PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cronin: 2013 - good for some, bad for others

NashaMasha
Nov 22nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
"The following looks at the 2012 year-end top 10 players on both tours and discusses what would make positive or negative seasons for them in 2013.

Victoria Azarenka:
Good year: Wins two Grand Slams while managing to beat Serena Williams the majority of the times they play. In 2012, she was clearly the world’s best fast court player until Williams revival at Wimbledon. Azarenka had the most impressive year of any player of her generation in 2012, but if the world No. 1 wants to lead past the veteran elite for good she is going to have to continue to improve and consistently find ways to beat the likes of legends Serena and Maria Sharapova. The 23 year old is almost there with the Russian, but isn’t even close with Serena, whom she lost to five times in 2012.

Bad Year: No Slam titles, she can’t find her way past Serena and other standout veterans like Sharapova and Li Na. She also loses critical matches to members of her generation like Caroline Wozniacki and Petra Kvitova.

Maria Sharapova:
Good year: Another Slam title (anywhere) and she consistently goes deep at the other tournaments while not suffering any blow out defeats like she did on occasion in 2012 to Serena and Azarenka. Her first win over Serena since 2004 would do wonders for her confidence, as would her first full year of solid, big serving since 2007.

Bad Year: Fails to win another major, gets roughed up by Serena and Azarenka and begins to lose ground to the younger set of Kvitova, Radwanska and Wozniacki.

Serena Williams:
Goodyear: She wins another two majors to up her total to 17, just one shy of Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova and there by puts herself in the discussion of the top two players ever (in my mind, Steffi Graf is currently the best ever,followed by Navratilova and Evert). She wins Roland Garros, the only Slam she has won a single time (in 2002) and the tournament that troubles her the most.

Bad Year: Fails to win a Slam, becomes injured for the umpteenth time and misses a chunk of the season. She suffers another early, inexplicable loss on red clay at Roland Garros, which essentially ends the 31-year-old chances of ever raising the French trophy again.

Agnieszka Radwanska:
Good year: Wins her first Grand Slam title and turns around her rivalries with Williams, Sharapova and Azarenka. Manages to sneak past those three and grab for the No. 1 ranking for a brief time.

Bad Year: Consistently comes up short against the top 3 and fails to reach another Slam final. Shell shocked when her younger sister, Urszula, passes her in the rankings.

Petra Kvitova:
Good year: Wins her second Slam title, and manages to play and compete well for the whole season because she is no longer getting sick every other month. Shows both Azarenka and Radwanska just who the best player of their generation is and finally reaches No. 1.

Bad Year: Fails to reach a Slam final, cannot figure out what is causing her immune system to constantly break down and tires too quickly to be able to achieve her massive potential.

The best of the Rest

Good year: No. 5 Angelique Kerber improves by five percent and plays gutsier ball at the majors, which brings the German to her first final and maybe her first Slam title…Sarah Errani adds a little more oomph to her strokes and whizzes past the field to win Roland Garros… Li Na flourished under new coach Carlos Rodriguez and wins her second (and final Slam)… Sam Stosur finally has a terrific Australian summer and makes a deep run into the second week at Melbourne…Caroline Wozniacki continues to improve her serve and forehand,re-enters the top five and steals the US Open title.

Bad Year: Kerber repeats her 2012 Slam performances and can’t come up with the goods against the other elites at crunch time…Errani comes back to earth and is a non-factor on every surface except for clay… The enigmatic Li begins to ignore Rodriguez, eventually fires him and loses interest on the sport… Stosur has another atrocious Australian summer when she replicates 2012 winning only one match down under … Wozniacki continues to be stubborn, ignores the counsel of outside coaches and retains the bad habit of pushing the balls at the majors.
http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=11759

I guess any of TF members has own thoughts about what will be a good/bad season for top 10 players in 2013

GOATdin0931
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:35 AM
Caroline Wozniacki continues to improve her serve and forehand,re-enters the top five and steals the US Open title

I would love that! :hearts:

thegreendestiny
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:38 AM
Matt Cronin never learns :facepalm:

Radwanska winning a slam :haha:

Brad[le]y.
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:41 AM
Matt Cronin never learns :facepalm:

Radwanska winning a slam :haha:

these aren't predictions; he's just setting the standards for what would be a good or bad year for these players.

Jane Lane
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM
LMAO at Cronin thinking Ula passing Aga in the rankings is ANYWHERE within the realm of possibility to even bring it up.

NashaMasha
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:52 AM
if all players have good season next year we will need 11 Slams to distribute between top 10 , Matt has no faith only in Sam Stosur whose maximum achievement is supposed to be "make a deep run into the second week at Melbourne"

thegreendestiny
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:00 AM
y.;22505563']these aren't predictions; he's just setting the standards for what would be a good or bad year for these players.

A good great year for Peak Aga is winning Miami and that's it. :shrug:

NashaMasha
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:03 AM
Wozniacki continues to be stubborn, ignores the counsel of outside coaches and retains the bad habit of pushing the balls at the majors.

Matt called Woz "a pusher" (only at majors though):)

brickhousesupporter
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
"The following looks at the 2012 year-end top 10 players on both tours and discusses what would make positive or negative seasons for them in 2013.

Victoria Azarenka:
Good year: Wins two Grand Slams while managing to beat Serena Williams the majority of the times they play. In 2012, she was clearly the world’s best fast court player until Williams revival at Wimbledon. Azarenka had the most impressive year of any player of her generation in 2012, but if the world No. 1 wants to lead past the veteran elite for good she is going to have to continue to improve and consistently find ways to beat the likes of legends Serena and Maria Sharapova. The 23 year old is almost there with the Russian, but isn’t even close with Serena, whom she lost to five times in 2012.

When did this happen. Her best results were at the beginning of the year. The Australian courts are medium paced courts.......Indian Wells is slow. How was she the best fast court player.

Brad[le]y.
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
A good great year for Peak Aga is winning Miami and that's it. :shrug:

Well since it's one of the few tournaments Serena bothers to try at, I think winning there again would be great too :)

SilverPersian
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM
I don't think the quality of Sam's year can fairly be determined by what happens in the first month of the season ...

RVD
Nov 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
All I want to know is what is Matt Cronin smok'n.
Cuz if that strain is available in the states, I'm buying a pound. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/smoke/smileys-passing-joint.gifhttp://www.tennisforum.com/Matt%20Cronin

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2012, 06:02 AM
LMAO at Cronin thinking Ula passing Aga in the rankings is ANYWHERE within the realm of possibility to even bring it up.
both fall out of top 30

Mynarco
Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
Ula outperforming Aga? Nawwwwwwww

Chrissie-fan
Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Matt called Woz "a pusher" (on at majors though):)
Well, to me calling Wozniacki a "pusher" sounds like less of an insult than calling, say, Kvitova or Li an "unforced errorer." But, yeah, Matt knows what his public wants to hear. ;)

Natural Joe
Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
LOL at the part with Ula and Aga. Caro winning the USO would be epic though, except that it's not going to happen. :sad:

If Vika's 2013 is similar to this year (1 slam, 1 F, several other titles) I would consider it to be a good year as well. Two slam titles as suggested by Cronin would be brilliant imo.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
if all players have good season next year we will need 11 Slams to distribute between top 10.....
:lol: True that. He sounds a bit like Mats Wilander or even the BBC commentators who always make the wildest predictions about how many slams a player will end up winning after she has just won one.....It's like, "hold on Mats. There are only four of them available each year." :lol: Just like commentators always go overboard about her top 10 potential whenever they see a lower ranked player play a good match, all the while forgetting that there's room for just 10 players in a top 10 - not for the 40 or 50 others for whom they predict top 10 glory throughout the course of a season.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 22nd, 2012, 09:10 AM
y.;22505563']these aren't predictions; he's just setting the standards for what would be a good or bad year for these players.
Well, Aga was one set away from winning one this year. So, even though the odds are against her, her winning one in the future is not entirely impossible. But a year anywhere near as good as her 2012 would be a success for Aga.

Gentleman
Nov 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Who knows what is gonna happen, and that is why 2013 is very intriguing season. I can't wait the start. Wouldn't be surprised if top contenders Vika, Maria and Serena battle between themselves for only two Grand slams - most likely Australian open and Wimbledon, while some of the comeback girls win Roland Garros and US open, with non of the top 3 even reaching final. That is possible and it makes next season great. Serena will push the limits more then ever, Azarenka will try to compete with her and it seems to me that her success in next year depends on her first two meetings with Serena. If she fails to be competitive with her, she will be in a danger to lose selfconfidence and start to fail against other strong top 15 players. Maria will have her chances, can't wait to see her 2013 start. Her last meeting with Serena was promising. Comeback girls Wozniacki who seemed better than ever in her 2012 ending run, Ivanovic who beat Kvitova, set some realistic goals for 2013 and in her last interview seemed so motivated to regain the power, Petrova who is enigma, they could easily go deep in Premiers and Grand slams and win RG or USO, or even both. Kvitova, Kerber are so questionable though, we will see. But good luck to all of them. 2013 will be a great season. :)

adamselby
Nov 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
if all players have good season next year we will need 11 Slams to distribute between top 10 , Matt has no faith only in Sam Stosur whose maximum achievement is supposed to be "make a deep run into the second week at Melbourne"

next season will be a copy of this yeat I bet. . . cant see any new faces coming in yet to changes things up. but with William sisters power seeminly on the waine it might re-shuffle the titles rather than turn out to be "good year" for anyone individual.

Raiden
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Wozniacki continues to be stubborn, ignores the counsel of outside coaches and retains the bad habit of pushing the balls at the majors.
http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=11759
Wow this is acute.

Up to now, in journalistic parlance, there have been a formality distinction of sorts between what Woz does and what pushing formally means (= what happens at club level among amateurs).

But now someone has finally relented: Cronin has come out of the "troll closet" to be the first real life journalist to openly describe a professional tennis player as a pusher.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Wow this is acute.

Up to now, in journalistic parlance, there have been a formality distinction of sorts between what Woz does and what pushing formally means (= what happens at club level among amateurs).

But now someone has finally relented: Cronin has come out of the "troll closet" to be the first real life journalist to openly describe a professional tennis player as a pusher.
Well, during the Australian Open in one of her early round matches I already heard two commentators discuss on Eurosport comments on the internet about Azarenka and whether she is a "pusher" or not. They strongly disagreed, but even just mentionning that nonsense inevitably helps legitimize trash talk among those in a semi-official capacity who should know better. Just before or after the USO (I don't remember exactly which tournament) Sam Smith also mentionned on Eurosport that Radwanska was called a "vulture" on twitter. She disagreed, but she apparently found it hilarious. So yes, slowly but surely.....I wonder how long it will take before players are called whores or cheaters, or who'll be the first to refer to them as Pushniacki, Jankobitch and Nadull.

Natural Joe
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Well, during the Australian Open in one of her early round matches I already heard two commentators discuss on Eurosport comments on the internet about Azarenka and whether she is a "pusher" or not. They strongly disagreed, but even just mentionning that nonsense inevitably helps legitimize trash talk among those in a semi-official capacity who should know better. Just before or after the USO (I don't remember exactly which tournament) Sam Smith also mentionned on Eurosport that Radwanska was called a "vulture" on twitter. She disagreed, but she apparently found it hilarious. So yes, slowly but surely.....I wonder how long it will take before players are called whores or cheaters, or who'll be the first to refer to them as Pushniacki, Jankobitch and Nadull.

Looking forward to the first time they discuss the word "mug" on TV. :lol:

Raiden
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
^ Oh please God, don't let that happen :lol:

young_gunner913
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
All I want to know is what is Matt Cronin smok'n.
Cuz if that strain is available in the states, I'm buying a pound. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/smoke/smileys-passing-joint.gifhttp://www.tennisforum.com/Matt%20Cronin

You don't want any, it's obviously mixed with household cleaner to make it more toxic. :lol:

CWTennis
Nov 22nd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Wow this is acute.

well, there's many journalists/tennis bloggers who use the words like ''pusher'' etc on twitter, it's one thing when TF trolls does it but when a professional journalists starts to do it...that's just sad! :o

http://i49.tinypic.com/2m7azc9.png

Raiden
Nov 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM
I wonder how long it will take before players are called whores or cheaters, or who'll be the first to refer to them as Pushniacki, Jankobitch and Nadull.It has already started

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9j0mpouFR1rzx50lo1_1280.png

RVD
Nov 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
You don't want any, it's obviously mixed with household cleaner to make it more toxic. :lol::lol: :lol:
You're probably right.

TennisPhan
Dec 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't get why Kvitova gets so much attention still. She was just a 1 slam wonder. To me, Na Li and Stosur have better chances to win a second slam, because they're great on all surfaces and both have an extra final in another slam. Kvitova sucked like shit in 2012...

In 2013 I want a rematch between Serena Williams and Karsten Braasch. Sure he's 45 and retired 11 years ago, but he's a man and he was ranked 38 in the ATP, so he should win, no?

JarkaFish
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I don't get why Kvitova gets so much attention still. She was just a 1 slam wonder. To me, Na Li and Stosur have better chances to win a second slam, because they're great on all surfaces and both have an extra final in another slam. Kvitova sucked like shit in 2012...

In 2013 I want a rematch between Serena Williams and Karsten Braasch. Sure he's 45 and retired 11 years ago, but he's a man and he was ranked 38 in the ATP, so he should win, no?

Because she's a 22 year old GS champion that has a game big enough to take on anyone if she's playing really well?

Also Kvitova made the semis of the AO, FO (l. to Sharapova) and quarters of Wimby (l. to Serena). Hardly a shit year.

doomsday
Dec 1st, 2012, 04:09 PM

Stosur great on all surfaces :spit:

TennisPhan
Dec 2nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Because she's a 22 year old GS champion that has a game big enough to take on anyone if she's playing really well?

Also Kvitova made the semis of the AO, FO (l. to Sharapova) and quarters of Wimby (l. to Serena). Hardly a shit year.

ok, good point. don't really follow her.

Gentleman
Dec 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM
2013 will be year of comeback girls: Ivanovic, Kvitova, Wozniacki and Petrova.
2013 will be year of rising comets: Stephens, Robson, Watson and some other probably.
2013 will be year in which Serena will try to win all 4 Grand slams, and I bet she has 80 percent of chances to do that and finalise her career in 2014. :)

traralgon
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Robson had a good year but 2013 will be even better! I'm expecting at least a quaterfinal at the AO!

Gaby Gasparyan
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I don't rate that guy but, to each his/her own

mac47
Dec 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Bad Year for Sharapova: Fails to win another major, gets roughed up by Serena and Azarenka and begins to lose ground to the younger set of Kvitova, Radwanska and Wozniacki.

Please, Lord. If only this might happen!

shoryuken
Sep 12th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Serena Williams:
Goodyear: She wins another two majors to up her total to 17, just one shy of Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova and there by puts herself in the discussion of the top two players ever (in my mind, Steffi Graf is currently the best ever,followed by Navratilova and Evert). She wins Roland Garros, the only Slam she has won a single time (in 2002) and the tournament that troubles her the most.

Cronin was spot on! :eek:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iRGUxT8c4n4/UM4bTrkP8FI/AAAAAAAAATc/iWW-J14dnuA/s371/dance.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cc13efd9e2fa570a6a9257405839c69f/tumblr_mszwt1VDwn1s5lshxo1_r2_500.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/b17d67f88e3f48d5c557b78a86d62e99/tumblr_mszwt1VDwn1s5lshxo2_r2_500.jpg

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 12th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Cronin was spot on! :eek:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iRGUxT8c4n4/UM4bTrkP8FI/AAAAAAAAATc/iWW-J14dnuA/s371/dance.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/cc13efd9e2fa570a6a9257405839c69f/tumblr_mszwt1VDwn1s5lshxo1_r2_500.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/b17d67f88e3f48d5c557b78a86d62e99/tumblr_mszwt1VDwn1s5lshxo2_r2_500.jpg

Yeah, well, credit to him, but you know what they say about a broken clock.

Anyway, he sure the hell was wrong about the final. He thought the only way Serena would win was if it went two sets. But he predicted Vika would win in 3.

Représailles
Sep 12th, 2013, 11:00 PM
The worst line definetely was "the legends Serena and Sharapova". In the same line. Help!

pling
Sep 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Petra Kvitova:
Bad Year: Fails to reach a Slam final, cannot figure out what is causing her immune system to constantly break down and tires too quickly to be able to achieve her massive potential.

oh my god :sobbing:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 12th, 2013, 11:33 PM
The worst line definetely was "the legends Serena and Sharapova". In the same line. Help!

IKR! :lol:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Cronin is a Sharapova stan.

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 13th, 2013, 12:33 AM
IKR! :lol:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Cronin is a Sharapova stan.

Completely and pathetically so.

WonderFan
Sep 13th, 2013, 12:37 AM
2013 will be year of comeback girls: Ivanovic, Kvitova, Wozniacki and Petrova.
2013 will be year of rising comets: Stephens, Robson, Watson and some other probably.
2013 will be year in which Serena will try to win all 4 Grand slams, and I bet she has 80 percent of chances to do that and finalise her career in 2014. :)

:facepalm: Leon, my friend...

mdterp01
Sep 13th, 2013, 03:04 AM

http://images.wikia.com/austinally/images/c/cc/Shut_up!.gif

OMG did he really do that? Sorry but Sharapova will never be worthy of "legendary"