PDA

View Full Version : 3 of Rena, Fran, Sam, Caro against exception for Aga to play her home WTA in Katowice

TeamUla
Nov 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Interview with Aga's coach Tomasz Wiktorowski about Katowice tournament:

According to the rules the tennis player from top10 can play only one International tournament at the first half of the season. Agnieszka has very early chosen for herself Auckland. Can you still do something about it?

We wanted to try. The chances are not high now. Agnieszka and Lagarder Management applied to WTA for exception and the opportunity for her to play the 2nd International tournament in first half of 2013.

Did WTA agree?

We haven't got the official reply yet. Unofficially we got to know that this issue was transferred to Player Council which said "no".

Do you know who voted?

The result of voting was 1:3. In the council there is Sam Stosur, Serena Williams, Francesca Schiavone and Caroline Wozniacki. We can only suspect who supported us.

Karolina.

This is what you said...
Other tennis stars didn't allow Aga for a start.
We still wait for the official WTA announcement. But it's difficult to think that something can change.

Anyway it would be only the beginning of the way to get Aga to Katowice.

You should remember that the presence of Wozniacki at the tournament, the presence of the 2nd star from top10 would complicate the situation.

The rise of prize money is required.

Yeah and it's difficult to predict that additional money would be found. In Brisbane there will be additional stars and additional prize money which will rise to one million of american dollars.

In Shenzen the prize money has risen to 500k USD.

Yeah, as you can see about which money we teld. You should be prepared for that. Only than you can start the negotiations with potential players. This tournament is an unusual event for Poland. But I remember that it's a long road for Aga's participation in it.

http://tenis.przegladsportowy.pl/Tenis-Tenis-Trener-Tomasz-Wiktorowski-o-kwietniowym-turnieju-w-Katowicach-i-udziale-w-nim-Agnieszki-Radwanskiej,artykul,151922,1,289.html

Jorn
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Sam, SW and Fran... :o

But rules are rules...

moby
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I bet Wozniacka said no. :oh:

Sam was probably the one who DGAFF. Serena just wanted to be a bitch. Fran and Woz probably hoping to countervulture.

NashaMasha
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
The result of voting was 1:3. In the council there is Sam Stosur, Serena Williams, Francesca Schiavone and Caroline Wozniacki. We can only suspect who supported us.

anti-Vulture players council , good job ladies!!!

coolfish1103
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Well don't commit to Auckland if you want to play Katowice.

Jorn
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Aga did it before knowing there will be a Katowice tournament.....

lenas warriors
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Some of my least liked players in that council...

duhcity
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I suppose if Aga wants to play, they'll force Caroline out. So maybe she voted no?

C. Drone
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Sam was probably the one who DGAFF. Serena just wanted to be a bitch. Fran and Woz probably hoping to countervulture.

Of course Karolina said no. Piotr is behind this tournament, he decided they'll move the tournament from Copenhagen to Poland, and he never wanted Radwanska to play anyway.

TeamUla
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
The company which organizes the tournament is the same which produced Wozniacki's "Oxygen" song. :o

coolfish1103
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM

No one forced her to commit that early.

fouc
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM
wow bitches are strict :eek:

Stamp Paid
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Lordrena has spoken. So it was written, so it shall be done.

Halepsova
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'm surprised Serena gives a damn about this. :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Three of the four players in that players council played one more tournament than Radwanska this year.

fouc
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:26 AM

Three of the four players in that players council played one more tournament in the last twelve months than Radwanska.

:lol:

Miracle Worker
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Good job ladies :)

Natural Joe
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM
"Serena, Francesca and Sam against exception for Aga to play her home WTA in Katow" – I thought it was not sure who voted against Aga :scratch: So why are you assuming that Caro is the one that voted for her?

Lachy
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I can't see Serena giving a damn at all about this. She actually voted? :hysteric: I can't.

backhandsmash
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I can't see Serena giving a damn at all about this. She actually voted? :hysteric: I can't.

She probably just flipped a coin. :lol:

homogenius
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM

this

koyak
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
http://www.zengardner.com/wp-content/uploads/shadowconpiracy1.jpg

Djezonfly
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
As long as she doesn't play another MM after Wimbledon, I don't see the problem. And I don't even like Aga.

mauresmofan
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I can't imagine Serena would care

Jimmie48
Nov 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Misleading headline, stating what looks like a fact even though nobody knows who voted for what.

The whole Internationals rule is causing more problems than it fixes, I wish the WTA would just drop this nonsense and let the players play the tournaments they want to play.

But I guess it's needed to save face, otherwise the WTA would look stupid if all the top players would go and play Luxembourg instead of Moscow...

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think Serena is the one who doesn't give a damn playing in MM and voted for yes to Aga.:oh: The others (Sam/Fran/Caro) have reasons to vote against as they're also wanting to win a title, vulturing on these events.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I remember Sveta wanted to play New Zealand and couldnt because another top 10 player had already committed to it.
The WTA should be more flexible about this.
Especially in a case like this where having Aga there would help the tournament be a financial success

Jajaloo
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sam probably said yes and Karolina said no :lol:

But they should clearly say yes. It can only be good for the sport in general to have more higher profile tennis players play smaller events.

danieln1
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Serena said no? :haha:

Who said Karo said yes? :oh:

sweetadri06
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Does Serena actually gives a damn about this? lmao

fouc
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I can't with people being happy because the players prevented "vulturing". The only outcome of Aga playing in Katowice would be a promotion of women's tennis in poland (HORRIBLE!). It would hardly affect her ranking at this point.

deliverance.
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
As long as she doesn't play another MM after Wimbledon, I don't see the problem. And I don't even like Aga.
This. There will not any difference to play 2 MMs in first half of year (none in the second) or play 1 MM per half-year. I think it's nothing bad - every player in top should have this option if want it :shrug: I don't see any vulturing there too.

Wert.
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Why cant She withdraw?

koyak
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Why cant She withdraw?

She signed a contract with Auckland after/before US Open. (If you do not know what's going on, it is about money :devil: )

C. Drone
Nov 20th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Does Serena actually gives a damn about this? lmao

who said she gave a damn? :lol:

robpal
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Why only four players "voted"? The Council has other memebers...

Juju Nostalgique
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
This man is soooo :inlove: :hearts: :drool: Thank you Aga! :hearts: (for bringing him) :hearts:

Halepsova
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think Serena was the one who said yes. She might not even know where Katowice is. :o

Wiggly
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Why only four players "voted"? The Council has other memebers...

There's more than for four players on the Council.
Safarova, Mattek-Sands and maybe two more.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Should be a new rule
that you can play as many MM as you like but you can only count 2.

deboraski
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Obviously Serena cares about, otherwise she wouldn't be in the Council in the first place. It's to resolve issue like this the Council exist anyway.

Jajaloo
Nov 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Should be a new rule

This is a very good idea :worship:

coolfish1103
Nov 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I think Serena was the one who said yes. She might not even know where Katowice is. :o

+1

I don't think Serena cares a bit about Radwanska playing another International Tournament.

Serena doesn't even play enough tournaments herself to care, why would she care about this :lol:

olivero
Nov 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
They won't get money to increase the price money anyway. Close this thread.

guichard
Nov 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Why cant She withdraw?
She can but she will have to return her appearance fee

TeamUla
Nov 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM
They won't get money to increase the price money anyway. Close this thread.

Why would they have to do it? Caroline after Istanbul YEC was 11th so she's not on TOP10 Marquee list.

Adasko
Nov 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Caroline after Istanbul YEC was 11th so she's not on TOP10 Marquee list.

Now I'm confused... in the WTA 2012 Official Rulebook it says (page 11): "The “Top 10 List” shall consist of the 10 highest-ranked singles players as of the WTA Rankings produced immediately following the previous
year’s International Tournament of Champions (“Top 10 Players”). "

International Tournament of Champions is Sofia, not Istanbul, and Caroline was 10th after Sofia, right? So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it would mean the TOP10 rules will apply to her in 2013.

Drake1980
Nov 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
OMG! :eek:

Ferg
Nov 20th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Well they're right.

Roookie
Nov 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Bitches.

Sammo
Nov 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM

+1 :lol:

Anyway, well done gurls :cool:

Leo St
Nov 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
wow, i hate rules!!.. yet i go to law school

Carlsbadwanska
Nov 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Tennis_Association#Players.E2.80.99_Coun cil

Stosur isn`t there...

Roookie
Nov 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Tennis_Association#Players.E2.80.99_Coun cil

Stosur isn`t there...

LOL the 3 grannys. No way Caro voted no.

C. Drone
Nov 20th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Stosur isn`t there...

Thats an old list.
Stosur and Hlavackova replaced Venus and King.

Wiggly
Nov 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM
These players have to obey all the Roadmap rules.
That vote isn't as much of F*** you to Radwanska but more aimed at the WTA.

Spring Pools
Nov 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Serena wants to make it harder to Aga to vulture No. 1

Nicolás89
Nov 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Sarin wants that title. :oh:

babsi
Nov 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know how much power the WTA council has? Because I doubt the WTA would be letting the players make these kinds of decisions...

deboraski
Nov 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know how much power the WTA council has? Because I doubt the WTA would be letting the players make these kinds of decisions...

According to the translated article the WTA passed the decision to allow or not Aga to play the International to the Council.

In The Zone
Nov 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Should be a new rule

I agree but - then you're taking the place of a lower ranked player from the MD and bumping another one out of the qualifying draw. It would feed the argument that the top continue to get paid way more than the bottom.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 20th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Why would they have to do it? Caroline after Istanbul YEC was 11th so she's not on TOP10 Marquee list.

True.

However the season ended after the Sofia tournament of champions, not after the YEC. I promise you Caroline finished the official 2012 season in the top 10.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Why does the thread title list who voted for the exception when the article referenced doesn't say who voted which way? Am I missing something and does it somewhere report who voted which way- or are we all speculating? ....just curious.

Jimmie48
Nov 20th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Why does the thread title list who voted for the exception when the article referenced doesn't say who voted which way? Am I missing something and does it somewhere report who voted which way- or are we all speculating? ....just curious.

No,you're not missing anything. It's a typical GM case of a misleading headline.

Morning Morgan
Nov 21st, 2012, 12:40 AM
To be honest the most interesting thing in this whole issue is who voted yes. Would love to have aga find out karo voted no :oh:

dragonflies
Nov 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Serena doesn't care about PMs such as the Bejing- Tokyo that's worth roughly 2 thousand points and let her competitors took those points to be ahead of her for the YE ranking. So she certainly couldn't careless for MMs that has no impact on her. I think the other 3 players voted No, b/c they actually compete in those international tournies and play even more than Aga did last year. With the rules of limits, Aga's participation could directly affect theirs.

Manitou
Nov 21st, 2012, 01:41 AM
My theory is that Aga does not want to play in that tournament anyway. She always had bad memory with home tournaments. The Radwanska team has many enemies in her home country and Polish Internet portals are full of people who openly insult her and her father.
There are many reasons, mostly political, but I also think Robert Radwanski is not an easy people person either. They do not have a good PR in Poland, period.

Of course, she has many very faithful and proud fans too, myself included, but generally I think they would welcome any excuse to skip that tournament. They would never say it openly in order not to damage this image even further, but I think this is what is happening.

Anyway, this is only my theory based on past observations, but I might be wrong...

Patrick345
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:02 AM
You all do understand that the players council is supposed to represent the interests of all players not just their own? So Serena, Wozniacki, Stosur and Schiavone might not care what Radwanska does in Poland, but a lot of lower-ranked players they also represent do.

If they make an exception here, suddenly everybody wants exceptions. Instead of tournaments raising overall prize money to attract better fields, organisers will just pay the 220k for the full event and two appearance fees, and tell the players to apply for the exceptions. No need to open that can of worms.

Wiggly
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:05 AM
There's no way that vote went 1-3. There's more than four players on that Council.
Radwanska just had to play Brisbane instead of Auckland.

guichard
Nov 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM
You all do understand that the players council is supposed to represent the interests of all players not just their own? So Serena, Wozniacki, Stosur and Schiavone might not care what Radwanska does in Poland, but a lot of lower-ranked players they also represent do.

If they make an exception here, suddenly everybody wants exceptions. Instead of tournaments raising overall prize money to attract better fields, organisers will just pay the 220k for the full event and two appearance fees, and tell the players to apply for the exceptions. No need to open that can of worms.
Yes but in this particular case the solution is simple if Radwanska really wants to play it. It is not a good case to go to the council. It is not like we are in mid january and she already played Auckland

There's no way that vote went 1-3. There's more than four players on that Council.
Radwanska just had to play Brisbane instead of Auckland.

It probably means that just the 4 top 20 representatives voted. If the story is accurate

RVD
Nov 21st, 2012, 05:50 AM
Why does the thread title list who voted for the exception when the article referenced doesn't say who voted which way? Am I missing something and does it somewhere report who voted which way- or are we all speculating? ....just curious.I wondered the same thing and thought that I was missing something.
Then the recollection that this is the off-season hit me square between the eyes.

dragonflies
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:14 AM

Good point.

Lot of people think making decision about this matter based on personal view, but since the council represents other players, it should be more concerned about all the players' sake.

However, imo, this one is more about lower ranked players than top players. Since prize money at those MMs are too little comparing to Premiers, organizers have to pay appearance fees in order to get top 10 players to play and hoping to sell more tickets. Top 10ers simply don't play MMs, unless getting paid extra ( Azarenka didn't want to play a MM this year b/c they didn't pay her enough). Therefore, tournaments always have to pay more than 2 appearance fees if they want to have more than 2 top tenners. Aga is an exception b/c this is her hometown tournie, so she is under the media pressure that expects her to show up to promote the tournament. Regardless, she would certainly demand the fee if she is going to play.

Lower ranked players seemed to be affected by this rule far more than the top players. Since international tournies usually have 32 slot draws and the participation are too elitist, lower ranked players' chance to play is always at the mercy of top players' wishes. It's irony that the lesser players make less money, need more money, more chances to be in the draws, yet often have to fight tooth and nail to make it through the qualification rounds, while top 20, 30 players 's names pop up in every draw make all the draws look the same and give the feeling that WTA only contains of those few dozen players.

Limiting top players 's participation at MMs would give some opportunities to some lower ranked players to make their moves.

About the voting, there were probably more than those aforementioned players that voted. The votes should be an odd number to make a difference in order to make a decision. If 4 players that have a tied 2-2, then how would a conclusion can be made?

doni1212
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM
Lordrena has spoken. So it was written, so it shall be done.

:lol:

JustPetko
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:15 AM
Everything is against her :sobbing:

Manitou
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:25 AM
Good point.

. Aga is an exception b/c this is her hometown tournie, so she is under the media pressure that expects her to show up to promote the tournament.

One: it is not her hometown tournament, she has nothing to do with Katowice
Two: she has no interest in promoting the tournament as it is Piotr's (Karolina's father) tournament.
Three: Robert Radwanski doesn't care about Polish media pressure. In fact, their last participation in a Polish tournament ended with a scandal and he is not really keen to go through it again.

The most they can get is Urszula, which is actually very likely. I don't count Karolina, of course, as she is obvious to be there.

dragonflies
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:40 AM
One: it is not her hometown tournament, she has nothing to do with Katowice
Two: she has no interest in promoting the tournament as it is Piotr's tournament.
Three: Robert doesn't care about Polish media pressure. In fact, their last participation in a Polish tournament ended with a scandal and he is not really keen to go through it again.

Good to know, thanks.;)

My response was mainly about how the rules affects lower ranked players. About Aga's wish to participate in this tourney, it was based on the point that raised earlier, and also in the title of this thread that " those 3 players gang up against exception Aga to play in her home WTA in Katowice."

You live there in Poland, so you obviously know what's going on there.

To sum it up, there is no fuss about this thread. Since it's not Aga's home town. Aga doesn't want to play there and doesn't care about the media pressure. So Aga doesn't have to think about Katowice at all. Her coach didn't have to bring this issue up and mentioned ( or complained?) those players voted against her in the first place. Isn't that what she wanted? Yikes.

Manitou
Nov 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
You live there in Poland

I don't, but it's not the point... :)

To sum it up, there is no fuss about this thread. Since it's not Aga's home town. Aga doesn't want to play there and doesn't care about the media pressure. So Aga doesn't have to think about Katowice at all. Her coach didn't have to bring this issue up and mentioned ( or complained?) those players voted against her in the first place. Isn't that what she wanted? Yikes.

pretty much ... :)

Bartosh
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:22 PM
If 4 players that have a tied 2-2, then how would a conclusion can be made?

Lordrena's vote is far superior than those other votes.

Royals.
Nov 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Well rules are RULES.

Sorry Aga but that's how the cookie crumbles.

chingching
Nov 21st, 2012, 10:27 PM
Should be a new rule

:yeah:

MercuriePL
Nov 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lordrena's vote is far superior than those other votes.

Lordrena should be banned from slams for not participating in Indian Wells/Beijing/Premier 5 Tournaments. If she can't play many tournaments, she should be allowed to participate in slams only partially. WTA rules should be for all players, no exception for Williamses/Sharapova.

dragonflies
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Lordrena should be banned from slams for not participating in Indian Wells/Beijing/Premier 5 Tournaments. If she can't play many tournaments, she should be allowed to participate in slams only partially. WTA rules should be for all players, no exception for Williamses/Sharapova.

Talking nonsense. Just as lame as saying Serena's vote should be counted as 2 votes.

For starter. Slams participation is under ITF 's control, not WTA. For not playing Indian Wells, since when we should blame the victims? I wouldn't be surprised if you beat up/ bullied some poor kids in your school then vocal accused them for being unable/ afraid to come to classes. For playing less, perhaps all the seniors/ part time working moms out there should not allowed to work at all because they don't work full time due to being older or having other duties?. I could go on, but the stupidity was clear enough for any sane person to see already.

If anything, lower ranked players should be appreciated for top ranked players skipping tournaments once in a while to give them opportunities to participate in the big tournaments, instead of keep seeing the same old faces every week. That's called " live and let's live". Some younger stars could possibly break through and emerge to the main stage with those given opportunities.

flareon
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:31 PM
More bitchy handshakes next year :sobbing:

dsanders06
Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM
If 4 players that have a tied 2-2, then how would a conclusion can be made?

Maria would get the casting vote. Even though she probably would have no idea what the tournament was, I'm sure she would've jumped at the chance to be a spiteful bitch to Aga :drool:

RyanGuy
Nov 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
If Serena voted no then she is a white 46 year old lady from America