PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for the US to raise the gasoline tax?

HippityHop
Nov 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I saw a report that said the US carbon emissions is now about where they were in 1990. We haven't had a gasoline tax hike at the Federal level since (I believe) 1993.

A 75 cents/gallon tax could also help fund the infrastructure spending that many want to do. With gas prices dropping, I believe that now is the time to raise the gasoline tax.

tennisbum79
Nov 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I saw a report that said the US carbon emissions is now about where they were in 1990. We haven't had a gasoline tax hike at the Federal level since (I believe) 1993.

A 75 cents/gallon tax could also help fund the infrastructure spending that many want to do. With gas prices dropping, I believe that now is the time to raise the gasoline tax.

About a month ago, I would have said it is likely.
But with news of US becoming the largest producer of oil in the world by 2020, the political will will not be there.

Not to mention, Americans are already complaining about gas prices, no politician will dare advocating raising the gasoline tax.

Cineast
Nov 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Here in the US we have quite a few Democrats (notably the thoroughly replusive Chuck Schumer from my state) who will grandstand about any moral panic of the day, including gas prices. Yet many of the people who haul in the oil company execs for hearing also claim to favor taxes to "fight" "climate change".

I fail to understand why $10/gallon (or pick whatever arbitrarily high number you want) gas is so wicked if the money ends up in the hands of shareholders, but suddenly, magically becomes virtuous if the money ends up in the hands of Big Government.

saint2
Nov 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
No. Raising taxes is always bad, period.

How the hell gasoline tax raise will lower pollution ?

Want less polution ? Build proper biking lanes and bus communication-problem solved.

ys
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I suggested it a while ago. Do not make it a budgetary tax. Make it a rebate based tax. Hike a price of gas by a dollar, with all those money being paid back to people at the end of the year as a rebate on per-adult basis. To punish those who runs those 4L monsters.

Barrie_Dude
Nov 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I rather doubt that this will happen

*JR*
Nov 18th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I suggested it a while ago. Do not make it a budgetary tax. Make it a rebate based tax. Hike a price of gas by a dollar, with all those money being paid back to people at the end of the year as a rebate on per-adult basis. To punish those who runs those 4L monsters.

As with your proposed discounts on health insurance premiums for healthy habits, I think there's potential in the above. As you said "per adult" (not for example, a flat % of taxable income) it would be progressive in nature, going to mass transit riders too. If it were up to me though, I'd still try to direct a good chunk of such a tax increase to infrastructure rehabilitation, though. (Also perhaps to clean energy research).