PDA

View Full Version : Favourite #2 of all times is PETRA KVITOVA of Czech republic!

Ana'sProcess
Nov 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM
By far, 9 girls in tennis modern era were ranked #2, but never achieved spot #1. You decided: Favourite #2 of all times is PETRA KVITOVA of Czech republic. Congratulations Petra! :)

Setsuna.
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sveta.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
The last 4 of them.:lol:

Spartan
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Sveta, definitely. Would love to see her back up there next year!

Ana'sProcess
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
By far, 9 girls in tennis modern era were ranked #2, but never achieved spot #1. Four of them are still in the game, but do they have what it takes to be #1? Why #2 girls who already retired from tennis never were on the top? Who do you think had, or still has, most potential to be #1?

Jeffery
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Definitely Petra.

Kitten63
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Petra,Sveta and Vera.

miffedmax
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:57 PM
My fav peaked at #3.

hablo
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Nastya :hysteric:

Barktra
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Petra

GOATdin0931
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Radwanska at the moment, but obviously shell become #1 so maybe Kvitova? :shrug:

Ana'sProcess
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Radwanska at the moment, but obviously shell become #1 so maybe Kvitova? :shrug:

You sure? I think her momentum was in 2012, not sure if she can have it so close again. My bets are going in Kvitova's favour. Normally, it is just my opinion. ;)

Chrissie-fan
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:57 PM
You sure? I think her momentum was in 2012, not sure if she can have it so close again. My bets are going in Kvitova's favour. Normally, it is just my opinion. ;)
Radwanska is my favorite player of this group, but I think that Kvitova has a better chance to get to number one at some point. But I think it will be hard for either one of them to get past Azarenka in the rankings because she's more consistent than Petra and more likely to win slams or make slam finals than Aga.

jameshazza
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:59 PM
the last two still have a good chance to get to #1.

I'd probably pick Sveta.

Ana'sProcess
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Radwanska is my favorite player of this group, but I think that Kvitova has a better chance to get to number one at some point. But I think it will be hard for either one of them to get past Azarenka in the rankings because she's more consistent than Petra and more likely to win slams or make slam finals than Aga.

Azarenka's consistency will be on a serious test in first months of the next season. Somehow, I feel she might begin struggling if she doesn't defend her AO title. The next thing, her first couple of matches against Serena and Maria will be so important, if she loses them...who knows, maybe she will not be so powerfull as she was this year.

Aryman3
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Aga, for a moment. Until she starts to win G.Slams

Julian.
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Andrea Jaeger

JCTennisFan
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Out of that list... Kvitova.

But in my opinion there is a player whom trumps (up until this point) all the others and she only got to 3....

(Hint: she won the FO and the AO 5 years apart and rampaged through most of the tour out of nowhere in 05... and if she had not have fumbled the ball at the O6 AO could have gotten to number 1 for the first time ever at 30....)

Stonerpova
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I like pretty much of all of them, but I know Sveta and Vera the most and I like them about equal.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Here's a clue who I picked:
2004 French Open-
Rd.16 def. Kuznetsova
QF def. Venus
SF def. Capriati
F def. Elena Dementieva (how come LenaD never got to #2?)

MYSKINA! (she was my Iva Majoli 2.0)

SilverPersian
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Don't make me pick between Sveta and Bepa :hysteric:

skanky~skanketta
Conchita because she was consistent and always went deep. Kvitova because after her Wimbledon win, she was pretty unstoppable (minus the US hardcourt swing).

skanky~skanketta
If we're talking favourites, then I would have to say Sveta and Conchita.

Yashal
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Voted Novotna, then Petra, Sveta and Virginia. Don't care about the others.

Pops Maellard
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Petra, though it's too early to say she'll never be #1.

Igorche
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Definitely Anastasia Myskina

GOATdin0931
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM

I wasn't really being serious, but I mean she will have a shot in the future me thinks ;)

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM

But in my opinion there is a player whom trumps (up until this point) all the others and she only got to 3....

(Hint: she won the FO and the AO 5 years apart and rampaged through most of the tour out of nowhere in 05... and if she had not have fumbled the ball at the O6 AO could have gotten to number 1 for the first time ever at 30....)

Well...for that matter, Hana Mandlikova was even better than Capriati or any of the girls on this list.

*Jool*
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Conchita was/is/always will be my favorite player so the choice is easy for me :lol:

JCTennisFan
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Well...for that matter, Hana Mandlikova was even better than Capriati or any of the girls on this list.

I mostly agree. Seeing as how Mandilkova was a headcase I cant see her being better than Capriati (whom was one of the greatest fighters ever in the women's game) but thats just in my book.

Certaintly Mandilkova was an exceptional athlete and had enormous natural talent... but Mental fortitude is every bit as important as a great serve, forehand, etc.

Also I would not put Mandilkova above Pierce either personally. Sure she won more slams (won more than Capriati as well IIRC) but if she was not a nut on court she could have won a hell of alot more and could have potentially reshaped women's tennis in the 80s.

A Graf, Evert, Nav, Mand battle for the top would have been very exciting to see.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I mostly agree. Seeing as how Mandilkova was a headcase I cant see her being better than Capriati (whom was one of the greatest fighters ever in the women's game) but thats just in my book.

Certaintly Mandilkova was an exceptional athlete and had enormous natural talent... but Mental fortitude is every bit as important as a great serve, forehand, etc.

Also I would not put Mandilkova above Pierce either personally. Sure she won more slams (won more than Capriati as well IIRC) but if she was not a nut on court she could have won a hell of alot more and could have potentially reshaped women's tennis in the 80s.

A Graf, Evert, Nav, Mand battle for the top would have been very exciting to see.

Okay, Hana's mental fortitude was a liability. I ain't going to deny that. But what other player with Hana's mental fortitude won four Grand Slams and contested 8 finals? Heck, has another player with such a fortitude even come close? With even an average mental fortitude Hana would have become one of the alltime greats. She certainly had at least equal skills to those of her two big rivals of that era, Navratilova and Evert. But of course Martina and Chris were mental giants of the game as well, (taking professionalism to levels never before realised) and Hana was anything but.

And yeah, Jennifer certainly did show amazing mental resilience to resurect her career and actually become an even better player in her late 20s than she was as a teen. In terms of mental fortitude between Hana and Jennifer I am with you on this, Jennifer wins. Jen definately did have a remarkable career and lifetime story as well.

I would still say though, in the 35 years I have followed tennis I have never seen a more beautiful demonstration of atheletism and racket skills that when I have seen Hana Manklikova at the top of her game.

JCTennisFan
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Okay, Hana's mental fortitude was a liability. I ain't going to deny that. But what other player with Hana's mental fortitude won four Grand Slams and contested 8 finals? Heck, has another player with such a fortitude even come close? With even an average mental fortitude Hana would have become one of the alltime greats. She certainly had at least equal skills to those of her two big rivals of that era, Navratilova and Evert. But of course Martina and Chris were mental giants of the game as well, (taking professionalism to levels never before realised) and Hana was anything but.

And yeah, Jennifer certainly did show amazing mental resilience to resurect her career and actually become an even better player in her late 20s than she was as a teen. In terms of mental fortitude between Hana and Jennifer I am with you on this, Jennifer wins. Jen definately did have a remarkable career and lifetime story as well.

I would still say though, in the 35 years I have followed tennis I have never seen a more beautiful demonstration of atheletism and racket skills that when I have seen Hana Manklikova at the top of her game.

well said and completely agree. When it came to skill and natural talent Mandilkova was incredible.

Ana'sProcess
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Always when I see her great results, I cannot explain to myself how is possible that she never reached even #2? I mean, Mandlikova won all GS except W, and was two time Wimbledon finalist. How sad is that she never completed Golden Slam, and she was soooo close to do it. :sad:

Chrissie-fan
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I agree, although I would add Goolagong and Hingis (especially when it comes to the racquet skills part) to complete my own top three.

jdog3008
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
None of the above:help:

Sisyphus
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Aga. Although I think she won't qualify for this sooner or later.

Sammo
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Novotna

miffedmax
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
2004 French Open-
Rd.16 def. Kuznetsova
QF def. Venus
SF def. Capriati

LIES! CALUMNIES! FICTION! DELUSIONS! LIBELS!

Kvitarenka
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Petra :hearts:

jdog3008
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I guess Jana, only for beating Toe-Zit

Mistress of Evil
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Such vile discrimination against 3rd-ranked players. Blasphemy!

Trih
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Voted Petra, but this shouldn't mix retired and still active players imho. Or at least players who still have a chance to get #1.... sorry Vera and Sveta :p

Z1988
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Kvitty

BuTtErFrEnA
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
My fav peaked at #3.

but serena's been #1 :oh:

dybbuk
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm so sad Nastya is even on this list. She was so close to No.1 at the end of 2004. :crying2:

alfonsojose
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry if this is :topic:, but where's Sveta :tears: ?

Ana'sProcess
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sorry if this is :topic:, but where's Sveta :tears: ?

Sveta is on the list, check it again. :)

AdeyC
Nov 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gotta be Ginny Wade

Vartan
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Kuznetsova, Svetlana.

Cindy and Kate
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Conchita and Petra. Conchita was an excellent underrated player, very consistent and only lacking a more developed killer instinct at the crucial times. I don´t know for how many years she got to finals, semis an quarters of every GS she played. Always liked her attitude, discreet and the perfect anti diva. She is also a great commentator in spanish Eurosport, intelligent, funny and spot on in her comments, the total opposite to the often clownish Arantxa (who is nowadays turned into a laughing stock in spanish press).
Petra, I hope she can still be number one. She certainly has everything (but the fitness) to achieve it. I also love what i have seen from her in interviews, somehow I bit like Conchita, shy and not totally confortable in the spotlight.

Craig.
Nov 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Wow, Myskina actually got to #2?

As for the poll, Petra.

JCTennisFan
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Wow, Myskina actually got to #2?

As for the poll, Petra.

:lol:

Myskina is so overrated. She was good for what, a year and a half? By 07 she was retired....

She made Iva look consistent....

dybbuk
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Myskina is so overrated. She was good for what, a year and a half? By 07 she was retired....

Umm.... she almost reached No.1 in 2004, then in 2005 her career derailed by her mother almost dying and then subsequent injuries. She was even back on the rise after dealing with her mother, almost beating Henin at Eastbourne and making the QFs at Wimbledon, before more injuries that eventually ended her career. How is someone who was consistently on the rise from 2003-to late 2004, winning big titles and beating Henin; Davenport; Sharapova; etc before career ending problems "overrated" and "inconsistent"?

I'd refer you to her Leipzig final against Henin in 2003, when she out-thought and out-maneuvered Henin in a high quality three set match.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Ok she might not of had longevity on her side, but it's not like she fell out of the top 20 and couldn't win anymore- she retired so I'm not sure about your comment about her being inconsistent. Her mom was ill and she got hurt slipped out of the top 10 but that was the worse of it.

With the exception of Serena Williams, Myskina has wins over every significant player she's ever played, furthermore she has a respectable winning record over the following players:

*Elena Dementieva 9–6
*Chanda Rubin 5–2
*Dinara Safina 4–1
*Magdalena Maleeva 4–1
*Svetlana Kuznetsova 4–2
*Mary Pierce 4–2
*Jelena Janković 3–0
*Francesca Schiavone 3–0
*Iva Majoli 3–0
*Conchita Martínez 3–1
*Vera Zvonareva 3–1
*Maria Sharapova 3–2
*Nadia Petrova 3–2
*Daniela Hantuchová 2–0
*Victoria Azarenka 2–1
*Ana Ivanović 1–0
*Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 1–0
*Anna Kournikova 1–0
*Marion Bartoli 1–0
*Flavia Pennetta 1–0

Respectable records against:
Venus Williams 2–3
Kim Clijsters 3-7
Jennifer Capriati 2–5
Martina Hingis 1-2

And unlike so many others, she actually had to beat great players to win her one and only slam:
2004 French Open-
Rd.16 def. Kuznetsova
QF def. Venus
SF def. Capriati
F def. Elena Dementieva

IMO she is underrated!

Craig.
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM

I actually think she's underrated, I just thought her highest ranking was #3, #4 max.

JCTennisFan
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Myskina wasnt a horrible player... I just think she was a blip on the radar.

The 4 Russians whom broke through in 2004 (Sharapova, Dementieva, Kuzzie, Myskina) all had relatively long consistent careers... except Myskina.

She did not have enough power (IMO) and really had no outright weapons either (except maybe her mind for the season and a half that she was in the top 5).

With that said she also didnt have a huge outright weakness either... which was probably what allowed her success for that limited period of time. Once the other elite players got a feel for her game.... she was done.

Sure she may have had some injuries but I cant help but think that isnt the full story. I remember hearing an article which said that Myskina basically said towards the end of 06 "if I dont get back into the top 10 soon im gonna retire" which just amazed me.

That is not the mentality of a true champion. Many players have been through much worse (look at what Sharapova endured for a good 2+ seasons before she got back on track) and gotten back to the top.

If Myskina was truely mentally strong and great enough she could have overcome her issues in my opinion.

Cajka
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:27 AM

Wasn't she like one match away from #1?

spencercarlos
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:49 AM
2004 French Open-
Rd.16 def. Kuznetsova
QF def. Venus
SF def. Capriati

How come Dementieva was never number 2? Seriously? :lol:

spencercarlos
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Conchita and Petra. Conchita was an excellent underrated player, very consistent and only lacking a more developed killer instinct at the crucial times. I don´t know for how many years she got to finals, semis an quarters of every GS she played. Always liked her attitude, discreet and the perfect anti diva. She is also a great commentator in spanish Eurosport, intelligent, funny and spot on in her comments, the total opposite to the often clownish Arantxa (who is nowadays turned into a laughing stock in spanish press).
Petra, I hope she can still be number one. She certainly has everything (but the fitness) to achieve it. I also love what i have seen from her in interviews, somehow I bit like Conchita, shy and not totally confortable in the spotlight.
Conchita despite not being a diva on court, her court gamemanship was always an asterisk, always moaning and looking dejected at times. Not really the greatest attitute to have.

You can youtube so many of her matches and see what i am talking about.

But what is undenyable was her talent to work the ball around the court. And the barrage of winner she made on her Wimbledon final were outstanding.

Off this list Novotna and Kvitova.

Aryman3
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:57 AM
You forgot little A.Radwanska

Cindy and Kate
Nov 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Conchita despite not being a diva on court, her court gamemanship was always an asterisk, always moaning and looking dejected at times. Not really the greatest attitute to have.

You can youtube so many of her matches and see what i am talking about.

But what is undenyable was her talent to work the ball around the court. And the barrage of winner she made on her Wimbledon final were outstanding.

Off this list Novotna and Kvitova.

It´s true what you say, and that prevented her from releasing her full potential. What I mean is that even when she won Wimbledon she was very low key about it, her attitude off court and with the press was always very modest and respectful, like she didn´t wanted to be noticed. At the time I remember it was something remarked upon by the spanish press, who always considered her more talented than Arantxa but with a worse head on her shoulders.
Sabatini was a wonderful player, but Conchita was a bit younger and in their first meetings Sabatini was at her peak and Conchita was still far from the player she became, but if I´m not wrong I remember it was Conchita who won most of their later matchs ?

JoPova
Nov 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
My favorite would probably be Vera, but the best (and one of my favorites too) is Petra!

Mr.Sharapova
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Sveta definitely :angel:.

Ana'sProcess
Nov 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Petra Kvitova leading, followed by Kuznetsova and Myskina.

Petronius
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM

I totally agree. :angel:

Nothing beats Hana Mandlíková's four slams plus four additional slam finals.

And she also helped Czechoslovakia win three consecutive Fed Cup titles.

Best No. 3 ever.

:worship:

oliverbecken
Nov 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Conchita was/is/always will be my favorite player so the choice is easy for me :lol:

Same here!

Conchita :hearts:

Petronius
Nov 28th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Always when I see her great results, I cannot explain to myself how is possible that she never reached even #2? I mean, Mandlikova won all GS except W, and was two time Wimbledon finalist. How sad is that she never completed Golden Slam, and she was soooo close to do it. :sad:

Maybe this excerpt from Hana's interview for Czech TV will help (for what it's worth):

The only big tournament you haven't won is Wimbledon. Why? In 1981, you were just one match away from the No. 1 ranking. What was the reason, some mental block?

Back then, I had won Australian Open, then Roland Garros and I reached the Wimbledon final in 1981. Basically I should have been No. 1 in the world, everybody knew that, both journalists and players, but WTA officials came to me saying that they had just changed the method of calculating the rankings and, for this reason, I wouldn't become No. 1. I can't do anything about it now, I got used to it, though it hurt at the time.

I don't know if Hana is speaking the truth, but it's kind of interesting. :cool:

miffedmax
Nov 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM
With the exception of Serena Williams, Myskina has wins over every significant player she's ever played, furthermore she has a respectable winning record over the following players:

*Elena Dementieva 9–6

Please, everyone knows her record against Lena was 8-6. You are apparently including the final that NEVER HAPPENED.

Other than that, a fine post. Myskina was the best non-gold medal-winning Russian player ever.

yoke
Nov 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Petra

Ana'sProcess
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Maybe this excerpt from Hana's interview for Czech TV will help (for what it's worth):

The only big tournament you haven't won is Wimbledon. Why? In 1981, you were just one match away from the No. 1 ranking. What was the reason, some mental block?

Back then, I had won Australian Open, then Roland Garros and I reached the Wimbledon final in 1981. Basically I should have been No. 1 in the world, everybody knew that, both journalists and players, but WTA officials came to me saying that they had just changed the method of calculating the rankings and, for this reason, I wouldn't become No. 1. I can't do anything about it now, I got used to it, though it hurt at the time.

I don't know if Hana is speaking the truth, but it's kind of interesting. :cool:

OMG Imagine that situation if it's truth. :(

Beat
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
voted for kuz because i still BELIEVE!™ kvittygoat will make it. one day.

Ana'sProcess
Nov 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
voted for kuz because i still BELIEVE!™ kvittygoat will make it. one day.

;)

KarlyM*
Nov 29th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Sveta :)

Yarden
Nov 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sveta :(

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Vefci Y
Nov 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Anastasia

Ana'sProcess
Jan 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
By far, 9 girls in tennis modern era were ranked #2, but never achieved spot #1. You decided: Favourite #2 of all times is PETRA KVITOVA of Czech republic. Congratulations Petra! :)