PDA

View Full Version : Tennis fans chose 4 players to be on the cover of AO 2013

NashaMasha
Nov 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Tennis Fanatics were allowed to choose the top four players for the Australian Open 2013 cover via voting and the lists are finally out. The players that have managed to secure a place in the cover of the New Year’s first Grand Slam tournament are the second ranked Russian blonde, Maria Sharapova, who will share a picture with the 11-time Grand Slam Champion, Rafael Nadal. These two players will be on the left-hand side of the cover photo. On the right side, it will be none other than the 17-time Grand Slam Champion, Roger Federer, who will be accompanied by the second woman in the history of tennis to claim a Career Gold Slam, Serena Williams. These four players will grace the cover of the Official Program for the event.

both #1 and defending champions failed to be chosen , probably will be added by organizers

http://blogs.bettor.com/Australian-Open-2013-cover-features-Sharapova,-Nadal,-Federer-and-Serena-Tennis-News-a201550

http://s05.radikal.ru/i178/1211/8e/96a7c5b4d219.jpg

jameshazza
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:06 PM
No surprise. Glad Maria is with Rafa though :inlove:

sweetadri06
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
No surprise.

NashaP
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Where is the number one player in the world? :oh:

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

danieln1
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Nadull over Djokovic???? What a disgusting poll

The other three should be on the cover.

GOATdin0931
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Azarenka and Djokovic will be there too because they're the defending champs me thinks :)

Nabalonge
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:39 PM
What if Nadal doesn't even play the Australian? There should always be some sort of respect paid to the most recent champions.

jameshazza
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Despite Djokovic and Murray being very much a part of the media/ATP's big four campaign, the general public and endorsers are only here for Nadal and Fed.

Natural Joe
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
The four most popular tennis players in the world have been chosen, no surprise :shrug:

NashaMasha
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM
What if Nadal doesn't even play the Australian? There should always be some sort of respect paid to the most recent champions.

probably he guaranteed that will be playing

Stonerpova
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM
NID. They'll probably throw Novak and the Demon Spawn in because they're both #1 and both defending titles.

NashaMasha
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
NID. They'll probably throw Novak and the Demon Spawn in because they're both #1 and both defending titles.

the more funny is that both #1 and defending champs together collected less votes than Nadal alone , who didn't play since Wimbledon :lol:

Kasey
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I guess we'll have to wait for a couple of beatdowns given to Martha by Vika at Aussie Open and to make tards forget about the Shrieking Razor.
The Olderer and Martha have no legits to be on the pics and shoul've been replaced by the defending champs Djoko and Vika.

NashaP
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I guess we'll have to wait for a couple of beatdowns given to Martha by Vika at Aussie Open and to make tards forget about the Shrieking Razor.
The Olderer and Martha have no legits to be on the pics and shoul've been replaced by the defending champs Djoko and Vika.

The people have spoken. Deal with it.

sweetadri06
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Olderer did win a slam this year and is the most popular tennis player in the world.

End da Game
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:07 PM
how predictable

obviously if you let fans choose, its no surprise that the 4 most popular players will get chosen

Kasey
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
The people have spoken. Deal with it.

Nah, it's just the Guardians of the Shrieking Razor raising their voice.

NashaMasha
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Nah, it's just the Guardians of the Shrieking Razor raising their voice.

nobody cares about Azarenka , she is still a nobody outside devoted tennis fans and some tennis journalists....

Djokovic , who is a much greater player, with much more achievements is still not as popular as he deserves.

Simugna Help
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:00 PM

She's already in :shrug:

ShiftyFella
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Djokovic , who is a much greater player, with much more achievements is still not as popular as he deserves.
No, there just more Fedtards. I'm not surprised to see this 4 players to be chosen, since they all have big fanbase and people who don't know much about tennis defiantly heard about them but it's not nice to not include #1 players and defending champs

Drake1980
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Roger and Serena! :hearts:

Patrick345
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:09 PM
both #1 and defending champions failed to be chosen , probably will be added by organizers

http://blogs.bettor.com/Australian-Open-2013-cover-features-Sharapova,-Nadal,-Federer-and-Serena-Tennis-News-a201550

Good you explained the picture otherwise I would have guessed this is one of those "Who doesn´t belong in the picture and why"-games. :devil:

Kasey
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:22 PM
nobody cares about Azarenka , she is still a nobody outside devoted tennis fans and some tennis journalists....

Yet you couldn't help coming up with this cover photo thing and basically brought Vika into this thread.
So kind of you to mention her.

Now don't freak out and don't run into the fellow Guardians' arms seeking comfort when I tell you that you might actually care about Vika, cause you just did that.

NashaMasha
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Yet you couldn't help coming up with this cover photo thing and basically brought Vika into this thread.
So kind of you to mention her.

she is YE №1 and definitely deserves some critics for being unpopular , actually her level of popularity is not more than Wozniacki's who did nothing this year

fouc
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:22 PM
the more funny is that both #1 and defending champs together collected less votes than Nadal alone , who didn't play since Wimbledon :lol:

where are the exact numbers of votes?

tennisbum79
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM

No surprise, but I think Vika and Djokovic fans might object and make a case for each.

sav001
Nov 17th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Here is the official article from the AO website:

Fans select top four for AO cover
Home > News & Photos > Articles > Fans select top four for AO cover

Friday, 9 November, 2012
By Matt Trollope

The public have voted and the results are in – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova will grace the cover of the Australian Open 2013 Official Program.

The superstar quartet will join defending Australian Open champions and world No.1’s Novak Djokovic and Victoria Azarenka on the cover of the annual tournament magazine.

Following a week-long poll on the Australian Open Facebook page, more than 7000 fans voted for the two male and two female players that they would most like to see on the cover of the program.

Federer was the resounding winner among the men, scoring 2855 votes – more than half of the total men’s vote – ahead of Nadal who garnered 1372 votes.

Djokovic finished third with 798 votes, well ahead of fourth and fifth place-getters Juan Martin del Potro and Andy Murray respectively.

On the women’s side, Sharapova topped the poll with 785 votes – a 45.5 per cent share – ahead of Williams with 386 votes and Azarenka with 239. Ana Ivanovic (104) and Agnieszka Radwanska (89) rounded out the top five.

The six cover stars are, appropriately, all former Australian Open winners, having combined for an incredible 15 singles titles. They have also spent time ranked world No.1.

You can see them emblazoned across the Australian Open 2013 Official Program cover from mid-December, with the program available in newsagents. It will also be available on site at Australian Open 2013 from 14-27 January and as an electronic edition in the App Store.

So yes, Novak and Azarenka will also be on the cover of the 2013 Official Program.

dragonflies
Nov 17th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Good you explained the picture otherwise I would have guessed this is one of those "Who doesn´t belong in the picture and why"-games. :devil:

It's interesting that those four are the only active players that have completed a Career Grand Slam They really stand out in that aspect.

Although, if we take out the CGS then Maria is left with zero, while Roger still has 13 other Slams, Serena has 11, and Rafa has 7.:oh:

aloeball
Nov 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I like these top four to represent the face of tennis. But so what if Azarenka was not chosen? I kniw hardcore and casual tennis fans voted but do I give a single fuck about what casual tennis fans think?

The majority of posters on this forum live and die by tennis. I take what they post a little more into consideration than what a casual once a year tennis fan thinks.

The general public dont have a clue about the real details of tennis. I dont care that Azarenka wasnt chosen but she sure held her own in 2012.

Patrick345
Nov 17th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Here is the official article from the AO website:

Fans select top four for AO cover
Home > News & Photos > Articles > Fans select top four for AO cover

Friday, 9 November, 2012
By Matt Trollope

The public have voted and the results are in – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova will grace the cover of the Australian Open 2013 Official Program.

The superstar quartet will join defending Australian Open champions and world No.1’s Novak Djokovic and Victoria Azarenka on the cover of the annual tournament magazine.

Following a week-long poll on the Australian Open Facebook page, more than 7000 fans voted for the two male and two female players that they would most like to see on the cover of the program.

Federer was the resounding winner among the men, scoring 2855 votes – more than half of the total men’s vote – ahead of Nadal who garnered 1372 votes.

Djokovic finished third with 798 votes, well ahead of fourth and fifth place-getters Juan Martin del Potro and Andy Murray respectively.

On the women’s side, Sharapova topped the poll with 785 votes – a 45.5 per cent share – ahead of Williams with 386 votes and Azarenka with 239. Ana Ivanovic (104) and Agnieszka Radwanska (89) rounded out the top five.

The six cover stars are, appropriately, all former Australian Open winners, having combined for an incredible 15 singles titles. They have also spent time ranked world No.1.

You can see them emblazoned across the Australian Open 2013 Official Program cover from mid-December, with the program available in newsagents. It will also be available on site at Australian Open 2013 from 14-27 January and as an electronic edition in the App Store.

So yes, Novak and Azarenka will also be on the cover of the 2013 Official Program.

So all the OP drama for nothing. Djoker and Vika were locks from the beginning. :lol:

But Radwanska lost a Facebook fan contest. :eek: Guess they were too busy fixing the beauty contest quarterfinal here and missed out on the big one. :lol:

NashaMasha
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:03 AM
So all the OP drama for nothing. Djoker and Vika were locks from the beginning. :lol:

But Radwanska lost a Facebook fan contest. :eek: Guess they were too busy fixing the beauty contest quarterfinal here and missed out on the big one. :lol:
do you see the difference

1) Australian Open 2013 Official Program. Here will be no Aza/Djoker
2) Annual tournament magazine. Here Aza /Djoker will join other 4

as for Radwanska , you are abolutely right

Natural Joe
Nov 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM

So Azarenka is third behind Sharapova and Williams, that's actually the best outcome you could expect from any female player other than Maria and Serena. There really is no drama after all, especially since Djokovic is "only" third as well. :lol:

she is YE №1 and definitely deserves some critics for being unpopular , actually her level of popularity is not more than Wozniacki's who did nothing this year

One's position in a ranking has nothing to do with how popular one should be, which means that being YE#1 doesn't equal to being the most popular player in the world. Besides, everybody knows that it's nearly impossible to be more popular than Maria and Serena in a poll like this. With 239 votes it looks to me like Azarenka actually did quite fine.

NashaMasha
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM
At least Azarenka is popular among kittens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km_cS2tWctg&feature=player_embedded

Jajaloo
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Glad they're not having Stosur on the cover. She's gone after day 2 anyway.

Mistress of Evil
Nov 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Nah, it's just the Guardians of raising their voice.

Stop trying to make the Shrieking Razor happen, its not gonna happen.
You have zero creativity and not a single artistic fibre in your body/brain to be able to come up with something witty.

Cosmic Voices
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM

thats hilarious. rena would still rank probably if she took the whole of the year out, same goes for masha. they're global superstars of the sport

Joelina
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Nadal there? :o

matthias
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM
We should have trolled it
And voted for players like lepchenko ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

sav001
Nov 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
do you see the difference

1) Australian Open 2013 Official Program. Here will be no Aza/Djoker
2) Annual tournament magazine. Here Aza /Djoker will join other 4

as for Radwanska , you are abolutely right

Annual tournament magazine and Australian Open 2013 Official Program are the same thing. There is no separate magazine. Read the article again.