PDA

View Full Version : When in position, who hit better--Mary Pierce or Lindsay Davenport?

Wojtek
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I would say both hit the best of any player in the modern game when in position, along with Seles probably. They all hit incredibly fast and heavy balls so when it hit the deck it wasn't coming back. I don't know if I can call it! Certainly Lindsay did it more consistently, but Mary was way more devastating when she got in position and timed it right as her forehand was like a missile.

GAGAlady
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wow I like this one.

To be honest it's pretty much equal. Both hit flat, Mary probably more so, both hit off both wings very hard, you can pick which one u like but for my money it's dead even maybe Mary one a really good day but Lindsay you could argue with her bigger height advantage could muster a tad bit more pop but it's comparable for sure... Very closely matched. I'll say Lindsay by 2 percent. Only because she's like 4 inches taller and that helps to generate more power if u put all ur weight into the shots like she did.

charmedRic
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mary might hit "faster" balls but I think Lindsay would hit the "heavier" ball out of the two. You got to like the height advantage here ... plus I think Lindsay would be able to do it more often (when getting into position on time) than Mary without it causing any other issues.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I don't believe Lindsay truly hit the ball as hard as she could. She hit as hard as she had to, which is probably why she was much more consistent than Mary.

So I'd vote for Linds. More power in reserves.

Shuji Shuriken
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Lindsay for sure. The fluidity of her strokes were BREATHTAKING. So flat and so ACCURATE. I miss watching her play. No doubt Mary had that explosive power, but I think Linds would be able to match her power...

nevetssllim
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Both of them could hit a very big ball but I'd trust Lindsay to produce a high standard of hitting on a more consistent basis. Pierce had more power but tennis isn't always about how hard you hit the ball so I'd plump for Lindsay too.

Smitten
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Seles.

The Dawntreader
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Davenport. She always had better footwork moving around the ball, taking smaller more intricate steps and thus her timing was always better.

It's arguable that Pierce had a stronger core and upper-body that allowed her to hit a meatier ball, but her timing and fluidity off the ground was never as seamless as Lindsay's.

Kasey
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Peak Pierce.

Stonerpova
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Pierce could maybe hit harder, but no one hit the ball cleaner than Lindsay.

n1_and_uh_noone
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
In other words, peak Pierce vs peak Davenport... Is everyone here braindead? Would peak LIndsay humiliate Jesus, Mike Tyson and Federer? :rolleyes: Thought not. Try harder next time.

Alejandrawrrr
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:13 PM
No poll? P. Pierce was great to watch the <5 times she showed up, but Lindsay wins this by far. For me the slight advantage I'd say Pierce had in raw pace at her ABSOLUTE apex is nowhere near enough to compensate for the discrepancy between the two in terms of match to match consistency. And is it even worth it? Either way when both ladies really dialed in with their groundstrokes the opponent was toast more often than not :lol:

Juanes
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Mary :inlove:

Mr.Sharapova
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Lindsay for sure.

Dominic
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cleaner Lindsay, harder Pierce

HRHoliviasmith
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Lindsay for sure. The fluidity of her strokes were BREATHTAKING. So flat and so ACCURATE. I miss watching her play. No doubt Mary had that explosive power, but I think Linds would be able to match her power...

this this this!

LightWarrior
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Pierce hits faster but Davenport hits better. It always looked like Pierce's racquet was strung to death.

$uricate
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:02 PM
What a question.

Peak Pierce obviously :shrug:

She'd also be writing the sequel to the bible whilst hitting the ball.

thrust
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
No one hit the ball better than Lindsay Davenport.

I think I read that Henin said Lindsay hit the hardest of anyone she played on tour, so she had to put in more effort to return a forceful shot. She was usually exhausted after playing Lindsay.

Sund7101
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM
To mimic what others have already said. Mary hit bigger than Lindsay at times, but Lindsay hit cleaner Too bad they weren't a few steps quicker. With that being said, I would take Seles's strokes over both. I think she took the ball the earliest and was the most accurate in her prime.

UDACHi
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM
lindsay had the cleanest, purest strokes i've ever seen, still.

WowWow
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Lindsay, no doubt.

Stonerpova
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:14 PM
What a question.

Peak Pierce obviously :shrug:

She'd also be writing the sequel to the bible whilst hitting the ball.

:spit:

Probably my favorite post of all time.

Charlatan
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Kvitova da best 1111

No poll? P. Pierce was great to watch the <5 times she showed up

:lol:

Lindsay's are more fluid and effortless; while Pierce's, pacier and heavier

Nicolás89
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Davenport. :haha: :spit:

moby
Nov 29th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Peak Pierce doesn't have to be in position to hit winners. She even frames shots for winners.

Bayo
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I miss Lindsay's game more than any former player. The sound of the ball coming off her racquet was perfection.

LeonHart
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Pierce, but average from ball to ball, Davenport.

SymphonyX
Nov 30th, 2012, 05:43 AM
In terms of power shots, Peak Pierce > everyone else. I'd rather face a firing squad than be target practice for le peak Pierce. lawl. But seriously, Davenport hits the ball so cleanly on a much more consistent basis. Impeccable technique.

crazillo
Nov 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM

This.
(Thread can be closed. :lol: )

starin
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
In terms of power shots, Peak Pierce > everyone else. I'd rather face a firing squad than be target practice for le peak Pierce. lawl. But seriously, Davenport hits the ball so cleanly on a much more consistent basis. Impeccable technique.

Nope, that title still belongs to Serena when she really goes after it.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Both of them could hit a very big ball but I'd trust Lindsay to produce a high standard of hitting on a more consistent basis. Pierce had more power but tennis isn't always about how hard you hit the ball so I'd plump for Lindsay too.

lindsay had the cleanest, purest strokes i've ever seen, still.
These.

Now close the thread :lol:

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Pierce was one of the few who could overpower Lindsay.

KMJTOOzLNQo

momo_rama
Dec 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think Mary had the flashier shots that could leave anyone in the dust. But Lindsay's were more suffocating because they were close to the lines and very hard to control. Watching highlights of Lindsay her winners weren't always amazingly high but she could almost hit through her opponents.

*Jool*
Dec 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
it would still be Lindsay IMO

lympyisthebest
Dec 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM
The sound when Lindsay hit the ball :drool:

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Mary might hit "faster" balls but I think Lindsay would hit the "heavier" ball out of the two. You got to like the height advantage here ... plus I think Lindsay would be able to do it more often (when getting into position on time) than Mary without it causing any other issues.

Perfectly said :). I think ( when in prime position ) Lindsay hits the ball cleaner, harder and with more precision than any player... ever :)

JCTennisFan
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
It is a toss up really in my opinion.

Davenport was able to, without a doubt, produce her dominating power alot more consistently then Pierce could.

When Mary was in form (which was not nearly as often of course) she did seem to have an extra explosiveness over Lindsay... but even then not by alot.

Mary ultimately just moved better (and arguably hit a much better shot on the run) which made her a more well rounded player than Davenport.

Beat
Dec 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM

this. period.

markdelaney
Dec 2nd, 2012, 05:51 PM
The tennis Mary Pierce produced in her first 6 matches at the 1994 French Open was the most devastating I had ever seen at the time. I never saw Lindsay play that well even at her peak.

hurricanejeanne
Dec 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
I miss Lindsay's game more than any former player. The sound of the ball coming off her racquet was perfection.

This.

But Lindsay for all the previously aforementioned reasons. Mary was flashy, and a natural ball striker but Lindsay was just better ball to ball than Mary. If in position, Lindsay had a better chance at hitting a winning shot than Mary who could mishit more often. And I think Lindsay could control Mary's pace better than a lot of players where Mary tended to struggle with Lindsay's ball placement in addition to her pace.

n1_and_uh_noone
Dec 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Peak Pierce slays all.

Trough Pierce is slayed by all.

Baseline (equilibrium point) Pierce is a toss-up and probably slayed by most good players.

Deestruction
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
These two of definitely my faves for sure, of course Steffi wins these two when it comes to the greatest fh ever,but to be honest I love Lindsay and Mary because they have more power than Steffi. To be honest they both should be on top of Steffi when it comes to the greatest powerful fh in the modern game. Lindsay is the more consistent and beautifully cleaner shot, while Mary is the most powerful shot. But i love their peak days so much. :drool:

Deestruction
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
aHNckByFrEM

Serenita
Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Linds she had a cleaner shot imo. her motion was more fluid then Pierce

BartoliBabes
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Lindsay was way more consistent

iHeartTroyBolton
Dec 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
Mahree had a better chance for a real blockbuster, but Linds had a more consistent shot.

I'd take Mary though.