PDA

View Full Version : Your stance on Hopman Cup?

Uranium
Nov 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Exhibition or Tournament?

It is an ITF ran event like Olympics, Grand Slams, and Fed Cup (all of which are events I count as tournaments), but Hopman Cup just comes across as an exhibition. WTA acknowledges Fed Cup and the Olympics, but not Hopman Cup. This site even counts it as an exhibition. But some fans like to think of it as a tournament worth counting as a title. Opinions please.

dynamoRockstarr
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
A really serious exhibition

sweetadri06
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Exhibition

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM

That's a good way to describe it, yeah.

I do take results from this event more seriously than I would any other exhibition event. I do believe the players go here to win, at least the majority of them. Personally I think the results here should be listed by the WTA but having said all that, in terms of importance I'd still rate these results pretty low in comparison to Fed Cup or any WTA results. It's still a fun event though and I do follow it. And it is a cool title to win as well.

But for things like h2hs I suppose I would put it on the level of a 75K or higher ITF event. So something that I would like listed but still wouldn't give as much value to as a WTA or Fed Cup win.

Shonami Slam
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM
a smileful joke.

AjdeNate!
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:59 PM
An amuse bouche to a tasty first course.

wildemu
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
it should be abolished.

coolfish1103
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Any tournament that awards points and/or decent money for losing = exhibition.

A'DAM
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Any tournament that awards points and/or decent money for losing = exhibition.

Well than Istanbul masters was definitely an exhibition tournament ...

bobito
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM
It's an ITF team event so it shouldn't count as a title but the singles matches should count on the players' records.

It's a great tournament though and the WTA should leave it alone. And as throphies go, those diamond tennis balls are second only to Wimbledon's Venus Rosewater Dish for style.

GOATdin0931
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Tournament!! :hearts:

There would such good competition!! :drool:

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:05 PM
It's an ITF team event so it shouldn't count as a title but the singles matches should count on the players' records.

Succinctly put. Absolutely spot on.

aloeball
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Dont the results count towards the head to heads, I heard somewhere. If it is then I should a more serious exhibition.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Dont the results count towards the head to heads, I heard somewhere. If it is then I should a more serious exhibition.

It depends what H2H you look at. Look at the WTA H2Hs and you won't see Hopman Cup H2Hs there. But check the ITF H2Hs and they are very much there. There are other H2H collections all over the internet as well, some include the Hopman Cup some don't. Personally I think it's best to have it there and then the individual who is looking up the H2H can make up their own mind on the relevance of the particular match in question.

doktor
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM
WTA and ATP should both back it heavily. It's an interesting and different format and a top way to start the year. It should be bigger.

marineblue
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
The second most important exhibition after Fed Cup.

August
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I'd compare it to ATP's, now discontinued, World Team Cup. Both events were, at least in recent years, prep events for AO and RG, I don't know if that's always been the case. Still, they are more serious than many exhos, and ATP WTC gave ranking points.

Being ITF-sanctioned probably makes it an exho for WTA/ATP, but if ATP WTC wasn't an exho, then I would say neither Hopman Cup is. I'd count it in H2Hs, those are serious matches.

Rex59
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM
For an exhibition, attendance "is massive". Make it a tourney worth a title.....

http://www.tourism.wa.gov.au/Publications%20Library/Media%20Releases/2011-01-17%20Hopman%20Cup%20XXIII%20sets%20new%20attendanc e%20and%20television%20ratings%20records.pdf

LightWarrior
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM

Yeah it's weird, it looks like a real tournament with no points awarded. Aside from the cash I've always wondered why so many top players choose to play Hopman Cup. It's a great event though, players are all motivated and there's a great atmostphere.

Yoncé
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah it's weird, it looks like a real tournament with no points awarded. Aside from the cash I've always wondered why so many top players choose to play Hopman Cup. It's a great event though, players are all motivated and there's a great atmostphere.

A lot of players probably like playing there because they are guaranteed six matches at the start of the season against strong competition and most people want to win one of the tennis balls :lol:

dany.p
Nov 18th, 2012, 02:09 AM
its respeceted by the fans and players, and its different to other exhibitions in that it seems the players take it quite seriously. makes for good matches. plus i support it even more just because it's not associated with atp or wta, which is a plus.

Maddox
Nov 18th, 2012, 05:09 AM
It should definitely be a tournament. But alas I really doubt they would change it :o

brickhousesupporter
Nov 18th, 2012, 05:14 AM
The only exhibition that Serena takes seriously.

bobito
Nov 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Players don't react like this at regular exhibition events.

http://www.dohastadiumplusqatar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/HOPMAN-CUP-300x160.jpg

Sweety Darling
Nov 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Where's the option: Pointless.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM

These :oh:

Lachy
Nov 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I Love Hopman Cup

Excelscior
Nov 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
f this hasn't already been said: Its a Tournament when your fave wins it, and a exhibition when anyone else does. :eek:

homogenius
Nov 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
exho.most players use it to get some matches as a preparation for the AO

Jajaloo
Nov 18th, 2012, 03:10 PM
exho.most players use it to get some matches as a preparation for the AO

As opposed to Brisbane, Sydney and Auckland which players use to kill time in between sight seeing.

n1_and_uh_noone
Nov 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Not all countries and (obviously) players can participate, even if they wanted to. So it is hard to see it as a serious tournament.

SilverSlam
Nov 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hmm. From a players perspective, they always do seem to take the singles matches seriously, whereas they have more fun in the doubles.

I think that yes, the H2Hs should count, as they are competitive and serious, but as for going towards titles and stuff, not so much.

Gentleman
Nov 19th, 2012, 12:03 AM
What?!

Guys, the players play during holidays, they have to deal with hangover, try delicious food, have sex time while looking some holiday's special romantic movie, get ready tomorrow, wake up early and play their best in Hopman cup.

For me, enough reasons to be A RESPECTED TOURNAMENT!

Best luck Ana and Novak in HC 2013!

MM_1257
Nov 19th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Exhibition with some serious weight.

dencod16
Nov 19th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Even more than non-slam tournaments at times. I wish they award points on Hopman Cup as well, because players takes it seriously and doubles dead rubbers are always fun.

duhcity
Nov 19th, 2012, 12:59 AM
It survives simply because of it's place in the Calendar - it's a guaranteed warmup

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
It's an exhibition but I think players do take it quite seriously as they want some good workouts before the proper tournaments ;). So I think it's somewhere in-between. A match between two players at Hopman Cup should be looked upon as a real match.

jaredlikesbieber
Nov 19th, 2012, 04:57 AM
exo.

couldn't believe watching davis cup final earlier one of the commentators on my livestream said the czech republic had completed the 'treble' of DC, fed cup and hopman cup. like the hopman cup is worth the same as the others :haha:

CillyUltra
Nov 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
The second most important exhibition after Fed Cup.

This. While Fed Cup always lacked relevance, Hopman Cup used to have a higher standing in the past, when it attracted more top players 'cause the competition on the tour (and the pressure of gaining/defending points) wasn't that intensive right from the beginning of the season as it is now.

azdaja
Nov 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
glorified exo.

tejmeglekvár
Nov 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM
f this hasn't already been said: Its a Tournament when your fave wins it, and a exhibition when anyone else does. :eek:

speaking from experience, I see. :oh: