PDA

View Full Version : WTA Player Awards: Errani is WTA's Most Improved Player Of The Year

Natural Joe
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Well deserved :yeah:

I also opened a thread in doubles forum for the Doubles Team Of The Year award.

Italy had a lot to cheer for on the WTA this year, not only in singles, but in doubles too - and now they have two WTA Player Awards to celebrate as well, with Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci taking Doubles Team Of The Year and Errani receiving Most Improved Player.

Errani's rocket-like rise up the singles ranks could have been one of the most impressive feats in recent memory. Having finished the last four years in the 40s, she finished 2012 all the way up at No.6 after winning four WTA titles - all on clay - and reaching her first Grand Slam final on clay as well, at the French Open. After that tournament the Italian became the first player ever to make her Top 10 debut from outside the Top 20, going from No.24 to No.10, and after more impressive results on hardcourts she would creep up to year-end No.6.

Then there was the historic doubles season - having already won a slew of International-level titles together in recent years, Errani and Vinci took it to a whole new level in 2012, capturing eight WTA doubles titles - including two Grand Slams at the French Open and US Open and Premier-level titles at Madrid and Rome - and both spent time as the No.1 doubles player in the world. Their win at Roland Garros made them the first all-Italian duo in the Open Era to win a Grand Slam doubles title, and they repeated the feat at the US Open.

Errani was thrilled about her WTA Player Awards double whammy.

"I'm very happy to have been voted Most Improved Player, and Doubles Team Of The Year too. It has been an incredible year for me - so many matches in singles and doubles. It may be an unrepeatable year, but I'll try to continue like this and give everything I have on the court in every match. And as for the doubles, I'm very happy to share all these results with my best friend, Roberta."

Errani is the third Italian ever to crack the Top 10 in singles, currently spending her 25th week inside the elite (Flavia Pennetta was the first and spent 11 weeks inside, while Francesca Schiavone was the second and spent 70 weeks inside). Errani and Vinci are also the second and third players ever to reach No.1 in doubles (Pennetta was the first to do so, doing so in 2011).

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20121128/wta-player-awards-team-most-improved_2256076_2993864

NashaMasha
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Still WTA is flawless in its decisions. Sarita!!! Congrats

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:50 AM
It was a tie between her and Kerber, but since Sara came from third rounds to finals in Slam this is probably the best decision ;) Kerber has nothing to regret or to be angry about...

Melange
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
its a good award, she won a lot more titles and made a final

Royals.
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Sorry but Kerber deserved this. Ridiculous decision.

Kəv.
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM
^ not really, Kerber had already improved in 2011, Errani won many titles and reached even further then Kerber on all of Grand Slams

Edit: except for Wimbledon where she got golden settled :tape:

Melange
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:50 AM
not to mention the doubles. she did all this while playing doubles matches as well

DomenicDemaria
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
^ not really, Kerber had already improved in 2011, Errani won many titles and reached even further then Kerber on all of Grand Slams

I agree, Kerber broke through last year at the USO and Errani broke through this year at RG.

Natural Joe
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:10 AM

To answer your post in the same style you'd answer it if someone said that in the thread about Robson:

PRESSED. Sweetie get your hating backside outta here. Laura Sara won the award and there's nothing you can do about it. :wavey:

Maybe it helps you to realize that opinions can differ and that there's never a reason to resort to childish posts about how everyone's pressed. ;) Why not provide some arguments to back up your claim that Kerber deserved this more than Errani?

coolfish1103
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Congratulations to Errani and Vinci. Great results to back up the award.

To answer your post in the same style you'd answer it if someone said that in the thread about Robson:

Maybe it helps you to realize that opinions can differ and that there's never a reason to resort to childish posts about how everyone's pressed. ;) Why not provide some arguments to back up your claim that Kerber deserved this more than Errani?

:oh:

Trickle
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Reluctantly deserved. It will be interesting to see if she can keep it up.

danieln1
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Reaching Wimbledon semi final, trashing Clijsters 6-1 6-1, defeating Sharapova in Paris and winning a Premier title, defeating Serena Williams, it seems is not enough to win a most improved award these days.... Apart from the US Open semi last year, Kerber did nothing outstanding, this year she improved tons :rolleyes:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Didnt errani own kerber twice on two different surfaces this year? Now she is owning her offcourt as well :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using VerticalSports.Com App

Pasta-Na
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hheeee :cheer:

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Reaching Wimbledon semi final, trashing Clijsters 6-1 6-1, defeating Sharapova in Paris and winning a Premier title, defeating Serena Williams, it seems is not enough to win a most improved award these days.... Apart from the US Open semi last year, Kerber did nothing outstanding, this year she improved tons :rolleyes:

Angelique has the best wins, Sara has the best results between them.
In every Slam except Wimbledon, Errani has better results than Kerber, she has gained more places in the ranking and in Doubles she won with Vinci a lot of important titles.
It was a hard decision, I am sure of that, but this is probably the most right.
Everyone could easily say, replying to you: isn't a Grand Slam final in singles and Grand slam titles in doubles a greater improvement than Kerber's one, considering Errani's career and results until 2011? :)

Kəv.
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
stop being so pressed :o

she won it and thats that.

bobito
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Well done Sara, fully deserved this.

Uranus
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Well deserved. Sara made a slam F + SF + QF (Kerber with 1 SF and 2 QF), coming from 3rd rounds at best while Kerber broke through last year. Won a ton of titles. Made top 10 from outside top 30. She's the most improved player this year.

Pops Maellard
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM
At least they got this award right ;):yeah:.

FORZA SARITA
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Sara :cheer:
next year she will win the "biggest flop of the year" award but who cares :oh:

bjurra
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I doubt anyone will improve as much in 2013.

Melange
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Sara :cheer:
next year she will win the "biggest flop of the year" award but who cares :oh:

injured after too many matches

Petkovic
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Tough choice between Angie and Sara, but I agree with the WTAs decision because Kerbers rise already started at the USO last year :)

Raiden
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Sorry but Kerber deserved this. Ridiculous decision.https://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/shipment_of_fail.jpg

Your attempt to stir shit won't work, sweety, cuz unlike yer fave who stole the other prize, both Errani & Kerber are universally recognized standout nominations far ahead of everyone else.

AnnieIWillKnow
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Well deserved - came from completely off the radar to a slam QF, SF and Final. Will be interesting to see whether she can maintain top 10 next year.

lenas warriors
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Have been tempted to start a fall cometh for Ms Errani- will wait until AO for this.

Petronius
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Well deserved for the little Italian with big fighting spirit :cheer:

But I hope Andi or Lucie will take over that No.1 doubles ranking very soon :lol:

Ollie.
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Well done Sara! :cheer:

Chaosm21
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Both deserved it, Errani didn`t have so many great matches, but she was good at slams, defeated Kerber twice and was GOAT in doubles :yeah:

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Still a limited talentless player who can't beat real players if they're playing well.

But congratulations :yeah:

Jimmie48
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
For once a decision that can't be argued with :)

chuvack
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Still a limited talentless player who can't beat real players if they're playing well.

What a classy statement.

Errani is a fun, scrappy player and she really deserved the award based on her results. However, I suspect we haven't heard the last about her connection with Dr Luis del Moral, given the reports about him recently...

Natural Joe
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM

A talentless tennis player doesn't make it to #6 in singles and #1 in doubles. Simple as that.

Zamboni
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Some people are so pressed :hug:

Sara went from 44 (even was at 46 for a week) to 6 in singles and from 27 to 1 (now 2) in doubles. Tell me how on earth someone else would deserve this award more?:lol:

stromatolite
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Completely deserved. Angie also deserves a lot of credit, but I think Sara's improvement this year has been more dramatic.

Roookie
Nov 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM

WTF?. Errani beat the crap out of Kerber in slams this year.

Royals.
Nov 28th, 2012, 03:20 PM
https://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/shipment_of_fail.jpg

Your attempt to stir shit won't work, sweety, cuz unlike yer fave who stole the other prize, both Errani & Kerber are universally recognized standout nominations far ahead of everyone else.

Oh purlease. :wavey:

MS
Nov 28th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Congrats Sara. Well deserved :D

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I think both Sara and Angie had amazing years but I think Sara's success in doubles really did deservedly tip the balance in her favour for this award. Both girls had amazing years that would have justified winning this award but with Sara's doubles success combined to her singles success, she really did put together a season in which she couldn't be denied this award.

JarkaFish
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think both Sara and Angie had amazing years but I think Sara's success in doubles really did deservedly tip the balance in her favour for this award. Both girls had amazing years that would have justified winning this award but with Sara's doubles success combined to her singles success, she really did put together a season in which she couldn't be denied this award.

Your signature is great! :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Both deserved it, Errani didn`t have so many great matches, but she was good at slams, defeated Kerber twice and was GOAT in doubles :yeah:

Yup, that's how I see it, with the part I bolded being the real key in deciding this award.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Angelique had an amazing year. Most years it would have been enough. But Sara had even better Slam results, more titles and most significantly she rocked in both singles and doubles whereas Angie just rocked in singles.

pesto
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Both had great years, but in terms of being "most improved", the WTA have it right. There was absolutely nothing to presage Sara's year.

It'll be interesting to see whether she can maintain a high ranking in years to come.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM

So is Sammy not a real player? Or does she just not play well often enough? :shrug:

That's two losses in a row, Sammy has had against Sara, and given what I've seen in those two matches, I know who I would put my money on the next time they faced each other and it wouldn't be the Aussie.

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM
So is Sammy not a real player? Or does she just not play well often enough? :shrug:

Sam has beaten good players in form, Errani is Queen Vulture.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
What does Queen Vulture mean? I mean, I know what it means :lol: But I don't see the logic..? Errani is a bird? :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Sam has beaten good players in form, Errani is Queen Vulture.

So when Sam beats a top 10 player they were in form and it was a great performance by Sammy but when Sara beats them they weren't in form and Sara was lucky. Okay. Hmm...I see how your mind is thinking. But seriously.... Do you really think that kind of logic is going to convince anyone? Do you actually believe that yourself? :eek:

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
So when Sam beats a top 10 player they were in form and it was a great performance by Sammy but when Sara beats them they weren't in form and Sara was lucky. Okay. Hmm...I see how your mind is thinking. But seriously.... Do you really think that kind of logic is going to convince anyone? Do you actually believe that yourself? :eek:

I don't mean top 10 players, I mean GREAT players

TIExEzYaXgE

peak Errani would have lost this match 6-2 6-1 against this Sam and 6-2 6-3 against this Serena

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I don't think Stosur can be considered yet a great player, she is a good one, but great players are Williams, Sharapova, Hingis etc..
And Stosur plays like that one-two times for a year, while her middle level does not show a great player sorry :lol: A good Errani can win against a good Stosur, and she made it twice this year.
I am not trying to say that Sara is better than Samantha.. but all the players have some good days. Safarova, for example, can be great some days, but terrible some other. The same can be said for Stosur, there is no sense to create a legend for some matches played well. If Stosur would play even half days like that, she would be easily one of the best players in the world, but she does not because she cannot substain that level of play, and that is why a player like Errani has been a better player in this season.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
What is the sense of referring to a Peak, when Peak appear one-two days for year? Let's refer to everyday's game, which is more fair. Otherwise the player who hits the ball harder at her Peak would be better than everyone else, but this obviously does not happen.
Stosur is a good player, but her Peak form is simply too rare to consider her a great player.
No doubt Errani is not near to Peak Stosur, but she does not need that. With constancy and good results, she is just building herself as a better player than Samantha, you like it or not.

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
No doubt Errani is not near to Peak Stosur, but she does not need that. With constancy and good results, she is just building herself as a better player than Samantha, you like it or not.

It's just sad what self-delusion can do to you, call me when Errani gets 1/3 of Sam's career or gets to beat a non-slumping great player. What the fuck am I talking about? Call me when Errani is not a 'take out the trash' subject for great players :lol:

XqckgDOgS9U

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Self-delusional? :confused: In a year she has had better results than Samantha everywhere: even on grass, where she has been destroyed by Shvedova, she still had a better season than Stosur.
On clay, she even defeated her to get a Slam Final, which Stosur misses this year.
On hard, results speak.
Stosur may be better than Errani now, but I am ready to beat that Sara will be better than Samantha in next years. Hard work has won over Stosur this season, that is all ;)

Deestruction
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Very good choice, Sara really shined this year in many levels :bowdown:

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Let's give a look at players Errani and Stosur lost to this year, not considering the real great players and losses by retirements:

Stosur

Benesova
Schiavone
Cirstea
Hradecka
Errani x2
Flipkens
Rus
Suarez Navarro
Safarova
Goerges
Chang

Errani

Babos
King
Stephens
Stosur
Bondarenko
Shvedova

Just to confirm my theory that Sara is more costant, while Samantha could lose to worse players more often than Errani.

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Let's give a look at players Errani and Stosur lost to this year, not considering the real great players and losses by retirements:

Stosur

Benesova
Schiavone
Cirstea
Hradecka
Errani x2
Flipkens
Rus
Suarez Navarro
Safarova
Goerges
Chang

Errani

Babos
King
Stephens
Stosur
Bondarenko
Shvedova

Just to confirm my theory that Sara is more costant, while Samantha could lose to worse players more often than Errani.

And who is saying that Errani didn't have a better season than Sam? I'm just saying that a lot of people, including me, won't respect Errani until she stops being a punchbag for great players, and wins a Premier title. But especially not losing like this against great players, she needs to show that she's able to compete with them, if she actually is of course.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
And why denying that in the future she could have a better career than Sam?

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
And why denying that in the future she could have a better career than Sam?

Because it's unlikely as Sam is a much better player than her. Why denying that the world won't end on December 21st? You can't know for sure :lol: But of course, you'll naturally deny it :shrug:

JarkaFish
Nov 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Errani's already won double the amount of titles Sam has. :snicker:

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
But Sam is not a much better player than her, that's the point. If she were she would always defeat her, would have a better place in the ranking and would not have so many losses to, with all the respect, random players.
I am pretty sure you would have never bet a single cent on Errani if you had been asked: "Do you think Errani will have a much better season than Stosur?", but facts showed she had. And you are 100 % sure that Stosur will always be and will always have greater results than her?

Sara will be able to compete with best players, I am sure of this. Some years ago she was not able to get these results, important wins will come with time. And with great players I mean Azarenka, Sharapova and Williams sisters at the moment, because she already put up fights or even gets wins when other high ranked women :)

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:04 PM
And who is saying that Errani didn't have a better season than Sam? I'm just saying that a lot of people, including me, won't respect Errani until she stops being a punchbag for great players, and wins a Premier title. But especially not losing like this against great players, she needs to show that she's able to compete with them, if she actually is of course.

You mean like Sammy is to Venus (6-1) Clijsters (5-0) Azarenka (7-0) Kvitova (3-0) and Sharapova (11-2)? :shrug:

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM
You mean like Sammy is to Venus (6-1) Clijsters (5-0) Azarenka (7-0) Kvitova (3-0) and Sharapova (11-2)?

Now show me Errani's victories over Sharapova, Serena, Li, Radwanska, Wozniacki, Jankovic, Zvonareva, players that Sam has beaten more than once (except for Venus).

Now against Clijsters, Azarenka or Kvitova.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM
She can't be considered a great player sorry, she wins a match against them 1 time on 10 matches played probably.
I have to say this again: a win sometimes against a great player does not make you a great player, if you have many bad losses and your real level of play is one of a player ranked in Top 10. Yes, she can play as a player in Top 20, Top 5 even, but this is not her real level, and results prove it.
I don't think there are fans of Sara who consider her a great player or a Top player at all, because at the moment she is not. But seeing as fastly she is progressing, it will be a question of time to become better than a good player like Stosur maybe, or maybe she will return to the level of previous years :) You can't exclude anything, this is tennis!

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I don't think there are fans of Sara who consider her a great player or a Top player at all, because at the moment she is not. But seeing as fastly she is progressing, it will be a question of time to become better than a good player like Stosur :)

The thing is that if Sam could do it once, she can obviously do it again (unlike you, I can't predict the future and tell if she will), but at least she's shown she's capable of doing great things, Errani hasn't. And you know Hingis was progressing to become a double digit Grand Slam champion before the 1999 RG final.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Now show me Errani's victories over Sharapova, Serena, Li, Radwanska, Wozniacki, Jankovic, Zvonareva, players that Sam has beaten more than once (except for Venus).

Now against Clijsters, Azarenka or Kvitova.

It is very simple really. Stosur has been a top 20 standard player for 4 years and a top 10 standard player for 3 years. Sara has been a top 10 standard player for 1 year. If we compared Sara's stats now to Sammy's three years ago, actually Sara's stats would be better, significantly so.

Quite simply Sara has done more right now than Sammy did at the same age. In 3 years time Sara might have a quite favourable record to what Sammy has now. Or she may not. We don't know, only time will tell us that. But quite frankly if someone was posting what you are posting right now about Sammy three years ago I would say that they were being pretty foolish. As Sara has actually done better this year than Sammy did three years ago it is very hard not to think the same about you.

Zamboni
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
How did this become a discussion of whether Sara is a great player, and whether she or Sam is "greater"? :scratch:

This award is not to tell how great she is, it's to show how much she improved. Since people are whining about how she's not beating top players, here's a stat - Sara had never beaten a top10 player before Roland Garros. Since then, she is 4-5 against them. Amazing record? No. Big improvement? Definitely.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
The thing is that if Sam could do it once, she can obviously do it again (unlike you, I can't predict the future and tell if she will), but at least she's shown she's capable of doing great things, Errani hasn't. And you know Hingis was progressing to become a double digit Grand Slam champion before the 1999 RG final.

I immediately changed the sense of my post after publishing it, because I was sure I had forgot something, and in fact I added something in the last sentence which makes all this part:

he thing is that if Sam could do it once, she can obviously do it again (unlike you, I can't predict the future and tell if she will)

wrong.
Did not Errani show she is capable of great things? She got to a Slam Final, a Slam Semifinal, a Slam Quarterfinal and other remarkable results in doubles, three titles in a single season in singles, and has improved her game so much! She can even fight against players who were simply playing much better than her in the past.
Stosur has made great things, and so Errani did. And maybe Errani will be better than Stosur, who knows. Why is that so hard to consider? Even if Sara will become better than Samantha, Samantha will always be a good player for everything she won until today alone. We could simply have another very good player together with Sam, or maybe they will become both great in the future ;)

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
But quite frankly if someone was posting what you are posting right now about Sammy three years ago I would say that they were being pretty foolish. As Sara has actually done better this year than Sammy did three years ago it is very hard not to think the same about you.

I guess so but when I became a fan of Sam in mid 2008 I saw in her that she was Grand Slam champion material and that she had a game that with a couple of adjustments could be able to compete with the very best. Errani? Of course she's capable of winning a Grand Slam, all she needs is good players to tank against her, if she has (or will have) the game to compete against the very best? I don't think so.

simonsaystennis
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I'm not an Errani fan by any means, but she is far and away the most improved player on tour. I don't think anyone could have predicted her rise to the top 10. Well deserved award.

Arthur.
Nov 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I guess so but when I became a fan of Sam in mid 2008 I saw in her that she was Grand Slam champion material and that she had a game that with a couple of adjustments could be able to compete with the very best. Errani? Of course she's capable of winning a Grand Slam, all she needs is good players to tank against her, if she has (or will have) the game to compete against the very best? I don't think so.

Very sad and unfair post, sorry. You basically delete any possible credit from Sara before knowing how things will go :rolleyes: I don't understand your hate for Errani but I cannot make you change your idea, I just hope you remember that, before being a player, Errani is a person and you are simply not respecting her.

Darop.
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:09 PM
The reason for which people keep arguing with Sammo baffles me :shrug:

He's a Stosur groupie who acts and thinks like a 7 year old, who hates Errani because... well because he's ignorant and has no clue what tennis is all about. You're wasting your time people! :wavey:

Halepsova
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I thought Farina Elia was the first Italian to crack top 10. :confused:

Kon.
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Very well deserved. Errani was quite clearly the most improved this season.
To those who say Kerber, the difference between Errani's 2011 and 2012 is much bigger compared to Angie's, even if their results this year were equal.

Craig.
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I can't think of anyone who deserves it more tbh.

edificio
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Good choice. I picked her on the WTA's poll anyway for most improved player.

Natural Joe
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Her highest ranking was 11 (May 20 2002).

FORZA SARITA
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM

she never made it :sad:

Jajaloo
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Not improved enough to evade a golden set.

Kerber should've won this.

Sammo
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Why? I'm just talking about her as a player :lol: You're acting as if I was calling her a bitch. I'm just giving my opinion about her game, it doesn't necessarily mean it will become true.

I just want to let y'all know that I deleted this post because Darop gave me a good rep for it starting 'Hi boy, here's a good rep...' or something as pedophilic as that, so it makes me sick to think everytime I visit my CP it will be there

MS
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Not improved enough to evade a golden set.

Do you mean that a very bad set in a whole amazing season should have been the criteria to decide the award?. Oh well.....for me it is hard to understand how many people can't recognise when someone has done things well, I do even when I don't like a player, admiting she has done well....

faboozadoo15
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Well deserved. Sara made a slam F + SF + QF (Kerber with 1 SF and 2 QF), coming from 3rd rounds at best while Kerber broke through last year. Won a ton of titles. Made top 10 from outside top 30. She's the most improved player this year.

Sara easily deserved this award. She's had a stellar season. Knowing her work ethic, I don't expect too big a backslide either. It is a big question whether she can start competing with and beating the very best. But that's a question all the other ladies need to answer in 2013. Serena/Vika/Maria ran through everyone all year.

Fighterpova
Nov 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Congrats!

Definitely most improved this year. She won 4 titles, but made a GS final, a Semi and a Quarter. She won so many matches this year and also achieved a lot in doubles too.

Kerber had fantastic wins, but result wise, Errani had a better year.