PDA

View Full Version : Most fan friendly players

Manitou
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I am wondering about your direct observations of how players interact directly with the fans. Are they cold, are they approachable?

I have my own observations from the tournaments I attended. The players who are usually smiling to their fans when signing are Del Potro, Novak, Ana, David Ferrer, Karolina, Rafael. Simon even poses with fans for photos. I remember Del Potro practicing once when a kid shouted through security asking Delpo to come, and he came to the kid with a big smile. Very friendly to the fans are also American players: Roddick, Querrey, the Brians, Christina.
Also Marion and Angelique are very friendly. They even chat with fans when signing.
The coldest players I knew was Petra and Maria Sharapova. They were both like made of ice and they appeared to be annoyed by having to sign. Aga was not smiling either when I was asking her for a signature in Polish, but I forgive her. :) I love her anyway! :)

--

AjdeNate!
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Roddick was fan friendly only when he won. If he lost, he was a petulant child whose toys were taken from him.

Monica was always extremely obliging of time and photos.

Stonerpova
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I think Kvitova and Pova are both just shy.

I met Clijsters at Cincy a couple years ago and she was as nice as the media makes her out to be. Total sweetheart, and she made me regret all those time I rooted against her :lol:

LightWarrior
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I think Kvitova and Pova are both just shy.

Since when is Pova shy ? I think she's very self-assured

matthias
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
look at my signature
Petko taking pictures with Fans is GOAT
if you dont know her you could mean im the celebrety and she asked for a picture with me
and she is that way with every single Fan asking for a picture

Barktra
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Petkovic is definitely

king and shvedova are very :yeah:

Big_Banana
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I shared a few words with Na this year and she's very nice, a beautiful smile :)
also when taking the photo with her. she looked surprised when I wanted to shake her hand after, she said "thank you" in exchange :spit: :hug:

Drake1980
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
look at my signature
Petko taking pictures with Fans is GOAT
if you dont know her you could mean im the celebrety and she asked for a picture with me
and she is that way with every single Fan asking for a picture

She is so nice! :hearts: She gave me her towel at Indian Wells! :)
Other really friendly players are:
Paszek
Lisicki
Wozniak
Huber(yes, she is really nice off court)
Hlavackova
Cetkovska
Hradecka

Barktra
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hlacakova is really nice to

nazzac
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I would love to meet some players. Del Potro, Tsonga, and Slava especially. Next year may hopefully be my year as i'm planning on going to Wimbledon or the ATP tour finals.

I know someone who has met Tsonga, and he said that Jo was a great guy

duhcity
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Honestly, I think they're all quite friendly if they're playing well and winning.

I think you'll find most doubles players and lower ranked players to be very receptive to fans, especially those who speak their native language.
And since you mentioned guys, I saw Daniel Brands at the US Open this year, and after losing to Cilic 7-5 in the fifth, he stopped for every single autograph and picture request. Class act.

And I saw Kerber practicing on a court at the US Open this year, no one really watching her even though she was about to play Venus, people asking me who she was since I was just sitting and watching (taking a break and eating as well). And when she finished her session I got my autograph and told her I was sure she was going to beat Venus that night, and she smiled and said thank you. And then signed autographs for a bunch of little girls despite it being clear they had no idea who she was.

Stonerpova
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Since when is Pova shy ? I think she's very self-assured

Self assured, sure, but she seems to be someone who keeps to herself. I've heard many say she's very friendly with fans, but I also think she's all business when there's tennis involved. She doesn't seem to be as flamboyant as some of the other players, hence her smaller entourage and no-BS approach to tennis.

Jack.
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Caroline is the only player I've ever met (I was working at a golf tournament and she was there with Rory :oh: ) and she was really nice. Really smiley and signed an autograph for me. :D

moodin0931
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I met Oudin and she was the sweetest girl :) She looked like she was in a hurry but she still stopped and took a picture and me and initiated a conversation. I was telling her all about how much I love her and her game and she was all smiles saying thank you and aww. :hug: :D

danieln1
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Ivanovic.

Freakan
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Wozniak, Paszek, Gajdosova, Spears, Pironkova.

Wiggly
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Self assured, sure, but she seems to be someone who keeps to herself. I've heard many say she's very friendly with fans, but I also think she's all business when there's tennis involved. She doesn't seem to be as flamboyant as some of the other players, hence her smaller entourage and no-BS approach to tennis.

Sharapova's personality changes there's mainstream cameras on her.

TeamUla
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Polina Pekhova :worship:

Potato
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Jankovic is great with the fans, she took a picture with me and I remember it didn't turn out so well and she was more than willing to take another one :)

moodin0931
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Jankovic is great with the fans, she took a picture with me and I remember it didn't turn out so well and she was more than willing to take another one :)

Was this recent? Cause she's probably just happy she still has fans a fan :oh:

jameshazza
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Maria does seem reserved. Probably comes with dealing with flocks of fans daily.
She seems to keep more to herself after matches/practice. From fan stories she seems to be much more laid back if you get a chance to meet her one on one.

Petra is just shy, I can imagine her thinking 'wtf? Why do they want my autograph?'

Charlatan
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Kerber :) She is really sweet.

and JJ
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5128/run.gif

moodin0931
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
:lol: ^who is that?

Steven.
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Sharapova's personality changes there's mainstream cameras on her.

what people don't seem to understand about introversion is that they CAN be social. They CAN be very comfortable around many people, however it gets extremely exhausting to them.

With a glamorous life like Maria where she is exposed to people constantly, and being an obvious natural introvert she does need her time alone. And off court and out of the spotlight is where she does regain her energy and temperment so obviously she might appear cold sometimes to her fans.

Charlatan
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:30 AM
:lol: ^who is that?

One of those JJ stans from JJ forum following Empress

Svetlana)))
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Raonic stopped to take a picture with me after he lost a marathon 5 setter at RG this year :hearts:

Pops Maellard
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Wozniak, Paszek, Gajdosova, Spears, Pironkova.

Just don't call her Britney right? :oh:

nevetssllim
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I don't normally bother players for autographs but Shvedova was very friendly and engaging when I asked her for an autograph in Birmingham last year. :) I like to watch how players respond to fan requests and I do find most players are pretty happy to sign an autograph or pose for a photo, especially in the smaller events a la Birmingham. I'd say Czink, Karatantcheva, Razzano, Kanepi, Kudryavtseva and Lucic (perhaps names you wouldn't really expect too) have also come off very well when I've seen them around the grounds.

Tag
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:37 AM
sharapova doesn't have a personality

she's like madonna but younger :o

i have heard nothing but good things about kim and marion :hearts:

Lachy
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Petkovic - at the AO she was practicing and there were only a couple of people watching and a few younger kids. Afterwards she made a point to autograph a ball and give it to each person watching.

Vania - she's just really nice :lol: I interrupted her for a photo during an interview and she didn't even care and just did it :lol:

Kəv.
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Jarka & Mattek-Sands :p

miffedmax
Nov 18th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Lisicki is an absolute sweetheart with fans.

The one who I thought might be kind of a bitch was Dulko, but she is actually very kind and attentive to fans.

JJ is funny. She comes across as wanting to be icy, but she can't help but smile and chat if you approach her.

Begu is shy but nice, or at least that's my impression.

Invisible Fan
Nov 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Only player I've approached for an autograph is Anna Chak. She scribbled indecipherably and seemed like she would rather have flushed me down a toilet than say anything to me :o
But I've read others say she is fan friendly so I'm writing it off as an off day :)

espana
Nov 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Sorana Cirstea is very friendly and nice genuine person :yeah:

Petkorazzi
Nov 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Sesil Karatantcheva from my very limited experience at tournaments. She's so friendly that literally everyone who talked to her felt like they'd known her forever.

Wert.
Nov 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Sorana Cirstea is very friendly and nice genuine person :yeah:

Who fistpumps on the errors of player who is playing her last match in the career :yeah:

Jajaloo
Nov 18th, 2012, 10:16 AM
JJ always smiles if you say something to her when she signs things for you. Wozniacki is really nice too. Kuznetsova is by far the nicest player I've come across. She saw there were 4-5 people wanting her autograph while she was training at the AO on one of the outside courts, and said "20 minutes guys", and then she happily signed things when we came back.

Sharapova wasn't rude, but signing things was just another job for her. She at least stuck around after her AO 2008 R1 match against Kostanic Tosic to sign heaps of autographs. Vaidisova was a real beetch the two times I encountered her. 2007 AO 3R win against Srebotnik she cbf signing any autographs, despite only a handful of us cheering for her in the 37 degree sun. In 2006 just as she had finished training and she was signing autographs, she was nice and stopped to sign things at first, then someone yelled "Look! It's Sharapova!!" and at that point she didn't have a f*** to give and slutted her way off.

Dementieva, Myskina and Dokic were quite nice too.

Petkovic
Nov 18th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Schiavone, Clijsters and Petko :) Even though I like her, Robson wasn't too nice when I met her at the Aus Open this year. She won her 3rd qualifying round and there was a bunch of people waiting next to the court, but she seemed really rushed and a bit annoyed. Maybe an off-day.

young_gunner913
Nov 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I met Likhovtseva at WTT and she was very nice. Kournikova couldn't be bothered to interact with any fans because she was on Mark Knowles' dick that night. :o

nevetssllim
Nov 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Schiavone, Clijsters and Petko :) Even though I like her, Robson wasn't too nice when I met her at the Aus Open this year. She won her 3rd qualifying round and there was a bunch of people waiting next to the court, but she seemed really rushed and a bit annoyed. Maybe an off-day.

Schiavone was rather rude when some Italian fans asked her for an autograph at the Olympics. I mean, I know she'd just played a match but Pennetta obliged and it would have been nice to show some gratitude as they've probably traveled from Italy to see them.

In fact I got her reaction on camera. :lol: :tape:

http://i48.tinypic.com/wwm2o4.jpg

SilverSlam
Nov 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Nicest player I've met is Djokovic. By far.
Followed by Henin (:spit:) Dellacqua, Stosur, Isner and Oudin.

Hewitt was the worst after losing a match, and Ana was almost in tears after losing to Henin so she didn't want to hang around signing autographs.

moodin0931
Nov 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Nicest player I've met is Djokovic. By far.
Followed by Henin (:spit:) Dellacqua, Stosur, Isner and Oudin.

Hewitt was the worst after losing a match, and Ana was almost in tears after losing to Henin so she didn't want to hang around signing autographs.

You met Oudin too? :hearts:

Manitou
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I also observed Novak is very friendly with the fans. He takes all the time to make sure no fan is left out. And he does it with smile and patience.
I agree about Isner too.
I never had a chance to approach Roger or Vika, though. I am wondering how their interaction with the fans looks like.

Oh, I forgot to mention an incident. When Ana was signing I accidentally dropped my marker and had no chance to recover it. To my surprise Ana picked it from the ground and gave it to me.

Another incident I had with Piotr Wozniacki. He was walking around the grounds and then I approached him and wanted to wish all good luck to Karolina in Polish. Somehow my brain went dumb and instead of saying good luck to Caro I said good luck to Agnieszka. He looked at me with surprise and walked away. I never felt so stupid. Till today I feel embarrassed whenever I think of that!

Melange
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I dont know why anyone would try to bother players after they have lost a match, especially at a slam. Do you really expect them to be nice.

matthias
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:44 PM
i once met Daniela Hantuchova, in Hamburg (long time ago)
and she was sooooooooo shy, i guess some people would think she is kind of arrogant, but it was shyness for sure
i asked her for a pic and she agreed

Petkovic
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Schiavone was rather rude when some Italian fans asked her for an autograph at the Olympics. I mean, I know she'd just played a match but Pennetta obliged and it would have been nice to show some gratitude as they've probably traveled from Italy to see them.

In fact I got her reaction on camera. :lol: :tape:

http://i48.tinypic.com/wwm2o4.jpg

Haha! What a picture! I met her a couple of years ago. To me, she hasn't looked/acted like the person she used to be this year. Grumpier. So I can understand this scene at the Olympics ;)

Other players who were quite nice: Rus, Stephens, Stosur

Melange
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I also observed Novak is very friendly with the fans. He takes all the time to make sure no fan is left out. And he does it with smile and patience.
I agree about Isner too.
I never had a chance to approach Roger or Vika, though. I am wondering how their interaction with the fans looks like.

Knock yourself out
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=437515

Melange
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I have said it before but Nastia is one of the best :hearts:

Brad[le]y.
Nov 18th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Who fistpumps on the errors of player who is playing her last match in the career :yeah:

As opposed to Schnyder who was a model class act on court :lol:

This refers to nicest players OFF COURT. What they do whe they play is irrelevant.

Saraya!
Nov 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Nobody so friendly to fans like JJ!!!

Zamboni
Nov 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Schiavone is very up and down in my experience.

All the players I've ever approached for an autograph or picture (there aren't that many;)) have been nice, except for Henin. But Flavia's the nicest hands down.:hearts: Not just obliging, but making conversation and all. Just don't approach her after a loss.:lol:

Oh, and Esther Vergeer is great too. Very kind.