PDA

View Full Version : Which world #5 is the best player at her peak? Hantuchova, Chakvetadze or Kerber?

Julian.
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:14 AM
As of the end 2012, 3 active players have a highest ranking of world #5. They are Daniela Hantuchova, Anna Chakvetadze and Angelique Kerber. Some people claim that they don't deserve to be ranked inside the Top 5.

All three of them reached the semifinal of grand slam. (The furthest round they've reached so far at grand slam). Hantuchova at AO08, Chakvetadze at USO07, Kerber at USO11 and W12.

Who is the best player at her peak?

JCTennisFan
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:41 AM
From what I have seen thus far... Kerber.

Hantuchova was a 2nd tier power player whom moved poorly. Her career high rank was in 2002 IIRC and that was a period where Serena, Venus, Capriati, etc hogged up all the points and left little to be distributed to the other players... which produced some odd ranking results that year. Hantuchova was one of those odd ranking outcomes... at her best she really should have been relegated to the bottom rung of the top 10.

Chaky overachieved... point blank. Like Hantuchova she honestly shouldnt have gotten higher than maybe 7 or 8 in the world.

Shonami Slam
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:00 AM
for her period of 12 months, a-chak was breaking players mentally and winning with effortless tennis.
her# 5 was justified, imo.

as for hantuchova, she has too many bad years in her resume, though peak level is brilliant counter tennis... its just that she doesnt do much other than that due to her lack of movement.

kerber might still snach the# 4 spot. she was two errani losses away from having a really outstanding year.

Julian.
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Hantuchova was a 2nd tier power player whom moved poorly. Her career high rank was in 2002 IIRC and that was a period where Serena, Venus, Capriati, etc hogged up all the points and left little to be distributed to the other players... which produced some odd ranking results that year. Hantuchova was one of those odd ranking outcomes... at her best she really should have been relegated to the bottom rung of the top 10.

Isn't the same thing happened this year where Azarenka, Sharapova and Serena basically hogged up all the points this year? :lol:

So we can say the same thing to Kerber? :lol:

saint2
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hantuchova>Chakvetadze>>>>>>>>>Kerber

Wiggly
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hantuchova could've been a Top Ten player for much more years had she been mentally stable back in 2003.

monmonito
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Daniela

Sammo
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
At their peaks Hantuchova is better than Chakvetadze, and Kerber will never be remotely as good as any of the 2.

crazillo
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hantuchova could've been a Top Ten player for much more years had she been mentally stable back in 2003.

You always seem to defend Daniela. This thread (in contrast to the Maleeva/Rubin/Hantuchova/Schnyder thread) asks about the player's peak tennis though.

And in this regard, I have to go with Chakvedatze. She was able to take apart players almost effortless. I think she was really good - but only for a year unfortunately. As this thread is about peaks, I would go with her.

Nalby fan
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Angie has too many great wins this year for me to vote for anyone else.

Anna and Dani always seemed to come up short against the very best.

Inger67
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Voted Hantuchova without thinking much about this.

Want to change my vote to Kerber now :sobbing:

MB.
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Dani.

Chak is my favorite, though.

Anyways, I hate these peak v. peak. Obviously, an aggressive baseliner hits a "better" peak, but it's sustained for less time throughout the year than someone who's more of a CP/defensive (aka Chak).

Stonerpova
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hantuchova is so overrated. It's clearly Kerber.

GOATdin0931
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Dani :bowdown:

RobinT83
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Kerber, easily.

Sammo
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Kerber's style, even if effective, is just hideous. And she's just not able to produce this kind of tennis :o

F-bmnqYaXEE

(until 6-0 2-0 of course :sobbing:)

But peak Kerber is certainly mentally stronger than peak Hantuchova. Well I guess, Kerber hasn't won a title near as big as Indian Wells, which Hantuchova has won twice :oh: And she hasn't defeated a player as good as Justine Henin in a GS 7-6 in the third.

Edit: Kerber lost in straight sets to Yakimova last year, she's done for me :lol:

evana
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hantuchova >> Kerber >>>>>>>> Czakvetadze

RobinT83
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Kerber, for peak level.
Hantuchova, for technique/prettiest strokes.

Mixal
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Kerber's style, even if effective, is just hideous. And she's just not able to produce this kind of tennis :o

F-bmnqYaXEE

(until 6-0 2-0 of course :sobbing:)

What a terrible HLs from the 1st two sets :lol:

It's hard for me to choose between Angie and Anna.

Sammo
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
What a terrible HLs from the 1st two sets :lol:

It's hard for me to choose between Angie and Anna.

http://www.riendoconmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/GaspHand.png

To be honest I don't even remember it, it's been like 2 years since I first/last watched the highlights of the not-to-be-mentioned match, but I thought Daniela was playing some really good tennis, not taking stupid risks like she always does and having the timing of a swiss watch.

Gentleman
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
It is Hantuchova.

Dawson.
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Kerber. And she hasn't even peaked yet.

homogenius
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM
probably dani cause when everything is clicking she has enough weapons to compensate her subpar movement and can generally win fast enough not to have the time to choke (the vid posted is not a good example tho :o)

Sammo
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:29 PM
probably dani cause when everything is clicking she has enough weapons to compensate her subpar movement and can generally win fast enough not to have the time to choke (the vid posted is not a good example tho :o)

I know, the only top player she's ever defeated after giving her a bagel is Elena Bovina :lol::hysteric:

borrowedheaven
Nov 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Hantuchova hits a clean ball but what else can she do? Whenever she faces one of the big guns playing well, she's thoroughly outclassed. At least Chackvetadze and Kerber have an atypical game that can cause some problems.

I love Anna, but the answer is Kerber.

Jane Lane
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM
CheKsyAc0d4

In case anyone needs a refresher course on Peak Chakvetadze.

Bismarck.
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Edit: Kerber lost in straight sets to Yakimova last year, she's done for me :lol:

Hantuchova once lost to Melanie Gloria, who wasn't even ranked in the top 1000. Fail.

Viktymise
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Probably Kerber. Although we have to see if this year was just an anomaly or not.

Chakvetadze's and Hantucova's 07 and 02 seasons respectively were very much career anomalies. Outside of those years, only Hantuchova managed to knock (briefly) on the door of the top 10 again in her 11 year career. She was pretty much a punchbag for the elite for the majority of her career. And I like Chaky, but her string of results from Moscow 06 - USO 07 was definitely an overachievement.

Nicolás89
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Even Hantuchova has a peak!?

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz247/andvip/Gifs/janin2.gif

Joana
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:48 AM
It says so much about Hantuchova that apparently the best match of her career is the one she ended up losing.

It's Kerber, quite easily.

Stonerpova
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:32 AM
It says so much about Hantuchova that apparently the best match of her career is the one she ended up losing.

That's what I'm saying :lol:

Someone will probs post HL of her FO win over Woz in response.

homogenius
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM

tbf she often imploded in matches she should have win and ended up losing some despite playing great tennis (like a match vs venus some years ago)but she was not always on the losing end for her whole career.She also had big wins (for example in 2002 she dismanteled Henin and Hingis ot win Indian wells and beat henin again in a final set tb at the USO).
And as Griffin nicely pointed out (:oh:), when she feels like it she can still gift to the tennis world some gems like this one :

5lHkyVUEWnk

:drool: (too bad woz managed to dubiously avoid the bagel though)

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 03:05 AM
tbf she often imploded in matches she should have win and ended up losing some despite playing great tennis (like a match vs venus some years ago)but she was not always on the losing end for her whole career.She also had big wins (for example in 2002 she dismanteled Henin and Hingis ot win Indian wells and beat henin again in a final set tb at the USO).
And as Griffin nicely pointed out (:oh:), when she feels like it she can still gift to the tennis world some gems like this one :

5lHkyVUEWnk

:drool: (too bad woz managed to dubiously avoid the bagel though)

IMHO this video is more a show of how a B-level Powerplayer can take the control of rallies against Woz and boss her around rather than a show of how nice Hantuchova's game can be.

Not enough weapons and too slow a mover to be much more than what she has been. Even still though she has accomplished alot and has much to be proud of.

Volcana
Nov 27th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hantuchova.

But we've seen the best of Hantuchova. Kerber has YEARS of upside left. Ask this again in three years.

UDACHi
Nov 27th, 2012, 05:21 AM
my 100% biased vote goes to chakvetadze. :inlove: as for the others: kerber could still improve, it's definitely early to be putting her with 2 players who will never get to #4. hantuchova is just so overrated on here because of her flashy game and huge fanbase.

Arthur.
Nov 27th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Hantuchova.

But we've seen the best of Hantuchova. Kerber has YEARS of upside left. Ask this again in three years.

I agree :)
For sure it is not Chakvetadze. Kerber, who is in my opinion not at her Peak, is currently a better player than Anna was in her most glorious moments.

Harry.
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I think it's hard to compare Kerber with the other two, only because she still has so much more to give. But I'd definitely say Hantuchova. She'd really have been higher than no. 5 if she sorted her head out. When she's on, she just strikes such a clean ball. She can pretty much beat anyone when she's on.

Like this:
rv6ovu8My08

King Halep
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:38 AM
36 2005 LUXEMBOURG HARD R16D. Hantuchova6-4 6-119 (5)
34 2006 WARSAWCLAY R16 A.Chakvetadze6-4 6-316 (9)
10 (7) 2007 OME CLAY R16 D. Hantuchova6-3 6-314 (9)
8 (3) 2007'S-HERTOGENBOSCH GRASSS A.Chakvetadze6-3 6-410 (5)
7 (1) 2007 STANFORD HARDS A.Chakvetadze6-7(6) 6-3 6-212 (3)
23 (22) 2009 MIAMIHARD R64 A.Chakvetadze6-3 6-143
51 2011 DUBAI HARD R64 A.Chakvetadze6-1 6-329

Even when she was off form she was still winning in straight sets :worship:

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/zevavavoom/mohawksealofapproval.png

Sombrerero loco
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
chakvetadze easily

markdelaney
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Chakvetadze had one exceptional year where draws fell very kindly to her, to vastly exaggerate her ranking. She beat only 2 Top25 players (Schnyder and Peer) In making QF AUS + French plus the semis of the US in her peak year 2007. I never saw anything in her game to suggest she could stay in the top 5

Hantuchova only beat one top 20 player in 2008 and had nobody ranked higher than 26 on the way to the semi finals of the AUS Open but in 2002 she beat Dokic and Henin to make QF of Wimbledon and US and was unfortunate enough to have Serena waiting for her in the last 8 each time

Kerber still has time to go one better but she could have peaked already . Time will tell.

I'd pick Daniela from 2002/2003. Her level then was higher than the other 2.

Tezuka.
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
36 2005 LUXEMBOURG HARD R16D. Hantuchova6-4 6-119 (5)
34 2006 WARSAWCLAY R16 A.Chakvetadze6-4 6-316 (9)
10 (7) 2007 OME CLAY R16 D. Hantuchova6-3 6-314 (9)
8 (3) 2007'S-HERTOGENBOSCH GRASSS A.Chakvetadze6-3 6-410 (5)
7 (1) 2007 STANFORD HARDS A.Chakvetadze6-7(6) 6-3 6-212 (3)
23 (22) 2009 MIAMIHARD R64 A.Chakvetadze6-3 6-143
51 2011 DUBAI HARD R64 A.Chakvetadze6-1 6-329

Even when she was off form she was still winning in straight sets :worship:

:worship:

JoPova
Nov 27th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Angelique Kerber

monmonito
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
we can still see more for Kerber
Chakvetadze I dont know she looks like she's going to retire but hoping she can still play some big tournaments
Dani in terms of talent is the beter than the 2 players..problem is her movement but she still the best #5 I think

Otlichno
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
In terms of who's game is the best at their peak. I think it's Daniela on any surface other than clay. Kerber on clay, though I think even Peak Kerber's serve is quite attackable.

Petkorazzi
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Kind of hard to compare because while we've most likely seen the peaks of Daniela and Anna, Kerber still could improve next year (her serve has tons of room for improvement) so we're yet to actually see what peak Kerber is.

Miss Amor
None of them are impressive at their peak. Peak kerber> peak jokes > peak antoxfa

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using VerticalSports.Com App

Tezuka.
In terms of natural tennis talent, Anna is ahead of these 2 imo. Angie is the most gifted athlete for sure.

charmedRic
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Isn't the same thing happened this year where Azarenka, Sharapova and Serena basically hogged up all the points this year? :lol:

:lol:

Chaosm21
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Peak Kerber(okay, Wozniacki is not a real top player)

f7nPURgLQXg

charmedRic
Nov 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
In peak form, when the brain doesn't get in the way, Daniela would bury Anna or Angie. However, when it comes to Daniela, the brain always gets in the way eventually, so then my vote would be on Angie. Chak shows sparks of brilliance but there isn't enough there for her to get my vote.

Stonerpova
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM
A better question: can we please make Anotoxfa a thing again?

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM

I dont believe so... no.

Hantuchova had a point boost from winning IW that year which helped her situation out even further. In addition in 02 Hantuchova did not get to a slam SF (it would take until the 08 AO and I think alot of us can agree that slam was a fluke)

In comparison Kerber got to a SF this year in addition to getting to a SF last year (which seemed to be a fluke at the time... until she repeated it again at W this year).

As Woz has shown, a player can get a high rank from winning or getting deep in the minor tournies while being lackluster in the slams.

Kerber did well in both non slams and slams this year.... which makes her 5 rank much less questionable.

Sammo
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM
In terms of natural tennis talent, Anna is ahead of these 2 imo. Angie is the most gifted athlete for sure.

She's a freaking whale. Hantuchova on the other hand never gets tired, she's by far the fittest of the 3

0UcRaOmVq1I

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM
She's a freaking whale. Hantuchova on the other hand never gets tired, she's by far the fittest of the 3

0UcRaOmVq1I

Kerber is probably the best mover out of her crop.... she is certaintly one of the best movers currently on tour.

She also hits a mean ball.... her back of the court game is arguably the strongest of the three.

Kerber's weakness is her abysmal second serve.

As long as she learns to beef that shot up... she should be around in the top 10 for quite some time (barring injury or something similar).

That she has done as much as she has with such an attackable serve proves how good the rest of her game must be.

dsanders06
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Can't believe I've gone from her #1 Hater to one of her biggest defenders in a few months, but Kerber wins this easily. I think we haven't quite seen Peak Kerber yet anyway, but even so, 2012 Kerber wins this battle for sure.

"Peak Hantuchova" being an elite ballbasher really is such a lazy misconception. Her tennis was very aesthetically-pleasing when she was at her best, but it was NEVER EVER overwhelmingly explosively powerful. She's underachieved in the sense that her lows are lower than they should be, but her peak level was always a solid low top 10 level.

"Peak" Chakvetadze is dead last of this triage.

Nicolás89
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM
:facepalm: At Hantuchova winning this comfortably.

Brad[le]y.
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Peak Kerber(okay, Wozniacki is not a real top player)

f7nPURgLQXg

Even AMG beat Wozniacki on clay this year :lol:

Anyways Chak was my favorite to watch but Kerber is the right answer.

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Can't believe I've gone from her #1 Hater to one of her biggest defenders in a few months, but Kerber wins this easily. I think we haven't quite seen Peak Kerber yet anyway, but even so, 2012 Kerber wins this battle for sure.

"Peak Hantuchova" being an elite ballbasher really is such a lazy misconception. Her tennis was very aesthetically-pleasing when she was at her best, but it was NEVER EVER overwhelmingly explosively powerful. She's underachieved in the sense that her lows are lower than they should be, but her peak level was always a solid low top 10 level.

"Peak" Chakvetadze is dead last of this triage.

I felt the same way.

For me it was because her serve was so bad (atleast the 2nd serve). I thought to myself, how in the world is this girl doing so good with a leftie Hingis speed serve?

But 2012 showed me how good she can be. The rest of her game is very nice to watch and very competent.

Roookie
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Dani. No even Hantuchova would have got straight setted @ two slams in a row by Sara Errani.

Joana
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Dani. No even Hantuchova would have got straight setted @ two slams in a row by Sara Errani.

That's because she didn't even get far enough to play against her.

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:55 PM
That's because she didn't even get far enough to play against her.

:spit:

Well said ;)

cowsonice
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Kind of hard to compare because while we've most likely seen the peaks of Daniela and Anna, Kerber still could improve next year (her serve has tons of room for improvement) so we're yet to actually see what peak Kerber is.

Seeing that Kerber is a natural righty, I don't think there is that much room for improvement. Nadal's serve isn't the strongest because of this, too.

dsanders06
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I felt the same way.

For me it was because her serve was so bad (atleast the 2nd serve). I thought to myself, how in the world is this girl doing so good with a leftie Hingis speed serve?

But 2012 showed me how good she can be. The rest of her game is very nice to watch and very competent.

My former insistence that Kerber would be a flash-in-the-pan was just because I found it so hard to believe that someone who'd been such a "local" for so long could play so well :lol: God only KNOWS what she was doing in all those years before the US Open 2011. It's not even like she occasionally produced big upsets once in a while out of nowhere like Li and Stosur did before their late-career breakthroughs.

Imo I do think she has some upside left. I don't realistically see her as a Slam champion like some of her more overzealous German stans would have us believe coughpatrickcough ;) , but I do think she potentially has a Slam final or two and even greater consistency potentially ahead of her if she improves some things over the offseason.

Nicolás89
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Seeing that Kerber is a natural righty, I don't think there is that much room for improvement. Nadal's serve isn't the strongest because of this, too.

Nadal improved his service a lot.

Jeffery
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Kerber.

JarkaFish
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joke thread? Kerber easily.

I also very much doubt we've seen peak Kerber yet.

Yoncé
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Angie easily. Chak would be second though

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Petkovic
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:41 AM
:facepalm: At Hantuchova winning this comfortably.

:worship: I think Peak Kerber would beat peak Hantuchova quite easily.

StoneRose
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Angie in 2 against both.

Geisha
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Chaky overachieved... point blank. Like Hantuchova she honestly shouldnt have gotten higher than maybe 7 or 8 in the world.

:help:

Melbourne: l. R32 #3 V.Williams 6-3 0-6 4-6
Paris: l. R16 #6 Seles 4-6 5-7
Wimbledon: QF #2 S.Williams 3-6 2-6
New York: QF #1 S.Williams 2-6 2-6

Hantuchova also won Indian Wells. SF in Montreal, New Haven, and Linz.

She had a 6-10 record vs. the top ten.

Sammo
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Peak Kerber would lose to Peak Hantuchova 6-2 6-3

JarkaFish
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Peak Kerber would lose to Peak Hantuchova 6-2 6-3

Jokes.

crazillo
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hantuchova is always so overrated in polls here.

Albireo
Nov 28th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Jokes.

The best joke is that there are people arguing over this mental masturbation exercise.

Natural Joe
Nov 28th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Nearly every player whose peak dates back a couple of years is. :tape:

Kon.
Nov 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Kerber.
Hantuchova leading this. :spit:

RobinT83
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Sammug is a joke of a poster, such a tard.
Kerber should win this poll easily, that's not the case but not surprising seeing as tennis knowledge is generally low on this forum.

Richie's
Nov 28th, 2012, 11:53 PM
On their peaks: Daniela>Angelique>Anna
On their carrer so far: Daniela>Anna>Angelique
On their quality of tennis: Daniela>Angelique>Anna
On the present, future: Angelique>>>>>>>>>Daniela>>Anna

FoxyliciousKhat
Nov 29th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Say it again!!!!

Dani is as overrated as her looks.

Kerber wins hands down.

Not sure why Anna is even in this discussion, but I guess someone is needed to come in dead last.

Foxy

Temperenka
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hantuchova is so overrated. It's clearly Kerber.

This. She has such B-level talent in my opinion.

I voted for Chak.

Kerbicz
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Daniela won Indian Wells twice. Neither Anna nor Angie has got a comparable title in her collection.

Trey
Nov 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Angie easily. Chak would be second though

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

This

Jane Lane
Nov 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Daniela won Indian Wells twice. Neither Anna nor Angie has got a comparable title in her collection.

Moscow when it mattered.

MOSCOW SEE ALL MOSCOW RESULTS FOR CHAKVETADZE
TOUR, RUSSIA, OCTOBER 9 2006, $1,340,000, CARPET (I)
DRAW: 32M/32Q/16D, RANK: 24 SEED/ENTRY: /

RND OPPONENT RANK W/L SCORE

R32 H2H (7) SAFINA, DINARA (RUS) 10 W 6-1 6-2
R16 H2H SCHIAVONE, FRANCESCA (ITA) 12 W 7-6(3) 6-4
Q H2H (2) SHARAPOVA, MARIA (RUS) 3 W W/O
S H2H (4) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA (RUS) 7 W 7-5 3-6 6-0
F H2H (5) PETROVA, NADIA (RUS) 5 W 6-4 6-4

dsanders06
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Moscow when it mattered.

MOSCOW SEE ALL MOSCOW RESULTS FOR CHAKVETADZE
TOUR, RUSSIA, OCTOBER 9 2006, $1,340,000, CARPET (I)
DRAW: 32M/32Q/16D, RANK: 24 SEED/ENTRY: /

RND OPPONENT RANK W/L SCORE

R32 H2H (7) SAFINA, DINARA (RUS) 10 W 6-1 6-2
R16 H2H SCHIAVONE, FRANCESCA (ITA) 12 W 7-6(3) 6-4
Q H2H (2) SHARAPOVA, MARIA (RUS) 3 W W/O
S H2H (4) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA (RUS) 7 W 7-5 3-6 6-0
F H2H (5) PETROVA, NADIA (RUS) 5 W 6-4 6-4

Moscow was always a sham Tier 1 :lol:

Slam SFs > Tier 1 titles, and Kerber has 2 Slam SFs to one apiece for the other two, so.... :shrug:

Sammo
Nov 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Moscow was always a sham Tier 1 :lol:

Slam SFs > Tier 1 titles, and Kerber has 2 Slam SFs to one apiece for the other two, so.... :shrug:

And Hantuchova has made many more Slam QFs than Kerber

King Halep
Nov 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Anna has YEC semi :angel:

Navratil
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
No doubt about it: Hantuchova!

Lucyxx
Nov 29th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Going with AnnaC because her head wins matches. Moving the ball around the court with precision. That's my preferred tennis, anyway.

Daniela had powerful strokes, but seems to have lost that now - the consistency of hitting with power from the baseline.

Angelique has power plus a 'touch' to her game (droppers, slices). Works very hard.

They're all very effective peak players, but I'd rather have/watch Anna as a top player.

Unfortunate as it often is in tennis these days, the power player most often wins matches.

Joana
Nov 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM
And Hantuchova has made many more Slam QFs than Kerber

One Slam QF more, exactly. :lol: Despite being 5 years older, too.

Kerber: two SFs, one QF
Hantuchova: one SF, three QF

Viktymise
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Even though I think Kerber's level this year is better than almost anything that the other two have ever produced, I would still say that Chakvetadze is the most talented tennis player of all three though; You can't teach the kind of instincts for the game that she had.

The Dawntreader
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Even though I think Kerber's level this year is better than almost anything that the other two have ever produced, I would still say that Chakvetadze is the most talented tennis player of all three though; You can't teach the kind of instincts for the game that she had.

This.

Despite all the 'RADWANSKA IS LIKE HINGIS!!!111', Chaky in her prime was the only player of recent years who resembled Hingis's level of footwork, early-racquet-prepration, sense of placement and court-sense etc.

Hantuchova is so overrated on this forum. Proof that TF will forgive a multitude of sins when someone hits a pretty, clean ball.

Joe.
Nov 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
There is no doubt that Chakvetadze is the most talented.

But Kerber has had the best results and I see her ending her career with the most impressive results/achievements.

Mr.Sharapova
Nov 30th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Kerber for me.

MakarovaFan
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Again other thread were favoritism/results get confused with actual PEAK play.

Anna C's peak level was a mix of Hingis/Radwanska but with bigger ground strokes. It's a real shame the trauma and then injuries hit so soon after her peak, because results/achievments wise she far trails both girls and therefore the more dense TF users will vote against her. Anna was never gonna be a world no.1 or GS winner, but considering the point of THIS thread she was by far the best.

MakarovaFan
Nov 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Kerber is probably the best mover out of her crop.... she is certaintly one of the best movers currently on tour.

She also hits a mean ball.... her back of the court game is arguably the strongest of the three.

Kerber's weakness is her abysmal second serve.

As long as she learns to beef that shot up... she should be around in the top 10 for quite some time (barring injury or something similar).

That she has done as much as she has with such an attackable serve proves how good the rest of her game must be.

It's only strong when she is playing power players....Kerber struggles mightly against 'competent' players that lack pace(Errani,Aga) and can be easily destroyed by power players that don't get lulled by her off brand game. Mind you, Kerber def has skills and rightfully deserves her top 5 rank BUT peak versus peak versus peak i feel her game isn't the strongest of the 3.

Chakvetadze would dismantle Hantuchova through her poor movement and Anna's great precision and countering skills; Chakvetadze would out steady Kerber being that Kerber struggles with other off brand players who lack big power. And Kerber would beat Daniela by feeding off her low flat drives and moving her around the court and tracking down all her balls which would lead to Daniela pressing.
Anna-Kerber-Daniela

Madoka
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM
hantuchova by far, kerber the worse, by far.

sammy01
Dec 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
I miss anna, you can all go back to pretending hantuchova would have won slams now 'if she weren't a mental midget'!!!!11!!!111!!!!1!!one!!!1

Smitten
Dec 2nd, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hantuchova is such a joke. When was her time to win slams? 2002, yeah she ain't beating the Williams or Kim. 2003, yeah no again.
2004, yeah no. 2005, yeah no. 2006, yeah no. 2007, yeah no. 2008, nope. 2009 nope.

Clean strokes, mid-level power, excellent placement/precision, but she can be weathered.

Horrible movement, can't defend against the multitude of players that hit harder than her (almost all of them have excellent H2Hs with her, Serena, Venus, Kvitova, Davenport, Sharapova, etc.)

Serve is just mediocre. Doesn't DF a lot but doesn't hit aces either. Decent placement, but nothing to be worried about. Second serve predictable and attackable.

Overrated. Even her peak tennis isn't that impressive.

King Halep
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
sammy01 :)

tenisamulo
Dec 2nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
Again other thread were favoritism/results get confused with actual PEAK play.

Anna C's peak level was a mix of Hingis/Radwanska but with bigger ground strokes. It's a real shame the trauma and then injuries hit so soon after her peak, because results/achievments wise she far trails both girls and therefore the more dense TF users will vote against her. Anna was never gonna be a world no.1 or GS winner, but considering the point of THIS thread she was by far the best.

Yeah, alright, but it seems strange to even include Kerber in the list as we have no idea what her peak is, or if it's been achieved. She will likely remain in the top 10 longer than the other two. But who knows at this point. For the most part this has been a thread of "what ifs" vs. "maybe".

Julian.
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Chakvetadze at her peak year :worship: Her angles and change of directions are superb :bowdown:

CheKsyAc0d4

Otlichno
Dec 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hantuchova is such a joke. When was her time to win slams? 2002, yeah she ain't beating the Williams or Kim. 2003, yeah no again.
2004, yeah no. 2005, yeah no. 2006, yeah no. 2007, yeah no. 2008, nope. 2009 nope.

Clean strokes, mid-level power, excellent placement/precision, but she can be weathered.

Horrible movement, can't defend against the multitude of players that hit harder than her (almost all of them have excellent H2Hs with her, Serena, Venus, Kvitova, Davenport, Sharapova, etc.)

Serve is just mediocre. Doesn't DF a lot but doesn't hit aces either. Decent placement, but nothing to be worried about. Second serve predictable and attackable.

Overrated. Even her peak tennis isn't that impressive.

And? :weirdo: People voting for Hantuchova aren't talking about how "great" she is, just that she's better than Chakvetadze and Kerber. :shrug:

Steffibestever
Dec 7th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Chakvatedze in her best year ever (2007) was probably the 8th best player in the World behind Henin, Serena, Sharapova, Venus, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, and Jankovic, regardless of her ranking of #6 above Serena and Venus she was obviously not better than at the time in reality.

Hantuchova in her best year ever (2002) was somewhere from the 8th best player in the World behind Serena, Venus, Davenport, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Capriati, Clijsters. Some might disagree but I think by years end she had surpassed both Hingis and Seles in present ability, and was also ahead of Dokic and Rubin, even though Rubin had probably her career year that year. I believe her year end rank like Chakvetadze was higher than that, but WTA rankings are often meaningless anyway.

Kerber right now I would say is the 9th best player in World behind Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, Radwanska, Stosur, Errani, Na, and Kvitova. Again not as good as her actual rank suggests.

So at their best all held roughly the same position in the game. Hantuchova held this position at a much tougher time for the womens game though. The 2002 field > the 2007 field > the 2012 field, and with all holding basically the same position in the game by extension peak Hantuchova > peak Chakvatedze > peak Kerber.