PDA

View Full Version : Hingis, Navratilova to Play in Adelaide

Dani12
Nov 25th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Former world No.1s Martina Navratilova and Martina Hingis will become the first women to feature at Adelaide’s World Tennis Challenge exhibition event in January.

The WTC has previously had an all men’s draw with four players on the ATP circuit teaming up with four legends of the game, playing in teams in a combination of singles and doubles matches across two courts.

Announcing the participation of retired greats Navratilova and Hingis, WTC co-tournament director Mark Woodforde said it was time for the format to change.

“Showcasing the greatest tennis legends at Memorial Drive has always been an aim of the World Tennis Challenge and with the event’s popularity growing, it was the perfect time to introduce female legends as we celebrate our fifth year in 2013,” Woodforde said.

Navratilova, a 18-time grand slam winner, was honoured to be among the tournament’s first female participants.

“It’s such a unique concept – I’m really looking forward to it,” said Navratilova.

The introduction of women means the format will change to ensure spectators have a chance to watch Navratilova and Hingis play on court each night.

Source: Tennis Australia - http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/11/25/navratilova-hingis-to-play-in-adelaide

Can't wait :bounce:

Petronius
Nov 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
:dance:

ShiftyFella
Nov 25th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Can't wait:bounce:

Martina would be around in Australia when Petra be there too:tape::lol:

Drake1980
Nov 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Can't they play a main tour event instead? :sobbing:

Helen Lawson
Nov 25th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Crying out for a peak thread.

Petronius
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Just noticed that Livescorehunter has their match scheduled tomorrow at 10:30 CET.

Martina vs. Martina :boxing:

ShiftyFella
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I hope somebody will post full exho on youtube:sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Can't they play a main tour event instead? :sobbing:

Maybe AO Legends & Adelaide are warm ups for later this season :angel:;)

oh yeah i guess
Jan 9th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm going to be there. :oh: Looking forward to it.

petkoan
Jan 9th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I'm going to be there. :oh: Looking forward to it.

I envy you. Have fun :worship:

Helen Lawson
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Give us all the details!!

oh yeah i guess
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:09 AM
There might actually be a stream somewhere, it is a televised event on a non FTA channel here I believe.

ronmi
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Why won't Hingis just come back already? She's still "only" 32 (not that old for today's standards), and hasn't played for 5 years, so age would be even less of a factor. She could easily be top 10 in today's game.

Raiden
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Martina would be around in Australia when Petra be there too:tape::lol: :lol:

V-MAC
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Eurosport showed their mixed doubles match live today so I expect they will show the singles too

Talula
Jan 9th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Navratilova and Cash won their mixed doubles against Hingis and Willanders. Tie break! It was such an entertaining match and a really good crowd. It reminded me of when the Tour really was fun. The crowd appeared bigger for this than many main tournaments and it was great to hear the live commentary and discussions from the players.

I really do believe that there are some lessons the ATP and WTA could learn about breathing some life back into the tours - a good dose of 'fun' and variety would do neither any harm.

Sombrerero loco
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:29 AM
legend :hearts: please play more exhos, earn more money :drool:

Petronius
Jan 9th, 2013, 09:57 AM
http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/128917904317690.html

Great match so far.

petkoan
Jan 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
What a great event! They move so well and Hingis looks trim

Petronius
Jan 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM
What a great event! They move so well and Hingis looks trim

Loved it. Great crowd. Navratilova's fantastic volleys and Hingis' touch and feel for the ball.

irinska
Jan 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Great match, both haven't lost anything skillwise.Hingis looks fantastic and the crowd was great too!

oh yeah i guess
Jan 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I loved it. The crowd response to both Hingis and Navratilova was absolutely massive. They both got a bit of a standing ovation at the end (yes, I stood up too :)), it was great to see, hope they come back next year.

Henri Leconte's whistling to Hingis. :sobbing: Then yelling out 'Go Martina!' resulting in both yelling 'WHICH ONE?' back. :hysteric: Not to mention the time where he took the bowl of food from a crowd member and brought it all the way to Navratilova. :lol:

Overall, it was wonderful.

Utautai
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Only saw the last few games but it was really nice to still see some amazing volleying skills from both players. :worship:

Navratil
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Why is Eurosport leaving Adelaide right before that match?? :O

irinska
Jan 9th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Why is Eurosport leaving Adelaide right before that match?? :O

It was live on Eurosport2.

markhingis
Jan 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
where could I watch it or download?

barmaid
Jan 10th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Navratilova and Cash won their mixed doubles against Hingis and Willanders. Tie break! It was such an entertaining match and a really good crowd. It reminded me of when the Tour really was fun. The crowd appeared bigger for this than many main tournaments and it was great to hear the live commentary and discussions from the players.

I really do believe that there are some lessons the ATP and WTA could learn about breathing some life back into the tours - a good dose of 'fun' and variety would do neither any harm.

Not that it matters, they are just there having fun but it was Hingis and Wilander that won the tie-breaker not the other way around. Hingis also won the singles match the next day against Navra (but that is to be expected) Hingis is about 20 years younger!

Barmaid:wavey:

Petronius
Jan 10th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Hingis is about 20 years younger!

Almost 25 actually. BTW, if they had met at their peaks, Martina the older would have probably beaten her namesake in straight sets, especially on grass. And I love both :lol:

Wimbledon9
Jan 10th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Cash and Navratilova really won the mixed doubles. Go look at youtube and see the last ball of Hingis that was out. Not that it matters as barmaid said but he wants to give all the matches to Hingis who is 24 years younger then Navratilova.

Strange that she is retired for such a long time.

Utautai
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hingis/Bahrami just won Navratilova/Leconte 6-4 :cheer: Fun stuff!
Mansour Bahrami is a talented sexy beast. :lol:
Hingis running back to baseline chasing a lob and hitting a tweener :lol:

Utautai
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hingis/Navratilova v Pernfors/Leconte on now. :cheer:

Lord Sneeze
Jan 10th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Ill try to upload the Match at some stage. I have it on my DVD recorder. So entertaining

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Is Hingis still married? :oh:

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

barmaid
Jan 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Very much so, they just posted a pic of the couple in AO he usually travels with her. :hearts::kiss: Speaking of ages, I think Hingis is four or five years older than hubby!

Pat Bateman
Jan 11th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I saw the matches live. The crowds were huge and really into the tennis. Both Martinas got huge ovations.

Hingis seemed to be striking the ball well. Martina N not so much - seemed bothered by the lights and the noise.

Hingis was with her swishy husband. I was amazed at the size of her engagement ring - it is one massive diamond. Did she buy it herself?

Kəv.
Jan 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
What Hingis is in Adelaide?? I swear i saw her today at Melb Park

Sent from my GT-I9070 using VerticalSports.Com App

oh yeah i guess
Jan 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
She was. The last day of the event was last night.