PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana Lucic Became a US Citizen

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:48 PM
She posted the pics on her Facebook page. Not sure whether this means she will play for the US now. Huge congrats either way!

Sammo
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I don't think she'll play for USA :shrug:

mb011
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
good for her :)

Igorche
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM
:confused:

Raiden
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Traitor

GOATdin0931
Nov 21st, 2012, 01:43 AM
...:unsure:

Cecig
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:54 AM
I hate that the players change their nationality

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:49 AM
Miki :yeah:

cowsonice
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:10 AM
:awww::cheer:

Smith Saybrook
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:14 AM
Traitor

Becoming a citizen doesn't necessarily mean she's changing her nationality necessarily.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM

She's been living in the US for almost 15 years now and all of her adult life. She's more American than Croatian at this point. And if she does her change playing nationality to the US, it isn't going to mean anything in the form of wildcards.

Cajka
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:30 AM
She's more American than Croatian at this point.

Wow, unfortunately, you don't get to decide about that, so you could at least wait until she confirms that she'll play for USA.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Wow, unfortunately, you don't get to decide about that, so you could at least wait until she confirms that she'll play for USA.

I just mean that she's spent half her life here and has her entire life in the US now. She hasn't lived in Croatia since she was a teenager. If she wants to play for Croatia still, that's her choice though.

ptkten
Nov 21st, 2012, 05:07 AM
It's funny how up in arms people get about citizenship. I've always felt
that if you're happier somewhere else than in your birth country, why wouldn't you try to switch citizenship? If an American felt more comfortable in, let's say Brazil, I would feel the same way. It doesn't mean they hate where they come from, it's just they found a better fit. Good luck to her.

Infiniti2001
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:14 AM
Good for her!! She's been living in this country as a legal alien most of her adult life and I personally think this is to her benefit... When it comes time to collecting social security legal aliens do not get the full amount.. Besides why live in a country where you pay taxes and don't have the right to vote? When a legal alien gets in trouble with the law--they do their time and are quickly deported.

Vicky88
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Good for her!! She's been living in this country as a legal alien most of her adult life and I personally think this is to her benefit... When it comes time to collecting social security legal aliens do not get the full amount.. Besides why live in a country where you pay taxes and don't have the right to vote? When a legal alien gets in trouble with the law--they do their time and are quickly deported.

Have to correct you on your statement about legal aliens not being able to collect the full amount of social security. We are green card holders and we are entitled to the same amount of social security whether or not we ever do citizenship. It's based on credits paid into the system.

Kathy Rinaldi
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:36 PM
Just saw it in her thread. Welcome aboard :hearts: Confirmed yesterday apparently.

MLF
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm sure if the US want her to play then she will as she wasn't very happy with Iva Majoli's decision in early 2012 to announce she wouldn't be considered for a Croatian Olympics slot due to missing a Fed Cup tie through injury. By the time the Olympics came around her ranking wasn't high enough anways but I'm sure she may have been wildcarded in with her grass court record behind her.

tennismaster8820
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
^^
If I recall right it was very weird injury bc she played right before Fed Cup and week after it as well. :lol:
Anyway I don't think her decision would have anything to do with that.

Congrats to Mirjana! :yeah:
She must feel great about it!

Super Dave
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:54 PM
Nice passport photo!

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu21/jkinman1024/Nobama/AmericaFuckYeah.jpg

Halepsova
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Unless she switches nationality 3 times like Dokic, I'm fine.

Infiniti2001
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Have to correct you on your statement about legal aliens not being able to collect the full amount of social security. We are green card holders and we are entitled to the same amount of social security whether or not we ever do citizenship. It's based on credits paid into the system.

I am not speaking out of my butt---the benefits are less .... It is imperative that a green card holder who becomes a citizen go to report it at the social security office... Please do your own some research.

mic12
Nov 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM
I am not speaking out of my butt---the benefits are less .... It is imperative that a green card holder who becomes a citizen go to report it at the social security office... Please do your own some research.

unfortunately you are speaking out of your butt! The only difference between citizens/non citizens for the purposes of social security benefits is the length of time per year people are allowed to spend out of the country. Maybe your butt could also read some documents for you
PDF here (http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/library/P1077.pdf)

Not that there will be any SS left by the time Mirjana would be of age to receive it. But I think her husband is fairly well off, so I am not worried about them.

chingching
Nov 21st, 2012, 11:21 PM
It's normally very difficulot to have dual citizenship with the US. For example, Rupert Murdoch ad to give up his Australian Citizenship in exchange for his American one :shrug: She may start playing for the US :(

bobbynorwich
Nov 21st, 2012, 11:34 PM
Good for her. I met her this summer and she is a very nice person --- funny, warm and friendly.

cowsonice
Nov 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
Croatia allows dual citizenship though.

mikireturns
Nov 24th, 2012, 01:48 AM

I appreciated your comments very much -- you leveled some strong insight. Thank you.

As for Mirjana, well ... she is a thoughtful soul; I cannot imagine she would take any important decision lightly.

That being said, I do think that anyone who has truly followed her career knows she is Croatian to the proverbial Nth Degree.

Clearly, this was a decision that was made based upon a lot of factors.

Mirjana made almost $200K last year -- and, wow, she earned it -- but we have always had talented people changing citizenship when the time was right, for them.

How many of us need to remember that Martina Navratilova is American ... By a very tortuous choice she made quite a while ago? Martina was up-front about her citizenship, and to my mind, she added a lot of prestige to America. That's a compliment to Martina.

Same goes for Mirjana. I highly doubt her love for Croatia is dimmed, but by officially becoming a citizen, she adds a great deal of the importance of a fantastic country (Croatia) to the public tennis discourse of our country.

Yes, with her ranking and apparent dedication to keep fighting, it could get interesting as far as Fed Cup. I was also bewildered that some sort of string was not pulled for her, Olympics-wise, but that's politics and it must have always been awful for Mirjana ... Her WTA wins were in Bol. Sad, but one has gotten the distinct impression, over the years, that her father and uncle in Makarska are damaging forces, to say the least.

Whatever the case or actuality ... Congratulations to Mirjana of Croatia and America, and Happy Holidays to everyone, frankly.

Stay safe and happy these holidays, everybody!

tennisbum79
Nov 24th, 2012, 02:32 AM
welcome Mirjana! We are happy to have you

tennisbum79
Nov 24th, 2012, 02:37 AM

maybe some players have other aspirations than just being a tennis player... Like any other individual.

simonsaystennis
Nov 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM
You can have dual citizenship and choose which country you represent. I believe Tommy Haas did that a couple years ago. At this point, I doubt Mirjana will change which country she plays for, but you never know.

ajmo!
Nov 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I don't see it happening either.
I think she did it to make her private life in States easier, also it will be a lot easier for her to travel the world(even if she plays for Croatia) because she wont need ''visa'' to enter countries, like she needed it before.
And I really doubt she did it because of Olympics because if she goes on for another 4 years she has less chances to get into Rio playing for the USA than playing for Croatia.

ce
Nov 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Finally. She found her life in USA, while no one helped her in Croatia.

mikireturns
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Finally. She found her life in USA, while no one helped her in Croatia.

That's difficult to assert, without equivocation. Maybe. It always seemed as if the whole situation was complicated on both sides. Croatian tennis federation big-wigs were perhaps understandably ambivalent about her "asylum" situation and how it went down, while Mirjana did not exactly have a lot of trust that officials in Croatian Tennis had her best interests at heart.

The whole affair was a lot to shoulder for a teen girl, long after the initial break. That much pressure (fleeing a homeland, seeking foreign asylum, supporting an entire family) ought never to have been placed on a developing player; it clearly played a part in stunting her career. One suspects there was a lot of miscommunication over the years between the Lucic clan and Croatian tennis powers, and vice versa. Ancient history, now.

The fact is that she identified totally as a Croatian citizen through more than a decade following her request for asylum, even when life was difficult for their family in the USA. It seems highly unlikely that she would change that now. I think ajmo is probably correct. This move is likely logistic, in terms of squaring-away a life that will mostly be lived with her husband in the USA, and also to facilitate travel for a couple more years of tennis. It made a lot of difference for Varvara L, when she finally got her citizenship, but her case was much more difficult.

I would think Lucic will always identify as Croatian, first and foremost, while maintaining the benefits of a duel-citizen status.

traralgon
Dec 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Good luck to her. Probably it's only for practical reasons. I don't think she wants to work as a spy for the Croatian secret service.

Angelpova
Dec 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM
:facepalm:

TrollPova
Dec 25th, 2012, 02:44 PM
It's funny how up in arms people get about citizenship. I've always felt
that if you're happier somewhere else than in your birth country, why wouldn't you try to switch citizenship? If an American felt more comfortable in, let's say Brazil, I would feel the same way. It doesn't mean they hate where they come from, it's just they found a better fit. Good luck to her.

Love everything about this post :)