 years previous of that were snow storms every week.

So you really never know. :lol:

ptkten
Nov 29th, 2012, 12:35 AM
You may have to deal with snow but it usually won't shut the city down unless it's really bad. New York is bustling and active in any weather so I would still go if you have the opportunity.

moby
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:27 AM
It's NYC, the life of the city is not built on the outdoors anyway.

cellophane
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I was planning on going to NY as well that week. (21st to 28) haha. The hotel prices are the lowest in Febuary. Don't know if I will for sure though...

duhcity
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:29 AM
The best part of New York is that it really seems to have every climate under the sun.
It is cold in February though, but it depends on how you see cold.

*Jean*
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
The best part of New York is that it really seems to have every climate under the sun.
It is cold in February though, but it depends on how you see cold.

yeah that's right. but I mean, can it be cold but still sunny so that to enjoy, let's say, the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park etc? of course we're planning to do plenty of museums as well just to stay indoors if it's really cold.

shap_half
Nov 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
IF it snows you can go sledding in Central Park. There are also still traditional bath houses in New York so if it gets too cold, you can head to the sauna. But seriously, other than Central Park and the Bridge, the best things about this city aren't things you'd go outside for. You could check out the architecture, but that's it. The most fascinating thing about New York is how people live here so come in February, find out what bands you like who might be playing a show in one of the The Bowery Presents venues, go shopping, eat at some of the best restaurants in the world, try some awesome cocktails, go to the museums, see a play/musical, take the subway to far corners of the city, go to the Brooklyn Flea Market, go on a food cart tour, and just bring a really good coat.

And there are still tourists here all the time. One of the offices I work at is in Times Square, and I'll tell you, if it weren't for the weather, I wouldn't know what the season was - that place is always swarming with people easily confused by sparkling lights.

Morning Morgan
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
moby is bitter that he's not living in nyc...

Cineast
Dec 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
New York City people are arrogant self-centered a******s regardless of the time of year. :p

Sammo
Dec 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
New York City people are arrogant self-centered a******s regardless of the time of year. :p

I'd take that over the moronic rest of the USA any time of the year :P

Bijoux0021
Dec 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
And we're proud of it. :wavey:

spiceboy
Dec 1st, 2012, 03:01 PM
It's NYC, the life of the city is not built on the outdoors anyway.

But seriously, other than Central Park and the Bridge, the best things about this city aren't things you'd go outside for. You could check out the architecture, but that's it.

I can't disagree more on that. Best thing of NYC is just wander around with no fixed destination, see all the neighbourhoods and mix with the people, just walk, walk and walk...best things in NYC are held indoors? since when? :facepalm: Yes, you have great museums and cool plays in Broadway, but 7 days of museums and plays??

I would never go to NYC in February, definitely way too cold and you will not enjoy it (I mean, if you like to walk and see different things) as much as spring, autumn or even summer.

If I was you, I would head to San Francisco in February and I'll leave NYC for a better time of the year.

~{X}~
Dec 1st, 2012, 05:40 PM
Summer in New York City is atrocious. It seems to get worse and worse every year. :lol:

The heat and humidity is literally disgusting. You can't walk 2 blocks without sweating, it's like NYC has turned tropical during the summer. February can be cold yes, but I mean who knows how this winter will be, last February as I said was quite decent, no snow, and the temperatures were quite lukewarm.

It's a gamble coming in February, but the upside is that it is cheap then. :lol:

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I'm finally going at the end of October :D

Sam L
Aug 11th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I just want to go to the Lincoln Center.

pierce85
Aug 11th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I ve been to NY twice, one in March and one in August. Despite the heat, I would definitely say I enjoyed my August trip more. The cold and wind during my March trip were unbearable

Brooklyn90
Aug 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I just want to go to the Lincoln Center.

Lincoln Center is my favorite place to go to in NYC! :) When I lived there and had a tough day I would just go there sometimes to think and relax. I even had the pleasure of going to see Swan lake there. Amazing place :D

Brooklyn90
Aug 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Nice! I'll be going back at the end of this month :)

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I can't disagree more on that. Best thing of NYC is just wander around with no fixed destination, see all the neighbourhoods and mix with the people, just walk, walk and walk...best things in NYC are held indoors? since when? :facepalm: Yes, you have great museums and cool plays in Broadway, but 7 days of museums and plays??

I would never go to NYC in February, definitely way too cold and you will not enjoy it (I mean, if you like to walk and see different things) as much as spring, autumn or even summer.

If I was you, I would head to San Francisco in February and I'll leave NYC for a better time of the year.

New York is fantastic all year long. You're right, there are tons of things you can be doing outside, but there are also tons of things you can be doing inside. Yeah, you can walk, walk and walk - you can still do that in February. Unless the weather is really that bad, the rest of the city still functions so if you we can lead a normal life in February so can the tourists. It might be uncomfortable so if you're looking to come to the city with the ideal weather, figure out what kind of weather you like and come then. I would never allow cold weather discourage me from going to NY - the weather has nothing to do with how amazing the destination is.

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM

While I obviously believe anyone can and should come here whenever, October is my personal favorite month to be in the city, especially earlier in the month when the temperature vacillates between being nice to being really nice.

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I wish i could go at the beginning of October, but my job contract doesn't finish until the end... hopefully it's still nice enough at the end of October though. Hopefully I can get a better deal on a hotel too as those dates approach. Already booked one for now, but maaan it's expensive.

wild.river
Aug 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM
i hope there isn't another hurricane at the end of october

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I wish i could go at the beginning of October, but my job contract doesn't finish until the end... hopefully it's still nice enough at the end of October though. Hopefully I can get a better deal on a hotel too as those dates approach. Already booked one for now, but maaan it's expensive.

Where are you staying? Have you considered airbnb or onefinestay? (I'm a massive fan of onefinestay.com.) End of the month can really go either way, weather-wise. A couple of years ago, Halloween was really, really cold, but even still, it'll be a great trip, I'm sure. (But as wild river says, fingers crossed we don't get another hurricane.)

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I booked a week at the Algonquin hotel in Times Square... I needed to find something central for 3 people (which means 2 queen beds or king bed + sofa), since my parents are coming as well for that week. I found a cheaper rate on a suite online on a 3rd party site and was able to use their best rate guarantee (they matched the lower rate and took an additional 25 % off).

And then possibly another 3 days at Cassa for just myself. Unless I'm going to find cheaper rates by the end - I'm going to look / possibly call and negotiate / or maybe use hotwire or hoteltonight for that. I have considered airbnb for sure, however I have reservations about using it with the recent court ruling in NYC against it / it being semi illegal. Also not sure if i would necessarily find something much better.

Either way it shouldn't be worse weatherwise than Ottawa the same time of year.

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I booked a week at the Algonquin hotel in Times Square... I needed to find something central for 3 people (which means 2 queen beds or king bed + sofa), since my parents are coming as well for that week. I found a cheaper rate on a suite online on a 3rd party site and was able to use their best rate guarantee (they matched the lower rate and took an additional 25 % off).

And then possibly another 3 days at Cassa for just myself. Unless I'm going to find cheaper rates by the end - I'm going to look / possibly call and negotiate / or maybe use hotwire or hoteltonight for that. I have considered airbnb for sure, however I have reservations about using it with the recent court ruling in NYC against it / it being semi illegal. Also not sure if i would necessarily find something much better.

Either way it shouldn't be worse weatherwise than Ottawa the same time of year.

One Fine Stay is a totally different model, but you do have to pay for it. I love the apartments they have on offer.

The Algonquin is a nice hotel. I used to work right around there and often ate at this Italian restaurant that's literally on the same block.

I always thought that Cassa was quite expensive, too, but really very chic. Good luck! You've got a couple of months hopefully something becomes available. I always try and look on Tablethotels.com, too.

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Never heard of one fine stay. i'll have a look at it...

I was lucky to find that rate for the Algonquin. Wouldn't have been able to afford it without a significant discount (I got it for about $ 1600 cheaper for 7 days than the hotel rate)

Cassa is def. expensive for sure. But their weekend rate through their site is about 100 dollars less than competing hotels I've been able to find. If i am able to get an even lower rate, it would be nice. It has been won before on hotwire, and it is on the hotel tonight app, so maybe that means I'll be able to negotiate a better rate if I wait / call hotel directly closer to the time I actually go. i think I'll be lucky to find anything nice around 200 a night.

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Here's a selection of properties on OFS (priced at less than $260). I'm not sure how much they will be when you go, but worth a shot, I reckon. The only problem with this is because there is a central agency that manages reservations -unlike airbnb's free for all - it is no possible to haggle a price down:

http://www.onefinestay.com/search/?start_date=&end_date=&region=384&sleeps=1&price_min=80&page=1&price_max=260

ETA: I'm not an agent for these folks or anything. I'm really just a big fan of how they've managed to rework the airbnb model into something more luxurious and hassle-free.

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:35 PM
the only issue is... is it similarly 'illegal' to airbnb in nyc (apartment rentals < 30 days)? the cassa room rate was $259 a night...

shap_half
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I have no clue.

cellophane
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Ah ok. I'll probably stick to a hotel for this trip...

this is what I was referring to

http://www.fastcompany.com/3009953/where-are-they-now/airbnb-stay-illegal-in-new-york-rules-judge

~{X}~
Aug 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Cassa is a nice hotel and new, just opened last year I believe. :lol: But yeah a bit expensive but in a very central location. ;)

Brooklyn90
Aug 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I hope it doesn't get to terribly cold by November, I'm hoping to have my wedding on November 1st in NYC.